Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle purchased way back in August 2006 when it was released. The color is orange and transparent. Smell is grapefruit, pineapple, and pine cones. The taste is very tropical fruit with sweetness and a noticeable alcohol burn. While the hops are not as explosive as they were when I first bought a case, they are still a big factor here. I think this is still holding up very well and is possibly one of my favorite brews.

ArrogantB, Mar 12, 2007
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

finally my store got more of this beer, we originally got about five cases which flew out unbelievably quick, not before I got to try it but before I got to review it, today we finally got more

A- pours a reddish copper color with a creamy white head that ha decent retention and laces nicely

S- wonderful floraly citrusy/floral hop aroma, very crisp and refreshing

T- at first a mild sweet malt taste before the citrusy hop kick nice and clean taste

M- medium body, good carbonation, flavor sticks around a while

D- excellent beer, will try to buy up as much as I can, my favorite IPA from stone, It would be great if this were available year round, my store has a keg of this stuff waiting in the back, I CANNOT WAIT TO TRY THIS OFF TAP

gonzo138, Oct 05, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz. bomber, label #2 of 10. Stone's 10th pours a crystal-clear orange/copper with lively carbonation and an inch of khaki head that leaves nice lacing. It smells of juicy tropical fruits and pine, along with notes of biscuity/toasty malts. The hops contribute grapefruit, mango, passionfruit, orange, and some herbal qualities while the malts are almost syrupy to counteract the IBUs. On the palate, it is almost the same, but with the addition of apricot, pepper, hints of alcohol, and lots of sweet malts. Not quite as bitter as you'd think, being a Stone DIPA, but there are lots of hops in there - I'm thinking Simcoe and some of the American "C" hops. I checked the website and was thrilled that I identified some of the hybrids: Chinook, Crystal, "large doses of Simcoe," and Summit for bitterness. The body is heavy, almost syrupy, yet well-carbonated and leaves a long finish, hiding the alcohol well. Definitely a heady concoction. Overall more balanced than Ruination, with Simcoe very evident in aroma and flavor. Glad I have another bottle.

mmmbeer, Dec 11, 2006

mendvicdog, Jul 19, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11%

S - 22 oz. bomber, bottle # 2 of 10. Thanks to IntriqKen for this freakin' beautiful offering.

A - Deep clear copper, off white head rises to about 1 1/2 inches then down to a sheath on the top of the beer. Inviting is the word.

S - A combo of fruity, floral, and maltiness. Fresh peach and plum, malt is awesome, perfectly balanced. Caramel makes itself known as it warms up. WOW.

T - Sweet maltiness that is perfectly balanced with the huge hop hit and fruity character. Warmth makes me want to curl up into a ball and take a cat-nap. This brew takes the cake.

M - Carbonation and weight on the palate go hand in hand skipping down my throat. Balance to a T.

D - Sweet mother of jesus, give me another!

rsyberg01, Nov 02, 2006

brandoman63, Nov 20, 2011
4.75/5  rDev +11%

This brew was served from the tap at Rattle N’ Hum in New York, NY. The brew arrived in a stemless chalice, glowing a golden red/brown. It held a one finger bubbly tan head of tight, tiny bubbles. This showed great retention, leaving thick sheets of lacing around the glass. Carbonation appeared lighter, and while there was a thick haze, no sediment was noted. The nose was sickly sweet with sugary hops. There was nectary syrup of peach and grapefruit flesh, sweet honey mustard, pale sweeter malts, and a musky, woody aged cheddar cheese with warmth. Our first impression was that this is just sensational. As we sipped, juicy, sweet grapefruit hops crash in, making the mouth water more with each sip. The malts were chalky, pale, drying, and puckering. The middle was sweet to the peak, with huge sweet grapefruit and floral hops. The malts deepened, became more caramel, and sweeter. The finish was of tart, candy sweetness, full nuttiness of cashews, and more of those rapturous hops. The aftertaste breathed of plastic phenols, hollow booze, of soft bittering aromatic hops, spicy hops, black pepper, and a final yeasty twang. The body was full, and the carbonation was soft. Each sip was silky smooth, with beautiful slurp, cream, and froth. The mouth was coated with that same velvety froth which eventually dried the palate a bit. The abv was appropriate, and the beer drank fantastically.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the incredibly smooth flavoring. Our mouths were watering with luscious, juicy hops. The aromatics played into this, completing the package. Additionally, the feel was soft and coating, yet assertive and powerful. With too much warmth the booziness that is otherwise well hidden comes out in numbers, and can overwhelm the palate. Just keep it at that right temperature, just slightly below cellar temperature, and you’re in for the ride of your life.

TheBrewo, Aug 23, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11%

One of the best looking pours I've witnessed in awhile. Brings a tear to my eye. Clean bright ruby/amber red with an awesome fluffy thick cloud of a head that is an off white/yellow/brown in color. Damn good looker.

One complex nose this beer posseses. Piney sweet hop and malt, hints of toffee, hints of fig, freshly picked flowers, dried golden raisins as well.

For how complex the nose is the taste has it beat. Not just complex but almost perfect balance as well. The toffee thick malt lends itself wonderfully to the layered hop flavors. Starts with a piney resiny hop than hits the middle with a sweet floral accent, and ends on the 50 second finish with a twist of citrusy fruit goodness. And in between is dried fruits and even some nutty characteristics that leave an oily palate enamoring sensation.

Rich, creamy, smooth, medium carbonated mouthfeel all equals a beer I'd be more than happy to drink on all day and night and well into the next day.

mcallister, Oct 12, 2006

ferrari29, Aug 03, 2012

ColbySutherland, Sep 01, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11%

Took me about 10 minutes to read the back of the damn bottle, but I'm glad I did... cheers back at ya Mr. Koch!

Poured into a chalice... brilliant deep hazy orange with a 1/2" bright white head which disipates rather quickly. Still, quite a nice looking brew.

WHEW! Smell that pine! I know of few aromas I love more than that of hops, and this one is full of it! Add to that the aromas of grapefruit and other citrus. Fantastic.

KABLAAM!... take that palate! This beer is an all out assault on the taste buds, and I love it. I'm trying hard to remember other DIPAs I like more than this one, and nothing immediately comes to mind. Certainly some in the same league (Great Divide's DIPA, Stone's own Ruination, DFH 90min) but none I would consider better. Tremendous flavours of sharp citrus and pine. Some barely perceptable maltiness comes in the middle, but is quickly beaten down by the huge hop profile. What a brew.

Wonderfully thick and creamy with subdued carbonation.... I actually thought this one would have a bit more carbonation from the appearance, but am pleasantly surprised... Stone lets the hops do the biting on this one, and I, for one, am glad they did.

Drinkable? Sure... especially for a 10% brew. I don't think I could handle more than one bomber in a night though.... too mighty for me.
I have great, great respect for this beer. Here's to another 10 fantastic years for the boys and girls at Stone.

PROST!

nickss, Nov 17, 2006

NEW NOTES FROM TASTING THANKSGIVING 2009:
Tasted again Thanksgiving 2009-same as prior notes but with much richer, bolder and more integrated flavors.

Big pineapple nose;

big rich flavors-bourbon/whiskey flavors but super well balanced and drinking incredibly.

Currently drinking so well (and having been properly stored) I would call it one of the best all around beers I've ever consumed at this point in time. It currently has the flavor profiles of the "cask version" tapped at Stone during it's WinterStorm but with more carbonation.

This beer is currently wonderful. Please, if you have one try it now. This is exactly what one strives for and desires when aging a beer. Just my opinion.

ORIGINAL NOTES FROM 6/25/09:
Bottle - Dark orange honey color with a nice white head.

Mildly sweet orange nose with underlying malt and a hint of banana.

Bold rich and creamy mouth feel with a front palate flavor of sweet fruit, carmel and malt and a finish of grapefruit hops and light burnt toast. Some creamy coffee flavors throughout.

Complex and layered flavors. Interesting example of the bottle being better than the tap.

GRG1313, Jun 25, 2009
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.

naven, Aug 24, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

The hounds seem to know when this yearly release will be good. The last two years, I could have bought cases and cases of the stuff. This year, I had to go far out of my way to obtain one bottle of the nectar. As it usually goes, the quicker it disappears the better it is. And this year is phenomenal.

Out of the precious bottle comes a slow-glugging liquid and head production, owning to its high-gravity. Streamy ruby-copper. Not so pale, but a great ghastly cling arises.

Nose is cheery and overflowing with hops; peachy, gummy, hop-candy. Like the best IPAs, this one seems to be the aroma personification of an actual hop-plant.

Taste is a mouth-numbing flash of goo-sugar (par for the Stone big-IPA course) heat, and tangy-citrus. Liquified hop-perfume.

Lingering bitterness clashes with the close-to-barleywine goo-slick. One bomber disappears quickly and administers proper brain-damage. I bet I would have bought many bottles of this had I been able to. As it stands, a great hat-tip for a great 10 years.

GreenWBush, Aug 20, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

I thought I'd write another review of this beer 8 months after having this for the first time. Poured into an oversized wine glass. I acquired this bottle from a trade with mookow some 6 months ago and some 8 months after it first hit the shelves. This excellent beer pours a clear, deep reddish medium golden color with an orange hue lots and of little bubbles rising up. The head was a good 2/3 inch when poured before settling to a nice surface film layer and a nice white ring lining the inside of my glass along with some damn fine lacing. Even after aging in my cellar for 6 months this baby is still dominated by hops aroma wise. Sweeter aromas of malt and some floral, fruity aromas of grapefruit are also present. Although this beer is not quite the bitter hop monster it was tastewise when I first had it 8 months ago the taste is also still dominated by hops upfront followed by surprisingly sweet malt and a hint of sour grapefruit. Extremely well balanced tastewise. Has a fairly crisp, but also smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Full bodied mouthfeel as well with moderate to high carbonation. I found the mouthfeel to also be sort of chewy or syrupy, but in a good way. This beer sure mellowed with age, but is also certainly more drinkable now. In fact it is surprisingly drinkable. The 10% ABV is well hidden taste and drinkability wise, but you really start to feel it after a few sips. Definitely not a session beer. Not that I have any more of this anyways. This was sadly my second and, at least for now, last bottle. I sure hope I can get more and that Stone decides to brew this on a regular basis, even if is just as one of their yearly seasonals or even becomes a rotating release. This beer does the winning like few others! WOW! Anyone who has any extra bottles of this they don't want or want to trade for please beermail me ASAP!

Eric

neenerzig, May 08, 2007
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Crystal clear red-orange body, topped by a highly whipped four fingers of milk shake like froth. Excellent lacing.

A haymaker of pine punches the nose, and as the head spins it notes the grapefruit and orange groves on the outskirts of the pine forest.

Thick chewy caramely malt hits the tongue like the troops at Normandy, but its quickly engulfed by luscious juicy pulpy oranges, and then a pine tree falls on you. It all big and bold, except the alcohol, which adds shading but never takes the spotlight.

Solid, well-crafted mouthfeel has some viscosity to it. Drinkability is delightful and perhaps dangerous.

An outstanding example of an Imperial/double IPA. If you like IPAs at all, and haven't tried this, run to your nearest store.

RonfromJersey, Nov 23, 2006

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS!

sirhc, Aug 23, 2006
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from growler into pint glass. Amber color with a thick white head. Smells incredible with notes of pineapple, mango, pine, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is similarly complex, starting with a very obvious pineapple taste, that fades into bready malts, caramel, and piny, hop bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden with only some warming in the throat. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Very drinkable for such a big beer. This is definitely Stone's best creation, and one my favorites in general.

throwitallaway, Apr 28, 2008
4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Sweet jesus; I love my IPAs and I love Stone, but this even threw me. It poured a wonderful dark amber color with an off-white head and excellent lacing.
The nose is obviously dominated by hops, but had a lot more going on; sweet fruits and citrus, mild vanilla and very mild malts.
Sweet fruits and creamy vanilla are all but masked by a heavy assauly of bitter and piney hops.
There is a lot going on in this beer and I can't even begin to describe it all. I do have to admit I agree with some of the other reviewers that there was a lot more sweetness than I anticipated, but I find more often than not breweries like to really stick it to you with WAY too much hop bitterness, which makes for a bad experience. I think this was balaned almost perfectly, both in taste and feel, which started bitter and very sweet, then faded into an almost syrpy dryness if thats possible. Very clean and enjoyable, another fantastic beer from Stone.

sinistrsam, Oct 20, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Wow!!! Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Big, thick 3-finger head, dark amber color. Aroma was incredibly citrusy, like walking through a grove of lemon trees. Taste was big hops up front and throughout with a strong malt background. This was truly exceptional and went down very easily for such a big beer.

rgrace99, Aug 25, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

2-fingers of eggshell cream cap a clear, medium umber. Cloudiness developed upon subsequent pours form the bottle.

Aroma is of juicy mandarin oranges, candied grapefruit rinds, some pineapple and macerated pine needles - all swirling about in a heady, virulent harmony.

Everything detected in the nose is robustly confirmed in the flavor but with a sweet, crushing wall of toffee-caramel malt which brings things into surprising balance. Fireweed honey, a subtle nuttiness, and a suggestion of rose-hip tea appear before the stinging heat of brash alcohol asserts itself. Whoa.

Smooth, fine bubbles jettison a rich, oily body, which is squarely in Barleywine territory as far as mouthfeel goes, but the strong alcohol dries out the finish and begs another sensory-overloading sip. This is like drinking a fine, hop-malt spirit and oh-so-enjoyable throughout. One of my favorite beers ever, and I believe I need to go grab another case. While I love the fresh-hop character, I’m quite curious to see where some age takes this beer.

GimmeAles, Sep 23, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Very cool bottle design. This bottle had the story of Karen Westfall (#9 of 10). The label is much more simple than most of the other Stone offerings. It is pretty cool to read up on an employee on an anniversary bottle. This 10% beauty pours an orange/copper color, with a thick rocky off-white head. Very good head retention for a beer of this size. Raw piney hops combine with citrusy hop aroma, particularly orange, grapefruit and tangerine. Candy coated caramel malt, with a lot of sweetness goes to battle against the hop army in this one. Piney, citrusy, sticky sappy hop flavor, goes perfect with this sweet malt. Medium body, with just enough carbonation to carry. Nice patches of sticky lace cling to the glass at the end. The alcohol is not very noticable, however there is some warming at the end. This is a tremendous beer. Happy Anniversary Stone! Another great example of American Craft Beer at its best! I must have more!

Bierguy5, Aug 26, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a beautiful deep copper color with a modest head that dissipates slowly.

Great piney hop aroma.

Taste is superb, very well balanced for such a hoppy brew. The finish, however, brings the full asault of the hops.

Mouthfeel is quite good, very smooth and enjoyable.

Drinkability is good for the ABV. Has to be if I'm going to get through this 3 L. bottle.

techdiver, Jan 27, 2007
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

This brew was a clear amber, with a one finger head that died away to a thin film that left good lacing around the glass.

The aroma was strong mingled pine and citrus. This was a hop bomb. No malt to speak of. Lots of resinous quality.

Taste was of strong pine and hop resins, with a strong malt backbone. This was nice and warm going down. One really REALLy good brew.

Mouthfeel was a little oily, pretty chewy. Had a bite going down.

Drinkability was deceptively good... I could do two bombers of this stuff, and at 10%, that would knock me on my ass.

connecticutpoet, Oct 05, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a clear, orange copper with a medium, near-white head. Excellent retention, with thick lacings.

A sweet, citrusy malt character is overcome by an explosion of tantalizing hops. I fully expect to see a sprig of pine swimming in my glass, but alas it's just delicious smelling beer. This is a hophead's cologne.

After smelling this divine nectar, I was almost hesitant to take a sip. Too many times have I been drawn in by a glorious aroma, only to be under whelmed by the taste. This is not one of those times. There is a flavor of sweet fruit up front that quickly and sharply mixes with a dry, citrus character and a divine euphoria of hops. I can nearly sense the pine needles traversing my palate. The high alcohol percentage is very noticeable in the warming and in the dry aftertaste.

This has an excellent mouthfeel, as it is less viscous than other potent double IPA's. A slight syrupy consistency blends perfectly with the carbonation. This could easily be the most drinkable double IPA that I've ever had.

I love Stone. I love hops. I love IPA's. I often feel that double IPA's lose something in their pursuit for the most over-the-top beer. For me, this is the benchmark for the style. Smooth, hoppy, delicious and dangerously drinkable at ten percent.

Estarrio, Sep 20, 2006
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.