Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.45/5  rDev +4%

This one was tough to get a hold of, but managed to snag some!

Pours from the bomber a ruby red with a nice foamy head. The label artwork is very cool...it's label #2 of 10 written by Greg.

Smell is beautiful cirtusy grapefruit hoppiness, totally makes my mouth water in anticipation.

Taste is sweet and citrusy, with a nice strong bitterness and alcohol bite. Hops are very dominant, but somehow not too overwhleming. Makes me want to take another sip and I haven't even swallowed this one yet. Chewy hop resins and maltiness with a medium-full body.

Finish is long and bitter with a bit of a lingering alcohol warmth.

This is very drinkable for being as hoppy as it is. Stone has once again brewed a beer that sets new standards. Glad I have a couple more bottles of this, I already crave another.

Happy Anniversary Stone, and here's to many more!

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

Found this at Capone's on Germantown Pike. - I had to give them their props as they are striving for a stellar selection and doing a fine job.

It poured a clear honey/amber into my "imperial" pint glass. It had a nice linen colored head, but it disolved into some sticky lacing rather quickly.

The initial smell is awesome. Grapefuit, honey, and pine sap are the most evident smells, but there is a faint metallic smell on the very backend of it. The hop aromas are complimented by some biscuity malts.

Dear LORD this is a hoppy beer! I've had most of the heavy hitters in this style and this one takes the cake! The "balance" is left in the aroma, because there isn't much in the taste. It tastes like a Stone IPA with a mouthfull of grass clippings.

As for drinkability, this one is waaay to excessively hopped to be a drinker. One of these and I'm done. Actually, I would have rathered a 12ozer. I feel like I just washed my stomach with a strong detergent.

Mouthfeel: I'm left smacking my lips like a dog eating peanut butter.

I'm glad I tried it, but I'll stick to Ol' Horace or Double Simcoe for this style. They seem just a bit more balanced and enjoyable.

4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Found this at The Keg in Clarksville, Indiana, last week. Haven't seen it in Evansville, yet. Beautiful bottle. The Stone Gargoyle has never looked better. Pouring into a large pint glass the body is a radiant orange amber. Excellent clarity, with a two finger ecru head that stays around for several minutes. Lacing is lavish and quite attractive.

Aroma is initially very hoppy, with lots of citrus. Pink grapefruit, orange, and lime zest are complimented by a solid spruce pine note. Bready malt is also noted, and reminds me of DFH 120 Minute. A hint of red apple is sensed in the background, seemingly from the malt.

Mouthfeel is a full medium. Carbonation is ideal for melding the big malts and hops here.

Lovely taste boasts big and juicy citrusy hops. Orange, tangerine, and pink grapefruit add an ideal bittersweet character. Malt character is very intriguing. Reminds me of the rounded breadiness of some of the DFH 90 or 120 Minute IPAs. Works better here. More complex than Stone Ruination or IPA. Uniquely Stone, this is a really fine DIPA. Happy Birthday Stone!

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Oh, my. The aroma on this thing is exceptional -- a juicy burst of hops surrounded by maple/grapefruit sweetness. The color of the beer is a light, watery copper, and the head from my hard pour refuses to leave (though it's been five minutes... yes, I admit it, I have not tasted this yet, I'm just sitting here getting off on the aroma). The lacing looks like the very edge of an omelet... and it won't leave the glass anytime soon, either.

Taste is -- this may sound strange, but I taste salt. Hops, hops, hops (what is the IBU on this thing?) and then sweetness, a high and creamy sweetness. And a long hoppy aftertaste... drawing the saliva out of your mouth. Final taste is, of course, the alcohol.

To be honest, the alcohol keeps me from going higher with my tastes score.

But, a complicated, powerful beer, nevertheless.

4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

While Ruination's not really my cup of tea, I'm a HUGE Stone IPA fan, so this was a "must buy" for me.
Pours a copper color, which is darker than the somewhat pale normal IPA, or even Ruination.Head laces the glass and sticks around the whole way down.
Smell is floral hops, sweet fruit (peaches come to mind), and...more hops. It's not all hops like you might expect, but there are definitely plenty there.
Taste starts of sweet. Again, I'm reminded of peaches. Then the hops hit. These are floral and because of the fruity malt, they bring out kind of a tropical pineapple flavor. When you swallow - then the bitterness hits. It's strong! There's a little booze kick in there that makes it a definite sipper.
Mouthfeel's very thick, which also lends itself to this being more of a sipping drink.
Drinkability takes a slight hit just because of the sheer potency of the flavor. When I was done, I found myself craving something milder.
It's a wonderful beer, and a must try for any hop fans. Not my favorite Stone offering, but still great in it's own right.

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

22 oz bottle. Pours a clear, light reddish amber with a creamy off white head that retains fairly well and laces the glass some.

The aroma is resiny, piney, grapefruity, floral, peppery hops. More tropical fruits and some alcohol come out. As it warms, the alcohol gets to be a bit much. The original whiff was a 10, but the fusel alcohol and mustiness brings it down some.

The flavor is sweet and fruity caramel malts leading to a big peppery hop bitterness. There is a little alcohol bite in the finish, but it's masked fairly well. Some of the flavors are a bit harsh, and not well blended. This is a bit of a nitpick - maybe some aging would help smooth it out a bit. The mouthfeel is full and velvety.

Overall, a very good DIPA! I liked this much better than the Ruination. The first few sips were excellent (right up there with Hercules), but as I drank more, it started getting a bit harsh and alcoholic. On the plus side - one of the coolest bottles ever.

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Bomber into a Duvel tulip, just in time for the first NFL kickoff of the season.

Appearance: A copper / amber / slightly orange hue to the body of the brew, with a head that dissipates fairly quickly (I poured it too cold which was a stupid idea). With some filling up the glass, however, some nice wet chunks of lacing stick around nicely.

Smell: Hot damn, happy 10th. A floral array of hop resin in both pine and grapefruit, and tons of malt fruitiness, peach, more citrus, some earthiness. But the peach comes in amazingly well, drippingly so almost, which is amazing when it's against the floral and bitter hop assault in the nose.

Taste: Lots of hops at first, floral, pine, and citrus: the triad of bitterness. The malty and fruity flavors come through after the hops pass (though really they never do), with, once again, peach dominating, which I absolutely love. Zest or rind fruit flavors come through, tropical fruit, orange peel, lemon peel, maybe some star fruit in there too. Finish is a great mix of both, with the lingering bitterness always there, but slowly fading into the fruit flavors--all of it's there for a surprisingly long time. Not to mention the flavors are so powerful that the alcohol, at least to me, really isn't felt in the taste at all, a true testament to the brew.

Mouthfeel: Slightly medium to full-bodied (though more on the medium side from what I can tell), seemingly, at first, but by the time the swallow comes, the carbonation diffuses enough so it's not syrupy, though I'm not sure how.

Drinkability: We all know this is a DIPA and not just an IPA, but damn it's a good one, and there's really nothing more perfect for Stone's 10th. I bought 5 bottles, and I imagine in around a year or so (or maybe 6 months?) this will be even more complex, with the malts doing even more. Fabulous stuff at this stage, and certainly something to seek out.

3.88/5  rDev -9.3%

This beer pours an amber color with a light lace head. A strong spicy smell with a clear IPA hops smell. This beer has a sweet hops spice taste with a heavy malt flavor. This is a very strong IPA made for IPA lovers. If you’re light of heart I would not recommend it but if you love a well blended IPA with a nice strong hops spice Id recommend this one. The mouth feel is a bit heavy but the finish is fairly clean. In all this is a great 10th Anniversary IPA. Strong and flavorful, truly this is a testament to a hard working breweries first decade.

Received in trade today from a hometown brother BA. Thanks Nate. It's my 15th Anniversary today and I'm happy to share it with Stone's 10th.

A- Beautiful copper color in my Duvel tulip. What little head there was doesn't last long. At 10% ABV, I'm not surprised.

S- WOW! The pine jumped out of the bottle and slapped me. My 13 year old son claimed the cap before I opened it. Upon tossing it to him, he said: "Wow Dad, it smells alot like pine" 'nuff said.

T- Far and away the best (and most anticipated) part of this beer. A full bore hops assault, followed by a melange of spices, then a blast of alcohol. I say a blast, but the transition is so smooth, you hardly notice it. This is everything I look for in a DIPA, and then some.

M- Superb. Spreads across the tongue and then dances around every nook and cranny.

D- I may be the exception, but one reason I drink DIPA's like this one is for their strength. I'm a fairly big guy, so I could handle a couple. Beyond that, I'd have to go to water, with a fond memory of just how great this beer is.

All in all, I have a new favorite. This is my first "5". To me, this beer blends the characteristic's of my three personal top DIPA/IIPA's: Unearthly, Dreadnaught and Maharaja into one tasty package. I copped a case in trade....now I need to find a few more.

OUTSTANDING - get you some

4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Pours a light copper color, with a creamy one finger head that quickly falls. No lacing left behind, and only a small blanket over top of the glass.

Intensily aromatic does not even begin to describe this. Chock full of piney hops, with floral notes, as well as peach and apricot aromas. Slight amount of alcohol is present. If it wouldn't make me smell like an alcoholic, I'd happily wear this as a cologne.

The flavor here is incredibly well balanced, smooth, and huge at the same time. Somewhat grainy and sweet up front, but followed by a massive wave of floral and piney hops. Finish is solidly bitter, and leaves a thin coat of hop resin on your tongue and teeth, begging for another sip. Incredible. Mouthfeel creamy, but oddly, its a little thin considering the ABV. Drinkability is pretty good considering the alcohol.

Stone has always produced some of my favorite beers, and this one definitely does not disappoint. This is quite possibly one of my favorite new DIPA's, and ranks up there with the best. If it weren't for the 10% ABV, I could drink this all day. Now I really wish that it was a regular release. Maybe we'll get lucky, and stone will keep brewing this all year (like they did with Ruination after the 4th and 5th anniversarys). Maybe I'll go back and buy the rest of this that is on the shelf. Either way, I really hope that tonight is not the last time I drink this.... it is phenomenal.

Thank you Stone, for bringing a beer of this quality to the table. Regardless of how often I drink your beers, I'm amazed every time.

4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

It pours a crystal clear orangey amber, andf fairly carbonated. Two fingers of tannish off-white head sustain some time. Sheets of lacing crinkle the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, the hops ring out with pine sap and crisp citrus. Berry sweet toasted malt presses through, giving up caramel and baked bread. The alcohol is sinewy and vinous in nature.

Upon tasting, the densely sweet malt is rich with caramel, dark berry, and juicy melon. Right behind comes spicy pine and an arid grapefruit hop influence. Alcohol white-waters through the middle, laying like a hot schism on the tongue and sinuses. A dab of yeast and more earthy grain crop up near the close, and the finish is a lingering experience of glowing hop bitterness. Despite the searing alcohol presence, it's big, gutsy, and chock full of good flavor.

A bit north of medium bodied, the thick malt and resinous hops coat well, and join the alcohol to render up a sweet magma.

Ten years is a long time in the craft brew world and this beer is worthy of celebrating the occasion. It's big, bold, brassy, and pretty damned grand. The ABV is grand as well, and hot and raw, but it's just a sign of some immaturity. Still, it is drinkable right now, at least for the brave among us. With some patience I just might get to find out how well it matures into year eleven. I do believe it will be worth waiting for.

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

Much thanks to egajdzis for opening up the latest Stone creation. Those of us who know Eric, know that he's one of the biggest Stone fans out there and always grabs the latest offerings. Split the bomber, while I continued to be cleaned out playing roulette...
Appears an opaque amber with a foamy, bubly off white head that slowly fades out. Scattered lacing is left all around the glass.
Smell is of huge biscuits, caramel, grassy, herbal notes, rich, piney hops with citrus. There is a little bit of Ruination being evoked in this beer with it's intense aromas.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with sweet and bitter notes all over the place. Sweet, woody, bready, sourdough-esque.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, bready, sweet, sugary, and bitter.

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Medium dark copper/amber. Aroma is very hoppy, smells of citrus, guava, very tropical, then carmel malt. Aroma seems to change as time goes by. Tastes like a double IPA, but more complex, nice fruit-like flavors, then a little bitter, a little sweet, really good. Overall, a great beer, a little heavy almost on the syrupy side, but enjoyable. Watch out for the relatively high alcohol content, because the flavors hide it really well. This is the first Stone beer I have really really liked.

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Split a 22 oz. bomber with two good friends. No freshness date on the bottle. Poured a welcoming honey/caramel color, lightly cloudy and with a small, light brown head. Smell dominated by really strong hops and grapefruit. Hints of pine, too, but the grapefruit really comes through. Taste is hoppyx3. The grapefruit shows up as well - sort of a bitter citrusy flavor. The hops are wonderful, although they don't travel as well as some IPAs, and they linger for a while. The mouthfeel is very creamy for an IPA, which I really like. Overall a great sipping beer, but the heavy hops slow you down.

4.58/5  rDev +7%

Enjoyed from my Arrogant Bastard glass. Clear orange/amber colour with a long-lasting beige head. The foam was composed of bubbles of mixed sizes, though the smaller ones tended to cling in solid sheets to the glass as I sipped. Pine resin hit my nose just after I cracked the bottle and was still strong after the pour, but by this time other aromas were present. Grapefruit became an equal to the pine and chalky, floral hops became more apparent. The only hint of malt came in the form of a sweet orange aroma. A solid malt backbone forms a good flavour base with a bitterness that's nicely balanced. There's a bit of caramel and toasted malt in there that really plays well with the hopping. Notes of hops fade in and out, particularly oranges, grapefruit, and pine. Alcohol is quite warm at the finish and slightly stunned my tongue on the first sip - it's quite pleasant after that. Full bodied with middling carbonation, just on the edge of syrupy. Now that's a big IPA. The aroma is absolutely spectacular. And the malt flavour and alcohol combination was reminiscent of some finer American barleywines while still letting the hops shine. Definitely worthy of Stone's 10th Anniversary.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Boy howdy! That's a good IPA. Happy Birthday Stone. You guys sure know how to brew a beer. A tremendous amount of hops make this beer very bitter, herbal, earthy, and citrusy (lemons, grapefruits, and orange peel). Hop aromas leap out of the bottle even before the glass is poured. Ooh yea...there's malt too. Tons of it. In fact, the hops have a hard time keeping ahead of the sweet caramel malt, nearly syrupy flavors. Ripe and sweet fruit flavors of peaches, appricots, mangos, and papayas. Very rich and full mouthfeel, cloying sweet and mouthcoating. Very sweet and dry in the finish. So much going on that the 10% is fairly easy to overlook. Gotta sip this one to fully appreciate all of the flavors and texrures. Only complaint: too much conflict between the hops and malts. Some call it complexity. At some point I chalk it up to confussion.

3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

After finally finding and getting this beer, I can sit down and enjoy it. This is one beer that I have been anticipating since I ordered it.

Poured from a bomber into a Stone Levitation tulip-style glass. A copper body with a creamy, off-white head that retains quite well.

I smell a slight pine aroma under a very heavy pineapple scent. I never experienced this before and couldn't quite place it at first. A little unusual, but it works.

Very malty for an IPA. Has a lot of hop bitterness (of course).Also, the pineapple makes an appearance in the taste, though not strong, just a hint. This could be that it's in the nose already. Some notes of alcohol are present.

This is a full-bodied beer that is heavy on the tongue. I can handle a bomber, anymore would be too much. That doesn't mean that this isn't good, because it is. It's just so big, you don't need anymore.

3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a full two finger dirty tan head over a cloudy orange apricot liquid. Smells oranges, pine, tangerine, and woody dry. Hint of caramel and a bit of alcohol sting.

Tastes ester fruity to start with a smooth, almost creamy, hop flavor. Hop bitter is present, but not intrusive. Some rough grassy co-humulone early, but it's overwhelmed by a wet sweet late. This sweet is then dried out by a touch of acrid carb and a raw alcohol that's a bit rougher than I would have liked.

Esters include pear, apricot, and dry-ish citrus. Hops flavor is oragnes with some piney resinous and woody dry character. The sweet comes across as crystal sugar with caramel. While not a distinct flavor by itself, the alcohol taints the finish. A bit less alc and I'd find this beer much more enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is med-thick with a creamy character remniscent of oatmeal stout silkiness. Drying finish with a peppery sting from the alcohol.

4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours with two inches of foam, body is amber, decent lacing. It definitely smells hoppy. Pine, grapefruit, maybe some lemon. This may not make any sense, but it smells sticky.

Ahh... the taste screams fresh IIPA. The hop flavors are ragin in this one.Huge citrus and pine. I wouldn't mind if they toned down the malt slightly, but the bitter-sweet finish is welcome on my palate nonetheless. Mouthfeel is creamy and foamy. Pretty drinkable, though for some reason, as much as I like this beer, one is enough for tonight. I think I'm just too tired.

4.45/5  rDev +4%

A million thanks go out to phnphilly for allowing me the chance at this beauty. This beer is a magnificent piece of work. Congratulations to Stone on 10 amazing years of producing great beer and congratulations to Stone on this exceptional beer.

Presentation: I am a fan of Gargoyles since before beer and BA but I must say the Gargoyle hoisting it's mug of beer proudly in the air is classic and for bottle cap collectors the cap has the same image and dates around the top identifying this as something special.

Appearance: Pours a copper brown with a hint of orange and ruby - to the light, in the beautiful body that displays excellent clarity. The off-white head fades as expected in a 10% beer.

Smell: From the moment I popped the cap my nose was filled with piney citrus grapefruit, pineapple & tropical fruits kiwi (with some underlying mango), cane sugar, maple syrup and boozy rum attributes that truly made my tongue fall out of my mouth like a dog.

Taste: The taste follows in suit with the nose. Very candied sweet malt character that portrays topical fruits and sugars along with a few dark fruits (i.e.. pineapple, tangerine, kiwi, mango, white grape, with a splash of plum, caramel sugar), all the while overshadowed by the spicy hoppy grapefruit pine orange peel floral attribute that commands your attention. In addition to all the sweet sugars and fruit and all the bitter hops and spices there is a deeper alcohol attribute that lends to the beer a great deal of strength and umph! The alcohol is noticeable in the flavor (causing a very warming affect on the palate) especially at the finish and in the finish and the dryish aftertaste. Summary; chewy sweet to start and increasing spicy up to a bold fiery aftertaste of hops and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is perfect. Light as it enters the mouth, and chewy when swirled around the tongue, with an oily syrupy center, but crisp prickly hops and drying alcohol on the edges and a very bold finish.

Drinkability: This beer is a glorious fireworks show of multitudes of flavors and characteristics all vibrantly displayed. The beer is magnificent and grandiose, but in as such, it becomes a bit much to handle. I love the taste and find it easy to drink but I had to re-cork my bomber. I will finish it tomorrow.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Hoppy birthday!

Appearance: I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, and it simply couldn't be more breathtaking. Deep amber with a head that won't quit. If it didn't taste so good, I could stare at it for hours.

Smell: Pine! This beer makes me feel like I'm in Flagstaff. Also notes of honey and hops.

Taste: I hate to be redundant, but it tastes like it smells, absolutely amazing. Very malty & smooth for an IPA. I was surprised by this.

Mouthfeel: Almost erotic. Leaves the whole mouth feeling tingly & warm. Reminds me of Booker's bourbon in this sense. If my girlfriend was a beer drinker... Oh well, it's probably best that she's not. I drink enough for both of us as it is.

Drinkability: Not for sessions, and not a brew for all seasons. In other words, if you have somewhere to be in the next few hours you're probably better off downing a bottle of NyQuil. Smooth as it may be (and is), I'm prevented from giving it a 5 in this category for this reason. Aside from that, I'm very pleasantly surprised. IPAs have a tendency to leave me feeling assaulted by someone's vain attempt to create a nearly undrinkable beer. Not today. This represents the best of what Stone stands for; beer as high art.

Now leave me alone so I can finish my damn beer!

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

The artwork continues to impress on Stone bottles. On this bottle the Stone demon strikes a stoic pose, proudly raising his beer mug in homage to me. The marketing worked, I was humbled by the salute and bought a couple bottles.

This is one sweet ipa. I poured it into a Ruination glass because it seemed appropriate, and it showcased the clear orange hop resin covered by a thick foam with a spitty consistency. Pine needle and grapefruit-like hop aromas are balanced by sweet malts for a perfect score on smell. The flavor was huge, very hoppy and malty and everything, a little bitter in the after-taste but I guess it's hardly avoidable.

The mouthfeel was thick and coating, another perfect score. I didn't taste the alcohol, but I'm starting to feel it so I guess it's there. This is a top-notch IPA, I completely recommend everyone tries it before it's gone.

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Beer pours a nice orange-amber color, really clear, with a nice uniform head .
The smell was my favorite aspect of this beer, huge fresh hop aroma, and lots of caramel and sugary malts to balance it out.
Taste is great, really hoppy, citrus and fresh hop flavor, balanced out nicely with the sweet malts.
Mouthfell is really nice, smooth and not overly carbonated.
The alcohol is definitely there, but the beer is drinkable for what it is, double IPA's aren't meant for sessions.
Overall I liked this better than Stone's Ruination.

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

The tastiest IPA from Stone yet!

Poured from the 22oz. brown bomber into a Stone 10th. Anniversary pint glass, a coppery-orange ale that appears cloudy, then clears too translucency. The head rises to a finger and a bit of a just off-white, frothy and of sticky lacing...a very handsome brew.

First sniff out of this bottle is a malty one, followed by some serious grapefruit citrus that wreaks of a pungent IPA, with some serious pine reinforcing that note. No doubt we're in for a hop-bomb pleasure!

The taste holds true and doesn't let down that notion, full-on biting grapefruit with a scant of tangerine twang, that easily gives way to a pine slapping, yet balanced bittering of a finish...a remarkable IPA x 2 if you will!

A medium bodied, thirst quenching IPA, that truly is, second to none. A very easy to drink, hard hitter at 10% ABV that is not shy of strength...believe me on this.

The folks at Stone know what the hell they are brewing, not too mention what they are doing, when it comes down to making extrordinary brews...bar none. Cheers for setting the bar!

Note: I've had several bottles of this and haven't even bothered reading the label yet, so, so much for hype!

4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer looks fucking gorgeous. Its dark amber color absolutely glows with ruby highlights. A white head builds up and fades to a ring around the edge and an island in the middle. I've sampled beers that have such a wonderful aroma, I have trouble getting around to taste them, but I can't remember a beer that looked so good, I just wanted to ogle it. Okay, now I want to stare at and smell this for the rest of the night. The nose has a ton of sweet, fruity hops backed up by caramel malts and alcohol for an extra kick. This beer tastes rather young and rough, but it's by fair the best tasting raw big beer I've tasted (Imagine if Avery tried to brew this beer). The hops are sweet, but not as sweet as they are in the nose. Bitter citrusy hops lead the flavor charge and warming alcohol comes in at the finish, all the while surrounded by sweet caramel malts and sweet hops. Viva Stone!

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.