Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Phenomenal. First word that came to mind after taking my first sip of this beer. Poured an appealing red with a small head (maybe a 1/2 a finger). Very strong, smell of plum, pine, hops, phenols and so much more. Before even tasting this beer the smell alone impressed me greatly. It is to the point where it is borderline overpowering, yet I couldnt stop sniffing the glass between each sip.
Taste starts of sweet with the plum still coming to mind, instantly followed by a wave of hops before the alcohol takes over.The taste is pretty complex, so I apologize for not going into further detail. As you would expect the alchohol is very present.
For such a big beer the mouthfeel is surprisingly light and easygoing, and it is dangerously drinkable.
Damn this beer is good.
Stone has yet to let me down. Go get a bottle right now.

spruce488, Sep 23, 2006

Huge hype on this beer, probably the most hyped beer of 2006. In some way it lives up to it, in other ways, it's just another overpowered, indulgent DIPA.

First off, probably one of the sweetest bottles I've come across. Typical Stone, cleverly marketed (not they need a gimmick), so much so that what it lacks in actually appearance is made up for by the bottle.

Humongous nose. Crazy fruits, plums, raisons, and grapefruit. I usually don't preface other beers in a review, but this one is so strikingly similar to Smutty noses' Finest Kind, it's unreal. You could check my review of that beer if you want... I’ve matured a little.

A crazy brew to say the least. I can see this becoming a classic with a year or two of aging. Oh yeah, by the way, I got the last three bottles at Table and Vine in Northampton.

FLAbeergutinMASS, Sep 22, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Pours out like Ice tea. Fairly clear but with a lot of carbonation and about 1 finger of slightly offwhite suds that dissapete slowly leaving a nice lacing.
Smell is very citrusy with hints of lemon and grapefruit. Hops and alcohol are present but in the back. Also a caramel smell that is very light and it might just be the malt.
The taste is hops and grapefruit and alcohol. Almost like a cough syrup. This quickly dissapates leaving a very fruity and alcoholy flavor.
Two drinks and you feel the alcohol but it is a very nice aftertaste.
Clean in the mouth and not bitter as you would think.
I do like this and will buy more to consume. Great for a cold night to warm you up!

peabody, Sep 22, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Poured from the Sweeetest looking Stone bottle ever, this brew's as bright as a copper penny with a sustaining khaki head that leaves intricate webs of lace.

Aroma is of sweet, succulant nectar. A variatable cornacopia of sweet, fruity tones mingled with the omnipotance of a bounty of hops. Peach, pear, melon, tangerine and grapefruit citrus are balanced by notes of caramelized honey, crushed pine needles, and brewed green tea. One of the most seductive noses I've seen in a beer lately.

The taste is certainly on par with the nose. Complex fruit and intense honey drenched tangerine and grapefruit rind lead into bittersweet crushed pine needles, green herbs, and piercing, lasting bitterness. The hop flavors meld wonderfully and yeild a very complex and delicious IIPA.

Body is big, slick, and slippery. Each hoppy sip coates your lips in sticky hop resin. A serious joy to drink, this is awesome!

AlexJ, Sep 20, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

22 oz'er bottle pours with a cool Stone gargoyle!

Crack this bad boy open! Pours with a bright polished copper penny hue topped with a sloppy soupy vanishing vanilla head cap that skids down the glass with a lace streak.

Nose is a bright blast of honeyish grassy fresh leafy crisp hops.

First swigs: Sharp and instantly bitter copper penny hops rip through the initial flavor. Some rummy awl-kee-hawl booziness seeps through. Middle is a tart orange peel freshness. Acidic hops gone wild. Brisk peel of lemon and orange. Slight gripe is that thee seems to be a light malt backing. Much more marmalade than balance here.

Feel is slippery slick with an ephemeral finish that vanishes. Sizzled orange pulp and floral linger rules this bad boy.

Last swigs: Did someone steal my Stone 10th and hand me a HopWallop? This is the BIGGER Brother to Bells Two Hearted and a sister to Victory HopWallop!

Beer is good. Happy big hop beering.

blitheringidiot, Sep 20, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Poured a clear, orange copper with a medium, near-white head. Excellent retention, with thick lacings.

A sweet, citrusy malt character is overcome by an explosion of tantalizing hops. I fully expect to see a sprig of pine swimming in my glass, but alas it's just delicious smelling beer. This is a hophead's cologne.

After smelling this divine nectar, I was almost hesitant to take a sip. Too many times have I been drawn in by a glorious aroma, only to be under whelmed by the taste. This is not one of those times. There is a flavor of sweet fruit up front that quickly and sharply mixes with a dry, citrus character and a divine euphoria of hops. I can nearly sense the pine needles traversing my palate. The high alcohol percentage is very noticeable in the warming and in the dry aftertaste.

This has an excellent mouthfeel, as it is less viscous than other potent double IPA's. A slight syrupy consistency blends perfectly with the carbonation. This could easily be the most drinkable double IPA that I've ever had.

I love Stone. I love hops. I love IPA's. I often feel that double IPA's lose something in their pursuit for the most over-the-top beer. For me, this is the benchmark for the style. Smooth, hoppy, delicious and dangerously drinkable at ten percent.

Estarrio, Sep 20, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

a - burnt orange color, big white head with decent retention and moderate lacing, pretty transparent

s - big hops presence with lots of citrus and pine nicely balanced, very interesting aroma, alcohol is present as well

t - sweet maltiness at the start, then the citrusy/piney hops hit the palate, absolutely perfect DIPA in my opinion, the finish has an alcohol presence and is long and bitter with the hop oil coating the whole mouth

m - not much carbonation, medium-bodied, hop oil coats the mouth very well, mildly dry finish

d - I really want to drink this all night, but I know I would be miserable tomorow if I did, the 10%abv seems much less and the taste is amazingly complex and interesting which makes me want to keep on drinking

Wow. That's the best description of this beer. Stone has outdone itself with this 10th Anniversary brew. It makes me sad to think that this will not be brewed again. Hands down one of my favorite beers. I just wish I was in San Francisco another couple days to enjoy more of this amazing beer.

WeisGuy, Sep 20, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

Reddish-amber with a huge cakelike yellow head. Poured into a Duvel snifter. Massive rings of lace. This is IPA perfection, visually perfect.

Nose is fresh-cut candied grapefruit. Distinctly piney, but successfully avoids the Pine-Sol syndrome. Very nice.

Wow! I may actually have tears in my eyes. This flavor is as near perfection for a DIPA as I have ever had. Immense without being too boozy. Solidly built malt foundation without being too sweet. A hop presence like none other, literally oozing with hop oils, but not too bitter. Top marks, without a doubt.

Mouthfeel is slightly syrupy. Only a little tooth-strippiness, which surprised me given the huge hop levels.

Drinkability seems pretty damn good for such a big beer. I am halfway thru the bomber and the flavor remains fresh and tasty without becoming cloying or overwhelming.

An awesome brew. Truly worthy of Stone's 10th anniversary, and even worth the extended wait here in MA ;)

ghostwalker, Sep 20, 2006
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

This pours rich dark amber, leaving a bit of a head even with my slow pour. The ring around the glass is carmel color, and the bubbles are more like fluff.

Smell is moderate, noting floral and hop scents, with a bit of citrus. Maybe some pine, too.

Taste is strong - very rich citrus, hoppy, somewhat sweet too. I can't name that overpowering lemon sweet-sour pine flavor, but it makes it for this rich drink.

Mouthfeel is creamy, but the alcohol comes across real strong in the mouthfeel stabbing at the tongue. I guess that is what you get at 10%, it is reasonable giving that ABV.

Finish is a bit sharp. The alcohol sting comes at the end, leaving a bit of an upleasent piney aftertaste.

This is a rather rich, heavy beer.

I do recommend giving this a try if you see it. If you like these super rich IPAs, then you really need to try it. If you are just looking for another interesting beer to try, know what you are getting into, but give it a try!

karengarys, Sep 20, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

22oz bomber, received from BigErn (and 2 more bottles from lou91 to share once the madison BA scene wakes up from its nap)

appearance: pours into my New Belgium chalice...big dark copper-amber body with a fluffy beige head and pretty solid lacing...enticing beer that I have been anxiously awaiting from Stone

smell: 2 nights in a row of amazing smelling ipa's...like the hop whore this is a bouquet of dripping green hops, big grapefruit-citrus aroma, high pine presence. Unlike the hop whore, this beer clearly appears to have a nice malt/booze balance, that makes it undeniably Stone

taste: This is a very nice DIPA indeed...strong pine up front with a bitter grapefruit hop compliment, pungent green hops...great caramel malt balance which leads me to consider this as bordering a barleywine. I have 3 bottles and might let one die down a little to see if the barleywine in it comes out a little more, that is if I dont drink it all! Booze presence is noticeable in a nice way and bitterness is moderate. Mmmm

mouthfeel: moderate-high bitterness, medium-low alcohol presence, pungent and juicy hop creation

drinkability: high

dirtylou, Sep 19, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

A - This pours a clear amber bronze with orange highlights and an off white, fluffy head. Serious sticky lacing down the glass.
S - The smell is pure, citrusy, sweet motha hop glorification. I opened the bomber at least 2 feet away from me on my work desk and was assaulted by the hop beauty.
T - Hardcore hops, dominated by orange citrus blends... not twangy grapefruit, but real, clean, sumptous orange and tangerine. The malt backbone is sweet, caramel, solid and smooth. This is a really, really big beer.
M - A very slick hop oil mouthfeel which keeps the taste buds dancing and researching the entire time. Once again, one sip at a time to splendor in this beauty.
D - There is just way too much going on here to waste it by drinking more than 2 bombers in a sitting. I would wait until the end of a session (or make this a session by itself) letting this be your nitecap, weekcap, monthcap or dare I say yearcap... believe the hype. This is a great beer.
The alcohol is hidden EXTREMELY well -- a great, warming sensation in the gut. I love Stone beers, I appreciate extreme beers, but this is something more. More balance, more attention to detail, more of everything. A great 10th Anniversary brew.

Gasp100, Sep 18, 2006

Served in my arrogant bastard pub glass.

Pours a coppery-orange color with large beige head that last throughout the drinking. Super lacing.

Smells slightly piney, earth and floral hops. Strong citrus and tropical (pineapple mainly) smells along with a caramel malty sweetness. Very complexly aromatic.

Taste. Simply perfect. Very juicy in the taste while being well balanced with the maltiness. I can taste a raw cane sugar. Perfect balance of earthy and piney hops and caramel malt. Very fruity, pineapple and grapefruit are most pronounced, but there are other flavors that I can't quite tell what they are that balance it all out.

Medium plus body, slight oiliness without being filmy. Finished with a nice grapefruity dryness. The alcohol is well presented. I just can't stop drinking this!

Easy to drink, tastes so good. I must stop geekin' and get back to drinkin'!

laintringulis, Sep 17, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +13.3%

Dangerously drinkable and very potent, this beer lived up to the hype as far as I'm concerned. The beer pored a deep brown color with a beautiful thick off white head. The beer smelled like candied hops, that's the only way I can describe it. Great sweet maltiness mixed in with huge citrus hops and a candy like scent. The flavor was outstanding. Reminded me of a more complex and aged Arrogant Bastard. Very hoppy but what I love about the beer was the great tasting malt(s) used to balance the flavor and add more character. Very citrusy hops and the malts were nice and robust and mixed in nicely with the slight alchoholic flavors in the finish. All in all this one is great to drink now but I have a feeling that it will only get better with age.

Dmann, Sep 17, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

I was glad to finally find this one in my area, as it seems East Coast finding s have been few and far between thus far.

It pours a very nice looking amber/copper colour with a big creamy head that has a fair amount of stickiness to it. Nice and inviting overall.

The aroma is hoppy as hell, with pine and citrus in the mix, along with a lot of spice (I picked up general pepper scents for the most part but some other stuff was there in the mix as well). There a nice sweetness here as well that's more akin to candy or sugar than fruit.

The flavour picks up right where the aroma leaves off, with hops and spice mixing nicely and leading the way. The finish is a bit tinny and overly alcohol flavoured but still very nice. A bit of earthy malt actually mixes in toward the finish as well. This one comes at you hard the whole way through with flavour. Mouthfeel is nice but again a bit rigid at times, like the finish of the flavour. I know it's a high ABV brew, but it could be masked a tad more than it was. Still, very solid overall.

What can I say? One minor grips aside (and one that didn't detract from the brew much at all) this is another fine offering from Stone.

SixpointJMH, Sep 17, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Stone 10th anniversary pint glass.

A-Dark amber in color. 1/2" head with mild lacing as I went. It looks like a precious gem, rare and beautiful (or, at least, rare around here). Made my mouth water as I poured it.

S-Pine, sour citrus, sage and alcohol. Now my mouth is REALLY watering. The sage is really very slight, but mixes well with the scents of indeciduous trees and grapefruit.

T-Actually, a deceptively sweet start. This, however, is brief, and I really got a wallop of citrus, followed by that luscious piney character. The sage I smelled is the longest lasting flavor, and the hop bitterness lingers on alongside it. Not much burn at all, considering it's 10% ABV. This is a fantastic DIPA, with Stone's characteristic over-the-top bitterness melded with a great array of complementary flavors.

M-Present without being thick, carbonated without being too effervescent. Drinks like an IPA should: it's an easy drinker, but refuses to be ignored.

D-I could drink this all night. I just couldn't get up in the morning if I did.

BlackJeremiah, Sep 17, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a nice golden-amber color with a healthy off-white head.

Solvent alcohol aroma accompanied by sweet fruit -- peach and tangerine. Quite a hoppy pine needle aroma, as well.

Taste and mouthful work together beautifully -- simultaneously bitter and prickly. Sweet, in a clear sugary way. Alcohol is prominent but not unpleasant. Resinous, piney hop character, very spicy, too. Surprisingly smooth despite the palate assault. In conclusion, I think I prefer Ruination IPA to this beer, but this, too, is liquid poetry.

akahn, Sep 17, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

Appearance: pours a clear orange color with a 2" head that last quite a while. Some light lacing develops during the session.

Smell: Oh baby. Tons of pine bitterness, grapefruit, and a hint of alcohol. Makes you want to sip it immediately.

Taste: big malty caramel backbone balanced with loads of sharp and dry bitterness, grapefruits, green grapes, and honey. The alcohol is clearly evident and provides a warming feeling with each sip. Big and bold flavors here.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp at the start, smoother towards the finish. Super long aftertaste as the bitterness stick to the tongue. Medium-heavy in body.

Drinkability: the noticable alcohol warns you to not over indulge in this great beer. But then again, you should enjoy the few bottles you probably got your hands on over different evenings.

Gavage, Sep 16, 2006
4.47/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottled version, purchased at New Beer in NYC, nice looking bottle, but I'm a sucker for the whole Stone scheme of things. Anyway, this much anticipated treat was poured into a worthy chalice and upon examination revealed itself to exhibit the following characteristics:

A- pours pretty tame/typical almond amber, pretty clear, golden hues, the head is tan, tiny bubble and not particularly long lasting. This one leaves moderate, thick and scattered lacing.

S- Plentiful sniffs of grapefruit rinds, oranges, candi sugar, and "some" alcohol, ha!

T- More grapefruit, brandy, vanilla, honey, gin, hoppy oils. This brew is fresh, big, bold and brash. DIPA, to the core

MF- smooth, large and inviting, this one just says, "drink more of me"

D- A treat to sip, the 10% quickly going to my head, it will be a sad day when this one is but a memory.

Overall, this is heady, stunningly tasty brew, great job STONE, why not make this one a regular player on the Stone team?

Billolick, Sep 15, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

This beer pours a candy orange and amber with an irregular film and a big collar of frothy white.

Smells of huge nectarines and pine sap with a little honey, dry wheat and oats.

Starts with an electric, tingly sting but beneath there’s some creamy oats, honey and a little powdered sugar that fades into a smoky, dehydrated nectarine and a woody pine.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a slight thickening carbonation.

This one’s very nice. The 10% is undetectable. Also, this beer is a welcome addition to the family of Stone IPAs. It smacks of Stone’s other beers, but it definitely brings something new.

DarkerTheBetter, Sep 15, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a clear golden amber with a very thick and creamy white head. Head quickly sinks to a finger or so but remains after that. Nice frothy lacing all around.

Nose is sweet citrus and malts, with very earthy undertones. Not too hoppy for a double, though they definitely do make themselves known, as does the alcohol.

Initial taste is alcohol and hops. Very fruity -- oranges, tangerines, and a very firm earthy/pine taste. Malts are a bit overpowered here, and in my opinion not as well balanced as most of the Stone brews. .

Very warm mouthfeel, and thick for an IPA. Goes down soft, but the drinkability is hindered by the high ABV and the unbalanced bitterness. Hopefully it'll get better with age.

Phocion, Sep 14, 2006

22oz bomber -> american pint
no date

Pours a clear orange almost amber. The nice thick head off an agressive pour sticks around before settling into a thin blanket. Sticky thick spiderweb lace. Persistant carbonation.

Nose: Fruit, fruit, fruit. Pineapple, grapefruit, apricot, oranges all mashed together, smells almost like a garbage can full of fruit grain punch like we used to drink in college. The fruit would all be floating on the top so that was all you could really smell was fruit, but beware of what lies beneath. Not able to pick up any malt, but there is some alcohol in there for sure. Probably the strongest citrus hop nose i have ever smelled.

Taste: Whoah. Nice juicy malt profile upfront, caramel, sweet fruit followed by a mellowed oily hop finish. Not nearly as bitter on the aftertaste as i would like. Very warming on the finish from the noticeable high alcohol.

Mouthfeel is medium to full, with a warming quality that is undeniable.

I hope i can pick up another one of these to try in about six months. Right now i have very little desire to drink another one of these but am glad i got a chance to try it.

beerphan, Sep 12, 2006
3.78/5  rDev -11.7%

Appearance: Pours a clear orangish golden color worth a 1/4" head of tight white bubbles. The head was maintained by many bubbles rising, but it really only lasted for about 30-45 seconds. There are still quite a few bubbles rising, but the head ends up just being a small ring across the top of the beer. The beer leaves a thick coat of lacing on the glass after drinking.

Aroma: Oh my god, this beer smells like hop juice concentrate! I get a whole bunch of citrus hops that leave no room for the malt within all of this. There are so many citrus fruit in here that it is hard to pick out any in particular. I get grapefruit and lemon along with some lime and orange. That is the most obvious. The rest is just overwhelming.

Taste: This beer is something else, and I am sure that I won't be tasting anything else for at least the rest of the night. The second sip is a little more forgiving because your palate is already blasted. Oh my, the burp is like regurgitating a Christmas tree! This beer is WAY over the top. The finish is not as chalky as a lot of the offerings from Stone are. It has a whole lot of oils from the hops to coat your throat that almost makes it seem like it is a malt balance in the finish.

Opinion: This beer is an anomaly. I am almost intrigued by the fact that this beer is so damn hoppy. I am not sure that I have had a beer that was this far out of balance unless it would be Victory's Hop Wallop. This beer is a bit more drinkable than the Victory beer because there is SOME malt to balance it out. This sample was enough for me, and I won't be drinking this beer again.

SkeeterHawk, Sep 12, 2006
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

how better to commemorate the work of stone brewing than with a bigass DIPA

darkish reddish amber with a long-lasting, bone-colored head. i'm not so sure i dig the color, though its clarity is nice and the head is very tight

the aromas are of...malt? well, not totally, but compared to some of their other hop bombs malt seems to be clawing for attention. who am i kidding...bigtime hops: simcoe, piney, fruit, tea. this beer has a big bitterness with an intense resiny thing going on. the alcohol shows up a little in the finish, but many 10% brews suffer from this

this is one of those beers that while drinking i say, "damn, this is a badass beer," but then while reviewing i think, "well...it's not so drinkable, cause i'd be lit after three, and maybe 'badass' isn't what we're looking for in a beer." then again, this is the DIPA category, which is (by definition) as balanced as klaus kinski

bruachan, Sep 12, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

So i'll start this out saying, I am not the biggest IPA fan. But man, after this beer, i'll start seeking out some of the better ones. Poured a amber/copper color into my pint glass with a nice frothy 1 inch head that went down to a thin layer on top. Smell was of nice resiny piney hops which is what I like in IPA's. Taste is simply amazing, citrusy, piney, hoppy with some nice bitterness settling into a nice rich malty background finish. I love it, I am not huge on the bitter IPA finish, but this finished sweet and tasty. Mouthfeel was rich, sticky sweet and bitter, pretty nice. Drinkability I will say is high, this is a great beer, refreshingly sweet and bitter, I love the citrusy hops this has, and man that 10% abv isnt tasteable in the beer, but boy does it creep up on ya. A truely amazing beer and quite possibly the best IPA this BA has ever had.

Iguana, Sep 12, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +7%

Pours clear copper with reddish hues, beige, tight head of a half inch height.
The foam dissapates quickly to reveal a skim coat on the surface of small to medium orbs of carbonation.
Nose is pungent and floral.
Very tropical in nature with mossy pine notes in the back.
Pears, peaches, nectarines, pineapple, and spruce sap.
Malt is subdued and aromatics finish with warming alcohols and more fruit.
Body is on the thick side of medium- sticky, sappy, and slightly chewy.
Pallet is massively bitter and alcoholic.
Pineyness is in the forefront now, with the fruit backing it up.
Neither the pine nor fruit are a match for the alcohol sting that is ...10%? Drinks bigger.
Malt is light enough to put the 10th anniversary spot on in the IIPA category, and pulls off some crispness despite the massive grain bill.

A huge, unapolagetic, hop and alcohol attack to the senses.
Big karma goes out a fellow BFD'er in San Marcos.

brewandbbq, Sep 12, 2006
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.