Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

This one-time-only brew pours a lush amber color from a capped 750ml bottle. There was very little head to speak of, and what was there, dissipated quickly, leaving lacing. It gives off an aroma of roasted malt and a characteristic that is light, sweet--almost maple syrup-like with a zest of lemon. The hoppy bitterness for which Stone is know dominates the flavor, along with toasted malt, big alcohol (ABV 10%), and some sugar; in fact this beer was far sweeter than anticipated. It is rich and somwhat complex, yet the literally "bitter/sweet" finish is a bit overwrought for my taste, lowering the drinkability. I like the more balanced bitterness and overall flavor of Stone's other strong ales, Arrogant Bastard and Double Bastard, and am thankful that those are here to stay.

Osiris9588, Aug 26, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Very cool bottle design. This bottle had the story of Karen Westfall (#9 of 10). The label is much more simple than most of the other Stone offerings. It is pretty cool to read up on an employee on an anniversary bottle. This 10% beauty pours an orange/copper color, with a thick rocky off-white head. Very good head retention for a beer of this size. Raw piney hops combine with citrusy hop aroma, particularly orange, grapefruit and tangerine. Candy coated caramel malt, with a lot of sweetness goes to battle against the hop army in this one. Piney, citrusy, sticky sappy hop flavor, goes perfect with this sweet malt. Medium body, with just enough carbonation to carry. Nice patches of sticky lace cling to the glass at the end. The alcohol is not very noticable, however there is some warming at the end. This is a tremendous beer. Happy Anniversary Stone! Another great example of American Craft Beer at its best! I must have more!

Bierguy5, Aug 26, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

First off....given another year of cellaring, this is going to mellow and blend into one spectacular beer if it holds up.
Pours a dark orange amber with an impressive 2 finger head that melts to sticky lacing lasting the entire drain of the glass.
Aroma is intensely fresh, fresh, citrus hops...there is nothing sharp or offensive...just sweet, fresh hops.
Taste is immediately citrus hop but with a nicely sweet hop bill that tells you immediately this is a DIPA. Alcohol...strong alcohol finishes off the flavor as you swallow.
Mouthfeel is creamy and full...aftertaste is a citrus peel bitterness along with thickly sweet malt and alcohol.
I really think this needs some time in the cellar but it is intensely flavorful and impressive right now.
One of the best DIPA's I've had and definately one of the freshest tasting. The only problem with cellaring to blend, balance and mellow the flavors is that you will lose the incredible fresh hops flavor it now has.

IntriqKen, Aug 26, 2006
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Pours a reddish-orange body with a lossely knit off white head that disipated to a film across the top at some what of a speedy rate leaving behind nice ringed lacing.

The beer gives off an extremely hoppy aroma that is similar to pinetrees, grapefruit and tangerines. Faint hints of malts present in the aroma. Oddly enough no real alcohol smell present which I was expecting from a beer with a 10%abv.

Taste is absolutley wonderfull. When it first hits the tounge there is a big smack of the pinecone and citrus hops taste that wakes up your palate and makes way for a suprisingly large malt backbone. Very balanced for Stones, very nice.

The is a slight alcohol warming in the mouth and the beer finishes very dry.I could sip this beer all day if I had the chance. Out of the two Anniversary Ales I've had from Stones (9th and 10th hey I'm only 22) This one is by far my favorite.

cproioi, Aug 25, 2006
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Wow!!! Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Big, thick 3-finger head, dark amber color. Aroma was incredibly citrusy, like walking through a grove of lemon trees. Taste was big hops up front and throughout with a strong malt background. This was truly exceptional and went down very easily for such a big beer.

rgrace99, Aug 25, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a clean, dark amber honey colored concoction. Lots of mellow bubble activity in the glass weaving too and frow, working their way to the top. The head is a solid one finger layer made up of creamy, tight light beige bubbles. Webbing like swiss cheese is left behind.

S: Yes, this smells great. Very fresh and healthy. Now for the details. Fruity and citrusy; tangerine, grapefruit, lemon rind, strawberry, raspberry. Touch of pine bark lurking below the surface. Solid malt syrup adds a much appreciated extra dimension to ever sniff (and inevitably ever swallow)

T: . Wow, lots going on here. Lets start from the top. Immediate mixture of sweet malts and sneaky bitterness tickles the front of the tongue. Pine needle sap dances on the front center of the tongue as the liquid move towards the back of the mouth. Caramel notes spike while the transition from forest to Florida come to fruition. Citrus flavors mix with red fruits and coast the palate into a more complex moment with bitterness becoming much more apparent. The alcohol is apparent and in your face (for better or for worse). This beer would be great on a winter night, as it warms the tummy so exquisitely.

M: Medium body and surprisingly smooth for such a bitter beer.

D: Huge. Great friggin beer. Hand crafted superbly.

Westsidethreat, Aug 25, 2006
4.72/5  rDev +10.3%

04-29-08 UPDATE. I had saved a bottle of this along with my Stone Vertical Epic collection, just for fun to see how it did. 18 months after my first review, I decided it was time to have it. I waited too long. A murky, muddy beer that still had a hoppy profile, but had lost all of its original beauty and loveliness. I didn't change the scores, just a note to say this one proves that it's best to drink fresh sometimes. No longer any of the things listed below; it had gone south some time ago.

08-25-06 ORIGINAL REVIEW.

Just found 22 oz bottles of this printed/painted bomber at LaBodega in Riverside, CA for $4.99, a pretty good price for Stone specialty brews (and they have cases of this right now). Picked up the 16 oz pint glass (1996-2006, 10 Years of Brewing Strong) for $2.99 for the occasion. Opened it almost as soon as I got home (got one from the store's refrigerated case).

OK, to hell with my normal reviewing style. I LOVE THIS BEER!

I can't say how it fares compared to my current favorite DIPA (Pliny the Elder), but it's in the same neighborhood, and that is one gorgeous, exclusive neighborhood. Beautifully carbonated dark malty wonder that just oozes aromas of tangerines, grapefruit (both sweet and sour citrus), grass, juniper, crushed pine needles, and just plain lovely lovely hops. As the beer hits the mouth, rich full mix of roasted malts and huge hops are amazing. And as the glass empties, the aroma stays around. So many beers lose aroma as they empty, this one just keeps coming.

My only real complaint is that the alcohol profile (burn) is a little strong, and the ABV is too high for me to drink this as fast as I want.

I don't love every Stone beer, and I say so when one doesn't grab me, but wow, this one is a Grand Slam in the bottom of the 12th to come back from 3 runs down. Cheers to the Stone team, and thank you for this beer.

Dukeofearl, Aug 25, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

This beer pours a darker golden color, with an off white head with a yellow tint to it. The thick, fluffy head fades very slowly, leaving a massive coat of lacing.

This beer has an aggressive hop aroma. I smell citrus fruits. Grapefruit, lemon, pineapple, and is it mango? Some grassy hop notes are also present. The alcohol is well hidden in the aroma.

This beer tastes much as it smells. Fruity citrus hop flavors of pineapple, grapefruit, amd lemon. Some piney hop flavor is also present. Not much on malty flavors, but I didnt expect much malt.

This beer is very full bodied and aggressive. It leaves a fruity hop aftertaste. It is carbonated to perfection.

I dont think this beer would be the greatest session beer. It is high in alcohol, and it has a very aggressive flavor. Too much might become a problem.

Overall: This beer is amasing. It is the best DIPA I have ever had from Stone. It is one of the best I have had anywhere. It is well worth trying. I should have got the 3L bottle.

OStrungT, Aug 25, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +14.5%

Pours a burnt orange almost amber in color with a a darker tan head into my brand new Stone 10th pint glass. Plenty of piney hops, citrusy grapefruit scents and a hint of sweet malts. Now the most important part, WOAH, talk about getting smacked with a pine tree, lots of piney taste (yeah I know it's an I2PA but wow) also a strong taste of grapefruit, it's almost like a blooming flower one taste as you begin then it slowly opens into another taste and does this several times. I like it. The alcohol is hidden pretty well but is present. Gotta be careful with these. I need to have another one of these before I decide but I'm leaning towards this being my favorite Stone Brew. If you don't like hops or chewing on pine tree branches stay away :)

ChillMike, Aug 24, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.

naven, Aug 24, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS!

sirhc, Aug 23, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +14%

I don't know how I possibly could have gotten this any fresher than I did. Fresh off the dolly as it entered the beverage wharehouse and cold. 20 cases rolled in, 19 were left standing. Pours a perfect, shiney copper with a seafoam type, loose head that leaves sliding cover all the way down.

Hoppy nose for sure. Comes across more balanced in the taste and is done very well. A darker candied feel to the malts, caramel comes to mind. Citrusy, Orange, mild spiceyness. Some American Stong Ale characteristics in the malt balance. Peppery in the aftertaste. In short, this brew has a little bit of everything: Silky smooth mouthfeel that later shreds at ya and clamps down. Citrusy, Spicey hops that battle with a rather large malt bill and the alcohol splash is pleasing? Yes sir, please open another.

Notes: Incredibly complex.

DogFood11, Aug 23, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +4%

Been waiting on this one a while... DIPA being one of my favorite styles and Stone being, well, Stone.

Looks like dark honey in my "Magic Chouffe" tulip. The pour yielded a one finger head which didn't stay around long. There is very little visual carbonation noted and spotty lacing as i drink.

The nose is malt-driven...caramel and crystal? That's not to say the hops aren't there, once you move beyond the intitial sweetness, you'll find pine sap and plenty of hoppy citrus notes (grapefruit and tangerine).

Caramel (and vanilla?) is at the fore in the taste, but quickly a tangy melange of tangerine and orange assault you while it finishes up with a spicy bitterness that lingers for just a moment (somewhat like a grapefruit brushed with sugar). The flavors are so big that alcohol strength is well hidden.

(The bittering effect becomes more pronounced the more you drink)

This brew is full, creamy, resiny, amply carbonated and gets a mouthfeel rating of perfection for the style.

So good i'd like to drink another, but i'm not sure the ABV will let me, and i just might be drunk.

You best give it a try.

unclederby, Aug 23, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a hazy dark copper with a nice creamy head with nice lacing.

S- Huge citrus and floral hop aroma. Pretty nice sweetness comes through. The hops are the dominant note and you know this will be a hop bomb.

T- Wonderful citrus hops in the beginning, nice malt backbone and a lingering hop bitterness in the aftertaste. This in nicely balanced for the hophead. Not as over the top in hops like Ruination, which I had last night.

M- Creamy and nicely carbonated.

D- Wow, this is smooth. At 10% I better watch it. Rich and creamy, tons of hops yet a nice malt balance. I'm buying a case of this one!

kirok1999, Aug 23, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Purchased BEFORE the release date at Ledger's for $5/bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

Reddish-copper hue with slowly bubbling carbonation. Thick creamy head with impressive staying power and good lacing. I'm sitting here looking at this beer wanting this to be a 5.

Nose is a blast of white grapefruit and piney, resiny notes. Hops all the way.

Tastes exactly as expected - a hop bomb, west coast all the way. Alcohol is there - and at 10% it probably should be. As balanced as a DIPA should be - yeah there's a malt backbone but it stays out of the way of the hops.

I'm having a hard time rating this one. I want to give it a bonus for being from Stone, but I know I shouldn't do that.

Smell is a no-brainer - it's a 5.
Appearance is a 4.5. It's better than "good" but I don't see a reason to call it "exceptional."
Mouthfeel - 4. This is probably the beer's weak point. I wish it were a little thicker - feels just a little thin.
Drinkability -5. Why the hell not. It's good and I plan on drinking a lot of it!
Taste - 4.5. It's damn good, but it's just not PERFECT. Therefore, I can't give it the perfect score as much as I want to.

Good choice for Stone's 10th Anniversary. To be honest, I'm a touch disappointed since the beer was excellent but not mindblowing as I was hoping. In my opinion, it doesn't really stand out from some of the other excellent DIPAs available. Still, good job Stone. Damn good beer. Happy 10th.

mitchfor3, Aug 22, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

I wouldn't rate the bottle in the appearance but if I did it would be a 5 with a great looking gargoyle lifting their glass celebrating 10 years of great brewing. A darker - more amber ADIPA than most with a big rich noisy light tan head announcing the hops to come. The first word that comes to mind in tasting this is - lush. It is a lush rich thick beer shake of a DIPA with all the citrus and dry hop bitterness you would hope from a San Diego IPA. A very satisfying beer and at 10% it makes for a great single bottle celebration. At $4.99 a bottle it is a bargain.

lou91, Aug 20, 2006
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Gold dark appearance – nose hop, hard citrus, malt, brown sugar and mint- nice hops bitter, sweet, prunes, grapefruit, malt, baking chocolate, alcohol – medium/thick body- bitter/sweet lingering aftertastes – unexpected taste for a imperial ipa thick and heavy like a strong ale

stephendr, Aug 19, 2006
2.7/5  rDev -36.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

08/22/12 On tap. Part of a Stone's flight. I was looking to re-appraise my appreciation (or lack thereof) for Stone's stuff. This was a bitter lightweight compared to the 16th Anniversary. Unfortunately all the hop jiggery-pokery went to waste on this un-hoppy guy. Better than most, but not enough for me to change horses.

seedyone, Jun 17, 2014
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.