Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

After finally finding and getting this beer, I can sit down and enjoy it. This is one beer that I have been anticipating since I ordered it.

Poured from a bomber into a Stone Levitation tulip-style glass. A copper body with a creamy, off-white head that retains quite well.

I smell a slight pine aroma under a very heavy pineapple scent. I never experienced this before and couldn't quite place it at first. A little unusual, but it works.

Very malty for an IPA. Has a lot of hop bitterness (of course).Also, the pineapple makes an appearance in the taste, though not strong, just a hint. This could be that it's in the nose already. Some notes of alcohol are present.

This is a full-bodied beer that is heavy on the tongue. I can handle a bomber, anymore would be too much. That doesn't mean that this isn't good, because it is. It's just so big, you don't need anymore.

jhammerly, Sep 04, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -14.7%

Pours a full two finger dirty tan head over a cloudy orange apricot liquid. Smells oranges, pine, tangerine, and woody dry. Hint of caramel and a bit of alcohol sting.

Tastes ester fruity to start with a smooth, almost creamy, hop flavor. Hop bitter is present, but not intrusive. Some rough grassy co-humulone early, but it's overwhelmed by a wet sweet late. This sweet is then dried out by a touch of acrid carb and a raw alcohol that's a bit rougher than I would have liked.

Esters include pear, apricot, and dry-ish citrus. Hops flavor is oragnes with some piney resinous and woody dry character. The sweet comes across as crystal sugar with caramel. While not a distinct flavor by itself, the alcohol taints the finish. A bit less alc and I'd find this beer much more enjoyable.

Mouthfeel is med-thick with a creamy character remniscent of oatmeal stout silkiness. Drying finish with a peppery sting from the alcohol.

mentor, Sep 04, 2006
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours with two inches of foam, body is amber, decent lacing. It definitely smells hoppy. Pine, grapefruit, maybe some lemon. This may not make any sense, but it smells sticky.

Ahh... the taste screams fresh IIPA. The hop flavors are ragin in this one.Huge citrus and pine. I wouldn't mind if they toned down the malt slightly, but the bitter-sweet finish is welcome on my palate nonetheless. Mouthfeel is creamy and foamy. Pretty drinkable, though for some reason, as much as I like this beer, one is enough for tonight. I think I'm just too tired.

Sephiroth, Sep 03, 2006
4.45/5  rDev +4%

A million thanks go out to phnphilly for allowing me the chance at this beauty. This beer is a magnificent piece of work. Congratulations to Stone on 10 amazing years of producing great beer and congratulations to Stone on this exceptional beer.

Presentation: I am a fan of Gargoyles since before beer and BA but I must say the Gargoyle hoisting it's mug of beer proudly in the air is classic and for bottle cap collectors the cap has the same image and dates around the top identifying this as something special.

Appearance: Pours a copper brown with a hint of orange and ruby - to the light, in the beautiful body that displays excellent clarity. The off-white head fades as expected in a 10% beer.

Smell: From the moment I popped the cap my nose was filled with piney citrus grapefruit, pineapple & tropical fruits kiwi (with some underlying mango), cane sugar, maple syrup and boozy rum attributes that truly made my tongue fall out of my mouth like a dog.

Taste: The taste follows in suit with the nose. Very candied sweet malt character that portrays topical fruits and sugars along with a few dark fruits (i.e.. pineapple, tangerine, kiwi, mango, white grape, with a splash of plum, caramel sugar), all the while overshadowed by the spicy hoppy grapefruit pine orange peel floral attribute that commands your attention. In addition to all the sweet sugars and fruit and all the bitter hops and spices there is a deeper alcohol attribute that lends to the beer a great deal of strength and umph! The alcohol is noticeable in the flavor (causing a very warming affect on the palate) especially at the finish and in the finish and the dryish aftertaste. Summary; chewy sweet to start and increasing spicy up to a bold fiery aftertaste of hops and alcohol.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is perfect. Light as it enters the mouth, and chewy when swirled around the tongue, with an oily syrupy center, but crisp prickly hops and drying alcohol on the edges and a very bold finish.

Drinkability: This beer is a glorious fireworks show of multitudes of flavors and characteristics all vibrantly displayed. The beer is magnificent and grandiose, but in as such, it becomes a bit much to handle. I love the taste and find it easy to drink but I had to re-cork my bomber. I will finish it tomorrow.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Sep 03, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

Hoppy birthday!

Appearance: I'm drinking this out of an oversized wine glass, and it simply couldn't be more breathtaking. Deep amber with a head that won't quit. If it didn't taste so good, I could stare at it for hours.

Smell: Pine! This beer makes me feel like I'm in Flagstaff. Also notes of honey and hops.

Taste: I hate to be redundant, but it tastes like it smells, absolutely amazing. Very malty & smooth for an IPA. I was surprised by this.

Mouthfeel: Almost erotic. Leaves the whole mouth feeling tingly & warm. Reminds me of Booker's bourbon in this sense. If my girlfriend was a beer drinker... Oh well, it's probably best that she's not. I drink enough for both of us as it is.

Drinkability: Not for sessions, and not a brew for all seasons. In other words, if you have somewhere to be in the next few hours you're probably better off downing a bottle of NyQuil. Smooth as it may be (and is), I'm prevented from giving it a 5 in this category for this reason. Aside from that, I'm very pleasantly surprised. IPAs have a tendency to leave me feeling assaulted by someone's vain attempt to create a nearly undrinkable beer. Not today. This represents the best of what Stone stands for; beer as high art.

Now leave me alone so I can finish my damn beer!

jeffjfindley, Sep 03, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

The artwork continues to impress on Stone bottles. On this bottle the Stone demon strikes a stoic pose, proudly raising his beer mug in homage to me. The marketing worked, I was humbled by the salute and bought a couple bottles.

This is one sweet ipa. I poured it into a Ruination glass because it seemed appropriate, and it showcased the clear orange hop resin covered by a thick foam with a spitty consistency. Pine needle and grapefruit-like hop aromas are balanced by sweet malts for a perfect score on smell. The flavor was huge, very hoppy and malty and everything, a little bitter in the after-taste but I guess it's hardly avoidable.

The mouthfeel was thick and coating, another perfect score. I didn't taste the alcohol, but I'm starting to feel it so I guess it's there. This is a top-notch IPA, I completely recommend everyone tries it before it's gone.

TurdFurgison, Sep 02, 2006
4.15/5  rDev -3%

Beer pours a nice orange-amber color, really clear, with a nice uniform head .
The smell was my favorite aspect of this beer, huge fresh hop aroma, and lots of caramel and sugary malts to balance it out.
Taste is great, really hoppy, citrus and fresh hop flavor, balanced out nicely with the sweet malts.
Mouthfell is really nice, smooth and not overly carbonated.
The alcohol is definitely there, but the beer is drinkable for what it is, double IPA's aren't meant for sessions.
Overall I liked this better than Stone's Ruination.

seedee17, Sep 01, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

The tastiest IPA from Stone yet!

Poured from the 22oz. brown bomber into a Stone 10th. Anniversary pint glass, a coppery-orange ale that appears cloudy, then clears too translucency. The head rises to a finger and a bit of a just off-white, frothy and of sticky lacing...a very handsome brew.

First sniff out of this bottle is a malty one, followed by some serious grapefruit citrus that wreaks of a pungent IPA, with some serious pine reinforcing that note. No doubt we're in for a hop-bomb pleasure!

The taste holds true and doesn't let down that notion, full-on biting grapefruit with a scant of tangerine twang, that easily gives way to a pine slapping, yet balanced bittering of a finish...a remarkable IPA x 2 if you will!

A medium bodied, thirst quenching IPA, that truly is, second to none. A very easy to drink, hard hitter at 10% ABV that is not shy of strength...believe me on this.

The folks at Stone know what the hell they are brewing, not too mention what they are doing, when it comes down to making extrordinary brews...bar none. Cheers for setting the bar!

Note: I've had several bottles of this and haven't even bothered reading the label yet, so, so much for hype!

scottoale, Sep 01, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer looks fucking gorgeous. Its dark amber color absolutely glows with ruby highlights. A white head builds up and fades to a ring around the edge and an island in the middle. I've sampled beers that have such a wonderful aroma, I have trouble getting around to taste them, but I can't remember a beer that looked so good, I just wanted to ogle it. Okay, now I want to stare at and smell this for the rest of the night. The nose has a ton of sweet, fruity hops backed up by caramel malts and alcohol for an extra kick. This beer tastes rather young and rough, but it's by fair the best tasting raw big beer I've tasted (Imagine if Avery tried to brew this beer). The hops are sweet, but not as sweet as they are in the nose. Bitter citrusy hops lead the flavor charge and warming alcohol comes in at the finish, all the while surrounded by sweet caramel malts and sweet hops. Viva Stone!

goschool, Sep 01, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

The beer Stone made to commemorate this grand occasion is an enormous hop monster. The bottle is beautiful, complete with a story on the side – all painted on. It pours a ruby-orange with a frothing eggshell head. The aroma is a floral bouquet hop assault. All of the hops of the rainbow are present: from sweet to pine to everything in between. There’s a lot of fruit on the palate – some lemon, some pineapple and lots of grapefruit. All of the taste soaked in hops with a tinge of maltiness. The creamy texture smoothes out the alcohol warmth. Delicious. I’ll next to stock up on these.

sloejams, Aug 31, 2006
4.03/5  rDev -5.8%

Color is rust-orange, slight chill haze. Head is 1/2 inch and lingers well. Aroma of strong piney hops with mild citrus notes present. Slight hint of a soap-like smell in there, and the alcohol also becomes more evident as it warms. Overall a nice bouquet for the nose. The taste is loaded with orange and grapefruit tang and sweet sugary malt. Dank and resiny on the hops. Moderate bitterness in the finish with some astringence from the alcohol. Mouthfeel is medium thick, bordering on syrupy.

From the first whiff I was pretty excited about this one, but the flavor wasn't as spectacular. It's big on taste, but way overdone. The alcohol was just a bit high also. Stone likes to brew big, so that's what you get here. It's no doubt good, but sometimes it pays to be more subtle and complex...

bennetj17, Aug 31, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Fantastic brew for Stone's 10th anniversary!

A - Nice reddish body with a full head that sticks around...and sticks around the sides a good long time!
S - Very strong fresh squeezed grapefruit juice scent. Wonderful!
T - Marvelous grapefruit and mango flavor. Very fruity in the best sense possible.
M - The malt is drawn up quickly as it gets sucked up by the hops which spreads all over the tonue quite nicely.
D - Very drinkable for the double IPA lover. A little tough for those of us who find uber hoppy ales to be, well, over the top.

JayTheFinn, Aug 30, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%

A: Pours a clear copper color with a 3-finger frothy head with great sustain. Lots of lacing and a head that finally settles at a full 1/2".

S: Big vegetal hops smell with some aroma of grapefruit and green tea.

T: Full on hops flavor, low on bitterness. Well-balanced with some spiciness and a prominent alcohol character.

M: Full-bodied and very smooth with light-moderate carbonation. This one will warm you right up.

D: I'm not a huge fan of DIPA's (including Ruination), yet I find this one quite drinkable. The alcohol in the taste could stand to mellow a bit, but everything else about this beer is quite pleasant.

klewis, Aug 30, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

I picked a couple of bottles of this one up at the local, overpriced liquor store. I was told by the store owner that it had only been in for a week and they weren't expecting another batch, but somehow I restrained myself from buying out the rest of his supply.

After finding a new home in my Stone IRS tulip glass, I observed this brew's clear amber body with a finger of off-white foamy head that took quite awhile to subside while the halo left behind remained at its full height, encircling a lacy center with scattered large white bubbles.

The smell was a delightful mix primarily of pear and tangerine with suggestions of pine and a tiny hint of grapefruit.

The first sip revealed a much more powerful (typical Stone) sensory experience than I could predict from the odors. First my taste buds detected pine and alcohol, then grapefruit, and this time the sweetness of tangerine/pear was more subdued. My palate continued to tingle for a couple of minutes from the strong hop flavor and alcohol and a slight lingering tangerine/pear.

The body felt slightly syrupy. Holding a swallow in my mouth for a couple of moments, I felt a slight alcohol burn on the roof of my mouth followed by a much more pronounced burn on my tongue. Each sip caked my mouth with more piney hop flavor; that typical less-than-clean finish that causes me to tend to prefer single IPAs over their stronger double bretheren.

I have to take my time with this one due to the hop and alcohol attack, but flavor-wise, Stone's 10th is definitely a winner, although it would need to be slightly more balanced for my tastes to earn a perfect 5. I'd say this one is closer to Dreadnaught in flavor than Ruination. I'm looking forward to investigating this brew on tap in a couple weeks.

instrumentality, Aug 29, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +9.8%

This was the 100th micro I tried (yes I held out on having it to make sure it was my 100th)
A- 2" off white tan head. Cloudy amber color and as it warms it gets clearer till basically clear. Thin lacing but it is definitely there just not really thick. Sticks to side of glass also.
S- Hops! Citrus hops, with a malt back bone. Also picked up alcohol, grapefruit and orange.
T-Hops! Had alcohol taste on mid tongue but the burn well hidden. Got grapefruit and orange taste coming through the citrus hops. Lots of flavors going on but couldn't pin point them all down. Nice bitterness and a little bit bigger bitterness for the aftertaste. Has a medium/full body (more to the full side) and light on carbonation.
D-just AMAZING! Maybe wanted a little bit more bitterness but when a brew is this amazing why change it. This is my favorite DIPA and favorite beer by far. I can't get over it.

BlindPig, Aug 28, 2006
4.95/5  rDev +15.7%

Wow.

Appearance: pours a beautiful blood orange amber, with some blond accents. A frothy head which settles into a smaller, barely-there froth, with some very, very pretty lacing upon swirling the glass.

Smell: Wowy wow wow. Undoubtedly one of the most pleasant noses I've ever smelled on a beer, ever. So much going on, as others have said: piney, floral, and citrusy hops up front, criss crossing with some incredible ester-like tropical malt aromas, including pineapple, kiwi, blueberry, and a little apple, dissolving into an earthy, slightly alcoholic backbone. Just incredible.

Taste: Again, wow. The so-familiar hop bitterness kicks in first, orangey, citrusy stuff with some floral accents. So many hop flavors whoo. Pineapple, kiwi, strawberry, blueberry malt flavors next, criss crossing, again, with the hop flavors in almost perfect matrimony. Lastly, an earthy rusticness grounds your palate. Slight alcoholic sting, but the 10% is hidden extremely, extremely well. Great.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy, juicy, as another reviewer said perhaps a little under carbonated, but I didn't mind.

Drinkability: Amazing. I could drink these for hours, if not for the deceptive ABV (you only remember its percentage when you finish one and have that familiar warm body sensation). Just an amazing IIPA, unlike any other I've really had. I'd probably pick this over Yule Smith, even, but that's just me. One of my favorite beers ever - hands down. I've been a Stone fan for a long time, but this is just on a pillar of greatness not reached by anything I can remember.

RidiculedDisplay, Aug 28, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

'06-Holy Shit!, this stuff is blowing me away! I am a malt man, so there aren't very many IPA's that would ever garner this much admirition from me. Wow! Half of a glass into this and I can't keep up with my thoughts.
Absolutely gorgeous pour (think blood apricot with a beautiful full head of curls), that dims quickly, but is reconstituted with a few swirls.
A bodaciously huge citric fruit nose (I feel like I'm walking through a grapefruit orchard). Very floral, clean & fragrant.
Great juicy fruit tartness, and not overly bitter, with a subtle malt finish.
Great on the tongue, but maybe a little too much syrup on the finish.
Again, I am not what a beerman would befriend if he were a hop-head, but holy shit!, this beer is damn-near perfect. And this review is not influenced by any of the Stone hype. Very balanced.

scott, Aug 28, 2006
4.88/5  rDev +14%

I tasted this beer, and to be honest, this is exceptional beer. I am used to the strong ales produced by Stone. In fact I bought a bottle of 10th anniversary for my friends to see how they like it first. This beer is awesome, it has one of the best malt backgrounds that one can hope for. The smell is that of a light grass. The mouthful taste like heaven, and the taste matches. To be honest with everyone I hope they produce this year round. I love Yulesmith, but this one is just as good if not better. I feel I am a traitor when I say this. But it is the truth, this beer rocks, would love to have it on cask or naturally carbonated. Thanks Stone and I wish you another happy 10 years.
This beer is sweet, and makes one wanting more. There is no way that this beer is 10.0 abv, because with the taste you will never know.

ressletr, Aug 28, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

I've been waiting for this one for a while, and anticipation was high. It is my last day of summer break, so this seemed like a good one to celebrate with.

Very nice clear burnt amber with a thin off-white head that leaves some lacing and some continuous fine carbonation.

Fantastic hop aroma. Piney, resinous and some dried candied fruit.

Very well balanced brew. The bitterness is offset by a sweet malt backbone. The original gravity must have been quite high to leave so much residual sugar. Nice flavor, but a little bit drier, more hop forward flavor was expected.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a warming presence left by the alcohol, which was masked well in the flavor.

I can drink the bomber down easily and still be ready for more (until the ABV catches up). Cheers to Stone for 10 great years!

unklesyd, Aug 27, 2006
4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Obviously Stone has few equals when it comes to hopped up brews (the RIS is no slouch either). It's with 0 surprise that I report the Stone 10th Anniversary IPA is winner. Honestly when Stone focuses on this style its a no-brainer ... they win. Period. This brew is certainly no exception. The pour is honey bronze topped by an excitable creamy head. If only there was some lacing this would be perfect appearance wise. Nose is just massive and unrestrainable. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit. There's also plenty of malt that plays just the right supporting role never going so far as to steal the hops main attraction title. When I say there is malt I mean, THERE IS MALT! It isn't meek and does all it can to coexist peacefully with the hops while trying to usurp it in a friendly fashion. The malt is full of cherries, toasted corn, rum and caramel. There's also a bit of unexpected spice .... damn what a fantastic beer. Mouth is full and excessively creamy. Stone my hat is off to you. I would not hesistate to buy this beer again and again. A lovely double IPA.

TheBungyo, Aug 27, 2006
3.68/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a nice pintglass with a ruination IPA logo on it that stone kindly sent me. I didn't get much head from it as I'm a very careful pouring sort of fellow who tries to avoid head. The little head I did get is still laced around the edge without much hanging to the glass. Being a huge Ruination IPA fan I was expecting a lot from something touting both "Stone" and "Anniversary" celebrations in the same sentence. They have done a wonderful job, although I think there might be a little bit too much alcohol to the beer. It looks superb as an IPA should but has no noticeable sediment as usual with Stone brews. It smells excellent! I wanted to guzzle at first but I minded myself and didn't. At 10% I'm getting drunk just smelling the stuff, and the 10% really shows in the taste. It doesn't have much bite, and kind of has a bit of belgian style aftertaste in it. You can taste the alcohol but it blends in fairly well. The mouthfeel is flat and a little bland. Overall the drinkability of this beer is okay, but it is hardly able to match up to the Ruination. I'm not entirely sold on this being an actual IPA. Something doesn't quite stack up in the taste. It's a bit over fermented or something, I can't put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent beer, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for.

idResponse, Aug 27, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

Well, it's good to see Stone getting back to their roots. Big-ass IPAs. That's what made 'em famous, and there's a reason for it.

Ya gotta love the new logo. Very sleek looking gargoyle. And the stories on the back of the bottle are a nice reflection on where the company's been and going.

Anyways, on to the beer! The hop aroma hits you in the face right upon cracking open the bottle. Resiny and strong with a strong pine character and subtle notes of tropical fruit.

The flavor starts off juicy like you wouldn't believe. Luscious and ripe. Surprisingly (and a bit unpleasantly) sweet, actually -- it reminds me a bit of a young 120 minute IPA from Dogfish Head. The alcohol heat is noticeable, but unexpectedly understated for such a strong beer. Big time bitterness present throughout, but it doesn't hit quite as hard in the finish as I would have expected.

Very full bodied and bitter, but a littlle bit on the under-carbonated side. The beer goes downhill as it warms with both the undercarbonation and the over-sweetness becoming much more noticeable as defects.

All in all, I'd say that the beer has potential for aging. There are some nice surprises in the flavor profile which I expect will strengthen with time, and the defects, I suspect, will mellow. Don't be shy about putting this one away for a couple years! By extra now if you're weak-willed...

mzwolinski, Aug 26, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +3.5%

10th Anniversary Ale, August 2006 - Sampled FRESH!

Served after a 5 year chronological Vertical line-up of the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th past Anniversary Stone brews over the last few days. Now I get to finally sample the latest Stone 10th Anniversary India Pale Ale offering.

Presentation: Slick and rather downbeat simplistic Bottle design. Long gone is the large numbered 80’s stylistic affair from the 7th, 8th and 9th. The Tenth has the winged Gargoyle in a silvered upstanding poise, proudly raising his Birthday Pint high. Scripted text below “Stone 10th Anniversary India Pale Ale”. 10% Alc/Vol. The reverse contains one of ten designs, mine is #9 of 10 with a write up from Karen Westfall.

Appearance: Dark amber body, perfectly lucid with a striking clarity. Backlit on the desk, the body of this IPA projects the warm comfort of a Saffron sunset, glowing with a faded ember red as it lowers the heart-rate and relaxes the imbiber. The dissolved conditioning is average in strength but nicely punctuates the body with creamy swathes when swirled; it also supports the thinning head which covers but breaks over the surface. The thick ring dirty white halo remains throughout and rings the glass edges like the rope border on a Cricket Ground…..a “Four” indeed.

Nose: Gorgeously attractive soft fruity tones are immediately blasted with a pungent warming alcohol odor as you bury your nose into this one. Oranges, sweet boiled candy, fleshy tangerines, mandarins, Satsuma’s and other hesperidia. Fruit Salad backbone is bolstered with a massive blast of double digit ethanol, which is currently very raw. Sweetness has a healthy dollop of Earthy Pine Oils which suggest a medicated background.

Taste: Young, brash, cocky, urban and “up for it”. No punches are pulled, this is one champ that starts young and intends to stay at the top for some time. Right now, it will take a few knocks and learn some lessons along the way, but you know that it could make a great champion. The ingredients are all here.

Mouthfeel: Oily and menthol in the finish, whilst the earlier trend is of a high alcohol orange tainted English Barleywine. Distilled Pine needles lend an organic and Earthy nature.

Drinkability: Initially the well spaced out sips build into a more frequent natured quaffer. Despite its rough edges, and there are some, this has a solid Drinkability and rather appeasing “Crack” like quality.

Overall: It is very interesting that Stone refer to this as just (sic) an India Pale Ale, I’m glad in a way that they avoided the Imperial, Double, “mine’s bigger than yours” monikers. A good old fashioned Stone Anniversary, firmly back to its roots. It will be great to watch this one grow up.

TheLongBeachBum, Aug 26, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +1.2%

Pours with a frothy, fairly good lasting, initially three-finger thick, tan colored head that is a mix of finally beaded bubbles and ones that are a bit bigger. The beer itself is a brilliantly clear, darkish amber color that shows a lightly, ruby hued, amber color when held up to the light. Initially the aroma is a massive hit of candied fruit. Notes of mandarin orange oranges in syrup (straight from the can) mix with notes of lychee, juicy fruit and sweet tangerine. A touch of menthol like pine barely is able to peek through all of the massive hop fruitiness. This beer is really sweet smelling, though it is mostly hop derived, but I am sure the malt character contributes to the sweetness. All in all this is a very smooth, yet massively hoppy aromatic brew.

Quite sweet up front, this is quite thick on the palate as well, or at least thick for an IPA or even Double IPA. The massive fruitiness of the aroma is definitely in the flavor as well. Perhaps it is not as sweet as the aroma seems, but it is still fairly sweetly fruity seeming. Candied fruit is still an apt descriptor; notes of lychee soaked in syrup are quite prominent, as well as notes of mandarin orange, and candied grapefruit peels. Starting somewhere in the middle is a light pine note that carries through to the finish, though it is mostly drowned out by the amped up fruit notes. This has a nice light lingering bitterness. I only say light because of the massive malt induced body and hop / malt induced sweetness, which tends to mitigate the otherwise ample bitterness.

This is a hop combination which is quite enjoyable, it really reminds me a whole lot of the Brewers Den Uwe's hop glow Triple IPA. I think that edges this one out though, and since I encountered that first, this does not quite seem as original. It is still quite tasty and I really like how smooth, yet incredibly hoppy this beer is. I must say that this is quite tasty though, and is definitely a huge step up from the 9th Anniversary ale.

Gueuzedude, Aug 26, 2006

This beer was served in a Imperial Pint Glass. I approaced this beer with a mixture of anticipation and dread. I feared after drinking the 9th Anniversary Stones had lost their way. This company made its way with ballsy hoppy beers. I am glad to see the 10th Anniversary IPA indeed has a pair of Stones. Thanks Stones for a great beer! The sad thing is its a one time offering. I am tempted to try and cellar some; however, I think cellaring would destroy the lovely character of this beer.

Appearance: The beer pours a coppery orange coloration. The beer has a thick two+ finger biege head. The head has near perfect staying power. Thick rings of lacing remain behind on my glass.

Smell: The beers aroma is a fantastic combination of resinous pine needles, citrus zest, oranges, tangerines, lemons, grapefruit, pineapple sweetness, grassy floral hops. This is a hop lovers delight.

Taste: The beer delivers the taste of the smell. This is a great blend of the above flavors paired well with some sweet caramel maltyness. The alcohol gives the beer complementing spicyness.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer has a medium plus body. The beer has a fantastic combination of crisp hoppyness and sticky resinous hops. The taste really seems to last a long time. The beer was a joy from the begining to the end of the bottle. This beer has a very sticky mouthfeel. The beer is big and you may not be able to inhale it fast. That is not necessarily a bad thing as this is a beer to savior.

nlmartin, Aug 26, 2006
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.