Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
3.95/5  rDev -7.7%

Wafting aroma greets me, a barleywine aroma in there. A great bubblyhead, lace in the glass is abundant. Its c-hoppy and it remiods me of a barleywine, some cross-style. Aggressive carbonation, and big in every way. Full mouthfeel and balanced not as bitter as expected from hop city.

Sammy, Dec 10, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

I still have a case and a half of this beer and enjoy one every now and then. Its interesting that since my bottles have been sitting in my closet they taste different than the one I had in the bottle at the brewery at winter storm. Their bottle still has all the nice hop goings on that it did when it was new where as mine is more of a barleywine. Either way, I love it.

The beer pours a brilliant red color thats moderately clear, it does get a little hazy when its cold. Theres some nice white fluffy head that doesn't last long. I gave the appearance a 4.5 because of that really cool red color.

The smell is of sweet carmel malts. Its not as complex once it starts loosing the hop flavor. The bottle from the brewery still had all the floral hops that smelled wonderful. The beer has slowly become a barleywine over the course of a year. Its become very sweet and still has some bitterness. Its only fault is that it has a lot of alcohol flavor to it when its warm. I actually really enjoy this drink. When its fresher it is closer to a DIPA with a moderate hop flavor and even a little citrus.

I can drink this stuff all day and will contiune to do so for another year or two.

t0rin0, Jan 29, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -0.7%

spycow, May 02, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a tulip.

Pours a nice copper color with a small white head that diminishes pretty quickly. A bit murky. Average lacing. The nose brings forward a pretty heavy amount of bread, brown sugar, and caramel. A bit nutty as well. A bit doughy. The flavor continues on this path with a really nice amount of brown-sugar sweetness as well as light dark fruits and a bit of sherry character, likely from oxidation. Flavor is fairly lasting and the moderate sweetness carries things through nicely. Bitterness is light at this point, though still there. Medium body. This has really moved toward an english barleywine and it was quite enjoyable.

Thorpe429, May 15, 2011

nmann08, Nov 24, 2011
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Pours a crystal clear amber color with a moderate head that leaves some lacing

Smell: Grapefruit pith and apricots underscored by the caramel malt and some alcohol

Taste: Starts out with a potent caramel base that is quickly joined and then overwhelmed by the grapefruit pith bitterness; after the swallow, their is a brief flourish from the caramel and alcohol, followed by a pithy bitterness on the sides of the mouth

Mouthfeel: Thick and somewhat sticky with moderate carbonation; considerable warming from the alcohol

Drinkability: Very tasty but a real mouthful; a special beer to enjoy in moderation

brentk56, Oct 04, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -4.7%

Burnished, dark pumpkin orange suffused with coral red. The beer doesn't become brighter with backlighting so much as take on a soft, rosy glow. Occupying the top third of the glass is a heavily creamy cap of orangish ecru that looks as if it'll hang around as long as there's beer present. I have no doubt that the thick, buttery sheets of lace that are beginning to be laid down will last until I vanquish them with hot water. An outstanding look...

... and a pretty good nose. I knew that it would be as soon as I popped the cap, but it's even better up close. I had no doubt that a hop bill as special as this one (Summit, Chinook, Crystal and Simcoe), in the hands of the ale magicians at Stone, would result in a nose this aromatic. The tropical fruitiness of the Simcoe is especially nice. I'm a little concerned about the amount of sweet caramel however.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA doesn't quite fit my preferred DIPA profile. It's still very good beer, it just isn't special in the way that my favorites of this style are special. There's much more malty sweetness and more caramel flavor than I prefer. The brewers attempted to counter all that malt with a few fields worth of hops... and almost pulled it off.

I find myself trying to wade through the syrupy sweetness to appreciate the flavor of the hops rather than having them be right up front as they should be, assaulting my tongue and making it beg for mercy. There's plenty of hop flavor and plenty of hoppy bitterness, it's just that they're coated and weighted down by too much pale malt and caramel malt sugar.

None of the hop varieties really stands out. The hoppy portion of the flavor profile is more a seamless melding that pulls elements from each. Chinook pine sap and spiciness combined with Simcoe tropical fruitiness... and so on. I had expected the 10% ABV to be somewhat hot since I'm drinking this bomber less than three months after bottling, but it isn't really. It's more evident than I'd like, but a few more months should take care of that nicely.

I'm on the fence about the body/mouthfeel. Generally speaking, I love huge, viscous, sappy, sticky mouthfeels on big beer. The reason that I'm not granting this one a perfect score is that the very thing that is responsible for that super-plush feel is the thing that keeps me from loving the beer as a whole. Namely, great gobs of malt.

I expected hop nirvana from Stone 10th Anniversary IPA, but it didn't quite deliver the goods (I'll never stop expecting great things from these guys because they come through much more often than not). Having said that, this is still good beer that put me squarely in the happy zone a few ounces ago and is sure to keep me there for the next several hours. Thanks to BitterBrian for the bomber. Oh... and happy 10th anniversary Stone.

BuckeyeNation, Nov 03, 2006
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Boy howdy! That's a good IPA. Happy Birthday Stone. You guys sure know how to brew a beer. A tremendous amount of hops make this beer very bitter, herbal, earthy, and citrusy (lemons, grapefruits, and orange peel). Hop aromas leap out of the bottle even before the glass is poured. Ooh yea...there's malt too. Tons of it. In fact, the hops have a hard time keeping ahead of the sweet caramel malt, nearly syrupy flavors. Ripe and sweet fruit flavors of peaches, appricots, mangos, and papayas. Very rich and full mouthfeel, cloying sweet and mouthcoating. Very sweet and dry in the finish. So much going on that the 10% is fairly easy to overlook. Gotta sip this one to fully appreciate all of the flavors and texrures. Only complaint: too much conflict between the hops and malts. Some call it complexity. At some point I chalk it up to confussion.

BEERchitect, Sep 04, 2006
3.5/5  rDev -18.2%

Bottle courtesy of Tpaliga: Poured a medium amber color ale with a medium slightly off-white head with OK retention. Aroma of bit citrus hops is clearly dominant as expected with some nice trace of caramel malt. Taste is bitter as hell with the dominant force of the citrus hops with a good base of caramel malt. Body is a bit thin and less filtration would have been appreciated but alcohol is very well hidden. Well done for the style but not necessarily something I would go for very often.

Phyl21ca, Dec 11, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

NEW NOTES FROM TASTING THANKSGIVING 2009:
Tasted again Thanksgiving 2009-same as prior notes but with much richer, bolder and more integrated flavors.

Big pineapple nose;

big rich flavors-bourbon/whiskey flavors but super well balanced and drinking incredibly.

Currently drinking so well (and having been properly stored) I would call it one of the best all around beers I've ever consumed at this point in time. It currently has the flavor profiles of the "cask version" tapped at Stone during it's WinterStorm but with more carbonation.

This beer is currently wonderful. Please, if you have one try it now. This is exactly what one strives for and desires when aging a beer. Just my opinion.

ORIGINAL NOTES FROM 6/25/09:
Bottle - Dark orange honey color with a nice white head.

Mildly sweet orange nose with underlying malt and a hint of banana.

Bold rich and creamy mouth feel with a front palate flavor of sweet fruit, carmel and malt and a finish of grapefruit hops and light burnt toast. Some creamy coffee flavors throughout.

Complex and layered flavors. Interesting example of the bottle being better than the tap.

GRG1313, Jun 25, 2009
4.22/5  rDev -1.4%

A – Poured a very dark and hazy amber, I would almost call it a hazelnut brown but not quite. Just a very deep orange. Nearly opaque from all the haze and sediment in it. Ample carbonation was visible in the form of streams of bubbles that were churning up towards the top and then being condensed into a tight two inch foam head. Very sticky and frothy and leaving behind a ton of lace, this one gradually faded down and left behind a thin film on top and copious concentric rings along the sides. Very full look.

S – Aroma was very very hoppy, which was exactly what I had been expecting. Unrelenting aroma of orange peel and lemon were by far the most dominant here. These gradually melded in with the more sweet notes that started to percolate through and rounded it out nicely with a good touch of malts. Very well rounded flavor I must say. Extremely well put together and just the right amount of bitterness on the nose. No hint at all at the ABV lying within.

T – Wow, now this was one very big brew! From the first sip it was obvious I was going to be in for a hurtin here. This was a full out attack against my taste buds, but defiantly in a good way. Huge explosion of citrus and pine resin just gets you right from the start. Lots of ABV defiantly present here, no where near overpowering, or objectionable, but there was no way you did not know it was there. Big sugary notes start to follow in an attempt to balance out the bitterness, which actually works quite well and changes this one from a mouth ripper to something a tad more drinkable. Great dry finish with a huge long lingering taste. This was a very mean IPA, and I loved it so.

M – Great full mouthfeel. Lots of carbonation which stayed around till the very end and really helped in breaking up some of the thickness and keeping it from getting the syrupy kinda texture. Nice and easy going down, almost too easy as this was really starting to catch up to me by this point. This was a good sipper, and excellent late nighter.

D – Again this was defiantly a sipper but was soo yummy I started to treat it like it was a little more then that, and once half the bottle was gone, I knew I was gonna be in trouble. Probably should have been sharing this one but it was too late so I just pushed on and finished, boy did I regret that the next day.

Overall what can I say, this was just really really good. A huge double IPA and a Stone Anniversay ta boot. A fantastic brew here. I had waited along time to get ahold of this and I was defiantly not disappointed. This was everything I had hoped it would be. A big, really big brew that accurately reflects what the boys ofver at Stone are doing. If you can get it, go for it. Me I am gonna go nail down some 11th anniversary now so it wont be so hard next year!

mikesgroove, Sep 18, 2007
4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Thanks to t0rin0 for providing me with a bottle of this. I hadn't tried it before, and this has basically become a pretty decent barlewyine, from all accounts.

A: The pour is a dark amber color with an off-white head that leaves some great lacing.

S: The smell is pretty much your typical barleywine: toffee, brown sugar, caramel. While the hops that were certainly the focal point of this beer at one time have long since faded, there is still a very nice citrus aroma.

T: The flavors follow the nose fairly closely, however they are a bit muted. The caramel, toffee, and sugar are certainly there, along with a noticeable about of alcohol. Any hop flavors that are left are mostly covered up by the sweetness, except for a mild bitterness on the finish.

M: The body is full and the carbonation is actually surprisingly lively, even if it is a bit on the light side.

D: Like any sweet, 10% ABV beer, there's only so much "drinkability" to it. I am actually somewhat of a fan of this beer in its current state, however I can only imagine how delicious it would have been fresh.

womencantsail, Dec 09, 2009
4.15/5  rDev -3%

Appearance: Pours a hazed, dark amber body with a thin, fizzy, off-white head.

Smell: Fruit-scented, pithy aroma enveloped by a sweet-smelling caramel maltiness. Very minimal waft of alcohol.

Taste: Toasted caramel with a full, hearty sweetness. Earthy, fruity hop flavors of concentrated citrus and diminished pine resin that, though it's now two years old, still provides a solid jab of bitterness that holds until the hoppy finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus body. Medium carbonation. The mouthfeel is, I'll admit, a bit chewy.

Drinkability: Still delicious! Ah, my zest for life has finally returned. Stone 10th was good then and it's good now. Some beers arrive a mess and need years upon years to morph into something decent. Some beers are fantastic fresh but die quick, painful deaths. So, it's good to see some can stand the test of time.

ChainGangGuy, Jan 01, 2009
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I have very eagerly anticipated this beer for a longtime now thank you Orfeu for the bottles.Poures a deep burnt orange with a pillowey slight off one finger head that settles nice ans slowly leaving a thick ring of lace behind,hop complexity in the nose I pick up some apricot and leafiness as well as oddly enough a nutty character,obviously the pine and citric fruit was there maybe that dont even need to be mentioned.The alcohol presence in this beer doesnt shy away from being noticed right away quite warm on the inside a little stinging with big resiny hop character takes over after that intial alc punch big and piney with residual sweetness from hefty dose of malt to back the huge load of hops.Finishing with that apricot-like fruitiness and alcohol warmth again,like apricots soaked in vodka.Whoo this isnt for the faint of heart and I am not its hugely hoppy and the alcohol takes no prisoners its an awesome brew that should be sipped or it will leave a mark.

oberon, Nov 07, 2006
3.83/5  rDev -10.5%

A: Clear copper, darker than you'd expect an IPA to be, with a substantial blanket of foam on top.

S: Tropical and citric fruits combine with hops and alcohol for a pretty interesting aroma.

T: An extremely fruity, sweet entry becomes more citric and eventually finishes with intensely bitter hops and a slight alcohol kick.

M: Thick, slightly oily and chewy and with moderate carbonation - this is probably the heaviest IPA I've ever had.

D: Even for the style this is pretty heavy, boozy stuff. Not something I could drink a lot of.

A subtle beer it's not, but it has a remarkably complex, layered character. I generally prefer my DIPAs less sweet and fruity, but despite not necessarily matching my criteria for a perfect beer I have to give it points for being unique.

largadeer, May 31, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I don't usually write reviews like this because I feel that the purpose of a review is to inform other readers of what a beer tastes like, and then in some way help to give them an idea of what relevance or value it might have to them. However, given the recent thread about the decline of Dogfish Head and Sam's response to it, I thought I'd mention some "popularity backlash" that's gone on here.

Stone seems to be receiving a 'popularity backlash'. I was told by several people that the 10th Anniversay was not particularily worth it, and that it was a "let down". One person even stated that Stone has simply taken to making "gimmick" beers to garner more interest. I almost didn't buy this beer based on that. But looking at the price (which is actually great in comparison to many others), and knowing, based on their previous efforts, that it would at the least be "very good", I went back to the aisle where I found it and added it to my cart. And I couldn't be more happier!

It pours a very clear orange-amber body beneath a creamy head of off-white that holds remarkably well and leaves rings of craggy lace that are so numerous they become almost a "wall" of spotty and streaky lace.

The nose is bright with citrusy and pungent hops, and fruity with yeast, over a sweetish caramelish malt base. It's big and round and supple with fruit (sugary apricot, peach, grapefruit, and tangerine), soft pine, and light caramel. I find no harsh edges to it; and I think it might be one of the best beer aroma's I've found - ever!

In the mouth it's full-bodied and gently effervescent with a delicate, fine-bubbled carbonation that leaves it remarkably smooth.

In the flavor, it delivers piney, grassy, and fruity hoppiness (orange, grapefruit - as well as some yeasty berry and plum) upfront atop a slick wave of maltiness that seems to balance itself 'oh so perfectly'. There's a caramel edge to it, but the basic grainy and straw-like character is still in command. It's superbly well-rounded between the flavors, and perfectly balanced by the bitterness. It's sweetish but not sweet - and bitter but not BITTER!

Very nice! Superbly balanced! Interesting! Drinkable! A must-try!

NeroFiddled, Oct 07, 2006
4.2/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber with a really expensive silk screened label. Clear copper hue, slow bubbles to the top and a head that will not go away. Tangerines, wild flowers, spearmint, ripe peach and a ruby red grapefruit aroma. Big sweet herbal hop oils evolve into more pungent and bitter flavors of tobacco and citrus rind. Slightly viscous and creamy mouth feel with a full body. Lots of malt, sweet underneath but a warming peppery alcohol helps to keep it in check. Towards the finish is that bitterness that comes back for more ... lovely if you like hoppy which I do.

Jason, Dec 07, 2006

Appearance: Body appears copper ruby roange let's just face it this is ambrosia as in amber nectar of the gods, it simply glows. Head initially forms thick coating jcdiflorio's Mad Elf chalice. Aroma: Succulent layers of grapefruit rind, ruddy earthy dirt tinges, pine cone, with apricot and mild pineapple highlights...deep sugary sweet malt base, massive amounts of specialty malts blended to bring balance to this raw unrefined hop explosion that some would argue borders a barleywine. Either way it's amazing! Taste: Thoroughly expressive on both ends of the malt and hop caracteristics, yet the equilibrium of the two is found in a harmoniously unmatched combonation, I've yet experienced in my beer drinking. Soft yet abrasive with sweet sugary alcoholic hop bursts exploding on the palate. So worthy of a Stone 10th celebration combines extreme yet completely balanced flavors. Truely raw hops include ripe apricot, bitter rinds with a multitude of citrus fruits blended with warming alcohol that was fermented out to 10 percent abv. Sticky pine erupts in the flavor to a beer that only Stone is capable of. Mouthfeel: Full syrupy body resinous flow of hop oils this one brings it all together with even smooth carbonation with a touch of alcohol burn to lively up the palate. Drinkability: Not just another double IPA trying to out do the competition...this is a true original expression of a brewmaster's talent. Yes a ton of hops and malts don't always equate to a great creation, but in this case we're nearing perfection.

WVbeergeek, Oct 06, 2006
4.58/5  rDev +7%

Acquired via trade from IntriqKen, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him.
Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a bright amber color with a medium-sized, foamy off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is a nice blend of strong hops, sweet citrus and caramelized malt.

T: Sweet flavors of citrus and caramel start off, and then the hops bitterness quickly comes out, followed by a mild rush of alcohol warmth. It’s a little sweeter and not as hoppy as I expected, but it’s very well-balanced. It tastes very similar to but a little bit better than the 9th Anniversary Ale from what I remember of it. Wish I had saved a bottle of that one to compare.

M: Super smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, very clean finish.

D: Very tasty, goes down easy, not very filling, good representation of the style, but the high ABV makes this one an excellent sipper. This is yet another great beer from Stone.

TheManiacalOne, Jan 04, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a clouded brown orange. Nose is malty alcohol tones. Flavor is quite smooth malt tones. Aged hops are clearly present. But the malts rule here. Touches of caramel and apple tones. (As well as a fairly firm alcohol tone.) Feel is smooth on liquid and carbonation. Man. Amazing still though a totally different beer aged than fresh. A real pleasure to drink and a vibrant example of how good double IPAs can age.

RblWthACoz, Apr 10, 2009
4.18/5  rDev -2.3%

Thanks to akorsak for this - I tasted this when fresh and took notes recently of the cellared version -shared w/ octopus87. Poured chilled into a goblet and 1/2 pint and savored for a couple hours.
A - an extremely hazy deep apricot amber w/ a 1/2 inch band of pale rocky head. The cap settles to a ring, there is a moderatelly high amount of lace w/ a very fine bead.

S - A huge fruit note -plums, ruby red, mango, and pineapple in the nose w/ subtle pine in the nose. The nose is of a 10% IIPA so it has an odor of alcohol, mild cedar type woody scents and more grapefruit - the malt gives a kind of candy accent

M - The feel is viscous, w/ a heat of most barleywines w/ equivalent abv. The acidity is high and astringency is also intense. The malt is very sweet to cushion the hop intensity w/ a very bitter boozy finish

T- The malt is rich in the taste, but high in alchol flavor as it is swallowed, pepper and flowery resinous hop tastes w/ a citrus accompaniment. The flavor is of bitter herbal hops, there is a woody essence that permeates the taste buds w/ acidity of hops surfacing w/ a fruit taste like pineapple and rum. The hops contribute highly w/ slight pinesap qualities, but nice bitterness w/ the dark sugar of the malt. The flavor is very pleasing w/ considerable complexity and strength

D - A great IIPA, fun to drink even when sampling at two years old. Definitely a West coast double Ipa with hops oozing out of every possible place. The drinkability is good considering the abv. The attention given to matching malt to the intensely bitter hops is what makes this so good, you don't get the feeling the recipe is all about hops even though slanted in that direction steeply.

Slatetank, Apr 29, 2009
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours ruby red with 2.5" of lacing, great lacing & head retention

S: Oaky

T: Loads of hops & vanilla, fruitty then a persistent alcohol burn that detracts from this one's flavors. Finishes dry & fruitty with more alcohol burn

MF: Chunky & prickly could use more hops or time to balance out

Drinks great for the abv, but don't get the hype

russpowell, Nov 22, 2006
4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

Got this in a trade with KAME - thanks dude. Served in my Kuhnhenn tulip glass.

A - Poured with 1.5 fingers of tan foam that dissipated slowly and left lots of sticky lacing. Murky orange-brown with tons of bubbles racing upwards and adhering to the bottom. Good foam and carbonation after 3+ years, but I don't really dig the color.

S - Anyone expecting much in the way of hops at this point is going to be sorely disappointed - I'm not going to penalize the brew on that basis. There's a strong caramel, burnt sugar, and rumcake malt profile, and actually some residual spicy, zesty, piney, hop notes - think slightly aged Behemoth or Big Foot. As a barleywine it's solid but not mind-blowing.

T - The bitterness is a big shocker - can't believe it has persisted for this long. There's some apple, burnt sugar, and caramel malt character that give way to slight tropical fruit and peach notes. Perhaps Simcoe holds up better long-term? Minimal booze. Seems to gain more flavor depth as it warms up a little bit.

M - Medium-thick body, slight carbonation tingle, Finish is dry with some oily resinous qualities as well. Smooth and soft texture, with a bit of alcohol warmth after swallowing.

D - The booze is very well-hidden, and the flavor is still interesting, even after 3+ years. That being said, a bomber was sufficient and I won't be looking for more bottles of this aged DIPA. I can understand why Stone trots it out at the occasional festival, as it's still an interesting brew (I'm assuming they aren't making new batches, but they are instead aged kegs). Still it'd be really nice if they brewed up a new batch a la Sublimely Self-Righteous.

MasterSki, Sep 26, 2009
4.38/5  rDev +2.3%

Dark orange color, opaque, big head, huge and creamy.

Screaming out load aroma, enormous pine and citrus, fantastic fruit, graperfruit, tropicals, big and fat and fruituous (is that a word?)...me, I like it. Wow.

Taste: Same, and then some. Big, fat, loud and proud citric fruit sour bitter hop domination. That's all. Don't like it? There's the door...

Smackitty, smack, there's the hops on the attack...don't mess with them.

Wow. This is a devil of an DIPA. Damnably delicious. No complaints here.

feloniousmonk, Oct 24, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -15.2%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a Stone shaker pint glass.

Beer is hazy, big white head, almost grapefruit in color, low retention, some lacing, nice looking.

Aroma is very hoppy, pine and citrus with a strong malt sweet backbone.

This is about as heavy as an IPA can get. The palate is like chewing on hop pellets soaked in malt syrup. Strong, a little dry on the finish, maxes out on the IBUs, very strong beer overall. I'd have it again but it is a sipper, couldn't go through much of this in a sitting.

drabmuh, Dec 28, 2011
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.