Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
Jdiddy

Rhode Island

Finally, the wait is over. I cracked this bottle with much anticipation and it was indeed worth it. Poured a nice amber and the hops hit the nose instantly. eGrapefruit juce all the way with a bit of pine for good measure. This had elemnts of Arrogant Bastard (mainly in mouthfeel) but the hops are on a whole other level.
Nice thick, chewy mouthfeel and a great balance of the hops. I wouldn't really call this the most drinkable as you will feel it after one glass and after a few, the taste will be a bit much. This is a beer to savor and enjoy in moderation.

09-24-2006 20:39:12 | More by Jdiddy
ChillMike

Alabama

4.9/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a burnt orange almost amber in color with a a darker tan head into my brand new Stone 10th pint glass. Plenty of piney hops, citrusy grapefruit scents and a hint of sweet malts. Now the most important part, WOAH, talk about getting smacked with a pine tree, lots of piney taste (yeah I know it's an I2PA but wow) also a strong taste of grapefruit, it's almost like a blooming flower one taste as you begin then it slowly opens into another taste and does this several times. I like it. The alcohol is hidden pretty well but is present. Gotta be careful with these. I need to have another one of these before I decide but I'm leaning towards this being my favorite Stone Brew. If you don't like hops or chewing on pine tree branches stay away :)

08-24-2006 04:52:46 | More by ChillMike
GimpyCane

4.97/5  rDev +15.9%

appearence: dark amber w/ a frothy 11/2 inch head that was slighty cooper. had a full lasting head w some good lacing.

smell: heavy malt and grapefruit scent w/ a small hint of alcohol. strangely enough my wife and I got a hint of cottoncandy.

taste and mouthfeel: full body, syrupy, lively carbonation feel. Initially started off moderately sweet but ends w/ a long lasting heavy bitter flavor. Also has a hint of alcohol.

drinkability: great thick sipping brew

Overall Stone's 10th Anniversary IPA rocks. Love how intense and well balanced this brew was. Leaving a nice feeling of warmth as it went down. The brew got better as it reached room temperature.

09-11-2006 02:16:36 | More by GimpyCane
Cheezus

Kentucky

07-27-2012 03:48:26 | More by Cheezus
TrickKnee

Connecticut

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After what seems of months of waiting I was finally able to procur a case of these wonderful beauties.
A-Deep amber color, almost copper with a nice thick rich head
S-The smell of citrus and pine is everywhere, i wish glade could make plug-ins smell like this.
T-Unbeleivable, bitter but yet not too bitter
M-Stays in your mouth for a long time. After swallowing when you take a breath the flavor of the hops comes back to say hi, its a wonderfull thing
D-I could drink a lot of these in one sitting, but considering i only have 11 left, it will be slow going to ensure I have enough to at least last through december. WHy Stone WHy, did this have to be a one time brewing.

09-23-2006 11:11:11 | More by TrickKnee
auntfloyd

3.95/5  rDev -7.9%

Served from a 22 oz bomber into a Stone IPA specialty glass. Like many (most? all?) people reading and writing reviews of this beer, I am a total Stone fan, and also a huge IPA fan. Needless to say, I was pretty excited to see this available in my area.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPA pours a very hazy bright amber color with one finger of white head and decent lacing.

The nose is spicy sweet fruit (pineapple and grapefruit are most apparent) and sugar.

The taste... well, in true Stone fashion, this is a huge tasting beer. Rather sweet, with a piney hop flavor at front, with a sweet, almost sugary malt backbone; finishing strong with bitterness and alcohol. Definite alcohol notes, which is not a surprise as this beer is brewed at 10% abv.

Mouthfeel is somewhat is slick, much like Stone's Ruination IPA, and not altogether pleasant, as this beer is rather spicy and strong.

This is by no means an easy-drinking beer; that said you would be crazy to want to crack open more than one bomber of this brew at a time. This is a very strong ale, and should be savored, so as far as I am concerned it is certainly drinkable enough. That said, there is something to be said for being crazy.

At the end of the day, this is a good Stone IPA. If you like Stone's regular IPAs, you should try this one. If you like DIPAs in general, you should try this one. This is such a quintessentially Stone beer that it is almost moot to review it: they pretty much never screw up, and Stone fans will continue to love to big ales they brew, and everyone else will not. That said, this is a limited release, so try if you're remotely interested, try it if you can find it. Otherwise, leave it for those of us who are :)

10-17-2006 23:51:48 | More by auntfloyd
Melchizedek

4.28/5  rDev -0.2%

Oh goodness. Pours a reddened-amber with a nice solid cream head that subsides into a lingering lace.

Sniff sniff - *faint*

This may be upwards of the best-smelling beer I've ever experienced. Every sort of good thing you can pull out of hops - resin and fruit all over the place. More fruit when it's cooler: a really pineapple-y citrus tartness, then more resin and spice as it warms. Alcohol comes through but it's unobtrusive.

Taste follows up nicely on the aroma, with an aggressive hop bitterness balanced by a slight malt syrup and liquored-up piney character. It's a bit of an overload, but the balance is wonderful compared to a lot of DIPAs, and it's amazing how well the alcohol is hidden until it's warmed considerably. Spicy in the finish, and the alcohol dries everything out at last, but it's a wonderfully silky beer in the mouth as you drink it.

I. Want. More.

10-06-2006 02:21:15 | More by Melchizedek
schroederm

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

In a snifter, three-ish years old.

This beer looks fantastic. An opaque copper body with amber and pink colorings is blanketed by tons of sticky white head. I can smell it from two feet away, and I can't even wait: blood orange, clove, lemon... and a wonderful sweet character. A bit funky, has this beer converted into a barleywine?
The taste pretty much proves that is has: HUGE flavor. Peach, more blood orange, a touch of clove and pepper, overwhelmingly sweet with a fantastic bitter finish. Good body, good. The only reason this isn't perfectly drinkable is the fact that this beer just inundates your palate with flavor.

05-10-2009 20:20:33 | More by schroederm
Gasp100

Delaware

4.43/5  rDev +3.3%

A - This pours a clear amber bronze with orange highlights and an off white, fluffy head. Serious sticky lacing down the glass.
S - The smell is pure, citrusy, sweet motha hop glorification. I opened the bomber at least 2 feet away from me on my work desk and was assaulted by the hop beauty.
T - Hardcore hops, dominated by orange citrus blends... not twangy grapefruit, but real, clean, sumptous orange and tangerine. The malt backbone is sweet, caramel, solid and smooth. This is a really, really big beer.
M - A very slick hop oil mouthfeel which keeps the taste buds dancing and researching the entire time. Once again, one sip at a time to splendor in this beauty.
D - There is just way too much going on here to waste it by drinking more than 2 bombers in a sitting. I would wait until the end of a session (or make this a session by itself) letting this be your nitecap, weekcap, monthcap or dare I say yearcap... believe the hype. This is a great beer.
The alcohol is hidden EXTREMELY well -- a great, warming sensation in the gut. I love Stone beers, I appreciate extreme beers, but this is something more. More balance, more attention to detail, more of everything. A great 10th Anniversary brew.

09-18-2006 17:58:15 | More by Gasp100
BigDaddyWil

4.15/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from 22oz. bomber into a Stone IPA glass.
Acquired in trade with fellow BA BigErn.
Brewed for the Stone 10th Anniversary celebration.

Pours a deep, glowing orange color, moslty clear with good carbonation. Awesome two inch thick, fluffy, cream colored head, with decent retention. Tons of delicate, sticky lacing surrounds my glass. Fantastic looking double IPA! Smell, is almost as good! I swear this was grapefruit juice, not beer. Very strong, citrusy, fruity, smells, like I said, just like grapefruit juice. There are some hints of alcohol and hops present, but take a backseat to the fruity, citrusy aromas. Very intense hop bitterness all the way around, very sweet, with a good malt backbone. Alcohol is present too. Very enjoyable, and a pleasure for any hophead. Mouthfeel is smooth, slighlty syrupy and sticky. Drinkability is good, one bomber is enough for me, there is a definite alcohol burn. Overall a great double IPA from Stone, but who would have expected any less? A great beer to celebrate ten years of awesome beers. Here's to ten more. Congratulations Stone!!!!

10-06-2006 18:50:20 | More by BigDaddyWil
eballard

Washington

3.88/5  rDev -9.6%

This beer pours an amber color with a light lace head. A strong spicy smell with a clear IPA hops smell. This beer has a sweet hops spice taste with a heavy malt flavor. This is a very strong IPA made for IPA lovers. If you’re light of heart I would not recommend it but if you love a well blended IPA with a nice strong hops spice Id recommend this one. The mouth feel is a bit heavy but the finish is fairly clean. In all this is a great 10th Anniversary IPA. Strong and flavorful, truly this is a testament to a hard working breweries first decade.

09-07-2006 22:14:17 | More by eballard
johnniemarg

4.6/5  rDev +7.2%

22oz bomber poured into my Arrogant Bastard pint glass. Nerdy, but yes, I purposely chose this glass for the occasion of trying this brew for the first time.

Pours a light, crystal clear golden color, maybe a little orange. 2 finger offwhite head. Not really much lacing.

Smell is grapefruit, grapefruit, grapefruit. Just tons of citrus hops. I love big hoppy beers if they are balanced out with some sweetness and I can't tell if this is going to be balanced or just a hop bomb.

Wow, this is almost an elegant beer to taste. Citrus hops turn flowery during each sip leaving me with a nice floral aftertatse. I wouldn't call this sweet, but it tastes well balanced nonetheless, and I wonder if it is the type of hops they've used, which as I write this I'm clueless about which they are (but I'm about to do some searching). It's not that there is no sweetness to it...there is some sweetness on the tip of my tongue as I drink it, but the hops just take over and the hop flavor of this is nothing like any other DIPA I've had. The taste of this is just clean to me; there is something champagne-like about it, and maybe that's a combination of the flavors and the pricklyness I at first mistake for carbonation and then realize is actually the hops. Something just tastes super fresh about this, maybe what other reviewers keep calling "green". Just wow. As this warms, I begin to feel it's moving more towards the "piney" and away from the "grapefruity" type of flavor profile. Whatever, I love the hops in this.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly oily I'd say, and prickly from the hops.

This is a fantastic DIPA. I just picked up a case of this and based on this firs taste I plan to go back for case #2 tomorrow.

09-23-2006 04:21:10 | More by johnniemarg
Iguana

4.72/5  rDev +10%

So i'll start this out saying, I am not the biggest IPA fan. But man, after this beer, i'll start seeking out some of the better ones. Poured a amber/copper color into my pint glass with a nice frothy 1 inch head that went down to a thin layer on top. Smell was of nice resiny piney hops which is what I like in IPA's. Taste is simply amazing, citrusy, piney, hoppy with some nice bitterness settling into a nice rich malty background finish. I love it, I am not huge on the bitter IPA finish, but this finished sweet and tasty. Mouthfeel was rich, sticky sweet and bitter, pretty nice. Drinkability I will say is high, this is a great beer, refreshingly sweet and bitter, I love the citrusy hops this has, and man that 10% abv isnt tasteable in the beer, but boy does it creep up on ya. A truely amazing beer and quite possibly the best IPA this BA has ever had.

09-12-2006 02:10:09 | More by Iguana
unclederby

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

Been waiting on this one a while... DIPA being one of my favorite styles and Stone being, well, Stone.

Looks like dark honey in my "Magic Chouffe" tulip. The pour yielded a one finger head which didn't stay around long. There is very little visual carbonation noted and spotty lacing as i drink.

The nose is malt-driven...caramel and crystal? That's not to say the hops aren't there, once you move beyond the intitial sweetness, you'll find pine sap and plenty of hoppy citrus notes (grapefruit and tangerine).

Caramel (and vanilla?) is at the fore in the taste, but quickly a tangy melange of tangerine and orange assault you while it finishes up with a spicy bitterness that lingers for just a moment (somewhat like a grapefruit brushed with sugar). The flavors are so big that alcohol strength is well hidden.

(The bittering effect becomes more pronounced the more you drink)

This brew is full, creamy, resiny, amply carbonated and gets a mouthfeel rating of perfection for the style.

So good i'd like to drink another, but i'm not sure the ABV will let me, and i just might be drunk.

You best give it a try.

08-23-2006 01:18:31 | More by unclederby
1whiskey

4.7/5  rDev +9.6%

22 oz bomber with a great silkscreen (#7 of 10) pours out a glowing orange with a chill haze. Thick, creamy head that sticks around well for something with so high an ABV.

Smells....glorious!!! Sweet pineapple is the dominant aroma, along with pine, orange, brown sugar, and all that pleases the senses. This is my idea of aromatherapy.

More of the same in taste...this quite a pleasurable experience for the palate. Lovely hop resins contribute pine, citrus, and spruce notes. Lots of fruity flavors here...again pineapple is forefront, but I also detect papaya, mango, orange, grapefruit, apple, and a very sweet and sturdy malt backbone. Wow! What a beer. Alcohol warming is evident, but not overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is meduim to heavy, with quite of bit of (wonderful) hop resin aftertaste. Quite a bit of carbonation, and amazing head retention. I'm more than halfway through my beer and that head just won't quit. As for drinkability...it's amazing for such a big beer....or any beer, really.

Great beer...much sweeter than I expected. Not quite a barleywine, but not even close to as harsh as most DIPA's. Amazing fruit flavors. Worth seeking out. A must try if you can still find it.

12-19-2006 08:39:19 | More by 1whiskey
instrumentality

4.4/5  rDev +2.6%

I picked a couple of bottles of this one up at the local, overpriced liquor store. I was told by the store owner that it had only been in for a week and they weren't expecting another batch, but somehow I restrained myself from buying out the rest of his supply.

After finding a new home in my Stone IRS tulip glass, I observed this brew's clear amber body with a finger of off-white foamy head that took quite awhile to subside while the halo left behind remained at its full height, encircling a lacy center with scattered large white bubbles.

The smell was a delightful mix primarily of pear and tangerine with suggestions of pine and a tiny hint of grapefruit.

The first sip revealed a much more powerful (typical Stone) sensory experience than I could predict from the odors. First my taste buds detected pine and alcohol, then grapefruit, and this time the sweetness of tangerine/pear was more subdued. My palate continued to tingle for a couple of minutes from the strong hop flavor and alcohol and a slight lingering tangerine/pear.

The body felt slightly syrupy. Holding a swallow in my mouth for a couple of moments, I felt a slight alcohol burn on the roof of my mouth followed by a much more pronounced burn on my tongue. Each sip caked my mouth with more piney hop flavor; that typical less-than-clean finish that causes me to tend to prefer single IPAs over their stronger double bretheren.

I have to take my time with this one due to the hop and alcohol attack, but flavor-wise, Stone's 10th is definitely a winner, although it would need to be slightly more balanced for my tastes to earn a perfect 5. I'd say this one is closer to Dreadnaught in flavor than Ruination. I'm looking forward to investigating this brew on tap in a couple weeks.

08-29-2006 01:28:01 | More by instrumentality
sublimesipping

So, after an extended absence, this reviewer is back with another sublime beer to report on. Much anticipated release from the folks in San diego does not fail to dissappoint. An amazing beer with much to write home about.
Poured from the bottle into an oversized wine glass; the color of the beer is one of the more beautiful that I have seen in a long time, deep royal ruby red amber, nice silky glass lacing and head retention indicates freshness. Smells of herbs and hops a sophisitcated sweet smell that promises much and delivers. I would say that this is a like a beautiful belgian with a distinct character and bitterness of an IPA. The 10% alchohol makes its presence felt but it is not overpowering. the beer is super silky smooth and was a joy to drink on the back deck with an old friend(who drank Rolling rock- one of the last latrobe brewed bottles), OK. I love tis beer! It is SOPHISTICATED! with a capitol "S"! The profile of the beer changed as the bomber was killed over the afternoon, but unlike other reviewers the alcholol did not become edgey in my palate's estimation. Drinkability is slow relfective as it should for this sublime experience. A special occassion beer- say for an anniversary? I can't wait to age some of the case that I've luckily been able to get my hands on. Look for updates to this review in 2011 and 2016. Happy 10th Stone for a job continuously and righteously, need I say outrageously welldone! cheers! Thanks for the beer memories...

3 bottles into the case and my review hits 5s across the board. As my palate gets more finicky but also demands to have its a-- kicked this beer does it for me in spades. SIMPLY AMAZING!
Update 12-31/12:
Drank one of my last two bottles for the 10th new years married and now 10th new years in my house anticipation mounts as I wait to see how this aged. The verdict-
DELICiOUS! Now drinks like a barley wine amazing flavors of almond brandies Cherry and of course oak caramel and even peat wonderful way to ring in 2013 wonder what the abc now is...

01-03-2013 23:51:23 | More by sublimesipping
mjd83goblue

4.55/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at Ashley's (Ann Arbor) at the MI Stone release party. Served in a pint glass. Usually don't review a beer I've only had at the bar, but I think this is the only chance I'll have to try this beer.

A: Amberish brown, served with little head, but I don't know if that was the pour or the beer. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt.

S: Huge piney hops dominate. In a sinus clearing way. Whoa.

T: Almost a two step process: (1) Slap in the teeth of big bad hops (2) After you recover, you realize that there is quite a bit of balance with some citrusy fruits and malt. The alcohol is present, and it warms your throat while still tasting hops all the way down. "Hop-burn" is the only way I can describe it.

M: Fantastic. Thick and a little oily without being too syrupy. Perfect amount of carbonation for the style. All around great.

D: Obviously a huge beer, but so damn good.

Amazing brew. Definitely glad to finally have Stone in MI. This beer completely destroys your palate though, and I sure can't write a review of the Double Bastard I followed this up with.

10-14-2006 21:58:51 | More by mjd83goblue
biking4beer

Colorado

4.72/5  rDev +10%

22 oz bomber poured into a tulip glass.

Very nice ruby amber beer. Pours a rocky, bubbly 2 finger head. Nice lacing all the way down.

This beer smells balanced. Strong citrus and pine from the hops and very fruity sweet smelling hops. Grapefruit, caramel, peach, and just a little alcohol smell.

Taste is just he same. Too many flavors to describe. Has a huge malt backbone that makes the hops seem subtle in the big picture. I'm sure the IBUs on this are pretty high despite this. Caramel, orange, and grapefruit. Slight alcohol especially as it warms.

Very oily. Sugary and syrupy almost like drinking a flat soda. Carbonation breaks up the oil well, but it could probably use just a touch more.

I could easily drink two bomber of this beer in a sitting, but the ABV keeps the drinkability a little lower. I have to be careful with this beer.

11-22-2006 04:31:24 | More by biking4beer
Beervis

Ontario (Canada)

4.45/5  rDev +3.7%

This one was tough to get a hold of, but managed to snag some!

Pours from the bomber a ruby red with a nice foamy head. The label artwork is very cool...it's label #2 of 10 written by Greg.

Smell is beautiful cirtusy grapefruit hoppiness, totally makes my mouth water in anticipation.

Taste is sweet and citrusy, with a nice strong bitterness and alcohol bite. Hops are very dominant, but somehow not too overwhleming. Makes me want to take another sip and I haven't even swallowed this one yet. Chewy hop resins and maltiness with a medium-full body.

Finish is long and bitter with a bit of a lingering alcohol warmth.

This is very drinkable for being as hoppy as it is. Stone has once again brewed a beer that sets new standards. Glad I have a couple more bottles of this, I already crave another.

Happy Anniversary Stone, and here's to many more!

09-10-2006 22:24:30 | More by Beervis
veggiemafia

4.5/5  rDev +4.9%

Bomber into snifters.

Very nice burnished copper color with a light, white head that slowly falls to islands and lace with some stick on the sides.

Smell is perfect. Resinous pine, flowers, grapefruit, and a very distinct presence of grilled pineapple. The caramel malt interacting with the pineapple/grapefruit-y hops is just awesome.

Taste is similar with a pronounced, but never unpleasant alcohol presence. Really fruity, really floral, with a nice malt balance and some spicy alcohol that is never overbearing or unpleasant.

Mouthfeel is fairly sticky sweet, but very nice, with medium body and carbonation.

Drinkability is great for a DIPA, because of the fact that this isn't abrasive, it's very floral and fruity, with a nice malt balance, and an alcohol presence that's never overly hot. It is nicely warming, however.

10-06-2006 02:37:54 | More by veggiemafia
seedyone

2.7/5  rDev -37.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

08/22/12 On tap. Part of a Stone's flight. I was looking to re-appraise my appreciation (or lack thereof) for Stone's stuff. This was a bitter lightweight compared to the 16th Anniversary. Unfortunately all the hop jiggery-pokery went to waste on this un-hoppy guy. Better than most, but not enough for me to change horses.

06-17-2014 18:16:15 | More by seedyone
hrking

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev -4.4%

From the 3 of the anniversary brews i've tried 8,9,10,this is the best one.Had this one in a bomber at the Peach.This is the most drinkable of the 3.All the Stone stuff smashes ur face but this one is a treat has a citrus bite to it first off but easy on the finish,malts present,great carbination, not enough to kill the fish just right..Two thumbs up..Beckons from the glass a golden amber with a foamy, bready off white head. The aroma is very hoppy, bready, and some floral notes. From the first sip I knew for sure buying a swing top 3L 3 years late was not a bad call by any means. Tons of hops still punch through this baby, lots of floral and citrus accompanied by a distinct biscuit/bready flavor that produces a hint of staleness but not enough to negate the hop deliciousness. A very sweet taste overall, maybe some honey. .

12-29-2009 03:14:59 | More by hrking
idResponse

3.68/5  rDev -14.2%

Poured into a nice pintglass with a ruination IPA logo on it that stone kindly sent me. I didn't get much head from it as I'm a very careful pouring sort of fellow who tries to avoid head. The little head I did get is still laced around the edge without much hanging to the glass. Being a huge Ruination IPA fan I was expecting a lot from something touting both "Stone" and "Anniversary" celebrations in the same sentence. They have done a wonderful job, although I think there might be a little bit too much alcohol to the beer. It looks superb as an IPA should but has no noticeable sediment as usual with Stone brews. It smells excellent! I wanted to guzzle at first but I minded myself and didn't. At 10% I'm getting drunk just smelling the stuff, and the 10% really shows in the taste. It doesn't have much bite, and kind of has a bit of belgian style aftertaste in it. You can taste the alcohol but it blends in fairly well. The mouthfeel is flat and a little bland. Overall the drinkability of this beer is okay, but it is hardly able to match up to the Ruination. I'm not entirely sold on this being an actual IPA. Something doesn't quite stack up in the taste. It's a bit over fermented or something, I can't put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent beer, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for.

08-27-2006 17:25:08 | More by idResponse
zuggy9

I received a 3L growler of this treasure and what a gift it was! It pours a deep rich coppery amber. Nice head retention thinning to a nice crown. The aromas that are clear are citrus and good hops. The taste is fantastic, very hoppy but not too bitter. The mouthfeel is perfection and it drinks well, and isn't hard, even with the high ABV

Serving type: growler

01-16-2007 18:57:56 | More by zuggy9
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.