Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
idResponse

3.68/5  rDev -14%

Poured into a nice pintglass with a ruination IPA logo on it that stone kindly sent me. I didn't get much head from it as I'm a very careful pouring sort of fellow who tries to avoid head. The little head I did get is still laced around the edge without much hanging to the glass. Being a huge Ruination IPA fan I was expecting a lot from something touting both "Stone" and "Anniversary" celebrations in the same sentence. They have done a wonderful job, although I think there might be a little bit too much alcohol to the beer. It looks superb as an IPA should but has no noticeable sediment as usual with Stone brews. It smells excellent! I wanted to guzzle at first but I minded myself and didn't. At 10% I'm getting drunk just smelling the stuff, and the 10% really shows in the taste. It doesn't have much bite, and kind of has a bit of belgian style aftertaste in it. You can taste the alcohol but it blends in fairly well. The mouthfeel is flat and a little bland. Overall the drinkability of this beer is okay, but it is hardly able to match up to the Ruination. I'm not entirely sold on this being an actual IPA. Something doesn't quite stack up in the taste. It's a bit over fermented or something, I can't put my finger on it. Don't get me wrong, this is a decent beer, but it's certainly not what I was hoping for.

08-27-2006 17:25:08 | More by idResponse
zuggy9

I received a 3L growler of this treasure and what a gift it was! It pours a deep rich coppery amber. Nice head retention thinning to a nice crown. The aromas that are clear are citrus and good hops. The taste is fantastic, very hoppy but not too bitter. The mouthfeel is perfection and it drinks well, and isn't hard, even with the high ABV

01-16-2007 18:57:56 | More by zuggy9
jgap

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

I've had more than my fair share of this brew. It pours a very nice amber. A wonderful, piney smell with alcohol that is balanced well with the malt. The taste is similar. Reminds me of A lot of good times. Very hoppy, lots of piney chinooks and, pleasently, very few centenials and cascades. Exceptional taste, which is similar to the smell. Doesn't taste like a double but a well balanced, very hearty IPA. If you get the chance to taste this TAKE IT!!!!

01-20-2009 04:45:28 | More by jgap
k3n

3.35/5  rDev -21.7%

3L Growler stored in my cooler, and opened 5/24/08, aged approx 2 years.

I remember having this fresh, and enjoying it immensely, this being the IIPA that introduced me to just how fruity/citrusy an IIPA could be. Let's see how's it's held up...

A: Mostly clear, dark amber-gold. Not too much head, but I think asking for the growler to hold all the carbonation for 2 years is asking a bit much. Looks inviting nonetheless!

S: The malt has definitely over-taken things here. Plenty of caramelly goodness, but there's a distinct honey tint to the aroma as well. That's interesting. The citrusy hops are still there, but just in the background now.

T: It's pretty much a barleywine now. The maltiness is a really nice, mellow caramel/honey sweetness. This is followed by a bit of citrus rind bitterness/dryness, and a hit of raw alcohol on the finish. The fresh fruitniness I remember from the fresh bottle is gone. Sadness.

M: Mouthfeel is excellent. Even with a lower carbonation, the beer coats the mouth nicely, and provides an excellent fullness.

As an IIPA, I'd say this one is definitely past it's prime, but as an experiment in aging beer, it's pretty damn interesting.

05-25-2008 05:43:17 | More by k3n
isaac

Oregon

4.88/5  rDev +14%

this is far and away my favorite beer (...as of yet...)

A - bright, vibrant copper color, or burnt orange, or whatever you want to call it. thick, white head that faded to gorgeous lacing on both the top of the beer and down the glass.

S - This smell will provide the bench mark for all other smells. A whallop of citrus (orange, grapefruit) hops, toasted caramel malts, and faint wiffs of fruity alcohol. My mouth watered.

T - So. Very. Good. Big, juicy hoppy taste, which hides the (10%!) alcohol quite nicely. Some sweetness from the malts, but this is a showcase for the hops. The flavor lingers for a while after the sip has gone down and there is nice warming feeling in the back of the mouth and throat. Very well balanced.

M - Heavy mouthfeel, but not overly so. This big feel just adds to the taste and doesn't make the beer syrupy at all.

D - This is beer as food, and in the best way. I'm so sad I didn't get to have more of this, as it seems the local stores are out of the 22s. crap.

10-18-2006 23:21:06 | More by isaac
GimmeAles

Washington

4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

2-fingers of eggshell cream cap a clear, medium umber. Cloudiness developed upon subsequent pours form the bottle.

Aroma is of juicy mandarin oranges, candied grapefruit rinds, some pineapple and macerated pine needles - all swirling about in a heady, virulent harmony.

Everything detected in the nose is robustly confirmed in the flavor but with a sweet, crushing wall of toffee-caramel malt which brings things into surprising balance. Fireweed honey, a subtle nuttiness, and a suggestion of rose-hip tea appear before the stinging heat of brash alcohol asserts itself. Whoa.

Smooth, fine bubbles jettison a rich, oily body, which is squarely in Barleywine territory as far as mouthfeel goes, but the strong alcohol dries out the finish and begs another sensory-overloading sip. This is like drinking a fine, hop-malt spirit and oh-so-enjoyable throughout. One of my favorite beers ever, and I believe I need to go grab another case. While I love the fresh-hop character, I’m quite curious to see where some age takes this beer.

09-23-2006 17:28:12 | More by GimmeAles
throwitallaway

Alabama

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Poured from growler into pint glass. Amber color with a thick white head. Smells incredible with notes of pineapple, mango, pine, caramel, and a touch of alcohol. Taste is similarly complex, starting with a very obvious pineapple taste, that fades into bready malts, caramel, and piny, hop bitterness. Alcohol is well hidden with only some warming in the throat. Mouthfeel is full-bodied and creamy. Very drinkable for such a big beer. This is definitely Stone's best creation, and one my favorites in general.

04-28-2008 22:37:27 | More by throwitallaway
uberabr

4.15/5  rDev -3%

Pours a crystal clear, gold red. Very unique color, much darker than Stone's regualr IPA. The head is light and frothy with good lace and recedes quickly. Excellent carbonation.

Pungeant, complex aroma. Pine and perfume with citrus. A definite hint of grapefruit but nowhere near the normal IPA, not as much hopps either. This one's sweeter. Smells of caramel and apple, a good combination!

Bold taste. A strong, hoppy, sugary malt with a medium-to-light bitterness and a sweet nectar, malty aftertaste. Like the aroma, this one's very complex. You can definitely taste the alcohol, maybe a little too much for my taste. This one's not a session ale and it's not trying to be. Mouthfeel is perfect. Full body and exquisite carbonation. Did I mention the carbonation?

Overall: A bold, even brazen, confident ale. A classy package that might have a little more than you asked for, but demands respect.

10-07-2006 05:49:41 | More by uberabr
ChazMania

4.93/5  rDev +15.2%

I bought a case of this right when it was released, so I have had it quite fresh and a few staggered every other month. This is my first one in maybe 2 months. I'm a huge fan of this beer.

A) Still pours nice and thick with a dark cantelope color.

S) Enormous, exploding aroma of hops. I don't know which hops have which flavor/aroma character. (i.e. amarillo, cascade, etc)

T) Huge and robust. I can taste a hint of pineapple overtones. I had this once on tap and that's when the pineapple was right up front.

M) Chewy and thick.

D) This could be a desert island beer for me!

04-21-2007 20:40:08 | More by ChazMania
fain12

11-28-2013 08:15:01 | More by fain12
bkett01

4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a cloudy amber/orange topped with a billowing 2 finger head after a somewhat aggressive pour. Head dies away somewhat quickly leaving a few patches of bubbles floating around this amazing looking beer.
The smell is bold and raw, filled with piney hops. This has the real double IPA smell in that you can detect more than just insane amounts of hops, finding hints of alcohol amongst all thats going on. This smells similar the most intense double IPA I have ever had, "Hell Spawn of Oliver", a monster beer out of Vermont that boasts it's IBU's to be over 200.
Tastes suprisingly balanced between piney hops with hints of grapefruit over a smooth toasted malt. While this isn't over the top on hops in terms of balance, their presence is right up front in every sip. I'm reviewing the second bomber of this that I've had so far (the first one had only been refrigerated for a few hours by the time I popped it) and the second one is notably more drinkable at the colder temperature. My first bomber, while good, had a dominating alcohol flavor which masked the finer elements of this incredible beer. While the warming alcohol is still present in my current beer, it's mixed in well with the other elements.
Overall, this is an amazing beer which I could only say lacks in drinkability due to it's strength. As of 9/24/06, it stands as my highest reviewed beer to date, and I highly recommend trying getting some while you can.

09-25-2006 00:28:44 | More by bkett01
abankovich

4.13/5  rDev -3.5%

I drank this out of a 3 liter bottle split with my roommates. No way in hell I could drink this by myself. Review on the way:

Note ahead of time, this bottle is the 10th anniversary with no bottled on date. I have some 11th anniversary in the fridge, so this bottle is at least about 1 1/2 years old.

Appearance is a cloudy amber/orange with a very respectable lacing. For a 10%, "aged" beer this one really did leave a decent sticky lacing all the way down.

Getting ahead of my notes, the smell has more hops present in it than the taste does. That said, I am thoroughly impressed with the hop presence after the aging of this bottle. Definite sweet/caramel malts present as well, more prominent than the hops.

As mentioned, the hops are more noticeable in aroma than in taste. However I admit they are impressively noticeable in the taste considering that this beer has been waiting to be opened for about 1 1/2 years. Sticky and sweet are the two defining taste characteristics of this beer.

Medium bodied, smooth yet biting sourness are what I'm getting from the mouthfeel.

I only drank 1 liter of this 3 liter bottle, so I'm reviewing this drinkability based on 1 liter of the 10th anniversary. Definitely strong at 10%. I honestly would drink another (whether or not that would be advisable). The malt sweetness after a year+ of aging is still not too overpowering for an IIPA. I'm very impressed with this IIPA for holding strong this long.

I've got to thank my roommate for buying this 3Liter for my birthday. Excellent present and a great chance to taste a fantastic beer. Cheers to stone.

05-26-2008 00:59:31 | More by abankovich
jletts

Washington

4.05/5  rDev -5.4%

10th anniversary Stone IPA

Smelled bready malty with hops and tasted hoppy bitter with grapefruit and malty earth tones and some weak grassy notes. Alcohol is perceived at the end with a slight tongue burn and a peppery bitter finish warming the stomach.
Mouthfeel- well carbonated but thick and smooth. Tasty, but a sipper for sure.

Notes: It's hard to differentiate at times from all the IPA's offered by Stone. Their IPA, Ruination IPA, 10th anniversary, and various dry-hopped IPA's are most excellent but at times seem to meld together in my mind. An excellent IPA, as they all are, but I would recommend trying the near-by Green Flash Brewing's Imperial IPA if you want a completely different take on strong hops.

04-16-2007 01:51:00 | More by jletts
BlackJeremiah

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a Stone 10th anniversary pint glass.

A-Dark amber in color. 1/2" head with mild lacing as I went. It looks like a precious gem, rare and beautiful (or, at least, rare around here). Made my mouth water as I poured it.

S-Pine, sour citrus, sage and alcohol. Now my mouth is REALLY watering. The sage is really very slight, but mixes well with the scents of indeciduous trees and grapefruit.

T-Actually, a deceptively sweet start. This, however, is brief, and I really got a wallop of citrus, followed by that luscious piney character. The sage I smelled is the longest lasting flavor, and the hop bitterness lingers on alongside it. Not much burn at all, considering it's 10% ABV. This is a fantastic DIPA, with Stone's characteristic over-the-top bitterness melded with a great array of complementary flavors.

M-Present without being thick, carbonated without being too effervescent. Drinks like an IPA should: it's an easy drinker, but refuses to be ignored.

D-I could drink this all night. I just couldn't get up in the morning if I did.

09-17-2006 01:37:48 | More by BlackJeremiah
SeanInDC

3.75/5  rDev -12.4%

10-12-2013 01:30:01 | More by SeanInDC
Calico

4.63/5  rDev +8.2%

Pours with a lovely head which stays in a Belgian-like lace for a while.
Color a very clear amber-red.

The nose is full of pine, almost exclusively pine with a hint of citrus and a suggestion of alcohol strength.

Taste: a wonderful combination of pine, mixed peel (think mixed citrus allowed to concentrate and dry a bit, if you're not familiar with the product), plum, guava, and passionfruit. So it's like a punchy fruitcake under the Christmas tree! (Then the hops sneak up with their sagey bitterness under the back of my tongue and remind me that they are making me sleepy, very sleepy..)

Mouthfeel: well carbonated, full bodied, sparkly, warm with booziness.

Drinkability: I'd love to drink a whole growler of this, but in the morning I'd wish I hadn't. Half a bomber at a time for me, thanks. Thank goodness I live with a fellow beer enthusiast who'll happily relieve me of the other half.

12-23-2006 02:59:55 | More by Calico
bearisprime

02-08-2012 22:43:46 | More by bearisprime
methtlcai

4.53/5  rDev +5.8%

Enjoyed from a cool looking bottle (Design #1 of 10) with Bottle cap design #2 with the Gargoyle head and dates of Stone's existence

Appearance: dark amber with a finger-thick off-white head that provided pretty good lacing - but nothing rocky or extremely beautiful.

Smell: Knocked me back a bit! Loads of fresh hops and something spicy or leathery which kept things interesting

Taste: Very hoppy - not so much fruity , but more piney and very bitter ( a good thing). Alcohol is hidden very well, especially for 10% The cloying smokiness/leatheriness is still present and I continue to drink trying to find out exactly what it is...

Mouthfeel: The best aspect of the beer. Very silky smooth, full bodied feel that coats the tongue and doesn't let go

Drinkability: The fact that I would love to reach for another (if they werent so darn expensive) of these says it all. Great beer!

12-20-2006 01:54:04 | More by methtlcai
delicious

Vermont

4.28/5  rDev 0%

Poured out of a 20 fl. oz. bottle adorned with commemorative label #1 of 10.
Hazy copper body beneath a foamy off-white head.
Ton of hops in the nose. Citrus, leafy, spicy hops with a bready background.
It tastes like a warm and bitter mouthful of fresh hops. There isn't an overwhelming rush of hop bitterness; it holds a strong presence indeed, but it doesn't deliver a militant blow to the tastebuds, and nor does the alcohol. Instead they both come in smoothly, warming the cockles pleasantly with glowing coals rather than combusting them as ten percenters are want to do. As the beer warms and breaths, some malt character comes out, sweetening it ever so slightly.
Anyone who loves to sip warm hoppy beers should put in the extra effort to find this one.

06-10-2007 04:24:47 | More by delicious
nicefix

4.1/5  rDev -4.2%

Wicked looking silkscreen label on the bottle, very cool artwork.

Poured a nice clear amber color with a good sized off white head and sticky lace down the glass.

Smells of massive hops, pungent oily piney grapefruit aromas, very very pleasant.

Taste- At first I wasn't sure what to think. I had a lot of antisipation and it seemed a little rough at first. Maltier than I expected. Heavy alcohol. But after a few more sips, I got passed the alcohol, and the hops became more appearent. Really quite delicious, although still very strong in alcohol.

I have to say, it doesn't have the greatest drikability but it's still a very good brew. It's so strong in taste and alcohol that I couldn't see drinking this all night.

Notes- I respect this beer. But it's a bit rough. I expected more hoppy goodness. The heavy alcohol flavor is a bit much for me and IMO seems to overpower the other flavors. But still a must try.

10-03-2006 01:57:42 | More by nicefix
MVassar

3.98/5  rDev -7%

Very attractive clear amber/honey color, with a sturdy light-cream colored head. Lacing absolutely coats the glass.

The nose is somewhat one dimensional. Some impressive pine, but not much else. Maybe a touch of malt and caramel.

Rich, powerful, and decadent. Tons of herbal hops, sweet malt, followed by a lingering bitter-citrus zest. Strident alcohol.

Feels great in the mouth. Full-bodied, almost chewy. Wonderfully creamy and luxurious in texture.

I love the bitterness in the finish. Keeps me sipping.

12-16-2006 23:51:57 | More by MVassar
jaybrough

Arizona

10-12-2013 03:51:23 | More by jaybrough
GDMFSOB

4.35/5  rDev +1.6%

What a freakin' beer! Two-fingered, off-white head dissipates fairly quickly. The smell and taste are just an explosion of citric fruits and strong, fresh hops. Most IPAs start tasting very similar after a while but this is truely unique. I've got the thing at least three feet from my nose right now and it is all I can smell. A little bubble gum on the nose as well. The hops and citrus are very strong, but surprisingly not overwhelming. Very drinkable for 10% ABV. WOW!!

10-11-2006 21:55:29 | More by GDMFSOB
BitterBrian

3.53/5  rDev -17.5%

Found this at Capone's on Germantown Pike. - I had to give them their props as they are striving for a stellar selection and doing a fine job.

It poured a clear honey/amber into my "imperial" pint glass. It had a nice linen colored head, but it disolved into some sticky lacing rather quickly.

The initial smell is awesome. Grapefuit, honey, and pine sap are the most evident smells, but there is a faint metallic smell on the very backend of it. The hop aromas are complimented by some biscuity malts.

Dear LORD this is a hoppy beer! I've had most of the heavy hitters in this style and this one takes the cake! The "balance" is left in the aroma, because there isn't much in the taste. It tastes like a Stone IPA with a mouthfull of grass clippings.

As for drinkability, this one is waaay to excessively hopped to be a drinker. One of these and I'm done. Actually, I would have rathered a 12ozer. I feel like I just washed my stomach with a strong detergent.

Mouthfeel: I'm left smacking my lips like a dog eating peanut butter.

I'm glad I tried it, but I'll stick to Ol' Horace or Double Simcoe for this style. They seem just a bit more balanced and enjoyable.

09-10-2006 19:57:14 | More by BitterBrian
mitchfor3

4.65/5  rDev +8.6%

Purchased BEFORE the release date at Ledger's for $5/bomber.
Poured into a pint glass.

Reddish-copper hue with slowly bubbling carbonation. Thick creamy head with impressive staying power and good lacing. I'm sitting here looking at this beer wanting this to be a 5.

Nose is a blast of white grapefruit and piney, resiny notes. Hops all the way.

Tastes exactly as expected - a hop bomb, west coast all the way. Alcohol is there - and at 10% it probably should be. As balanced as a DIPA should be - yeah there's a malt backbone but it stays out of the way of the hops.

I'm having a hard time rating this one. I want to give it a bonus for being from Stone, but I know I shouldn't do that.

Smell is a no-brainer - it's a 5.
Appearance is a 4.5. It's better than "good" but I don't see a reason to call it "exceptional."
Mouthfeel - 4. This is probably the beer's weak point. I wish it were a little thicker - feels just a little thin.
Drinkability -5. Why the hell not. It's good and I plan on drinking a lot of it!
Taste - 4.5. It's damn good, but it's just not PERFECT. Therefore, I can't give it the perfect score as much as I want to.

Good choice for Stone's 10th Anniversary. To be honest, I'm a touch disappointed since the beer was excellent but not mindblowing as I was hoping. In my opinion, it doesn't really stand out from some of the other excellent DIPAs available. Still, good job Stone. Damn good beer. Happy 10th.

08-22-2006 07:24:25 | More by mitchfor3
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.