Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Another great release from the prepubescent Stone Brewery! I can't believe this place is only ten years old. More than five years ago when I was a seventeen year old beer vacuum, mylocal liquor store employee, known to me as Raj Kumar, tried to get me into Stone by giving me free samples for a little work around the store. I thought all their beer tasted like cut grass, but now I know that Stone consistently offers the best IPAs and Double IPAs on the market.

The Tenth Anniversary IPA is extemely hoppy, heavy on the citrus undertones and it artistically hides its high ABV. It pours with a thick white head that slowly releases to a lacy finish, and the smell reminds me of my homegrown hops at harvest: juicy, sweet, and full of flavor. The lowest score I gave it came in the drinkability category, not because I wouldn't like to down a gallon, but rather because such consumption could lead to lapses in consciousness and responsibility.

Stone is one of the few breweries I have not visited in the Cali, but I gotta go soon. Their beer is of the best in the world. Hands down.

4.32/5  rDev +0.9%

Phenomenal. First word that came to mind after taking my first sip of this beer. Poured an appealing red with a small head (maybe a 1/2 a finger). Very strong, smell of plum, pine, hops, phenols and so much more. Before even tasting this beer the smell alone impressed me greatly. It is to the point where it is borderline overpowering, yet I couldnt stop sniffing the glass between each sip.
Taste starts of sweet with the plum still coming to mind, instantly followed by a wave of hops before the alcohol takes over.The taste is pretty complex, so I apologize for not going into further detail. As you would expect the alchohol is very present.
For such a big beer the mouthfeel is surprisingly light and easygoing, and it is dangerously drinkable.
Damn this beer is good.
Stone has yet to let me down. Go get a bottle right now.

4.8/5  rDev +12.1%

Although I'm not a high end beer rater with the ability to break down a beer to color, apperance, lacing...yada, yada, yada...I do however have the the ability to know what I like...and this is a beer that I could like forever...

This beer falls in the top ten of all the beers I've ever had...

If you like hops....then search no further....Stone has cornered the market!!!!

3.76/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a clear, amber with an off-white head that dissipates quickly. Not terribly awe-inspiring.

The nose is where I'm starting to get excited. A deliciously sweet grapefruit hops smell.

First taste is a quick shot of hops followed quickly by a sweet, chewy malt taste (which I can't seem to describe) which again quickly gives way to the pleasant warming/burning of the alchohol. Finally, a settling on an overall numbness from the hop/alchohol combo.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Really pretty nice here.

For a DIPA, this is better than average, but I think that one glass is enough to satisfy me and that working my way through an entire bomber may wipe me out for the week.

Tastes to me like a more restrained version of the Ruination.

4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I visited the brewery in Escondido, CA. The beer was on tap and it was good. Great flavor and consistency. I am not a big fan of the IPAs, but Stone Brewery is very impressive. Their ability to bring out the super hoppy aroma and taste is very unique. Maybe I still need to try more IPAs, but regardless I am a fan now.

This is my first rating of a 5

A: Deep amber. Darker than I would usually think for an American Double IPA. A wonderful cross between honey and molasses.

S: APRICOTS and PEACHES and lots of them. There is as much fruit here as there is pine and citrus in Dreadnaught. The smell is fantastic and really hits the nose strong

T: Nice big double IPA flavor. The fruit in the hops makes way for some sweetness from the malt. Finishes with a mild alcoholic burn, but you would be hard pressed to think it's 10% abv -- it's just THAT balanced

M: Smooth as silk. Nice oily coating that stays on the roof of the mouth and the tongue

D: Absolutely amazing IMO. I would put this right up there with Dreadnaught, although maybe just SLIGHTLY not as good. Hard to say. Delicious!

4.77/5  rDev +11.4%

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS!

4.75/5  rDev +11%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.

firstprev| 351-375 | 376-400 | 401-425  | next → last
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.