Stone 10th Anniversary IPA - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 10th Anniversary IPAStone 10th Anniversary IPA

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Todd on 08-19-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 10th Anniversary IPA Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Appearance: Very beautiful beer. Medium copper color with a nice creamy tan head. Nice tight bubbles with a creamy light top. Head remains after several minutes although it is dissipating.

Smell: Nice smooth smell of hops with a slight tinge of alcohol at the end.

Taste: All I can say is HOLY CRAP. This beer is probably the most well balanced IPA I have ever tasted. Hops are very nice and not overly bitter on the finish. I get a slight caramel taste right before the finish. If this beer were a girl I would marry it....even though I vowed to never get married again! I thought my palate would be ruined with Ruination but i have to say this beer is more balanced and makes Ruination my "old" favorite.

Mouthfeel: Light and creamy with a nice tingle on the tongue. Not too heavy and not too light. Near perfect mouthfeel I must say.

Drinkability: Wow! If I could find this in Texas I would buy up every bottle and quit my job. Needless to say I will be trading for some more of this soon.

MaGno, Oct 04, 2006
4.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Fantastic beer. It's all Belgian in spirit, smoothly hiding its alcoholic strength behind some very full and balanced flavors. But speaking of flavor, it's all English: a bready-sweet malt melody, matched by a nice background harmony of hop bitterness. Indeed, rather than a classic west-coast (or San Diego) double IPA, I'd be inclined to classify it as a double ESB (Fuller's X 2?). My only complaint is that as I made it deeper and deeper into my glass, the malty sweetness started to get a little cloying. But just a little. A truly world-class brew.

petemorris, Mar 04, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -10%

The Stone 10th Anniversary IPA is a very tasty entry level IPA ( I rather prefer the Dorado Double IPA or even any of the # IPA's from DogFish head).

The color was a light straw color with nice legs in the glass, which seemed to cling to the glass as it was "quaffed". The drinkability was good but of would been a little better if the beer was left to get a little warmer, as it was a little to cold right out of the fridge but the last dregs from the glass where considerably smoother although it might have been the 10% ABV talking.

The finish was a little on the sweet side with subtle pineapple flavors with a underlying pepper finish as well..

Aroma: Has slight citrus tones followed by light grassy undertones with a little bit of caramel slipping in @ the end..

Scorpious, Jan 22, 2007
4.6/5  rDev +7.5%

My third review and it's a doozy! My beer reviews are pretty much for me, in my own words, so I can remember each beer experience!

This beer was my very first double IPA ever. I had it a few months ago, after I bought an entire case of it for a fellow BA (Blithering Idiot) for being such a great friend and showing me a couple of great beer stores in PA and MD. He left my husband and I two bottles out of the case to try out. Not really thinking anything of it, a few weeks later I finally said okay, let's try this Stone 10th Anniversary Ale..now, mind you,I am not a hophead by any stretch, as a matter of fact I am not really a fan of bitter or really hoppy beers at all, I prefer stouts!

Poured a clear, crisp, golden color, with a bit of head and some lacing into my tulip.

The smell, oh, the smell is the best part - all of the hops gives a citrusy, fruity, piney, smell, with a final, strong, smack in the face grapefruit smell. For some reason, I LOVE the smell of this beer..I could just smell it all day long!!

The second best part of this beer is the taste. I gotta tell you that when I first smelled this, I was afraid that the taste would be exactly the same - smack in the face grapefruit. In as much as I love the smell, I don't really like the taste of grapefruit. I was pleasantly surprised that this beer is not overpowered by the grapefruit. A nice, full bodied beer, and a perfect balance between the hops and malt here. No major bitterness here at all!

Today, I am enjoying yet another 10th Anniversary, about the 3rd or 4th one since my very first, and each time, I enjoy it more and more. This is by far the best DIPA I have had thus far.

Way to go, Stone!
Cheers!
April

Aprilluvsbeer, Dec 01, 2006
4.4/5  rDev +2.8%

Another great release from the prepubescent Stone Brewery! I can't believe this place is only ten years old. More than five years ago when I was a seventeen year old beer vacuum, mylocal liquor store employee, known to me as Raj Kumar, tried to get me into Stone by giving me free samples for a little work around the store. I thought all their beer tasted like cut grass, but now I know that Stone consistently offers the best IPAs and Double IPAs on the market.

The Tenth Anniversary IPA is extemely hoppy, heavy on the citrus undertones and it artistically hides its high ABV. It pours with a thick white head that slowly releases to a lacy finish, and the smell reminds me of my homegrown hops at harvest: juicy, sweet, and full of flavor. The lowest score I gave it came in the drinkability category, not because I wouldn't like to down a gallon, but rather because such consumption could lead to lapses in consciousness and responsibility.

Stone is one of the few breweries I have not visited in the Cali, but I gotta go soon. Their beer is of the best in the world. Hands down.

pdrizzle, Oct 16, 2006
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Phenomenal. First word that came to mind after taking my first sip of this beer. Poured an appealing red with a small head (maybe a 1/2 a finger). Very strong, smell of plum, pine, hops, phenols and so much more. Before even tasting this beer the smell alone impressed me greatly. It is to the point where it is borderline overpowering, yet I couldnt stop sniffing the glass between each sip.
Taste starts of sweet with the plum still coming to mind, instantly followed by a wave of hops before the alcohol takes over.The taste is pretty complex, so I apologize for not going into further detail. As you would expect the alchohol is very present.
For such a big beer the mouthfeel is surprisingly light and easygoing, and it is dangerously drinkable.
Damn this beer is good.
Stone has yet to let me down. Go get a bottle right now.

spruce488, Sep 23, 2006
4.28/5  rDev 0%

Dayton recently had their 10th Alefest. One of the featured, rare brews was Stone's 10-year Anniversary batch. I am trying to get confirmation if this was part of a special re-brew batch for the event or was simply mislabeled. Both the local media, vendor and event pamphlet cited it as Stone 10th Anniversary IPA. Yet, BA claims it was only brewed once. Nonetheless, I will go with the information I have and make my review of it until I hear otherwise. I do have an email in with Stone Brew.

Let me say, this was my favorite of what I had at the event. I did not make it through all that I wanted there, but this I did and was very pleased.

It's tough to make a true assessment of something you only had two ounces of in between other beers, but what I can remember is this:

Color was very appealing, not entirely clear, but of a lighter amber with medium head.

Smell was sweet and citrusy as you would expect from an IPA, yet not strong

Taste was smooth. The hoppiness was there to open the door to it's smooth followthrough that matched it smell.

This very gentle on the palate. The 10% ABV didn't steal the show as does other high alcohol brews.

Everyone I talked to afterward cited this as maybe they're favorite of the festival. I concur.

kdogg73, Aug 25, 2008

pjeagles, Jan 05, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

Dimzy, Jun 22, 2012
4.75/5  rDev +11%

ColbySutherland, Sep 01, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +12.9%

Although I'm not a high end beer rater with the ability to break down a beer to color, apperance, lacing...yada, yada, yada...I do however have the the ability to know what I like...and this is a beer that I could like forever...

This beer falls in the top ten of all the beers I've ever had...

If you like hops....then search no further....Stone has cornered the market!!!!

Haslips, Oct 19, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -12.9%

Pours a clear, amber with an off-white head that dissipates quickly. Not terribly awe-inspiring.

The nose is where I'm starting to get excited. A deliciously sweet grapefruit hops smell.

First taste is a quick shot of hops followed quickly by a sweet, chewy malt taste (which I can't seem to describe) which again quickly gives way to the pleasant warming/burning of the alchohol. Finally, a settling on an overall numbness from the hop/alchohol combo.

Mouthfeel is creamy and smooth. Really pretty nice here.

For a DIPA, this is better than average, but I think that one glass is enough to satisfy me and that working my way through an entire bomber may wipe me out for the week.

Tastes to me like a more restrained version of the Ruination.

markb40, Dec 01, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +5.1%

I visited the brewery in Escondido, CA. The beer was on tap and it was good. Great flavor and consistency. I am not a big fan of the IPAs, but Stone Brewery is very impressive. Their ability to bring out the super hoppy aroma and taste is very unique. Maybe I still need to try more IPAs, but regardless I am a fan now.

PicoDeGallos, May 10, 2007

This is my first rating of a 5

A: Deep amber. Darker than I would usually think for an American Double IPA. A wonderful cross between honey and molasses.

S: APRICOTS and PEACHES and lots of them. There is as much fruit here as there is pine and citrus in Dreadnaught. The smell is fantastic and really hits the nose strong

T: Nice big double IPA flavor. The fruit in the hops makes way for some sweetness from the malt. Finishes with a mild alcoholic burn, but you would be hard pressed to think it's 10% abv -- it's just THAT balanced

M: Smooth as silk. Nice oily coating that stays on the roof of the mouth and the tongue

D: Absolutely amazing IMO. I would put this right up there with Dreadnaught, although maybe just SLIGHTLY not as good. Hard to say. Delicious!

mdnowak, Sep 11, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island

Like most of us I have been waiting months to get me greedy hands on this beer. Hell I even marked the calendar for this one and that’s something that I rarely do. Well I wait no longer....

A: Copper/Amber in color. Thick white head which lasted about a minute or so with an aggressive pour at the end. Nice bubbles. Half way down, great lacing that doesn’t stick but drizzles down the side of the glass like a sudden avalanche.

S: Sweet, upfront citrus molecules that grab your sense a smell and jolt around your nose like a pinball in a pinball machine, very nice. Also some robust caramel undertones.

T: Spicy, piney, sweet, as well as tropical/mango/peachy/citrusy with hints of alcohol sneaking in at unexpected moments. Thus the analogy; Walking on Hot Coals on a Tropical Island.

M: Thin to medium. This really doesn’t bother me but I feel like this beer could have used a little more body. Maybe mashing at a slightly higher temp could have fix this but the fact that it’s a bit thin makes this beer a little easier to drink so no worries. The carbination was great.

D: The thinness and smooth bitterness of this beer really turn this beer from a sipper into a two sipper. It’s definitely not a session beer but one can easily take down a few glasses in one sitting. The alcohol burn is there but is not present throughout the whole drinking experience.

This is a great beer. Can’t wait to taste this one in the years to come. Major props to Stone. Congrats on the 10 years and here’s to many more, CHEERS!

sirhc, Aug 23, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +11.7%

In a word, perfection: Dark amber, copper color. Smells great. This is NOT your typical Stone brew. In fact, this is actually a rare breed for a San Diego brew. Maltier & very hoppy, but a more mellow hop flavor. The mouthfeel and taste remind me of a hopped up 90 minute IPA. Somewhat akin to Southern Tier UnEarthly. First sip is sweet and thick, but somehow, the beer quickly mellows and thins on the tounge, and ends with a wallop from what I assume is simcoe hop. I think this is a beer that is going to be loved by the masses. It’s hoppy enough to make us West coast people happy, yet it’s balanced and not overbearing. A true winner.

naven, Aug 24, 2006
« first ‹ prev | 401-425 | 426-450 | 451-475  | next › last »
Stone 10th Anniversary IPA from Stone Brewing Co.