Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped)
No picture uploaded.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 12-26-2006)

Got a growler of this at Stone a few weeks ago when it was on special and immediately told 2 of my buddies to come over and try this nectar with me.

When we cracked it and started pouring it you could immediately smell the hoppiness just coming off the beer as it hit the glass. And as we smelled it right before drinking it everyone smiled and knew they were in for a treat.

That growler lasted less then an hour...

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

This beer pours a very attractive golden color with a thick, fluffy white head. The head fades slowly, leaving a thick sheet of lace.

This beer has a very floral aroma. I like all the double dry hopped beers from Stone. It smells citrusy. I detect some lemon, and some grapefruit. It also has a slightly piney aroma. A very subtle grassy aroma is present as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. It tastes quite floral. Almost like drinking a flower. It has a citrus taste also. Mostly grapefruit. A slight piney flavor is present. It has a subtle malty backbone however. This beer is very well rounded.

This beer is quite crisp and refreshing. It goes down very smooth, leaving a floral aftertaste. This beer is perfectly carbonated.

I think this beer would make a great session beer. I love Stone IPA, and this beer just takes that one up a notch.

Overall: Great beer by a great brewery. A must have for any Stone lover or any IPA lover.

4.95/5  rDev +15.1%

Citrusy. The hops taste very fresh and very bright. I'm not a big fan of the normal IPA, too basic for my tastebuds, but this was definitely a treat. I had this with a bunch of other Stone hop bombs at the Stone Tap Takeover at 1702 in Tucson, AZ. I liked the double dry-hopped Ruination more than this but I liked this more than the 10th Anniversary Ruination (which is saying a lot).

4.93/5  rDev +14.7%

Had this at the World Bistro. Impressive deep golden color with a pungent aroma similiar to the hops close cousin. Taste is a fresh hop blast that doesn't overwhelm the palate. I would drink this over Ruination in a heartbeat. Worth the trip to Escondido.

4.9/5  rDev +14%

Appearance: Very light orange, looks nice and malty

Head: Small white head

Smell: Light citric with a sweet malty backbone

Taste: Big hop, almost of a tropical fruit with a heavy malt notes

Weight: Light to medium body with low carbonation

Finish: Big citric sticks around forever and stickiness on the lips

This might be the best beer that has ever hit my palate!

4.9/5  rDev +14%

A- Nice light-honey/amber. Head stood well, 1-1 1/2 fingers, decent lacing.

S- First poor from the growler was all citrus- lemon, and a little grapefruit. Nice mild pine, not overpowering. Hops are deffinately well balanced.

T- Again, the citrus nose starts the flavor, then there is a mild pine throughout. Finishes very cleanly.

M- medium bodied

Plan on hitting Green's in the morning to pick up a few more growlers before it is gone. Deffinately a great ballanced drinker.

4.88/5  rDev +13.5%

Received this brew from PeprSprYoFace after months of waiting for this beauty to come on tap. I'm a big fan of Stone IPA and I can only imagine how much better this beer can get with a couple rounds of dry hopping. Drank from a nice generic mug at Lake Wausau in Wisconsin.

Appearance- Pours a lightly hazy yellowish with a big beautiful frothy bright white head with excellent staying power. About a half finger cap and collar is maintained the entire beer along with a fair amount of thick lacing.
Smell- SO piney and full spearmint and wintergreen. I don't think I've ever whiffed a so intensely smelling beer. The hop character in the nose is unbelievable. So fresh and fruity. Seriously, if I didn't know better I'd say this brew was made with 100% hops, no malt.
Taste- Wow, definitely the same as the original with a super fresh fruitiness that is unbelievably tasty. Mango's galore with hints of peach and grapefruit. A cracker like maltiness hides in the background and is the perfect base for the fruity goodness to sit upon. The finish is SO citrusy and clean.
Mouthfeel- Sort of a light body but a nice frothy carbonation keeps things crisp and clean.
Drinkability- Absolutely amazing beer. Always been a huge fan of Stone IPA but this is above and beyond awesome. I think this is probably the best IPA I've had since Racer X and I'd even take it over Pliny the Younger. The nose is something that dreams are made of. Corey, we need to hook this up again because one growler wasn't near enough. Thanks man!

4.85/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a beautiful hazed out orangish hue that held to the light appears lemon colored, A pillowy white head leaves sheets of lacing.

DANK citrus like piney perfume that leaves one with a wanting of MORE. The chinook hop is the allure hear.Christ I think I am high from smelling this elixer.

GRAPEFRUIT CREAMCICLE for sure, WOW this brew carries the hop well. Balanced with a nice dose of base malt this brew screams I AM BETTER THAN YOU!

CREAMED out grapefruit goodness and a splash of caramel sweet goodness but mostly 2 row WOW.

DRANK DEEP my friend.

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

The beer pours a nice opaque golden orange color with a nice 2 finger white head, excellent retention and lacing. The aroma is fierce and huge with an in your face assault of hops, it's beautiful. Citrus and pine and floral and extremely hop forward, to the point that the base malt isn't even in the picture. May be the best aroma I've ever experienced. Terrific. The flavor follows suit though presents the malt base in a more prominent fashion. A biscuit cereal grain flavor as the base from which the hops grow and dominate, actually fairly well balanced and approachable, extremely enjoyable. The hop flavors are outstanding. Extremely good. Medium bitter. The beer finishes with a light 2-row malt flavor and huge hop character. Overall, this is hop-forward and aggressive and excellent. Highly recommended.

4.78/5  rDev +11.2%

Wow. This might be one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Got a growler of this last week. Cracked it open today.

Pours a perfect clear golden color with a very nice sticky white head with nice lacing down the glass.

Aroma is tons of hops. Citrus, pine grapefruit hops. Smells awesome.

Taste is awesome. Very hoppy but alot of hop flavor too. Not just bitter. It got slightly oxidized in the growler after a week but I won't dock it for that. Not the best IPA I've ever had (Younger gets that award) but maybe 2nd best. I wish I could get this often.

Mouthfeel is nice and carbed. Little lighter than the tap version I would imagin but not bad for the growler.

Overall an amazing IPA. Good thing km only sharing this growler with 1 other person.

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

4.75/5  rDev +10.5%

Insanely good beer. Made the two hour trip from Anderson to Columbia to make sure I could grab a couple growlers of this while it was still on! Served cold and opened for lunch of Superbowl Sunday!

The pour was crystal clear and a near spot on amber color. Nice two finger head of white rises up gently and settles down just as nice into a small, broken crown across the top of the glass. Light side glass lacing then protrudes. Aroma is what dreams are made up. Such fresh, sticky, citrus hop goodness, it was a wet dream for me. Fresh and bright, huge and sticky, not many words needed to describe it. First sip is clean, fresh, dripping with citrus hop goodness. Fresh grapefruit and ripe orange just ripping through this one. Crisp, clean and super fresh taste. I literally was melting in my chair.

Overall one of the best tasting, if not the freshing and crispest tasting IPA's I have ever, ever run across.

Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped) from Stone Brewing Co.