Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped)
No picture uploaded.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 12-26-2006)
2.6/5  rDev -39.5%

I love me some hops, but this beer was about as unbalanced hop-heavy beer that I have had.

The beer looks good. Nice pale color. Good lacing. Visible effervescence.

The smell is spot on. Good clean hop aroma that does not quit.

The taste was quite a disappointment. It was like drinking sparkling water while chewing on hop pellets. I tasted nothing but hops. This was far more intense than even Ruination, which I happen to enjoy.

Mouthfeel was good, but basically moot after the overwhelming hop blast.

This beer was not the most undrinkable beer that I have had, but I wont be ordering it again.

I suppose if you are a daily "hop bomb" drinker and you have blasted your taste buds with more Alpha acid in the last week than any Bud light drinker has in their whole life, this might be a good beer to drink. As for me, I try to limit my hop forward beer intake so I do not experience the diminishing returns of hop perception. Please do not mistake me for a first time IPA drinker. I have had Sculpin and Pure Hoppiness and Nelson - all of which I love.

3.48/5  rDev -19.1%

Stone IPA Double Dry Hopped on tap at Alewife in Baltimore, MD, served in a 12-oz specialty glass.

Appearance: Topaz color, cloudy with some transparency. No lacing, decent head.

Smell: Citrus (orange). Oak and wood.

Taste: Upfront bitterness, an enormous amount of juicy hops. Fairly one-dimensional. Overly dry.

Mouthfeel: High carbonation, full body. Incredibly and eventually unpleasantly dry.

Drinkability: One and that's it. Dry hopping the regular Stone IPA adds a nice, interesting touch to a good-but-somewhat-uninteresting beer. However, this is not something I would want to drink often. Dry, pungent and uneasy.

3.5/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured into a tall pint glass on draft at the ColLAboration event in Hollywood.

A: Lovely light amber color, cloudy texture with a nice frothy head with great retention and nice lacing.

S: I think something was a bit off here, it was a little fish like. I have to say I was a bit taken off guard by this. The usual aromas were in line, citrus, notably grapefruit, LOTS of hops and some piney notes. Kinda yeasty and bready too.

T: The taste followed the aroma. Great hop flavor, nice citrus and juniper notes to balance the bitter hops. But there was that fish taste. I've never experienced anything like it, something was afoot, it wasn't as bad as the scent, but it wasn't enjoyable.

M: Nice in the mouth, full bodied, smooth and crisp.

O: I hope that it was just something wrong with my pour, the keg at the garden or my glass, because I typically love Stone, especially their IPAs (Ruination is out of this world.) I'm going to leave this review a bit open ended for now, and will likely re-review at a later date to verify.

3.53/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Scored at brewery one week ago.

Nice honey amber ale wit ha couple fingers of soapy white foam and gauzy lace. Excellent clarity. Nose is grapefruit, peppercorn, honey, pine, a hint of mango and some resin. Flavor is nice and bitter with a solid biscuit malt profile and some nice resiny flavors. There is a bit of tangerine and pine in here as well. Medium bodied with moderate carb and a wet, yet cloying finish. Nice beer.

3.6/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a glowing orange color with good carbonation and a nice white head

S: Some grapefruit and orange peel

T: Sordove mute. Perhaps my expectations were too high. I love the Stone IPA but this one seemed even less on the hop pop for me. It did have some caramel, grapefruit, orange peel

M: Light hops, not much booze.

D; Good

3.63/5  rDev -15.6%

Growler shared by tlay10.

Pale gold and fairly cloudy, with haze obscuring everything behind to shadows. Whispy white lace remains but doesn't build to a head.

Dank! Absolutely tons of sticky weed in the nose. There’s also a bunch of grass and lemon peel, making this aroma incredibly dense, sticky nose. Honey and a small amount of crackers round it out.

Flavor is much maltier than expected. Lightly cooked biscuits, like dumplings in a soup. Behind everything is an unsettling muskiness, like musty old crackers or bread. I get none of the bright hops from the nose here, though there is some bitter grapefruit.

Very light, tingly carbonation in a big, smooth medium body. Not too bitter.

Having thoroughly enjoyed this beer on tap, I’m thrown off by this. The aroma is just as fantastic as I remember, but that weird musk isn’t.

3.7/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A-Pours a rather dark copper. Nearly zero head. Nearly zero lacing.

S-Aroma is far more muted than I was expecting. Its decently dank but it doesn't give me the bright citrus I get from normal Stone IPA. It almost seems to be past its prime in the nose. Sweeter than expected too.

T-The flavors depict a similar outcome here, too. Piney, hempy, grapefruity but not as brutish as I was expecting. Its surprisingly somewhat balanced. However, the bitterness does set in quickly and blindfolds the palate a bit. Its almost bitterness without any flavorful expression behind it.

M-Drinks fine.

O/D-Disappointed. This keg could be waning in freshness. If not, then I will take the un-tinkered-with classic Stone IPA over this any day, every day. I do want to come back to this again someday ti double-check and see if my first experience wasn't fresh.

3.75/5  rDev -12.8%

Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped) from Stone Brewing Co.