Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped)
No picture uploaded.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 12-26-2006)
HopHead84

4.18/5  rDev -3%

4/16/2010

1L growler filled today. Poured into my Moonlight pint glass. The beer is vibrant orange with a voluminous three finger soapy white head. Retention is outstanding, and wicked lacing is left everywhere when it recedes.

The hop profile in the aroma is primarily orange and grapefruit with a faint whisper of pine. There's a light floral presence, and the malt foundation is faint. Just a touch of sweetness is evident.

The flavor opens with moderate bitterness, and a generous dose of citrus, in the form of orange pith and unripe grapefruit, suffuses the palate. The malt is faint and crackery. The finish is dry and bitter with lingering citrus notes.

Carbonation is at an upper moderate level. The mouthfeel is dry and sticky. I just realized I rarely drink single IPAs anymore, so it's fitting that this seems somewhat tame compared to the usual hop and alcohol monsters (gremlins, if you prefer) with which I consort. That being said, this is immensely drinkable and very enjoyable. I'd have no qualms about putting down a few growlers of this at...oh, say 8 AM on a Thursday morning, in the name of advocacy. It's the cross that I bear. Quite a sessionABLE IPA.

04-17-2010 00:53:46 | More by HopHead84
AgentZero

3.95/5  rDev -8.4%

A - Pale straw yellow, somewhat hazy, not a whole lot of head on this.

S - For something that said "double" dry hopped, was expecting more hops. A lot more subdued than anticipated. Very grapefruity, nicely citrus, but was assuming there would be a more distince aroma to this.

T - Big citrus notes with some earthy undertones. Slight bit of orange/lemon tang, pine on the end with a touch of bitter resin.

M - Medium bodied with a somewhat gritty feel on the end. Nice carbonation bite.

D - Most IPAs seem to get easier as you go, this one got harder, became more and more bitter. Drank it over a fairly long period of time, maybe it just gets that way as it warms up, but not super drinkable.

04-06-2010 00:32:15 | More by AgentZero
jrallen34

I drank this on tap into a pint glass at the Map Room.

The beer is a slightly clear light honey gold with only a light white head that doesn't rise more than half a finger. It fades quickly leaving a light sopay head that has good retentino. Poor lacing and lackluster presentation.

The aroma is much lighter than I was expecting, as knowing stone I was expecting an explosion of hops in both the aroma and taste. It stats off with some light grapefruit and finishes with light fresh hops. It really reminds me of PtE.

Taste is just like the aroma, starts off the grapefruit but then really just explodes in piney bitterness. There are intense fresh greeny hops and finishes with some pine.

Surprisingly, this gets more bitter as you drink, the opposite of most ipa's.

The feel is medium, and finishes with a very grainy mouthfeel.

The drinkability is hurt by the bitterness. I drank a glass easily but I can't imainge going back for seconds on this.

Overall, this was pretty good. Its very hoppy, a hop heads dream, but subdued enough to be pretty drinkable.

04-05-2010 01:34:02 | More by jrallen34
samie85

4.05/5  rDev -6%

Had this on-tap at the Twisted Spoke Stone launch yesterday, 4/01/10. Reviewed from notes.

A- Pours a light, reddish amber with a light tan head.

S-Piney, orange and grapefruit hop notes with no discernible malt notes.

T-Orange and grapefruit bitterness with a spicy herbal, piney finish. The finish was interesting for me.

M-It's medium bodied with decent amount of carbonation.

D-Really quaffable and nice on a hot day like we had yesterday. Did it blow the regular version out of the water? No, but it is a really solid IPA.

04-03-2010 03:28:56 | More by samie85
Sean9689

4.15/5  rDev -3.7%

On-tap at the Twisted Spoke for the Stone Chicago Release celebration. Poured into a plastic cup (argh).

A - Pours a slight mirky golden color, white head that disipiates down to almost nothing, maybe a very thin cap on top.

S - Not quite as hoppy as I expected although I'm not saying there isn't a ton of hoppy aroma, just not so strong. Slight grapefruit, citrus.

T - Citrus, clean bitter notes, lemon peel, slight orange as well.

M - Light bodied, clean, refreshing, light carbonation.

D - Very easy to drink and a very good West Coast IPA. It didn't quite blow me away like I was expecting, but it was good.

04-02-2010 19:50:36 | More by Sean9689
Brewsmith

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Growler fill from Stone on 3/13/10. I already love the regular Stone IPA, and the Double Dry Hopped is even more fantastic. A deep gold color with a nice white head, and a killer pine/citrus note. Hoppy and bitter with a malt backbone without being sweet. A dry finish and if it were not for it's ABV, totally sessionable. It has the aroma of a Double IPA without the strength. Well done.

03-17-2010 05:48:19 | More by Brewsmith
mjl21

On tap at the Toronado. Poured into a pint glass. No abv info is given.

A-It is lighter than most IPAs. It is a clear golden amber with a nice 1.5 finger head that collapses down to a nice foamy layer. Lots of lace is left in between sips.

S-Citrus, mainly grapefruit, along with some pine are the dominant aromas. I found it to be more subtle than I was expecting from a double dry hopped beer.

T-It has a lot of bitterness. It starts with plenty of grapefruit flavor mixed with some lemon and orange. There is also some earthy hop flavor. The lemon flavor becomes more pronounced towards the final sips. The aftertaste is a combination of grapefruit and earth hops.

M-Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, bitter, and dry.

D-A decent IPA. I felt the earthy flavors made it taste a little rough around the edges.

I actually prefer the original version. I enjoyed the bitter character of the beer but the earthy flavors took away some of its nice citric qualities.

03-09-2010 00:51:42 | More by mjl21
nectar14

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

On tap at Toronado SD.

A: 1 finger head atop dark gold, clear beer. Looks nice.

S: Turn the volume up on the regular IPA, add some more pine. That's what you got here.

T: Hmmm... like their regular IPA, but better. More complexity. Somehow, more balanced.

M: Prickly and bitter. Carbonation rushes those hop aromas right up yer nose.

D: Went very well with the burger I was having. Pretty easy to drink, not too boozy.

03-07-2010 14:49:45 | More by nectar14
drabmuh

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%

Back story: Stone IPA (regular) was my introduction to craft beer. I've always loved Stone and for years I would describe it as my favorite beer. When I heard about Stone double dry hopped IPA, I figured I would never get it. Then I set up an in person trade with BS68280 at the Sexual Chocolate release day for a growler. I couldn't make it out of DC due to three feet of snow but BS68280 still sent me the growler, along with a couple of other great gems. Awesome guy...now to the beer.

Poured from a growler into a Stone IPA tulip glass, I had to....Aggressive head, but this may be due to the pour from the growler. It falls away into an amorphous white head of medium and large bubbles and leaves a TON of lacing on the glass. Beer is dark yellow and has a slight haze to it. Carbonation is steady but low. Looks like it survived the trip and the growler. AWESOME!

HOLY HOPS! Yes....this is the way an IPA should smell. Strong pine hop aroma followed up by a nice citrus supporting cast. It smells slightly sweet but my olfactory nerve is shorted out by the aggressive in your face hop smell. I don't even think I have to taste it, just keep smelling.

Beer is medium to light in body, nice bitterness and finishes cleanly. Beer is slightly sweet with nice citrus and fruity flavors in the midpalate region as well as some pine. Second taste, seemed to have a bigger body that time than the first. Not a lot of carbonation in the mouth but its still really good. The hop resin kind of coats my teeth and the bitterness is building. One of my favorite IPAs.

64 ounces later, still going strong. I love this beer.

02-26-2010 01:50:11 | More by drabmuh
Lunch

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Served from a 64oz. growler acquired in a trade with kkipple at the Sexual Chocolate release in North Carolina (Thanks man!) into both my Stone Ruination Mug and Stone Levitation tulip at the appropriate temperature (02/12/10).

A: Pours a rather clear shade of a lighter, golden, amber with a slight orange hue capped with 3 fingers of a creamy/frothy off-white head.

S: Potent and intense aroma of bitter hops with robust citrus tones and a slight biscuity character. The double dry hoping has certainly made its impact.

T: Intense flavors of citrus with layers of grapefruit, orange zest, marmalade, lemon zest, pine, and some slight herbal notes. The biscuity character from the aroma is more pronounced in the taste and had a nice dimension as malt is virtually nowhere to be found. Great tasting west coast IPA.

M: Mouthfeel is quite nice and medium-bodied. Well carbonated, but no overly done along with some creaminess and slickness. Bitterness is there, but not nearly what I expected.

D: We will just say that I had no problem finishing my fare share of this growler.

This was another exceptional beer from Stone and certain one that is worthy of its score. A wonderful take on their "regular" IPA and certainly one to be enjoyed by any fan of hops. Thanks again Dan! Recommended

02-15-2010 20:22:51 | More by Lunch
Overlord

4.1/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a light gold, maybe a hint of orange. Kind of surprising. I guess I was expecting more of a double IPA color.

Smells like big time piney bitterness, some citrus, but it's more of a general citrus than specific fruits I can put a name to. Maybe a tad ... of no, on second thought no floral notes.

Tastes like pine, citrus, maybe some identifiable grapefruit, and basically no malt. The aroma is better than the flavor, as what comes across as sharp and biting to the nose is a bit screed-ish and one-note to the palate.

I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the base beer for this.

02-15-2010 03:12:25 | More by Overlord
MikeSr619

Got a growler of this at Stone a few weeks ago when it was on special and immediately told 2 of my buddies to come over and try this nectar with me.

When we cracked it and started pouring it you could immediately smell the hoppiness just coming off the beer as it hit the glass. And as we smelled it right before drinking it everyone smiled and knew they were in for a treat.

That growler lasted less then an hour...

02-11-2010 20:44:33 | More by MikeSr619
ffejherb

4.03/5  rDev -6.5%

Thanks to Deuane for sharing a growler on 2/8/10.

A - Poured a pale golden body with moderate carbonation and a frothy white head that diminished to a patchy film but yielded plenty of thick lacing around the glass.

S - Pungent waft of hops all converging together into an almost superhop. I'm picking up on dry, leafy hops as well as citrus and herbal notes. There is also a hint of catbox in the background (Amarillo hops, perhaps). Aside from the intense hop character, there is also a slight alcohol presence.

T - Hop bitterness simply lambastes the palate with an assault of citrus tang and leafy, herbal notes, the latter of which suggests an apparent dry hopped character. However, I feel that the dry hopping hinders the citrus quality a bit, turning this otherwise West Coast IPA into a leafy, herbal and earthy monster.

M - Medium bodied with an oily texture and bristly carbonation. Finishes with plenty of dry, lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - Nice dry hopped version of Stone's fantastic IPA, although I think I prefer the standard version on tap. Still, this was an intense hoppy beer that was indeed quite tasty.

02-10-2010 20:29:48 | More by ffejherb
Thorpe429

4.68/5  rDev +8.6%

Thanks to BS68280 for sharing this and other good times throughout the long wait in line at Sexual Chocolate Day 2010.

Poured a light golden color with some orange-ish hues and a nice white head. The smell is simply fantastic, loaded with fresh hops with unbelievable floral and citrus notes. The taste was quite the same with a tiny bit of pale malt backing it up. The mouthfeel was very nice--medium-bodied with a crisp dryness from all those splendid hops. Phenomenal drinkability.

02-10-2010 14:37:39 | More by Thorpe429
Deuane

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to kkipple for hooking me up with a growler of this west coast nectar!

A-Brilliant, clear golden copper with a medium off-white head that reduced to a thin cap and left nice lace.

S-Fresh floral hop pop with lemon zing and minor pine notes as well. Sweet biscuit malt notes are a minimum.

T-So....Simcoe hops, I thought Amarillo but Simcoe is close...a touch of cat box, lemon zest and pine. Biscuit malt sweetness is an afterthought and kept at a minimum.

M-Medium light bodied, dry and crisp. Good lingering bitterness that melds into a spicy kick the more you drink.

D-BAM! Take an already solid IPA and then ramp it up with not one but two rounds of dry hopping! My kind of IPA, light, dry and sharp....so freakin' easy to drink. An absolute winner from Greg and the Stone crew!

02-09-2010 03:36:21 | More by Deuane
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

Insanely good beer. Made the two hour trip from Anderson to Columbia to make sure I could grab a couple growlers of this while it was still on! Served cold and opened for lunch of Superbowl Sunday!

The pour was crystal clear and a near spot on amber color. Nice two finger head of white rises up gently and settles down just as nice into a small, broken crown across the top of the glass. Light side glass lacing then protrudes. Aroma is what dreams are made up. Such fresh, sticky, citrus hop goodness, it was a wet dream for me. Fresh and bright, huge and sticky, not many words needed to describe it. First sip is clean, fresh, dripping with citrus hop goodness. Fresh grapefruit and ripe orange just ripping through this one. Crisp, clean and super fresh taste. I literally was melting in my chair.

Overall one of the best tasting, if not the freshing and crispest tasting IPA's I have ever, ever run across.

02-07-2010 18:36:52 | More by mikesgroove
womencantsail

4.53/5  rDev +5.1%

On-tap at Stone this weekend. I love their IPA as it is, so this one is a must try.

A: Much like the "regular" Stone IPA, the pour is a golden straw color with a small amount of white foam.

S: As if the regular version wasn't "dank" enough, this one really kicks it up. The aromas are incredibly strong grapefruit, lemon, and pine with almost no malt.

T: A real kick of bitterness from the pine and grapefruit flavors is the first thing I notice. There are actually some nice tropical fruit flavors as well, such as pineapple, which I wasn't expecting.

M: This is a very crisp beer with a dry finish and some lingering bitterness.

D: Taste-wise, this is very, very similar to the original version. There are a few differences, but not much. The thing that really gets you hooked is the insane aroma. Wonderful use of dry-hopping.

01-04-2010 18:28:53 | More by womencantsail
wd40

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

Hazy bright orange and yellow brew poured into a tulip glass at the Stone Brewery. Amazing aroma, smells like lemon with pine and grapefruit. The taste is bitter up front with a nice warming dry finish that cuts the bitterness and allows for increased drinkability. The beer poured a fantastic frothy head. The carbonation was good but not as soft and frothy as the foamy appearance initially suggested. Excellent beer reminiscent of Pliny the Elder. Highly recommended.

01-01-2010 07:22:40 | More by wd40
Beerandraiderfan

Nevada

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Probably one of my favorite, if not the favorite casked ales. I think I had this at both Hopfest and the Bistro IPA fest.

Dry hopping sets the casks apart in my mind. too often they are dominated by the kind of wood used in the cask. This one was just right. Looked nice and hazy golden, taste was just fantastic. Crisp dry hopping mixes with the wood very nice on this one. Kind of hurts, makes the regular ipa seem pedestrian, this one comes off more complex.

Stone seems to be my favorite brewery casks, but boy are they rare to find.

11-28-2009 00:28:52 | More by Beerandraiderfan
largadeer

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

1L growler hauled back from San Diego by bring, thanks Barry.

Appearance: Golden-orange with perfect clarity and a finger of head. Retention is solid.

Smell: Big centennial/simcoe aroma of grapefruit, orange, cut grass and wildflowers. Malt? Not really, maybe a hint of sweetness. The extra round of dry hopping did wonders to an already very aromatic beer.

Taste/mouthfeel: A little sweeter than the nose led me to believe, with mango-like tropical fruit sweetness supporting the citrusy, floral hop flavors. Light bodied, crisp, and refreshing with a dry, mildly bitter finish. For my palate, this could use a touch more bitterness, but it's excellent all the same.

09-02-2009 18:29:33 | More by largadeer
MasterSki

Ontario (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%

Big thanks to khiasmus for sending a growler of this my way. Served in my Surly pint glass.

A - Big three fingers of light blonde foam that dissipates slowly to a thick cap and leaves plenty of attractive lacing. Slightly hazed pale golden yellow peach color. If it were a touch darker and more intense in color it'd be perfect.

S - Super hoppy and dank - lots of Columbus and maybe a touch of Simcoe in there - with tons of lemon, bitter grapefruit, and pine flavors as well. I can barely smell any malt in this one - reminds me a lot of the MTH Columbus Pale Ale a little bit - there's just a touch of candy sugar sweetness.

T - Big hop bitterness in this one although there's some light citrus and candy sweetness in the finish. This is just one ridiculously hoppy brew and actually verges on unbalanced for an IPA. There's a good amount of bitterness in the aftertaste, but it dissipates surprisingly quickly.

M - Light thinner body, uber-dry finish, lower carbonation with only a slight tingle. It could use a little more body for a 6.9% brew.

D - This is even more drinkable than the Columbus Pale Ale as it doesn't destroy my taste buds. Everything else screams super-drinkable - it's like chugging hop-flavored water!

08-30-2009 21:26:59 | More by MasterSki
Gyle41386

South Carolina

4.47/5  rDev +3.7%

Growler from a rare keg tapping at the Piney Grove Green's in Columbia, SC.

Very attractive pour. Really nice golden-orange color, with two fingers of plush, rich foam. Head retains very well, well enough that rather than keep waiting for it to recede so I could pour more, I decided to just drink it already. Leaves behind thick sheets of lacing. Perfect appearance.

Really nice hop aroma. The mixture of fruity hops almost smells tropical...grapefruit, lemon, pineapple. Pine in the back.

Taste follows the aroma. Loads and loads of hops. That said, the malt backbone is more noticeable than it was in the aroma. Big time citrus, with a piney bite at the end. Love it.

This is a super easy drinker. It's crisp and refreshing, and it's as sessionable as anything I've had from Stone, outside of Levitation. Body is a little thinner than I was expecting, but that's practically the only knock I can make against this beer.

08-30-2009 21:14:38 | More by Gyle41386
dukedevil0

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

Thanks to Alex (MasterSki) for busting out this 64oz growler at New Beer Sunday vHoppy Edition.

A: Pours a hazy orangish yellow color with a nice two finger frothy white colored head that laces the glass as it settles down.

S: Scents of grapefruit, sweet hops, citrus, pine...lots of intense smells

T: Very similar to the smell - super intense, hoppy, dankness - grapefruit, hops, citrus, pine...a caramel malt tries to balance it out after the hops go down the throat but there isn't a whole lot of bite from the malt so I'm happy.

M: A little on the thin side, but only because the flavor makes this taste like a DIPA to me so I'm expecting a thicker mouthfeel. In IPA standards it's pretty close to style.

D: The flavor is super intense and this feels like a big beer to me even though it's only listed at 6.9% abv. It'd would be bruising to the palate to drink a ton of this, but I'd certainly try.

08-30-2009 20:58:18 | More by dukedevil0
PatronWizard

4.28/5  rDev -0.7%

Shared with acute comic timing by the extra stout Mauerhan.

As you pour, you realize that this beer glows. It fucking glows man! Thin creamy head.

Smells so damn fresh. Like I just cut the lawn and rolled in it. And the lawn was made of sensimilla. Full of morning dew.

Tastes good. More crisp than the regular IPA. Damn refreshing, whether it's the "double dry hopping" or the freshness of the growler. Big citrus bite. Oranges even. Pine. Grapefruit. Tasty ass beverage.

Medium bodied, seems so crisp in its deliciousness.

Overall: yeah baby!

08-29-2009 19:40:33 | More by PatronWizard
nickd717

4.43/5  rDev +2.8%

Growler shared by bring. Wow, this is great stuff. The "other site," as of now, lists this as an alias for Stone IPA. This is not correct. Stone IPA this is not - it's a different, awesome animal.

A - Nice bright clear golden color with a medium white head.

S - Hop explosion. Really fresh and floral, with some citrus and pine notes as well.

T - Citrus and pine hops - simcoe I'm told, which is one of my favorites. Very grapefruity. Some pale and caramel malt as well.

M - Dry and crisp on the palate, and somewhat light-bodied, which is good for those who don't like their IPAs too syrupy (I'm on the fence here).

D - Really, really drinkable. It's just so damn tasty that you keep lifting it to your mouth...and like that, it's gone...sort of like Keyser Soze.

08-24-2009 06:08:16 | More by nickd717
Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped) from Stone Brewing Co.