Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped) - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped)
No picture.

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 12-26-2006

Ratings: 282 | Reviews: 104
4.32/5  rDev +0.5%

On tap at Capone's yesterday.

The beer pours a golden honey orange color with good head retention and decent lacing. On the nose, this is a very attractive, aromatic IPA, showing plenty of orange citrus, tobacco and pepper. On the palate, this is all West Coast IPA hoppy goodness, with the beer showing considerable pepper, dank earth, light orange citrus and a touch of pine. The modest sweetness I initially detect in this beer is quickly shoved aside by an avalanche of hoppy bitterness. The latter makes for a very dry and attractive finish and enchances the beer's drinkability. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with ample carbonation. The latter seems to add to the prickliness on the palate one gets from the hoppy bitterness. Drinkability is good, with the acohol well disguised and integrated perfectly into the flavor profile.

An impressive IPA, especially if you're a hop head.

4.35/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap at Capone's yesterday

Hazy orange with a dense white head with good retention and excellent lacing. A very pretty beer. The nose is fantastic with a lot of tropical fruit. My notes tell me that I'm in IPA heaven. Plenty of citrus is present, this is also a little green and grassy. Better than the regular Stone IPA IMO.

The palate opens plenty green and grassy with a HUGE tropical fruit character. Behind it is a light green, grassy character. Bitter orange, grapefruit and citrus peel dominate. This beer is light in body and the citrus bouquet is excellent. Orange and tangerines, along with some papaya and mango. Drying on the finish with a lingering hop bitterness and some hop flavor, this is DRY. Excellent stuff.

Side by side with Sculpin, it tasted almost as good, but clearly did not smell as good. Still, a fantastic beer, one that I'm glad I got to try.

3.91/5  rDev -9.1%

@ Capone's into a standard pint glass.
Poured a a cloudy lemon yellow with a smallish one-finger white head which lasted throughout. The lacing on this beer was exceptional, leaving a thick set of rings that marked each sip. The nose presents citrus and some pine, but warns of heavy hops - hop-timid stay away! Tastes starts with some bitterness, follows with a tinge of orange, grapefruit, lemon and pine. Mouthfeel is medium with some edge/graininess from the very healthy carbonation, etc. I wouldn't call this a balanced IPA, but I enjoyed it very much and I would seek it out again. Does Stone make ANYTHING that isn't good?

4.45/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this one with my sirloin at Ebenezer's in Lovell Maine on Friday. Menu says "Self Explanator and we got lucky to land this one"...

Appearance: Pours honey with a dash of orange. The crown is 2 fingers of white, displaying moderate retentin and medium lacing.

Smell: Loads of amarillo hops, plus grapefruit citrus notes and a dash of pine sap.

Taste: Same as nose.

Mouthfeel: On the thin side of medium odied with good carbonation.

Drinkability: Solid.

2.7/5  rDev -37.2%

I love me some hops, but this beer was about as unbalanced hop-heavy beer that I have had.

The beer looks good. Nice pale color. Good lacing. Visible effervescence.

The smell is spot on. Good clean hop aroma that does not quit.

The taste was quite a disappointment. It was like drinking sparkling water while chewing on hop pellets. I tasted nothing but hops. This was far more intense than even Ruination, which I happen to enjoy.

Mouthfeel was good, but basically moot after the overwhelming hop blast.

This beer was not the most undrinkable beer that I have had, but I wont be ordering it again.

I suppose if you are a daily "hop bomb" drinker and you have blasted your taste buds with more Alpha acid in the last week than any Bud light drinker has in their whole life, this might be a good beer to drink. As for me, I try to limit my hop forward beer intake so I do not experience the diminishing returns of hop perception. Please do not mistake me for a first time IPA drinker. I have had Sculpin and Pure Hoppiness and Nelson - all of which I love.

4.56/5  rDev +6%

Reviewed from my notes. Served in my small Lion's Pride goblet as part of their first annual hop fest. The beer has a big white foam head that leaves lots of lace. It has a slightly translucent appearance with a golden yellow color. There is some carbonation rising within the glass. It looks perfect. There is a big fresh hop aroma, with some citrus notes. It has a clean hoppy taste. It isn't very bitter. I find it to be very balanced and nuanced. There is a great lingering hop flavor. This is an all-around great IPA. The mouthfeel is especially impressive. The coating is not very prominent, but it is certianly there. It's not very sticky, which I like. There is a medium level of carbonation; enough to feel but not distracting. This beer is incredibly drinkable. It goes down very easy and is quite refreshing. I could drink this one brew all night. Definitely worth seeking out.

4.33/5  rDev +0.7%

This is from the notes I took from the Lion's Pride in Brunswick Maine today. This was on tap today what a great beer.

Poured into a chalice nice head pretty body looks fantastic.

S - nice kind of typical west coast but not bad at all.

T - fantastic loved it the double dry hop makes this one special.

M - Not bad a nice feel leaves a sweet taste maybe if not with dinner a bit different.

D - Would love to have this any time it is nice so glad to finally try may have to have again before it's gone.

4.87/5  rDev +13.3%

Received this brew from PeprSprYoFace after months of waiting for this beauty to come on tap. I'm a big fan of Stone IPA and I can only imagine how much better this beer can get with a couple rounds of dry hopping. Drank from a nice generic mug at Lake Wausau in Wisconsin.

Appearance- Pours a lightly hazy yellowish with a big beautiful frothy bright white head with excellent staying power. About a half finger cap and collar is maintained the entire beer along with a fair amount of thick lacing.
Smell- SO piney and full spearmint and wintergreen. I don't think I've ever whiffed a so intensely smelling beer. The hop character in the nose is unbelievable. So fresh and fruity. Seriously, if I didn't know better I'd say this brew was made with 100% hops, no malt.
Taste- Wow, definitely the same as the original with a super fresh fruitiness that is unbelievably tasty. Mango's galore with hints of peach and grapefruit. A cracker like maltiness hides in the background and is the perfect base for the fruity goodness to sit upon. The finish is SO citrusy and clean.
Mouthfeel- Sort of a light body but a nice frothy carbonation keeps things crisp and clean.
Drinkability- Absolutely amazing beer. Always been a huge fan of Stone IPA but this is above and beyond awesome. I think this is probably the best IPA I've had since Racer X and I'd even take it over Pliny the Younger. The nose is something that dreams are made of. Corey, we need to hook this up again because one growler wasn't near enough. Thanks man!

4.8/5  rDev +11.6%

Wow. This might be one of the best IPA's I've ever had. Got a growler of this last week. Cracked it open today.

Pours a perfect clear golden color with a very nice sticky white head with nice lacing down the glass.

Aroma is tons of hops. Citrus, pine grapefruit hops. Smells awesome.

Taste is awesome. Very hoppy but alot of hop flavor too. Not just bitter. It got slightly oxidized in the growler after a week but I won't dock it for that. Not the best IPA I've ever had (Younger gets that award) but maybe 2nd best. I wish I could get this often.

Mouthfeel is nice and carbed. Little lighter than the tap version I would imagin but not bad for the growler.

Overall an amazing IPA. Good thing km only sharing this growler with 1 other person.

4.18/5  rDev -2.8%

4/16/2010

1L growler filled today. Poured into my Moonlight pint glass. The beer is vibrant orange with a voluminous three finger soapy white head. Retention is outstanding, and wicked lacing is left everywhere when it recedes.

The hop profile in the aroma is primarily orange and grapefruit with a faint whisper of pine. There's a light floral presence, and the malt foundation is faint. Just a touch of sweetness is evident.

The flavor opens with moderate bitterness, and a generous dose of citrus, in the form of orange pith and unripe grapefruit, suffuses the palate. The malt is faint and crackery. The finish is dry and bitter with lingering citrus notes.

Carbonation is at an upper moderate level. The mouthfeel is dry and sticky. I just realized I rarely drink single IPAs anymore, so it's fitting that this seems somewhat tame compared to the usual hop and alcohol monsters (gremlins, if you prefer) with which I consort. That being said, this is immensely drinkable and very enjoyable. I'd have no qualms about putting down a few growlers of this at...oh, say 8 AM on a Thursday morning, in the name of advocacy. It's the cross that I bear. Quite a sessionABLE IPA.

3.95/5  rDev -8.1%

A - Pale straw yellow, somewhat hazy, not a whole lot of head on this.

S - For something that said "double" dry hopped, was expecting more hops. A lot more subdued than anticipated. Very grapefruity, nicely citrus, but was assuming there would be a more distince aroma to this.

T - Big citrus notes with some earthy undertones. Slight bit of orange/lemon tang, pine on the end with a touch of bitter resin.

M - Medium bodied with a somewhat gritty feel on the end. Nice carbonation bite.

D - Most IPAs seem to get easier as you go, this one got harder, became more and more bitter. Drank it over a fairly long period of time, maybe it just gets that way as it warms up, but not super drinkable.

4.02/5  rDev -6.5%

I drank this on tap into a pint glass at the Map Room.

The beer is a slightly clear light honey gold with only a light white head that doesn't rise more than half a finger. It fades quickly leaving a light sopay head that has good retentino. Poor lacing and lackluster presentation.

The aroma is much lighter than I was expecting, as knowing stone I was expecting an explosion of hops in both the aroma and taste. It stats off with some light grapefruit and finishes with light fresh hops. It really reminds me of PtE.

Taste is just like the aroma, starts off the grapefruit but then really just explodes in piney bitterness. There are intense fresh greeny hops and finishes with some pine.

Surprisingly, this gets more bitter as you drink, the opposite of most ipa's.

The feel is medium, and finishes with a very grainy mouthfeel.

The drinkability is hurt by the bitterness. I drank a glass easily but I can't imainge going back for seconds on this.

Overall, this was pretty good. Its very hoppy, a hop heads dream, but subdued enough to be pretty drinkable.

4.05/5  rDev -5.8%

Had this on-tap at the Twisted Spoke Stone launch yesterday, 4/01/10. Reviewed from notes.

A- Pours a light, reddish amber with a light tan head.

S-Piney, orange and grapefruit hop notes with no discernible malt notes.

T-Orange and grapefruit bitterness with a spicy herbal, piney finish. The finish was interesting for me.

M-It's medium bodied with decent amount of carbonation.

D-Really quaffable and nice on a hot day like we had yesterday. Did it blow the regular version out of the water? No, but it is a really solid IPA.

4.15/5  rDev -3.5%

On-tap at the Twisted Spoke for the Stone Chicago Release celebration. Poured into a plastic cup (argh).

A - Pours a slight mirky golden color, white head that disipiates down to almost nothing, maybe a very thin cap on top.

S - Not quite as hoppy as I expected although I'm not saying there isn't a ton of hoppy aroma, just not so strong. Slight grapefruit, citrus.

T - Citrus, clean bitter notes, lemon peel, slight orange as well.

M - Light bodied, clean, refreshing, light carbonation.

D - Very easy to drink and a very good West Coast IPA. It didn't quite blow me away like I was expecting, but it was good.

4.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler fill from Stone on 3/13/10. I already love the regular Stone IPA, and the Double Dry Hopped is even more fantastic. A deep gold color with a nice white head, and a killer pine/citrus note. Hoppy and bitter with a malt backbone without being sweet. A dry finish and if it were not for it's ABV, totally sessionable. It has the aroma of a Double IPA without the strength. Well done.

On tap at the Toronado. Poured into a pint glass. No abv info is given.

A-It is lighter than most IPAs. It is a clear golden amber with a nice 1.5 finger head that collapses down to a nice foamy layer. Lots of lace is left in between sips.

S-Citrus, mainly grapefruit, along with some pine are the dominant aromas. I found it to be more subtle than I was expecting from a double dry hopped beer.

T-It has a lot of bitterness. It starts with plenty of grapefruit flavor mixed with some lemon and orange. There is also some earthy hop flavor. The lemon flavor becomes more pronounced towards the final sips. The aftertaste is a combination of grapefruit and earth hops.

M-Medium bodied, nicely carbonated, bitter, and dry.

D-A decent IPA. I felt the earthy flavors made it taste a little rough around the edges.

I actually prefer the original version. I enjoyed the bitter character of the beer but the earthy flavors took away some of its nice citric qualities.

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Toronado SD.

A: 1 finger head atop dark gold, clear beer. Looks nice.

S: Turn the volume up on the regular IPA, add some more pine. That's what you got here.

T: Hmmm... like their regular IPA, but better. More complexity. Somehow, more balanced.

M: Prickly and bitter. Carbonation rushes those hop aromas right up yer nose.

D: Went very well with the burger I was having. Pretty easy to drink, not too boozy.

4.4/5  rDev +2.3%

Back story: Stone IPA (regular) was my introduction to craft beer. I've always loved Stone and for years I would describe it as my favorite beer. When I heard about Stone double dry hopped IPA, I figured I would never get it. Then I set up an in person trade with BS68280 at the Sexual Chocolate release day for a growler. I couldn't make it out of DC due to three feet of snow but BS68280 still sent me the growler, along with a couple of other great gems. Awesome guy...now to the beer.

Poured from a growler into a Stone IPA tulip glass, I had to....Aggressive head, but this may be due to the pour from the growler. It falls away into an amorphous white head of medium and large bubbles and leaves a TON of lacing on the glass. Beer is dark yellow and has a slight haze to it. Carbonation is steady but low. Looks like it survived the trip and the growler. AWESOME!

HOLY HOPS! Yes....this is the way an IPA should smell. Strong pine hop aroma followed up by a nice citrus supporting cast. It smells slightly sweet but my olfactory nerve is shorted out by the aggressive in your face hop smell. I don't even think I have to taste it, just keep smelling.

Beer is medium to light in body, nice bitterness and finishes cleanly. Beer is slightly sweet with nice citrus and fruity flavors in the midpalate region as well as some pine. Second taste, seemed to have a bigger body that time than the first. Not a lot of carbonation in the mouth but its still really good. The hop resin kind of coats my teeth and the bitterness is building. One of my favorite IPAs.

64 ounces later, still going strong. I love this beer.

4.5/5  rDev +4.7%

Served from a 64oz. growler acquired in a trade with kkipple at the Sexual Chocolate release in North Carolina (Thanks man!) into both my Stone Ruination Mug and Stone Levitation tulip at the appropriate temperature (02/12/10).

A: Pours a rather clear shade of a lighter, golden, amber with a slight orange hue capped with 3 fingers of a creamy/frothy off-white head.

S: Potent and intense aroma of bitter hops with robust citrus tones and a slight biscuity character. The double dry hoping has certainly made its impact.

T: Intense flavors of citrus with layers of grapefruit, orange zest, marmalade, lemon zest, pine, and some slight herbal notes. The biscuity character from the aroma is more pronounced in the taste and had a nice dimension as malt is virtually nowhere to be found. Great tasting west coast IPA.

M: Mouthfeel is quite nice and medium-bodied. Well carbonated, but no overly done along with some creaminess and slickness. Bitterness is there, but not nearly what I expected.

D: We will just say that I had no problem finishing my fare share of this growler.

This was another exceptional beer from Stone and certain one that is worthy of its score. A wonderful take on their "regular" IPA and certainly one to be enjoyed by any fan of hops. Thanks again Dan! Recommended

4.12/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a light gold, maybe a hint of orange. Kind of surprising. I guess I was expecting more of a double IPA color.

Smells like big time piney bitterness, some citrus, but it's more of a general citrus than specific fruits I can put a name to. Maybe a tad ... of no, on second thought no floral notes.

Tastes like pine, citrus, maybe some identifiable grapefruit, and basically no malt. The aroma is better than the flavor, as what comes across as sharp and biting to the nose is a bit screed-ish and one-note to the palate.

I like it, but I'm not a huge fan of the base beer for this.

Got a growler of this at Stone a few weeks ago when it was on special and immediately told 2 of my buddies to come over and try this nectar with me.

When we cracked it and started pouring it you could immediately smell the hoppiness just coming off the beer as it hit the glass. And as we smelled it right before drinking it everyone smiled and knew they were in for a treat.

That growler lasted less then an hour...

4.03/5  rDev -6.3%

Thanks to Deuane for sharing a growler on 2/8/10.

A - Poured a pale golden body with moderate carbonation and a frothy white head that diminished to a patchy film but yielded plenty of thick lacing around the glass.

S - Pungent waft of hops all converging together into an almost superhop. I'm picking up on dry, leafy hops as well as citrus and herbal notes. There is also a hint of catbox in the background (Amarillo hops, perhaps). Aside from the intense hop character, there is also a slight alcohol presence.

T - Hop bitterness simply lambastes the palate with an assault of citrus tang and leafy, herbal notes, the latter of which suggests an apparent dry hopped character. However, I feel that the dry hopping hinders the citrus quality a bit, turning this otherwise West Coast IPA into a leafy, herbal and earthy monster.

M - Medium bodied with an oily texture and bristly carbonation. Finishes with plenty of dry, lingering bitterness on the palate.

D - Nice dry hopped version of Stone's fantastic IPA, although I think I prefer the standard version on tap. Still, this was an intense hoppy beer that was indeed quite tasty.

4.69/5  rDev +9.1%

Thanks to BS68280 for sharing this and other good times throughout the long wait in line at Sexual Chocolate Day 2010.

Poured a light golden color with some orange-ish hues and a nice white head. The smell is simply fantastic, loaded with fresh hops with unbelievable floral and citrus notes. The taste was quite the same with a tiny bit of pale malt backing it up. The mouthfeel was very nice--medium-bodied with a crisp dryness from all those splendid hops. Phenomenal drinkability.

4.52/5  rDev +5.1%

Big thanks to kkipple for hooking me up with a growler of this west coast nectar!

A-Brilliant, clear golden copper with a medium off-white head that reduced to a thin cap and left nice lace.

S-Fresh floral hop pop with lemon zing and minor pine notes as well. Sweet biscuit malt notes are a minimum.

T-So....Simcoe hops, I thought Amarillo but Simcoe is close...a touch of cat box, lemon zest and pine. Biscuit malt sweetness is an afterthought and kept at a minimum.

M-Medium light bodied, dry and crisp. Good lingering bitterness that melds into a spicy kick the more you drink.

D-BAM! Take an already solid IPA and then ramp it up with not one but two rounds of dry hopping! My kind of IPA, light, dry and sharp....so freakin' easy to drink. An absolute winner from Greg and the Stone crew!

4.74/5  rDev +10.2%

Insanely good beer. Made the two hour trip from Anderson to Columbia to make sure I could grab a couple growlers of this while it was still on! Served cold and opened for lunch of Superbowl Sunday!

The pour was crystal clear and a near spot on amber color. Nice two finger head of white rises up gently and settles down just as nice into a small, broken crown across the top of the glass. Light side glass lacing then protrudes. Aroma is what dreams are made up. Such fresh, sticky, citrus hop goodness, it was a wet dream for me. Fresh and bright, huge and sticky, not many words needed to describe it. First sip is clean, fresh, dripping with citrus hop goodness. Fresh grapefruit and ripe orange just ripping through this one. Crisp, clean and super fresh taste. I literally was melting in my chair.

Overall one of the best tasting, if not the freshing and crispest tasting IPA's I have ever, ever run across.

Stone IPA (Double Dry Hopped) from Stone Brewing Co.