Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2007 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2007Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2007

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  11.26% ABV

(Beer added by: Wildman on 01-25-2007)
Reviews by Ego:
3.63/5  rDev -12.1%

I had this on tap during the Stone "welcome to NJ" party @ Andy's.. and truth be told it was god awful, undrinkable really, and all of us agreed... so now it has some time to settle let's see if it has improved.

eyes...
nice head for a barley, one full finger of slightly off white foam, packed microbubbles layer up nicely, lacing is dead on cling on, kind of a burnt orange/caramel hue, the head retains better than a lot of barley wines. this is very good looking.

nose...
fresh out of the laundry west coast hops, the alcohol lurks beneath but the hops dominate.... but not in an over zealous way, you would almost think you were smelling an IPA... an overly hopped IPA

taste etc...
old crustacean anyone ? this isn't as brutally bitter as that actually. I swear you can't even touch an old crusty for about 5 years. This is not as hoppy as I thought it was going to be and is very smooth. The alcohol content says hello as it warms your bum ass up. This is very easy to drink considering the ABV. The depth of flavor is a bit sparce though compared to other barleywines.. maybe it will develop more as it ages. Though right now as a fresh BW it drinks well. Mostly hops here but not over the top (imo). Once they fade with time I wonder what character this beer will develop.

verdict?
I am going to pick up a couple of more bottles and put some time on them to really judge this offering properly... but the alcohol is well hidden and this beer is well constructed.

3.98/5  rDev -3.6%

Its been a few years since I have had the chance to have an Old Guardian its nice to see the 2007 vintage available in my area.Poures a clear burnt orange-like color with a large craterous head that leaves a nice ring behind.Big balanced aromas juicy,fruity malt almost like holiday season fruit caked soaked with alcohol the alcohol esters really show thru a big resiny hop profile shows thru more and more as it warms.Warming and chewey this almost a meal in itself definently not one to drink quickly,flavors could use some time to meld I think its pretty brash right now sweeter cakey malt flavors dominate upfront along with some dark fruit melding into dry resiny and I measn resiny finish.The alcohol warms the insides as it goes down its very pronounced and really kicks,Iam holding one and will drink it in the fall and see how this puppy ages right now its no holds barred and from Stone thats how I want it to be.

3.93/5  rDev -4.8%

Poured a clear dark orange with a finger and a half of head into a snifter from a 22 ounce bomber. Head dissapates to almost nothing as I wait for it to warm a bit. Gives me time to read the novel on the back of the bottle...the brewer writes well, if about nothing in particular.

The aroma doesnt seem to be the showcase here, and that's clearly evident once I take my first sip. As I swirl and it warms, cherry cheesecake and sweet pastry grace the olfactory nerves. Some caramel and cereal scents pull through. I continue to wonder why I chill big beers. Room temperature or close to it is optimal for this one.

The tenacious assault of bitterness upon the first sip of cool beer gradually eases as the aroma strengthens with warmth. Maybe my palette was obliterated, but the hops dont seem overboard anymore for a barleywine of this size, as noted in some other reviews. The 11.26% is actually hidden fairly well, except in my extremities, which were quite chilly just minutes earlier. Hmmmm...

I refill my snifter with the remains of the warmed bottle with a vigourous pour. Three fingers of beige foamy head take much longer to subside, and leave some modest lacing. Head still doesn't cover the liquid, but doesn't completely clear either.

The mouthfeel is very smooth, syrupy and inviting. It's sweetness makes me pucker and my stomach is being eaten away by the alcohol so I doubt I'd be OK if I had more than one of these.

The best judge of a beer is the way you feel when you've finished it. I feel like I wish I'd bought two.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a light amber, not much head, some lacing. Virtually no carbonation in glass.

Gotta take a big whiff to get the citrusii wine smell. Good once you get it.

Stone hops, barley wine. Can taste the alcohol. Not bad ABV, strong and tasty.

Kinda syrupy. Smooth, but maybe a little thick.

Overall a very nice brew. Maybe not something I would have a lot of due to ABV, but a good changeup. I think this BW is defined by the Stone Hops.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Stone Old Guardian
Limited Early 2007 Release

Purchased @ New Beer Distributors, NYC, NY. $6.00. 22 ounce Stone style bomber. Poured into a Belgian style snifter/tulip kind of thing and after a small initial glass, its clear that this yet more fine brew from Stone, very pleasant to sip right now and clearly with the potential to be aged for a few years. Pours cloudy, dull, orangey amber, with a typical tan head that leaves nice scattered lacing. Nose is all about buttery, malty good ness, with a sneaky undercoating of resiny hopping. Full bodied nectar, with notes of more soft butter, maple, whole wheat nutty toast with a orange marmalade hint. Warming and complex, with those resiny/pine hope notes again subtly in the background and finish. Fine stuff, drink it now or in a year or two…Stone Brewery overrated? Please………

3.1/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured a nice amber color with a strong head that lasted very well and left good lacing. Smell had more grassyness to it than I recall from last years version. There was still some sweet caramel underneath, but I think the malt would come in more with age. Taste was much of the same, maybe slightly better. Grassy, but did have a malt base underneath, which led me to believe that this one should become much better. Fairly high carbonation with a medium body. This one was not as drinkable as most beers I have from Stone. I'll say it again, I think this will develop very nicely, as the 2006 did, but it's not there yet.

3.75/5  rDev -9.2%

4.18/5  rDev +1.2%

64oz Growler poured into a hill farmstead tulip, found at Pearl Street Beverage in Burlington! Huge thanks for them putting this on the Growler bar!

Pours a fairly unfortunate hazy, muddy amber brown wig a small light yellow head that settles quickly. Nose is really malty and rich - caramel and an almost honey and oats note that's really nice.

Taste is simply fantastic, no surprise but age has done this beer a lot of good! Not hot at all, rich and mellow with that honey and oat finish that was on the nose. Light carbonation and a dry finish. Very good beer!

4.05/5  rDev -1.9%

Growler

Stone Brew Co.
Escondido, CA
02-20-2011 Sunday Funday Growler Fills

(Aged 4 years at the brewery)

A murky and cloudy deep copper. Very thin milky brown head with small bubbles. Leaves not so much rings of lacing as sheets of it.

Orange citrus hops, cherries, and lemon in the nose. A sugary caramel sweetness as well.

The bitterness from the hops have faded and what's left is just the essence of citrus hop flavors. These are accompanied by flavors of caramel malts, maple syrup, sweet dates, and old-fashioned donuts. No alcohol heat whatsoever. A fantastic sipper.

Silky yet sticky. Feels like drinking a divine dessert.

As with most decadent desserts, one is most often enough. Even without the slightest hint of alcohol, I don't find myself grabbing for more. (Until around midnight, just like with a rich dessert, and I sneak down to the kitchen for just one more!).

4.28/5  rDev +3.6%

Appears a sunburst amber with deep crimson red edges head forms a bit thin with a light off white beige head lacing is left with each sip pretty thin but even streaks of lacing on my stone pint glass. Aroma zesty spicy floral and piney edged hops deep ripened fruit notes with glazed brown sugar and deep citrus tones, of course deep alcohol notes blended with all of the caramelized sugar notes. Even after a bit of time since the release hops still stand out just a bit more melded into the rest of the flavors coming up on almost a year of cellaring this one is drinking really nice. Sweet waves of malt sugars slight burnt with orange peels and spicy pine hop character leaves a slightly charred burnt brown sugar flavor on the palate ripened tropical fruit notes with white grape and raisin acidity, also strong assertive pine tree resin bitterness with a mellow lasting alcohol cringe. Mouthfeel is full bodied syrupy with viscosity the pure gravity of this brew is all the way detectable carbonation has a slow ample bubbling through the thick body oily resins give added bonus texture from the hops. Alcohol has really waned since the release a much smoother alcohol burn than earlier this year, but I still have layers of hop bitterness that stay with me. Drinkability incredible fresh or aged very aggressive Stone style barleywine even after a 10 months aging this beer has all of the flavor of most fresh barleywines hoppy as hell.

This beer pours a ruby red color with a light tan head that fades slowlt, leaving a decent lacing.

This beer has a very malty sweet aroma. I smell some molasses. It also has a strong hoppy aroma. Piney. The alcohol in present in the aroma as well.

This beer tastes exactly like it smells. Piney hop flavor. There is also a strong caramel malty flavor. The alcohol is present in the flavor. I taste a slight fruity flavor also. Figs I think.

This beer goes down surprisingly smooth. It is full bodied. It leaves a sweet aftertaste. It is perfectly carbonated.

I dount this beer would make the best session beer. It has an aggressive flavor, and the alcohol content is a little high.

Overall: This beer is as good as anything that Stones puts out. It is a good choice, and is definately worth it.

4.13/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: Nice amber color with medium head but some heavy lacing. Some carbonation is present throughout the body.

Smell: Sweet caramel malts and mild hops. Mild alcohol notes present.

Taste: The alcohol notes make themselves known in the finish but mostly the caramel and hops shine through.

Mouthfeel: Nice creamy feel, the mild carbonation is pleasant but not distracting.

Drinkability: If you can get past the minor alcohol notes in the finish this is incredibly drinkable high alcohol content beer. The hops linger nicely on the tongue while the caramel malts provide a strong backbone. I plan on buying a case of this to age. Apparently this beer does great with aging.

4.33/5  rDev +4.8%

Thanks to my rep John for snagging this for me last year!
Pours up the color of orange marmalade/ orange blossom honey. A soapy one finger head stays then breaks down leaving medium lacing. Aroma- buttery caramel with a faint whiff of alcohol, some dried fruit-apricot maybe? Heavy malty aromas are keeping the hops down but they are there.
Mouthfeel- BIG bold barleywine flavor here. Not too sweet but you can tell the backbone is solid malt and the alcohol is present but is not too hot. A froth intensifies the hops and leaves a lingering metallic bitterness right on the back sides of the palate on the finish.
This ale has a thick resinous mouthfeel like a DIPA that just exudes all that is Stone! I do agree with mt5000 about it tasting like a barleywine and then fading towards a DIPA or IIPA. But I enjoyed that. This one was choice!

4.35/5  rDev +5.3%

Got this on-tap at the GA release.

Pours a cloudy copper color with a one-finger cream-colored head. The head dissipates into a wispy layer of bubbles on top and a thin ring around the glass. Lacing is pretty sticky.

Smells good. Sweet malts and alcohol to go along with a mild piney hop aroma.

Tastes similar to how it smells. A big sweet malt taste up front ending with a mild piney hop flavor and bitterness. The alcohol burns just a bit on the way down and gives a nice warming sensation.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a good thickness and the carbonation is just a tad too much. Very smooth but could be smoother.

Drinkability is great. This goes down very easily for a beer with this much alcohol.

Overall this is a very good barleywine but if I had to choose I'd go with the Double Bastard as the Old Guardian seems like a more subdued version of that.

4.1/5  rDev -0.7%

I don't often partake in Barleywines, except around winter when SN Bigfoot is an annual staple. Aside from a few other various offerings that pretty much makes up my barleywine intake. Every year I buy a few and they always linger. They're big, intense offerings that often scare me when I look into my refrigerator. So in that regard, I find them quite easy to age - not drinking it = best way to age, of course.

Old Guardian is one I try every year. So far, it's been until today nearly August for me to sample Stone's 07 offering, and to be honest, I'm not sure what drove me to try it today, but I'm certainly glad I did.

As expected this is a big beer. Chewy malt characteristics up and down with tons of hop bitterness. Not as floral as my favorite, Bigfoot, but some say that has too much hop character for a barleywine. I like lots of hops so perhaps that is what makes me so comfortable with that. This is far more balanced, which is not to say there are subtleties - everything is there and there in spades.

Wonderful caramel and bready flavors fill out the hops and chewy malts. The body is rich and full with a smooth finish. Quite tasty. Why have I waited so long to try this?

4.5/5  rDev +9%

3.45/5  rDev -16.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Stone- Old Guardian

Limited Early 2007 release

Appearance- Golden copper brown with a thick, creamy, sticky head. Thick lacing down the glass.
Smell- Oily green hops with grape/ plum notes. Alcohol is also present.
Taste- A quick dose of pungent hops followed with a sweet hit of fruits, raisin, prune, and cherry. Alcohol shows up in the end.
Mouthfeel- Sweet and cough medicine like from beginning to end. Slighty thick with a big hit of alcohol in the end.

Overall- This is 11.26% alc, so this is slighty potent beer here. I aged it for 4-5 months but feel that had probably little effect on it.
A good sipper for a relaxing evening or in place of wine.

4.22/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours clear reddish/amber with a large tan head that lasts forever and leaves great lacing. The smell is pungent with a real strong "bisquity" aroma with dark fruit,hops, and alcohol. The taste is very hoppy for the style,which I like,but it's not really true to style. Bitter and citrus hops along with alcohol, malt,and some fruits. The m/f is medium with the flavors mixing well. A different b/w. More like Bigfoot than traditional b/w's and I for one really like that.

4.38/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from the 22oz bottle into a Chouffe tulip glass. Body is a radiant deep orange color, topped by a large, creamy white head that slowly descends to a small, creamy ring. Decent lacing on the glass.
Aroma of sweet, bready malt, tons of spicy, floral hops, and more than a little alcohol. Palate is an almost-perfect blend of huge hop flavor and assertively sweet malt. Notes of biscuit, sweet fruit, and a touch of pine are detectable, although this beer isn't exactly huge on nuance. Finishes surprisingly smooth, with little heat from the alcohol.
Body is rich and at times a bit creamy, at others a bit sticky. Dangerously drinkable, so be careful. At 11+%, this could create some havoc if you're not prepared.

4.72/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance: Reddish glow

Head: no head, just a small runner on the sides of the glass

Smell: Dark citrus with a big maltyness no heat

Taste: Sweet malts with a dark light citric hop and subtle warmth

Weight: Heavy body

Finish: Light biter citric with lots of stickiness on the lips

If you ask me for another I would say, yes!

22oz bomb, split in preparation for a man man/yeasayer show

appearance: poured into a 42nd street oyster bar pint glass, hazy orange-amber body with a beige froth cap

smell: smells like danger - big citrus hops as expected, big caramel malts, noticeable booze presence which prompted the recipient of the 2nd half of the bottle to ponder the abv %

taste: big and bold on all fronts...huge citrus hop bite, lush pine, thick caramel malts and strong booze undertones. grapefruit and syrupy maple balance this one out...easily could age a few more years at least, but i was thirsty

mouthfeel: syrupy and smooth, hop bite, hot alcohol

drinkability: good

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2007 from Stone Brewing Co.