Smoked Porter - Chipotle - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - ChipotleSmoked Porter - Chipotle

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter - Chipotle Alström Bros
Reviews: 320 | Hads: 1,267

I had this beer on tap while touring the Stone Brewery. This is by far the best smokey beer I have ever had. I found this beer to be nothing short of perfection.

A: This hold a beautiful black color virtually identical to the standard smoked porter. Light brown head left a nice lacing.

S: Very smokey, very peppery. Little roasted malt in there, but the smell gets its power from the peppers.

T: I like the smoked porter a lot, but the after taste never really did it for me. The peppers in this are the perfect remedy. Up front, you get an amazing smokey flavor, easily paired with any style of BBQ. The spice in the aftertaste warms your throat very comfortably. There are some spicy beers that are killed by the heat (Cave Creek Chill for one). This is the best balance of flavor and heat I've ever seen in a beer. I was genuinely astonished by this beer's quality.

D: I can drink this nonstop. The heat isn't enough to make it unenjoyable. It's not to heavy, it's not syrupy, it's essentially the perfect smoked pepper porter.

Stone has always been one of the breweries that I've respected. This beer might have thrown them to the top of my list. I am proud to say that I was fortunate enough to drink this beer. Great job Stone! You really hit the ball out of the park with this one!

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

Appearance: Black as night

Head: Nice light brown head

Smell: Roosted smooth dark maltyness

Taste: Almost like a pepper skin with a very silky, creamy dark burnt malts

Weight: medium to heavy body with low carbonation

Finish: Burnt roosted dark malt with a little hot spice or heat in the throat

4.75/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Had this beer once on tap when it was chilled, tasted ok.

Had the same beer from a bottle at room temperature and it was phenomenal! The peppers come through much clearer when the beer is at room temperature. The pepper taste is nice, but not sinus clearing.

4.73/5  rDev +23.2%

Picked up a growler of this and almost immediately felt the need to bust it open. Pours a beautiful black with with a little dark brown head that fades. Smelled of chocolate, chipotle, and barley. I thought it had an incredible taste a near perfect balance of ingredients with enough of a kick from the peppers to keep the taste-buds happy. It's def not the thickest porter but still has a good medium body to it. Ultimately I would put this on par with bootlegger's Black Phoenix, which was also exceptional.

4.61/5  rDev +20.1%

I enjoyed the vanilla variant of this beer. Wonder if I'll like this one too? I like spicy food but have to avoid due to the gastrointestinal issues it causes.

Pitch black with a nice brown head into my glass. Frothy and it has a reddish hue from perhaps the chipotle?

Spicy, chewy malt makes my mouth water. That's all there seems to be in the nose.

Wow. Chipotle slowly creeps across the palate, leaving hints of roasted coffee, cocoa and cream on the tongue. Balanced too!

Lingering chipotle essence among other flavors embody the mouthfeel.

Very drinkable and worth a try!

4.57/5  rDev +19%

On cask at lucky baldwins

A: poured a dark brown with ruby highlights and a thin head with a little sticky lacing.

S: big on roasted chipotle peppers in the aroma along with spices and burnt fire wood. Very light on the malts but the chipotle spice aromas was amazing to me cause I do enjoy a great spicey smoke porter.

T: loved the chipotle pepper punch up front with the nice buring sensation in the back of the throat after sip. The spices and roastiness really propel the overall flavor of the beer with a subtle malt presence.

M: medium body with light carbonation and a great spicey finish on the back of the throat.

D: drank amazingly good for a spicy smoked porter. It is the best spicey smoked beer I've had so far. I will seek this beer out every time they brew it. I know it pretty limited and brewed once a year I think. I hope they bottle it one day.

4.57/5  rDev +19%

The dark brown body was clearer, and lighter looking than what I typically expect from the style, but it was nice looking, and had a one finger thick, beige colored head. The smell of the beer was quite smoky, and smelled like really dark roasted coffee mixed with caramel flavor. There wasn't much chipotle pepper in the smell, but the flavor was right up front in the taste. It was a lot spicier than I was expecting, and the flavor of peppers was all over my tongue immediately. It was backed by semi sweet chocolate with hints of almond. The pepper never relented throughout the taste and lingered on in the finish. The beer felt thinner onn the palette than was the norm for the style, but when your tongue is on fire from the chili pepper, who cares. I love the peppery boldness of this brew.

4.55/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pretty much the same appearance as the other Smoked Porters: black with a nicely sized brown head. Really nice retention here, with a half-finger cap of head remaining well after the pour. The lacing is as thick as ever.

S: As with the vanilla, the peppers are very much noted on the aroma. I think this one has a little bit more balance, however. It smells a lot like smoked porter: coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts, but this one adds the spice of the chipotle peppers.

T: The peppers really add a subtle kick to this beer that really impress me, but fall just short of making this beer amazing. Again, the taste closely resembles Smoked Porter, but this time with a kick of the heat of peppers on the backend. It really lingers on the palate for a long while. I just wish they were a bit stronger. The coffee and roast of the beer already coats the palate and dominates the backend, the peppers simply add a level of complexity. If they asserted themselves a bit more, this would be one of my favorite porters on the market. I'm not saying I dislike this beer at all, I just don't think it quite warrants a 5 for taste.

MF: Medium body with a good amount of carbonation. The finish of this beer is as complex as it gets. Smooth and extremely drinkable. The heat and smoke really make the mouth water and keep you coming back for more.

O: $4.50 for the bottle, you can't really beat it. Delicious porter that stands out against its competition. I preferred this to the Vanilla Bean version, and overall I think it was better than the original.

4.52/5  rDev +17.7%

A - Pours like coffee. A sligth creamy foam is present on top.

S - Smells like it has some heat. The best description I can give is like Cafe Dumonde; coffe notes and an earthy, spicy kick. Just excellent.

T - Wow! The early feel is some sugary sweet flavor. That ends real fast as the pepper is dominant in the profile and gives this beer a potent kick. Even has a little burn.

M - About as pleasant as a Cohiba on a Sunday afternoon. Just dynamite on the tongue.

O - So glad a get a growler of this. Very interesting ans well done porter.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Visually, it's as expected. The aroma has more chipotle than smoke. That carries to the flavor, as well. This isn't a sneaky hit, it hits you immediately. However, it's not overpowering. After you get through the heat, there's smoke, char, even a bit of chocolate. Lips still tinge for a bit, too.

This is truly outstanding. Everything in the title is there, and with phenomenal balance. Love it.

4.5/5  rDev +17.2%

Love this porter. The chipotle flavor mixes well with the porter and has just a touch of heat on the back side. I always enjoy when I find a few of these.

4.47/5  rDev +16.4%

Glass - Nonic

A - A very dark, hazy porter with little light shining through. It produced a 2-3 finger off white head on a somewhat gentle pour. Head looks dense, and head retention seems to be great. I got some spots left on my glass but no lacing.

S - The first thing I pick up is smokey leather like notes. Deep roasted coffee bean, mild charcoal. It definitely doesn't smell like it would taste too sweet.

T - Roasted coffee beans, leather, charcoal, woody, earthy. Mild sweetness in the form of soft caramel like flavors. It finishes with mild, leafy hop like notes, mild bitterness, soft dryness, and a mild pepper like heat that builds up in your throat and the back of your tongue.

M - Medium bodied with moderate crispness and a bit of a smooth feel.

O - Wow, just like the original Smoked Porter, I really enjoyed this one. I loved how smokey, and leathery the aroma and taste were. It wasn't overly sweet or carbonated, and the appearance was great as well. Just a fantastic Porter to me.

Stone might have just started bottling this fine brew, cause I've never seen it in a bottle before. Pick it up and give it try if you can. Cheers!

4.45/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Notes from the Stone event at The Attic, and my last beer of the night.

This beer is served from the tap in a snifter and, in the dim lighting at least, is very dark brown, possibly black, with a very nice crown of brown head on tap just over a finger tall. Lacing is left in pretty thick patches most of the way down.
The smoked porter (base beer) is one of my very favorite somked beers and a great one on its own. It's all there, smoke, rich and robust malts forming a strong foundation, plenty of earthiness, only now there's a nice peppery heat to it that doesn't sting my nostrils and really smells like someone's holding a pepper, fresh and uncut, up to my nose. The cocoa is fractionally lessened in the aroma, perhaps, but I still detect that element of it.
The flavor follows suit: that very nice base beer, going just slightly a touch more meaty in a flash off the front before settling to a solid wood smoke, and it's like I'm chomping on fresh peppers. It doesn't burn me, though; I do get the tasty flavor of the pepper and not just the heat, but that heat does rest on the back of the tongue and a bit down my epophagus.
This is a still a rich poter with a solid medium-full body, though the pepper does seem to thin it out a little. It's by no means lacking; that's only in relation to the base.
This is another beauty of a beer and one I was delighted to finish a great event at a great bar with great people with this beer.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

12oz bottle served in a glass beer mug.

L - black with a tan head that thinned out leaving spots and waves of lacing.

S - smoked bacon with a hint of chocolate in the background.

T - Holy Smoke! Great smokey flavor with just a slight bite from the peppers.

F - medium bodied with mild carbonation.

O - the peppers work very well with a terrific base beer.

4.42/5  rDev +15.1%

A - dark as a porter should be, with some crimson highlights, a gentle pour wells up a billowy tan head

S - smoky and roasty notes hit first, while looking for the pepper aroma, I can pick up on some additional aroma, but I don't think I would place it as jalapeno peppers (or chipotle peppers for that matter), finishes with a slight hint of cocoa powder

T - wow, the taste is so accurate. Those Stone wizards have really hit the nail on the head with this one. It doesn't taste like chipotle juice added to Smoked Porter, it tastes like a perfect marriage of the two in the process. Great peaty, chocolaty roasted malts with a great subtle peppery-ness with even a hint of spicy capsaicin goodness. As it warms as I write this, the pepper-osity comes out even more.

M&D - an acquired taste that hits two targets in my taste spectrum, beer and spice. The tastes really are spliced perfectly. This beer would make awesome chili, or be perfect for many cooking applications

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass.

A real nice head formation, big and luscious with nice red tan hues and tiny bubbles, getting four fingers big and settling to a nice three finger cap. Body color is a very very dark reddish brown, seems quite opaque no light getting through this at all.

Nose is really nice, smoked malts, some roasted pepper in there, some dark bitter chocolate just wonderful.

Taste hits all the right notes nicely. Roasty and toasty malts behind a slightly wet body, but filling in lots of airy burnt pepper on the finish. Roasty and dry all throughout, with just a bare hint of bitter dark chocolate. Everything is really nicely balanced here with nothing crazy either.

Overall really enjoyable beer, rather dig this take and angle, would like to have this often actually.

$5 for the single 12oz bottle
Sampled 26AUG12

[A] On the pour, a creamy light brown head rises one finger high. Excellent retention fades into a soapy everlasting film and thick uneven collar. The body is is very dark brown, nearly black, with dark amber tints along the glass's edge. Backlighting reveals a ruby interior and impressive clarity. Above average lacing in no particular pattern.

[S] Peat smoked malts provide heady smoke aromas with underlying notes of damp soily earth and well oiled leather.

[T] Earthy, charred chipotle pepper heat grazes the tongue. Peat flavors compliment the roasted character of the base beer. Bitter chocolate lives deep in the background.

[M] I love everything about the mouthfeel. Plush and creamy from front palate well through mid. Softly biting carbonation sets in briefly which prepares the tongue for the lightest splash of heat.

[O] Apparently this beer has been around for a while but this is the first year its been bottled - and it's in competition with the vanilla version for a chance at another bottling run...Stone - Get your shit together and bottle each. They are both fantastic.

4.4/5  rDev +14.6%

Pours dark black with a hint of ruby. Good head and nice lacing through consumption. This chipotle version definitely enhances the smokey aroma - its impossible to miss as you raise the glass,to your face. The hero is the flavor. Enhanced smokey flavor with some subtle spiced chocolate notes up front but then the kicker is the spice that lingers well on the very back end. The chipotle really kicks in late - not even fair to say its on the backend of this train - the best of the chipotle comes well after the caboose. Well done.

4.39/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Stone Smoked Porter is one of my all time favorite beers to begin with, so I knew i had to try a bottle of it w/ the Chipotle peppers, as I am also a big chile head! Poured into my pint glass. This beer pours a clear dark brown color with a nice tan head about 2/3 inch thick when poured. head settles to a decent sized ring lining the inside of the glass, but unfortunately not too much lacing here. Not as good or lacing from this particular bottle as I am used to this beer, at least the regular version of it, having. Aromas of roasted malt, hints of chocolate and coffee and the Chipotle peppers, which do indeed come out more as the beer sits and warms up a bit. Has flavors of roasted and smoked malt upfront with nice hints of coffee, chocolate and vanilla that give be to the Chipotle spice, which is certainly noticeable but not overbearing. Not really too much of a discernible hop flavor here, I remember the regular version of this beer certainly being a bit more hoppy than this bottle I am drinking (I mean after all this is Stone we are talking about here, who are well known for making beers that are quite big in the hop department!). Great mix of flavors nonetheless though. Has a nice crisp,yet creamy, somewhat oily, medium to full bodied mouthfeel with moderate carbonation. Easy to drink in the way a well crafted beer from Stone should be. Glad to see that this is apparently made year around how and I hope to get my hands on a few more bottles soon!

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A - poured opaque black with beautiful ruby hue when held to the light. Light tan 1.5 finger head was very creamy. Some lacing, and some head remained throughout.

S - similar to regular smoked porter, lots of chocolate, coffee, roasted barley, smoke, sweetness, the chipotles add a more campfire smoke character.

T - this is good, deep roasted barley and smoked malt character, very malt forward, can certainly taste the smokiness of the chipotle, but the heat really is only on the finish sort of delayed similar to cayenne, hops provide ample Bittering to go hand and hand with the spicyness... However it's very subtle. A little heat stays and I feel the heat more in my throat then in my mouth.

M - surprisingly refreshing, the carbonation and body are perfect, and the spicy finish makes me want to take another sip.

O - drinking this on its own, but this would be a great pairing for some BBQ meat. The spice is subtle, and the chipotle flavor is big. It melds a lot better with the base porter then it would any other style IMO.

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just received this brew from mikedashg in a recent trade. I've been wanting to try this brew for quite some time as I love Chili Beers and Smoked Porters. Comes filled in a very attractive 1 Litre swing top bottle. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching the NFL 2009 opener (Tennessee vs Pittsburg).

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish ruby red with a very nice one finger creamy tan head. A thin cap and collar remain after the head finally dissipates along with quite a bit of spotty lacing.
Smell- Smoky and nice with a deep sort of woody earthiness. Dark fruits (nothing really in particular, just a deep dark fruitiness) and a touch of vanilla peak in as well. The roast isn't particularly deep but I'm sure it's muted quite a bit by the smoked malts. Nothing really in particular that says 'chipotle'... Just smells like Stones regular Smoked Porter.
Taste- Starts with a very twangy sort of crack on my tongue that is somewhere between citric and waxy. The smoke is more subtle in the taste than in the nose but it does linger quite a bit. BBQ and coffee beans sneak in adding a dry sort of chalkiness as does a tinge of cocoa nibs. Like the nose the chipotle adds no real flavor but it does leave a nice spicy linger in the finish. The spice is f'n perfect but if it didn't have that spicy linger I don't think I'd know the difference between this and the regular Smoked Porter.
Mouthfeel- Nice silky smooth feel with a fairly nice scrubbing from the semi aggressive carbonation.
Drinkability- Nice beer that I enjoyed quite a bit. Like I said earlier I love Chili brews but I have to sort of have the right mindset. This was perfect in this opening night situation. Not a hell of a lot different than the regular Smoked Porter but a treat none-the-less. Thanks much Mike!

12 oz bottle bought on 11/20/12

A -- thick foamy head and rich darkness with a brief 1/2 inch head

S --- smoked malts, peppers, cocoa, a hint of grass

T --- wow! I really like this combination. Smokey, peppery with a hint of chocolate yet very drinkable.

M --- smooth, creamy, and a little oiliness. Medium body and carbonation.

O --- I really love this beer! I'm sure it go well with BBQ, but it's solid by itself.

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

A: almost totaly black. SMall white head. Outstanding lacing.

S: Deeply roasted malt. Burnt sugar sweetness. Beautiful smokiness and slight pepper.

T: Intensly smoked and bitter. SLightly earthy and a mild pepper ont he back end. The more I had of the beer the more i noticed the pepper. As the beer warmed the chipotle really came through. It lingered on the gums.

M: Full, complex, spicy, bitter, smokey. Hitting all all sorts of notes here.

O: Wish it was a little spicier, but the spice lingers in an awesome way. It kind of sneaks up on you. Sweet bitterness, smoky, spicy. Awesome!

4.35/5  rDev +13.3%

Served in a Stone pint glass at Finnegan's 2/26/11. Thanks to Steve for the assist!

A: Served pure porter black. Not a trace of anything lighter at the edges. The thinnish head sitting on top was bubbly, creamy, and light tan in color. Retention was good and some lacey rings were left behind.

S: Big roasty nose full of smoky Chipotle pepper. Unmistakable aroma. Also there was some roasty/smokey malt, chocolate, and maybe a bit of anise.

T: See above. Killer smoky and fleshy Chipotle flavor!

M: Immediate pepper oil burn. Lingering prickliness that is just like biting into a fresh Chipotle pepper! Awesome heat...

D: So glad to have been able to try this. Texas Ranger, when fresh, has an edge on this but this is in no way a slouch!

4.34/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

2012 bottle opened in 2013

A - Cola brown body with cranberry highlights. Creamy, light tan head with great retention and nice lace.

S - Nice dry, almost dusty, ancho chili nose with cocoa powder and burnt toast.

T - Smooth milk chocolate, raisiny chipotle, sharp capsaicin warmth, burnt coffee, toast.

M - Fantastically smooth, medium body. Great staying power. Nice heat.

O - Hard to miss when you're starting from the Stone Smoked Porter, and the Chipotle Smoked Porter delivers. The heat cuts through the richness of the porter, and the chipotle blends seamlessly with the smoke.

Smoked Porter - Chipotle from Stone Brewing Co.