Smoked Porter - Chipotle - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - ChipotleSmoked Porter - Chipotle

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter - Chipotle Alström Bros

I had this beer on tap while touring the Stone Brewery. This is by far the best smokey beer I have ever had. I found this beer to be nothing short of perfection.

A: This hold a beautiful black color virtually identical to the standard smoked porter. Light brown head left a nice lacing.

S: Very smokey, very peppery. Little roasted malt in there, but the smell gets its power from the peppers.

T: I like the smoked porter a lot, but the after taste never really did it for me. The peppers in this are the perfect remedy. Up front, you get an amazing smokey flavor, easily paired with any style of BBQ. The spice in the aftertaste warms your throat very comfortably. There are some spicy beers that are killed by the heat (Cave Creek Chill for one). This is the best balance of flavor and heat I've ever seen in a beer. I was genuinely astonished by this beer's quality.

D: I can drink this nonstop. The heat isn't enough to make it unenjoyable. It's not to heavy, it's not syrupy, it's essentially the perfect smoked pepper porter.

Stone has always been one of the breweries that I've respected. This beer might have thrown them to the top of my list. I am proud to say that I was fortunate enough to drink this beer. Great job Stone! You really hit the ball out of the park with this one!

Nature777, Sep 07, 2010

Bouder32, Jun 11, 2014

Chris_Cali_2o9, Nov 20, 2012

dbauer78, Aug 05, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +25.7%

Picked up a growler of this and almost immediately felt the need to bust it open. Pours a beautiful black with with a little dark brown head that fades. Smelled of chocolate, chipotle, and barley. I thought it had an incredible taste a near perfect balance of ingredients with enough of a kick from the peppers to keep the taste-buds happy. It's def not the thickest porter but still has a good medium body to it. Ultimately I would put this on par with bootlegger's Black Phoenix, which was also exceptional.

tbase, Sep 18, 2010

KiMiRaiK, Jan 20, 2013

Fettpopps, Mar 16, 2014

bentonbk, May 22, 2014

steevo24, Jul 18, 2014

BoRaeCho, Jun 22, 2012
4.72/5  rDev +24.9%

Appearance: Black as night

Head: Nice light brown head

Smell: Roosted smooth dark maltyness

Taste: Almost like a pepper skin with a very silky, creamy dark burnt malts

Weight: medium to heavy body with low carbonation

Finish: Burnt roosted dark malt with a little hot spice or heat in the throat

Snow81, Apr 06, 2011
4.68/5  rDev +23.8%

Jeff-Grant, Sep 01, 2014
4.65/5  rDev +23%

I enjoyed the vanilla variant of this beer. Wonder if I'll like this one too? I like spicy food but have to avoid due to the gastrointestinal issues it causes.

Pitch black with a nice brown head into my glass. Frothy and it has a reddish hue from perhaps the chipotle?

Spicy, chewy malt makes my mouth water. That's all there seems to be in the nose.

Wow. Chipotle slowly creeps across the palate, leaving hints of roasted coffee, cocoa and cream on the tongue. Balanced too!

Lingering chipotle essence among other flavors embody the mouthfeel.

Very drinkable and worth a try!

Brad007, Jul 11, 2012
4.64/5  rDev +22.8%

Buttstallion, Aug 17, 2014
4.63/5  rDev +22.5%

The dark brown body was clearer, and lighter looking than what I typically expect from the style, but it was nice looking, and had a one finger thick, beige colored head. The smell of the beer was quite smoky, and smelled like really dark roasted coffee mixed with caramel flavor. There wasn't much chipotle pepper in the smell, but the flavor was right up front in the taste. It was a lot spicier than I was expecting, and the flavor of peppers was all over my tongue immediately. It was backed by semi sweet chocolate with hints of almond. The pepper never relented throughout the taste and lingered on in the finish. The beer felt thinner onn the palette than was the norm for the style, but when your tongue is on fire from the chili pepper, who cares. I love the peppery boldness of this brew.

rajendra82, Jun 07, 2014
4.6/5  rDev +21.7%

On cask at lucky baldwins

A: poured a dark brown with ruby highlights and a thin head with a little sticky lacing.

S: big on roasted chipotle peppers in the aroma along with spices and burnt fire wood. Very light on the malts but the chipotle spice aromas was amazing to me cause I do enjoy a great spicey smoke porter.

T: loved the chipotle pepper punch up front with the nice buring sensation in the back of the throat after sip. The spices and roastiness really propel the overall flavor of the beer with a subtle malt presence.

M: medium body with light carbonation and a great spicey finish on the back of the throat.

D: drank amazingly good for a spicy smoked porter. It is the best spicey smoked beer I've had so far. I will seek this beer out every time they brew it. I know it pretty limited and brewed once a year I think. I hope they bottle it one day.

Gobzilla, May 31, 2010
Smoked Porter - Chipotle from Stone Brewing Co.