Smoked Porter - Chipotle - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - ChipotleSmoked Porter - Chipotle

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter - Chipotle Alström Bros
Reviews: 318 | Hads: 1,263
1.18/5  rDev -69.4%

A - dark coffee with a white, slightly tanned, two finger head that stuck around.

S - sour, off-hay like.

T - the taste began with a water nose. I tasted nothing else but water. This was followed by a burning sensation in the my throat. No spice, just burn. The burn was something similar to swallowing pepper spray. The finish was dirty and pestered my palate for quite some time. As Ralph from The Simpsons said, "It tastes like burning".

M - far too watery for an acceptable Porter .

D - I think I've made my point. (522 characters)

1.63/5  rDev -57.7%

Pint at Naja's Place

One of the worst beers I have had this summer

The whole spicy and dark beer thing just does not work

Got to really be in the mood or just have an odd taste preference to like this one

It tastes normal, then all of sudden there is a sour acidic taste like a jalapeno or something

Blah

Even the bartender said it was bad, but I tried it anyways

Stay away by all means (393 characters)

2.25/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Color- Chestnut brown. Full head.

Aroma- very smokey.

Taste- far too smokey with a tiny hint of pepper on the back end. The smoke overwhelms this brew. I'd rename this one in German (since Rauch or smoke beers generally originate from Germany) "Rauchbeir mit ein bischen Chilipfeffer" instead of Stone's label. Surprisingly subpar for Stone, especially considering the standard Smoked Porter is less smokey and better balanced than this variant. I'm a Stone fan and even toured the Stone brewery last time I was in San Diego. So my rating does not reflect a bias against Stone. I'm just disappointed in this specific brew.

Poured from 650 ml bomber into a Liefmans Goudenband glass (my preferred all purpose beer tasting glass). Tasted on 5/31/2014. (755 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -40%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

I love Stone beers. I have loved the Smoked Porter from the first time I tasted it.
I love hot peppers, so putting things together, I was hoping for a great taste.

Sorry to say, but the chipotle flavor in my mind took away from this porter. I still believe the porter would be better without this pepper flavor. In fact, I found that the pepper almost diluted d the impact of the porter. The original porter was a good mouthful, this left a lot to be desired..

I think I would have enjoyed this more, if they used a hotter pepper, perhaps a harbenero (552 characters)

2.38/5  rDev -38.2%

Had on tap at the Stone Total Tap Takeover

A-pours a dark cola brown looking color with some red edges and a dark tan colored head.

S-the nose is a blend of spicy pepper and roasted malts. there are hints of coffee rind and a touch of dry bakers chocolate.

T-chipotle and chocolate do not make a good mix in my mind. each flavor is assertive and stands alone. poor integration of these two flavors then give way to a very roasty malt finish.

M-thinner body with a creamy teture. the spice burns the back of the throat to make it hard to enjoy with a slightly dry finish.

D-this has an interesting array of flavors that to me don't taste good togther. they stand alone and lack integration. the finish is rather harsh and makes it hard to drink. (749 characters)

2.42/5  rDev -37.1%

I'm shocked this pulled an award at the beer fest. Nice beer but NO peppers. Contains some good smoke, but its a smoked porter! Takes a long time to open up with peppers, and my grandma likes her morning eggs with more spicy than this. Might just be me, but a mediocre beer.
Na zdrowie (285 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -33.5%

served on-tap @ The Foundry, Kansas City, MO, into a nonic pint

Pours a nice, roasty-looking deep brown. Plenty of red and toffee tones when held to light. A nice, tight light khaki head of about 1.25 fingers in size forms, and decides to stick around for awhile. Nice looking beer.

Unfortunately, the beer is blase on the nose. You get mostly smokiness; a muted liquid smoke component. There's a bit of brown malt aroma, but that's it. Poor smoke and not at all anything interesting going on beneath the smoke.

The positives about this beer: the Chipotle pepper heat is tasty and not too strong. The negatives about this beer: everything else. The smoke taste is muted and bland. The real criminal is the underlying porter. This was ostensibly a porter that has had smoke and pepper incorporated into it. The base beer is awful: weak, boring. It's like a slightly roastier brown ale, only diluted.

The mouthfeel is also terrible. It's way too thin. In fact, I'd describe it as straight-up watery. It causes the beer to fall off a cliff during the midpalate. What flavor there is in this beer disappears because of the watery body.

Overall, this is an unimpressive porter. Weak, muted flavors. It's just not well-brewed. This is a strange failure for a brewery that I often give high scores to. (1,300 characters)

2.59/5  rDev -32.7%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle opened alongside the vanilla. Pour is almost as pretty as the vanilla, though the head is less fluffy and full. Body still looks a bit thin.

Smells like cardboard again. Hello oxidization! Peppers in the back, but man is it unpleasant. Taste follows suit: cardboard and more cardboard before chipotle peppers finish things off. Body is too thin and overcarbed again. Bad, bad, bad. Avoid! (401 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -32.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer should have been right up my alley, both being a porter and also having chipotle, but I was really disappointed by the beer.

The pour out of the 12oz bottle was fine, about what you would expect from a porter, but that is where the problems started. Immediately I could smell the smoke with hints of the pepper, but more just overwhelmingly smoke.

Just like the smell the taste was just of the smoke, with a hint of the pepper. Everything was just muted, with no tastes popping, which I am hoping was just the beer being too old, and not the taste of the beer. I would not rule out oxygenation as the culprit to me not liking the taste, but overall it was just not a good experience. (697 characters)

2.64/5  rDev -31.4%

Served in a tulip glass.

* I swear a few times in here, please don't let the kiddies read*

Pours a very dark brown with a touch of off white head. Chipotle smoked beer, mmm. Sounds so good when it hits your lips. Um wait. Where is the smoked num num? There is nothing on the nose other than roast and a bit of chocolate. Well naturally it must be in the taste. Wrong! WTF? I chastised Stone before on the vanilla version tasting like cheap shit vanilla extract. I figured there would at least be something of that nature here. Hell no. I've been duped yet again. Fuck off Greg Koch and Stone. You make awful beer and you've fucked me over too many times. (656 characters)

2.67/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured a hazy black with tan head.

The smell was spicy with a little smokey roast on the back. A pretty damn good smell.

The first sip was pretty great and impressive. A much heavier hotness than expected as well and wayyy more smoke taste than the usual version. Now after one sip this beer went south. It was much to hot where as it would have given me heart burn and the smokiness was over powering. I know Stone goes for "Xtreme" beers but this is unbalanced and too much. I would still love to try the vanilla though.

From the other reviews I didn't see many people describing the intensity I tasted so it's possible it was just an off cask. (649 characters)

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

Deep brown, tinged with red, minimal offwhite head.

Smells and tastes kinda like red pepper flakes and cigarettes. I had much higher hopes. I've had pepper/chille done better, and smoke done much better. I don't really like it.

Feel is decent if a bit artificial.

Man, I had higher hopes, not to set the bar too high. This ended up being really underwhelming. (362 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%

My favorite salsas have chipotle peppers, so I had to give it a try. Dark brown in the glass. Modest foam with virtually no lacing.

The chile taste is actually quite nice. It's the campfire charred bitterness that takes away any pleasure. I don't remember the regular smoked version being so sourishly burnt. It gets more hot after sipping awhile, enough so that I don't want to sip anymore. Not hint of malty sweetness, which might have done this some good.

It doesn't take long before this totally wears out its welcome. Hot, dirty, extremely dry, and bitter in unrelieved rotation. Interesting for a taste, but not drinkable. From the 12 oz bottle. (655 characters)

2.84/5  rDev -26.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured a thin head on a black body.
The aroma is roasted malt with a quick hit of chipotle pepper smoke at the end.
The taste gets lost between the smoke and chili, neither which is overpowering. It's a bit watery with a pepper taste. The chipotle comes back at the end for a warm finish.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
I like chili beers, but this just didn't mix well together. (396 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Hard for me to review this beer, because I am just straight up not a fan of the whole "spicy pepper in beer" thing that has been going on lately. I just don't get it; spice and beer are not flavors that suit eachother in my opinion. That being said, the beer is well made: all of the things you would expect from a good smoked porter are there. Roasty malts, coffee and bitter chocolate, silky smooth texture, dark as pitch... And then there's some spice and chipotle flavor. Totally kills it for me.

Overall, well made beer, just not my thing. (545 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -23.6%

had the vanilla. love peppers, although not a huge fan of chipotles. vanilla and chipotle tasted the same. i got no 'heat', no pepper flavor or smell. the smell is BAND AIDS, just like the vanilla. does anyone know why? ever chewed on a band aid?- long story. or maybe just a sick one. but i dont find these beers pleasing. and it tastes like BAND AIDS, too. looked beautiful with the spotty lacing and rich dark color, but just doesnt do it for me. (449 characters)

3.01/5  rDev -21.8%

Had on cask at Blue Palms Brewhouse in Hollywood, reviewed from notes.

A - Pours a deep brown with large off-white head that lingers and leaves a lot of lacing.

S - A bit subdued, mostly smokey--like the smell of a recently used charcoal grill. Some notes of chocolate and the chipotle are present, but not prominent

T - Very smokey taste, burnt coffee and chocolate before fading into that chipotle spicyness. You can't taste the chipotle so much as feel it. It's interesting to say the least.

M - Not great, the spicyness of the beer really throws off everything, as you can't fully enjoy any type of fullness in the beer because your mouth starts to tingle.

Overall - An interesting attempt to introduce something new to brewing, but I wasn't really buyin' (764 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Now playing: Neutral Milk Hotel - Holland, 1945

I am not even going to break this one down, as I had this on cask and even the bartender said that something had gone crazy (not necessarily in a good way) with this particular one. It was over carbonated and had an insane amount of pepper in it. After a couple of sips and finally a good gulp, the back of my throuat was sizzling like the urban legend of the kid who ate pop rocks and coke. They vouched that a previous keg was not so peppery, but I don't think that I would care for this combination any ways. I had the brandy barrel aged version of ths smoked porter and that sweetness with the smoke is a much more logical combination to me. (694 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured into a shaker pint: Black body with just the faintest chestnut highlights under a finger of lumpy mocha head that sticks around for a while.

From the smell I get dark chocolate, a little peaty smokiness, a little pepper heat. Like bacon & chile with chocolate, flavors that go really well together. Seems to dissipate quickly as the head drops, leaving behind a dull "European hop" kind of aroma.

Hmm, flavor doesn't seem to be delivering on the aroma's initial promise, either: Dark roast malt that seems to be *just* roast flavor, without the nice caramel, chocolate, & coffee that usually accompany the roast. Closer to burnt toast, just charred bitterness. The chiles bring some heat to the aftertaste without providing much flavor. Really feels kind of empty, to be honest: just roast & heat without any of the good stuff that usually goes along with them. I'm actually drinking it fairly fast because I keep going back looking for more flavor, like I'd missed it. A little cocoa emerges, but not much.

Medium-bodied, with an astringency during the drinking & then a mild spicy heat & acidity in the aftertaste. Not bad, but again it should come as a partner to other good stuff that's lacking.

Gotta say, I'm a little disappointed in this. Started off good in the smell, but even that didn't last, & seemed to carry the challenging parts of the flavor components without the reward. So abrasive in some ways, flat in others. (1,441 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Served on tap in a snifter

Appearance – The beer is served a deep-deep brown color with a one finger of tan colored head. The head has a good level of retention, slowly fading to leave a light level of lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is biggest of sweeter aromas of chocolate and caramel as well as some nice hits of roasted malt and chocolate with a little bit of a more vanilla and brown sugar like smell. While it is the chipotle variety it has very little of it in the nose with just a hint of heat from the peppers detected in the smell. While not much hot pepper the smell is rather delicious.

Taste – While the nose shows very little chipolate, the mouth shows much more. The taste begins with a drier roasted malt flavor with roast and toast and a little bit of caramel and brown sugar sweetness. As the taste advances the chocolate flavors pick up a bit, but with a loss of much of the sweetness. All the while a light heat of chipotle pepper comes to the tongue. This flavor really starts to pick it up toward the end all while the sweeter flavors fade. With the dwindling of the sweet and the increase in the chipotle one is left with a slightly lingering burn on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is on the average to slightly thicker and creamier side with a carbonation level that is on the average side. For the mix of darker and spicier flavors of the brew the more moderate ground is rather nice and creates a decent base for the brew.

Overall – Ah a somewhat decent porter, but the hot pepper sorta throws me off and makes it not really a nice sipping brew and not one I will come back to. I much prefer the standard or the vanilla over this, but if you like spicy things then this may be up your alley. (1,791 characters)

3.12/5  rDev -19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

I was really excited to see this as I love the chipotle flavor from peppers and love porters. So a match made in heaven, right? Not so much.

The smell was pretty decent with some smoke and dark malts but not overwhelming with the chipotle. Good touch and right amount.

The taste starts off ok with some smoke and roasted malts. Unfortunately this is where this beer goes off the tracks for me. The swallow and finish made me cringe. It rated like drinking a campfire and simultaneously licking the top of a cajun pepper bottle.

The mouthfeel was thin and dry but I had the bad lingering effects of the liquid campfire in my mouth after each sip.

Honestly, I probably won't get this beer again. Not that it was poorly crafted, rather I did not find it refreshing and the with the heat on the back of your tongue, it just felt plain weird. (841 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

Damn - got much better with age, I assume it mellowed out, not a bit spiced beer fan. Originally rated it 2.75, now I would say easily 3.5-3.75 range. Mild spiciness, full bodied, minor chocolate notes. (204 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -17.7%

A - Coffee colored with a thin head that completely disappeared after a few seconds.

S - Roasted malts, spice that tingles the nose, coffee aromas, a little bit of cocoa.

T - A little bit of spice up front followed by the smoked porter. Roasted malts with a little bit of nut in there. Not quite as spicy as I was hoping for.

M - Smooth porter with little to no carbonation present. A tingle from the peppers, but that's about it.

O - I think I'd rather just have the smoked porter. The peppers don't add enough flavor or heat to really be worth it to me. (561 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a nice deep reddish brown with a one finger head that quickly dissipates. Not much smell to the beer but definitely has a porter smell. Tastes is typical of a porter but very much light bodied and the pepper is subdued with just the slightest of burn at the end. You can taste the smokiness and the pepper but it is very easy on the mouth. Not a lot of body and a bit watery. Overall an ok beer that you could drink easily. (429 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Stone Smoked Porter with Chipotle Peppers:

Appearance: solid black, hint of reddish brown if angled just right;

Smell: hint of red pepper;

Taste/Mouthfeel: pretty hoppy, slight waxy sweetness, no pepper/smoky taste;

Okay/Decent

Poured into a pint glass. (309 characters)

Smoked Porter - Chipotle from Stone Brewing Co.