Smoked Porter - Chipotle - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - ChipotleSmoked Porter - Chipotle

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter - Chipotle Alström Bros
Reviews: 318 | Hads: 1,263
4.2/5  rDev +9.4%

Served in a shaker pint glass at Durty Nellie's.

A little surprised to see this guy pop up 'round here. It pours a deep, dark ruby-tinted sienna topped by over a finger of dirty ecru foam. The nose comprises roasted malts, chocolate, hot peppers, and molasses. The taste holds notes of roasted malts, molasses, light cocoa powder, oaky smoke, and a light pepper heat. The heat and smoke compliment the darkness nicely. The body is a hefty medium, with a moderate carbonation and a pretty dry finish. Overall, a real treat, a pepper-ed beer that neither overdoes it nor underdoes it. Nice.

2.42/5  rDev -37%

I'm shocked this pulled an award at the beer fest. Nice beer but NO peppers. Contains some good smoke, but its a smoked porter! Takes a long time to open up with peppers, and my grandma likes her morning eggs with more spicy than this. Might just be me, but a mediocre beer.
Na zdrowie

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

On tap @ Fat Heads Cleveland. Served in a pint glass. Thanks so much to Jay and Mitch for bringing this fantastic beer out!

The beer looks great in the glass. It's the quintessential American Porter - black with just a touch of red around the edges when the light shines on it. A nice looking beer with a cappuccino colored head that subsides to a nice film and good lace. Just excellent looking!

The smell, however, is not terribly expressive. I primarily get hints of chocolate and smoke, with a hint of coffee. There's no pepper scents at all. It is nice and roasty, I just wish there was a bit more expression. As it warms, I can start to get a bit of chipotle, mostly just a smoked earthy scent, but anyone claiming the peppers are jumping out of the glass must not be drinking the same beer as I am.

The taste is loaded with roasted malt and some mild smoke, plus a ton of earthiness and a touch of lingering heat. Nicely integrated and not overwhelming, it tastes like the normal smoked porter with just a touch of pepper at the end. Mild lingering heat grows as the beer warms up. The woody and earthy tastes of the chipotle peppers work great with the roasted malt.

The mouthfeel is not too creamy, but features a nice medium body. The carb could be turned down a touch, and that would make this beer into more of a meal. This is pretty drinkable for a smoked beer and even more drinkable for a pepper beer. But, for an American porter, it's not up there with the cream of the crop. Still, I'm glad to have had the chance and I did enjoy more than one pour!

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

One of the more interesting beers at the Cleveland BREWzilla.

Nice black coffee color. Mocha head on it. Fairly thin body.

Smelled rich and malty. Slightly sweet, baker's chocolate and smoke. I couldn't smell the chipotle. Aside from mild smoke it was fairly typical for a porter.

The flavor is great. Probably my favorite smoked beer thus far. The smoke is very mild, not overpowering as some smoked beers can get. Again, lots of typical porter flavors: bittersweet chocolate, roasted malts, and coffee. After the third sip though I was starting to feel the prickle of pepper in the back of my throat. Intrigued, I took a large gulp and chipotle rushed over my tongue; pretty good heat that lingered well after I swallowed.

I didn't find the pepper overpowering, as it could have been, however, I don't think I'd ever go for seconds. This was a truly unique beer and one I'd be happy to see on shelves around me.

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

Review from notes taken on 10/1/10 at the Stone total tap takeover at the Alewife.

Pours a dark brown color with some clarity and lighter brown around the edges. A thin layering of tan head sits atop this brew. As it quickly receeds it leaves some patches of lace about the glass.

The aroma of this brew is dark roasty malt with hints of chocolate and a deep layering of smoked scents. Not just the typical smoked malt contribution of smokey smell but also a citrusy tangy component that is the product of the pepper addition.

The taste is smokey with a dark roasty malt bitterness. For a moment you think the chipotle doesn't come through in the flavor and then all of a sudden the flavor profile changes to a citrus peppery zip and in comes the heat. This brew is quite warming to the extent of almost burning the back of the throat. The peppery taste lingers with a flavor that adds a more complex smoked character that is a bit different from the normal smoked porter.

This offering is medium to light bodied with a modest level of carbonation. The peppery aspect of this brew is too potent for me. A burning heat sensation is left inside the mouth which is excessive and hurts the drinkability. It is a strange hate love feeling I get. I like the way it tastes but hate the way it burns. The burning feeling forces you in for another sip which calms the sensation for a bit before it intensifies in heat. Keep the same flavor but bring down the level of heat from the chipotle. I dont know if that is even possible, but that is exactly what this brew needs in order to be amazing.

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Had at the Stone Tap Takeover in Charlotte. Served from tap into a tumbler. Poured dark dark brown with a minimal off-white head. There was no lacing evident throughout. The aroma was comprised of smoked malt, spices, and subtle malt. The flavor was of smoked malt and chipotle that actually builds heat as it sits on your palate and after. It had a light feel on the palate with mild carbonation. Overall this was a very nice change to the regular Smoked Porter offered by Stone. I really enjoyed the flavor combination of smokey and spicy. I wouldn't drink this spicy food however as the heat does tend to get a little much if you allow it to sit for too long.

3.78/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance: Stone's Smoked Chiporter displays a reasonably clear, dark brown body capped by a modest bone white head.

Smell: Includes all of the fine cocoa, coffee, and smoke notes I'd infer from the base smoked porter, as well as some well-integrated earthy, spicy chipotle accents.

Taste: A start of dark maltiness with the usual tastes of cocoa, mellow Breakfast Blend coffee, and lightly smokey character. Restrained sweetness. Slight, subtle pepper taste like a small spoonful of chipotle in adobo sauce. It makes itself known without getting unruly or morphing into anything like the Cave Creek Chili Beer. Modest amount of chile heat lingering in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: With the standard Smoked Porter and the Vanilla Bean version, I really must dare myself to try and stop chugging them down. With this one, well, one was more than enough.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%

On tap at Small bar, drank from a tulip during the Stone 40 tap takeover...Black pour with light tan head, good retention and lacing...The aroma doesn't present what you are looking for. Roasted malts and a little chocolate, but where are the chilis? As the beer warms the chipotles present on the very end, a little sharp heat, wish it was stronger...The taste is roasty as well but the chilis show a little more. They are spicy, bring hear to the tongue.

A decent beer but a pretty boring show of chipotle.

4.08/5  rDev +6.3%

On tap at Duckworths in Charlotte. Served in a pint glass.

Beer is nearly opaque. Dark brown (almost black) with brown/ruby highlights. When the beer was served there was about 1-1/2" of dense, dark tan head. Good head retention and moderate lacing.

The smell is roasty and chocolatey, with hints of smokiness and sweet caramel. I get a nice hoppy aroma as the beer starts to warm. I don't really notice any Chipotle at all.

The flavor is chocolate and caramel, with hints of coffee as well. The chipolte presence is not immediately noticable, it sneaks up on you as you drink the beer. I think the base beers smokiness is enhanced by the peppers in a good way. By the time I finished the beer, I could really feel the burn in the back of my throat. Medium/heavy bodied and moderately carbonated. Fairly easy to drink if you are able to withstand spicy food/drink.

The spicy nature of this beer works because of the contrast with the sweetness of the base beer, and the way it seems to mesh so well with the smokiness... I really enjoyed this beer

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Churchkey.

Pours near black with head or lacing. Nose brings forward a pretty good amount of chipotle alongside some roasted malt and hints of coffee. Smoke in the background. Taste brings the peppers forward while the smoke and roast characteristics remain in the background. Good feel--I like he heat on this. Drinkability is okay given the distinctiveness of some of the flavors.

3.88/5  rDev +1%

Three smoked porters tasted side by side at Churchkey last night, regular, vanilla and chipotle. Served in a wine glass.

Beer is black / dark brown with a thin broken head of brown tiny bubbles that leaves minimal lacing on the glass. Carbonation is low, they all three looked exactly the same.

The aroma on this one was subtle but the chiles were present. I feel the smell of the smoked chilis complemented the smell of the original beer better than the vanilla.

The chipotle sneaks up on you in the this beer. Its definitely not a chili forward beer at all. Its just a really nice background of the chipotle and then it drops off and gives way to the roast / smoke of the base beer. A very good use of chilis in a beer.

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%

On tap at the churchkey. pours a near black with a rich tan head that has solid retention. Lacing leaves a bit to be desired. Smell is awesome. Coffee, Chocolate, slight hoppy bitterness, a bit of smoke. The pepper kicks in at the end and compliments the other notes very well.

The pepper is kicked down a notch in the flavor, and the smoke is kicked up a bit. I liked the balance it had in the aroma a bit more than the flavor, but it is still delicious. Nice medium to full bodied mouthfeel, with a bit of prickly carbonation.

3.61/5  rDev -6%

On draft at Rattle 'n Hum. I sampled only 4 brews at the 40 Taps and took review notes on three of them.

This was one of the two beers I wanted to try the most at the event. It ended up being a solid brew, but a little watery for a porter. Ultimately I felt that the chipotle took away from the beer rather than adding to a fuller/rounder flavor.

The appearance was good, a nice half inch head disappated and left very nice lacing.

The aroma was disappointing - mostly roasted malt, no trace of the spiceness.

The taste was very good, but it was a very good porter. The roasted malt and hop profile were evident but they were muddled a bit by the chipotle. With a spice more a burning note than a complitment to the other flavors.

Mouthfeel was good, but a little watery. The chipotle had a bite at the end. The carbonation was good. Ultimately, this is a solid porter but I doubt I would reach for it over any of the other Stone offerings as parts of it were 'distracting' more than enhancing.

3.98/5  rDev +3.6%

At Tony's in Burbank.

Pours jet black with a creamy head that's slightly beige.

Smells off a very strongly spiced coffee.

The Chipotle is the perfect compliment to Stone's Smoked Porter. The original tasted like drinking from a fog machine, but this adds a much needed dimension to achieve a unique balance. Peppers are a welcomed contrast to the smooth desert flavors and add to the roasted malts. Never off putting or overwhelming, rather a potent aftertaste.

Pleasantly dry finish to a porter that has the right carbonation. I couldn't keep going with many of these, but certainly I could take down more than I could with the Smoked Porter.

4.73/5  rDev +23.2%

Picked up a growler of this and almost immediately felt the need to bust it open. Pours a beautiful black with with a little dark brown head that fades. Smelled of chocolate, chipotle, and barley. I thought it had an incredible taste a near perfect balance of ingredients with enough of a kick from the peppers to keep the taste-buds happy. It's def not the thickest porter but still has a good medium body to it. Ultimately I would put this on par with bootlegger's Black Phoenix, which was also exceptional.

I had this beer on tap while touring the Stone Brewery. This is by far the best smokey beer I have ever had. I found this beer to be nothing short of perfection.

A: This hold a beautiful black color virtually identical to the standard smoked porter. Light brown head left a nice lacing.

S: Very smokey, very peppery. Little roasted malt in there, but the smell gets its power from the peppers.

T: I like the smoked porter a lot, but the after taste never really did it for me. The peppers in this are the perfect remedy. Up front, you get an amazing smokey flavor, easily paired with any style of BBQ. The spice in the aftertaste warms your throat very comfortably. There are some spicy beers that are killed by the heat (Cave Creek Chill for one). This is the best balance of flavor and heat I've ever seen in a beer. I was genuinely astonished by this beer's quality.

D: I can drink this nonstop. The heat isn't enough to make it unenjoyable. It's not to heavy, it's not syrupy, it's essentially the perfect smoked pepper porter.

Stone has always been one of the breweries that I've respected. This beer might have thrown them to the top of my list. I am proud to say that I was fortunate enough to drink this beer. Great job Stone! You really hit the ball out of the park with this one!

3.32/5  rDev -13.5%

poured out of cask at Pizza Port Solana Beach.

I have had this one draft before and wanted to see what cask did to it.

Poured a dark dark brown with a super creamy light mocha head.

smell: not really much going on at all... a slight smokyness to it, with the ever so slightest smell of spice.

mouthfeel: creamy and smooth

taste: Smoke is the dominate flavor, some mild coffee notes with even more subtle chipotle flavor.

Drinkability: easy to drink.

Was a bit let down by this one. Out of draft that chipotle is super present and is what makes this beer fun to have. The cask, or at least the cask I had killed the chipotle flavor almost all together.

4.57/5  rDev +19%

On cask at lucky baldwins

A: poured a dark brown with ruby highlights and a thin head with a little sticky lacing.

S: big on roasted chipotle peppers in the aroma along with spices and burnt fire wood. Very light on the malts but the chipotle spice aromas was amazing to me cause I do enjoy a great spicey smoke porter.

T: loved the chipotle pepper punch up front with the nice buring sensation in the back of the throat after sip. The spices and roastiness really propel the overall flavor of the beer with a subtle malt presence.

M: medium body with light carbonation and a great spicey finish on the back of the throat.

D: drank amazingly good for a spicy smoked porter. It is the best spicey smoked beer I've had so far. I will seek this beer out every time they brew it. I know it pretty limited and brewed once a year I think. I hope they bottle it one day.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Had this special brew at the 10 Year Russian Imperial Stout Tasting event at Stone Brewing Co. for the kick-off to San Diego Beer Week.
Appearance/Smell: What can I say other than this is a smoked porter. Dark apperance with rather nice two finger head. Chipotle Pepper aroma just gives this porter a unique style, burnt wood along with that spicy aroma.
Taste/Mouthfeel: Taste has all the makings of dark roasted malt/caramel giving way to those chipotle peppers. Being a salsa guy here in the desert southwest, love that spicy tinge at the back of my throat. Even though I liked the taste and feel, I don't see myself having this special brew often.

1.18/5  rDev -69.3%

A - dark coffee with a white, slightly tanned, two finger head that stuck around.

S - sour, off-hay like.

T - the taste began with a water nose. I tasted nothing else but water. This was followed by a burning sensation in the my throat. No spice, just burn. The burn was something similar to swallowing pepper spray. The finish was dirty and pestered my palate for quite some time. As Ralph from The Simpsons said, "It tastes like burning".

M - far too watery for an acceptable Porter .

D - I think I've made my point.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%

TEMP: Approx 45 degrees
Served from a Stone 1L Growler Aquired via trade

This pours a dark copper/amber color. It's slightly murky looking. A very thin, tan colored, head forms and quickly recedes. There is not much lacing to speak of.

The nose has a big smokiness. Lots of smoked malt notes. Hints of dark chocolates. Nice notes of wood smoke. Hints of char. Very good hint of spicey, smokey peppers. Traces of leather and tobacco.

This is bigger and more smoke filled than 'regular' Stone Smoked Porter. The smoke level is boosted, almost to the level of Schlenkerla. Good presence of smoked maltiness and campfire smoke. Lots of leather notes. Smoked pepper (chipotle) notes are very nice. The finish is smooth and mildly dry. Then the pepper heat kicks in. It's really more of an aftertaste, but it's really good and not easily overlooked. It's enough heat to make you reach for another drink, to cool it down. The heat builds with each successive swallow, until you've got a nice level of burning going on your throat...and yet, you still want more.

Full-bodied, but with a mild level of carbonation that makes it seem thin. It would really benefit from a slight boost here. Smooth, but seriously lacking in creaminess.

The heat build-up could certainly be a bit too much for some people, I'd think. I like it, though. I'd love for Stone to put out something like this on a semi-regular basis. Very good.

4.38/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just received this brew from mikedashg in a recent trade. I've been wanting to try this brew for quite some time as I love Chili Beers and Smoked Porters. Comes filled in a very attractive 1 Litre swing top bottle. Drank from my Ithaca Excelsior tulip while watching the NFL 2009 opener (Tennessee vs Pittsburg).

Appearance- Pours a dark brownish ruby red with a very nice one finger creamy tan head. A thin cap and collar remain after the head finally dissipates along with quite a bit of spotty lacing.
Smell- Smoky and nice with a deep sort of woody earthiness. Dark fruits (nothing really in particular, just a deep dark fruitiness) and a touch of vanilla peak in as well. The roast isn't particularly deep but I'm sure it's muted quite a bit by the smoked malts. Nothing really in particular that says 'chipotle'... Just smells like Stones regular Smoked Porter.
Taste- Starts with a very twangy sort of crack on my tongue that is somewhere between citric and waxy. The smoke is more subtle in the taste than in the nose but it does linger quite a bit. BBQ and coffee beans sneak in adding a dry sort of chalkiness as does a tinge of cocoa nibs. Like the nose the chipotle adds no real flavor but it does leave a nice spicy linger in the finish. The spice is f'n perfect but if it didn't have that spicy linger I don't think I'd know the difference between this and the regular Smoked Porter.
Mouthfeel- Nice silky smooth feel with a fairly nice scrubbing from the semi aggressive carbonation.
Drinkability- Nice beer that I enjoyed quite a bit. Like I said earlier I love Chili brews but I have to sort of have the right mindset. This was perfect in this opening night situation. Not a hell of a lot different than the regular Smoked Porter but a treat none-the-less. Thanks much Mike!

3.85/5  rDev +0.3%

Enjoyed this beer as part of the East vs. West Throwdown at Pazzo's.

Beginning with the base beer, Stone Smoked Porter (highly recommended), this beer takes on a whole new world of intensity because of the chipotle character. While the flavors of the chilis compliment the cocoa flavors of the beer very well, the fresh vegitable taste is largely lost in the heat of the peppers. Very warm, er... hot, this beer is a heartburn just waiting to happen. The heat of the peppers amplify the alcohols and the bitterness of the more coffee-like characteristics of the Porter. Because of the heat and intensity, it becomes difficult to descern the smoke flavor of the beer from that of the peppers- though this is a great subtlety, the smoke flavor is dimenished a bit too much.

Though a challenge to drink, I appreciate the experimental nature of the beer. Unfortunately it's one and done for me.

3.8/5  rDev -1%

Had this at Pazzo's in Lexington. Pours a dark brown/black color with an off-white head that hangs around for quite a while. The aroma doesn't have a lot of the spicy chipotle in it, it's mostly roasted and chocolate malt with a touch of smokiness. Smells good. The chipotle comes through big time in the flavor. It's quite spicy in the back of the throat and on the tongue. The background has a nice roast and chocolate malt character and there is a moderate amount of smokiness to it as well. But the chipotles take the main stage and give off quite a bit of heat. I got a pint of this and wished I had the opportunity to have a half-pint. The body is fairly thick, but I had some trouble with the drinkability due to the heat.

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Pours a deep, dark brown, almost black with a creamy caramel head.

S - Scents of chocolate and roasted malts give way to spicy peppers.

T - Smoky, roasted barley tones swirl around my my mouth. The spiciness of the chipolte pepper comes later and defines the finish. Smoky, zesty, very flavorful.

M - Medium body and very lightly carbonated.

D - I was a little skeptical initially, but this one really won me over. The peppers provide zest, spice, and some heat, but its not overpowering. Even so, I'm not sure if I would make this a session brew. Another interesting beer from such an imaginative brewery.

Smoked Porter - Chipotle from Stone Brewing Co.