Smoked Porter - Chipotle - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - ChipotleSmoked Porter - Chipotle

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter - Chipotle Alström Bros
Reviews: 318 | Hads: 1,263
3.68/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A- Pours an almost black, very dark brown in color. Just the tiniest bit of light makes it through the body of the pour, giving a very slightly red tone to the drink. A small to average sized head forms and has decent retention. Lacing is good.

S- Starts off with a fairly smokey scent that mixes in with dark roasted malts. Not much chipotle or pepper flavor to be found in the scent except for a small amount at the very end.

T- Starts off smokey and dark just like the scent. Smoke flavor leads nicely into the dark malts before a slight peppery flavor from the chipotle kicks in. Smokiness returns a little at the end with the lingering flavor on the tongue being dark malts and just a continuing touch of the pepper.

M- This one feels just like the regular smoked porter, with a fairly high level of carbonation and a light to medium weight on the tongue. Pepper flavor isn't too strong, so it is still nice and easy to drink.

Overall, this is a good addition to the smoked porter variant line up. Not quite as good as the vanilla version, but still very good.

3.67/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bomber poured into a 10 oz snifter
A: mahogany with thin white foamy head that produces moderate lacing.
S: subdued smoke, coffee and roasted barley. I didn't pick up the peppers.
T: more of the same but the chipotle was there up front and around every corner. Dry finish, as expected, but with chipotle. I'm not complaining though. It was not overbearing, but rather refreshing!
M: medium-bodied with a dry finish.
O: outstanding representation of American porter style with the added bonus of smoke and chipotle. Very refreshing brew!

3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

Poured from 22 oz bottle into snifter.

A: Dark mahogany brown with some slight red tint. Two finger off white foamy head with nice retention and lacing.

S: Light smoke, roasted malts, some coffee, hot sauce.

T: Roasted malts mixed with all kind of peppers. Lots of roasty and smoked goodness. Everything you want in a nice porter with big pepper heat.

M: Thin and dry as expected. Typical of a good porter.

O: Much like the standard smoked porter from Stone, this is very nice and easy drinking. The peppers bring a big punch of flavor to the party. It borders on overpowering the rest of the brew.

3.69/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle at fridge temp poured into a snifter.

Pours out a really dark ruby brown color. Light tan head with average retention. Spotty lace.

Smoke is big and foremost on the aroma. A little bit of campfire with a hint of smoked meat. Not really picking up much pepper.

Much better taste. Nice balance of smoke and heat. Peat smoke with a little campfire, a touch of a jalapeño flavor with good Heat. Hints of lighter roasted malt. A bit of a lingering hop bitterness in the finish.

Light to medium in body. Maybe could've used a touch more body, but then again it is a porter.

A nice take on this classic beer. The chipotles showed nicely which doesn't always happen in beers like this.

2.88/5  rDev -25%

Hard for me to review this beer, because I am just straight up not a fan of the whole "spicy pepper in beer" thing that has been going on lately. I just don't get it; spice and beer are not flavors that suit eachother in my opinion. That being said, the beer is well made: all of the things you would expect from a good smoked porter are there. Roasty malts, coffee and bitter chocolate, silky smooth texture, dark as pitch... And then there's some spice and chipotle flavor. Totally kills it for me.

Overall, well made beer, just not my thing.

4.03/5  rDev +4.9%

A: pours a dark brown almost black with a tan head that went down quickly. Clear
S: roasted malt, lager yeast smell, smell a little pepper,
T: heat and chipotle definitely come through, very toasty flavor, was not expecting to be that much chipotle pepper flavor as it doesn't come through on the nose as much, also a little smoky, it's kinda like roasted peppers in a glass
M: medium bodies, medium carbonation
O: wow is there a lot of heat in this thing

4.04/5  rDev +5.2%

A: Pours a cola colored brown with 2 fingers of head that fades down to a nice cap that leaves decent lacing

S: Roasted malts, dark chocolate, a hint of cocoa and smoke, and a light spicy presence from the peppers

T: Follows the nose. Starts off with some roastiness and light sweetness and goes into some dark chocolate and smoke. The chipotle peppers come through after the brief sweetness and linger on well into the finish

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth

O: The peppers definitely provide a nice distinct angle on the base beer. They work nicely with the light smokiness and help to dial down any residual sweetness. The 5.9% abv makes this quite quaffable as well. Solid limited release

3.64/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle poured into a snifter

A- Dark brown with a three finger light tan head

S- Smoky, some chipotle peppers, some bitter chocolate, some roasted malts.

T- Really smoky, some roasted peppers, a small amount of heat from the peppers, roasted malts, some pine.

M- Smooth, light to medium body.

O- Really just a smoked beer with hints of heat from the peppers. I am happy that I was able to try this. I am not sure I would buy this again to drink, but would like to try to cooking with it.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is dark amber with an off white head.
Smell is roasted and chocolatey.
In the taste, roasted malt, acrid and hop bitterness, with a small pepper element that provides a slight spice but more of a warming element.
Medium bodied, well carbonated brew with a Chipolte flavor, as well as building heat.

3.63/5  rDev -5.5%

Pours very dark reddish brown with a thin tan head.

Smells like a porter, roasted grain, acrid

Tastes start like a traditional porter but a warmth from the peppers kicks in near the end. The smokiness takes a back seat to the peppers. The pepper heat lingers after a taste.

Medium bodied and medium carbonation, pretty easy drinking.

Overall, decent smoked porter, the peppers tend to get a little overbearing by the end of a 22oz bottle.

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

$9.99 bomber. Enjoy by date of ?/03/14, presumably scratched off because it's past the date, but even if it is, it's only May 1st... the number that was there looks like a 3, so maybe enjoy by 3/03/14? Poured into a shaker pint. I'm a bit confused, because the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter I got from the same store three months ago was $7. The store had a 20% of bombers sale for this week, so I paid $8, but still...

Appearance: Perfectly clear ruby black color with about two fingers of an off-white, soapy head. Lots of lacing. Great looking beer -- just as I recall the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter looking like (yes, I'll be comparing this beer to that one a decent bit).

Smell: I've had a few chipotle infused beers and smoked porters, and this one smells as I remember those ones. Smokey beef jerky sort of quality because of the smoked malts, a bit of roasted chipotle, and a slight Band-Aid sort of aroma that I always seem to pick up on in smoked porters.

Taste/feel: First thought is that this is likely the spiciest pepper infused beer I've had, or close to it. It's not overwhelmingly spicy, but there's a split second of heat in the back of the throat. It's not a very appetizing comparison, but I liken it to when you get a bit of acid reflux. I don't get it on my tongue at first, just the very back of my throat, for some reason. As I continue to drink it, the warmth spreads and I can feel it everywhere, though it's still a fairly mild, maybe moderate for most people, heat... and I like spicy food. I'm a bit surprised that I've heard/read some reviewers say they want MORE spice. Maybe I got a spicier batch? The recipe changed a bit? I don't know, but mine's perfectly hot. The flavor is like the smell for the most part. It's quite nice, but a bit lacking. Woody flavor, jerky, smoke, deep roasted malt, heat from the chipotle (but almost no real flavor from it)... it's just good, not great. The mouth feel is very good, as it has a medium sort of creaminess to it with a moderate carbonation that accentuates the chipotle heat a little bit more.

I'm surprised I like this one so much less than the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter -- I guess the vanilla just added a lot more depth for me. This beer has a beautiful pour and great mouthfeel, but that's about where it ends. The taste of this one just isn't quite doing it for me. I don't mind the level of heat, but I wish Stone would tone back on it to focus a bit more on some roasted characteristics or something along those lines -- maybe a chocolate sort of flavor. Like I said, I can definitely get the similarities of this beer with Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter with the beer's base, but I guess the chipotle just doesn't add as much to the base as the vanilla bean did for me.

3.61/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type: 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks good in the glass, dark but light can be seen when held up to light, tan creamy head with lots of tiny bubbles, nice lacing.

Smell: I got the smoky chipotle aroma right up front, impressive, I dig the smell. Roasted malt on the back end. An interesting aroma.

Taste: The smell is better than taste, I was getting the roasted malt first, then some smoky chipotle taste, and a little bit of spice at the end. The spice lingers more than any other flavor.

Mouthfeel: NIce carbonation, decent mouthfeel not a thick beer but a regular porter mouthfeel like I have tasted in Sierra Nevada porter.

Overall: It's a good beer, nice smoky flavor, a beer I would drink with a spicy dish. I eat a lot of spicy foods but this one gets no one near my level of tolerance. A little pricey, I paid $2.99 for a 12 ounce bottle which equals $18 a six pack. Unless I can find it cheaper somewhere else, probably won't purchase again.

3.92/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

I poured this into a standard 12-oz mug. The beer is very dark--completely opaque--with a small but lasting head of tan foam. The aroma is great--wonderful maltiness, with a light smokiness, and a sharp scent of chiles. Taste mirrors this. There's a good black patent malt flavor, but it doesn't dominate, and lets the smoky flavor come through well--a nice subtle smokiness I should add. The phenols are not overpowering. The chipotle taste is more apparent in the aroma than to taste, but there's still there if you look--especially at the finish. The body is a little thin and watery, the only downside to this beer. Otherwise, very drinkable.

4.26/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Bottle has aged, but I don't have a exact time. It's been less than a year.

Nose has hint of smoke and earthiness.

Mouthfeel is smooth with a light-medium body with chipotle bouncing off the back of the tongue.

Taste is well balanced with even keel of smoke and peppers.

Overall, this hits all the right areas for me. Porter, smoked, chipotle peppers, sitting on my deck in the rain, smoking a duck at high noon! Does life get any better?

3.19/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

(Previous review, transferred from beer journal)

Stone Smoked Porter with Chipotle Peppers:

Appearance: solid black, hint of reddish brown if angled just right;

Smell: hint of red pepper;

Taste/Mouthfeel: pretty hoppy, slight waxy sweetness, no pepper/smoky taste;

Poured into a pint glass.

2.61/5  rDev -32%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer should have been right up my alley, both being a porter and also having chipotle, but I was really disappointed by the beer.

The pour out of the 12oz bottle was fine, about what you would expect from a porter, but that is where the problems started. Immediately I could smell the smoke with hints of the pepper, but more just overwhelmingly smoke.

Just like the smell the taste was just of the smoke, with a hint of the pepper. Everything was just muted, with no tastes popping, which I am hoping was just the beer being too old, and not the taste of the beer. I would not rule out oxygenation as the culprit to me not liking the taste, but overall it was just not a good experience.

3.89/5  rDev +1.3%

A- pours dark brown with just a bit of light creeping through, two-finger thick and creamy light-tan head lasts forever after the pour, leaving some nice lace behind, can't imaging a porter looking better than this

S- lightly roasted and smoky malt gives a little bit of chocolate aroma. I can actually smell the peppers more than I thought I'd be able to, it's like hot pepper extract and actually gives a little bit of bandaid aroma

T- the base porter itself is light and smoky with subtle chocolate notes and some earthy notes. The heat from the pepper is subtle and doesn't kick in until after swallowing the beer, a bit of heat fills the mouth. The pepper flavor itself is also subtle, but noticeable

M- medium body with low carbonation, creamy and thick mouthfeel leads to a silky smooth finish, heat follows in the back end

O- and interesting take on a porter. The base beer itself is pretty good, but I feel like it needed a little more smokiness to match up with the pepper flavor. As I'm finishing this, the pepper is becoming more noticeable in the palate. Definitely worth a try and might go well with certain foods

4.1/5  rDev +6.8%

Aroma: Peppers, chocolate, earthy

Appearance: Pitch black with off-white head

Taste: Peppers, chocolate, dark malts, earthy, smoky bitterness

Palate: Medium body, nice initial spiceness and finish. Spice is subdued, but still present and well integrated into the beer. Fair amount of bitterness that sticks around well past the finish.

Overall: Really tasty, nicely integrated pepper spice. I've had spicier, and more flavorful, but in terms of overall balance and integration for a pepper beer best I've had thus far.

3.95/5  rDev +2.9%

P: Dark black non transparent body with a dollop of tan bubbly head that quickly diminishes to a choppy wake.

S: The first whiff reminds me of opening a paint can. The smoke is light and smells real. The chipotle pepper is dominate but blends well with the bitter-sweet chocolate. Mesquite wood chips, breakfast blend coffee and hints of cardboard.

T/M: Taste follows the nose but really brings the peppery bite that I expected. The heat presence is timid and similar to roasting peppers where you get more of the pepper flavor than the hotness. Full body that is almost chewy and spicy carbonation. While swirling it in your mouth the heat gets more aggressive.

O: Hands down one of the best smoked beers I've ever had. The smoke is natural and not overpowering of the other flavors. The heat and flavor from the peppers really makes this a terrific treat. I love swishing it around and letting the heat build.

3.99/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

12oz to snifter, can't see a freshness date but I think it's probably pretty old

Pours a very solid black, some dark red hues on the sides when held up to the sun. There was a half finger of foam that receded pretty quickly leaving a ring around the edge of the glass. No carbonation, alright lacing, of course no transparency

Smells of toasted malts, faint chilli, molasses, coffee, cherry, oak, tobacco, chocolate, hops, and alcohol. Nice complexity, everything comes together well leaving a pretty good smell

Taste is pretty solid, up front coffee and fig notes, dark fruits, pepper, oak, vanilla, chocolate, brown sugar, some hops, and a touch of alcohol. Though it doesn't meld the best, each flavor stands out at some point traveling across the palate making it pretty interesting. The peppers are pretty mild, which may well be due to age, in which case I think I'd prefer this over to a fresh one. I like the touch of the spice, any more would be too much

The feel is sort of rough, stings the tongue a bit and just reminded me I bit the inside of my lip this morning with some fire. Body is medium/full and pretty creamy with a smooth finish. I could knock one or two of these back, but that'd be as far as I'd go regarding drink-ability

Overall this stuff is pretty interesting. It's got a lot going on but like I find with all chilli beers, is a bit too obscure to want on a regular basis. I say try it, just think twice on buying a bunch at one time

4.12/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Found this one in Toledo and couldn't pass it up - the regular Smoked Porter is one of my favorite Stone brews. This one pours a deep, crow-black with some very, very dark brown tints right at the edges. The khaki head shows nice retention and leaves plenty of that "signature" Stone lacing.

Bringing the glass anywhere near your nose unleashes an army of smoked malts into your senses - I don't think there's any surprise there. A very "hearty" smoke aroma; meaty, in a way - almost like the smell given off by smoked sausage and bacon. Very nicely balance between "not enough smoke" and "too much smoke" - there seems to be just the right amount, something I fell in love with about their original Smoked Porter. The chilies are noticeable, but seemingly only at the tail end. They provide a nice spiciness, but remain pretty low in character overall.

I take a taste and of course it reminds me of the non-chipotle version. Actually, for about the first few sips or so, this beer is probably indistinguishable with the original. Good, liquid smoke flavors coming from the smoked malts with a lightly smoked meatiness to it. The chipotle doesn't come out until the very tail end, just like in the aroma, and even then - it still takes many successive sips to settle in. Mild spiciness, chili powder, and chipotle seasoning attach themselves to the back of your tongue. Halfway down the glass, your palate has a solid spicy coating that will stick with you until minutes after you've finished the beer. A nice addition, and done in a pretty masterful way - providing good spice without being "spicy", so to speak. Medium mouth feel, lightly creamy with ample carbonation.

The chipotle was a nice, fun addition that added a slight bit of heat to the palate throughout the entire course of the beer. Overall, though, I'd rather just have the regular Smoked Porter. At the end of the day, Stone has created an elegant porter with plenty of nice smokey and malty flavors - why cover it up with chipotle?

3.74/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle watching Butler and Marquette tussle with elbows for a spot in the Sweet Sixteen.

Experimenting with extra flavors in an already superior brew proves here to be fun, but not an improvement over the OG. Appearance is the classic porter total solar eclipse. Thick head, of course. Olfactory stimulation of the expected sort: smoke, roasted malt, with latent jalepeño. Feels mighty nice against the gums. Bubbly smooth but creamy dreamy. The taste is complex, with the roasty toasty malt porter delicious coming initially, and the Mexican chili busting thru on delay. Swell enough for certain, but I'm daydreaming of ol' Stone Smoked Porter.

3.75/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a half-pint chalice.

A: Hazy, medium brown color showing light penetration at the margins, with less than one finger of diminishing light beige foam head. Scant lacing remains on the glass.

S: A combination of brown and crystal malt qualities combine to yield earthy, husky, and slightly spirituous smells.

T: Begins dry, with powdery earth, mild cocoa, and dark caramel. Heat begins to develop into the middle, but remains tasteful and respectful of the palate throughout. The finish remains dry, with a lingering combination of earth, dark fruit, and appealing chile spice. Flavors are dynamic late, finally concluding with intense toasted crackers.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, warming on the palate over time, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: Strong all-around, but for a chile beer this version of Stone Smoked Porter is particularly effective. Favorably drinkable due to restrained but detectable chile presence, it is more than a novelty and never a chore to drink. Beware of this beer when it is available on cask service--legend has it that heat varies widely.

2.84/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured a thin head on a black body.
The aroma is roasted malt with a quick hit of chipotle pepper smoke at the end.
The taste gets lost between the smoke and chili, neither which is overpowering. It's a bit watery with a pepper taste. The chipotle comes back at the end for a warm finish.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
I like chili beers, but this just didn't mix well together.

3.76/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz bottle without bottling date, poured into a Bell's tulip and consumed today 3/10/13

Aroma: Hints of some sort of spicy pepper, and I wonder if that's from the power of suggestion from the name. I can definitely vouch for the smokiness of the beer as well as the roasty character of the malt. Pretty solidly average nose on this porter. (3)

Colour: Pours a dark cola brown, nearly black with a generous 3cm beige head that dissipates over 2-3 minutes. Very nice looking. Lacing becomes a nice thick collar that clings to the side of the glass that I drink from. Really a nice looking porter. (4)

Flavour: Now I'm definitely not imagining the pepper bite. So in the front end, I get a nice smokiness accompanied by the sweet, roasty character that I come to expect from porters. But midway and through the back-end, there is quite a bit of pepper bite that definitely is not shy about making itself known. It's very interesting and enjoyable to drink. (4)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, carbonated well. Not quite a smooth drinker for some reason, but the spicy aftertaste coats the tongue rather well and I have to drink this one carefully as the spicy aftertaste definitely lingers for quite some time. Really neat. (4)

Overall: Very interesting beer! I like the spicy aftertaste as this makes the overall porter much more interesting. In terms of what makes this a porter though, I basically just get the smokiness. Not as much of the robust, rounded sweetness that comes with a typical porter- I'm thinking of flavours such as dark fruits, caramel, coffee, chocolate. It's dominated by the chipotle pepper which is the point of the beer. It doesn't overshadow the relative lack of porter characteristics in my opinion. But the fact remains that the flavour profile is different and I won't begrudge it for that. (4)

Smoked Porter - Chipotle from Stone Brewing Co.