Smoked Porter - Chipotle - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - ChipotleSmoked Porter - Chipotle

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

Beer added by: Westsidethreat on 05-07-2007

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,251 | Reviews: 320

3.63/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance is dark amber with an off white head.
Smell is roasted and chocolatey.
In the taste, roasted malt, acrid and hop bitterness, with a small pepper element that provides a slight spice but more of a warming element.
Medium bodied, well carbonated brew with a Chipolte flavor, as well as building heat.

3.63/5  rDev -4%

Pours very dark reddish brown with a thin tan head.

Smells like a porter, roasted grain, acrid

Tastes start like a traditional porter but a warmth from the peppers kicks in near the end. The smokiness takes a back seat to the peppers. The pepper heat lingers after a taste.

Medium bodied and medium carbonation, pretty easy drinking.

Overall, decent smoked porter, the peppers tend to get a little overbearing by the end of a 22oz bottle.

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

$9.99 bomber. Enjoy by date of ?/03/14, presumably scratched off because it's past the date, but even if it is, it's only May 1st... the number that was there looks like a 3, so maybe enjoy by 3/03/14? Poured into a shaker pint. I'm a bit confused, because the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter I got from the same store three months ago was $7. The store had a 20% of bombers sale for this week, so I paid $8, but still...

Appearance: Perfectly clear ruby black color with about two fingers of an off-white, soapy head. Lots of lacing. Great looking beer -- just as I recall the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter looking like (yes, I'll be comparing this beer to that one a decent bit).

Smell: I've had a few chipotle infused beers and smoked porters, and this one smells as I remember those ones. Smokey beef jerky sort of quality because of the smoked malts, a bit of roasted chipotle, and a slight Band-Aid sort of aroma that I always seem to pick up on in smoked porters.

Taste/feel: First thought is that this is likely the spiciest pepper infused beer I've had, or close to it. It's not overwhelmingly spicy, but there's a split second of heat in the back of the throat. It's not a very appetizing comparison, but I liken it to when you get a bit of acid reflux. I don't get it on my tongue at first, just the very back of my throat, for some reason. As I continue to drink it, the warmth spreads and I can feel it everywhere, though it's still a fairly mild, maybe moderate for most people, heat... and I like spicy food. I'm a bit surprised that I've heard/read some reviewers say they want MORE spice. Maybe I got a spicier batch? The recipe changed a bit? I don't know, but mine's perfectly hot. The flavor is like the smell for the most part. It's quite nice, but a bit lacking. Woody flavor, jerky, smoke, deep roasted malt, heat from the chipotle (but almost no real flavor from it)... it's just good, not great. The mouth feel is very good, as it has a medium sort of creaminess to it with a moderate carbonation that accentuates the chipotle heat a little bit more.

I'm surprised I like this one so much less than the Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter -- I guess the vanilla just added a lot more depth for me. This beer has a beautiful pour and great mouthfeel, but that's about where it ends. The taste of this one just isn't quite doing it for me. I don't mind the level of heat, but I wish Stone would tone back on it to focus a bit more on some roasted characteristics or something along those lines -- maybe a chocolate sort of flavor. Like I said, I can definitely get the similarities of this beer with Vanilla Bean Smoked Porter with the beer's base, but I guess the chipotle just doesn't add as much to the base as the vanilla bean did for me.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

3.61/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Serving Type: 12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Looks good in the glass, dark but light can be seen when held up to light, tan creamy head with lots of tiny bubbles, nice lacing.

Smell: I got the smoky chipotle aroma right up front, impressive, I dig the smell. Roasted malt on the back end. An interesting aroma.

Taste: The smell is better than taste, I was getting the roasted malt first, then some smoky chipotle taste, and a little bit of spice at the end. The spice lingers more than any other flavor.

Mouthfeel: NIce carbonation, decent mouthfeel not a thick beer but a regular porter mouthfeel like I have tasted in Sierra Nevada porter.

Overall: It's a good beer, nice smoky flavor, a beer I would drink with a spicy dish. I eat a lot of spicy foods but this one gets no one near my level of tolerance. A little pricey, I paid $2.99 for a 12 ounce bottle which equals $18 a six pack. Unless I can find it cheaper somewhere else, probably won't purchase again.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Smoked Porter - Chipotle from Stone Brewing Co.