Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.91% ABV

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-14-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002 Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
mickeymac

4.4/5  rDev +3.3%

Spring 2002 release. 9.91 ABV according to the bottle. The head faded rather quickly. With an ingredient list including "tons o' Hops," I was expecting more bitterness. I found it to be a bit lighter on hops than other barley wines and very drinkable now. The malty sweetness is nicely balanced by a bit of spice. All in all, pretty good stuff.

04-14-2002 21:08:37 | More by mickeymac
Gusler

Arizona

4.43/5  rDev +4%

Vintage 2002 Release: The pleasure of buying beer by the case is having it around to review when you realize you never put down your notes.

The beer departs the 22-ounce brown bottle a deep copper to almost brown with a moderate sized head and the texture frothy with the color a beauteous light tan, as it slowly recedes the residual lace forms a thick and sealing sheet upon the glass. Nose is rich in fusel alcohol, sweet buttered popcorn comes to mind, fresh and pleasing to the senses, and start is rich in malt, quite sweet and the top moderate to full in feel. Finish is pleasantly acidic, the hops docile in their spiciness, the aftertaste sweet and dry with a definite alcohol bite and a nice tummy warmer to be sure, better than when it was fresh, not sure about that, but still damn good.

08-18-2004 18:24:27 | More by Gusler
mzwolinski

4.45/5  rDev +4.5%

Deep mahogany in color, head starts off about finger thick and fades to a creamy sticky lace that rides the whole way down.

Aroma is really nice, molasses sweet with hints of spices, diacetyl, alcohol, hops and fruit aroma (raisins, I think).

The taste is dominated by a deep malt body, and the warming taste and flavor of alcohol. The finish is heavily hopped enough for a well-balanced, slightly dry finish, but the combination of intense malt and alcohol warmth is what will stick with you. Very pleasant after-effect.

A nice, very full-bodied, viscous beer. Quite similar to their notched-up strong ale, though a bit hoppier, I think, and with a bit different fermentive character.

09-17-2002 06:37:30 | More by mzwolinski
kbub6f

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

"Limited Spring '02 Release!!", bought online, served 52F, reviewed 52F-65F.

The head is a dense, cream-colored foam that collapses to a thin film with minimal lacing. The color is a slightly opaque red/brown, with orangey highlights. There is little visible carbonation.

The smell is sweet with grapes, alcohol and candy. There are hints of caramel and a slight creaminess. The front is sweet and creamy. The middle is alcohol and grapes with tons of malt. As the beer warms, that creamy flavor kicks in. The finish is generously hoppy with hints of grapefruit. The mouthfeel is thick and smooth.

This is a great tasting beer. It comes off a little sweet, but with such generous hopping, it's probably better that way. The alcohol is well hidden making this a lot more drinkable than I expected. Dangerously drinkable. It reminds me of Bigfoot, but I think it's smoother, rounder and warmer. A delicious, big beer.

02-12-2003 19:52:38 | More by kbub6f
ggroller

4.5/5  rDev +5.6%

Traded with Swillinbrew who was nice enough to part with this gem.

Beautiful silk screened bottle.

The beer is a translucent amber colored liquid with a finger's width of a soft,wispy head.

Lots of different aromas float past the nose. Vanilla, candied sugar, brown sugar. Slightly alchoholic.

Tastes of sweet brown sugar, vanilla, and raisins. A little bit of butter in the finish. Very nice and very well rounded. I did not have the 2002 fresh but I imagine the last three years helped this brew mellow to the delicious state it is in at the moment.

Velty smooth and creamy mouthfeel.

What a pleasurable beer.

12-29-2005 23:55:32 | More by ggroller
beerguy101

4.58/5  rDev +7.5%

Red amber color, medium color. Intense malt flavor, nicely balanced by a spicy hoppiness. A big full-bodied barley wine. Full flavor. Big expansive beer, yet very smooth taste. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and smooth. Aftertaste is malty sweet with a touch of bitterness. Really nice barley wine. Will probably bottle age well. Etched beer bottle.

09-25-2003 02:42:55 | More by beerguy101
BeerManDan

4.6/5  rDev +8%

The best barley wine beer so far that I've ever tasted. Well balance, with a hint of carmel and a hint of raisn's. Good balance of sweetness, alcohol and bitterness. Also I like the balance of malt and hop's. Love the thickness of this beer. Easy to consume and very enjoyable!

07-02-2002 14:27:24 | More by BeerManDan
hyuga

4.65/5  rDev +9.2%

At first I had my doubts about opening this, "I might not be able to get any more of this year's," I thought. When I got it out, got it to the right temperature, then cracked it and poured it, I developed this evil smirk on my face, which grew as the aroma hit me. You know, that psychiatric ward look. That "I'm about to savor a Stone limited release" look. That devil inside of you that pops up on your shoulder and tells you to crack it had taken hold of me. "You don't have to save it, you have to savor it, drink it! Now!" And so I (not so unwillingly) obey its command... The aroma hits HARD. I can't comment on the appearance first, the aroma is first here. Very strong citrus hops with a hint of alcohol, which actually creates a burning sensation in your nostrils. That sounds bad? No, it's GOOD. It tells you that this beer is gigantic, humongous, all-powerful. It has you in its clutches. A sinful dark reddish brown sits under a small, yet persistent cream-colored head. The calm before the storm is over, those clouds are getting darker and the rumble of thunder is getting closer. WHAM! It's here! Devilishly smooth, then the smack of thunderous hops! Huge caramel malt marches on with piney bitter hops by its side. Alcohol presence is very noticeable as well. Comes to a bitter end and then goes down silky smooth. Although hops are big, malt is truly the culprit here. A beer adventure. A dastardly, bastardly demon of a barleywine that is perfectly fit for the job of being the "guardian" of Stone brews. Drink it now! Your inner evil commands you!

10-31-2002 02:32:26 | More by hyuga
feloniousmonk

4.72/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance: a burnt sienna hue, dark and fully opaque orange, with a big, bubbling, creamy head.
Aroma: hugely hoppy, but still mellow, and thoroughly wel-integrated, which, we will see, is the theme of this brew, gentle, perfect, oh, me, oh, my, how everything fits together, warm, fruity (cherries, grapes), lively, complex, heavenly, and altogether well suited to itself.
Taste: Oh! My! God! Fruity-flavored, and rich in every degree, malt-fortified, and hop-enriched, as with the best barleywines, they all do their part and make the perfect match, no ingredient or aspect sticking above any other.
This is the very perfect picture of a barleywine, tingly, tasty, rich, delicious, an incredible combination of all the things that I love best, well-blended, well-appointed...could this get get any better? Oh, no!

In my custody by the virtue of generous BA, Mr. Longestofthe BeachBums, consumed in the gracious company, and with help from fellow BA Steorn (believe me, if I'd had it alone, I wouldn't be able to type this, let alone check my spelling!@#$UA-09i8uI+^?K??).
Magnificent stuff, Stone! You're the best!

11-27-2003 04:41:49 | More by feloniousmonk
Bierman9

New Hampshire

4.78/5  rDev +12.2%

Wow!! What a bier to end the work-week and start a vacation with! A good friend of mine came across this and, knowing I love "good" bier, let me have it! Gorgeous auburn color, with a small, fine, thin head and some lace. The good appearance rating is due to the color....I love it....wish my wife's hair was that color!! (But I digress...) Nose was a superb, strong combo of sweet, raisiny notes, alcohol, and hops. Whoa! Mouthfeel? Real good body, almost chewy, and real smooth. Sweet, rich, malty flavor to lead-off, some caramel notes present; almost similar to some Doppelbocks. Follows-up with a kick-ass hop finish, and it makes it's way down the hatch in a real warming fashion. Damn, I love this bier! How can I get another? Prosit!!

overall: 4.75
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 4.5

06-28-2002 16:08:29 | More by Bierman9
BlindPig

4.8/5  rDev +12.7%

A- about a 1/4" tan head on a deep amber body that is a bit clear but a bit cloudy (clearest one out of 00-02). Has a little bit of a lacing in the middle with a nice white collar and a decent amount (for the collar size) sticking to the side of the glass.
S- Caramel malts play a big part in this one with a helping of alcohol. Really sweet and hops maybe consist of citrus and grass mixture. Maybe even a slight roasted smell? A bit of fruit too but not a lot.
T- A nice blanket of caramel malt is laid down with the stiching being a nice light roasted flavor. On top of this we have a good deal of sugar making it really sweet. Alcohol comes into play next covering the tongue. Has a nice kind warming to it the kind you would hope for on a nice cold autumn night. Some light citrus flavors come in after that. Maybe some light grapefruit, lemon, and orange. A nice bitterness acts like the sky for all of this (it is there but not intruding on anything just giving it light so you can see everything). Maybe even a hint of darker fruits come into play. All of this is very smooth and delightful. There is also a nice light oak flavor through all of this too.
M- Low carbonation making for a very smooth and appealing strong brew. It has just the right body to put all this big complex and well blended flavors on also.
D- This is an excellent brew. Not quite a 2000 but it does out due the 2001. Has a lot smoother feel to it. Not quite as harsh and is more welcoming (but be careful since that can bite you in the ass quite quickly too).

This may be my most elaborate review yet.

12-06-2006 02:52:13 | More by BlindPig
Bighuge

4.83/5  rDev +13.4%

Various years of the Old Guardian have become blended in one set of reviews. I couldn't add this to that set since I recently reviewed the 2001 edition. So I added a date to the name and created a new beer category.

This clear mohagany brew throws a nice dense off-white head. The aroma is pretty hoppy with a hint of alcohol (not surprising). The taste is very spicy. By spicy, I mean the spiciness that alcohol and hops impart. But it is pretty refined. I really like this taste. I don't think it is as subdued as the year old Barleywine I recently tried from Stone, but this is very drinkable in my opinion. It has a nicely polished bitterness to it. (Apparantly Tomohak was the hop of choice for this brew.) There are some nice fruity tones present. A melon aspect. The body is about medium. Wow. This is really good.

After trying about 8 different styles from Stone, all of which were excellent, I would say that Stone is now my second favorite brewery after Kalamazoo.

05-13-2002 20:38:31 | More by Bighuge
Dmann

4.9/5  rDev +15%

What a awesome brew! I found a local liquor store that still has about 4 of these bottles left and I grabbed one just to start out with.
It poured a deep reddish brown color with a good head that settled into a thin foam over the top of the beer. By the smell you can tell right away that it is a Stone brew with its carmel and slightly piney scent. The mouthfeel was great, and the taste was of carmel and malt and an alchohol packed finish. Like their other heavy brews, this one just tasted better and better as it got warmer. It tasted the best right above room temp to me. I'm definantly running down to that store to buy more!

01-17-2003 01:52:02 | More by Dmann
trancesk8er

06-09-2012 04:24:06 | More by trancesk8er
jerz

11-18-2011 05:18:22 | More by jerz
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002 from Stone Brewing Co.