Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002 - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Barleywine |  9.91% ABV

Beer added by: kbub6f on 04-14-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002 Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.37/5  rDev -20.5%

Presentation: 22 oz brown bomber, “Limited Spring 02’ Release” on the label gives you an idea of freshness … not that it matters being that this brew is 9.91% abv.

Appearance: Bright and clear garnet colour, thin lace that draws back to only a ring around the glass. Little head retention.

Smell: Caramel, raisins and a mild solvent alcohol. Sweet and spicy from the malt and alcohol.

Taste: Full creamy body, moderate carbonation that adds a subtle smoothness. Big warming middling solvent alcohol that seems to hold a big portions of the balancing factor being that there is now huge hop presence like most of the other Stone ales. Huge flavours of caramel and raisins, mild astringent flavours kick in during the finish with husk and spicy alcohol.

Notes: This is so English style I’d swear it was an import. But coming from Stone Brewing, where are my damn hops!! A decent brew, cellar it if you want but you are better off drinking it right now IMO. Alcohol seems a bit over the top with the solvent character and a bit too sweet for my liking. (1,066 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The best barley wine beer so far that I've ever tasted. Well balance, with a hint of carmel and a hint of raisn's. Good balance of sweetness, alcohol and bitterness. Also I like the balance of malt and hop's. Love the thickness of this beer. Easy to consume and very enjoyable! (277 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +12%

Wow!! What a bier to end the work-week and start a vacation with! A good friend of mine came across this and, knowing I love "good" bier, let me have it! Gorgeous auburn color, with a small, fine, thin head and some lace. The good appearance rating is due to the color....I love it....wish my wife's hair was that color!! (But I digress...) Nose was a superb, strong combo of sweet, raisiny notes, alcohol, and hops. Whoa! Mouthfeel? Real good body, almost chewy, and real smooth. Sweet, rich, malty flavor to lead-off, some caramel notes present; almost similar to some Doppelbocks. Follows-up with a kick-ass hop finish, and it makes it's way down the hatch in a real warming fashion. Damn, I love this bier! How can I get another? Prosit!!

overall: 4.75
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | mouthfeel: 5 | drinkability: 4.5

224 (837 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +13.2%

Various years of the Old Guardian have become blended in one set of reviews. I couldn't add this to that set since I recently reviewed the 2001 edition. So I added a date to the name and created a new beer category.

This clear mohagany brew throws a nice dense off-white head. The aroma is pretty hoppy with a hint of alcohol (not surprising). The taste is very spicy. By spicy, I mean the spiciness that alcohol and hops impart. But it is pretty refined. I really like this taste. I don't think it is as subdued as the year old Barleywine I recently tried from Stone, but this is very drinkable in my opinion. It has a nicely polished bitterness to it. (Apparantly Tomohak was the hop of choice for this brew.) There are some nice fruity tones present. A melon aspect. The body is about medium. Wow. This is really good.

After trying about 8 different styles from Stone, all of which were excellent, I would say that Stone is now my second favorite brewery after Kalamazoo. (999 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Spring 2002 release. 9.91 ABV according to the bottle. The head faded rather quickly. With an ingredient list including "tons o' Hops," I was expecting more bitterness. I found it to be a bit lighter on hops than other barley wines and very drinkable now. The malty sweetness is nicely balanced by a bit of spice. All in all, pretty good stuff. (350 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine Style Ale 2002 from Stone Brewing Co.