Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
3.11/5  rDev -17.7%

22 oz bomber poured into snifter
Decanted at approx. 52 degrees

A - Pours a clear copper color with an admirable 3/4 inch off white head. Lacing is moderate, but pretty much only when tipped.

S - Clearly the brewers were not lying when they listed the spices on the label - ginger and cardamom are strongly apparent here, with the three peels (grapefruit, lemon and orange) forming a blend of citrus zest. Ginger is the strongest scent here, which is unfortunate for me because its one of the few flavors I don't enjoy.

T - Really similar to the scent. Ginger and cardamom out front with a bit of citrus. Slight malt sweetness and not much hop activity to detect. It's almost like the spices and citrus combine to give this a slight pumpkin flavor, resulting in something very interesting but not great.

M - Smooth with low carbonation and a light/medium body. Finish is chewy and slightly sticky with little dryness.

D - Not my favorite stone brew right now, but I have couple that will be aging for a couple of years (till 2012?!) so we'll see what happens. Hopefully the spices will calm down and let the malt and hops shine through.

3.1/5  rDev -18%

My first taste of the Vertical Epic series. I actually had a sample of it at Belgium Comes To Cooperstown before buying this 22oz bomber last week.

The fine print on the bottle suggests I should age this until 2012. I seriously lack that kind of patience so I'm opening it now at an age of 3 weeks.

Vessel of choice: Orval goblet.

Pours hazy orange-gold. Not much head to speak of, except after the pour itself. The head sticks to the side of the glass in a thin ring when all is said and done. Slight viscosity. There's an earthy/musty aroma wafting from the glass. Saison yeast? I've used it in homebrewing and it smells very similar. Also present is orange peel (coriander).

And now to taste. First impression is sourdough bread. Very yeasty. There is then some slight tartness of citrus laced with faint spiciness from either ginger, cardamom or even peppercorn. Doughiness and spice linger a while on the tongue. Warming from alcohol is barely noticeable. Very oily mouthfeel.

This is indeed a young beer which cellaring could only help. Honestly, I think it tastes good as is but the oily mouthfeel is kind of a turn-off. I imagine the flavor profile coming together a lot better with some time on the shelf.

3.1/5  rDev -18%

A - Pretty copper, somewhat murky, tonds of thick near white head. Lots of cling lace.

S - Spicy. Belgian yeast and spice are about all I get.

T - Like when you use too much salt, there is no way home. Too much spice in this beer. Overpowering.

M - See taste, balance can't be achieved for me on this one.

D - See Taste and Mouthfeel, and obviously, not sessionable for me.

3.09/5  rDev -18.3%

22oz. bottle poured into a taster glass. Thanks to Chris for sharing!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange color with plenty of sediment floaters. Some white froth formed but dissipated quickly.

(S)- A zesty spice up front. The coriander and cardamon are obvious with bits of a grassy lemon and orange zest.

(T)- A zesty spicy orange and a clove/ginger kick. A yeasty profile overall just with an extra citrus and spice punch to it.

(M)- The carbonation level has held up nicely with still a crispness to it. The spices definitely liven things up. Does get a touch bitter for me as it warmed.

(O)- I like the play of spicy esters with the citrus. Perhaps the better of the "lighter" vertical epics at this point, but debatable.

3.09/5  rDev -18.3%

an effervescent golden amber keeps a thick head afloat. as the foam subsides it applies some good lacing to the glass. the suds are pure white

the aroma is simple. that's not necessarily bad. soft hops allow a glint of sweetness to shine through. some heat

the flavor is a little unmotivating, however. reminds me of mad elf. forced, artificially spiced to emulate a belgian yeast. it's not bad; a little sweet, though

in the end not very endearing. i hope the money i'm paying to refrigerate another bottle of this is worth the final result

3.08/5  rDev -18.5%

Pours a clear orange amber with a slight head. Some lacing and a gentle swirl brings this back up. Smells fruity, yeasty, and a bit...off. Taste is more sweetness, big alcohol punch and something a bit...off. Can't put my finger on it. Just a predominant taste to the beer that I cannot identify but I know I don't like. Some spice or other. And, bubblegum. Pink bubblegum. I hate it and its in there. Not as bad a La Fine Du Monde, but there all the same. Is that a characteristic of Belgian Strong Ales?

Drinks high on the tongue. Alcohol is not very well hidden either. This is a real sipper for me, and not one I will be coming back to either. It may just be that the style does not agree with me.

3.06/5  rDev -19%

22oz bottle purchased for 5.99 at Cedar Hills New Seasons. I got one bottle to drink now, and one to lay down for 5 and a half years.

Pours golden amber with a mediocre white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is yeasty and sweet. I can't pick up the citrus, but there are some spices working together to form a smell that doesn't really have me excited. The taste is a bit better, but there is something I'm not liking here. I'm not really getting the ginger or citrus. Mostly coriander, sweet malts, and hot alcohol. I'll do a more in-depth review when I drink this on it's intended date. I'm assuming it will be much better.

3.05/5  rDev -19.3%

Bottle poured at Canal St Brewphoria 9. Served into a 5 ounce sampler.

A: Hazy and cloudy golden orange with a nice sized fluffy, rocky white head. Touches of lacing are left on the glass, and the dissipation although rapid, leaves a moderate cap behind.

S: Peppermint, clove, ginger, cinnamon and very floral aromas. There's really no hop bitterness, the floral component is more pollen-like and peppery in a way. There's a lot going on here, a bit chaotic at times but it certainly will be an interesting beer to try.

T: Whoa, lots of sweet and sugary ginger and peppermint flavors up front. The palate is dominated by these, helped only by some yeast esters and Belgian spice mid-palate. The finish is sweet, cloying and sticky. Eh, this is okay, doesn't show any signs of oxidation but I couldn't drink more than a sample of this. Just a bit over the top with some really weird flavors.

M: Creamy, medium-bodied with light touches of bubbles on the tongue. Again, somewhat sticky in the finish but not a bad feel by any means.

It wasn't necessarily a gross beer but it's nothing I'd want again nor more than a few ounces of. The flavor profile went on a tangent and never came back. Sweet, gingery and minty, kind of odd but I'm glad I was able to sample this one.

3.01/5  rDev -20.4%

Enjoyed on 8/27/11. Thanks to SDsurfer217 for this beer from his cellar.

Lots of hiss comes out of this one despite it being released 3_ years ago. Impressive

A: Pours an orange color w/ 3 fingers of head. Very foamy, big bubbles dissipate slowly.

S: Apple spice smell. Ciderish smell. Pretty simple

T: Spices and apple. A liff bit of boozy/heat taste in there as well

M: Tons of carb. Little bit of heat/burn feel

O: A spiced apple beer. Very blah. Not horrible just really plain.

Pour: dirty orange with a modest white head on top. The smell is heavy on the spice; ginger, coriander...definitely reminds me of a saison in certain ways as well.

Flavour, very sweet and spicy up front...the ginger and coriander from the nose is prominent, but it is complimented by a sweet maltiness, almost bordering on sugary. Light citrus is also present, not in a hoppy way though, just a touch of zing. A bit of banana as well. This becomes increasingly abrasive as it warms though, and the spices become absolutely overwhelming near room temperature. The score I'm giving it here is an average of the good score that it had when it was still cold, and the bad score that it had once it was warmer.

Mouthfeel, full but not over the top, plenty of carbonation, some tongue bitter. Drinkability, about as good as you could expect for such an intense spice flavour, which is to say, not that good. I would expect this to improve as it ages.

The bottom line: if you like highly spiced, Saison/Belgian Pale style ales, then this is worth checking out. I think age will improve the spice depth here and allow the individual flavours to come out more, but for the present, this beer is strongly on the abrasive side, particularly once it warms, and I would recommend letting it age for a bit (a year or two?) before cracking the bottle.

look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Consumed on January 20th, 2013 at a private Vertical Epic tasting.

Beer pours a cloudy, medium golden-yellow. No head or carbonation evident in glass.

Aroma is sweet grapefruit.

Flavor is a bit sweet and cidery with bitter citrus peel and a slightly powdery, sightly floral yeast note.

Mouthfeel is a little thick and could use some carbonation.

Overall, this was one of the more drinkable VE beers we shared.

This beer is slightly hazed and throws out a deep golden hue. The head is thin and white. Lacing sporadic. Pretty nice aroma with belgian yeast apparent. Nice little sweet doughiness. The spices are not overbearing on the nose. I get a little cardamon. On the palate I get alcohol, sweetness and fruits. Tropical punch like. The alcohol is really evident and acts as the buzzkill in this context. Otherwise, I also get some lime notes, ginger and lemon. Too much stuff going on here and it doesn't mesh all that well....right now. Don't know about the future, but some age can't hurt this. I don't forsee cracking another for years....possibly till 2012. My least favorite of the Epics so far.

2.98/5  rDev -21.2%

Golden and slight hazed body topped by a puffed up head. Nice billowing and some chunks formed in the center. Calmed down to a mild head...a bit slick looking.
Smell is a bit weak. Belgian yeast, corriander, some biscuit. Not very strong, but not bad.
Taste has hints of the Belgian yeast characteristics, slight spice and little buttery. Feels like a carbonated wit beer, I don't like it. Too tingly for me. Drinks fairly well. I'll get some more a plunk 'em down in storage.

2.96/5  rDev -21.7%

Bottle that I bought at Norm's in Vienna right around the time this beer was released. Back in the day, there used to be a 2-bottle limit on this stuff. Wow.

The first pour is clear copper/amber with a dense, off-white head that falls off to a thin disk leaving some lacing. This does look nice. The nose, however, is worse for the wear (I think). Honey, some oxidized/stale sugary malt character, potent spice character, surprisingly so for the age of this beer, are present. Green cardamom, allspice and mace are most noticeable, as is some crystallized ginger. A little bubblegum as well. Decent.

The palate opens moderately sweet and with quite a bit of ginger. This is more of a Belgian braggot than a cross between a saison and a tripel IMO. Sweet, candied ginger, cardamom, sugar, syrup and honey are all present. Medicinal, I can't say I get much yeast character, at least from this clean pour. Alcohol appears on the finish, adding some burn. Medium-light in body, this beer is highly carbonated and this lends a scrubbing, carbonic acid character to the finish. Despite its heavy-handedness and lack of subtlety, this beer is moderately enjoyable, more so than my notes would lead you believe.

2.94/5  rDev -22.2%

Head on this golden ale disappears almost instantly. Given its age, I am not too surprised. I tried to pour gently but still managed to land some of the yeast beasts into our Teku glasses.

Syrup, honey and white grape notes predominate. A bit of ginger and citrus pith. A bit of creaminess but maintains dryness in the finish. Carbonation is crisp and tight; it feels really good on the palate. I wish a bit more fruit character would come out and play with the delightful carbonation. Medium to medium-full body.

Overall this is an interesting beer that I held onto for almost six years. I'm guess a year younger might have actually been its prime time as there is a hint of oxidization. This maybe would have been best for a 08.08.08 or 09.09.09 release? Some of the fruit and spice notes have been mellowed out too much in the aging process without much else to give way.

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

22 oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden-orange with a small white head that quickly disappears.

The aroma is wheaty malts with some spices and a little fruit and alcohol and some grassy hops.

The flavor is sweet malts, spices (clove, ginger) with some fruitiness. It has a grassy bitter finish. As it warms, the sweetness and ginger become a little cloying. The mouthfeel is medium and watery with low but sharp carbonation.

Overall, a decent Belgian, but not too striking to me. The blend of overwhelming flavors don't balance out really well.

2.93/5  rDev -22.5%

I was happy to find this one on a road trip but it ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Pours a clear, bright orange color with a thin white head. Aroma is a bit stingy with oranges, perfume and an assortment of spices. The mouthfeel on this is very tart, tangy and slightly dry. The strongest flavors are oranges and coriander, with lots of spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg), some lemon, and light fragrant hopping thrown in there. Interesting but the flavors just don't work for me. Halfway through the bomber I was sick of it. Not an awful beer but it is the worst Stone product I have had so far. Maybe I should have waited until "sometime after December 12th, 2012."

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

07/29/07- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, vintage 2007. Poured into my St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance- A semi-flat looking deep orange color. Smaller than 1/4 inch head forms...a bit creamy looking...leaves minor lace spotting behind.

Smell- Got a bit too close to the beer because I couldn't smell jack. Well, I ended up with a nostril full of 070707. It wasn't very nice either. Smelled like sugary corn syrup. Smelled some orange-tangerine notes as it warmed, but mostly sugar.

Taste- Tasted pretty much like it smelled. Overwhelming corn syrup like flavor. Some corriander and cardamom and maybe some white pepper. Can see a touch of tripel and a touch of saison, but not ones that I would want to drink on a regualr basis.

Mouthfeel- Very low carbonation, almost flat. Yucky sugary coating of the tongue and mouth.

Drinkability- Damn, I hope this one really improves with the years. My least favorite of the VE's so far.

2.84/5  rDev -24.9%

22 oz bottle.

Pours a hazed golden copper with a thin white head. Medicinal and soapy aroma with bubblegum malt and tobacco. Flavor is less offensive than the nose but still overly sweet. Caramel and bubblegum with citrus candy. Syrupy body with low carbonation. Difficult to drink.

2.75/5  rDev -27.2%

I bought this expecting hops, not remembering that all the other vertical epics were Belgian based. My grave mistake.

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm rarely a fan of American Belgians. And stating that, this one does nothing to change that perception.

Color is dark for a pale, closest I can think of in the color palate of Belgians would be Bush (Scaldis), which technically is a Belgian barley wine not a pale with much more malt than your typical Belgian. Aroma on this one has Belgian yeast characterists, but they're not strong. Mostly fruits coming through, with some alcohol. Flavor again is muted with similar effect as aroma, body is almost watery like a German hefeweizen. Alcohol comes in much stronger than the stated 8.4%. I frankly can't believe it's not pushing 10% based on flavor. While yes, many American brews between 8-9% have this much alcohol presence, I can't think of one Belgian that even comes close. The beer label claims it's bottle conditioned, yet no yeast was left in the bottle or apparent in the pour.

Overall I've gotta say bleeeh. Give me a Stone IPA over this any day.

2.71/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured this one into a Unibroue tulip. It has a nice white head and the color is what I would imagine from a wit/trippel hybrid. The smell is expected from a wit with a little bit of punch. I realize this is 10 months old already but I just don't really like this taste. I think I'm tasting some ginger and it just really isn't pleasant to me. I also taste clove and spicy belgian yeast but the ginger taste is just ruining this for me. Overall this is my least favorite of all the Stone beers I have had.

2.68/5  rDev -29.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

all credits due to Stone. The Rock! this is not my favorite style of beer and definately not my first choice at the retailer. this is the first beer from Stone that i will not buy again. with that said it looked good, smelled ok for beer - cloves come to mind. mouth feel and taste are cloves alcohol and more cloves.

ok, worth the notch in the belt.

suckem up and movem out.

2.66/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

The beer was served to me hazy yellow in color. There really wasn't much head at all, and a similarly small level of bubble activity as well. 3.5

The first hint I get from this beer is sadly medicinal. There's a base of some booze, and spice, but I can't get passed that initial aroma of medicine. 2.5

The medicine hits the taste as well. It's just like that cough syrup you didn't want to take as a kid. That, mixed with some clove that rests on the palate is not what I would call pleasant. 2.5

The finish is dry and the overall body is light and crisp, with a great level of carbonation. The drinkability is impacted negatively by the taste, however. 3

I really just wasn't a fan of this one. I think that, perhaps, it's a bit too old at this point. 2.5

2.63/5  rDev -30.4%

Please note that this review is relative to the STYLE - which is chock full of great beers.

A: Slightly opaque, dark orange. Good initial head, but dissapated quickly without retention.

S: Pretty harsh alcohol smell greeted me. Some deep, ripe fruits with a hint of yeast helped to salvage the smell and make it interesting.

T: Fig or Raisin, deep malt, alcohol.

M: Warm alcohol - almost reminded me of a cordial. Rich and deep on the palate, with a slight tang at the end.

D: Not that enjoyable - too heavy for the style.

I'm generally a HUGE supporter of Stone, but was not a fan of this one. Bummer. **I have one remaining - if anyone thinks I should cellar #2 for a year, let me know**

2.63/5  rDev -30.4%

Presentation: 22 oz bomber, nice silk screened bottle as usual from Stone.

Appearance: Pours a bright copper color with just a bit of sediment, average head and retention.

Smell: Lots of spice and some belgian yeast, maybe a bit of candi sugar? Too much going on here to pick out many details.

Taste: Strange - way too much going on. Mouthfeel is thick, almost syrupy. Very sweet, with lots of spice, and maybe a bit of hops? The spices are trampling all over each other, and all the yeast is contributing here is a bit of earthiness.

Overall impression: I think this one was designed to age - its a bit rough now, but maybe things would mellow and blend over the next few years.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.