Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The second of our "epic" night...lol...I kill myself.

A: The same style as the 08 VE, this beer possess more carbonation, along with a darker appearance...resembling a color more similar to a dark amber than a golden hue. Lacing is less impressive than the previous beer, but head retention is greater.

S: I told my friends I got a minty-like aroma...Mauerhan said more medicinal....so I guess it's something inbetween the two. Hop profile has disappeared since the first time I devoured this beverage, and the malt presence has taken over.

T: Again, a mint/medicinal flavor profile that is enhanced a bit by the alcohol...I know, that sounds weird. There also seems to be a nice balance of sweet malts and spearmint taste, which might be contributed to the Belgian spices.

M: More than enough carbonation, a beefy body, and nice lingering taste.

D: Easy to drink, better than the 07', but on the other hand...nothing spectacular!

Overall: A good beer...nothing crazy. Cheers!

OlieIPA, May 13, 2009
3.59/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Next in the series. Bottle says to age this one to at least 12/12/12. Well, I think I've got that covered.

A: A fairly odd shade of yellowish brown. Neither light nor dark. Neither yellow nor brown. I must say, it's not an overly appealing shade. Forms a small fizzy head that fizzes away quickly, leaving just a thin ring around the edge. No lacing.

S: Aroma is nearly non-existent. Swirling the glass, I am barely able to pick up anything beyond a fruity sweetness and some yeasty phenols.

T: Taste is much more pronounced. It is moderately sweet, with notes of ginger ale, candy sugar, herbs, fennel, citrus zest and some light spices. Bright floral notes. A bit alcoholic on the back end.

M: On the lighter side of medium in body. Low-medium carbonation levels. Spicy-prickly on the finish. Mild bitterness.

O: An okay beer. Not really sure it benefited from six years of aging.

Florida9, Dec 21, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -5%

22oz bomber. Pours into my glass a slighty hazy bright orange/yellow hue. A nice half inch of creamy white foam appears atop the brew and slowly falls. Aromas begin with spicy yeast and light citrusy tones. Definetly some ginger in there are as well. Fruity esters abound. Somewhat grainy maltiness as well. Interesting.

First sip brings a crisp, spicy light malt upfront that carries lots of tropical, citric flavors with it. Spicy ginger makes itself known midway through and the brew flows down with just a touch of hops. Finishes a bit dry with a lingering fruity spiciness and a blast of yeastiness.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation and a crisp finish. Goes down fairly easily and the bomber disappears pretty quickly. I'm just not too sure what this beer is trying to be and at no point did it really grab me. I'll let my other bottles sit and see what happens with some age. Thanks to KingG for hooking me up with this one.

orbitalr0x, Aug 15, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -5%

(22oz bottle from AJ’s Via Linda). Pours hazy organge-yellow or apricot color with moderate white head. Decent carbonation. Aroma is ginger, orange, lemon, spices, and rock candy. Taste is sweet with a slight sour twang. Light hops on the end. Thin to medium bodied. Slick texture and smooth, alcohol warming finish. Not bad at all and it held up better than I expected.

trappistlover, Jun 06, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Pours a huge frothy head with a rich golden color.

Smell is sort of a hybrid as stated. Sort of Saison meets Strong Pale. I smell a lot of spices, however they are a little faint. I smell plum and a little orange with some coriander and I believe I smell a tiny bit of nutmeg. It comes together nicely, but is a little faint.

On first sip , I get the point of the beer. I sense the hybrid style attempt. I am a little disappointed as the beer is a little watery. The spiciness comes out but there is not enough initial sweetness from any sugar. It has a decent dryness, but it needs a little more richness. I don't think this one will age well. I think I may trade this one away instead of aging it. It seems like it would have been better fresh. Sorry to the powerball winners who didn't get one, I thought I'd want to age it.

This beer lacks crispness. It has a mild amount of crispness, but comes across a little watery.

I'm a little disappointed. This beer is only slightly above average. I expect more from stone. I am sorry to the beer powerball winners who wanted this beer, I really thought I wanted to age it. It's up for grabs now. I don't think it will age well. It's not even rought around the edges. It won't age well.

jasonjlewis, Jul 03, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -5%

A: Hazy-bronze with floaties, white head, very little retention, light lacing.

S: Candied pineapple, gingerbread, spice & a slight fruity tartness.

T: Spicy gingerbread, tropical fruit, cloves, grain, light bitterness, slight tartness, light alcohol warmth.

M: Moderate body & carbonation with a dry finish.

D: Something to sip with dinner.

Derek, Apr 10, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Tasted on 7/12/07 -22 oz. glass bottle- color of honey gold, with a medium eggshell colored head - nose of yeast, spice, nutmeg, lime, and citrus zest – taste of yeast, allspice, honey, citrus zest and orange- body is medium, dry, and with medium to high carbonation – aftertaste of gummy, and orange zest- too much citrus will be a much better beer in a year or two

stephendr, Jan 04, 2008
Photo of

22oz. bottle

Poured a slightly hazy, light orange liquid. Formed a small, off-whtie head, creamy in consistency. Not much lacing or legs.

Citrus and spice greeted the nose, think it was coriander. Sweet, cotton candy like. Touch of Belgian funk. Reminds me a bit of a saison.

Sweet over bitter in taste. The bitter side picked up as the beer warmed, but it always seemed tilted towards a sweet flavor. Somewhat fruity, maybe a very sweet orange and still hints of cotton candy. Herbal hopping at finish and into the aftertaste. Some tea flavors.

Medium in body. Medium + carbonation. Almost seems to evaporate in the mouth.

Sweeter than most saisons, so not a good comparison. A little like some tripels I've tried. Not blown away by this one.

, Sep 17, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Pours a hazy honey orange with a fizzy 1 inch tan head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip back down into the remaining beer. Smell is of apple juice/cider, spices, and some yeast aromas. Taste is of apple juice/cider, some wine flavors, spices, citrus zest, and slight yeast flavors. Spice flavors dominate the aftertaste and there is a bit of spiciness that lingers as well. This beer has a pretty good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with lots of spices that seem to take over in this beer.

UCLABrewN84, Oct 07, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Color of honey. Even with an agitated pour, the head is not very impressive, and becomes paper thin within 30 seconds. Beer clean glassware? I try. Aroma of alcohol, grapefruit, and possibly some mysterious botanicals. Flavor is fairly balanced between a tripel and saison. Mouthfeel is a little thin for the style. I wonder about the reviews this beer would get if it came in a bottle that said...oh, Blue Moon I guess. I wouldn't advise aging this until 2012. maybe 2010. The 4.4.04 tasted similar upon its release, but became awesome by the winter of 05/06, so maybe I'll buy three or four and have one every six months.

dedrinker, Jun 25, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Reviewed Christmas Eve from bottle split with my brother (whose birthday is July 7th)

A- Clear rich amber pour with two fingers of soapy eggshell head. Quarter inch cap remains after several minutes and leaves chunky sticky lacing.

S- Cinnamon, cardamom, candy cane, brown sugar, Belgian yeast, grapefruit toffee and alcohol.

T- Ginger, cardamom, brown sugar, alcohol, yeast cinnamon and orange rinds.

M- Medium bodied, excellent carbonation with a slight alcohol warmth.

O- Really didn't know what to expect for a 5 year old beer. I did not like the 08.08.08 so when I cracked this and got my first whiff I was very happy and excited!

korguy123, Dec 26, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Slightly hazed, golden orange colour with a white cap of foam. The fine bubbles produced lots of pretty lacing and showed pretty good head retention. The aroma was full of spicy cloves and sweet candy sugar, backed up by a tart fruitiness. The flavour was quite sweet with low bitterness. Sugary and spicy (cloves), the finish had a peppery character. Medium bodied and carbonation, slightly sticky, with a nearly airy texture. Quite nice overall, but there cloves were sort of out of control. Not as balanced as last year's offering.

DrJay, Aug 26, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -5%

A - Light orange with a thin head that disappears immediately with no lacing left behind.

S - Ginger, clove, spice and some citrus notes.

T - A touch of malt with spice, clove, ginger and some citrus. This one is very dominant on the spices.

M - Medium body with light carbonation and a dry spicy finish.

D - I guess I should have read the bottle closer but this tastes like one big spicy christmas ale to me. I guess it makes sense to be this heavily spiced it it is supposed to last for another 3-4 years.

brewcrew76, Sep 16, 2007
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Probably got this at Discount Liquor, but who knows. Served in a tulip glass.

A - White foam settles to a collar, leaving behind spotty lace and wisps on top. Hazed golden body.

S - You can still smell the cardamom and citrus peel in this one, and there's a nice typical tripel-esque stone fruit malt backbone. This is the first of the series that doesn't seem crazy old.

T - The taste hasn't held up quite well unfortunately, as there are some fruity oxidized notes. Otherwise this is mostly caramel malts with a hefty citrus peel finish.

M - Medium body, medium-low carbonation, dry finish, with a surprising tannic character. Perhaps a hint of alcohol warmth in this one.

D - Not particularly well suited to my tastes, as I'm not a huge cardamom fan, but it's held up reasonably well. I'd be willing to give a keg or refrigerated bottle a chance down the road.

MasterSki, Mar 06, 2013
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Deep gold appearance, thin white foam holds steadily. Medium carbonation throughout. Cinnamon and a multitude of other peppery spices cloud the aroma. There is also some fruity sweetness, not bad overall.

The flavor is dominated by the spiciness also. There is some fruity apple tang in the mix, and the finish has a slight acidity or something that irritates the throat a bit. Decent, but not too impressive. The mouthfeel is nice, medium thick, smooth with silky carbonation.

The spices/additives were too much for this beer. They stand out too much rather then fit where they should. I realize Stone likes to go "big" on their beers, but just because it works with hops doesn't mean it does with spices. A little goes a long way. For now I feel like this should be more of a holiday/xmas ale. Hopefully it ages well...

bennetj17, Jul 05, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Bottle purchased a ways back from Wine Warehouse in Charlottesville, VA. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A hazy orange beer with sparse but quick and big carbonation, a big foamy and slow-fading off-white, even, fluffy, rocky head. The head really does the Duvel glass proud, though that's possibly because this is almost twice the quantity of beer that you'd normally pour from a Duvel bottle into a Duvel glass, heh. Very meringue-like in its terrain and texture, as well. Lacing leaves a little to be desired though.

Aroma: Very strong spice - cloves, cardamom definitely - and banana yeast notes, but plenty of citrus zest too. Orange and lemon are prominent in the nose. The fruity esters get a little solvent-like after a while.

Taste: Very interesting, but it grew to be a chore a little quickly. Strong spice again and those obvious Belgian notes, some sweet candy sugar-like qualities, and lots of fruits. Peaches and apples in the aftertaste, in addition to the tart citric qualities.

Mouthfeel: Big and even, medium-to-large bubbled. Bubbles and feel are a little too big for this level of spice.

Drinkability: As far as alcohol goes, this one's fine - not too bad at all. But when all's said and done, although it's an impressive meld of flavors ... I didn't really care for them too much. The aftertaste was a little too spicy, and the meld of everything a little too unusual. This one might do well aging, give the spices and citrus a little while to mellow out and blend better.

CrellMoset, Aug 24, 2008

Sampled on 7/08/07
Very amber hue to the beer in the tulip glass
Smells very spicy, Coriander?, Orange peel?, various citrus notes?
Taste is a bit spicy right now, but can't wait to try this one in the future once it calms down a bit. I think this beer has the potential to be a very complex one
mouthfeel is pretty good, about par for the course and very welcome.
This is hard to drink right now, well it is easy for me to drink, but I think once this beer reaches its potential in a couple years down the road, it will be great.

bradford, Jul 09, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Today is 08-08-08 and so I rate the 07-07-07 (while watching the Olympic Opening Ceremony).

Impressive initial head that recedes in a rocky fashion but eventually only a single layer of bubbles remains. Gold color and crystal clear.

Orange rind, all spice, and strong ginger aromas. Slightly earthy.

I would describe the initial sip as harsh, perhaps from ginger. The alcohol is very present but doesn't give the typical oiliness. Good body and highly carbonated.

Overall, this is a decent American version of Belgian Gingered Ale. Interesting as a different style of beer.

smcolw, Aug 09, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Cracked out during 2007 to see what all the fuss was about.

A. Semi-clear light gold. Light carbonation, very few visible bubblies. Small head that hits the edges of the glass. Poor retention.

S. Ginger, sweet toasty malt. Citrus hops, floral. Appealing, but a little "flat".

T. Sweet and sugary with a ginger wallop and a tripel-like pepper flavor. A little toasted and caramel malt are a welcome addition here; the hops are citrus and a tad spicy. Finish is lightly tart with a lingering sweetness and spice and is very reserved.

M. Light, thin, lowly carbonated.

D. Decent, but nothing spectacular. Too thin and lacking in fizz for my tastes. Needs more of that elusive "oomph" -- especially if this is going to hold up another 5 years!

kkipple, May 17, 2008
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

22 oz. bottle, sampled January '09. Brewed with pale, wheat, Munich and Vienna malts, blonde candi sugar, Glacier and Crystal hops, powdered ginger and cardamom, dried grapefruit, orange and lemon peel, and fermented with a blend of White Labs 550, 565 and 566 yeasts. The beer pours a glowing, bright topaz (think orange Triaminic), with a bit of sediment that punctuates the nice clarity, and is topped with a half inch of near white head that has almost no staying power. Ginger and cardamom start off the nose, followed by a light maltiness, lemon/orange, a phenolic edge, and a big backing of yeast. Some alcohol is noticeable later on. On the palate, it's a mix of spices and Belgian yeast, but the yeast plays second fiddle. Fruity and tropical, citric, a bit medicinal, with a medium bitterness and some sweetness in the back. Thick and chewy, it has a crisp and numbing tingle that makes way for a dry finish. This one comes across more as a saison or a spicy tripel, and tastes pretty good, but the spices can be a bit too much. Would be interested in trying this after it has aged to a year or two.

mmmbeer, Dec 08, 2009
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

I had high expectations for this Stone Vertical Epic. I saw it on the shelf at American Beer Distributors in Brooklyn and grabbed the last one - a 22 oz. bomber.

The beer poured out an amber, gold color, with a thick foamy, sticky head. Immediately the smell reminded me of a saison with the overpowering herb-y and spicy aromas. The taste is very complex. For me, the most notable was the different spices from the yeast. There were mild hints of citrus and dark fruits, and although the beer had a great mouthfeel, it was a bit heavy. I had to share the bottle with a friend.

In my opinion, there was just way too much going on in this beer. I couldn't focus on any one particular taste. I'm such a huge fan of Stone, but I think its special occasion beers are a bit too much for me. Vertical Epic falls into that category.

zerofear13, Aug 03, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Poured this from a bomber into a tulip glass. Beautiful. Hazy orange color, though the light that shined through it threw red on my hand. One finger head that dissipated into a bit of froth on top. Smelled fantastic! Citrus fruits dominate - grapefruit, lemon, orange. Smell was comparable to the finest Belgians that I've had. Taste was disappointing after the wonderful smell. The smell was very sweet, but it tasted bitter and sour. Actually, the taste is pretty appropriate, since it tasted like unripened fruit. Medium, yet confident mouthfeel. This is the the first of the Vertical Epics I've tried and I wasn't very impressed. Definitely the weakest offering I've had from Stone. However, it was designed to be enjoyed five years from now and I noticed huge potential from the aroma. I'll definitely pick up another of these to age until then.

atrus138, Jan 01, 2008
3.54/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Six year old Seven poured with a light caramel color and a fizzy head of lively bubbles.

The scent had a tinge of alcohol with a flowery perfume of lavender.

The flavors were sour with a flower, licorice, potpourri and carbonated water taste. The finish was genuinely tea like with a real herbal leaf flavor.

The feel was very carbonated but it had a good crispness.

Torn on this one as it had a natural perfumey flower and herbal tone but had little malt character to really round it out.

KYGunner, Dec 14, 2013
3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On tap at Churchkey.

Pours a moderate amber color with a nice off white head and a bit of lacing as it makes its way down. The nose is a bit of a mess, but actually works a bit well. Lots of peppery spice along with some ginger. Miscellaneous citrus notes in there as well; not sure of those are from residual hops. Taste is much the same with the ginger and spice combo coming out a bit more than other flavors. Mouthfeel is one of a medium body with pretty good carbonation. It's a bit much, but drinks fairly well as it is quite interesting.

Thorpe429, Oct 06, 2010
3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yes yes I know, I couldn't wait that long either, it simply called to me, and I answered.

A - A very pretty solid bronze color. Minimal head which disappeared fast, no lacing.

S - Very sweet, like grapefruit and orange juice. Makes my tongue water up just a bit.

T - Wow, at first very sweet and spicy, but the aftertaste packs a bitterness so potent it feels like being slapped. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just powerful. Hard to detect the alcohol with the complex battle being waged by the different profiles here. As it warms up the bitterness dies down a bit and this becomes quite enjoyable!

M - Full bodied and noticeably thick, yet it finishes much cleaner than I had expected.

D - I'm not sure how many of these I would be able to handle, but I could definitely go for another. I bet other beers taste like water after this one, it's quite brutal on the palate.

PhageLab, Oct 12, 2007
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.