2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Ratings: 535 | Reviews: 378 | Show All Ratings:
BEERchitect

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Another Stone anual that will surely improve with age. The beer opens with a burst of carbonation, loosely knit heat retention and a bright straw color. Aromas of sweet pilner malts and heavy grains swirl with fruits of pears, peaches, appricots, and apples. All with a swift kick of alcohols. Tastes as fruity and sweet as the aromas suggest with a sharp peppery, tart, earthy / musty flavor, adding complexity and variety. Feels moderately heavy and slightly oily despite an evaporative dryness late. Alcohols and tartness linger into the aftertaste, while remaining sweet and dry. Age will surely be kind to this brew, but a bit fusal and green at this point.

07-02-2007 12:36:24 | More by BEERchitect
vtfan77

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

A- Nice hazy deep gold; decent white head; yeast particles are visible throughout.

S- Typical Belgian aroma; cloves are predominant; it's not sweet and is kind of saison-like; some good citrusy aromas show themselves as the beer warms (orange and lime).

T- Cloves to start, than a whole lot of herbal hops; the hops mingle with some malt sweetness and the beer finishes dry a with a touch of bitterness; some alcohol is also present. The flavors don't really mesh here. It really needs more malt flavor.

M- Decent medium body with a nice carbonation level.

D- Not bad, although the alcohol is a little high. I'll stick to one bomber.

Certainly not my favorite from Stone. The flavor's just not doing it for me. However, I suppose the beer was designed to age for a few years, so here's hoping that will improve it. As it stands it's just ok, but hopefully a few years in the cellar will smooth things out.

07-02-2007 04:55:13 | More by vtfan77
Padron4KM

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

22 oz bottle.

Deep golden with a spritzy head.

Aroma is fruity, apple, banana, peppery, ginger. Light notes of cardamom spice.

Ginger and cardamom are prominent in the flavor with light notes of citrus peel.

Finishes a bit sweet, and the ginger and cardamom are a bit heavy for my liking right now, we’ll see how it ages out.

07-02-2007 04:52:08 | More by Padron4KM
Lothore

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark, orangish brown with a small head which retain very well. Smells creamy, sweet fruits, banana, slight alcohol odor. The taste is sweet, spicy and a bit peppery. The mouthfeel is a bit thick, well carbonated and leaves a sweet coating on the inside of the mouth. This is very well balanced and easy to sip on but a bit of an overload to the senses if overconsumed.

07-02-2007 04:24:54 | More by Lothore
neenerzig

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Poured into my snifter. This beer is a slightly cloudy medium golden/deep orange/copper color. Very nice color. The head is about an inch thick when poured. It settles to a quite thin surface layer about 10 minutes after pouring. Nice white ring lining the inside of the glass though. Good lacing. Aroma wise sweet spice galore and malt are certainly present as well as some banana. Sort of a fruity and floral aroma too. Very malty and sweet upfront tastewise. Spices such as clove and ginger are present among others. The taste is rounded out by some fruit and hop notes. Orange and lemon are certainly present along with a hint of banana. This beer has a dry, spicy and biting aftertaste. Has a very crisp, bubbly mouthfeel with a full body and moderate to heavy carbonation. easy to drink in the manner that great beer should be. It took me well over an hour an half to finish a bomber of this stuff. Overall this beer is certainly different from any other Belgian style Strong Pale Ale I have ever had before. A lot about this beer reminded me of Stone's Barley Wine, which I like a lot. Another winner from Stone!

Eric

06-30-2007 02:07:43 | More by neenerzig
ccrida

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a St. Feuillien goblet, the 07.07.07 is a clear orangish bronze with a 1 finger eggshell head that quickly subsides to a thick collar and skim, leaving scattered lace. Not pale, and an uninspiring head, this reminds me of all the failed, malty US takes on the style. However, I hesitate to dock it much on the color, as the label cites it's a mix of tripel and saison (my two favorite styles BTW), which I afford a wider range of color.

The nose is strong, yeasty, spicy and sugary sweet. I might have guessed I was picking up on coriander, but it's not listed on the label with the other spices, although the phrasing of 'including' hints that it may not be an inclusive list. If it is, maybe it's the cardamom, or just the Belgian yeast. I also found the ginger really reveals itself as it warms. Inviting and complex, I'm impressed.

The taste is a bit thick but nice. Lots of Belgian yeast spiciness, clean candi sugar, and a noticeable bit of alcohol. Also, there's a nice punch of the citrus mentioned on the label, grapefruit, lemon and orange peel, although I couldn't detect it on the nose, but enjoy it's presence here.
I've had a few mediocre US made BSPAs lately, and it's nice to have a decent one again. However, I question just how well this would hold up over the next 5 1/2 years. I don't generally think BSPAs are made for the long haul, and I assume that the citrus I really enjoy here will quickly fade. Also, I found it odd that there was no yeast on the bottom of the empty bottle, and both pours were clear. Still, this is good enough that I'll get a few more, to enjoy on the short term as well cellar. I'm guessing this will peak between 6-12 months...

The mouthfeel is maybe a tad heavy, but there's enough effervescence to keep it from getting syrupy.

This was quite drinkable, because it was really pretty tasty. While it didn't blow me away with the first sip, I was really loving it by then end. A little less heat and more digestibility would make this a 5, possibly for the taste as well. But I really enjoy the SoCal twist on the style, appreciate the dominance of the yeast, and the depth, yet subtleness of the spices.

06-29-2007 02:29:30 | More by ccrida
Mebuzzard

2.98/5  rDev -21%

Golden and slight hazed body topped by a puffed up head. Nice billowing and some chunks formed in the center. Calmed down to a mild head...a bit slick looking.
Smell is a bit weak. Belgian yeast, corriander, some biscuit. Not very strong, but not bad.
Taste has hints of the Belgian yeast characteristics, slight spice and little buttery. Feels like a carbonated wit beer, I don't like it. Too tingly for me. Drinks fairly well. I'll get some more a plunk 'em down in storage.

06-28-2007 18:44:49 | More by Mebuzzard
jakon

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

22oz bottle purchased for 5.99 at Cedar Hills New Seasons. I got one bottle to drink now, and one to lay down for 5 and a half years.

Pours golden amber with a mediocre white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is yeasty and sweet. I can't pick up the citrus, but there are some spices working together to form a smell that doesn't really have me excited. The taste is a bit better, but there is something I'm not liking here. I'm not really getting the ginger or citrus. Mostly coriander, sweet malts, and hot alcohol. I'll do a more in-depth review when I drink this on it's intended date. I'm assuming it will be much better.

06-27-2007 23:37:33 | More by jakon
session1979

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Setting/Pairing: I got a call from a buddy while I was in Vegas letting me know that the 07 Vertical Epic had hit the shelves in Denver and last night I had a chance to visit my shop and snag a few. I poured it into my Riedel snifter and enjoyed the first half on the patio with nothing but a cool breeze and the second half on the couch with my wife watching a movie.

Appearance: This is presented in the classic Stone bottle and print. It pours a cloudy orange/bronze hue with a creamy 2 finger head and moderate retention and lacing.

Smell: Big Belgian yeast, spices, Fruit and lots of it - apricot, peach and citrus. Sweet bubblegum and grapefruit are here as well.

Taste: Very complex, mild citrus hops hit the tongue first and then some spices - dates and figs, fruit and funky Belgian yeast. Tons of malt characteristics, you can tell they used several different varieties here. The minty Belgian flavor is there but it fades a bit to the background as the beer warms, wonderful sweet flavors on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very round and smooth, nice big body.

Drinkability: I had no problem hammering this bomber in a sitting. It is bottle conditioned so it has only light carbonation but it has so many flavors that the alcohol fades into the distance and is soon forgotten.

Final Comments: I will try to keep the fact that I am a Stone whore out of equation and just say that this is a good beer with wonderful potential. It is distinct in its Belgian characteristics so if these are things you do not enjoy you may not care for this beer. I was highly anticipating its release and I was not disappointed. I plan to enjoy many more as it is a perfect beer to share with friends on a summer evening. My advice is to buy 3 or 4, enjoy a couple over the summer and lay at least one down until 2012 for the vertical tasting. Enjoy!

06-27-2007 17:02:23 | More by session1979
ArrogantB

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Well this beer is as the label describes, golden. The head was a short oil slick on the surface. It smells kind of fruity, and kind of like a piece of bubblegum. This is a very good aroma. The taste has some spicy qualities but does not quite deliver on the aroma. The carbonation is a little prickly to the mouth and made the beer hard to down. It took me about two hours to finish the bottle. I will probably buy a couple more bottles for aging in the hopes that this improves. This wasn't a bad beer but the carbonation just made me feel bloated as I drank it.

04/21/08

Nine months has done this beer nicely. Apples, grapes abound in both the flavor and aroma. Sticky, sweet, not quite tart. Very interesting and complex taste. This is aging well (so far).

06-26-2007 16:10:01 | More by ArrogantB
flexabull

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a clear bright gold color with a large white head.

Aromas are intense and spicy. Bubblegum, grapefruit, and bananas all noticed on the nose.

Tastes spicy, but not overdone. Tastes of citrus fruits, bananas, pepper, and bubblegum. There is a general overall creaminess character to the flavor, slightly sweet, and very malty.

Mouthfeel is full and really supple. Creamy, smooth, and thick.

Interesting beer. Not quite my favorite of the epics, but it's a well made, and is enjoyable to taste and drink.

06-26-2007 02:18:43 | More by flexabull
Wildman

4.45/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured a light clear amber color and formed a huge foamy white head that coated the glass with lace as it slowly subsided. A heavy amount of carbonation is present. An aroma of malt, banana, grapefruit, and clove. Definitely a Belgian aroma to this beer. The flavor was of malt, caramel, and candy. A very sweet beer, even for a Belgian style. The body is medium light and the finish is slightly astringent and bittersweet with a warming aspect of the alcohol present. Another fine offering from Stone.

06-26-2007 01:30:27 | More by Wildman
Gueuzedude

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Sample June 2007
Pours with a brilliantly clear (and I mean brilliant), full copper color that has tons of streaming bubbles coming up from the bottom. The bubbles support an initially three-finger thick, light tan colored head. The nose is quite spice driven, with ample notes of ginger, clove and a fair amount of citrus notes (leaning towards lemon zest and orange peel). In the finish is a hint of something cola like, which makes me think of cardamom. Despite the spices, the aroma is quite clean. It does have aromatic notes of toasted grain & biscuit malt towards the end. At times the aroma reminds me of a spicy ginger ale, though it is not quite so piquant.

Fairly sweet up front with a fairly thick body; I would characterize it as being medium full. It finishes with an earthy spiciness reminiscent of clove, green coriander and cardamom. Light flavors of lemon zest and a note somewhat like pears or green apples add a hint of fruitiness. The spice flavors are not over the top here, yet somehow they seem to dominate the flavor profile. This could also be a mix of hop character & spices, interacting in ways that one is not used to in a Belgian-style beer. I am not enjoying the mix of flavors here, but I think that this might actually improve considerably with some age; perhaps a year or so would be good. As my palate gets used to some of the sharper, more earthy spice notes a bit more citrus character becomes noticeable; it starts to move towards notes of orange peel. The earthy ginger flavors still are prominent though, even lingering on in the finish.

This is not drinking all that great right now, and I am hoping that it will get quite a bit better with some age on it. It is definitely too clean & needs more yeast influence, hell even a bit of yeasty haze would have been beneficial. The body is a bit too thick for me as well. This should still be at least as drinkable as it is now by 2012.

06-25-2007 04:50:32 | More by Gueuzedude
chadlebald

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Bought 4 of these on 6/22. Will keep the other 3 to age, but MUST try one now.

Beautiful golden amber color. Light head that dissipates relatively quickly. Oh, the smell is nice. Unmistakably Belgian esters: yeasty, subtle spice, banana and orange peel. It actually lingers inside my nose.

No surprise, the taste is quite good as well. Nice fruit and spice--the cardamon stays present for a good amount of time in the finish. Just enough hops to put it on the drier side, and with the ginger giving its 'hotness' to encourage the next sip. Warming my insides as I write this (and continue to drink more). Yummy.

It's a very good beer right now, so I wonder what time will do. (can't wait to find out!)

God bless those Belgians for brewing their beers. And bless those San Diegans at Stone for brewing another future gem.

06-25-2007 04:41:31 | More by chadlebald
dedrinker

Kansas

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Color of honey. Even with an agitated pour, the head is not very impressive, and becomes paper thin within 30 seconds. Beer clean glassware? I try. Aroma of alcohol, grapefruit, and possibly some mysterious botanicals. Flavor is fairly balanced between a tripel and saison. Mouthfeel is a little thin for the style. I wonder about the reviews this beer would get if it came in a bottle that said...oh, Blue Moon I guess. I wouldn't advise aging this until 2012. maybe 2010. The 4.4.04 tasted similar upon its release, but became awesome by the winter of 05/06, so maybe I'll buy three or four and have one every six months.

06-25-2007 02:12:38 | More by dedrinker
Cascadia

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Got two bottles, one for now and one for years to come. Not sure if I'll make it to 2012, but we'll see. Pours a pretty golden-straw color, with a very small head that quickly disapears. Smells nice and estery, with a fruity fig-like quality, almost bubble-gummy. Tastes good and belgian, with a buble-gummy up fronter and a nice warming finish. This one does get more complex as it warms up, so sip slowly. A nice beer, there's no way of knowing where it will be in 5 years, that's for sure.

Cheers!

06-24-2007 02:57:48 | More by Cascadia
stereosforgeeks

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance - A nice honey/bronze color with 2 fingers of white head. Mild retention and lacing.

Smell - Major notes of apricot, oranges, banana, and spices (especially pepper).

Taste - Some mild citrus hops come on the tongue first. Soon after the spices appera to balance the citrus flavors. There is some ginger which helps cleanse and tame the palate for the barrage of wonderful tastes.

Mouthfeel - Smooth with little carbonation. Gl;ides down the tongue effortlessly. The hops keep everything dry.

Drinkability - Definitely will try out subsequent years of this. Have a few aging and hopefully they turn out well. This is a nice mix of saison and belgian double/tripel. Recommended.

06-23-2007 22:15:50 | More by stereosforgeeks
BlackJeremiah

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Dark golden-amber, almost orange. Hazy, mild streamers, thick white head reduces to a thin layer with slight rockiness.

S: Fruit esters, citrics, some eastern/Earl Grey-type scents (orange, bergamot), spicy, but not dark and clovey like the '06. Lighter and subtler, with some hints of sweet pastries and piquant Belgian yeastiness.

T: Highly disparate spice and citric profiles. The advertised four malts run the gamut from bready to sweet and almost doughnuty. Grapefruit, orange, candied sugar, ginger, pepper, and Earl Grey tea all jump in the pool and blend somewhat well. Needs time in the cellar (duh, it's a VE), but very promising.

M: Light, slick, barely effervescent and somewhat cloying on the hard palate.

D: The most drinkable of the four VEs (04-07) that I've tasted. A nice Tripel/Saison blend. Refreshing at first, but ultimately too cloying for more than two glasses' worth in a sitting.

06-23-2007 07:28:52 | More by BlackJeremiah
yemenmocha

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a brilliant orange amber color, very pleasing to the eye. Head is generous at first but dissipates to a thin rim of white lace.

Nose is candy like, fruit candies, like apricot and orange maybe, and some peppermint sugary aromas too.

Palate is somewhat viscous with syruppy sweetness, in a good way, with a big spiced warmth at the end. Somewhat prickly on the palate too as alcohol is evident.

Finish is long with lingering fruit and malt sweetness.

06-22-2007 23:43:30 | More by yemenmocha
koolchas

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

* bomber poured in a tulip glass

i have had the enjoyment of drinking two of these so far as this is my first taste of the anticpated vertical epic series from stone brewing.

poured a deep dark golden color with a splash of amber mixed in with carbonation bubbles clinging to the the majority of the tulip. the smell is definetly more spices vs. citrus. as mentioned many times, it has the taste of pepper with orange and banana overtones. very belgian in style. a bit of alcohol bite lingers in the mouths but, only for a short period of time as the aftertaste of sweet citrus kicks in making you want to sip more. very tasty but, be careful as that abv can sneak up on you and hit you with a left hook.

overall a very good brew and i am sure this one will get better as it ages. my recommendation is get at least a case if you enjoy the first bottle since it can be cellared until december 12, 2012. i just hope i can keep a bottle that long! hats of to stone on this one!

cheers!

06-22-2007 07:46:31 | More by koolchas
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Pours an effervescent honey/bronze with 2 fingers of eggshell white head. Stays effervescent the whole way through with good lacing & above average head retention

S: Apricot, orange peel & persimmons, falls off a little, once warm

T: Citrussy hops (grapefruit, lemon & tangerine) up front, along with some pepper, ginger (this is working for me) & grains of paradise. Warming booze sneaks in as this warms, along with dates & figs, this is a wild one! Finishes with ginger, lemony hops, figs, jammyness (apple & elderberry) & honey dryness

MF: Slick, juicy with low carbonation

Drinks well for the abv & style. Really enjoyed this, will try to get a bottle to age as well. Loved this year's, was not impressed 06's; will try this every year most likely. The sky's the limit on style possibilities

06-22-2007 04:29:32 | More by russpowell
IntriqKen

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Pours a pale yellow with a smallish head in the glass that disappeared all too quickly.
Aroma is mostly farmhouse earthiness with some sour fruits and citrus hops in the end.
Taste is unbalanced unless you let it warm to 55-60 degrees. Farmhouse earthiness...big saison qualities, belguim yeasts and breadiness....sour fruits...and then the bitter citrus peel hops to finish it off. Everything in this beer works once it warms and it becomes a very, very nice cross between a Belguim Pale Ale and a Farmhouse Saison. Wonderful complexities. Each sip seems to expose another subtle spice flavor. I look forward to seeing the evolution of this Epic Ale more than any of the others because I really believe it will change emmensely in time.

06-22-2007 03:17:00 | More by IntriqKen
Cresant

Kentucky

Poured this 22 oz. brown bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet glass. The body was a bright golden orange color with some chill haze that cleared as it warmed. The head was moderate and faded to a ring, which was revived with a swirl.

Smell was spicy. Orange sweetness. Earthy. Peppery.

Taste was sweet and sour. Stone fruits (no pun intended). There was an unmistakable Belgian yeastiness. Sweet citrus. the typical Stone hops-fest was subdued.

Mouthfeel was medium in carbonation and somewhat creamy. It will be interesting to experience this one in 2012.

06-22-2007 02:32:49 | More by Cresant
clvand0

Kentucky

Pours a clear light amber color with a small head that falls quickly but leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma is spicy and has some alcohol notes and I smell something that reminds me of ginger. Also has lots of pepper notes. The flavor has plenty of Belgian character with a strong alcohol presence. It's fairly dry, but there is a spice flavor in there that lends to the sweetness. Pepper and spices are strong in the flavor as well as a bit of funkiness. The body is on the light end of moderate and the drinkability is ok. I'm sure it will improve with age.

06-22-2007 02:21:05 | More by clvand0
prototypic

Appearance: It's an very light golden color (has a bit of an orange tint to it). Head is foamy and about one and a half fingers. Retention was a bit short and a light coat of lace remained.

Smell: Definitely has some Belgian qualities. It's most citrus sweetness blended with various spices. Citrus scents are pineapple, orange, grapefruit, and even a mild banana twist. Definitely has a nice malt presence.

Taste: This is pretty well done for a Belgian style brew. It's very spicy. Mostly peppery with some other herbal spices in the mix. Citrus flavors come through very nice and provide a sweet taste. A bit of caramel malt is noticeable, as well as a mild yeasty taste.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's medium bodied and very well carbonated. Drinkability is good though I'd probably limit myself to one bomber. Overall, it's a nice offering from Stone. It'll be interesting to see how it ages.

06-22-2007 01:37:56 | More by prototypic
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.