Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
4.2/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into a Vertical Epic Glass.

First pour is without yeast, didn't want to cloud the appearance. As such, it is a crystal clear golden straw yellow with only a ring of white lace around the glass.

Medium fragrance of tart fruits, especially tart cherries like that od kriek.

Taste includes strong yeast alcohol flavors common to many dubbles and triples. There is a light tartness and faint astringency.

Constant medium tingle that creates a creamy foam in the mouth. Also light tannin. (494 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -18.4%

My first taste of the Vertical Epic series. I actually had a sample of it at Belgium Comes To Cooperstown before buying this 22oz bomber last week.

The fine print on the bottle suggests I should age this until 2012. I seriously lack that kind of patience so I'm opening it now at an age of 3 weeks.

Vessel of choice: Orval goblet.

Pours hazy orange-gold. Not much head to speak of, except after the pour itself. The head sticks to the side of the glass in a thin ring when all is said and done. Slight viscosity. There's an earthy/musty aroma wafting from the glass. Saison yeast? I've used it in homebrewing and it smells very similar. Also present is orange peel (coriander).

And now to taste. First impression is sourdough bread. Very yeasty. There is then some slight tartness of citrus laced with faint spiciness from either ginger, cardamom or even peppercorn. Doughiness and spice linger a while on the tongue. Warming from alcohol is barely noticeable. Very oily mouthfeel.

This is indeed a young beer which cellaring could only help. Honestly, I think it tastes good as is but the oily mouthfeel is kind of a turn-off. I imagine the flavor profile coming together a lot better with some time on the shelf. (1,229 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +9.7%

A: Orange with light red hues

S: What a spice box; ginger, five-spice, tropical fruit, cardamom, some cotton candy like aromas

T: Spice, honey, malt. I like. This is very different than any of the 5 we tried tonight.

M: Acidic, medium-bodied

D: Very drinkable, almost like a Xmas beer with all the spice

Finished second. A good beer, seemingly brewed with a holiday cheer in mind. (386 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

pours a deep bronze in color with a good amount of head, leaving above average lacing. The smell is strong with spice and belgian yeast, also a good hint of alcohol. he flavor is complex with a light malt backbone loaded with spices and hints of yeast, alcohol is apparent and warming, still pretty green. This is a sipper, but enjoyable, and will certainly mellow out and age well. (382 characters)

4.05/5  rDev +6.6%

Appearance: Deep Orange brew with a slight head that doesn't last. A good amount of carbonation is present and stays active for a good while after the pour.

Smell: Sweet fruits, citrus, and a big bread smell are present.

Taste: Malty up front. Gives way to a sweet fruity, citrusy flavor. Finish is warm and spicy and goes very well with the maltiness that is still lingering.

Mouthfeel: Nice smoothness and nice, creamy thickness. Leaves a nice warming feeling in the mouth and a good, complex aftertaste.

Drinkability: Good beer. Not the most complex Belgian style beer out there, but it has a good, inoffensive flavor to it. Will revisit sometime after 2012 to see how it ages. (685 characters)

1.34/5  rDev -64.7%

Washington Irving, is his darkest dreams could not have conjured up a more frightening headless apparition than this. After 30 seconds it looks like goddam apple juice. Smell is run of the mill for the style, fruity esters, citrus, et al. Unfortunately the smell does not prepare one for a flavor which can only be described as an unmitigated disaster. Tastes like somebody spilled a shitload of ginger and grapefruit juice into a glass of Boone's Farm. Mouthfeel is slightly less dreadful.

It's painful for me to write this, as I believe that there is not a finer brewery in the country than Stone. That's the point, though. I expected a hell of a lot more out of this. At least a head would have been a start, for God's sake. I've tried this twice now, because I thought for sure I must've just been in one of my moods the first time. Unfortunately the second time confirmed it for me. Maybe if this is cellared for 5 years the wildly disparate flavors in this will merge into something palatable, but for now this is an absolute hideous mess of a beer. (1,059 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

This ale poured a golden color with a big, soapy head that slowy faded away. Some light lacing was left behind. The aroma of the beer was yeast, orange peel, and other spices. The smell seemed to mostly resemble a saison. The flavor was also very close to a saison. It was made up of bread, citrus, and mild spices. The flavor seemed to be thrown off a bit by the different citrus peels that were used during brewing. It started out almost cloyingly sweet, then turned grapefruity bitter, leaving a lasting confusing aftertaste on the tounge. The mouthfeel was medium to full-bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, I thought it was a decent ale. Hopefully the aging process will smooth out some of the rough edges. (726 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance: This beer was an absolute gorgeous golden honey color. When held up to a light there was a hint of amber. The head was 2-3 fingers, and at an inch over the glass the head refused to drip.

Smell: Smells uniquely similar to Dog's 120 min IPA. The smell was tangy. Very tangy. Tangy and honey sweet. W/ a hint of citrus, and a deep hop.

Taste: Again, tangy. Tangy and Sweet; very similar to 120 IPA. It had deep flavors of honey, citrus, w/ a hint of very ripe pineapple. The finish was kind of buttery and hopalicious. The hops underlayed all of these flavors perfectly.

Mouthfeel: After taking a drink, there was a second foam reaction. I take (huge) gulps, which almost made my cheeks pop. Not sure why this is, maybe I didn't let it set long enough after pouring/opening.

Drinkability: I am more than thankful I have a whole case. The only problem will be resisting drinking them before the summers over. Yeah, that good. (947 characters)

4.34/5  rDev +14.2%

This beer pours a dark golden almost amber color with a kaki head that dissipates pretty quickly but that is expected with the time on this beer.
It smells of citrus zest and ginger but has a lot of complexity to it.
The taste is even more complex with the zest, som earthiness in the background and a ginger bread like flavor.
The mouthfeel is sweet and dry.
This beer is really rich which takes a lot away from the drinkability. (430 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -35.3%

Great looking beer. Golden color with a thick fluffy white head. Nice sour fruit smell, with some malt. Went downhill from there. The taste was way over the top. I could have blended the spice cabinet with some club soda and came up with this beer. The finish was very dry, and I could not finish the glass, let alone the bottle. One of only three beers I have ever dumped. Way over the top is still too far.
I am a Stone fan, but not this one. (445 characters)

3.8/5  rDev 0%

bomber poured into a chalice.

A - Pours Orange with a half inch head that quickly settled to a whispy ring around. No lacing.

S - Spicy/Fruity. Bit of ginger.

T - Spicy/Fruity/Sweet. Alcohol in the finish.

M - Dry finish. Medium body. Lightly carbonated.

D - Good. (269 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -15%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Duvel Snifter.
The color is a wonderful golden orange with a nice lacy head that retains for a few minutes. The citrus hoppy aroma is mixed with a hint of spice but followed by strong presence of alcohol ( even though some stone beers have a higher alcohol content this one is more apparent). Taste at first overpowering citrus peel esters, with a warm alcohol aftertaste. Very bitter but not because of the hop flavor, needs more malt and hop flavor to support the flavored bitter effect of the oils of the citrus peel. Dont get me wrong this beer is meant to age, and out of all of the vertical epics I believe this one will benefit the most and might be mind blowing in 2012. (711 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

I figure one year was all I could wait til I cracked open this bottle and shared it with my brother.

Poured a nice amber color with a thick white head. You could see the carbonation rising to the top rapidly and the ale left good lacing throughout the drinking period.

The aroma was of oranges and grapefruit.

The taste was similar to many Belgian tripels. There was a strong grapefruit flavor, rich malts, and a medium body to it. Not much in the way of hops, but I don't mind!

There was no heavy aftertaste on the palate other than the lingering presence of the alcohol, which was evident in the first taste.

This ale is very drinkable if it weren't for the high abv, but it's so good it would be a shame not to make a night out of it. (742 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

Appearance - It pours a yellow-orange color that is very clear with some carbonation activity visible. The head builds slowly as you pour, and dissipates fairly quickly, settling at a thin half-finger cap of rough head. There is some lace left as you drink, but not much.

Smell - Definitely some strong notes of cloves and fig (your typical aroma for the Belgian style). There is also a rich malty aroma behind this.

Taste - Lots of really fresh clove and ginger flavor up front. This flavor eventually gives way to some slight souring and an interesting tropical fruitiness in the middle. The dark fruit flavors are actually not as present as I would have expected from the smell. As it finishes, there is a powdery yeast flavor and some hints of citrus essence. There is moderate alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation bite, which lends to the refreshing quality of this beer. It does not take away from it as with some other beers. The beer is quite smooth beyond the lively carbonation. It has a medium body.

Drinkability - The spice and herb flavors in this beer may be somewhat rich for some people, but I quite enjoyed them! Other than that, this beer is perfectly drinkable considering its style.

Overall, this is another great Vertical Epic. The added spices really add a great character to this beer. Also, these additions were done with the thought in mind to add to the beer's flavor. Many spiced beers are simply over-spiced and it takes away from the beer's base flavor. This was well done and compliments the beer overall. Well done again, Stone! (1,633 characters)

3.8/5  rDev 0%

Sadly I missed the 02-02-02 through 06-06-06 but maybe they'll turn up somewhere.

A: A nice hazy honey color. Not much head, but some small bubbles going up the side of the glass.

S: Smells smooth and sweet with plenty of spices. Pepper, ginger and others.

T: The first taste is very sublte honey sweetness but quickly followed by a blast of spices. Pepper, citrus, ginger, and plenty of other stuff I can't even beging to identify.

MF: This really captures the Belgian mouthfeel well-light but very sharp. Spicy/peppery alcohol which combined with the carbonation makes this a biting beer.

D: I like this, but I think Stone took it a bit too far. The flavor is a bit too much for the style. The mouthfeel is the thing that really gets me, it's just a bit too sharp, almost hard to drink. Not bad, but I think others do this style better. (844 characters)

2.16/5  rDev -43.2%

Bomber into a pint glass.

A: Pours luscious deep gold. Honey, amber and tawny highlights. One inch of creamy white head, with good retention and lacing.

S: Smells decent, but not great. Strong aromas of esters and Belgian yeast. Some faint spices are evident.

T: The first sip is bold malty tones, as well as fruity sweet notes like in a Tripel. Spicy ginger notes arrive mid-palate, followed by other spices (cinnamon and cardamom). Then catastrophe strikes. The cardamom is much too strong, and it leads to an absolute train-wreck of a finish, which left me feeling like I had cottonmouth. Surprised, but undeterred, I tried another sip. Same thing. I tried still another sip and noticed to my dismay that everything I disliked about this beer was becoming more pronounced the more I had it.

M: I forced myself to have another couple sips so that I could evaluate mouthfeel. It was overly carbonated and sharp.

D: I poured this one out.

I'm glad that they only brewed this once. (989 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +3.2%

Appearance: Darker amber color with a yellowish head. Head was nice and thick, lasted entire beer and had a good amount of lacing.

Smell: Spicy malt smell with hints of fruit and sweetness.

Taste: A sweet malt flavor with hints of spice, maybe hints of cinnamon or other sweet type spices. Flavors did not seem to be totally blended yet, slightly green. Sweet after taste.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick and CO2 was just slightly weak.

A very interesting beer from Stone and I thought it was better than the 06.06.06. Can't wait to try it again in a few years. (557 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +4.7%

A good beer. I was not expecting it to be nearly as fruity as it was, though. When it is first poured, it looks amazing, very dark golden color, solid head. As it sits for a few seconds, and only a few, it looks, as one previous reviewer remarked, very much like apple sauce. When you drink it, you might be tasting an apple as well. The beer is also very sweet. These are not the traits that I love best in a beer, they are, however, unique, and entirely drinkable (quafable?). I don't spell. Anyway, I like to reward beers for being unique, and this one, if not in appearance, certainly is. it loses point because there is only so much fruityness I can handle, but it is none-the-less a good beer, and I recommend it. (719 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Shared at a tasting with my friend Armand. Unfortunately 07-09 were my least favorites.

A-Peach colored, great almost white head, tight bubbles great lacing.

S-Ginger, cardamom, citrusy.

T-Spicy in the tongue that dissipates quickly leaving a ginger flavor behind. The hops are still very present, especially for a 3 year old beer.

M-Great, unfortunately that's the only note I took.

D-Too fresh for me, I liked the others because the hops had faded and let the malts shine through, this hasn't happened yet on this one. Maybe I'll try it in another year and see where it's at. (582 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I know this will be much better in a few years, but I'm reviewing it now, so I'm giving it a lower rating than I will at some future date.

This beer has a great rich orange/gold color and a slightly offwhite head that has good structure at first but falls fairly quickly for this slow sipper.

When you first pour it, it wafts clean fruity and spicy saison notes. Put your nose to the glass and everything intensifies going from mouthwatering to mindnumbing. The initial aroma had set me up for something lighter than Stone. But we would all be disappointed if Stone really served us up a light bodied beer. There is a lot of spice and fruit to this.

The taste is just a lot of punching and kicking, scratching and biting and screaming between your malty fruits your bitter hops and your spices. Right now everything is shouting so loud it is difficult to care. But give this party a few years and there will be perfect harmony. You can tell this beer has talent.

Overall: Seems very similar to the 444 sans lime leaves. I think the 444 was perfect though. Thanks to oodeftone for making sure I got one of these. I was able to get some more to age. (1,151 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle purchased for 5.99 at Cedar Hills New Seasons. I got one bottle to drink now, and one to lay down for 5 and a half years.

Pours golden amber with a mediocre white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is yeasty and sweet. I can't pick up the citrus, but there are some spices working together to form a smell that doesn't really have me excited. The taste is a bit better, but there is something I'm not liking here. I'm not really getting the ginger or citrus. Mostly coriander, sweet malts, and hot alcohol. I'll do a more in-depth review when I drink this on it's intended date. I'm assuming it will be much better. (636 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +6.3%

Nice copper color, but a lot head out of the bottle and low retention (alas). Not quite what I've come to expect from the VEs, appearance-wise...

Nice caramelized malt jumping up in the nose and a good dose of noble hops. Metallic? I like it.

Drinking it finally... and I'm quite impressed. Billed as a BSPA, but it really shares a lot of qualities with a crisp, PNW amber ale. It's like you took a typical PNW amber ale and Duvelized it. Or it's like someone turned up the volume on a De Koninck (which, while not something I'd envisioned, it turns out that it works really well). Really a thoroughly enjoyable beer right now, and not something that's really been done before, IMO... (690 characters)

2.61/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

A - Clear with a copper color and tall off white head.

S - Spice, grain and more spice.

T - Spice and grain.

M - Thin and unremarkable.

D - Limited due to the fact the spice is too much for me.

This may be a fantastic beer for some of you out there, but for me there is too much spice. I would try to distinguish what spices are causing the unpleasant taste for me but I just want to get this one over with. Anything that says Stone and Belgian is off limits for me from now on. (483 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +5.8%

Found a few of these buried away at my local generic "Liquor Store" and realized I hadn't properly reviewed it yet.

A: Pour a light amber color with a smaller head that fades quite quick but does leave some nice trace of lacing around the glass.

S: Very light on the hoppy scent that's oh so typical from the guys at Stone. That being said it has a nice spicey Belgian nose, with hints of clovesi, bubblegum, banana and I swear a smell a hint of strawberry in there. This is all capped off with a nice mellow caramel malt scent.

T: Very spicey initial taste that leads way to that caramel malt that was present in the aroma. A bit of an orange spice flavor is hidden in there, and then it finishes up with a nice sweet bubblegum flavor. Again not much hop presence (compared to other Stone brews of course). Pretty good tasting beer.

MF: Sharp is the first word that comes to mind on this one it really hits your tongue very quickly, but then subdues a bit, I don't remember while drinking the others but this one seems just a wee bit flat....again though I'm not sure if it's just this bottle or not. So if it sounds off, ignore my rating on this part.

D: Above average for sure, it's a very pleasant beer to drink and does hide the alcohol percentage quite well. I might have to go pick up a few more!

Cheers Stone guys! (1,328 characters)

4.03/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a 1pt 6oz bottle into a Trois Pistoles chalice. A golden color with a brownish hugh - darker than most belgian pales. My first pour yielded a very thin head and translucent liquid. I let the last 10oz sit for 1.5 hours and warm, which produced a much thicker, creamier head and the yeast sediment gave it a much more opaque Trappist-like feel. The second pour yielded some nice sticky lace down the sides of the glass.

Very spicey complex smell. Citrus rind, coriander, yeast, sweet biscuity malts, juicy fruit. Taste was similar. A very full tripel. Bold citrus flavor - more aggresive than most Belgian pales. A very bitter hops aftertaste - a nice touch.

Mouthfeel is moderate. Carbonation is very fine, champagne-like - good for the style. Pretty good drinkability.

I have real passion for Belgian ales and this is no exception. A very adequate, big, bold beer. Thanks to Stone for this one - alot of fun. I bought a few of these - will be interesting to see if they mellow a little bit with age. It will be fun to try these in 2012. (1,052 characters)

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.