Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

I was happy to find this one on a road trip but it ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Pours a clear, bright orange color with a thin white head. Aroma is a bit stingy with oranges, perfume and an assortment of spices. The mouthfeel on this is very tart, tangy and slightly dry. The strongest flavors are oranges and coriander, with lots of spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg), some lemon, and light fragrant hopping thrown in there. Interesting but the flavors just don't work for me. Halfway through the bomber I was sick of it. Not an awful beer but it is the worst Stone product I have had so far. Maybe I should have waited until "sometime after December 12th, 2012."

2.94/5  rDev -22%

Head on this golden ale disappears almost instantly. Given its age, I am not too surprised. I tried to pour gently but still managed to land some of the yeast beasts into our Teku glasses.

Syrup, honey and white grape notes predominate. A bit of ginger and citrus pith. A bit of creaminess but maintains dryness in the finish. Carbonation is crisp and tight; it feels really good on the palate. I wish a bit more fruit character would come out and play with the delightful carbonation. Medium to medium-full body.

Overall this is an interesting beer that I held onto for almost six years. I'm guess a year younger might have actually been its prime time as there is a hint of oxidization. This maybe would have been best for a 08.08.08 or 09.09.09 release? Some of the fruit and spice notes have been mellowed out too much in the aging process without much else to give way.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Oh man, this was good. Had this in their 22 oz bottle and man was this good. A great murky amber appearance a thin to medium head. Very well carbonated, I can hear the fizzing. The smell alluring: thick fruity malt aromas with big hints of spice and sugars. The taste had a wicked good, smooth aftertaste. Pretty sweet and dragged out flavors. A fizzing carbonation, like previously mentioned, helped make this pretty refreshing but please enjoy this beer without a meal; it should be enjoyed all on its own. Very nice.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

22oz brown bomber, bottle conditioned.
Served cellar temp in a Duvel glass.
Poured a bright gold. Plenty of big bubbled carbonation. Head dissipated quickly. Deep malt aroma, with some Belgian spice as well as some other hard to pin down spice, a little bubblegum as well.

Full bodied with lots of malt sweetness. Some spice from the yeast as well some other subtle spice flavors (ginger?) There is a slight hoppiness in the middle. Nice mouthfeel. Some warming from the alcohol. Quite drinkable even on a hot summer day. Nice American interpretation of a Belgian style.

My first Vertical Epic. Didn't really knock my socks off, but I enjoyed it.
I plan on saving a bottle for at least a year.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

A: gold/copper, little haze or head

S: ginger, cardamom, citrus, spice. Reminds me of a Christmas beer.

T: Again, a lot of ginger, cardamom, citrus, etc. Ginger stir fry in a bottle. Really interesting, unusual brew. The only other beer I can recall boasting of ginger is Dogfish Pangea.

M: Medium body, not a lot of carbonation.

D: Very good, but I wouldn't want a ton of it at once.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my New Belgium globe glass. Reviewed on 7/7/07.

A: Pours a deep golden amber color. Not a lot of head and it recedes quickly.

S: Lots of great smells; fruit, spices, and yeast.

T: This thing is like a tripel on steroids. Lots of fruit up front in the form of grapefruit, orange, and apricot. The spices are up next; lots of citrus peel and more prominent spices. All of the tripel flavors that you would typically find but in typical Stone style, they are more amplified. Very flavorful and complex yet at the same time it's still refreshing.

M: Full bodied, a bit thick, light carbonation.

D: I enjoyed the hell out of this beer. I've got another bottle that I'm going to age until 12/12/12 and I'm very interested to see how this thing will change with time. I sure did like it fresh. It's very flavorful and delicious. Another excellent brew from Stone.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark, orangish brown with a small head which retain very well. Smells creamy, sweet fruits, banana, slight alcohol odor. The taste is sweet, spicy and a bit peppery. The mouthfeel is a bit thick, well carbonated and leaves a sweet coating on the inside of the mouth. This is very well balanced and easy to sip on but a bit of an overload to the senses if overconsumed.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a medium amber. head was several fingers and seemed to be slightly pink in color. The head left a thin layer on the top of the beer that lasted the entire time. Aroma smells earthy, with touches of lemon and white chocolate. Taste reminded me of gingerbread, slightly spiced. Felt good in the mouth, not to sticky, and just slighly carbonated in the mouth. Very easily drinkable, didn't notice the alcohol until too late. Was slightly warming which was nice.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

A- pours a deep amber, brilliant orange color, with a 2 finger head. Great retention, heavy lace, and small bubbles continue to rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- Complex, very interesting nose, filled with caramel malts, big spice and herbal component. Citrus hops, backed by ginger spice make a great combo. Honey shows up towards the back as well.... nice

F- Big time spice and herb flavors. Cardamom and citrus seem to dominate the flavor, but thyme and basil seem to be in there too. Beautiful spicy yeast strain, with lots of phenols. Ginger hits on the finish, along with a touch of honey sweetness. Fantastic.

M- creamy, oily, and thick.

D- quite good, but a slight alcohol burn after a few sips.

Overall, a great beer. Like many of the other vertical epics, I can't really see this lasting another 5 and a half years. We'll just have to see how the spice holds up. I guess we'll see in the future. Either way, pick one up if you can still find some.

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

all credits due to Stone. The Rock! this is not my favorite style of beer and definately not my first choice at the retailer. this is the first beer from Stone that i will not buy again. with that said it looked good, smelled ok for beer - cloves come to mind. mouth feel and taste are cloves alcohol and more cloves.

ok, worth the notch in the belt.

suckem up and movem out.

giblet

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Dark gold with a brief 1-finger head, some small particulate matter floating around.

Fruity, estery aroma -- mostly pear, followed by some stawberry and a bit of alcohol.

Flavor starts moderately sweet with some mild pear, pineapple, and strawberry. From there, things fall off a bit -- mouthfeel thins and a mildly sour graniness takes over. A touch of alcohol in the finish, as well as a mild peppery note. "Bland" comes to mind, other than the prickly alcohol heat at the end.

I really like most of Stone's beers, but this just didn't quite make the grade. A good brew but not a great one.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

Reviewed on 12.12.12
Celebrating the Vertical Epic Series

P: Slightly hazy golden body with active carbonation and nice tight layer of white head.

S: Lots of ginger, bubblegum, fresh grass, steeped green tea, citrus peel, jasmine, cardamom, lavender and stone fruit.

T/M: Floral flavors take the lead, followed by ginger, sweet malt, spices, Belgian yeast, citrus and herbal bitterness. Crisp dry body that has creaminess and finishes with herbal bitterness.

O: Well blended spices, stone fruits and aged nice. A light crisp and spicy beer for those warmer months. This more more like a Tripel in style.

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Purchased a couple months ago, and sampled on 03.28.08, so it's got a solid 6 months or so in the bottle. Overall- it's quite good, but I think it should get better with age, so I think I may keep my other bottle until sometime after 12.12.12 like they suggest.

Upon opening the bottle, the first thing I thought was "Unibroue." This isn't just because it's a belgian ale- it's more than that. The yeast characteristics in both the smell and taste seem to me to be very much akin to a unibroue beer. So I'm thinking it's the same yeast, and if not, it's a damn similiar one.

Color is deep and golden as promised with a huge saison-like head. Not much lacing to my surprise. Very effervescent with lots of floral and citrus notes. Very nice. The glacier and crystal hops do a fine job at bittering, but for now at least, the orange, grapefruit, and lemon peel are just a tad bit too much right now. It seems that I can taste all three, but perhaps I am imagining them to an extent. The mouthfeel will benefit from some more aging as well I think... all those peels just leave the mouth a bit puckered up. Nothing over the top, just a tad bit too much right now.

Overall this is already developing into a very very drinkable and excellent beer. The blending of the various spices I think is going to be outstanding a year or two out from now. Not bad at all right now, but I have high expectations for this down the road.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Appearance- Nice, slightly orange. Nice, white head with some retention and a decent amount of lacing.

Aroma- Wonderful mix of orangy cirtris, Belgian yeast and a hint of earthiness. Just enough hops in there so you know you're not sniffing fruit juice. Smells very inviting.

Taste- Again, quite citrusy. Tastes great. Just a hint of yeastiness. Not much taste on the front of middle of toungue. Nost of it is on the rear as you swallow. Very interesting. A hint of candy sweetenss in there, and you get a feel for the alcohol as you drink it, but it's not over-powering.

Body- Quite slick. Slides down the gullet very nicely. Perfect level of CO 2 for the style. Okay, maybe a hair more would be nice. It's tought to put a finder on it. Body is medium for the style.

Drinkability- It's delicious, but not very sessionable. If you are just getting into Belgian ales, this is a very good starting point.

2.53/5  rDev -32.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- light copper in color, active brew with constant bubbling, some sediment floating, tiny head that doesn't hold well, but falls to a tiny foam ring that hangs out through the drinking period

S- malty with fruity esters, spicy yeast and phenolic

T- toasted grain and fruit from malts, some citric rind at finish, spicy throughout even more so at finish

M- medium body, spicy and hot(alcohol), dry finish

D- drinkable but not something i enjoyed, and probably wont drink this again until the series completes in 2012

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yes yes I know, I couldn't wait that long either, it simply called to me, and I answered.

A - A very pretty solid bronze color. Minimal head which disappeared fast, no lacing.

S - Very sweet, like grapefruit and orange juice. Makes my tongue water up just a bit.

T - Wow, at first very sweet and spicy, but the aftertaste packs a bitterness so potent it feels like being slapped. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just powerful. Hard to detect the alcohol with the complex battle being waged by the different profiles here. As it warms up the bitterness dies down a bit and this becomes quite enjoyable!

M - Full bodied and noticeably thick, yet it finishes much cleaner than I had expected.

D - I'm not sure how many of these I would be able to handle, but I could definitely go for another. I bet other beers taste like water after this one, it's quite brutal on the palate.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

The nicely roasted toffee malt palate features a rich clovey herbal character that is accompanied by a clean, spicy ginger note and some definite coriander. Firm toastiness in the finish.

Nice, especially if you’re in to spice-laden Belgians. But, I wonder if several years of aging will do that much good for this one?

Recommended…

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.