1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 535 | Reviews: 378 | Show All Ratings:
thickerfreakness

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured this one into a Unibroue tulip. It has a nice white head and the color is what I would imagine from a wit/trippel hybrid. The smell is expected from a wit with a little bit of punch. I realize this is 10 months old already but I just don't really like this taste. I think I'm tasting some ginger and it just really isn't pleasant to me. I also taste clove and spicy belgian yeast but the ginger taste is just ruining this for me. Overall this is my least favorite of all the Stone beers I have had.

05-01-2008 23:19:37 | More by thickerfreakness
Cascadia

Oregon

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

Got two bottles, one for now and one for years to come. Not sure if I'll make it to 2012, but we'll see. Pours a pretty golden-straw color, with a very small head that quickly disapears. Smells nice and estery, with a fruity fig-like quality, almost bubble-gummy. Tastes good and belgian, with a buble-gummy up fronter and a nice warming finish. This one does get more complex as it warms up, so sip slowly. A nice beer, there's no way of knowing where it will be in 5 years, that's for sure.

Cheers!

06-24-2007 02:57:48 | More by Cascadia
BlackJeremiah

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 22 oz. bomber into a tulip glass.

A: Dark golden-amber, almost orange. Hazy, mild streamers, thick white head reduces to a thin layer with slight rockiness.

S: Fruit esters, citrics, some eastern/Earl Grey-type scents (orange, bergamot), spicy, but not dark and clovey like the '06. Lighter and subtler, with some hints of sweet pastries and piquant Belgian yeastiness.

T: Highly disparate spice and citric profiles. The advertised four malts run the gamut from bready to sweet and almost doughnuty. Grapefruit, orange, candied sugar, ginger, pepper, and Earl Grey tea all jump in the pool and blend somewhat well. Needs time in the cellar (duh, it's a VE), but very promising.

M: Light, slick, barely effervescent and somewhat cloying on the hard palate.

D: The most drinkable of the four VEs (04-07) that I've tasted. A nice Tripel/Saison blend. Refreshing at first, but ultimately too cloying for more than two glasses' worth in a sitting.

06-23-2007 07:28:52 | More by BlackJeremiah
wampahoofus

Beer pours light amber with very little head. A good deal of cabonation is present.

The aroma is a bit floral and fruity. The alcohol is present in the aroma as well.

The taste is a crisp, malty, sweetness with a the belgian yeast sitting in the background.

The sweetness lingers nicely on the roof of the mouth.

This is a very pleasent sipper.

07-08-2009 01:29:43 | More by wampahoofus
Hershdawg

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Bottle into VE Glass

A: Pale amber. Small filmy head. Lots of bubbles even though its 3 years old.

S: Sweet. A little leather, grapefruit, cotton candy. overall excellent but hard to describe. Smells wonderful for a 3 year old bottle

T:Wow! Piney hops at the back, Sweet beginnings, a little leather. coriander, sage, thyme. Citrus undertones, supposedly there is ginger but its seems to have fallen out. I wish I had this new.

M: Crisp, not to much carbonation bite.

D: Supprisingly good for a 8.4 ABV beer.

If I had the other bottles starting from 2002 I'd would have kept this one but I don't.

03-05-2010 01:21:46 | More by Hershdawg
likestoswallow

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

650ml bottle. Poured an almost translucent amber color (some cloudiness) with a quickly disappearing off-white head. Aroma of a Belgian Trappist wanna-be. It reminded me of Chimay, which is not a bad thing. The flavor was sweet with spices such as coriander and ginger and there is a sweet maltines. Hops are well balanced and understated, which is something I find unusual for a stone product. Mouthfeel is full and satisfying. Finish is long with coriander. Initially I did not care much for this concoction, but as I finished the bottle I came to appreciate it more and more. I would speculate that this is one beer that can not be accurately rated by a one, or a two, ounce sample. This goes great with pretzels and Gruyere De Comte cheese.

10-20-2007 02:01:05 | More by likestoswallow
Rippeddisc

Hawaii

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

My friend I was visiting was kind enough to open one of his stash when I was visiting in Salt Lake City. Very impressively complex. Raisnbread, citrus, spices on the nose. Appearance is light amber with nice head to start but fades quickly and no lacing. Taste is as complex as the nose. Very drinkable and tasty. Sweet a bit with the last bit leaving a bit of a citrus kick. Am curious to see what it will be like when it reaches it's supposed maturity in 2012.

03-15-2008 04:18:10 | More by Rippeddisc
Torps

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured into Reidel O series cab glass.

Pours a cloudy, dark amber with red highlights. Massive white head with minimal lacing. Appearance is very appetizing.

Lots of aroma emanating from the head. Honey, apple, peach, spice and yeast. I sensed a bit of piney hops, but couldn't revive the aroma when the head dissipated.

This is very much in the belgian strong ale style. Lots of fruit, citrus though the ABV is very apparent. The carbonation danced feverishly on my tongue.

12-23-2009 23:04:46 | More by Torps
FARGO619

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

EPIC bottle share with some good people. This one was okay, but I'm only rating this beer as I went into it with an open mind. I'm not into Belgian style beers, but love Stone. Maybe with age it'll get better, but here we go.

A-Light in color with with head. Went down quick. Not too much carbination.

S-Ginger and citrus notes. Hint of sweetness.

T-Spicy in the tongue that dissipates quickly leaving a ginger flavor behind. The hops are still very present, especially for a 3 year old beer.

M-It went down okay. The citrus and spice with mild ginger taste.

D-I have two more that will try as the years go by.

Serving type: bottle/22oz.

06-24-2011 13:30:46 | More by FARGO619
Mryup

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Deep golden color with red/orange/yellow highlights. Average white head after a semi-vigorous pour.

S: Heavy malt, hops, spice (ginger among others) with subtle hints of citrus fruit.

T: Heavy malt and spice dominate the taste with the hops (Glacier and Crystal) and citrus fruit to add a very nice balance. Unique. The alcohol is melded perfectly.

M: Wet, medium-bodied that holds its balance throughout. Carbonation is high but seems fitting for the beer.

D: Considering the alcohol content, this is a very drinkable beer. The style makes it so it's not a session beer but still enjoyable none the less.

NOTE: After finishing this beer I have edited my drinkability score from a 2.5 to 4! One of the previous reviewers was correct in that this is not a beer to rate by sampling. It gets better and better. Impressive.

10-21-2007 20:24:26 | More by Mryup
blindtiger24

3.86/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4oz draft pour into a tulip glass.

A: Deep amber orange color with a super thin head.

S: Rum raisin booze smell.

T: Apricot, molasses, clove, and honey flavors.

M: Sweet and slightly drying.

O: Nice tasting but the mouthfeel seemed out of whack.

01-22-2014 20:32:02 | More by blindtiger24
mitchfor3

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a cloudy orange with a fizzy white froth that fades fairly quickly to a thin layer of head and a collar. Appears highly carbonated.

Smell is familiar yet unique - paradoxical? Yes. Inviting? Yes. Notes of citrus and orange peel dance on top of the Belgian-style yeast to create a sweet, zesty aroma.

Carbonation dances on my tongue with the first sip. Chewy malts dominate. What a unique flavor - truly mission accomplished with respect to Stone's goal of fusing a trippel and a saison, although I taste more trippel-like character than saison. With each sip the orange and lemon notes become more pronounced - perhaps even too much so. Perhaps could use a bit more body towards the end of the taste - initially mouthfeel is nice and thick but towards the swallow the malty flavor fades too quickly, giving way to a citrusy aftertaste that isn't altogether enjoyable.

This is a worthy effort by Stone to branch out from the bread and butter hopbombs. I still prefer what they normally do, but this is an offering that is worth checking out, if for no other reason because it is remarkably unique.

07-03-2007 05:47:51 | More by mitchfor3
drewmprs

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance:
Poured into a belgian tulip, a medium 1" head that rapidly fades. Steady carbonation of small bubbles that dissipate into a medium sized head bubble. Medium Gold in color, medium clarity with a slight haze. Lack of brussels lace.
Aroma:
Complex, lots of ginger and orange peel. Definitely spicy, somewhat perfumy. Overbearing peppery and alcohol flavor.
Flavor:
Way too much clashing here. Perhaps better with age, like in 2012. I found the spiciness and cardamon aftertaste too much to overcome. Mild malt, and low hopping, especially for a Stone. Very low bitterness, very low astringency, not proper level of effervescence for the style.
Mouthfeel:
Just interesting enough to make me want to drink another in 5 years. Candi sugar is obvious on the finish.

Far better on tap.

02-28-2008 02:49:38 | More by drewmprs
Sconnie

Wisconsin

1.98/5  rDev -47.5%

Had this at the Stone 08.08.08 event at Brasserie V in Madison. Stone has just hit the Madison market, and has hit hard, with their posters and taps showing up all over the city. But I have to say, I have yet to be impressed with ANY of their beers, especially this one.
I was told by a Stone Rep that this was a Saison style, even though it's listed as a belgian strong ale here. Pours a pale gold, smells very strongly of spices. The taste is all spice: tons of ginger, cinnamon, clove and coriander, nothing else at all. After a year of aging you'd think the spices would have died down, but not at all. Maybe there was more hop flavor initially that has worn off with age, making this beer unbalanced, but whatever it is, this was flat out BAD. Spices in the face with nothing else going on. I could only choke down 1/3 of the pint. I hate to waste beer, and this is the only beer I can remember that I have ever sent back without finishing as it was just plain un-drinkable.
After having this, their arrogant bastard, ruination and the 08.08.08, I am very disappointed with Stone. Add on their "you're probably to stupid to understand how good our beer is" marketing campaign and I'm totally done with this brewery.

08-12-2008 19:30:15 | More by Sconnie
lifebeer

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

a. pours a golden/orange, but cloudy-straw under the light, half-finger of head that doesn't last nearly long enough, minimal lacing

s. nice combination of citrus and apple, bread, coriander being the highlight

t. overwhelming rush of salty-metallic lemon, bread-maltiness and coriander, finishes with some alcohol

m. medium malty round

d. not the most drinkable, unless coriander is your favorite flavor, begins and ends with coriander

02-13-2008 01:55:45 | More by lifebeer
jamesm7485

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

As a stone whore myself, i saw this in my local bottle shop and figured eh what the hell ill pick up a few. Im glad i did as a frequent ris and dipa drinker this was a nice lighter change without being flavorless. Nice fruity taste but not in an offensive way and its hard to pinpoint what it is. Not stones typical offering's but its a very good solid beer and im looking forward to trying the rest of the line.

05-22-2008 20:41:55 | More by jamesm7485
chadlebald

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

Bought 4 of these on 6/22. Will keep the other 3 to age, but MUST try one now.

Beautiful golden amber color. Light head that dissipates relatively quickly. Oh, the smell is nice. Unmistakably Belgian esters: yeasty, subtle spice, banana and orange peel. It actually lingers inside my nose.

No surprise, the taste is quite good as well. Nice fruit and spice--the cardamon stays present for a good amount of time in the finish. Just enough hops to put it on the drier side, and with the ginger giving its 'hotness' to encourage the next sip. Warming my insides as I write this (and continue to drink more). Yummy.

It's a very good beer right now, so I wonder what time will do. (can't wait to find out!)

God bless those Belgians for brewing their beers. And bless those San Diegans at Stone for brewing another future gem.

06-25-2007 04:41:31 | More by chadlebald
SMADMS

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

poured from a 22oz bottle

no chance this is waiting til 12/12/2012 as botle recommends

A-- very nice apricot color with fine bubbly 2 finger head
S-- wonderful fruity tones, flowers, slight spice
T-- follows the nose, fruit (pears) and the spice are there but the zest and peels are lost in the body. nice earthiness
M-- wonderfully clean and light
D-- very nice BSA well balanced flavors (lots of them)

this is my first of the veticals but with only 11 days to go looking forwards to 08/08/08

07-28-2008 13:34:39 | More by SMADMS
quikfish13

A: Cloudy honey orange with a nice foamy off white head. Highly carbonated as the head vanishes quite slowly.

S: Nice citrus aroma. Also a small hint of apple is noticed underneath the aroma of oranges and lemons.

T: A good hop bitterness with nice earthy malty tones. A little alcoholic bite at the end but not enough to ruin the beer.

M: Very smooth. Not to bitter and does not sit heavy at all on the taste buds. Crisp and refreshing.

D: Highly drinkable in my opinion. I would like to have one more aged but this was very nice. Be sure to pick one up this year.

07-28-2007 08:02:48 | More by quikfish13
session1979

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Setting/Pairing: I got a call from a buddy while I was in Vegas letting me know that the 07 Vertical Epic had hit the shelves in Denver and last night I had a chance to visit my shop and snag a few. I poured it into my Riedel snifter and enjoyed the first half on the patio with nothing but a cool breeze and the second half on the couch with my wife watching a movie.

Appearance: This is presented in the classic Stone bottle and print. It pours a cloudy orange/bronze hue with a creamy 2 finger head and moderate retention and lacing.

Smell: Big Belgian yeast, spices, Fruit and lots of it - apricot, peach and citrus. Sweet bubblegum and grapefruit are here as well.

Taste: Very complex, mild citrus hops hit the tongue first and then some spices - dates and figs, fruit and funky Belgian yeast. Tons of malt characteristics, you can tell they used several different varieties here. The minty Belgian flavor is there but it fades a bit to the background as the beer warms, wonderful sweet flavors on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Very round and smooth, nice big body.

Drinkability: I had no problem hammering this bomber in a sitting. It is bottle conditioned so it has only light carbonation but it has so many flavors that the alcohol fades into the distance and is soon forgotten.

Final Comments: I will try to keep the fact that I am a Stone whore out of equation and just say that this is a good beer with wonderful potential. It is distinct in its Belgian characteristics so if these are things you do not enjoy you may not care for this beer. I was highly anticipating its release and I was not disappointed. I plan to enjoy many more as it is a perfect beer to share with friends on a summer evening. My advice is to buy 3 or 4, enjoy a couple over the summer and lay at least one down until 2012 for the vertical tasting. Enjoy!

06-27-2007 17:02:23 | More by session1979
TheBeerWolf

Nevada

2.2/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

This review is based on my current tasting. As others stated a few years might help this one out.

A - Poured a coppery yellow. Minimal carbonation and lacing in mine.

S - Kind of spicey smell. Not a bad aroma at all.

T - This is where I was very upset. Too much spicey bite. While some might like this it was much too overbearing for me. I imagine this is what it is like to chew on one of those cheap gross spicey potpourri things people have in glass dishes. No real malt charecter to help out here either. Really besides the overwhelming spice it is kind of a thin brew with alcohol bite. The aftertaste is almost like carboard. It was a real chore to get through the bomber.

M - Very little carbonation really but not a bad mouthfeel per se. When you get past the taste.

D - The way it tastes now I would not really WANT to drink much of it. Besides that it has kind of too much alcohol bite.

Honestly I don't mean to be a jerk I love almost every other stone beer and I loved last years vertical. But I think they may have stepped into something they could not make, I have had a few Saisons and Belgan Golden Ales (from Belgium) and they just kick the crap out of this one. Way too much spice. I will leave the other 2 bottles I got for a few months, once the spice dies down they will probably be a little more drinkable then. As another guy stated they said bottle conditioned but no yeast at the bottom. Strange. Honestly there is not much charecter besides the spice so in 5 years I imagine this just being a thin alcohol soup with subdued spiciness. I love stone, they are my go to beer company. Stick to what you know guys please. After I drank it I had to brush my tongue to get the cardboard aftertaste off my tongue. Maybe I got a bad bottle who knows but I am not even trying the other bottles until a few months have passed.

07-09-2007 17:21:57 | More by TheBeerWolf
deeplennon

Washington

2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

I bought this expecting hops, not remembering that all the other vertical epics were Belgian based. My grave mistake.

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm rarely a fan of American Belgians. And stating that, this one does nothing to change that perception.

Color is dark for a pale, closest I can think of in the color palate of Belgians would be Bush (Scaldis), which technically is a Belgian barley wine not a pale with much more malt than your typical Belgian. Aroma on this one has Belgian yeast characterists, but they're not strong. Mostly fruits coming through, with some alcohol. Flavor again is muted with similar effect as aroma, body is almost watery like a German hefeweizen. Alcohol comes in much stronger than the stated 8.4%. I frankly can't believe it's not pushing 10% based on flavor. While yes, many American brews between 8-9% have this much alcohol presence, I can't think of one Belgian that even comes close. The beer label claims it's bottle conditioned, yet no yeast was left in the bottle or apparent in the pour.

Overall I've gotta say bleeeh. Give me a Stone IPA over this any day.

07-04-2007 05:42:39 | More by deeplennon
JRhode

22 oz. bottle with jhamel poured into a Palm tulip.

Nice glowing amber color with a pillowy head. No lacing. Suspended sediment.

Citrusy sweet malt smell with a tinge of alcohol. Smells more like a saison than a triple.

Soon after pouring tasted very saison like with a nice dry finish. After warming, alcohol astringency/bitterness became more apparent. Possible that citrus peel also contributes to bitter finish.

Full bodied with lively carbonation.

Very drinkable for 8.4% abv.

08-28-2009 03:36:47 | More by JRhode
Sticket

Wisconsin

P- a declared 8.4% abv in a 22oz brown bomber bottle.

A- pours a clear medium amber to deep gold with a light tan colored bubbly head that recedes into a ring around the edge.

S- citrus of lemons and oranges and ginger aroma.

T- starts with a mild sweetness followed with bitter ginger spice and finishes with a moderate amount of bitterness from the hops, alcohol is hidden well in this powerful (and to the style) flavor.

M- medium body that is moderately carbonated.

D- well balanced with a solid amount of alcohol that goes down easy but sits a little heavy. A great tasting beer, but most won't drink more than one at a time. I could see myself sitting down on a dark and cold winter night celebrating with this one.

08-20-2008 00:46:18 | More by Sticket
koolchas

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

* bomber poured in a tulip glass

i have had the enjoyment of drinking two of these so far as this is my first taste of the anticpated vertical epic series from stone brewing.

poured a deep dark golden color with a splash of amber mixed in with carbonation bubbles clinging to the the majority of the tulip. the smell is definetly more spices vs. citrus. as mentioned many times, it has the taste of pepper with orange and banana overtones. very belgian in style. a bit of alcohol bite lingers in the mouths but, only for a short period of time as the aftertaste of sweet citrus kicks in making you want to sip more. very tasty but, be careful as that abv can sneak up on you and hit you with a left hook.

overall a very good brew and i am sure this one will get better as it ages. my recommendation is get at least a case if you enjoy the first bottle since it can be cellared until december 12, 2012. i just hope i can keep a bottle that long! hats of to stone on this one!

cheers!

06-22-2007 07:46:31 | More by koolchas
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.