Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Imstillthegman

Delaware

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

I think this is one of the best, if not the best, fresh Vertical Epics that Stone has put out.

Pours a clear golden orange color. There's a thin white head that fades quickly to a fine sheet. Very light lacing remains.

Aroma is very nice blend of green apples, yeast, spices, candied sugars, and some citrus. I couldn't wait to dive into this one.

The flavor is almost as good as the smell. Spicy coriander, green apple, yeasty funk, just all of these great flavors melding together. Wonder if this will improve with age?

Spot on mouthfeel thats nicely carbonated. Only a very slight alcohol burn at the finish. This is a great choice for this very warm evening. I only have nine left from my case...I'm curious to see how long they last. I'll save at least one for each of the next five years.

08-04-2007 22:12:18 | More by Imstillthegman
tavernjef

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Blurry peachy gold. Thin capping of light white foam of tough strength as it lasts for good length before fading to a solid collar at the edge of the goblet. Lacing is stretched in large globby strings along the face of the glass.

Aroma is fair and light with a mildness bringing apple, melon, and berry fruityness over a soft sweet doughyness and a bit of Belgian yeast is evident with some hard candy factions of sugar.

Taste is pretty solid, nice even candish maltyness leaning in with rounded tones of soft fruits and dough. Good grab of candied yeast gives it an earthy yet sweetly spiced nudge of affection within the fruityness. Flavors are unique with the fruit, not really one fruit or another can be made out. Seems kinda orangey watermelon, pale peached, and a bit figgy. Some pithy citrus notes graze the back end adding some depth to the malts and fruits.

Feel is just over medium with a firm creamyness and yeasty carbonation bite to it. Holds its tone well as it stays pretty snappy and doesn't really have a finish. It lingers with fruity peels and yeasty things.

Another pretty solid offering from the Stone VE line up, not a favorite from what I've had other yeasr, but pretty solid and worth trying out.

08-01-2007 23:51:53 | More by tavernjef
edskirk3

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

My first taste of the Vertical Epic series. I actually had a sample of it at Belgium Comes To Cooperstown before buying this 22oz bomber last week.

The fine print on the bottle suggests I should age this until 2012. I seriously lack that kind of patience so I'm opening it now at an age of 3 weeks.

Vessel of choice: Orval goblet.

Pours hazy orange-gold. Not much head to speak of, except after the pour itself. The head sticks to the side of the glass in a thin ring when all is said and done. Slight viscosity. There's an earthy/musty aroma wafting from the glass. Saison yeast? I've used it in homebrewing and it smells very similar. Also present is orange peel (coriander).

And now to taste. First impression is sourdough bread. Very yeasty. There is then some slight tartness of citrus laced with faint spiciness from either ginger, cardamom or even peppercorn. Doughiness and spice linger a while on the tongue. Warming from alcohol is barely noticeable. Very oily mouthfeel.

This is indeed a young beer which cellaring could only help. Honestly, I think it tastes good as is but the oily mouthfeel is kind of a turn-off. I imagine the flavor profile coming together a lot better with some time on the shelf.

08-01-2007 01:47:24 | More by edskirk3
andrewm190

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

A good beer. I was not expecting it to be nearly as fruity as it was, though. When it is first poured, it looks amazing, very dark golden color, solid head. As it sits for a few seconds, and only a few, it looks, as one previous reviewer remarked, very much like apple sauce. When you drink it, you might be tasting an apple as well. The beer is also very sweet. These are not the traits that I love best in a beer, they are, however, unique, and entirely drinkable (quafable?). I don't spell. Anyway, I like to reward beers for being unique, and this one, if not in appearance, certainly is. it loses point because there is only so much fruityness I can handle, but it is none-the-less a good beer, and I recommend it.

07-31-2007 01:57:15 | More by andrewm190
orsulacp

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

I got this at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA, I just had to have it even though the reviews were less than stellar. It poured a deep orange amber with a small off white head, very very clear. I don't have the nose to pick out all the spices, there is a very spicy peppery start with a big sweet fruit, apples and pears, smell following the pepper. There are some flowery smells in there too. There is just as much complexity in the taste as in the nose. It starts very sugary and fruity, but that goes away quickly leaving a nice peppery, floural taste. I don't know how this will get better in 5 years, like the bottle says, I think the floural hops balance this beer nicely right now. It has a very dry mouthfeel, even with the sugary start, that is impressive to me.

07-31-2007 00:13:24 | More by orsulacp
GClarkage

2.85/5  rDev -24.4%

07/29/07- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, vintage 2007. Poured into my St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance- A semi-flat looking deep orange color. Smaller than 1/4 inch head forms...a bit creamy looking...leaves minor lace spotting behind.

Smell- Got a bit too close to the beer because I couldn't smell jack. Well, I ended up with a nostril full of 070707. It wasn't very nice either. Smelled like sugary corn syrup. Smelled some orange-tangerine notes as it warmed, but mostly sugar.

Taste- Tasted pretty much like it smelled. Overwhelming corn syrup like flavor. Some corriander and cardamom and maybe some white pepper. Can see a touch of tripel and a touch of saison, but not ones that I would want to drink on a regualr basis.

Mouthfeel- Very low carbonation, almost flat. Yucky sugary coating of the tongue and mouth.

Drinkability- Damn, I hope this one really improves with the years. My least favorite of the VE's so far.

07-30-2007 18:33:11 | More by GClarkage
PSUDREW

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

I gotta say, I love me some transmogrification. A + B definitely equals more then a C.

Pours a nice golden color. Foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly. Very sweet and citrusy nose.

Very very sweet 1st taste. it is spicy at the end, but the sweetness definitely carries. Mostly malt, with hints of honey. There is a definite tartness in the aftertaste, not sure how to classify it. Spicy, has some kick and the alcohol adds a kick and a chewy mouth feel.

Decent body, pretty good tastes makes this worth a try. Interested to see how this ages

07-30-2007 03:06:47 | More by PSUDREW
Gmann

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a golden amber color with a below average head for Belgian standards. After a few moments the beer looks flat. The smell is fantastic, hits the tripel smell on the head. The aroma is medicinal, spiced with corriander, honey notes, candi sugar, everything that makes up the Belgian funk smell. The taste is of honey malt, corriander, medicinal, candi sugar, it finishes with a light hop taste and granny smith apple tartness. Has a nice earthy quality. The feel is light almost watery, lightly carbonated which is nice to see in this style. Perhaps the best American version of a Belgian beer sans the appearance. Great smell and great taste. Hit the good Beligan style right on.

07-29-2007 03:32:09 | More by Gmann
jeffjfindley

1.3/5  rDev -65.5%

Washington Irving, is his darkest dreams could not have conjured up a more frightening headless apparition than this. After 30 seconds it looks like goddam apple juice. Smell is run of the mill for the style, fruity esters, citrus, et al. Unfortunately the smell does not prepare one for a flavor which can only be described as an unmitigated disaster. Tastes like somebody spilled a shitload of ginger and grapefruit juice into a glass of Boone's Farm. Mouthfeel is slightly less dreadful.

It's painful for me to write this, as I believe that there is not a finer brewery in the country than Stone. That's the point, though. I expected a hell of a lot more out of this. At least a head would have been a start, for God's sake. I've tried this twice now, because I thought for sure I must've just been in one of my moods the first time. Unfortunately the second time confirmed it for me. Maybe if this is cellared for 5 years the wildly disparate flavors in this will merge into something palatable, but for now this is an absolute hideous mess of a beer.

07-29-2007 02:50:28 | More by jeffjfindley
SixpointJMH

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a fairly crisp looking dark gold colour with a foamy head that dissolves rather quickly, leaving nary a trace of itself on the glass.

The aroma is very nice, with a good amount of spice mixed in with citrus, malt and a touch of noticeable yeast. It almost reminds me of a winter warmer for some reason.

Flavour is more of the same. I find that spice leads the way once again, blending with malt and citrus fairly evenly, with the latter providing some tartness along with some sweetness, mostly toward the finish. That said, I still can't escape the dominance (but not overpowering) of the spice in the flavour, and it's not a bad thing as it makes for a nice change of pace for a beer that's otherwise very much in line with the style for me. Mouthfeel is medium boded and a bit chewy. There's a nice dryness here.

This one hits the mark, especially as it warms a bit. Solid across the board, very drinkable fresh and should seemingly age nicely as well, but we shall see in about five and a half years...

07-29-2007 01:24:03 | More by SixpointJMH
quikfish13

A: Cloudy honey orange with a nice foamy off white head. Highly carbonated as the head vanishes quite slowly.

S: Nice citrus aroma. Also a small hint of apple is noticed underneath the aroma of oranges and lemons.

T: A good hop bitterness with nice earthy malty tones. A little alcoholic bite at the end but not enough to ruin the beer.

M: Very smooth. Not to bitter and does not sit heavy at all on the taste buds. Crisp and refreshing.

D: Highly drinkable in my opinion. I would like to have one more aged but this was very nice. Be sure to pick one up this year.

07-28-2007 08:02:48 | More by quikfish13
JoeyBeerBelly

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

22oz bomber, meant to be aged until 12.12.12, I didn't want to wait, so I served it in a pint glass.

A - clear, copper color, with a white head that really thinned out to a tiny ring.

S - all that citrus?... yep, you can smell the citrus, hops and some yeastiness, in this very young brewing,

T - I'm glad I drank it now, very tasty, well balanced flavors, sweet malt/fruitiness/little bittering from hops.

M - medium bodied, smooth carbonation, pleasant after taste.

D - it's very good tasting and goes down smooth, a nice drinkable treat for most beer lovers.

Final Note: I'm a little curious as to how this brew will age, but already knowing how good it is now would make it difficult for me to cellar it for any length of time, much less 5 years!
My local beer store just got a few cases of this beer in stock. I will definitely pick up 3 or 4 more of these and try to hang on to at least 1 until the 08.08.08 Vertical Epic is released.

07-28-2007 00:41:33 | More by JoeyBeerBelly
Brent

Kentucky

I know Stone added some citrus peel to give this beer a San Diego spin, but, to me, thought the beer hit the Belgian style dead-on. In a blind taste test, I don't think I could distinguish this from a native product. Also, unlike others in the series, I think this beer is ready to drink right now - and I'm curious to see what some age does with it. A little sharp at the front, with some yeasty, fruity notes in the middle. Alcohol is present but not obtrusive. Nicely executed.

07-26-2007 14:00:57 | More by Brent
oberon

4.08/5  rDev +8.2%

My fourth Vertical Epic series beer I have had the chance to try and again another winner.Poured into a large tulip glass a deep rich golden with a hint of burnt orange,a large fluffy sticky white head atop that held great lasting power.Fruit and yeast stand out most in the aromas the use of lemon,and watermelon peel show as does the ginger (wich shows up more in the flavor of the beer) along with some yeasty clove-like spice.Big almost chewy mouthfeel adds character to the beer,quite complex flavors juicy fruit along with some yeasty spice with a very noticeable ginger and white pepper element in the finish.Normally not a huge fan of the style but this has some American twists and complex flavors,very nice...again.

07-25-2007 23:23:02 | More by oberon
shirfan

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Dark gold with a brief 1-finger head, some small particulate matter floating around.

Fruity, estery aroma -- mostly pear, followed by some stawberry and a bit of alcohol.

Flavor starts moderately sweet with some mild pear, pineapple, and strawberry. From there, things fall off a bit -- mouthfeel thins and a mildly sour graniness takes over. A touch of alcohol in the finish, as well as a mild peppery note. "Bland" comes to mind, other than the prickly alcohol heat at the end.

I really like most of Stone's beers, but this just didn't quite make the grade. A good brew but not a great one.

07-25-2007 15:26:36 | More by shirfan
Gavage

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Appearance: clear yellowish orange in color. One finger head lingers around a while. Some spots of lace developed during the session.

Smell: big spiciness and some citrus tones are pleasant and enjoyable on the nose.

Taste: citrus is quite dominant with this in its young age. Ginger, oranges, lemon zest, and a yeast spiciness is balanced with a decent maltiness and a good hop bite. Alcohol is noticeable but not offensive.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp on the tonge and a touch of dryness finishes it out. Medium bodied beer. Long spicy and citrus laden aftertaste.

Drinkability: decent but this needs to mellow a bit. Definitely buy a few of these so you can try it over time.

07-25-2007 12:40:54 | More by Gavage
Foxman

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

It pours a wee bit hazy honey golden orange. A finger of just off-white head slips soon to a gauze of froth. Brows of lacing eye the inside of the glass.

The aroma is about currants and the sugar of toasted malt overlaid by a broad hoppiness and oily citrus fruit. Esters spice behind the scenes and the alcohol is hot and obvious.

Upon sipping, the grain is sweet with dried fruit and candy sugar. Citrus peels come through crisp, clean, and nippy. Ginger is well out front, like the pink curls in a Japanese box lunch, but it mates intriguingly with the cardamom. The hops are citrus dry, chiefly Cascade and pretty green. The alcohol here is still quite hot, but less so than in the aroma. Green apple esters and a mild malt reiteration move into a residually sweet but bittering crisp finish. It's busy, off-beat, and fetchingly blended.

Medium bodied, it feels muy mucho carbonated, which makes for an assertive trio with the malt and fruity spice.

I expected more from the aroma, but the flavor came up big. I'm not a huge ginger fan, but it works here in a complex, multi-layered mac-daddy beast. The ABV is searing on the nose, and while still hot on the palate, it's considerably more disguised, making it daringly drinkable. Everything is very sharp and in some cases raw right now, but I do like it. Still, six months to a year could do some interesting things.

07-23-2007 20:29:49 | More by Foxman
cbl2

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

7/22/2007 $6.55 22 oz. 8.40% Best by 12/12/12.

Appearance:

Pours a crystal clear medium brown with pink highlights. Little to no head, with just a fringe of tan around the rim.

Aroma:

Highly spicy, with loads of ginger leading the way along with a nice cherry juice aroma.

Taste:

Rather weak mouthfeel, with lots of citrus peel flavors dominating the palate. Mild hints of ginger with a buttery cherry finish. By far the most ho-hum of the Vertical Epics. Very little complexity present in this one, and I'm worried that this might not be able to go the distince until 2012, though my fingers are crossed.

07-23-2007 01:23:00 | More by cbl2
WeisGuy

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

a - pours a burnt orange color with a one-finger head, no retention or lacing

s - lots of maltiness and clove, a pronounced alcohol presence in the aroma as well

t - big maltiness up front with some orange and lemon citrus, lots of clove and other more subtle spices, finish is more spice and a decent amount of alcohol, still a bit hot

m - light-to-medium bodied, good deal of carbonation, moderately dry finish

d - the hotness of the alcohol limits drinkability somewhat, but I'm sure it will become less pronounced with a little age, nice Belgian that has an interesting taste

Decent Belgian style ale from Stone, but definitely not what they do best. I'd like to taste this one in a year or two to see how the alcohol has toned down.

07-23-2007 01:10:14 | More by WeisGuy
peabody

Kentucky

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Pours out a golden reddish amber with two fingers of white suds.
Smell is banana and clove and cinnamon and dried figs.Just a fantastic smell here.
Taste is licorice/anise with a caramel sweetness and the alcohol warmth. A fruity aftertaste with orange and cherry and mabey bubblegum?
This is better than everybody is saying it is. This has so damn much potential.
Mouthfeel is like eating a banana. You have the sweet stickyness without having a peel to throw away.
This one isn't good yet, but by 2010 it should be so darn kick ass.
I hope I can get a case of this.

07-22-2007 02:18:55 | More by peabody
williamherbert

3.45/5  rDev -8.5%

The color is a crystal-clear, light amber/orange color. Thin layer of head, along with some lace at the top. It looks to be pungent, yet there isn't that much carbonation.

The telltale smell is there of a spicy Belgian/saison. Sour champagne smell. Also some orange peel that goes along with the spicy flavor.

There is an initial sweet orange flavor, followed by a heavy alcoholic taste. The flavor is Belgian/sour. Some ginger ale and champagne. A distinctly perfumey aftertaste. There is a sweet undercarriage which salvages an otherwise harsh flavor.

The feel is bubbly at first, then smooths out. It's a heavy, harsh swallow. It gets a bit creamier as the carbonation bubbles out and it mellows, but it's still fizzy. It's heavy, bubbly, fizzy, sour, champagney, alcohol-fueled and saison-esque.

07-21-2007 05:26:44 | More by williamherbert
dblinkhorn

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a tulip glass.

Appearance - It pours a yellow-orange color that is very clear with some carbonation activity visible. The head builds slowly as you pour, and dissipates fairly quickly, settling at a thin half-finger cap of rough head. There is some lace left as you drink, but not much.

Smell - Definitely some strong notes of cloves and fig (your typical aroma for the Belgian style). There is also a rich malty aroma behind this.

Taste - Lots of really fresh clove and ginger flavor up front. This flavor eventually gives way to some slight souring and an interesting tropical fruitiness in the middle. The dark fruit flavors are actually not as present as I would have expected from the smell. As it finishes, there is a powdery yeast flavor and some hints of citrus essence. There is moderate alcohol presence.

Mouthfeel - Nice carbonation bite, which lends to the refreshing quality of this beer. It does not take away from it as with some other beers. The beer is quite smooth beyond the lively carbonation. It has a medium body.

Drinkability - The spice and herb flavors in this beer may be somewhat rich for some people, but I quite enjoyed them! Other than that, this beer is perfectly drinkable considering its style.

Overall, this is another great Vertical Epic. The added spices really add a great character to this beer. Also, these additions were done with the thought in mind to add to the beer's flavor. Many spiced beers are simply over-spiced and it takes away from the beer's base flavor. This was well done and compliments the beer overall. Well done again, Stone!

07-20-2007 19:51:13 | More by dblinkhorn
rhoadsrage

3.4/5  rDev -9.8%

Drank 1/25/13

(Served in a teku)
A- This beer pours a deep apricot body with a touch of haze and a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles supporting a thick ring of antique white head. The second glass has a micro-jetsam suspended in the body.

S- The spun sugar aroma has some bright lemon tartness to it with a mellow more full dry spice in the finish. There is some cardamom aroma with ginger warmth and a pale malt sweetness as it opens along with a cream aroma.

T- The jelly marmalade orange flavor takes on some lemon flavors that grow. The mellow cardamom is still strong with ginger heat growing stronger aswell, and some tangerine zest in the finish. The ginger heat shows up in the after taste. The finish is dry but the citrus gives it some perceived sweetness.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with an alcohol heat only on the exhale.

O- This beer improved a bit with age but the flavor profiles are a bit awkward together and has sort of a old time aftershave quality to the flavor. I was hoping for more yeast character to push the spice and citrus into secondary flavors, but it wasn’t there.

---
(Served in a tulip glass)
drank 7/20/2007
A- This beer has a crystal clear light amber body with a snow white head that fades to a thin ring around the glass. There is a gentle carbonation of tiny bubbles that glide to the surface.

S- The note of perfume and flower petals comes through with a dry spice note like that of cardamom and frankincense. There is a light green vegetation note in the finish but it is not specifically hops. The hints of pale sweet malt come through lightly as the beer warms but it has more corn sugar than malt qualities.

T- The taste of dry candy sugar comes through with a very light white wine note and a note of perfumed spun sugar. The note of cardamom is soft but increases as the beer warms. The finish has a soft grapefruit rind note with slight snap of ginger without the ginger taste. The green notes of hops are soft in the finish but are present with the other flavors.

M- This beer has a light mouthfeel with a light alcohol heat in the finish.

D- The spice flavors are a bit off and stronger than the sugar/malt flavors. I think some age could improve this beer and hopefully quiet the spices a bit. The hops are soft already so it might be a totally different beer in 5 years.

07-20-2007 19:01:12 | More by rhoadsrage
DavidSeanNJ

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

Picked up a bomber, shared it with my girflriend.

Poured into my Chimay chalice...

A- A beautiful golden/light orange color. Lots of carbonation bubbles rising to the top of my glass- little head, but just enough to make it picture perfect.
S- Smelled fruity, some smokiness, cloves.
T- Very complex. Lots of spices, but not overwhelming. Fruits, tasted some bananas and other citrusy types.
M- Highly carbonated, but worked for this beer. Alcohol leaves a nice burning sensation.
D- Definitely a sipper.

I enjoyed this beer. It's a great rendition of the style and one that I may pick up again to cellar.

07-19-2007 13:13:13 | More by DavidSeanNJ
illidurit

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

An amazing pour into my Duvel tulip results in liquid halfway up the Duvel emblem and gorgeous fluffy white head to the brink of overflowing. The beer is a dark orange color. The head reduces to a nebulous cap, leaving some nice lacing.

Smell is dominated by clovey phenols, reminiscent of organic chemistry where we had to isolate eugenol from cloves. Very spicy and sweet aroma.

Banana and clove phenols are prominent in the taste as though this beer was made with wheat. Peach, doughy yeasty bread, a ton of spices that I can't identify.

Great carbonation, very smooth. The finish is a bit tannic, making it pretty refreshing. I think this beer is underrated.

07-19-2007 01:41:23 | More by illidurit
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.