Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with three finger head that dissipates slowly leaving a solid cap and fairly heavy lacing.

Cardamom, lemon, orange, grapefruit, and hops to the nose.

Taste is more complex than the nose. Aforementioned spice, fruit, hops and malt all blend together with varying intensities leading to a fairly dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation, crisp and refreshing.

Good drinkability, will see how this ages. Wish I had a case of 06.06.06 instead of this, but time will tell.

techdiver, Jul 11, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

This beer is slightly hazed and throws out a deep golden hue. The head is thin and white. Lacing sporadic. Pretty nice aroma with belgian yeast apparent. Nice little sweet doughiness. The spices are not overbearing on the nose. I get a little cardamon. On the palate I get alcohol, sweetness and fruits. Tropical punch like. The alcohol is really evident and acts as the buzzkill in this context. Otherwise, I also get some lime notes, ginger and lemon. Too much stuff going on here and it doesn't mesh all that well....right now. Don't know about the future, but some age can't hurt this. I don't forsee cracking another for years....possibly till 2012. My least favorite of the Epics so far.

Bighuge, Jul 10, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Appears a light golden with an orange tone and a 2 finger, fluffy white cap that slowly fades out. A few tiny particles fall out of suspension in the bottom of the glass. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of tropical fruits with notes of orange, pear, vanilla, peaches, grapefruit, cardamom, and mild spices and phenols.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with hints of a saison but leaning more towards a Belgian Gold with spice additions.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spritzy up front, mildly sweet, enticing, and dry on the finish.
A youngling that will do better with some aging. Definitely nice enough to drink now though for those who can tolerate complex yeast phenols, along with spices.

weeare138, Jul 09, 2007
2.2/5  rDev -41.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

This review is based on my current tasting. As others stated a few years might help this one out.

A - Poured a coppery yellow. Minimal carbonation and lacing in mine.

S - Kind of spicey smell. Not a bad aroma at all.

T - This is where I was very upset. Too much spicey bite. While some might like this it was much too overbearing for me. I imagine this is what it is like to chew on one of those cheap gross spicey potpourri things people have in glass dishes. No real malt charecter to help out here either. Really besides the overwhelming spice it is kind of a thin brew with alcohol bite. The aftertaste is almost like carboard. It was a real chore to get through the bomber.

M - Very little carbonation really but not a bad mouthfeel per se. When you get past the taste.

D - The way it tastes now I would not really WANT to drink much of it. Besides that it has kind of too much alcohol bite.

Honestly I don't mean to be a jerk I love almost every other stone beer and I loved last years vertical. But I think they may have stepped into something they could not make, I have had a few Saisons and Belgan Golden Ales (from Belgium) and they just kick the crap out of this one. Way too much spice. I will leave the other 2 bottles I got for a few months, once the spice dies down they will probably be a little more drinkable then. As another guy stated they said bottle conditioned but no yeast at the bottom. Strange. Honestly there is not much charecter besides the spice so in 5 years I imagine this just being a thin alcohol soup with subdued spiciness. I love stone, they are my go to beer company. Stick to what you know guys please. After I drank it I had to brush my tongue to get the cardboard aftertaste off my tongue. Maybe I got a bad bottle who knows but I am not even trying the other bottles until a few months have passed.

TheBeerWolf, Jul 09, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a honey/golden color with minimal head. Light floral scent. A strong smack of hops. A powerful alcohol note with a light sweet aftertaste that touches the back of the throat. I can’t wait to try this beer in 5 years, I should have bought an extra bottle for every year

thebarracuda, Jul 09, 2007
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Sampled on 7/08/07
Very amber hue to the beer in the tulip glass
Smells very spicy, Coriander?, Orange peel?, various citrus notes?
Taste is a bit spicy right now, but can't wait to try this one in the future once it calms down a bit. I think this beer has the potential to be a very complex one
mouthfeel is pretty good, about par for the course and very welcome.
This is hard to drink right now, well it is easy for me to drink, but I think once this beer reaches its potential in a couple years down the road, it will be great.

bradford, Jul 09, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

A clear amber to copper colored ale with a good but not outlandish yellowish off-white head.

The scent is sweet herbal and earthy. Belgian candi sugar sweetness and a mild odor of coriander are the first things I can pick out. General herbal scent with an edge of cinnamon and licorice. There is a scent I can decide on, either mint or menthol, probably from hops.

The taste begins sweet and candish with a fairly strong coriander and black licorice flavor. Fairly strong apple aftertaste from the fist sip, it takes a minute to register on the tongue. This is also followed by a hay or grassy aftertaste that is quite long lasting. Fairly spicy in the mouth and the sweetness subsides rather quickly from sip to sip. An interesting effect how quickly this changes taste from the initial beer flavor and aftertaste, this is almost like two beers in one.

The mouthfeel is good.

A tasty and nice drinking Belgian style beer it will be interesting to see how this one ages. Personally this is one of the tastier Strong Pale Ales out there. Beers like this keep me wondering WHY doesn't Stone have at least two Belgian style ales as regular beers in its line up?

Zorro, Jul 09, 2007
3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

This is my first bottle of the much hyped vertical Epic. This is the stuff people on eBay are paying crazy prices for, especially for older years. It poured an average appearance with not much of a head I'm used to expecting from Belgian Ales. It has a hazy gold color with just one spot of lacing present. It has a good mouthfeel that is very creamy and rolls off the tongue gently. It goes down real smooth and leaves a strong dry lingering bitter finish. The finish also hints with notes of a dry grapefruit and citrus taste. Full bodied with the standard Belgian yeast taste and aroma. A bit too much malt. There is no hop taste or nose noted. The bottle has a lot of yeast sediment on the bottom. Half way through it loses its carbonation and is going flat. You can definitely tell this wasn't brewed by any monks, and should be called Belgian "Style" Strong Ale. Strong ABV is well-hidden. If this is as good as an American Brewery is going to brew a Belgian Strong Ale then its great, but it’s not the best I’ve had. It is very drinkable and has a great mouth feel, but lacks in appearance and aroma. Stone has created this mythological brew with their Vertical Epic that doesn’t live up to their fabled description on its bottle.

kelticblood, Jul 08, 2007
4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Opened on 7/7/07;
I don't usually open an epic till New Years eve but hey its Chistmas in July.

Thisone to me had Triple all over it. It poured a deep gold, almost copper like. The head was egg-wash white that was about an inch but maintained well. Carbonation was active, nice and busy. not much on the lace side of things.

The aroma pops at bottles open and that carbonation just treats the nose with the taste hints.

The taste is complex, very well done. Malts, hops that are well accented by citric grapefruits, lime and orange peel. Spice of ginger and pepper. I picked up hints of biscuit and more of sour dough. A mild hint of alcohol for toppers.

The mouthfeel is smooth, well aired. It dose leave a dry, wanting more feel. After awhile, it leaves a "dang, im thirsty feel".

Drinkability is very smooth and easy, for a complex brew.
For july, this went very well. And im sure it will bring in the new year great as well.

chilidog, Jul 08, 2007
4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

It's 7/7/07 and I am excited. Poured into a snifter.

Beautiful deep golden color with pillowy white head.

Smells of green apple, lemon, some musty/earthy barn notes, a touch of vanilla.

Starts with some caramel and orange blossom honey and then works is way into brighter honeydew, lemon pulp and orange rind estery flavors. Finishes with spicy hops, earthy yeast flavor and some heat from the alcohol. Assertive bitterness.

Slight syrupy mouthfeel with some carbonation bite that cleanses the palate. Overall an excellent brew that should age gracefully.

bosco7, Jul 08, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my New Belgium globe glass. Reviewed on 7/7/07.

A: Pours a deep golden amber color. Not a lot of head and it recedes quickly.

S: Lots of great smells; fruit, spices, and yeast.

T: This thing is like a tripel on steroids. Lots of fruit up front in the form of grapefruit, orange, and apricot. The spices are up next; lots of citrus peel and more prominent spices. All of the tripel flavors that you would typically find but in typical Stone style, they are more amplified. Very flavorful and complex yet at the same time it's still refreshing.

M: Full bodied, a bit thick, light carbonation.

D: I enjoyed the hell out of this beer. I've got another bottle that I'm going to age until 12/12/12 and I'm very interested to see how this thing will change with time. I sure did like it fresh. It's very flavorful and delicious. Another excellent brew from Stone.

willjschmidt, Jul 08, 2007
4.58/5  rDev +21.5%

So guess what, it is July 7th 2007 and I have in my hand my first bottle of Stone's Vertical Epic 07.07.07! Hell yeah, this was the first year I was actually able to obtain one, to be able to drink it, by the release date(and by the skin of my teeth, it just arrived today!) Really siked for this as I had been waiting anxiously hopingit would arrive in time. Botle is the sameas theo thers in the series, Ale brewed with spices, and the 07's circling, been awaiting so I shall dive in.

Poured a very cloudy and haze golden amber. Not your pale golden amber, but a nice full, orange tint to it. Great streaming bubbles of carbonation were rippling to the surface through chains from the bottom. A nice one inch head formed immediatly upon the pour, hung around for about a minute then faded and receded back to just a film on top concentrated on the sides of the glass. Some residual lace on the glass was visible during the session.

The smell was highly spiced. Very light, but rich and complex aroma came over you as you took the first smell. Dark fruits, plums, figs, maybe some pear or apple could be detected in the backround trying to make their case known. A definate hoppines was also very much there. A slight citrus twist trying t creep up through the rest of the fruits. Upon warming one could also pick out a fresh cut grass, or earthiness to it as well. Very nice aroma, not as heavy as some of the past years.

Now for the dive in...First impression of the taste, was light, crisp and refreshing with a definate hoppy quality to it. If I did not know better I could almost see this as a belgian IPA. Lots of fruit flavors were readily apparent, bigtime pear flavor as well as some plum could be detected. I also picked up some apple in there. Lots of spices, nutmeg, a banana maybe too... The more you think about it the more you will find, the mark of a finely crafted brew. But the hop was still there, and a nice american citric hop it was, a touch of grapefruit is really what is being picked up here. Nice dry finish, slightly bitter, but more spicey and fruity. Great feel on this. Very light, not slick or oily at all, not watered down, every sip was full of flavor and never dull. Great carbonation helped the flavor simply wash over your tongue and gave it that alive feeling. Well done.

Overall this was sensational. Not apparent feel for the alcohol, very well hidden, made this one extremely drinkable. Not as heavy sitting as the others. This was by far my favorite of the series that I have tried thus far. I am not sure how it will hold up for five more years, but this is definatly damn good now. I would have to say to try it now, and put a couple away if you can. But I dont know how it would improve, just a fine quality beer here.

mikesgroove, Jul 08, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Tasted today on 07.07.07.

Poured into my tulip glass. Pours golden straw color with a thin white head that disappears.

Smells of belgian yest and spices. Clove? Nutmeg? Cinnamin? I don't know for sure, I'm not quite good at this yet.

Taste is strong spice, coriander. Might be a little hot right now with strong spices, but I liked it. Not everyone else in my group did.

Moutfeel is bubble, duvel like. Toward the end looses carbonation becomes very sweet and strong mouthfeel

genog, Jul 08, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a snifter, the beer pours an amber/orange color with a half inch white head. The aroma is sweet and spicy (mostly spicy). It smells like pepper, cloves, coriander, ginger, yeast, apricots and citrus fruit peel. The taste starts off very spicy, mostly cloves and pepper. Then a sharp fruity/hoppy/spicy bittersweet taste kicks in and it leaves a long-lasting aftertaste. It tastes pretty much the same way it smells. Mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of zippy carbonation which doesn't hurt the beer at all. Drinkability is good, but I think aging the beer would help mellow it out some. Still, I think this is a good brew.

bluejacket74, Jul 07, 2007
4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Nice copper color, but a lot head out of the bottle and low retention (alas). Not quite what I've come to expect from the VEs, appearance-wise...

Nice caramelized malt jumping up in the nose and a good dose of noble hops. Metallic? I like it.

Drinking it finally... and I'm quite impressed. Billed as a BSPA, but it really shares a lot of qualities with a crisp, PNW amber ale. It's like you took a typical PNW amber ale and Duvelized it. Or it's like someone turned up the volume on a De Koninck (which, while not something I'd envisioned, it turns out that it works really well). Really a thoroughly enjoyable beer right now, and not something that's really been done before, IMO...

Crotor, Jul 07, 2007
3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

22 ounce bomber, purchased 7/5/07 at Metropolitan Market in West Seattle for $5.99. Poured into goblet at cool cellar temp (probably ~50*F.)

Visual: bright, clear, deep orange. Creamy dense white head, light, dense lace.

Aroma: bright Belgian yeast, phenolics, hints of clove, little else.

Taste: spicy Belgian yeast, and tons of spices. I'd guess at coriander, clove, nutmeg, maybe a little cinnamon. Spices overwhelm everything else, including the Belgian esters and phenolics, which are basically the only other thing I get out of this. Just enough hop body to carry it through, and little else.

Mouth: sweet and medium thick, limited alcohol burn, certainly the 8.4% listed on the bottle is not evident.

Eh. Like many of Stone's beers, I really think this one is really quite overrated, due to beer geeks' (which I consider myself one) almost culti-like devotion to all things Stone. It's good, drinkable beer, but is it all that? No. Do I expect it to improve? Yes. Do I expect it to improve to the point of being all that? No.

Basically, it's a standard, overspiced, underwhelming Belgian strong ale, and not really distinguishable from hundreds of beers available in any decent supermarket in Belgium, or dozens available in any BevMo for that matter.

warmstorage, Jul 06, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

22oz bomber, capped. Pours a hazy, deep amber color with a ruby hue. Frothy three-finger white head shows decent retention and leaves some sporadic strands of lacing.

The aroma is dominated by spicy, peppery, yeast undercut by apricot and berry notes. The flavor follows, along with tangy citrus and creamy banana, along with some vanilla and some candy.

It's pretty light in body, and without being aged, lacks a bit of complexity. But stick this in the cellar and I'm sure it will be a gem--and is still quite enjoyable now.

Osiris9588, Jul 05, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Deep gold appearance, thin white foam holds steadily. Medium carbonation throughout. Cinnamon and a multitude of other peppery spices cloud the aroma. There is also some fruity sweetness, not bad overall.

The flavor is dominated by the spiciness also. There is some fruity apple tang in the mix, and the finish has a slight acidity or something that irritates the throat a bit. Decent, but not too impressive. The mouthfeel is nice, medium thick, smooth with silky carbonation.

The spices/additives were too much for this beer. They stand out too much rather then fit where they should. I realize Stone likes to go "big" on their beers, but just because it works with hops doesn't mean it does with spices. A little goes a long way. For now I feel like this should be more of a holiday/xmas ale. Hopefully it ages well...

bennetj17, Jul 05, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

This beer poured a light tan/light orange/yellow body with a small soap bubbled type head.

Nose is a cornucopia of smells. Tropical fruits, lots of sugary belgian yeast, candied fruit, pepper, ginger and lime peel. Strong alcohol whiffs and it really starts to have a strong saison mixed with tropical spice and fruit character as it warms. Very nice.

Fruit juice and alcohol. Very reminiscent of a tropical mixed drink like a margarita or daiquiri. Taste is medium to full bodied with a course grain mouth-feel from the start fading into a sharp numbing bitterness in the finish. Loads of fresh cut malt and grain, but the taste is dominated by citrus. Lemons, lime, grapefruit juice, citrus peel, tons of ginger, passion-fruit, mangos, bananas, kaffir lime and a nice spice mixture ending with a big kick of belgian yeast. A very strong bitterness but not a huge hop taste presence. Alcohol is really strong in this beer and really shines through with warmth as well as a kick in the butt after a few sips.

Not quite a saison and not quite a triple, but 150% of each mixed equally. Really very nice right now and I'm having a hard time picturing it aged 5 years, although the alcohol and strong course bitterness should mellow nicely. It should be interesting to see if it retains it's big fruit flavors. I like this one a lot, it's everything I wanted in 040404. Bring on 08.

taez555, Jul 04, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -27.6%

I bought this expecting hops, not remembering that all the other vertical epics were Belgian based. My grave mistake.

Anyone who knows me well knows I'm rarely a fan of American Belgians. And stating that, this one does nothing to change that perception.

Color is dark for a pale, closest I can think of in the color palate of Belgians would be Bush (Scaldis), which technically is a Belgian barley wine not a pale with much more malt than your typical Belgian. Aroma on this one has Belgian yeast characterists, but they're not strong. Mostly fruits coming through, with some alcohol. Flavor again is muted with similar effect as aroma, body is almost watery like a German hefeweizen. Alcohol comes in much stronger than the stated 8.4%. I frankly can't believe it's not pushing 10% based on flavor. While yes, many American brews between 8-9% have this much alcohol presence, I can't think of one Belgian that even comes close. The beer label claims it's bottle conditioned, yet no yeast was left in the bottle or apparent in the pour.

Overall I've gotta say bleeeh. Give me a Stone IPA over this any day.

deeplennon, Jul 04, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Beautiful copper golden clear body with good carbonation. Slightly off-white head of mostly small bubbles. Low retention and lace.
Sweet bread and marcipan smell. Floral notes swirl on top of an alcoholic whiff with spice.
Taste is alcohol, spice, molasses and malts well balanced with velvety hops. Aftertaste of Lingering malts with some nutskin hops and faint alcoholic flavor.
Medium to full body, some coating and a dry finish. Abit of residual sugars.
Good drinkability.
Though this is a good brew it did not live up to Stone standards. Maybe this one needs to age abit.

-Oelergud

oelergud, Jul 04, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a cloudy orange with a fizzy white froth that fades fairly quickly to a thin layer of head and a collar. Appears highly carbonated.

Smell is familiar yet unique - paradoxical? Yes. Inviting? Yes. Notes of citrus and orange peel dance on top of the Belgian-style yeast to create a sweet, zesty aroma.

Carbonation dances on my tongue with the first sip. Chewy malts dominate. What a unique flavor - truly mission accomplished with respect to Stone's goal of fusing a trippel and a saison, although I taste more trippel-like character than saison. With each sip the orange and lemon notes become more pronounced - perhaps even too much so. Perhaps could use a bit more body towards the end of the taste - initially mouthfeel is nice and thick but towards the swallow the malty flavor fades too quickly, giving way to a citrusy aftertaste that isn't altogether enjoyable.

This is a worthy effort by Stone to branch out from the bread and butter hopbombs. I still prefer what they normally do, but this is an offering that is worth checking out, if for no other reason because it is remarkably unique.

mitchfor3, Jul 03, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Another Stone anual that will surely improve with age. The beer opens with a burst of carbonation, loosely knit heat retention and a bright straw color. Aromas of sweet pilner malts and heavy grains swirl with fruits of pears, peaches, appricots, and apples. All with a swift kick of alcohols. Tastes as fruity and sweet as the aromas suggest with a sharp peppery, tart, earthy / musty flavor, adding complexity and variety. Feels moderately heavy and slightly oily despite an evaporative dryness late. Alcohols and tartness linger into the aftertaste, while remaining sweet and dry. Age will surely be kind to this brew, but a bit fusal and green at this point.

BEERchitect, Jul 02, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

A- Nice hazy deep gold; decent white head; yeast particles are visible throughout.

S- Typical Belgian aroma; cloves are predominant; it's not sweet and is kind of saison-like; some good citrusy aromas show themselves as the beer warms (orange and lime).

T- Cloves to start, than a whole lot of herbal hops; the hops mingle with some malt sweetness and the beer finishes dry a with a touch of bitterness; some alcohol is also present. The flavors don't really mesh here. It really needs more malt flavor.

M- Decent medium body with a nice carbonation level.

D- Not bad, although the alcohol is a little high. I'll stick to one bomber.

Certainly not my favorite from Stone. The flavor's just not doing it for me. However, I suppose the beer was designed to age for a few years, so here's hoping that will improve it. As it stands it's just ok, but hopefully a few years in the cellar will smooth things out.

vtfan77, Jul 02, 2007
3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

22 oz bottle.

Deep golden with a spritzy head.

Aroma is fruity, apple, banana, peppery, ginger. Light notes of cardamom spice.

Ginger and cardamom are prominent in the flavor with light notes of citrus peel.

Finishes a bit sweet, and the ginger and cardamom are a bit heavy for my liking right now, we’ll see how it ages out.

Padron4KM, Jul 02, 2007
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.