Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
chilidog

4.2/5  rDev +11.4%

Opened on 7/7/07;
I don't usually open an epic till New Years eve but hey its Chistmas in July.

Thisone to me had Triple all over it. It poured a deep gold, almost copper like. The head was egg-wash white that was about an inch but maintained well. Carbonation was active, nice and busy. not much on the lace side of things.

The aroma pops at bottles open and that carbonation just treats the nose with the taste hints.

The taste is complex, very well done. Malts, hops that are well accented by citric grapefruits, lime and orange peel. Spice of ginger and pepper. I picked up hints of biscuit and more of sour dough. A mild hint of alcohol for toppers.

The mouthfeel is smooth, well aired. It dose leave a dry, wanting more feel. After awhile, it leaves a "dang, im thirsty feel".

Drinkability is very smooth and easy, for a complex brew.
For july, this went very well. And im sure it will bring in the new year great as well.

07-08-2007 12:24:08 | More by chilidog
techdiver

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with three finger head that dissipates slowly leaving a solid cap and fairly heavy lacing.

Cardamom, lemon, orange, grapefruit, and hops to the nose.

Taste is more complex than the nose. Aforementioned spice, fruit, hops and malt all blend together with varying intensities leading to a fairly dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation, crisp and refreshing.

Good drinkability, will see how this ages. Wish I had a case of 06.06.06 instead of this, but time will tell.

07-11-2007 03:47:35 | More by techdiver
bunnyhustle

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

My first in the "Epic" series. Pours somewhat hazy orange. Head was not too impressive nor was the retention, no lacing. Smell is dead-on for what a Belgian should smell like. Apple, pear, bread, yeast, and a touch of citrus (Stones signature I think). Smell is great. Taste is very good as well thoough I should note I'm partial to Belgians. Sweetness hits you up front then you notice fruity characteristics on the sides of your tounge followed by a warm, slightly bitter sensation on the back of your tounge. Carbonation is moderate and mouthfeel is medium, not too thick or thin. Overall a great beer, alcohol content is well masked and a great Belgian from the boys in Escondido.

03-03-2008 01:09:57 | More by bunnyhustle
flexabull

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours a clear bright gold color with a large white head.

Aromas are intense and spicy. Bubblegum, grapefruit, and bananas all noticed on the nose.

Tastes spicy, but not overdone. Tastes of citrus fruits, bananas, pepper, and bubblegum. There is a general overall creaminess character to the flavor, slightly sweet, and very malty.

Mouthfeel is full and really supple. Creamy, smooth, and thick.

Interesting beer. Not quite my favorite of the epics, but it's a well made, and is enjoyable to taste and drink.

06-26-2007 02:18:43 | More by flexabull
jdubjacket

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Cracked a bottle of this open last night. Pours a copper orange with almost no head. Smell is primarily citrus with a mixture of spices blended in. Taste starts off very similar to a witte beer and finishes with a complex number including grapefruit, spices, and malt. I was hoping for a little more carbonation in the beer, but it suffices. Overall, another fantastic offering from Stone.

01-25-2009 22:09:22 | More by jdubjacket
Rippeddisc

Hawaii

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

My friend I was visiting was kind enough to open one of his stash when I was visiting in Salt Lake City. Very impressively complex. Raisnbread, citrus, spices on the nose. Appearance is light amber with nice head to start but fades quickly and no lacing. Taste is as complex as the nose. Very drinkable and tasty. Sweet a bit with the last bit leaving a bit of a citrus kick. Am curious to see what it will be like when it reaches it's supposed maturity in 2012.

03-15-2008 04:18:10 | More by Rippeddisc
buffettfan

Arizona

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from the bottle into a globe shaped glass. Appeared a deep amber/red color, with off white, kaki colored fluffy head. Aroma was a sweet, spicy smell, a little fruit. The taste was much the same, a little spicy, citrus with a slightly bitter, but pleasant hop note, and lighter carbonation then I am accustomed too. Mouthfeel was thick but very smooth, a very drinkable, enjoyable beer. Not sure I would call this beer Epic, but it certianly is very good.

11-10-2007 00:06:28 | More by buffettfan
cbutova

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Found this one in a cooler at my local store, ON SALE for $7.77!. Poured into my Brooklyn snifter with a glorious two finger head that retains at one finger for a very good amount of time. The head is white and the beer is a nice golden amber. Light belgian-like lacing is left on my snifter as I drink it down. Lacing is the only thing bringing this one down. Smells pretty nice but I can't pick up very heavy notes. What I get is that typical Belgian yest smell, light malts, cirtrus with no hops to speak of. I would like some more strength but this is over two years old. Some sweets and spices also come through. Taste is pretty damn spicy. I get the yeast (belgian, bready), the malts, some citrus, fruits and then the citrus peels and spices. They make for a pretty good balanced belgian taste. I get some pine in the taste too. Ginger is mentioned on the bottle and can easily be picked up. The cardamom is definitely in the nose. The taste is complex but is a bit harsh on the tongue also. The spices could be toned down (they get huge after a bit) a bit but I still think this one tastes pretty damn good. Taste is more like a tripel than a saison to me. Mouthfeel is moderate bodied, medium carbonated and leaves a huge coat of Belgian flavors and spices. A tiny bit less carbs and a bit more creamy smoothness would help here. A bit of alcohol warming works good here. Drinkability is also good, good taste, good price, good gimmick. The spices are a bit much but I enjoyed this beer and it is spot on with style, can't wait to try it again on 12.12.12. It definitely has aged well up to this point.

Update on 02/02/13. Scores 3.5, 3.75, 4.25, 4.0, 4.25.

T- Mostly taste the adjunct additions at this point above caramel oxidation. Big orange peel, ginger is huge, grapefruit and spicy belgian saison like yeast. Apples and grape notes too.

12-13-2009 00:39:24 | More by cbutova
JayQue

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Cloudy orange color . Nice white head that fades fast. No lacing.
Nice Belgian smell. Yeasts, astringency, spiciness.

Taste is good. A great, heavy duty astringent Belgian beer. Spicy, alcohol masked well. Very tasty. There is a pear like and perfumy aftertaste that could probably get annoying after a while, but fine for the first bottle!!!!

Mouthfeel is rich and luxurious. Drinkability is good for the abv, maybe downgrade it a bit for perfuminess.

All in all a really good representation of this style!!

03-05-2008 01:22:34 | More by JayQue
Imstillthegman

Delaware

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

I think this is one of the best, if not the best, fresh Vertical Epics that Stone has put out.

Pours a clear golden orange color. There's a thin white head that fades quickly to a fine sheet. Very light lacing remains.

Aroma is very nice blend of green apples, yeast, spices, candied sugars, and some citrus. I couldn't wait to dive into this one.

The flavor is almost as good as the smell. Spicy coriander, green apple, yeasty funk, just all of these great flavors melding together. Wonder if this will improve with age?

Spot on mouthfeel thats nicely carbonated. Only a very slight alcohol burn at the finish. This is a great choice for this very warm evening. I only have nine left from my case...I'm curious to see how long they last. I'll save at least one for each of the next five years.

08-04-2007 22:12:18 | More by Imstillthegman
phisig137

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

A- pours a deep amber, brilliant orange color, with a 2 finger head. Great retention, heavy lace, and small bubbles continue to rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- Complex, very interesting nose, filled with caramel malts, big spice and herbal component. Citrus hops, backed by ginger spice make a great combo. Honey shows up towards the back as well.... nice

F- Big time spice and herb flavors. Cardamom and citrus seem to dominate the flavor, but thyme and basil seem to be in there too. Beautiful spicy yeast strain, with lots of phenols. Ginger hits on the finish, along with a touch of honey sweetness. Fantastic.

M- creamy, oily, and thick.

D- quite good, but a slight alcohol burn after a few sips.

Overall, a great beer. Like many of the other vertical epics, I can't really see this lasting another 5 and a half years. We'll just have to see how the spice holds up. I guess we'll see in the future. Either way, pick one up if you can still find some.

11-17-2007 17:51:31 | More by phisig137
Mryup

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Deep golden color with red/orange/yellow highlights. Average white head after a semi-vigorous pour.

S: Heavy malt, hops, spice (ginger among others) with subtle hints of citrus fruit.

T: Heavy malt and spice dominate the taste with the hops (Glacier and Crystal) and citrus fruit to add a very nice balance. Unique. The alcohol is melded perfectly.

M: Wet, medium-bodied that holds its balance throughout. Carbonation is high but seems fitting for the beer.

D: Considering the alcohol content, this is a very drinkable beer. The style makes it so it's not a session beer but still enjoyable none the less.

NOTE: After finishing this beer I have edited my drinkability score from a 2.5 to 4! One of the previous reviewers was correct in that this is not a beer to rate by sampling. It gets better and better. Impressive.

10-21-2007 20:24:26 | More by Mryup
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

This is one of the better Vertical Epics I've had, but that being said, I haven't really been a huge fan of any of them so far (and I've had 04 to current). The bottle says that it is a mix between a saison and a tripel, and I think it is just as advertised.

The beer pours to a nice golden blonde color with a nice medium collar of slightly off-white head. Slightly hazy. Lacing leaves something to be desired, but a little bit sticks. Retention is good.

The smell is quite spicy. Smells mostly like lemon and lime with banana and clove notes. I can also pick up the cardamom and ginger listed on the bottle, though not as much as the lemon and banana. Hints of candi sugar and/or malt sweetness with an undertone of alcohol.

The taste is good. Lots of interesting spice. Lemon and banana most prominently, followed by clove, white pepper, cardamom, and ginger. Slightly bubblegummy. Sweet malt and candi sugary belgian flavor. Just a hint of alcohol.

The body is fairly thick with a subtle carbonation, lending a creamy feel. Would be easier to drink if it was a little less alcoholic and spicy. Very good though. I would be very interested to find out how this fares at 12.12.12, but I only had a single bottle.

07-15-2007 06:12:09 | More by neonbrown82
orsulacp

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

I got this at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA, I just had to have it even though the reviews were less than stellar. It poured a deep orange amber with a small off white head, very very clear. I don't have the nose to pick out all the spices, there is a very spicy peppery start with a big sweet fruit, apples and pears, smell following the pepper. There are some flowery smells in there too. There is just as much complexity in the taste as in the nose. It starts very sugary and fruity, but that goes away quickly leaving a nice peppery, floural taste. I don't know how this will get better in 5 years, like the bottle says, I think the floural hops balance this beer nicely right now. It has a very dry mouthfeel, even with the sugary start, that is impressive to me.

07-31-2007 00:13:24 | More by orsulacp
jaasen64

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

On-tap at Lord Hobo's Vertical Epic Event on 12/12/12. 5oz serving served in a flight glass part of flight "B" (06, 07, 08).

A- Hazy slightly translucent yellowish orange with a thin head that recedes at an average pace and leaves some light lacing, not much carbonation.

S- Tangerines, clementines, very citrusy, fairly floral, some saison-qualities balanced nicely with some triple qualities, fairly aromatic.

T- Tangerines, clementines, floral notes, some light spices that accentuate the floral/tripel aspects, a little bit of a tangy finish. Very flavorful, lots of citrus notes without providing any bitterness or too much acidity.

M- Medium bodied, a hint of syrup, fairly low carbonation, very easy drinking.

O- The 07 was one of my favorites of the series. It was an interesting beer that held up very well with age retaining a nice fruitiness and exactly what I'd expect from a citrusy tripel/saison hybrid.

12-13-2012 03:00:16 | More by jaasen64
MMAJYK

Georgia

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Deep and golden. Totally transparent. Head is quite thin in my snifter.

S- Very saison-like with Belgian candi sugar aromas. Fruity and citrusy too. Apples, corriander (maybe) w ith a peppery smell along with orange peel.

T- Definitely candi sugar and very rich. Complexity comes around too with some apples, pears, oranges, and light alcohol. This beer is very much like a saison to me and I dig the Stone description of it.

M- Thin and medium carbonation.

D- Very drinkable, but somewhat sweet and rich.

03-11-2008 02:22:52 | More by MMAJYK
beerthulhu

from notes:

A: Pours a clear golden orange color. Labeled as a "Golden triple/saison" hybrid at 8.4%.

S: Big lemon peel on nose with some fruitiness and lots of ginger.

T: Flavor is sour oranges and apples, caramel malt, citrus, and ginger spicing. Palate is dry and full of ripe fruit and dry floral hops. There is some sweet candi sugar and dried apricot hints as well.

M: The texture is slick and slippery on the tongue.

D: Overall a decent brew that would of probably come off better with aging and without the label or comparison to the authentic Belgian styles golden triple and sasion.

10-14-2010 23:30:38 | More by beerthulhu
SixpointJMH

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a fairly crisp looking dark gold colour with a foamy head that dissolves rather quickly, leaving nary a trace of itself on the glass.

The aroma is very nice, with a good amount of spice mixed in with citrus, malt and a touch of noticeable yeast. It almost reminds me of a winter warmer for some reason.

Flavour is more of the same. I find that spice leads the way once again, blending with malt and citrus fairly evenly, with the latter providing some tartness along with some sweetness, mostly toward the finish. That said, I still can't escape the dominance (but not overpowering) of the spice in the flavour, and it's not a bad thing as it makes for a nice change of pace for a beer that's otherwise very much in line with the style for me. Mouthfeel is medium boded and a bit chewy. There's a nice dryness here.

This one hits the mark, especially as it warms a bit. Solid across the board, very drinkable fresh and should seemingly age nicely as well, but we shall see in about five and a half years...

07-29-2007 01:24:03 | More by SixpointJMH
Phatz

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

I have had this beer several times now. First I had it on tap at fests over the summer then at a tasting and now I am sitting alone with a bottle and my thoughts. This is an interesting beer. It is intensely spiced so that will hold up for the aging end of the vertical epic series. The body is not immense but it is substantial. I guess time will tel how the body will hold up to 5 more years of aging.

Appearance: Pours a clear golden orange with an adequate white head with almost no lace.

Smell: It smells to me like a spiced ale more than a Tripel or a BSPA. It is absolutely loaded with ginger and cardamom, followed by cinnamon, pineapple, pear and white grape, and finally a dash of lemon.

Taste: It is sweet and spicy. The ginger is a bit too in your face at the moment but time will help with that and that is the whole idea with this series so ... On second thought it would go well with a proper food pairing. Tilapia and lemon juice maybe. The flavors are Belgian candy and honey sweetness, peaches, and then the spices with big ginger cardamom cinnamon pepper and lemon flavors with undertones of vanilla and nutmeg leading me to think of things like an imperial pumpkin ale. It finishes herbal gassiness and a pepper ginger on the cheeks.

Mouthfeel: It is a medium body beer that has a spice and alcohol crispness and a very long lingering aftertaste.

Drinkability: I am certain this beer will improve in a year or 2 I am not certain that it won't be past it's prime in 5 years. I would certainly recommend giving it a shot.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

09-05-2007 17:30:28 | More by Phatz
BBM

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer poured a slightly cloudy golden blond into a tulip glass. The head was white and fizzy, but fleeting. Aroma was somewhat fruity, with hints of spice and earth.

I enjoyed the infusion of sweet fruits with the Belgian spices, it gave the brew a bit more depth and personality. Spicy up front, along with sweet malt and a subtle dry finish. Slight hints of alcohol. This is a perfectly delightful beer from Stone. Overall they did a nice job with this one.

11-30-2007 17:08:38 | More by BBM
womencantsail

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Got one of the first pours off the cask. Beautiful yellow/pale golden color, very little head.

S: Very floral, spice, some fruits (but not as much as many other Belgian ales), and that familiar yeasty character.

T: This is quite sweet and fruity (particularly oranges) with a mild spice and yeast flavor to it. Not too much in the way of hops.

M: Medium body, not a ton of carbonation (obviously, being on cask).

D: Would have enjoyed drinking from the cask all afternoon, but I was driving.

07-12-2009 03:11:31 | More by womencantsail
mitchfor3

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours a cloudy orange with a fizzy white froth that fades fairly quickly to a thin layer of head and a collar. Appears highly carbonated.

Smell is familiar yet unique - paradoxical? Yes. Inviting? Yes. Notes of citrus and orange peel dance on top of the Belgian-style yeast to create a sweet, zesty aroma.

Carbonation dances on my tongue with the first sip. Chewy malts dominate. What a unique flavor - truly mission accomplished with respect to Stone's goal of fusing a trippel and a saison, although I taste more trippel-like character than saison. With each sip the orange and lemon notes become more pronounced - perhaps even too much so. Perhaps could use a bit more body towards the end of the taste - initially mouthfeel is nice and thick but towards the swallow the malty flavor fades too quickly, giving way to a citrusy aftertaste that isn't altogether enjoyable.

This is a worthy effort by Stone to branch out from the bread and butter hopbombs. I still prefer what they normally do, but this is an offering that is worth checking out, if for no other reason because it is remarkably unique.

07-03-2007 05:47:51 | More by mitchfor3
Arbitrator

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Cellar clearance yadda yadda. I purchased one of these locally and acquired another from tprokop7. Thanks Todd.

A: Pours a clear, glowing orange body with huge, fluffy off-white head that fills the Duvel tulip and threatens to overflow. It takes its sweet time retreating into a moderate collar, but it leaves no sticky lace in its wake.

S: Smells like a saison at first. Orchard fruits like apples, pears, and orange find their way to my nose. They're spiced by a nice blend of cardamom and clove.

T: Banana, apples, pears, orange peel. There's a light bitterness that accentuates the semi-dry flavor of this beer. The finish brings out cardamom, clove, and ginger -- the spice blend reminds me of a pumpkin ale, actually. Pretty tasty.

M: Light-medium bodied; fizzy. Semi-dry with a spicy warming effect.

D: I see some of the earliest reviews of this beer were... unfavorable. It seems the beer has improved since then. I find it drinking quite well, and seeing now that it's intended to be a saison-golden ale hybrid, I think it hits the mark pretty well.

03-23-2010 03:43:59 | More by Arbitrator
Kendo

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Poured from the bomber into a Chimay chalice. First pour is clear; some sediment floaties from second half of the bottle. Body is glowing dark golden/amber-coppery with a small cream-colored head that settles fast. No lacing at all.

S: Wow -- strong nose of candied sugar, spices and some yeasty-ness. At times this reminds me of a white wine (I was thinking chardonnay), at other times I'm thinking peach licquor (if there is such a thing), as I get some sort of apricot or peach-like fruit. Waft of alcohol noted as it warms a bit.

T: First impression: candied orange slices and light ginger. Heat is felt down the gulley and then in the belly. Overall impression is of sweetness: candied sugar and lingering ginger spice. Hint of citrus (orange and lemon), but otherwise no real hop presence. Wondering if maybe there was more when this beer was fresh. . . .

M: Smooth in feel -- slightly syrupy, actually, though that is offset by a nice, fine carbonation. I'd call it medium in weight.

D: Good. A sipper due to the sweetness and slightly thick feel, but the heat is moderate and it's tasty enough to want to take that next sip.

11-26-2009 01:57:33 | More by Kendo
lpayette

Vermont

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Purchased a couple months ago, and sampled on 03.28.08, so it's got a solid 6 months or so in the bottle. Overall- it's quite good, but I think it should get better with age, so I think I may keep my other bottle until sometime after 12.12.12 like they suggest.

Upon opening the bottle, the first thing I thought was "Unibroue." This isn't just because it's a belgian ale- it's more than that. The yeast characteristics in both the smell and taste seem to me to be very much akin to a unibroue beer. So I'm thinking it's the same yeast, and if not, it's a damn similiar one.

Color is deep and golden as promised with a huge saison-like head. Not much lacing to my surprise. Very effervescent with lots of floral and citrus notes. Very nice. The glacier and crystal hops do a fine job at bittering, but for now at least, the orange, grapefruit, and lemon peel are just a tad bit too much right now. It seems that I can taste all three, but perhaps I am imagining them to an extent. The mouthfeel will benefit from some more aging as well I think... all those peels just leave the mouth a bit puckered up. Nothing over the top, just a tad bit too much right now.

Overall this is already developing into a very very drinkable and excellent beer. The blending of the various spices I think is going to be outstanding a year or two out from now. Not bad at all right now, but I have high expectations for this down the road.

03-29-2008 04:51:26 | More by lpayette
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.