Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
3.9/5  rDev +3.2%

22oz bomber contributed by the darkness, blackie

appearance: pours into a medium wine glass, glowing apricot-orange body, bubbly, light beige head...very clear

smell: sweet and fruity, orange peel, lime, white pepper, clove

taste: this beer is spiced in all sorts of interesting ways that make it an interesting try even this early before maturation...i get a fair amount of pepper, clove, lime juice, orange peel, light booze, bready, nice yeast presence

mouthfeel: syrupy and full bodied, high sweetness, sugary

drinkability: pretty good

3.7/5  rDev -2.1%

a: white head rolls up from the bottom, nice retention, and a rich bright copper color

s: Candied, well spiced orange upfront with a big backbone of sugary pale malts. Aromas of various fruity baked goods and liquor sauce.. Carries quite a few similarities to a tripel.

m: smoothly carbonated with a slick, full-medum body

t: Lots of spice, particularly orange and coriander. Big load of pale malts and a considerable sweet flavor. Big notes of apple pie with big cinnamon and clove. Subtly hopped it seems. Interesting now but should come together nicely with some time.

d: not bad

bottle from The Caboose in Ashland, carried to Madison

consumed 08/02/2013: Actually survived age quite well, my second favorite so far with the chipotle/pepper VE at the top. Sweet tripel malts, a little earthy oxidation but not much, and a nice fruity coriander spice. Enjoyable.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I know this will be much better in a few years, but I'm reviewing it now, so I'm giving it a lower rating than I will at some future date.

This beer has a great rich orange/gold color and a slightly offwhite head that has good structure at first but falls fairly quickly for this slow sipper.

When you first pour it, it wafts clean fruity and spicy saison notes. Put your nose to the glass and everything intensifies going from mouthwatering to mindnumbing. The initial aroma had set me up for something lighter than Stone. But we would all be disappointed if Stone really served us up a light bodied beer. There is a lot of spice and fruit to this.

The taste is just a lot of punching and kicking, scratching and biting and screaming between your malty fruits your bitter hops and your spices. Right now everything is shouting so loud it is difficult to care. But give this party a few years and there will be perfect harmony. You can tell this beer has talent.

Overall: Seems very similar to the 444 sans lime leaves. I think the 444 was perfect though. Thanks to oodeftone for making sure I got one of these. I was able to get some more to age.

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

22 oz bottle shared at Phatz's tasting

Appearance: Golden orange beer with a unique yellowish white head. The head reveals lots of lacing on the sides of the taster.

Smell: Awesome. Ginger was the main aroma and it was sweet. Belgian spices and yeasts were secondary. Thre was also a fresh bubblegum and tutti frutti aroma as well.

Taste: Very estery and spicy with plenty of warming potential. Very interesting. Plenty of ginger flavor, maybe some coriander. Quite refreshing and complex.

Mouthfeel: I love the ginger flavor in the beer. Perhaps that lends itself to the pincy mouthfeel. There is plenty of carbonation to enjoy and this beer is sort of drying.

Drinkability: Not excellent, but this beer is quite nice. Maybe it's too fresh now and would be better consumed on 12.12.12. This would pair extremely well with sushi.

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

First had this on tap at the OBF, but for a variety of reasons couldn't do a review based on that (palate overload being the primary one). However, if anything the bottled version is even more impressive, which is what I had the other night.

Pours a rich, honey gold color, with creamy looking head and great lacing. The beer has a very complex nose, funky nose, with honey, butter, ginger and possibly even coriandor all intermingled. In other words, this beer smells fantastic. On the palate the beer is every bit as good. This is a big, almost viscous beer, with flavors of honey, cherry and ginger. It's pretty sweet, and the beer comes across as very, very rich, with a very long lasting, rich smooth finish. Just delicious. The abv. is noticeable, but is not the least bit obtrusive. However, given the abv. and sweetness of the, a little bit of this goes a long way.

A very impressive effort from the talented folks at Stone.

Edit from 3/15/13. Tasted recently during a vertical epic event at Pacific Coast Brewing. Unlike other recent reviews of this beer, I was impressed by how well this beer has held up. I got considerable tropical fruit, citrus (tangerine) and light butter, and I was frankly amazed by how tasty and rich this beer still was. Granted, my current score was no where as high as what I gave it back in 2007, but nevertheless, this beer has held up very well, and was a very tasty beer. There was even still some hoppy bitterness in the finish.

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

A wonderful choice for the hot summer evening after work sitting by the pool when I enjoyed mine. Poured a very attractive deep golden color into my glass with a small head that thinned quickly to a light film on the top. I wasn't blown away by the aroma, but the taste was delightful. Lots of spice right off the top, but a well balanced finish. Little to no lacing left behind in the glass. Felt wonderfully smooth in my mouth and really was a great way to finish this very hot summer day. I'm not sure how this beer really conforms to the styles it claims to be inspired by, but I enjoyed this beer very much and I will be anxious to see how the others I bought age over time — provided I can keep from drinking them.

3.93/5  rDev +4%

22oz brown bomber, bottle conditioned.
Served cellar temp in a Duvel glass.
Poured a bright gold. Plenty of big bubbled carbonation. Head dissipated quickly. Deep malt aroma, with some Belgian spice as well as some other hard to pin down spice, a little bubblegum as well.

Full bodied with lots of malt sweetness. Some spice from the yeast as well some other subtle spice flavors (ginger?) There is a slight hoppiness in the middle. Nice mouthfeel. Some warming from the alcohol. Quite drinkable even on a hot summer day. Nice American interpretation of a Belgian style.

My first Vertical Epic. Didn't really knock my socks off, but I enjoyed it.
I plan on saving a bottle for at least a year.

3.85/5  rDev +1.9%

This bomber was acquired in a recent trade from BA TexIndy. The Duvel tulip I had selected for the pour has held many Belgian Strong Pale Ales before, but this was the most orange looking beer that I have seen calling itself one. The head atop was disappointingly quite small. The aroma was laden with a lot of floral and spicy smells, and felt enticing but one-dimensional. The taste was also spicy, with ginger being predominant, followed closely by orange peel. The malt backbone was too bland to provide much counterpoint. Body was dry and crisp, which was a departure from the generally overly sweet American interpretations of the style. Quite smooth in the mouth, delicate even. I find it hard to believe that this one is a part of the Vertical Epic series. Without the alcoholic heft of a Tripel, or the earthy complexity of a Saison, two styles which this claims to be influenced by, I don't see this improving much over time. It is a good one to drink for now though.

3.4/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Pours a clear, light copper body with a small, white head.

Smell: Pale grain malt aroma full of fruity, spicy notes: banana, lemon, clove, and cardamom.

Taste: Light pale malt taste with some candi sugar sweetness and hints of banana, clove, and cardamom throughout. The hops seem especially light, instead leaving the oily, zesty citrus flavors to balance the sweetness. Still, it finishes sweet and carries over the cardamom and some of the purported ginger finally appearing.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: That's it for now, I'll be sure and return to this beer to see how it's progressing before the calendar year is up.

4.17/5  rDev +10.3%

I think this is one of the best, if not the best, fresh Vertical Epics that Stone has put out.

Pours a clear golden orange color. There's a thin white head that fades quickly to a fine sheet. Very light lacing remains.

Aroma is very nice blend of green apples, yeast, spices, candied sugars, and some citrus. I couldn't wait to dive into this one.

The flavor is almost as good as the smell. Spicy coriander, green apple, yeasty funk, just all of these great flavors melding together. Wonder if this will improve with age?

Spot on mouthfeel thats nicely carbonated. Only a very slight alcohol burn at the finish. This is a great choice for this very warm evening. I only have nine left from my case...I'm curious to see how long they last. I'll save at least one for each of the next five years.

3.88/5  rDev +2.6%

Blurry peachy gold. Thin capping of light white foam of tough strength as it lasts for good length before fading to a solid collar at the edge of the goblet. Lacing is stretched in large globby strings along the face of the glass.

Aroma is fair and light with a mildness bringing apple, melon, and berry fruityness over a soft sweet doughyness and a bit of Belgian yeast is evident with some hard candy factions of sugar.

Taste is pretty solid, nice even candish maltyness leaning in with rounded tones of soft fruits and dough. Good grab of candied yeast gives it an earthy yet sweetly spiced nudge of affection within the fruityness. Flavors are unique with the fruit, not really one fruit or another can be made out. Seems kinda orangey watermelon, pale peached, and a bit figgy. Some pithy citrus notes graze the back end adding some depth to the malts and fruits.

Feel is just over medium with a firm creamyness and yeasty carbonation bite to it. Holds its tone well as it stays pretty snappy and doesn't really have a finish. It lingers with fruity peels and yeasty things.

Another pretty solid offering from the Stone VE line up, not a favorite from what I've had other yeasr, but pretty solid and worth trying out.

3.1/5  rDev -18%

My first taste of the Vertical Epic series. I actually had a sample of it at Belgium Comes To Cooperstown before buying this 22oz bomber last week.

The fine print on the bottle suggests I should age this until 2012. I seriously lack that kind of patience so I'm opening it now at an age of 3 weeks.

Vessel of choice: Orval goblet.

Pours hazy orange-gold. Not much head to speak of, except after the pour itself. The head sticks to the side of the glass in a thin ring when all is said and done. Slight viscosity. There's an earthy/musty aroma wafting from the glass. Saison yeast? I've used it in homebrewing and it smells very similar. Also present is orange peel (coriander).

And now to taste. First impression is sourdough bread. Very yeasty. There is then some slight tartness of citrus laced with faint spiciness from either ginger, cardamom or even peppercorn. Doughiness and spice linger a while on the tongue. Warming from alcohol is barely noticeable. Very oily mouthfeel.

This is indeed a young beer which cellaring could only help. Honestly, I think it tastes good as is but the oily mouthfeel is kind of a turn-off. I imagine the flavor profile coming together a lot better with some time on the shelf.

3.98/5  rDev +5.3%

A good beer. I was not expecting it to be nearly as fruity as it was, though. When it is first poured, it looks amazing, very dark golden color, solid head. As it sits for a few seconds, and only a few, it looks, as one previous reviewer remarked, very much like apple sauce. When you drink it, you might be tasting an apple as well. The beer is also very sweet. These are not the traits that I love best in a beer, they are, however, unique, and entirely drinkable (quafable?). I don't spell. Anyway, I like to reward beers for being unique, and this one, if not in appearance, certainly is. it loses point because there is only so much fruityness I can handle, but it is none-the-less a good beer, and I recommend it.

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%

I got this at the Vintage Cellar in Blacksburg, VA, I just had to have it even though the reviews were less than stellar. It poured a deep orange amber with a small off white head, very very clear. I don't have the nose to pick out all the spices, there is a very spicy peppery start with a big sweet fruit, apples and pears, smell following the pepper. There are some flowery smells in there too. There is just as much complexity in the taste as in the nose. It starts very sugary and fruity, but that goes away quickly leaving a nice peppery, floural taste. I don't know how this will get better in 5 years, like the bottle says, I think the floural hops balance this beer nicely right now. It has a very dry mouthfeel, even with the sugary start, that is impressive to me.

2.85/5  rDev -24.6%

07/29/07- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- 22oz bottle, vintage 2007. Poured into my St. Bernardus chalice.

Appearance- A semi-flat looking deep orange color. Smaller than 1/4 inch head forms...a bit creamy looking...leaves minor lace spotting behind.

Smell- Got a bit too close to the beer because I couldn't smell jack. Well, I ended up with a nostril full of 070707. It wasn't very nice either. Smelled like sugary corn syrup. Smelled some orange-tangerine notes as it warmed, but mostly sugar.

Taste- Tasted pretty much like it smelled. Overwhelming corn syrup like flavor. Some corriander and cardamom and maybe some white pepper. Can see a touch of tripel and a touch of saison, but not ones that I would want to drink on a regualr basis.

Mouthfeel- Very low carbonation, almost flat. Yucky sugary coating of the tongue and mouth.

Drinkability- Damn, I hope this one really improves with the years. My least favorite of the VE's so far.

3.32/5  rDev -12.2%

I gotta say, I love me some transmogrification. A + B definitely equals more then a C.

Pours a nice golden color. Foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly. Very sweet and citrusy nose.

Very very sweet 1st taste. it is spicy at the end, but the sweetness definitely carries. Mostly malt, with hints of honey. There is a definite tartness in the aftertaste, not sure how to classify it. Spicy, has some kick and the alcohol adds a kick and a chewy mouth feel.

Decent body, pretty good tastes makes this worth a try. Interested to see how this ages

4.3/5  rDev +13.8%

Pours a golden amber color with a below average head for Belgian standards. After a few moments the beer looks flat. The smell is fantastic, hits the tripel smell on the head. The aroma is medicinal, spiced with corriander, honey notes, candi sugar, everything that makes up the Belgian funk smell. The taste is of honey malt, corriander, medicinal, candi sugar, it finishes with a light hop taste and granny smith apple tartness. Has a nice earthy quality. The feel is light almost watery, lightly carbonated which is nice to see in this style. Perhaps the best American version of a Belgian beer sans the appearance. Great smell and great taste. Hit the good Beligan style right on.

1.34/5  rDev -64.6%

Washington Irving, is his darkest dreams could not have conjured up a more frightening headless apparition than this. After 30 seconds it looks like goddam apple juice. Smell is run of the mill for the style, fruity esters, citrus, et al. Unfortunately the smell does not prepare one for a flavor which can only be described as an unmitigated disaster. Tastes like somebody spilled a shitload of ginger and grapefruit juice into a glass of Boone's Farm. Mouthfeel is slightly less dreadful.

It's painful for me to write this, as I believe that there is not a finer brewery in the country than Stone. That's the point, though. I expected a hell of a lot more out of this. At least a head would have been a start, for God's sake. I've tried this twice now, because I thought for sure I must've just been in one of my moods the first time. Unfortunately the second time confirmed it for me. Maybe if this is cellared for 5 years the wildly disparate flavors in this will merge into something palatable, but for now this is an absolute hideous mess of a beer.

4.12/5  rDev +9%

Pours a fairly crisp looking dark gold colour with a foamy head that dissolves rather quickly, leaving nary a trace of itself on the glass.

The aroma is very nice, with a good amount of spice mixed in with citrus, malt and a touch of noticeable yeast. It almost reminds me of a winter warmer for some reason.

Flavour is more of the same. I find that spice leads the way once again, blending with malt and citrus fairly evenly, with the latter providing some tartness along with some sweetness, mostly toward the finish. That said, I still can't escape the dominance (but not overpowering) of the spice in the flavour, and it's not a bad thing as it makes for a nice change of pace for a beer that's otherwise very much in line with the style for me. Mouthfeel is medium boded and a bit chewy. There's a nice dryness here.

This one hits the mark, especially as it warms a bit. Solid across the board, very drinkable fresh and should seemingly age nicely as well, but we shall see in about five and a half years...

A: Cloudy honey orange with a nice foamy off white head. Highly carbonated as the head vanishes quite slowly.

S: Nice citrus aroma. Also a small hint of apple is noticed underneath the aroma of oranges and lemons.

T: A good hop bitterness with nice earthy malty tones. A little alcoholic bite at the end but not enough to ruin the beer.

M: Very smooth. Not to bitter and does not sit heavy at all on the taste buds. Crisp and refreshing.

D: Highly drinkable in my opinion. I would like to have one more aged but this was very nice. Be sure to pick one up this year.

4.35/5  rDev +15.1%

22oz bomber, meant to be aged until 12.12.12, I didn't want to wait, so I served it in a pint glass.

A - clear, copper color, with a white head that really thinned out to a tiny ring.

S - all that citrus?... yep, you can smell the citrus, hops and some yeastiness, in this very young brewing,

T - I'm glad I drank it now, very tasty, well balanced flavors, sweet malt/fruitiness/little bittering from hops.

M - medium bodied, smooth carbonation, pleasant after taste.

D - it's very good tasting and goes down smooth, a nice drinkable treat for most beer lovers.

Final Note: I'm a little curious as to how this brew will age, but already knowing how good it is now would make it difficult for me to cellar it for any length of time, much less 5 years!
My local beer store just got a few cases of this beer in stock. I will definitely pick up 3 or 4 more of these and try to hang on to at least 1 until the 08.08.08 Vertical Epic is released.

I know Stone added some citrus peel to give this beer a San Diego spin, but, to me, thought the beer hit the Belgian style dead-on. In a blind taste test, I don't think I could distinguish this from a native product. Also, unlike others in the series, I think this beer is ready to drink right now - and I'm curious to see what some age does with it. A little sharp at the front, with some yeasty, fruity notes in the middle. Alcohol is present but not obtrusive. Nicely executed.

4.08/5  rDev +7.9%

My fourth Vertical Epic series beer I have had the chance to try and again another winner.Poured into a large tulip glass a deep rich golden with a hint of burnt orange,a large fluffy sticky white head atop that held great lasting power.Fruit and yeast stand out most in the aromas the use of lemon,and watermelon peel show as does the ginger (wich shows up more in the flavor of the beer) along with some yeasty clove-like spice.Big almost chewy mouthfeel adds character to the beer,quite complex flavors juicy fruit along with some yeasty spice with a very noticeable ginger and white pepper element in the finish.Normally not a huge fan of the style but this has some American twists and complex flavors,very nice...again.

3.65/5  rDev -3.4%

Dark gold with a brief 1-finger head, some small particulate matter floating around.

Fruity, estery aroma -- mostly pear, followed by some stawberry and a bit of alcohol.

Flavor starts moderately sweet with some mild pear, pineapple, and strawberry. From there, things fall off a bit -- mouthfeel thins and a mildly sour graniness takes over. A touch of alcohol in the finish, as well as a mild peppery note. "Bland" comes to mind, other than the prickly alcohol heat at the end.

I really like most of Stone's beers, but this just didn't quite make the grade. A good brew but not a great one.

3.82/5  rDev +1.1%

Appearance: clear yellowish orange in color. One finger head lingers around a while. Some spots of lace developed during the session.

Smell: big spiciness and some citrus tones are pleasant and enjoyable on the nose.

Taste: citrus is quite dominant with this in its young age. Ginger, oranges, lemon zest, and a yeast spiciness is balanced with a decent maltiness and a good hop bite. Alcohol is noticeable but not offensive.

Mouthfeel: lightly crisp on the tonge and a touch of dryness finishes it out. Medium bodied beer. Long spicy and citrus laden aftertaste.

Drinkability: decent but this needs to mellow a bit. Definitely buy a few of these so you can try it over time.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.