Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
CrellMoset

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Bottle purchased a ways back from Wine Warehouse in Charlottesville, VA. Poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

Appearance: A hazy orange beer with sparse but quick and big carbonation, a big foamy and slow-fading off-white, even, fluffy, rocky head. The head really does the Duvel glass proud, though that's possibly because this is almost twice the quantity of beer that you'd normally pour from a Duvel bottle into a Duvel glass, heh. Very meringue-like in its terrain and texture, as well. Lacing leaves a little to be desired though.

Aroma: Very strong spice - cloves, cardamom definitely - and banana yeast notes, but plenty of citrus zest too. Orange and lemon are prominent in the nose. The fruity esters get a little solvent-like after a while.

Taste: Very interesting, but it grew to be a chore a little quickly. Strong spice again and those obvious Belgian notes, some sweet candy sugar-like qualities, and lots of fruits. Peaches and apples in the aftertaste, in addition to the tart citric qualities.

Mouthfeel: Big and even, medium-to-large bubbled. Bubbles and feel are a little too big for this level of spice.

Drinkability: As far as alcohol goes, this one's fine - not too bad at all. But when all's said and done, although it's an impressive meld of flavors ... I didn't really care for them too much. The aftertaste was a little too spicy, and the meld of everything a little too unusual. This one might do well aging, give the spices and citrus a little while to mellow out and blend better.

08-24-2008 17:40:20 | More by CrellMoset
cameraman

Kentucky

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

An amber to golden color with quater inch thick white colored head. This dissolves away slowly, to form a thin film on top. The malt is at the front of the aroma, followed by a sweet citrus fragrance, not like grapefruit, more like an orange scent. There is a light gerassy fragrance coming out at the end. The malt rolls right in on the palate, that flavor blends itself to a sweet citrusiness that last till the end, also has bit of ginger flavor as well. A medium bodied feel, there is a foaming sensation of carbonation midway, and a mild burn of alchol in the throat. This beer has been aging for about eleven months, I have another one aging as well. It has alot beligian characteristics of fruitiness and sweet spices, but the unpleasant feel brings it down.

08-20-2008 01:07:11 | More by cameraman
Sticket

Wisconsin

P- a declared 8.4% abv in a 22oz brown bomber bottle.

A- pours a clear medium amber to deep gold with a light tan colored bubbly head that recedes into a ring around the edge.

S- citrus of lemons and oranges and ginger aroma.

T- starts with a mild sweetness followed with bitter ginger spice and finishes with a moderate amount of bitterness from the hops, alcohol is hidden well in this powerful (and to the style) flavor.

M- medium body that is moderately carbonated.

D- well balanced with a solid amount of alcohol that goes down easy but sits a little heavy. A great tasting beer, but most won't drink more than one at a time. I could see myself sitting down on a dark and cold winter night celebrating with this one.

08-20-2008 00:46:18 | More by Sticket
Sconnie

Wisconsin

1.98/5  rDev -47.5%

Had this at the Stone 08.08.08 event at Brasserie V in Madison. Stone has just hit the Madison market, and has hit hard, with their posters and taps showing up all over the city. But I have to say, I have yet to be impressed with ANY of their beers, especially this one.
I was told by a Stone Rep that this was a Saison style, even though it's listed as a belgian strong ale here. Pours a pale gold, smells very strongly of spices. The taste is all spice: tons of ginger, cinnamon, clove and coriander, nothing else at all. After a year of aging you'd think the spices would have died down, but not at all. Maybe there was more hop flavor initially that has worn off with age, making this beer unbalanced, but whatever it is, this was flat out BAD. Spices in the face with nothing else going on. I could only choke down 1/3 of the pint. I hate to waste beer, and this is the only beer I can remember that I have ever sent back without finishing as it was just plain un-drinkable.
After having this, their arrogant bastard, ruination and the 08.08.08, I am very disappointed with Stone. Add on their "you're probably to stupid to understand how good our beer is" marketing campaign and I'm totally done with this brewery.

08-12-2008 19:30:15 | More by Sconnie
corey0212

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

On the eve of my first taste of 08.08.08....

Pours a clear golden copper color, very small head, and little in the way of lacing...but the color on this beer is damn sexy, so it gets a 4. Smell is spicy, saison-like, some tropical fruit aromas. Taste is sweet, lemon tartness, slightly earthy, and some soft peppery notes. Very refreshing, tightly carbonated, slight drying effect, some lingering bitterness on the sides of the tongue. I love this one....guess I better start snatching up all the bottles from my local stores.

08-09-2008 02:25:30 | More by corey0212
smcolw

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Today is 08-08-08 and so I rate the 07-07-07 (while watching the Olympic Opening Ceremony).

Impressive initial head that recedes in a rocky fashion but eventually only a single layer of bubbles remains. Gold color and crystal clear.

Orange rind, all spice, and strong ginger aromas. Slightly earthy.

I would describe the initial sip as harsh, perhaps from ginger. The alcohol is very present but doesn't give the typical oiliness. Good body and highly carbonated.

Overall, this is a decent American version of Belgian Gingered Ale. Interesting as a different style of beer.

08-09-2008 00:48:16 | More by smcolw
TheBCrew

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Sampled at BCTC 2008.

Pours a light amber with a thick off-white head and some lacing. Subtle spice in the aroma as well as some hop pine. Interesting taste with several competing flavors including cloves, pine, malt sweetness, some juicy fruit and a slight, almost saison-like tartness. Mouthfeel was medium-heavy and somewhat chewy. Good drinkability.

08-05-2008 20:40:03 | More by TheBCrew
zerofear13

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

I had high expectations for this Stone Vertical Epic. I saw it on the shelf at American Beer Distributors in Brooklyn and grabbed the last one - a 22 oz. bomber.

The beer poured out an amber, gold color, with a thick foamy, sticky head. Immediately the smell reminded me of a saison with the overpowering herb-y and spicy aromas. The taste is very complex. For me, the most notable was the different spices from the yeast. There were mild hints of citrus and dark fruits, and although the beer had a great mouthfeel, it was a bit heavy. I had to share the bottle with a friend.

In my opinion, there was just way too much going on in this beer. I couldn't focus on any one particular taste. I'm such a huge fan of Stone, but I think its special occasion beers are a bit too much for me. Vertical Epic falls into that category.

08-03-2008 00:28:49 | More by zerofear13
SMADMS

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

poured from a 22oz bottle

no chance this is waiting til 12/12/2012 as botle recommends

A-- very nice apricot color with fine bubbly 2 finger head
S-- wonderful fruity tones, flowers, slight spice
T-- follows the nose, fruit (pears) and the spice are there but the zest and peels are lost in the body. nice earthiness
M-- wonderfully clean and light
D-- very nice BSA well balanced flavors (lots of them)

this is my first of the veticals but with only 11 days to go looking forwards to 08/08/08

07-28-2008 13:34:39 | More by SMADMS
alexgash

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz. bomber.

Mostly clear (slight haze) golden apricot body with a gauzy, tight-bubbled, off-white head. Decent lacing. Lots of spice on the nose. Cardamom, nutmeg, and fresh-cut flowers over powdered sugar, pears, and misc. fruit. Perfumy and wildflowery.

Taste follows nose. Spicy baking spice an floral notes up front. Tangy sweet sugar fruit malt follows. Grassy, herbal, spice edge throughout. Vegetal, herbal bitter finish, with some yeasty-ness and a hint of alcohol warmth. Not bad. Full-bodied with a syrupy feel. The spices may hinder the drinkability, but splitting a bomber isn't hard to do.

07-15-2008 01:18:34 | More by alexgash
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Yeast-flecked apricot with much less carbonation than a Belgian-style ale ought to have. The attractive three finger slice of pale orange-ivory foam doesn't seem to care. It melts in appealing fashion and is doing a better than adequate job with glass coverage.

I like knowing the recipes of the Vertical Epics (thanks Greg), but it does take some of the fun out of trying to guess the ingredients during the reviewing process. Ground ginger is obvious and I might have been able to identify the warm muskiness of cardamom. The grapefruit, orange and lemon peel is lost in the shuffle, as are the hops. This isn't the aroma of a classic BSPA/tripel/saison, but it's very nice all the same.

I like what the brewery has done with 07.07.07. A strong golden ale that uses Belgian yeast and/or added spices is right up my alley. An early impression is that the balance among sweet, bitter and spicy is close to ideal. Another is that this big brew has aged very well so far. Still five years to go, though.

The flavor profile is deliciously golden fruity and is reminiscent of perfectly spiced apples and pears. As in the nose, citrus fruit peel is overpowered by the strong personalities of ginger and cardamom. There might even be a little ground clove from the Belgian yeast. The 'saison-tripel hybrid' impression of the brewers sounds about right.

Almost no alcohol finds its way to the taste buds. A gentle warming on the journey down the esophagus is the only indication of its presence. Warming doesn't change much, it simply intensifies the already enjoyable potpourri of flavors. What the hell... as the bottom third of the bomber approaches, I can see no reason why the flavor score shouldn't be bumped.

A Belgianesque body/mouthfeel would have been absolutely killer. Since so few American brewers can pull it off, no points have been deducted. The beer is medium in heft, with a supple, light viscosity that is probably due to the candi sugar. A few more volumizing bubbles would have been great.

For my money, Stone Vertical Epic 07.07.07 comes in third place behind the excellent BSDAs 05.05.05 and 0.6.06.06. It's excellent, gulpable beer because the spices were well-chosen and because they were added in just the right proportions. I'd love to see something like this get a new name and a year-round release. Bring on 08.08.08.

07-09-2008 21:47:10 | More by BuckeyeNation
Boto

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

22oz bomber: This one pours a slightly hazy, darker golden color. There was a bit of white foam on the top that settles down to a thin layer . The nose is nice. Yeastiness, breadiness, spices, earthiness, there is a lot going on here. Boy, this is smooth. A hint of effervesence on the tongue. Spicy taste, with some of the breadiness in the background. Nice body. Very Nice!

07-08-2008 21:44:13 | More by Boto
joezak5

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; a beautiful coppery amber that is crystal clear with the tiniest most delicate little bubbles slowing floating to the top. Three finger thick white head that has little retention but excellent lacing.

Smell: Sweet gingery, peppery and citrusy yeast. The ginger has devloped in the year it's aged, almost burning the back of my nose. The sweet sugared coating on this really balances it.

Mouthfeel: Very light and bubbly in the mouth. The spice is on the back of the tongue but is mainly a champagne feel.

Taste: Biscuity and gingery lemon scone type flavor starts it with the peppery yeast kicking in. Ginger clove warmth on the finish.

Drinkability: Light, crisp and balanced. This just feels like a celebration beer to me. I hope the ginger blends just a bit more over the years but other than that a real winner.

07-08-2008 00:41:02 | More by joezak5
jasonjlewis

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Pours a huge frothy head with a rich golden color.

Smell is sort of a hybrid as stated. Sort of Saison meets Strong Pale. I smell a lot of spices, however they are a little faint. I smell plum and a little orange with some coriander and I believe I smell a tiny bit of nutmeg. It comes together nicely, but is a little faint.

On first sip , I get the point of the beer. I sense the hybrid style attempt. I am a little disappointed as the beer is a little watery. The spiciness comes out but there is not enough initial sweetness from any sugar. It has a decent dryness, but it needs a little more richness. I don't think this one will age well. I think I may trade this one away instead of aging it. It seems like it would have been better fresh. Sorry to the powerball winners who didn't get one, I thought I'd want to age it.

This beer lacks crispness. It has a mild amount of crispness, but comes across a little watery.

I'm a little disappointed. This beer is only slightly above average. I expect more from stone. I am sorry to the beer powerball winners who wanted this beer, I really thought I wanted to age it. It's up for grabs now. I don't think it will age well. It's not even rought around the edges. It won't age well.

07-03-2008 02:48:53 | More by jasonjlewis
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

As the one-year mark approaches on the 07.07.07, I thought I'd open a bottle to see how this one is doing. This has been kept in a dark cellar closet since last summer. A puff of soft carbonation hisses from under the cap and into the La Chouffe tulip glass it goes.

A: Hazy orange-honey color, shows plenty of rising carbonation. With a brisk pour, cracking eggshell white head builds to just over a finger. A noisy crown of multi-sized bubbles knit loosely together, but fades away after just a couple minutes. No lace and, once the head disappears, looks a little lifeless after a while.

S: Big aroma of apples, green raisins and dried (berry) fruit wraps. Musty blend of yeast and 'Belgian' spiciness. Malty and sweet, balanced with citrusy hops.

T: More green apples, cinnamon/nutmeg spice with a burst of tangy-sweet tangerine citrus. Ripe berries, earthy yeast. Mushy pear and some booze, a little like brandy.

M: Satiny smooth thickness, sizable mouthfeel with a soft carbonation and some lasting coating. Though generally sweet and fruity, the finish does dry out (medicinal/chalky). Alcohol heat is now a pleasant 'warmth'; earlier tastes of this last summer were unpleasantly 'hot' for me. The mellowing over these months has improved the mouthfeel.

D: After my last (disappointing) try of this (August '07), I vowed to revisit at some point. Given time, this has improved in most aspects; many of my scores adjusted a .5 point upwards. I like the creativity of a Belgian Tripel/Saison hybrid and would say this leans toward the Tripel, both in terms of appearance/flavor and the elevated ABV. A good one to sip on, interesting enough to ruminate over. Glad I saved a few of these for later. Recommended.

Thanks, Metalmonk, for posting the review that 'reminded' me to give this another try...

06-21-2008 21:42:35 | More by msubulldog25
Metalmonk

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Even if you wanted to, you couldn't pour this without getting at least an inch-thick of fluffy whiteness. The head is very Belgian in that its made of a zillion impossibly small bubbles and stays put for the duration, coating the sides of the glass with each tilt and return. Color is rusty autumn orange.

Smell is exotic spices, ones I can't name, plus heavy ginger and anise, also a little bit of nutmeg. There's a good yeast presence, and the malts seem to have produced a predominantly sweet backbone.

Aromas detected come out assertively on the tongue, with a hint of cinnamon in there as well. Grapefruit adds a little twang/tang in the background. Basically you're getting a complex melange of exotic spice and fresh citrus fruit basket. A hint of yeast comes through, especially with warming, and the alcohol makes for even more boisterous behavior on the tongue. While it's incredibly complex, it somehow leans a little to one side, without having a strong malty base to add balance. Malts are like raw sugar-cookie dough, but could've been pushed up a little further. It certainly is delicious enough without having any major problems. I even dig the alcohol heat, seems to work for the flavors that are present. A blindfold taste-test would probably have most Belgian aficionados swearing this was from the Beer Paradise itself. Kudos.

The mouthfeel is outstanding, with a clean, buttery lightness, a great creamy roundness, and just a touch of carbonation which amplifies the spicier elements.

I love Saisons and I love Tripels...this is a hybrid of the two. And it's Stone. How could it fail? It's not your typical Stone ale, but what is a typical Stone ale but something atypical in the first place? This is worthy of the brewer's reputation, and a worthy addition to the "Vertical Epic" series. The only reason I wouldn't rate drinkability even higher is because all that citrus/spice just sticks with you and sticks with you, almost to the point of overload. Kudos again, Stoners...

06-06-2008 22:47:13 | More by Metalmonk
jamesm7485

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

As a stone whore myself, i saw this in my local bottle shop and figured eh what the hell ill pick up a few. Im glad i did as a frequent ris and dipa drinker this was a nice lighter change without being flavorless. Nice fruity taste but not in an offensive way and its hard to pinpoint what it is. Not stones typical offering's but its a very good solid beer and im looking forward to trying the rest of the line.

05-22-2008 20:41:55 | More by jamesm7485
raiser

Picked it up because it looked interesting

A. translucent light gold. Light carbonation, very little head mostly on edge of my snifter, and lasted 1 minute.

S. Ginger, Citrus, maybe some cinnamon, not very distinctive.

T. If you like fruit + ginger you've found a beer. Sweet and tart, with little aftertaste.

M. Light... Tiny Bubbles

D. Not really my gig, but I think the wife will like it. Hides the 8.4% well. It's worth trying if you have access to it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless you LOVE ginger and/or citrus beers.

It's not bad, but it's also not Epic.

05-20-2008 01:42:35 | More by raiser
kkipple

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Cracked out during 2007 to see what all the fuss was about.

A. Semi-clear light gold. Light carbonation, very few visible bubblies. Small head that hits the edges of the glass. Poor retention.

S. Ginger, sweet toasty malt. Citrus hops, floral. Appealing, but a little "flat".

T. Sweet and sugary with a ginger wallop and a tripel-like pepper flavor. A little toasted and caramel malt are a welcome addition here; the hops are citrus and a tad spicy. Finish is lightly tart with a lingering sweetness and spice and is very reserved.

M. Light, thin, lowly carbonated.

D. Decent, but nothing spectacular. Too thin and lacking in fizz for my tastes. Needs more of that elusive "oomph" -- especially if this is going to hold up another 5 years!

05-17-2008 18:35:02 | More by kkipple
IBUnit63

From bomber to BMS mug...

3-finger, cream-colored head with chewy texture and pronounced pour seams bordering translucent natural honey-colored body. Natural carbonation is plentiful. Despite how enticing this may sound, the look of the entire package isn't awe-inspiring.

Beautiful Belgian aroma of banana ester, sweet ginger and malt-carbonation brings tingle to the nose. Vanilla and butterscotch complement the...ummm..."nasal viscosity" of the offering. With warmth, slight citrus and zest emerge along with subtle spices that are tough to place.

Sweet and silky texture of deep malt character a fair amount of banana with a modest alcohol burn; citrus and zest (with a little yeast) emerge has helped by the carbonation. Slight supple leather taste - tanginess and alcohol mix on back of palate. Stewed malt - maybe cherries - on the finish.

Even-keeled mouthfeel - relatively balanced and well-craften. Minute alcohol burn. Complex yet extremely subtle; even though I can read the ingredients on the label it's difficult to pick them out.

This is a well-made effort that could probably use some more time downstairs, and perhaps a little extra warmth in the mug. For now it's pleasant to sip pensively at night. I gotta admit, as a next-nigh worshipper to the gargoyle that encompasses Stone IPA, Ruination and the Bastard (single and Double), I would have expected a little more out of these guys. This is good, but borderline commercial. Let's get back on track, yeah?!

05-02-2008 03:05:13 | More by IBUnit63
thickerfreakness

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured this one into a Unibroue tulip. It has a nice white head and the color is what I would imagine from a wit/trippel hybrid. The smell is expected from a wit with a little bit of punch. I realize this is 10 months old already but I just don't really like this taste. I think I'm tasting some ginger and it just really isn't pleasant to me. I also taste clove and spicy belgian yeast but the ginger taste is just ruining this for me. Overall this is my least favorite of all the Stone beers I have had.

05-01-2008 23:19:37 | More by thickerfreakness
scootny

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz bomber courtesy of krkearney. Thanks for your trading and attention to detail my bro!! Pours a hazy honey gold into my Chimay chalice. Light head with little retention and spotty lacing. Gentle carbonation. Not stunning but certainly pretty.

Smell is a blend of intricate aromas. Orange grapefruit , corrianderish cardamom, ginger, honey and malt. Hops and yeasty esters combine with the others to create a "come hither" nose.

Taste is sweet and spicy. The ginger is not shy at all and the strong malt construction has a tripleish but alcoholic tenor. Which is to say the booze is hidden, only showing itself at warmer temps. The hops have a Belgian treatment, delicate, complex, and delightful with a good drying in the finish. There is a wine like aspect that gives the beer a sophisticated sipping quality.

Mouthfeel is respectably weighty, as it is a beer to be aged but not so heavy as to keep it from a hot summer day. The gentle carbonation picks up in the mouth and scrubs the tongue and palate. Good stuff here.

Drinkability is better than the number suggests. A sipping beer that makes you want more than is prudent. You're not going to knock back a bunch of these without help, but if you have friends, and good food, and time... have a designated driver. Sneaky and sophisticated.

A great beer in it's early stages. I have a few of these now for my own 2012 Epic. Watch this space for an aging update in 2010.

05-01-2008 04:56:38 | More by scootny
clayrock81

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured the 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass (unfortunately no other glass available) and received a cloudy, orangish body with slight amber hues. A solid, two-finger head that stuck around for awhile and left good sheath lacings.
A good combo of cirtic and other fruit notes along with some spices. Picked up pear, apple, orange and banana, along with pepper and maybe clove. Not a strong hoppy or malt smell, but there was some sugar in it also. A definite fruit taste comes first, mostly orange and lemon (all the ones I listed above, for the record), and then some spices hit. But this beer also has a sweetness to it, like bubblegum, and is also balanced with caramel and/or honey to give some taste on the sides of the mouth. Has some nice hops in it to finish it out so it goes down even and not like a fruit/dessert beer. It's hard to pinpoint the mouthfeel, it is full-bodied, sweet, fruity, but also contains some spices and can be a little crisp. Bottom line, this is one of the most complex brews I've had in a long time - it is almost a combo of Belgian Ale and German Hefe, to bastardize it a tad. The price and high ABV restrict its sessionability, but this is a must have for anyone to try and a must cellar brew also.

04-29-2008 17:07:05 | More by clayrock81
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -5%

A: Hazy-bronze with floaties, white head, very little retention, light lacing.

S: Candied pineapple, gingerbread, spice & a slight fruity tartness.

T: Spicy gingerbread, tropical fruit, cloves, grain, light bitterness, slight tartness, light alcohol warmth.

M: Moderate body & carbonation with a dry finish.

D: Something to sip with dinner.

04-10-2008 00:06:29 | More by Derek
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Spicey yeast aroma is great. Cloudy yellow with substantial lace. Orange, pineapple, and malty, ginger, cloves,some citrus peel, and much sweet finish.Smooth drinking. Medium mouthfeel and suitable understated carbonation. Good Belgium strong and good break from so many other chocolate and coffee ales.

04-09-2008 21:49:21 | More by Sammy
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.