Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev -6.6%

A: Light copper color with chill haze to it. Off white frothy head rests on top leaving a fine lace behind.

S: Coriander, nutmeg, jasmine, clove and honeydew melon.

T: Starts quite spicy but overall fresh. Really tastes a lot like it smells; coriander, jasmine, cardomon and black pepper. Little bit of lemon zest across the tip of the tongue with plain yogurt across the center of the palate. Perhaps some gardenia nectar runs through it too. Finish with some sasparilla, farmhouse flavors and spicy yeast.

M: Medium body with a soft mouthfeel

D: Liked the beer the first time I had it better than this bottle. Could it have already lost some of its pizzazz? Dunno. I’ll give it another whirl and rereview if I feel its fitting. (742 characters)

2.31/5  rDev -39.2%

Well, I'll give this a pass, for now, as apparently it is a beer that's meant to be aged.

Not impressed at the moment. Flavors were sharp, but didn't blend well, and it was exceedingly raw. Almost seemed like it had been mixed from other beers....hard to describe.

I'll give it a year or two and try another bottle.

**I had another one recently. Somewhat impatient, I know, but given just how much I've enjoyed other Stone offerings, I had to try this again. It has not improved. I'm actually lowering my score a notch. The flavors do not sit well together, and I don't know what crazy spice after-taste they were going for, but I simply "Do not want."

***the next time I have this beer, it will be when it's aged five years. If anything, it is less drinkable now than it was when I initially had it, probably as my tastebuds and palate have grown a bit more discerning in the intervening year. Spicy, hot with alcohol, just an unpleasant mess. So atypical of Stone. (971 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +7.9%

This is one of the better Vertical Epics I've had, but that being said, I haven't really been a huge fan of any of them so far (and I've had 04 to current). The bottle says that it is a mix between a saison and a tripel, and I think it is just as advertised.

The beer pours to a nice golden blonde color with a nice medium collar of slightly off-white head. Slightly hazy. Lacing leaves something to be desired, but a little bit sticks. Retention is good.

The smell is quite spicy. Smells mostly like lemon and lime with banana and clove notes. I can also pick up the cardamom and ginger listed on the bottle, though not as much as the lemon and banana. Hints of candi sugar and/or malt sweetness with an undertone of alcohol.

The taste is good. Lots of interesting spice. Lemon and banana most prominently, followed by clove, white pepper, cardamom, and ginger. Slightly bubblegummy. Sweet malt and candi sugary belgian flavor. Just a hint of alcohol.

The body is fairly thick with a subtle carbonation, lending a creamy feel. Would be easier to drink if it was a little less alcoholic and spicy. Very good though. I would be very interested to find out how this fares at 12.12.12, but I only had a single bottle. (1,226 characters)

Appears a honey glazed golden hue with a large white head leaving speckled lacing behind very impressive look to it. Aromatics contain delicate floral hops ginger spiciness mild background sweet and tart while grape tartness mild pineapple and pear fruitiness very aromatics like an insense candle burning slightly perfumey hop component going down. Flavor citrus peel viscosity tannin like character with a ginger finish, complex alcoholic swetneess honey tinged spicy notes good flow here but I see some age will help mold this one. Mouthfeel has a slightly syrupy character strong fortified carbonation, stay on your palate pretty unrelenting. Drinkability, definitely still young and a bit abrasive good thing it needs to last until December 12th, 2012. I really enjoyed the blend of the citrus and ginger here I could definitely take on some sushi with this complementing my dinner. (887 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +7.1%

22 oz. bottle, 8.4% ABV. Pretty clear darker gold color, with some small sediment floating about. Thick white foamy head trickles down to a thin layer after a minute.

Strong spicy, and candied fruit aroma practically leaps out of the bottle. Cinnamon, apples, oranges, other earthy spices along with some floral and earthy notes. Quite the nose on this one!

Lots of orange, grapefruit, and other fruits at first, followed by some nice spices and that Belgian yeastyness. Saison character really comes out at the beginning, especially after warming just a bit.

Seems to be a bit thick and syrupy. Alcohol is well hidden. A bit more carbonation would do for me. Still very nice, and should age very well. Another hit. (725 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +7.6%

"Stone calls this one a Golden Triple / Saison Hybrid" What more needs to be said? Stone bomber, Pours orange/amber clear, moderate off white head and just respectable lacing. Nose is boldly of fruity sweetness and spicy intrigue. Complex brew. upfront you will find plenty of fruit, spice, sweet malt. Candy apple sweet, tropical fruit sweet, coriander spice, ginger spice, gin spice. You either will love or hate this one and it will be interesting to see what some time does to mellow it out and perhaps bring things together a bit. For now its bold, complex and to my warped taste buds quite tasty...go get some and enjoy...thanks to Keith from DeCiccio market in Pelham, NY for letting me know this one had come in and was on the shelves... (745 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale
22oz bomber
Moderate pour in a chalice.
Recent brewing, enjoyed 07/07

Poured a clear amber brown with a moderate fizzy mostly diminishing white head.

Smelt of strong tutti frutti with moderate oranges, sweet cake, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, anise. Smells like a very sweet shiny sweet bread. Lots of fun spices happening here!

Taste was upfront strong sweet bread and oranges and moderate bitter spices and caramel bread followed by more of the same, but with an accent on the bitter kick of spices.

Palate was medium bodied, creamy and velvety, softly carbonated, lightly astringent and moderately alcoholic.

Overall, this is a great beer to smell. Stone is having fun with this beer and it shows. A little rough looking and rough on the palate though. Not enough thick fluffy rocky belgian head and too viscous on the palate. Very interesting hybrid nonetheless! (912 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +25.8%

The Bottle- it is a big ole pints worth of exceptional beer from an extra ordinary brewery that Stone Brewing Company is.

The pour- pours out like any good ole Belgian style beer should like a Trappist with its massive mushrooming head, and deep golden color into any style chalice glass like Chimay with its maelstrom center of spiraling bubbles typical of any Belgian style ale.

Smell- smells like mowed grass on a cool spring day in may.

Taste- holy moely where do you begin, well on the front of the tongue get a big taste of citrus that fades quickly into an effervesce of a tonic and lime or in this case lemon. Which ends in a complex mix of alcohol and tannins that make for a rather refreshing drink so long as you drink it slowly. There is no need to rush this it will be with you for a very long time.

Drink ability- very drinkable just take you time with the best of time and the worst of times. (920 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -1.3%

Review #100 for me and my first Stone epic...cool.

Porus either a bright gold or a pale copper depending on your perspective. Good clarity and a some bubbling action. Less than an inch of off-white head that recedes fairly quickly, leaving a thin and splotchy lace and really no stick on the sides of the glass. Was expecting better head and retention.

Smell is dominated by citrusy lemon zest and spice. There's definitely ginger in there and who knows what other spices, although some of that spice is hops, as well as some yeast and alcohol.

Taste is pretty much the same as the smell. Lemon, ginger and spice are all there and there is a subtle malt sweetness present, as well. Finishes dry with a a bit of hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is medium- to full-bodied and has a crisp carbonation.

I like the flavor but it gets to be a bit much by the time the bomber is through. I haven't had other epics to compare this to, and sadly I didn't buy another bottle to see how it ages, but I enjoyed this one here and now. (1,026 characters)

3.29/5  rDev -13.4%

Poured from a Stone bomber into an Orval glass for me and St. Bernardus chalice for her. The beer is a light copper color, just a touch hazy, with a very thin head. The aroma is a little pepper spicy, kind of tripel-like, it has a Belgian-esque yeast quality. The flavor is reminiscent of some American tripels such as Golden Monkey or Final Absolution, but with a noticeable alcohol bite. Maybe it will mellow out as it ages towards 121212, but for now this is among my least favorites from Stone. On the plus side, my wife likes it. But she's got a taste for raw alcohol... (575 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +21.6%

Appearance: This beer was an absolute gorgeous golden honey color. When held up to a light there was a hint of amber. The head was 2-3 fingers, and at an inch over the glass the head refused to drip.

Smell: Smells uniquely similar to Dog's 120 min IPA. The smell was tangy. Very tangy. Tangy and honey sweet. W/ a hint of citrus, and a deep hop.

Taste: Again, tangy. Tangy and Sweet; very similar to 120 IPA. It had deep flavors of honey, citrus, w/ a hint of very ripe pineapple. The finish was kind of buttery and hopalicious. The hops underlayed all of these flavors perfectly.

Mouthfeel: After taking a drink, there was a second foam reaction. I take (huge) gulps, which almost made my cheeks pop. Not sure why this is, maybe I didn't let it set long enough after pouring/opening.

Drinkability: I am more than thankful I have a whole case. The only problem will be resisting drinking them before the summers over. Yeah, that good. (947 characters)

3.67/5  rDev -3.4%

Aroma is very spicy, a combo of yeast esters and added spices. I get the ginger that's described on the bottle and some citrus too that could be the citrus peel but also some American hops. Underneath is nice malt aromas with some crystal malt nose. There is a very slight belgian "funk" to go in there too.

Golden with lots of big rising carbonation bubbles but a pretty small rocky head fades to not much head at all.

First sip is very malty sweet. Lots of honey flavor. Later sips as it warms up is more spicy. I really get a bunch of citrus, more like candied peel than bitter rind. Aftertaste is pretty much dominated by the ginger. The flavors aren't really well blended, each stands out pretty much. But the beer is intended to be aged so maybe they will begin to blend with time in the bottle. Right now I find it all a little too much to concentrate on and so harder to enjoy.

Medium to full bodied which hides the strength. Very rough carbonation level that acts to cleanse the palate making it seem even lighter.

Interesting fresh. Not among my favorites right now but I've got my stash for the long haul. (1,129 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +18.4%

A- Thick tan head on a crystal clear dark orange body. Very little lacing left and head retention wasn't to good.
S- It really smells like what you would imagine a triple mixed with a saison would smell like. A nice size banana mixed with spices and yeast. Grass hops and light cloves, hints of some other fruits like maybe a tiny bit of pineapple and pear? Also alcohol is noticed too.
T- Again the flavor is like the two mixed. You get a banana blended about equally with the saison style of yeast and the spices. Alcohol is noticeable, maybe a little to much on the tongue. Some other fruits make there way in there also with a few other spices. The more I sip on it the better it gets. A dry hop bitterness slowly builds up on tongue.
M- Full/medium body with low/medium carbonation.
D- The more I am drinking the more I like it. I think it may be a tad to hot right now but maybe in about 6 months it will be tasting better. I think it might actually age well unlike some others think. I can see the flavors blending together a bit more and the alcohol not being as hot. Can't wait to find out. (1,105 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

This offering from Stone pours a dark orange rusty brown that leaves a thin head that quickly disappears. The aroma is sweet upfront, dried prunes, figs, caramel, some wheat, grassy earthy notes. Def spicy hops that leave a tingle in the nose. The taste is very malty up front, caramel, apple, raisins, but somewhat spicy and dry in the finish what is this beer? I took a look at the bottle it gives a brief description and it is all apparent in the beer but this is one that defies style. I would pair this beer with fresh blueberry, blue cheese, raisins, and nuts on top of a mesculan salad with a nice vinagerette. I know this is pretty boozey for a salad starter but bulk up the salad and split the bottle and let the flavors meld together. Great job Stone looking forward to next years. (791 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -2.1%

I drank this 22oz beer out of one of the new fandangled Sam Adams pint glasses.

The first taste i thought "oh great another ginger ale." Then as i tasted it more i focused on the Saison character and citrus notes. Pretty nice. Not as good as 6-6-6 though.

When it warms up to room temperature it gets a buttery nose and a quite intense ginger flavor.

I assume this ginger will mellow as it ages. (404 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours a slightly hazy golden amber with three finger head that dissipates slowly leaving a solid cap and fairly heavy lacing.

Cardamom, lemon, orange, grapefruit, and hops to the nose.

Taste is more complex than the nose. Aforementioned spice, fruit, hops and malt all blend together with varying intensities leading to a fairly dry finish.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good carbonation, crisp and refreshing.

Good drinkability, will see how this ages. Wish I had a case of 06.06.06 instead of this, but time will tell. (536 characters)

This beer is slightly hazed and throws out a deep golden hue. The head is thin and white. Lacing sporadic. Pretty nice aroma with belgian yeast apparent. Nice little sweet doughiness. The spices are not overbearing on the nose. I get a little cardamon. On the palate I get alcohol, sweetness and fruits. Tropical punch like. The alcohol is really evident and acts as the buzzkill in this context. Otherwise, I also get some lime notes, ginger and lemon. Too much stuff going on here and it doesn't mesh all that well....right now. Don't know about the future, but some age can't hurt this. I don't forsee cracking another for years....possibly till 2012. My least favorite of the Epics so far. (693 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +3.9%

Appears a light golden with an orange tone and a 2 finger, fluffy white cap that slowly fades out. A few tiny particles fall out of suspension in the bottom of the glass. Streaky lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of tropical fruits with notes of orange, pear, vanilla, peaches, grapefruit, cardamom, and mild spices and phenols.
Taste is of the mentioned aromas with hints of a saison but leaning more towards a Belgian Gold with spice additions.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, spritzy up front, mildly sweet, enticing, and dry on the finish.
A youngling that will do better with some aging. Definitely nice enough to drink now though for those who can tolerate complex yeast phenols, along with spices. (712 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -39.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

This review is based on my current tasting. As others stated a few years might help this one out.

A - Poured a coppery yellow. Minimal carbonation and lacing in mine.

S - Kind of spicey smell. Not a bad aroma at all.

T - This is where I was very upset. Too much spicey bite. While some might like this it was much too overbearing for me. I imagine this is what it is like to chew on one of those cheap gross spicey potpourri things people have in glass dishes. No real malt charecter to help out here either. Really besides the overwhelming spice it is kind of a thin brew with alcohol bite. The aftertaste is almost like carboard. It was a real chore to get through the bomber.

M - Very little carbonation really but not a bad mouthfeel per se. When you get past the taste.

D - The way it tastes now I would not really WANT to drink much of it. Besides that it has kind of too much alcohol bite.

Honestly I don't mean to be a jerk I love almost every other stone beer and I loved last years vertical. But I think they may have stepped into something they could not make, I have had a few Saisons and Belgan Golden Ales (from Belgium) and they just kick the crap out of this one. Way too much spice. I will leave the other 2 bottles I got for a few months, once the spice dies down they will probably be a little more drinkable then. As another guy stated they said bottle conditioned but no yeast at the bottom. Strange. Honestly there is not much charecter besides the spice so in 5 years I imagine this just being a thin alcohol soup with subdued spiciness. I love stone, they are my go to beer company. Stick to what you know guys please. After I drank it I had to brush my tongue to get the cardboard aftertaste off my tongue. Maybe I got a bad bottle who knows but I am not even trying the other bottles until a few months have passed. (1,863 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -5%

Pours a honey/golden color with minimal head. Light floral scent. A strong smack of hops. A powerful alcohol note with a light sweet aftertaste that touches the back of the throat. I can’t wait to try this beer in 5 years, I should have bought an extra bottle for every year (280 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -6.1%

Sampled on 7/08/07
Very amber hue to the beer in the tulip glass
Smells very spicy, Coriander?, Orange peel?, various citrus notes?
Taste is a bit spicy right now, but can't wait to try this one in the future once it calms down a bit. I think this beer has the potential to be a very complex one
mouthfeel is pretty good, about par for the course and very welcome.
This is hard to drink right now, well it is easy for me to drink, but I think once this beer reaches its potential in a couple years down the road, it will be great. (535 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +2.1%

A clear amber to copper colored ale with a good but not outlandish yellowish off-white head.

The scent is sweet herbal and earthy. Belgian candi sugar sweetness and a mild odor of coriander are the first things I can pick out. General herbal scent with an edge of cinnamon and licorice. There is a scent I can decide on, either mint or menthol, probably from hops.

The taste begins sweet and candish with a fairly strong coriander and black licorice flavor. Fairly strong apple aftertaste from the fist sip, it takes a minute to register on the tongue. This is also followed by a hay or grassy aftertaste that is quite long lasting. Fairly spicy in the mouth and the sweetness subsides rather quickly from sip to sip. An interesting effect how quickly this changes taste from the initial beer flavor and aftertaste, this is almost like two beers in one.

The mouthfeel is good.

A tasty and nice drinking Belgian style beer it will be interesting to see how this one ages. Personally this is one of the tastier Strong Pale Ales out there. Beers like this keep me wondering WHY doesn't Stone have at least two Belgian style ales as regular beers in its line up? (1,170 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -4.7%

This is my first bottle of the much hyped vertical Epic. This is the stuff people on eBay are paying crazy prices for, especially for older years. It poured an average appearance with not much of a head I'm used to expecting from Belgian Ales. It has a hazy gold color with just one spot of lacing present. It has a good mouthfeel that is very creamy and rolls off the tongue gently. It goes down real smooth and leaves a strong dry lingering bitter finish. The finish also hints with notes of a dry grapefruit and citrus taste. Full bodied with the standard Belgian yeast taste and aroma. A bit too much malt. There is no hop taste or nose noted. The bottle has a lot of yeast sediment on the bottom. Half way through it loses its carbonation and is going flat. You can definitely tell this wasn't brewed by any monks, and should be called Belgian "Style" Strong Ale. Strong ABV is well-hidden. If this is as good as an American Brewery is going to brew a Belgian Strong Ale then its great, but it’s not the best I’ve had. It is very drinkable and has a great mouth feel, but lacks in appearance and aroma. Stone has created this mythological brew with their Vertical Epic that doesn’t live up to their fabled description on its bottle. (1,240 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +10%

Opened on 7/7/07;
I don't usually open an epic till New Years eve but hey its Chistmas in July.

Thisone to me had Triple all over it. It poured a deep gold, almost copper like. The head was egg-wash white that was about an inch but maintained well. Carbonation was active, nice and busy. not much on the lace side of things.

The aroma pops at bottles open and that carbonation just treats the nose with the taste hints.

The taste is complex, very well done. Malts, hops that are well accented by citric grapefruits, lime and orange peel. Spice of ginger and pepper. I picked up hints of biscuit and more of sour dough. A mild hint of alcohol for toppers.

The mouthfeel is smooth, well aired. It dose leave a dry, wanting more feel. After awhile, it leaves a "dang, im thirsty feel".

Drinkability is very smooth and easy, for a complex brew.
For july, this went very well. And im sure it will bring in the new year great as well. (947 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +11.3%

It's 7/7/07 and I am excited. Poured into a snifter.

Beautiful deep golden color with pillowy white head.

Smells of green apple, lemon, some musty/earthy barn notes, a touch of vanilla.

Starts with some caramel and orange blossom honey and then works is way into brighter honeydew, lemon pulp and orange rind estery flavors. Finishes with spicy hops, earthy yeast flavor and some heat from the alcohol. Assertive bitterness.

Slight syrupy mouthfeel with some carbonation bite that cleanses the palate. Overall an excellent brew that should age gracefully. (570 characters)

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.