Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
3.58/5  rDev -5%

Pours a huge frothy head with a rich golden color.

Smell is sort of a hybrid as stated. Sort of Saison meets Strong Pale. I smell a lot of spices, however they are a little faint. I smell plum and a little orange with some coriander and I believe I smell a tiny bit of nutmeg. It comes together nicely, but is a little faint.

On first sip , I get the point of the beer. I sense the hybrid style attempt. I am a little disappointed as the beer is a little watery. The spiciness comes out but there is not enough initial sweetness from any sugar. It has a decent dryness, but it needs a little more richness. I don't think this one will age well. I think I may trade this one away instead of aging it. It seems like it would have been better fresh. Sorry to the powerball winners who didn't get one, I thought I'd want to age it.

This beer lacks crispness. It has a mild amount of crispness, but comes across a little watery.

I'm a little disappointed. This beer is only slightly above average. I expect more from stone. I am sorry to the beer powerball winners who wanted this beer, I really thought I wanted to age it. It's up for grabs now. I don't think it will age well. It's not even rought around the edges. It won't age well.

jasonjlewis, Jul 03, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

As the one-year mark approaches on the 07.07.07, I thought I'd open a bottle to see how this one is doing. This has been kept in a dark cellar closet since last summer. A puff of soft carbonation hisses from under the cap and into the La Chouffe tulip glass it goes.

A: Hazy orange-honey color, shows plenty of rising carbonation. With a brisk pour, cracking eggshell white head builds to just over a finger. A noisy crown of multi-sized bubbles knit loosely together, but fades away after just a couple minutes. No lace and, once the head disappears, looks a little lifeless after a while.

S: Big aroma of apples, green raisins and dried (berry) fruit wraps. Musty blend of yeast and 'Belgian' spiciness. Malty and sweet, balanced with citrusy hops.

T: More green apples, cinnamon/nutmeg spice with a burst of tangy-sweet tangerine citrus. Ripe berries, earthy yeast. Mushy pear and some booze, a little like brandy.

M: Satiny smooth thickness, sizable mouthfeel with a soft carbonation and some lasting coating. Though generally sweet and fruity, the finish does dry out (medicinal/chalky). Alcohol heat is now a pleasant 'warmth'; earlier tastes of this last summer were unpleasantly 'hot' for me. The mellowing over these months has improved the mouthfeel.

D: After my last (disappointing) try of this (August '07), I vowed to revisit at some point. Given time, this has improved in most aspects; many of my scores adjusted a .5 point upwards. I like the creativity of a Belgian Tripel/Saison hybrid and would say this leans toward the Tripel, both in terms of appearance/flavor and the elevated ABV. A good one to sip on, interesting enough to ruminate over. Glad I saved a few of these for later. Recommended.

Thanks, Metalmonk, for posting the review that 'reminded' me to give this another try...

msubulldog25, Jun 21, 2008
4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Even if you wanted to, you couldn't pour this without getting at least an inch-thick of fluffy whiteness. The head is very Belgian in that its made of a zillion impossibly small bubbles and stays put for the duration, coating the sides of the glass with each tilt and return. Color is rusty autumn orange.

Smell is exotic spices, ones I can't name, plus heavy ginger and anise, also a little bit of nutmeg. There's a good yeast presence, and the malts seem to have produced a predominantly sweet backbone.

Aromas detected come out assertively on the tongue, with a hint of cinnamon in there as well. Grapefruit adds a little twang/tang in the background. Basically you're getting a complex melange of exotic spice and fresh citrus fruit basket. A hint of yeast comes through, especially with warming, and the alcohol makes for even more boisterous behavior on the tongue. While it's incredibly complex, it somehow leans a little to one side, without having a strong malty base to add balance. Malts are like raw sugar-cookie dough, but could've been pushed up a little further. It certainly is delicious enough without having any major problems. I even dig the alcohol heat, seems to work for the flavors that are present. A blindfold taste-test would probably have most Belgian aficionados swearing this was from the Beer Paradise itself. Kudos.

The mouthfeel is outstanding, with a clean, buttery lightness, a great creamy roundness, and just a touch of carbonation which amplifies the spicier elements.

I love Saisons and I love Tripels...this is a hybrid of the two. And it's Stone. How could it fail? It's not your typical Stone ale, but what is a typical Stone ale but something atypical in the first place? This is worthy of the brewer's reputation, and a worthy addition to the "Vertical Epic" series. The only reason I wouldn't rate drinkability even higher is because all that citrus/spice just sticks with you and sticks with you, almost to the point of overload. Kudos again, Stoners...

Metalmonk, Jun 06, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

As a stone whore myself, i saw this in my local bottle shop and figured eh what the hell ill pick up a few. Im glad i did as a frequent ris and dipa drinker this was a nice lighter change without being flavorless. Nice fruity taste but not in an offensive way and its hard to pinpoint what it is. Not stones typical offering's but its a very good solid beer and im looking forward to trying the rest of the line.

jamesm7485, May 22, 2008

Picked it up because it looked interesting

A. translucent light gold. Light carbonation, very little head mostly on edge of my snifter, and lasted 1 minute.

S. Ginger, Citrus, maybe some cinnamon, not very distinctive.

T. If you like fruit + ginger you've found a beer. Sweet and tart, with little aftertaste.

M. Light... Tiny Bubbles

D. Not really my gig, but I think the wife will like it. Hides the 8.4% well. It's worth trying if you have access to it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless you LOVE ginger and/or citrus beers.

It's not bad, but it's also not Epic.

raiser, May 20, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Cracked out during 2007 to see what all the fuss was about.

A. Semi-clear light gold. Light carbonation, very few visible bubblies. Small head that hits the edges of the glass. Poor retention.

S. Ginger, sweet toasty malt. Citrus hops, floral. Appealing, but a little "flat".

T. Sweet and sugary with a ginger wallop and a tripel-like pepper flavor. A little toasted and caramel malt are a welcome addition here; the hops are citrus and a tad spicy. Finish is lightly tart with a lingering sweetness and spice and is very reserved.

M. Light, thin, lowly carbonated.

D. Decent, but nothing spectacular. Too thin and lacking in fizz for my tastes. Needs more of that elusive "oomph" -- especially if this is going to hold up another 5 years!

kkipple, May 17, 2008

From bomber to BMS mug...

3-finger, cream-colored head with chewy texture and pronounced pour seams bordering translucent natural honey-colored body. Natural carbonation is plentiful. Despite how enticing this may sound, the look of the entire package isn't awe-inspiring.

Beautiful Belgian aroma of banana ester, sweet ginger and malt-carbonation brings tingle to the nose. Vanilla and butterscotch complement the...ummm..."nasal viscosity" of the offering. With warmth, slight citrus and zest emerge along with subtle spices that are tough to place.

Sweet and silky texture of deep malt character a fair amount of banana with a modest alcohol burn; citrus and zest (with a little yeast) emerge has helped by the carbonation. Slight supple leather taste - tanginess and alcohol mix on back of palate. Stewed malt - maybe cherries - on the finish.

Even-keeled mouthfeel - relatively balanced and well-craften. Minute alcohol burn. Complex yet extremely subtle; even though I can read the ingredients on the label it's difficult to pick them out.

This is a well-made effort that could probably use some more time downstairs, and perhaps a little extra warmth in the mug. For now it's pleasant to sip pensively at night. I gotta admit, as a next-nigh worshipper to the gargoyle that encompasses Stone IPA, Ruination and the Bastard (single and Double), I would have expected a little more out of these guys. This is good, but borderline commercial. Let's get back on track, yeah?!

IBUnit63, May 02, 2008
2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured this one into a Unibroue tulip. It has a nice white head and the color is what I would imagine from a wit/trippel hybrid. The smell is expected from a wit with a little bit of punch. I realize this is 10 months old already but I just don't really like this taste. I think I'm tasting some ginger and it just really isn't pleasant to me. I also taste clove and spicy belgian yeast but the ginger taste is just ruining this for me. Overall this is my least favorite of all the Stone beers I have had.

thickerfreakness, May 02, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz bomber courtesy of krkearney. Thanks for your trading and attention to detail my bro!! Pours a hazy honey gold into my Chimay chalice. Light head with little retention and spotty lacing. Gentle carbonation. Not stunning but certainly pretty.

Smell is a blend of intricate aromas. Orange grapefruit , corrianderish cardamom, ginger, honey and malt. Hops and yeasty esters combine with the others to create a "come hither" nose.

Taste is sweet and spicy. The ginger is not shy at all and the strong malt construction has a tripleish but alcoholic tenor. Which is to say the booze is hidden, only showing itself at warmer temps. The hops have a Belgian treatment, delicate, complex, and delightful with a good drying in the finish. There is a wine like aspect that gives the beer a sophisticated sipping quality.

Mouthfeel is respectably weighty, as it is a beer to be aged but not so heavy as to keep it from a hot summer day. The gentle carbonation picks up in the mouth and scrubs the tongue and palate. Good stuff here.

Drinkability is better than the number suggests. A sipping beer that makes you want more than is prudent. You're not going to knock back a bunch of these without help, but if you have friends, and good food, and time... have a designated driver. Sneaky and sophisticated.

A great beer in it's early stages. I have a few of these now for my own 2012 Epic. Watch this space for an aging update in 2010.

scootny, May 01, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured the 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass (unfortunately no other glass available) and received a cloudy, orangish body with slight amber hues. A solid, two-finger head that stuck around for awhile and left good sheath lacings.
A good combo of cirtic and other fruit notes along with some spices. Picked up pear, apple, orange and banana, along with pepper and maybe clove. Not a strong hoppy or malt smell, but there was some sugar in it also. A definite fruit taste comes first, mostly orange and lemon (all the ones I listed above, for the record), and then some spices hit. But this beer also has a sweetness to it, like bubblegum, and is also balanced with caramel and/or honey to give some taste on the sides of the mouth. Has some nice hops in it to finish it out so it goes down even and not like a fruit/dessert beer. It's hard to pinpoint the mouthfeel, it is full-bodied, sweet, fruity, but also contains some spices and can be a little crisp. Bottom line, this is one of the most complex brews I've had in a long time - it is almost a combo of Belgian Ale and German Hefe, to bastardize it a tad. The price and high ABV restrict its sessionability, but this is a must have for anyone to try and a must cellar brew also.

clayrock81, Apr 29, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -5%

A: Hazy-bronze with floaties, white head, very little retention, light lacing.

S: Candied pineapple, gingerbread, spice & a slight fruity tartness.

T: Spicy gingerbread, tropical fruit, cloves, grain, light bitterness, slight tartness, light alcohol warmth.

M: Moderate body & carbonation with a dry finish.

D: Something to sip with dinner.

Derek, Apr 10, 2008
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Spicey yeast aroma is great. Cloudy yellow with substantial lace. Orange, pineapple, and malty, ginger, cloves,some citrus peel, and much sweet finish.Smooth drinking. Medium mouthfeel and suitable understated carbonation. Good Belgium strong and good break from so many other chocolate and coffee ales.

Sammy, Apr 09, 2008
4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

22 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tulip.

Slightly hazy, deep gold with bright copper hues. Densely, creamy white head that barely budges. Few trails of spotted lacing.

Sweet, malted wheat with Belgian-candied sugar. Cutting citrus: grapefruit, lemon. Hints of melon with a strong rum-like alcohol whaft. Light spices: clove and corriander.

Sweet candied sugar quickly overtaken by a burst of clean, refreshing citrus: orange, lemon, grapefruit, green apple. The sweet malt base provides an even creaminess amidst a brisk clove and pepper spice.

Almost full in body; a thick creaminess with just a bit of film from the ever-present yeast. A touch too active with the spice and carbonation.

A flavorful 'hybrid' of sorts that drinks more like a light Tripel with citrus highlights. A delicately crafted Belgian-style with some very traditional flavors.

NEhophead, Apr 08, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

A strong pour equals about two fingers of light tan head. The even fuzz settles to a half an inch with nice retention. Body is a golden amber straw colored hue. Nose has notes of cimmamon, sweet bread, ginger and raw wheat. A slew of spice rolls over the tongue with the first sip with waves of cimmanon, clove, strong ginger, yeast, and even peppery zest. The huge array of spices are almost numbing to the tongue. There is a soft sweetness lingering within all this spice somewhere. The bitter spice hue is all over this mouthfeel but is really to much for me. Drinkability is short lived due to the over abundence of spice. Of all the Stone success this is not one of them for me.

SPLITGRIN, Apr 01, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Purchased a couple months ago, and sampled on 03.28.08, so it's got a solid 6 months or so in the bottle. Overall- it's quite good, but I think it should get better with age, so I think I may keep my other bottle until sometime after 12.12.12 like they suggest.

Upon opening the bottle, the first thing I thought was "Unibroue." This isn't just because it's a belgian ale- it's more than that. The yeast characteristics in both the smell and taste seem to me to be very much akin to a unibroue beer. So I'm thinking it's the same yeast, and if not, it's a damn similiar one.

Color is deep and golden as promised with a huge saison-like head. Not much lacing to my surprise. Very effervescent with lots of floral and citrus notes. Very nice. The glacier and crystal hops do a fine job at bittering, but for now at least, the orange, grapefruit, and lemon peel are just a tad bit too much right now. It seems that I can taste all three, but perhaps I am imagining them to an extent. The mouthfeel will benefit from some more aging as well I think... all those peels just leave the mouth a bit puckered up. Nothing over the top, just a tad bit too much right now.

Overall this is already developing into a very very drinkable and excellent beer. The blending of the various spices I think is going to be outstanding a year or two out from now. Not bad at all right now, but I have high expectations for this down the road.

lpayette, Mar 29, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

capped 22 oz bottle bought at Somerviller Supersaver (2007)

*this review is from an older book of notes*

A- Hazy gold/orange color with an off white cappuccino head.

S- Spicy. Malty and a bit fruity. A bit of alcohol on the nose as well.

T- Cinnamon, raisons, apple, nutmeg, all spice, pepper, yeast, roasted malts, bittersweet hops, molasses, dates.

M- Almost grainy, but not thick.

R- Probably my least favorite beer from Stone yet. I wasnt crazy about it but my buddy loved it. To each his own i guess.

ATPete, Mar 28, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

My friend I was visiting was kind enough to open one of his stash when I was visiting in Salt Lake City. Very impressively complex. Raisnbread, citrus, spices on the nose. Appearance is light amber with nice head to start but fades quickly and no lacing. Taste is as complex as the nose. Very drinkable and tasty. Sweet a bit with the last bit leaving a bit of a citrus kick. Am curious to see what it will be like when it reaches it's supposed maturity in 2012.

Rippeddisc, Mar 15, 2008
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

A- Deep and golden. Totally transparent. Head is quite thin in my snifter.

S- Very saison-like with Belgian candi sugar aromas. Fruity and citrusy too. Apples, corriander (maybe) w ith a peppery smell along with orange peel.

T- Definitely candi sugar and very rich. Complexity comes around too with some apples, pears, oranges, and light alcohol. This beer is very much like a saison to me and I dig the Stone description of it.

M- Thin and medium carbonation.

D- Very drinkable, but somewhat sweet and rich.

MMAJYK, Mar 11, 2008
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Poured from bomber into Duvel Tulip glass. Had before when first released, but never reviewed. Hoping things might have settled down a bit.

Looks-Pours with about 1 finger head that doesn't hang around. A little darker and orange than I expected. No lacing.

Emanation-Sour apples and plums with belgian esters around. Alcohol is also present, like most Stone's brews. Spicy.

Taste- Apples, plums, and alcohol with hints of spices(possibly corriander). There is so much going on in ths brew that each sip changes. The alcohol is very prevelant, again a Stone's staple.

Ralph Mouth- Numbing. Good carbonation.

Drink Me- This is a hot brew, hotter than it really is if that makes any sense. I'll probably finish the bomber, but probably shouldn't being so big with a few before hand. An OK brew, but expected something else.

Cheers,
shertz

shertz, Mar 08, 2008
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

Cloudy orange color . Nice white head that fades fast. No lacing.
Nice Belgian smell. Yeasts, astringency, spiciness.

Taste is good. A great, heavy duty astringent Belgian beer. Spicy, alcohol masked well. Very tasty. There is a pear like and perfumy aftertaste that could probably get annoying after a while, but fine for the first bottle!!!!

Mouthfeel is rich and luxurious. Drinkability is good for the abv, maybe downgrade it a bit for perfuminess.

All in all a really good representation of this style!!

JayQue, Mar 05, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

My first in the "Epic" series. Pours somewhat hazy orange. Head was not too impressive nor was the retention, no lacing. Smell is dead-on for what a Belgian should smell like. Apple, pear, bread, yeast, and a touch of citrus (Stones signature I think). Smell is great. Taste is very good as well thoough I should note I'm partial to Belgians. Sweetness hits you up front then you notice fruity characteristics on the sides of your tounge followed by a warm, slightly bitter sensation on the back of your tounge. Carbonation is moderate and mouthfeel is medium, not too thick or thin. Overall a great beer, alcohol content is well masked and a great Belgian from the boys in Escondido.

bunnyhustle, Mar 03, 2008
2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

Appearance:
Poured into a belgian tulip, a medium 1" head that rapidly fades. Steady carbonation of small bubbles that dissipate into a medium sized head bubble. Medium Gold in color, medium clarity with a slight haze. Lack of brussels lace.
Aroma:
Complex, lots of ginger and orange peel. Definitely spicy, somewhat perfumy. Overbearing peppery and alcohol flavor.
Flavor:
Way too much clashing here. Perhaps better with age, like in 2012. I found the spiciness and cardamon aftertaste too much to overcome. Mild malt, and low hopping, especially for a Stone. Very low bitterness, very low astringency, not proper level of effervescence for the style.
Mouthfeel:
Just interesting enough to make me want to drink another in 5 years. Candi sugar is obvious on the finish.

Far better on tap.

drewmprs, Feb 28, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Golden color with a tint of red. Fine bubbled head that drops to a thin lacing cap. Smell is spicey and drifts slightly to a alcohol note as it warms. This isn't necessary bad, but there is no hiding that this one has some kick to it. Taste somehow comes accross as somewhat bland, some spice, sugar sweetness, with an alcohol finish. Medium bodied mouthfeel. Not an overly drinkable beer. I bought a case of these when it first came out and i still have 9 left. It's mellowed somewhat over time but I'm hoping a little more aging improves this one some more. I'm a huge fan of Stone but this one has to be my least favorite of their offerings to date.

beermanbrian, Feb 27, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

Poured from a 1pt 6oz bottle into a Trois Pistoles chalice. A golden color with a brownish hugh - darker than most belgian pales. My first pour yielded a very thin head and translucent liquid. I let the last 10oz sit for 1.5 hours and warm, which produced a much thicker, creamier head and the yeast sediment gave it a much more opaque Trappist-like feel. The second pour yielded some nice sticky lace down the sides of the glass.

Very spicey complex smell. Citrus rind, coriander, yeast, sweet biscuity malts, juicy fruit. Taste was similar. A very full tripel. Bold citrus flavor - more aggresive than most Belgian pales. A very bitter hops aftertaste - a nice touch.

Mouthfeel is moderate. Carbonation is very fine, champagne-like - good for the style. Pretty good drinkability.

I have real passion for Belgian ales and this is no exception. A very adequate, big, bold beer. Thanks to Stone for this one - alot of fun. I bought a few of these - will be interesting to see if they mellow a little bit with age. It will be fun to try these in 2012.

elmore, Feb 27, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

1 Pint, 6 fl oz bottle copped from Super Saver in Somerville for $7.99...
Bright orange, tangerine hue with noticeable foamy head that soon receded, leaving lots of lacing around the top of the glass...
Great smell of fresh fruit, nectarines, pears, apple, honey, clovers, and grapefruit...
A very sweet-aroma bursting with freshness and character...
Equally great taste that strongly complements the aroma, with sweet, sugar-laden flavors dancing around the tongue...
Great thick, rich, creamy mouthfeel...
Perilously drinkable with the hefty 8.4% ABV struggling to be noticed behind ultra-rich and sweet, unique flavors and well-balanced with fruity caramel malts and citrus hops...
This is very different from the usual Stone brews that I've encountered...
With Stone, I'm used to sampling very aggressive and in-your-face beers, while this one, although full of plenty of flavor, was more subtle and easy-going...
Very good depiction of the style... Highly recommended...

dsa7783, Feb 24, 2008
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.