Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours with a small head, minimal retention some lacing. Has a clear golden color ( becomes hazy once the sediment is added).

Smells of spices, sweet malt, fruits and some of that horse barn(yeast?) smell that I love so much in Orval.

Tastes of fruits, malty, some funkiness and spices. I think a little bit of aging will do this beer justice.

irishkyle21, Dec 03, 2007
2.6/5  rDev -31%

Please note that this review is relative to the STYLE - which is chock full of great beers.

A: Slightly opaque, dark orange. Good initial head, but dissapated quickly without retention.

S: Pretty harsh alcohol smell greeted me. Some deep, ripe fruits with a hint of yeast helped to salvage the smell and make it interesting.

T: Fig or Raisin, deep malt, alcohol.

M: Warm alcohol - almost reminded me of a cordial. Rich and deep on the palate, with a slight tang at the end.

D: Not that enjoyable - too heavy for the style.

I'm generally a HUGE supporter of Stone, but was not a fan of this one. Bummer. **I have one remaining - if anyone thinks I should cellar #2 for a year, let me know**

BeerImmediately, Dec 02, 2007
1.98/5  rDev -47.5%

I must preface this review by saying that Stone is probably my favourite brewery. The Ruination and Bastards are extremely well made beers; beers that I've converted BPR drinkers with. So, I expected allot from the Vertical Epic.

I poured it from a 1pt 6ox bottle into this nifty Samuel Smith pint glass (try to find one, they're nice). The colour was nice, looked on par for the style.

The smell was kind of, well, blah. There was spice, and alcohol. I couldn't make much out of it.

The taste and mouth feel were awkward. It felt thin, and hot. The alcohol was very forward, as were the spices. It also had an over "sour" taste, like it had been chilled, warmed, and then chilled again. It wasn't the clean taste I'd come to expect from Stone.

Maybe I just got a bad batch, but I expected much more.

nephlim, Dec 01, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

This beer poured a slightly cloudy golden blond into a tulip glass. The head was white and fizzy, but fleeting. Aroma was somewhat fruity, with hints of spice and earth.

I enjoyed the infusion of sweet fruits with the Belgian spices, it gave the brew a bit more depth and personality. Spicy up front, along with sweet malt and a subtle dry finish. Slight hints of alcohol. This is a perfectly delightful beer from Stone. Overall they did a nice job with this one.

BBM, Nov 30, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

22oz Bomber Poured into my Piraat glass.

A:Hazy orange color with MINIMAL head. Quickly retreated to the edge of the glass. Color is really nice.

S: Nice spicy yeast smell in line with the style. Some citrus as well

T: Sweetness up front with some honey and malt. Then it goes into a really dry wheat tone. Nice and spicy after that fading into a an almost musty aftertaste.

M: Thin body with a nice creamy feel. A little under carbonated.

D: While not killing you with the ABV this is still one to be respected. Very drinkable though. Definitely looking forward to the ones I have in the cellar. I think this one might get better.

aerozeppl, Nov 28, 2007
3.13/5  rDev -17%

A - this installment of the vertical epic series pours a light orange/brownish color with a thin cream colored head with plenty of carbonation to keep it alive

S - saison style spices and citrus peel dominate the nose with a yeasty background, the bottle says its a blend of a saison and a belgian, so far so good

T - more bitter and dry than i expected, almost a champagne like flavor like grapeskins, citrus is present but again more of a bitter citrus like the peels again, some cloying background spices especially cloves

M&D - dry mouthfeel, again like that of champagne, but not hard to drink, perhaps this could use to age more as is suggested

sinstaineddemon, Nov 27, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Sadly I missed the 02-02-02 through 06-06-06 but maybe they'll turn up somewhere.

A: A nice hazy honey color. Not much head, but some small bubbles going up the side of the glass.

S: Smells smooth and sweet with plenty of spices. Pepper, ginger and others.

T: The first taste is very sublte honey sweetness but quickly followed by a blast of spices. Pepper, citrus, ginger, and plenty of other stuff I can't even beging to identify.

MF: This really captures the Belgian mouthfeel well-light but very sharp. Spicy/peppery alcohol which combined with the carbonation makes this a biting beer.

D: I like this, but I think Stone took it a bit too far. The flavor is a bit too much for the style. The mouthfeel is the thing that really gets me, it's just a bit too sharp, almost hard to drink. Not bad, but I think others do this style better.

rxdrewthejew, Nov 26, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +15.4%

Sampled from a 22oz bomber. The painted label gives an in-depth description of the ingredients. Oddly, no stream-of-consciousness ramblings from Greg on this one.

This VE is a striking, rich, golden-hued bier. There's some fine particulate suspended within, watching the steady stream of carbo shoot topside. Head was initially a good 1.5", then ebbed back to about 1/4". It is off-white and quite creamy, almost mousse-like, and leaves top-shelf lacework behind. Aroma has a lot going on. There's some candy-ish action; some spiciness; a bit of light fruit, like orange peel; and mild ginger. Interesting. Medium bodied, though a bit airy and bubbly on the tongue. Still, a decent mouthfeel.

As with the nose, the flavor is an interesting melange of different offerings. It has a little light, crackery malt sweetness to start. Ginger is more noticeable here than in the aroma. Very Tripel-ish, with some tropical fruitage and spicy action holding court. Quite dry overall, and 7-7-7 possesses a subtle saison-ish earthiness. Hopping is lightly present in the background, appropriate for the style. The more I drink, the more apparent the ginger and the rindy character from the peels become. I feel a distinct warming in the belly, the 8.40% abv doing its work (well, I might add!). There is a considerable amount of yeasty residue in the bottom of the bottle; a hard swirl and addition to the goblet gives the bier a foggy, orange glow (as well as a bit more of a spicy bite).

All-in-all, I like this one. If it were a regular, year-round bier, it might be my go-to Tripel. Zum Wohl!!

overall: 4.35
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4 | drinkability: 4.5

Bierman9, Nov 24, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

A - A light haze to a honey colored brew. A large bubbly head with a bit of lingering lacing.

S - Honey, pineapple, papaya, coriander, hints of banana and a touch of horse blanket. In generally, it has a malty essence about it.

T - Initial hit is of a honey sweetness, then there comes a vague fruitiness and a more dominant musty hay flavor with some coriander. The flavor is very nice and well balanced. The aftertaste is a bit less pleasant, simply a lingering mustiness with some boiled bland bitter vegetables, though there is still a shadow of honey in the taste.

M - Thin, smooth, very refreshing. A touch warming too.

D - Pretty good, this is definitely worth a try. I have a generally negative view of Stone because the first few of their beers I had sampled were, IMO, overrated. But this, along with some other recent samplings (barring the RIS - which was nothing short of disappointing), continues to convince me that they are actually the brewery that their reputation makes them out to be.

mrasskicktastic, Nov 23, 2007
3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

pours a deep bronze in color with a good amount of head, leaving above average lacing. The smell is strong with spice and belgian yeast, also a good hint of alcohol. he flavor is complex with a light malt backbone loaded with spices and hints of yeast, alcohol is apparent and warming, still pretty green. This is a sipper, but enjoyable, and will certainly mellow out and age well.

dickieb, Nov 22, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

A- pours a deep amber, brilliant orange color, with a 2 finger head. Great retention, heavy lace, and small bubbles continue to rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- Complex, very interesting nose, filled with caramel malts, big spice and herbal component. Citrus hops, backed by ginger spice make a great combo. Honey shows up towards the back as well.... nice

F- Big time spice and herb flavors. Cardamom and citrus seem to dominate the flavor, but thyme and basil seem to be in there too. Beautiful spicy yeast strain, with lots of phenols. Ginger hits on the finish, along with a touch of honey sweetness. Fantastic.

M- creamy, oily, and thick.

D- quite good, but a slight alcohol burn after a few sips.

Overall, a great beer. Like many of the other vertical epics, I can't really see this lasting another 5 and a half years. We'll just have to see how the spice holds up. I guess we'll see in the future. Either way, pick one up if you can still find some.

phisig137, Nov 17, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

To start this is one of the first beers ive been able to try that was above 6% alcohol other than stones arrogant bastard ale which i was not able to fully enjoy because i had already had too much to drink that particular night...anyways this beer is a slightly hazy orange. sort of fruity tasting but for the high alcohol content its well masked and very very smooth.. this is my first beer review as well and this is a very complex beer to try and explain for my first try but i definately recommend it if you come across a bottle!

calebmills, Nov 10, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from the bottle into a globe shaped glass. Appeared a deep amber/red color, with off white, kaki colored fluffy head. Aroma was a sweet, spicy smell, a little fruit. The taste was much the same, a little spicy, citrus with a slightly bitter, but pleasant hop note, and lighter carbonation then I am accustomed too. Mouthfeel was thick but very smooth, a very drinkable, enjoyable beer. Not sure I would call this beer Epic, but it certianly is very good.

buffettfan, Nov 10, 2007
3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Purchased in Buffalo, always enjoy these vertical epics.

Pours a slightly hazy orange/amber, medium sized off white head forms, settles to a thin layer, nice sticky lace. Smell is sweet/sour, caramel, some citrus, yeasty, oranges, buttered bread, some spices in the finish, pretty interesting. Taste is similar, sweet/sour feel up front, fruity, caramel/butter, spices and yeast, oranges, sweet finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. My least favourite of the Vertical Epics, but we'll see how it ages.

Viggo, Nov 08, 2007
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

A clear light orange colored beer, Inch and a half foamy white colored head faded over about two minutes. Carbonation in very average streams. Watery sheet of lace.

Apple and plum fruit aromas abound. Malt is faint behind the fruitiness, but has a yeasty scent attached to it. A strong alcohol profile pops strongly on the nostrils.

Apple presence transfers nicely from the scent to the taste, but leaves the plums behind. A spiced, mostly pepper, flavor also is quite pronounced. Warming alcohol taste.

Nice thickness on the tongue. A carbonation effect slightly above normal, but not unpleasant.

A very decent choice. Nice beer to pair with seafood pasta dish. Cheers to Stone for another winner in the series. A beer almost everyone can find enjoyable.

RedChrome, Nov 07, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured this beer into a Tulip at about 50-55 degrees.

Pours an amber color with about 1 inch of head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Nose reminds me of candy apples.

Taste: Hebal, orangeskin fruitiness with a malty undertone. I sense a drying finish.

Overall this is a decent beer and a nice take on a classic Belgian style. I am interested to see how this one ages and looking forward to another review in 5 years.

dough, Nov 07, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Darker amber color with a yellowish head. Head was nice and thick, lasted entire beer and had a good amount of lacing.

Smell: Spicy malt smell with hints of fruit and sweetness.

Taste: A sweet malt flavor with hints of spice, maybe hints of cinnamon or other sweet type spices. Flavors did not seem to be totally blended yet, slightly green. Sweet after taste.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick and CO2 was just slightly weak.

A very interesting beer from Stone and I thought it was better than the 06.06.06. Can't wait to try it again in a few years.

BradBLR, Nov 06, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked up three bombers back at the end of June for $5.79 each.

Beer poured a reddish orange with a minimal white head. Nose is very pleasant, quite fruity with spices, and some belgian yeast hints. Taste is unique, it truly blends the dry qualities of a Saison with the spicy and slightly peppery qualities of a Trippel. Mouthfeel is good, somewhat spicy and peppery with a medium body. Drinkability is good. This brew has improved since the first one i tried. It is definitely more smooth this time around. I'll save the third bottle for next summer.

arizcards, Nov 04, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

My first Vertical Epic. I only bought one bottle, but after tasting this, I may need to get more. Pours a rich amber to orange with a quickly dissipating head that leaves little lacing. The smell is different - there is a cooling, minty component coupled with banana and ginger. Spicy yet soothing. The taste is spicy and sweet up front with a citrus like bitter finish. Mouthfeel is ideal for this - moderately carbonated with an almost syrupy texture. This is an awesome take on the Belgian style - easy to drink and very complex. Delicious! Highly recommended.

montageman, Nov 03, 2007
4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

The Vertical Epic pours a light orangish amber color with a nice foam head that dissipates quickly. If you hold it up to the light it is very cool as it has thousands of particles suspending in air or liquid.

The smell is of of oranges and the usually Belgium aroma. Not knowing it is a Belgian beer when I bought it pouring release the familiar aroma.

The taste was of a strong ales with a nice spicy finish. It was chewy in the mouth and hid the alcohol well. I would definitely recommend this even to the non-Belgian lover.

cswhitehorse, Nov 02, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

bomber in tulip glass

A: Dark gold color with a thin white head, crystal clear.
S: Spicy with a rich malt smell.
T&M: The belgian spiciness definitely comes through. I can't figure out if it is a yeast spiciness or actual spices like coriander. Highly carbed and rich, must have a ton of malt. Virtually no hint of hops.
D: This is an interesting take on the "style" but I can't figure it out. In the end, I think I prefer a more traditional belgian. Recommended if the price is right or someone else is buying. I would be curious to see how this ages but I don't think I will buy another just to cellar it.

wspscott, Nov 02, 2007
3.43/5  rDev -9%

Pours golden amber with a white creamy head that thins, but stays through the duration.

The smell is spicy - ginger coriander, etc. (as listed). Some sweet caramel backs it up.

Nice aroma, but the taste is too spicy - almost like a pumpkin ale meets a Belgian. (In the sense of having an abundance of spices). The spiciness stays ahead of the candi sugar sweetness and caramelish (slightly grassy? - maybe a hint) backing. Perfumy - rendering an endearing aroma, but not quite so endearing flavor. Still - it has enough complexities and support to keep it far from unpleasant. It has a spicy, warming finish.

The feel is effercescent with a lingering spiciness clinging to the palate.

Interesting, but I do recall last year's being better and I do expect better from this great brewery, which does a fine job at making intense beers palatable - this one is over-spiced.

jwc215, Oct 27, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm WEAK.... I know... I originally intended to cellar this for 5 years and taste it just as the label advises.... drink this in sequence with the other Vertical Epic selections from Stone on or about 12/12/2012.

But alas.... I'M WEAK.... Every time I would open my beer fridge, it would smile back at me, knowing that I wouldn't last the 5 plus years. So today, I caved.

I poured this into an oversized wine glass to produce a 1/2" head of off-white foam. This quickly disappeared to a thin cap leaving no lacing. The color is quite interesting.... almost a peachy orange with rose highlights. Just a little cloudy.

The smell reminded me of the few Belgians, I've had.... sweet malty with fruity/yeasty undertones.

The taste: Wow! Rather complex.... let's see if I can break this down.... initially, the typical Belgian tastes appear... like sweet malt, and fruity (plums and peaches) tastes prevail. Then, right at the finish, there's a little BITE....citrus fruit peel (orange and lemon).

Mouthfeel: Quite fizzy, like most Belgians... only maybe a bit less-so (which is good in my opinion). Good aftertaste, and mouthcoating.

Drinkability: Well, I've finished the only bomber I had.... I wonder if I'll try to score the other Vertical Epic series beers (and try them as recommended on or about 12/12/2012)? I've never considered patience as a strong suit for me.... I doubt that I could buy a beer and let it sit for 5 years.... but, we'll see.... people change... beers change...

TheBierBand, Oct 23, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

The nicely roasted toffee malt palate features a rich clovey herbal character that is accompanied by a clean, spicy ginger note and some definite coriander. Firm toastiness in the finish.

Nice, especially if you’re in to spice-laden Belgians. But, I wonder if several years of aging will do that much good for this one?

Recommended…

arguemaniac, Oct 22, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Deep golden color with red/orange/yellow highlights. Average white head after a semi-vigorous pour.

S: Heavy malt, hops, spice (ginger among others) with subtle hints of citrus fruit.

T: Heavy malt and spice dominate the taste with the hops (Glacier and Crystal) and citrus fruit to add a very nice balance. Unique. The alcohol is melded perfectly.

M: Wet, medium-bodied that holds its balance throughout. Carbonation is high but seems fitting for the beer.

D: Considering the alcohol content, this is a very drinkable beer. The style makes it so it's not a session beer but still enjoyable none the less.

NOTE: After finishing this beer I have edited my drinkability score from a 2.5 to 4! One of the previous reviewers was correct in that this is not a beer to rate by sampling. It gets better and better. Impressive.

Mryup, Oct 21, 2007
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.