2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 535 | Reviews: 378 | Show All Ratings:
changeup45

2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

I was happy to find this one on a road trip but it ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Pours a clear, bright orange color with a thin white head. Aroma is a bit stingy with oranges, perfume and an assortment of spices. The mouthfeel on this is very tart, tangy and slightly dry. The strongest flavors are oranges and coriander, with lots of spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg), some lemon, and light fragrant hopping thrown in there. Interesting but the flavors just don't work for me. Halfway through the bomber I was sick of it. Not an awful beer but it is the worst Stone product I have had so far. Maybe I should have waited until "sometime after December 12th, 2012."

08-30-2008 02:06:03 | More by changeup45
DefenCorps

Oregon

2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

Bottle that I bought at Norm's in Vienna right around the time this beer was released. Back in the day, there used to be a 2-bottle limit on this stuff. Wow.

The first pour is clear copper/amber with a dense, off-white head that falls off to a thin disk leaving some lacing. This does look nice. The nose, however, is worse for the wear (I think). Honey, some oxidized/stale sugary malt character, potent spice character, surprisingly so for the age of this beer, are present. Green cardamom, allspice and mace are most noticeable, as is some crystallized ginger. A little bubblegum as well. Decent.

The palate opens moderately sweet and with quite a bit of ginger. This is more of a Belgian braggot than a cross between a saison and a tripel IMO. Sweet, candied ginger, cardamom, sugar, syrup and honey are all present. Medicinal, I can't say I get much yeast character, at least from this clean pour. Alcohol appears on the finish, adding some burn. Medium-light in body, this beer is highly carbonated and this lends a scrubbing, carbonic acid character to the finish. Despite its heavy-handedness and lack of subtlety, this beer is moderately enjoyable, more so than my notes would lead you believe.

01-07-2013 05:41:46 | More by DefenCorps
Zraly

2.94/5  rDev -22%

Head on this golden ale disappears almost instantly. Given its age, I am not too surprised. I tried to pour gently but still managed to land some of the yeast beasts into our Teku glasses.

Syrup, honey and white grape notes predominate. A bit of ginger and citrus pith. A bit of creaminess but maintains dryness in the finish. Carbonation is crisp and tight; it feels really good on the palate. I wish a bit more fruit character would come out and play with the delightful carbonation. Medium to medium-full body.

Overall this is an interesting beer that I held onto for almost six years. I'm guess a year younger might have actually been its prime time as there is a hint of oxidization. This maybe would have been best for a 08.08.08 or 09.09.09 release? Some of the fruit and spice notes have been mellowed out too much in the aging process without much else to give way.

07-09-2013 01:01:54 | More by Zraly
gregshead

2.95/5  rDev -21.8%

Enjoyed on 8/27/11. Thanks to SDsurfer217 for this beer from his cellar.

Lots of hiss comes out of this one despite it being released 3_ years ago. Impressive

A: Pours an orange color w/ 3 fingers of head. Very foamy, big bubbles dissipate slowly.

S: Apple spice smell. Ciderish smell. Pretty simple

T: Spices and apple. A liff bit of boozy/heat taste in there as well

M: Tons of carb. Little bit of heat/burn feel

O: A spiced apple beer. Very blah. Not horrible just really plain.

09-04-2011 07:14:36 | More by gregshead
Mebuzzard

Colorado

2.98/5  rDev -21%

Golden and slight hazed body topped by a puffed up head. Nice billowing and some chunks formed in the center. Calmed down to a mild head...a bit slick looking.
Smell is a bit weak. Belgian yeast, corriander, some biscuit. Not very strong, but not bad.
Taste has hints of the Belgian yeast characteristics, slight spice and little buttery. Feels like a carbonated wit beer, I don't like it. Too tingly for me. Drinks fairly well. I'll get some more a plunk 'em down in storage.

06-28-2007 18:44:49 | More by Mebuzzard
CortexBomb

2.98/5  rDev -21%

Pour: dirty orange with a modest white head on top. The smell is heavy on the spice; ginger, coriander...definitely reminds me of a saison in certain ways as well.

Flavour, very sweet and spicy up front...the ginger and coriander from the nose is prominent, but it is complimented by a sweet maltiness, almost bordering on sugary. Light citrus is also present, not in a hoppy way though, just a touch of zing. A bit of banana as well. This becomes increasingly abrasive as it warms though, and the spices become absolutely overwhelming near room temperature. The score I'm giving it here is an average of the good score that it had when it was still cold, and the bad score that it had once it was warmer.

Mouthfeel, full but not over the top, plenty of carbonation, some tongue bitter. Drinkability, about as good as you could expect for such an intense spice flavour, which is to say, not that good. I would expect this to improve as it ages.

The bottom line: if you like highly spiced, Saison/Belgian Pale style ales, then this is worth checking out. I think age will improve the spice depth here and allow the individual flavours to come out more, but for the present, this beer is strongly on the abrasive side, particularly once it warms, and I would recommend letting it age for a bit (a year or two?) before cracking the bottle.

09-30-2007 03:06:07 | More by CortexBomb
ShanePB

Bottle poured at Canal St Brewphoria 9. Served into a 5 ounce sampler.

A: Hazy and cloudy golden orange with a nice sized fluffy, rocky white head. Touches of lacing are left on the glass, and the dissipation although rapid, leaves a moderate cap behind.

S: Peppermint, clove, ginger, cinnamon and very floral aromas. There's really no hop bitterness, the floral component is more pollen-like and peppery in a way. There's a lot going on here, a bit chaotic at times but it certainly will be an interesting beer to try.

T: Whoa, lots of sweet and sugary ginger and peppermint flavors up front. The palate is dominated by these, helped only by some yeast esters and Belgian spice mid-palate. The finish is sweet, cloying and sticky. Eh, this is okay, doesn't show any signs of oxidation but I couldn't drink more than a sample of this. Just a bit over the top with some really weird flavors.

M: Creamy, medium-bodied with light touches of bubbles on the tongue. Again, somewhat sticky in the finish but not a bad feel by any means.

It wasn't necessarily a gross beer but it's nothing I'd want again nor more than a few ounces of. The flavor profile went on a tangent and never came back. Sweet, gingery and minty, kind of odd but I'm glad I was able to sample this one.

11-13-2011 17:00:12 | More by ShanePB
srandycarter

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%

A - Pretty copper, somewhat murky, tonds of thick near white head. Lots of cling lace.

S - Spicy. Belgian yeast and spice are about all I get.

T - Like when you use too much salt, there is no way home. Too much spice in this beer. Overpowering.

M - See taste, balance can't be achieved for me on this one.

D - See Taste and Mouthfeel, and obviously, not sessionable for me.

09-06-2010 03:16:03 | More by srandycarter
charlzm

3.03/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Consumed on January 20th, 2013 at a private Vertical Epic tasting.

Beer pours a cloudy, medium golden-yellow. No head or carbonation evident in glass.

Aroma is sweet grapefruit.

Flavor is a bit sweet and cidery with bitter citrus peel and a slightly powdery, sightly floral yeast note.

Mouthfeel is a little thick and could use some carbonation.

Overall, this was one of the more drinkable VE beers we shared.

01-21-2013 19:30:56 | More by charlzm
jakon

Oregon

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

22oz bottle purchased for 5.99 at Cedar Hills New Seasons. I got one bottle to drink now, and one to lay down for 5 and a half years.

Pours golden amber with a mediocre white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is yeasty and sweet. I can't pick up the citrus, but there are some spices working together to form a smell that doesn't really have me excited. The taste is a bit better, but there is something I'm not liking here. I'm not really getting the ginger or citrus. Mostly coriander, sweet malts, and hot alcohol. I'll do a more in-depth review when I drink this on it's intended date. I'm assuming it will be much better.

06-27-2007 23:37:33 | More by jakon
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

Pours a clear orange amber with a slight head. Some lacing and a gentle swirl brings this back up. Smells fruity, yeasty, and a bit...off. Taste is more sweetness, big alcohol punch and something a bit...off. Can't put my finger on it. Just a predominant taste to the beer that I cannot identify but I know I don't like. Some spice or other. And, bubblegum. Pink bubblegum. I hate it and its in there. Not as bad a La Fine Du Monde, but there all the same. Is that a characteristic of Belgian Strong Ales?

Drinks high on the tongue. Alcohol is not very well hidden either. This is a real sipper for me, and not one I will be coming back to either. It may just be that the style does not agree with me.

08-18-2007 19:35:55 | More by Onibubba
edskirk3

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

My first taste of the Vertical Epic series. I actually had a sample of it at Belgium Comes To Cooperstown before buying this 22oz bomber last week.

The fine print on the bottle suggests I should age this until 2012. I seriously lack that kind of patience so I'm opening it now at an age of 3 weeks.

Vessel of choice: Orval goblet.

Pours hazy orange-gold. Not much head to speak of, except after the pour itself. The head sticks to the side of the glass in a thin ring when all is said and done. Slight viscosity. There's an earthy/musty aroma wafting from the glass. Saison yeast? I've used it in homebrewing and it smells very similar. Also present is orange peel (coriander).

And now to taste. First impression is sourdough bread. Very yeasty. There is then some slight tartness of citrus laced with faint spiciness from either ginger, cardamom or even peppercorn. Doughiness and spice linger a while on the tongue. Warming from alcohol is barely noticeable. Very oily mouthfeel.

This is indeed a young beer which cellaring could only help. Honestly, I think it tastes good as is but the oily mouthfeel is kind of a turn-off. I imagine the flavor profile coming together a lot better with some time on the shelf.

08-01-2007 01:47:24 | More by edskirk3
bruachan

District of Columbia

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

an effervescent golden amber keeps a thick head afloat. as the foam subsides it applies some good lacing to the glass. the suds are pure white

the aroma is simple. that's not necessarily bad. soft hops allow a glint of sweetness to shine through. some heat

the flavor is a little unmotivating, however. reminds me of mad elf. forced, artificially spiced to emulate a belgian yeast. it's not bad; a little sweet, though

in the end not very endearing. i hope the money i'm paying to refrigerate another bottle of this is worth the final result

09-03-2007 05:31:42 | More by bruachan
sweemzander

3.08/5  rDev -18.3%

22oz. bottle poured into a taster glass. Thanks to Chris for sharing!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange color with plenty of sediment floaters. Some white froth formed but dissipated quickly.

(S)- A zesty spice up front. The coriander and cardamon are obvious with bits of a grassy lemon and orange zest.

(T)- A zesty spicy orange and a clove/ginger kick. A yeasty profile overall just with an extra citrus and spice punch to it.

(M)- The carbonation level has held up nicely with still a crispness to it. The spices definitely liven things up. Does get a touch bitter for me as it warmed.

(O)- I like the play of spicy esters with the citrus. Perhaps the better of the "lighter" vertical epics at this point, but debatable.

03-12-2013 16:09:48 | More by sweemzander
gmcfarre

Colorado

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

22 oz bomber poured into snifter
Decanted at approx. 52 degrees

A - Pours a clear copper color with an admirable 3/4 inch off white head. Lacing is moderate, but pretty much only when tipped.

S - Clearly the brewers were not lying when they listed the spices on the label - ginger and cardamom are strongly apparent here, with the three peels (grapefruit, lemon and orange) forming a blend of citrus zest. Ginger is the strongest scent here, which is unfortunate for me because its one of the few flavors I don't enjoy.

T - Really similar to the scent. Ginger and cardamom out front with a bit of citrus. Slight malt sweetness and not much hop activity to detect. It's almost like the spices and citrus combine to give this a slight pumpkin flavor, resulting in something very interesting but not great.

M - Smooth with low carbonation and a light/medium body. Finish is chewy and slightly sticky with little dryness.

D - Not my favorite stone brew right now, but I have couple that will be aging for a couple of years (till 2012?!) so we'll see what happens. Hopefully the spices will calm down and let the malt and hops shine through.

10-04-2007 02:04:01 | More by gmcfarre
SMADMS

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

poured from a 22oz bottle

no chance this is waiting til 12/12/2012 as botle recommends

A-- very nice apricot color with fine bubbly 2 finger head
S-- wonderful fruity tones, flowers, slight spice
T-- follows the nose, fruit (pears) and the spice are there but the zest and peels are lost in the body. nice earthiness
M-- wonderfully clean and light
D-- very nice BSA well balanced flavors (lots of them)

this is my first of the veticals but with only 11 days to go looking forwards to 08/08/08

07-28-2008 13:34:39 | More by SMADMS
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

3.13/5  rDev -17%

A - this installment of the vertical epic series pours a light orange/brownish color with a thin cream colored head with plenty of carbonation to keep it alive

S - saison style spices and citrus peel dominate the nose with a yeasty background, the bottle says its a blend of a saison and a belgian, so far so good

T - more bitter and dry than i expected, almost a champagne like flavor like grapeskins, citrus is present but again more of a bitter citrus like the peels again, some cloying background spices especially cloves

M&D - dry mouthfeel, again like that of champagne, but not hard to drink, perhaps this could use to age more as is suggested

11-27-2007 16:59:03 | More by sinstaineddemon
warmstorage

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

22 ounce bomber, purchased 7/5/07 at Metropolitan Market in West Seattle for $5.99. Poured into goblet at cool cellar temp (probably ~50*F.)

Visual: bright, clear, deep orange. Creamy dense white head, light, dense lace.

Aroma: bright Belgian yeast, phenolics, hints of clove, little else.

Taste: spicy Belgian yeast, and tons of spices. I'd guess at coriander, clove, nutmeg, maybe a little cinnamon. Spices overwhelm everything else, including the Belgian esters and phenolics, which are basically the only other thing I get out of this. Just enough hop body to carry it through, and little else.

Mouth: sweet and medium thick, limited alcohol burn, certainly the 8.4% listed on the bottle is not evident.

Eh. Like many of Stone's beers, I really think this one is really quite overrated, due to beer geeks' (which I consider myself one) almost culti-like devotion to all things Stone. It's good, drinkable beer, but is it all that? No. Do I expect it to improve? Yes. Do I expect it to improve to the point of being all that? No.

Basically, it's a standard, overspiced, underwhelming Belgian strong ale, and not really distinguishable from hundreds of beers available in any decent supermarket in Belgium, or dozens available in any BevMo for that matter.

07-06-2007 21:55:18 | More by warmstorage
BadBadger

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

This Belgian Ale pours a copper to amber color, frorm the bottle and into the glass. The head was minimal, even with a vigorous pour. The smell is faint, not really indicative of anything. The taste is bland and nonpleasing, being overwhelmed by a sticky sweetness. There is a bitter, metallic, taste at the end of the sweet. This is not really a pleasurable offering, by Stone's usually standards.

10-20-2007 23:55:24 | More by BadBadger
BeerAdvocate

3.18/5  rDev -15.6%

Beer review from BA Mag Sep 2007.

Like past VE releases, this one is another strong Belgian-style ale; but this year's twist is that it's a Saison/Tripel hybrid, brewed with four malts, Glacier and Crystal hops, and spiced with ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel.

Deep golden, with rich, bright amber hues, topped with a healthy-looking creamy white foam head that laces and sticks well. Smells like a fruit cup, with a powdery, slightly metallic background note, soft floral bouquet and some distinct cardamom. Creamy on the palate, smooth and medium-bodied, rounded, but a bit plain due to a thin carbonation edge. Up front there's a nice ginger zing and a smack of citrus. Kind of sweet, with some toasty and bready malt notes, a hint of caramel and a light fruity ester that sits on a somewhat tamed cardamom base. Some gummy notes in the middle. Spicy, peppery alcohol bite and warmth. Finish is really dry with a bready and earthy linger.

A most interesting combination of two very distinct styles--but not the strongest out of the series. Though the cardamom was probably used gingerly (sorry about that), it just doesn't work for us--cardamom is pretty damn aggressive. Removing it and allowing the nuances from the Belgian yeast to shine would have worked better; which, in turn, would have given the ginger and citrus more of a presence. It's also lacking the light-bodied effervescence and dryness found with both styles. Aging could prove beneficial.

07-07-2010 00:18:21 | More by BeerAdvocate
sfoley333

Brazil

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a Duvel Snifter.
The color is a wonderful golden orange with a nice lacy head that retains for a few minutes. The citrus hoppy aroma is mixed with a hint of spice but followed by strong presence of alcohol ( even though some stone beers have a higher alcohol content this one is more apparent). Taste at first overpowering citrus peel esters, with a warm alcohol aftertaste. Very bitter but not because of the hop flavor, needs more malt and hop flavor to support the flavored bitter effect of the oils of the citrus peel. Dont get me wrong this beer is meant to age, and out of all of the vertical epics I believe this one will benefit the most and might be mind blowing in 2012.

09-11-2007 08:26:00 | More by sfoley333
domtronzero

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a nice copper color with an effervescent appearance and a fizzy white head. Some lacing left. Aroma is very Belgian-ish. Some fruity and malty smells are coming thru. Taste is bold, but too many flavors are running through my mouth. Sweet maltiness, with the typical Belgian banana spice flavor. Hops are slightly noticeable as a grassy presence. Not light and fizzy on the mouth like I thought it would be. The label indicates that the inpiration is from Saisons and Golden Trippels. I think it was a decent beer overall, especially for an American interpretation of a Belgian beer. But I still prefer my Saison DuPont.

09-22-2007 00:44:15 | More by domtronzero
robg2251

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours an amber orange with a creamy 1/4" head that dissipated quickly.
Smell is sweet banana, orange-grapefruit and nutmeg.
Light to medium on the palette, a bit dry. Fizzy in carbonation that finishes with a moderate alcohol feel.
The initial flavor is light sweetness, and finishes moderately sweet - the 8.4% ABV definitely comes out in the finish.
This is Stones sixth in their "epic" series. They started with a batch on 02.02.02 and followed up year after year - obviously, this years was released on 07.07.07.
This is a Belgian style based on two styles - Saisons and Golden Triples.
This beer is pretty complex. You can taste the fruit flavors throughout it, along with a depth of spices. I'm not a real big fan of Belgians, but I do like to try them. This one will probably have to grow on me. The bottle suggests aging this until 2012. Maybe they plan on it tasting much better by then. Too late for me though, my bottle is already opened and I'm about to finish it!

10-02-2007 01:15:57 | More by robg2251
Gueuzedude

Arizona

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Sample June 2007
Pours with a brilliantly clear (and I mean brilliant), full copper color that has tons of streaming bubbles coming up from the bottom. The bubbles support an initially three-finger thick, light tan colored head. The nose is quite spice driven, with ample notes of ginger, clove and a fair amount of citrus notes (leaning towards lemon zest and orange peel). In the finish is a hint of something cola like, which makes me think of cardamom. Despite the spices, the aroma is quite clean. It does have aromatic notes of toasted grain & biscuit malt towards the end. At times the aroma reminds me of a spicy ginger ale, though it is not quite so piquant.

Fairly sweet up front with a fairly thick body; I would characterize it as being medium full. It finishes with an earthy spiciness reminiscent of clove, green coriander and cardamom. Light flavors of lemon zest and a note somewhat like pears or green apples add a hint of fruitiness. The spice flavors are not over the top here, yet somehow they seem to dominate the flavor profile. This could also be a mix of hop character & spices, interacting in ways that one is not used to in a Belgian-style beer. I am not enjoying the mix of flavors here, but I think that this might actually improve considerably with some age; perhaps a year or so would be good. As my palate gets used to some of the sharper, more earthy spice notes a bit more citrus character becomes noticeable; it starts to move towards notes of orange peel. The earthy ginger flavors still are prominent though, even lingering on in the finish.

This is not drinking all that great right now, and I am hoping that it will get quite a bit better with some age on it. It is definitely too clean & needs more yeast influence, hell even a bit of yeasty haze would have been beneficial. The body is a bit too thick for me as well. This should still be at least as drinkable as it is now by 2012.

06-25-2007 04:50:32 | More by Gueuzedude
TurdFurgison

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from a Stone bomber into an Orval glass for me and St. Bernardus chalice for her. The beer is a light copper color, just a touch hazy, with a very thin head. The aroma is a little pepper spicy, kind of tripel-like, it has a Belgian-esque yeast quality. The flavor is reminiscent of some American tripels such as Golden Monkey or Final Absolution, but with a noticeable alcohol bite. Maybe it will mellow out as it ages towards 121212, but for now this is among my least favorites from Stone. On the plus side, my wife likes it. But she's got a taste for raw alcohol...

07-13-2007 00:43:11 | More by TurdFurgison
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.