Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
smcolw

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Today is 08-08-08 and so I rate the 07-07-07 (while watching the Olympic Opening Ceremony).

Impressive initial head that recedes in a rocky fashion but eventually only a single layer of bubbles remains. Gold color and crystal clear.

Orange rind, all spice, and strong ginger aromas. Slightly earthy.

I would describe the initial sip as harsh, perhaps from ginger. The alcohol is very present but doesn't give the typical oiliness. Good body and highly carbonated.

Overall, this is a decent American version of Belgian Gingered Ale. Interesting as a different style of beer.

08-09-2008 00:48:16 | More by smcolw
TheBCrew

3.63/5  rDev -3.7%

Sampled at BCTC 2008.

Pours a light amber with a thick off-white head and some lacing. Subtle spice in the aroma as well as some hop pine. Interesting taste with several competing flavors including cloves, pine, malt sweetness, some juicy fruit and a slight, almost saison-like tartness. Mouthfeel was medium-heavy and somewhat chewy. Good drinkability.

08-05-2008 20:40:03 | More by TheBCrew
zerofear13

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

I had high expectations for this Stone Vertical Epic. I saw it on the shelf at American Beer Distributors in Brooklyn and grabbed the last one - a 22 oz. bomber.

The beer poured out an amber, gold color, with a thick foamy, sticky head. Immediately the smell reminded me of a saison with the overpowering herb-y and spicy aromas. The taste is very complex. For me, the most notable was the different spices from the yeast. There were mild hints of citrus and dark fruits, and although the beer had a great mouthfeel, it was a bit heavy. I had to share the bottle with a friend.

In my opinion, there was just way too much going on in this beer. I couldn't focus on any one particular taste. I'm such a huge fan of Stone, but I think its special occasion beers are a bit too much for me. Vertical Epic falls into that category.

08-03-2008 00:28:49 | More by zerofear13
SMADMS

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

poured from a 22oz bottle

no chance this is waiting til 12/12/2012 as botle recommends

A-- very nice apricot color with fine bubbly 2 finger head
S-- wonderful fruity tones, flowers, slight spice
T-- follows the nose, fruit (pears) and the spice are there but the zest and peels are lost in the body. nice earthiness
M-- wonderfully clean and light
D-- very nice BSA well balanced flavors (lots of them)

this is my first of the veticals but with only 11 days to go looking forwards to 08/08/08

07-28-2008 13:34:39 | More by SMADMS
alexgash

Connecticut

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz. bomber.

Mostly clear (slight haze) golden apricot body with a gauzy, tight-bubbled, off-white head. Decent lacing. Lots of spice on the nose. Cardamom, nutmeg, and fresh-cut flowers over powdered sugar, pears, and misc. fruit. Perfumy and wildflowery.

Taste follows nose. Spicy baking spice an floral notes up front. Tangy sweet sugar fruit malt follows. Grassy, herbal, spice edge throughout. Vegetal, herbal bitter finish, with some yeasty-ness and a hint of alcohol warmth. Not bad. Full-bodied with a syrupy feel. The spices may hinder the drinkability, but splitting a bomber isn't hard to do.

07-15-2008 01:18:34 | More by alexgash
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Yeast-flecked apricot with much less carbonation than a Belgian-style ale ought to have. The attractive three finger slice of pale orange-ivory foam doesn't seem to care. It melts in appealing fashion and is doing a better than adequate job with glass coverage.

I like knowing the recipes of the Vertical Epics (thanks Greg), but it does take some of the fun out of trying to guess the ingredients during the reviewing process. Ground ginger is obvious and I might have been able to identify the warm muskiness of cardamom. The grapefruit, orange and lemon peel is lost in the shuffle, as are the hops. This isn't the aroma of a classic BSPA/tripel/saison, but it's very nice all the same.

I like what the brewery has done with 07.07.07. A strong golden ale that uses Belgian yeast and/or added spices is right up my alley. An early impression is that the balance among sweet, bitter and spicy is close to ideal. Another is that this big brew has aged very well so far. Still five years to go, though.

The flavor profile is deliciously golden fruity and is reminiscent of perfectly spiced apples and pears. As in the nose, citrus fruit peel is overpowered by the strong personalities of ginger and cardamom. There might even be a little ground clove from the Belgian yeast. The 'saison-tripel hybrid' impression of the brewers sounds about right.

Almost no alcohol finds its way to the taste buds. A gentle warming on the journey down the esophagus is the only indication of its presence. Warming doesn't change much, it simply intensifies the already enjoyable potpourri of flavors. What the hell... as the bottom third of the bomber approaches, I can see no reason why the flavor score shouldn't be bumped.

A Belgianesque body/mouthfeel would have been absolutely killer. Since so few American brewers can pull it off, no points have been deducted. The beer is medium in heft, with a supple, light viscosity that is probably due to the candi sugar. A few more volumizing bubbles would have been great.

For my money, Stone Vertical Epic 07.07.07 comes in third place behind the excellent BSDAs 05.05.05 and 0.6.06.06. It's excellent, gulpable beer because the spices were well-chosen and because they were added in just the right proportions. I'd love to see something like this get a new name and a year-round release. Bring on 08.08.08.

07-09-2008 21:47:10 | More by BuckeyeNation
Boto

Connecticut

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

22oz bomber: This one pours a slightly hazy, darker golden color. There was a bit of white foam on the top that settles down to a thin layer . The nose is nice. Yeastiness, breadiness, spices, earthiness, there is a lot going on here. Boy, this is smooth. A hint of effervesence on the tongue. Spicy taste, with some of the breadiness in the background. Nice body. Very Nice!

07-08-2008 21:44:13 | More by Boto
joezak5

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

Appearance: Poured into a Duvel sniffter; a beautiful coppery amber that is crystal clear with the tiniest most delicate little bubbles slowing floating to the top. Three finger thick white head that has little retention but excellent lacing.

Smell: Sweet gingery, peppery and citrusy yeast. The ginger has devloped in the year it's aged, almost burning the back of my nose. The sweet sugared coating on this really balances it.

Mouthfeel: Very light and bubbly in the mouth. The spice is on the back of the tongue but is mainly a champagne feel.

Taste: Biscuity and gingery lemon scone type flavor starts it with the peppery yeast kicking in. Ginger clove warmth on the finish.

Drinkability: Light, crisp and balanced. This just feels like a celebration beer to me. I hope the ginger blends just a bit more over the years but other than that a real winner.

07-08-2008 00:41:02 | More by joezak5
jasonjlewis

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Pours a huge frothy head with a rich golden color.

Smell is sort of a hybrid as stated. Sort of Saison meets Strong Pale. I smell a lot of spices, however they are a little faint. I smell plum and a little orange with some coriander and I believe I smell a tiny bit of nutmeg. It comes together nicely, but is a little faint.

On first sip , I get the point of the beer. I sense the hybrid style attempt. I am a little disappointed as the beer is a little watery. The spiciness comes out but there is not enough initial sweetness from any sugar. It has a decent dryness, but it needs a little more richness. I don't think this one will age well. I think I may trade this one away instead of aging it. It seems like it would have been better fresh. Sorry to the powerball winners who didn't get one, I thought I'd want to age it.

This beer lacks crispness. It has a mild amount of crispness, but comes across a little watery.

I'm a little disappointed. This beer is only slightly above average. I expect more from stone. I am sorry to the beer powerball winners who wanted this beer, I really thought I wanted to age it. It's up for grabs now. I don't think it will age well. It's not even rought around the edges. It won't age well.

07-03-2008 02:48:53 | More by jasonjlewis
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

As the one-year mark approaches on the 07.07.07, I thought I'd open a bottle to see how this one is doing. This has been kept in a dark cellar closet since last summer. A puff of soft carbonation hisses from under the cap and into the La Chouffe tulip glass it goes.

A: Hazy orange-honey color, shows plenty of rising carbonation. With a brisk pour, cracking eggshell white head builds to just over a finger. A noisy crown of multi-sized bubbles knit loosely together, but fades away after just a couple minutes. No lace and, once the head disappears, looks a little lifeless after a while.

S: Big aroma of apples, green raisins and dried (berry) fruit wraps. Musty blend of yeast and 'Belgian' spiciness. Malty and sweet, balanced with citrusy hops.

T: More green apples, cinnamon/nutmeg spice with a burst of tangy-sweet tangerine citrus. Ripe berries, earthy yeast. Mushy pear and some booze, a little like brandy.

M: Satiny smooth thickness, sizable mouthfeel with a soft carbonation and some lasting coating. Though generally sweet and fruity, the finish does dry out (medicinal/chalky). Alcohol heat is now a pleasant 'warmth'; earlier tastes of this last summer were unpleasantly 'hot' for me. The mellowing over these months has improved the mouthfeel.

D: After my last (disappointing) try of this (August '07), I vowed to revisit at some point. Given time, this has improved in most aspects; many of my scores adjusted a .5 point upwards. I like the creativity of a Belgian Tripel/Saison hybrid and would say this leans toward the Tripel, both in terms of appearance/flavor and the elevated ABV. A good one to sip on, interesting enough to ruminate over. Glad I saved a few of these for later. Recommended.

Thanks, Metalmonk, for posting the review that 'reminded' me to give this another try...

06-21-2008 21:42:35 | More by msubulldog25
Metalmonk

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Even if you wanted to, you couldn't pour this without getting at least an inch-thick of fluffy whiteness. The head is very Belgian in that its made of a zillion impossibly small bubbles and stays put for the duration, coating the sides of the glass with each tilt and return. Color is rusty autumn orange.

Smell is exotic spices, ones I can't name, plus heavy ginger and anise, also a little bit of nutmeg. There's a good yeast presence, and the malts seem to have produced a predominantly sweet backbone.

Aromas detected come out assertively on the tongue, with a hint of cinnamon in there as well. Grapefruit adds a little twang/tang in the background. Basically you're getting a complex melange of exotic spice and fresh citrus fruit basket. A hint of yeast comes through, especially with warming, and the alcohol makes for even more boisterous behavior on the tongue. While it's incredibly complex, it somehow leans a little to one side, without having a strong malty base to add balance. Malts are like raw sugar-cookie dough, but could've been pushed up a little further. It certainly is delicious enough without having any major problems. I even dig the alcohol heat, seems to work for the flavors that are present. A blindfold taste-test would probably have most Belgian aficionados swearing this was from the Beer Paradise itself. Kudos.

The mouthfeel is outstanding, with a clean, buttery lightness, a great creamy roundness, and just a touch of carbonation which amplifies the spicier elements.

I love Saisons and I love Tripels...this is a hybrid of the two. And it's Stone. How could it fail? It's not your typical Stone ale, but what is a typical Stone ale but something atypical in the first place? This is worthy of the brewer's reputation, and a worthy addition to the "Vertical Epic" series. The only reason I wouldn't rate drinkability even higher is because all that citrus/spice just sticks with you and sticks with you, almost to the point of overload. Kudos again, Stoners...

06-06-2008 22:47:13 | More by Metalmonk
jamesm7485

Colorado

4.43/5  rDev +17.5%

As a stone whore myself, i saw this in my local bottle shop and figured eh what the hell ill pick up a few. Im glad i did as a frequent ris and dipa drinker this was a nice lighter change without being flavorless. Nice fruity taste but not in an offensive way and its hard to pinpoint what it is. Not stones typical offering's but its a very good solid beer and im looking forward to trying the rest of the line.

05-22-2008 20:41:55 | More by jamesm7485
raiser

Picked it up because it looked interesting

A. translucent light gold. Light carbonation, very little head mostly on edge of my snifter, and lasted 1 minute.

S. Ginger, Citrus, maybe some cinnamon, not very distinctive.

T. If you like fruit + ginger you've found a beer. Sweet and tart, with little aftertaste.

M. Light... Tiny Bubbles

D. Not really my gig, but I think the wife will like it. Hides the 8.4% well. It's worth trying if you have access to it, but I wouldn't go out of my way unless you LOVE ginger and/or citrus beers.

It's not bad, but it's also not Epic.

05-20-2008 01:42:35 | More by raiser
kkipple

South Carolina

3.55/5  rDev -5.8%

Cracked out during 2007 to see what all the fuss was about.

A. Semi-clear light gold. Light carbonation, very few visible bubblies. Small head that hits the edges of the glass. Poor retention.

S. Ginger, sweet toasty malt. Citrus hops, floral. Appealing, but a little "flat".

T. Sweet and sugary with a ginger wallop and a tripel-like pepper flavor. A little toasted and caramel malt are a welcome addition here; the hops are citrus and a tad spicy. Finish is lightly tart with a lingering sweetness and spice and is very reserved.

M. Light, thin, lowly carbonated.

D. Decent, but nothing spectacular. Too thin and lacking in fizz for my tastes. Needs more of that elusive "oomph" -- especially if this is going to hold up another 5 years!

05-17-2008 18:35:02 | More by kkipple
IBUnit63

From bomber to BMS mug...

3-finger, cream-colored head with chewy texture and pronounced pour seams bordering translucent natural honey-colored body. Natural carbonation is plentiful. Despite how enticing this may sound, the look of the entire package isn't awe-inspiring.

Beautiful Belgian aroma of banana ester, sweet ginger and malt-carbonation brings tingle to the nose. Vanilla and butterscotch complement the...ummm..."nasal viscosity" of the offering. With warmth, slight citrus and zest emerge along with subtle spices that are tough to place.

Sweet and silky texture of deep malt character a fair amount of banana with a modest alcohol burn; citrus and zest (with a little yeast) emerge has helped by the carbonation. Slight supple leather taste - tanginess and alcohol mix on back of palate. Stewed malt - maybe cherries - on the finish.

Even-keeled mouthfeel - relatively balanced and well-craften. Minute alcohol burn. Complex yet extremely subtle; even though I can read the ingredients on the label it's difficult to pick them out.

This is a well-made effort that could probably use some more time downstairs, and perhaps a little extra warmth in the mug. For now it's pleasant to sip pensively at night. I gotta admit, as a next-nigh worshipper to the gargoyle that encompasses Stone IPA, Ruination and the Bastard (single and Double), I would have expected a little more out of these guys. This is good, but borderline commercial. Let's get back on track, yeah?!

05-02-2008 03:05:13 | More by IBUnit63
thickerfreakness

2.65/5  rDev -29.7%

Poured this one into a Unibroue tulip. It has a nice white head and the color is what I would imagine from a wit/trippel hybrid. The smell is expected from a wit with a little bit of punch. I realize this is 10 months old already but I just don't really like this taste. I think I'm tasting some ginger and it just really isn't pleasant to me. I also taste clove and spicy belgian yeast but the ginger taste is just ruining this for me. Overall this is my least favorite of all the Stone beers I have had.

05-01-2008 23:19:37 | More by thickerfreakness
scootny

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

22 oz bomber courtesy of krkearney. Thanks for your trading and attention to detail my bro!! Pours a hazy honey gold into my Chimay chalice. Light head with little retention and spotty lacing. Gentle carbonation. Not stunning but certainly pretty.

Smell is a blend of intricate aromas. Orange grapefruit , corrianderish cardamom, ginger, honey and malt. Hops and yeasty esters combine with the others to create a "come hither" nose.

Taste is sweet and spicy. The ginger is not shy at all and the strong malt construction has a tripleish but alcoholic tenor. Which is to say the booze is hidden, only showing itself at warmer temps. The hops have a Belgian treatment, delicate, complex, and delightful with a good drying in the finish. There is a wine like aspect that gives the beer a sophisticated sipping quality.

Mouthfeel is respectably weighty, as it is a beer to be aged but not so heavy as to keep it from a hot summer day. The gentle carbonation picks up in the mouth and scrubs the tongue and palate. Good stuff here.

Drinkability is better than the number suggests. A sipping beer that makes you want more than is prudent. You're not going to knock back a bunch of these without help, but if you have friends, and good food, and time... have a designated driver. Sneaky and sophisticated.

A great beer in it's early stages. I have a few of these now for my own 2012 Epic. Watch this space for an aging update in 2010.

05-01-2008 04:56:38 | More by scootny
clayrock81

4.28/5  rDev +13.5%

Poured the 22 oz. bomber into a pint glass (unfortunately no other glass available) and received a cloudy, orangish body with slight amber hues. A solid, two-finger head that stuck around for awhile and left good sheath lacings.
A good combo of cirtic and other fruit notes along with some spices. Picked up pear, apple, orange and banana, along with pepper and maybe clove. Not a strong hoppy or malt smell, but there was some sugar in it also. A definite fruit taste comes first, mostly orange and lemon (all the ones I listed above, for the record), and then some spices hit. But this beer also has a sweetness to it, like bubblegum, and is also balanced with caramel and/or honey to give some taste on the sides of the mouth. Has some nice hops in it to finish it out so it goes down even and not like a fruit/dessert beer. It's hard to pinpoint the mouthfeel, it is full-bodied, sweet, fruity, but also contains some spices and can be a little crisp. Bottom line, this is one of the most complex brews I've had in a long time - it is almost a combo of Belgian Ale and German Hefe, to bastardize it a tad. The price and high ABV restrict its sessionability, but this is a must have for anyone to try and a must cellar brew also.

04-29-2008 17:07:05 | More by clayrock81
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.58/5  rDev -5%

A: Hazy-bronze with floaties, white head, very little retention, light lacing.

S: Candied pineapple, gingerbread, spice & a slight fruity tartness.

T: Spicy gingerbread, tropical fruit, cloves, grain, light bitterness, slight tartness, light alcohol warmth.

M: Moderate body & carbonation with a dry finish.

D: Something to sip with dinner.

04-10-2008 00:06:29 | More by Derek
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Spicey yeast aroma is great. Cloudy yellow with substantial lace. Orange, pineapple, and malty, ginger, cloves,some citrus peel, and much sweet finish.Smooth drinking. Medium mouthfeel and suitable understated carbonation. Good Belgium strong and good break from so many other chocolate and coffee ales.

04-09-2008 21:49:21 | More by Sammy
NEhophead

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

22 fl oz brown bottle; served in a tulip.

Slightly hazy, deep gold with bright copper hues. Densely, creamy white head that barely budges. Few trails of spotted lacing.

Sweet, malted wheat with Belgian-candied sugar. Cutting citrus: grapefruit, lemon. Hints of melon with a strong rum-like alcohol whaft. Light spices: clove and corriander.

Sweet candied sugar quickly overtaken by a burst of clean, refreshing citrus: orange, lemon, grapefruit, green apple. The sweet malt base provides an even creaminess amidst a brisk clove and pepper spice.

Almost full in body; a thick creaminess with just a bit of film from the ever-present yeast. A touch too active with the spice and carbonation.

A flavorful 'hybrid' of sorts that drinks more like a light Tripel with citrus highlights. A delicately crafted Belgian-style with some very traditional flavors.

04-08-2008 02:15:38 | More by NEhophead
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

A strong pour equals about two fingers of light tan head. The even fuzz settles to a half an inch with nice retention. Body is a golden amber straw colored hue. Nose has notes of cimmamon, sweet bread, ginger and raw wheat. A slew of spice rolls over the tongue with the first sip with waves of cimmanon, clove, strong ginger, yeast, and even peppery zest. The huge array of spices are almost numbing to the tongue. There is a soft sweetness lingering within all this spice somewhere. The bitter spice hue is all over this mouthfeel but is really to much for me. Drinkability is short lived due to the over abundence of spice. Of all the Stone success this is not one of them for me.

04-01-2008 22:37:37 | More by SPLITGRIN
lpayette

Vermont

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Purchased a couple months ago, and sampled on 03.28.08, so it's got a solid 6 months or so in the bottle. Overall- it's quite good, but I think it should get better with age, so I think I may keep my other bottle until sometime after 12.12.12 like they suggest.

Upon opening the bottle, the first thing I thought was "Unibroue." This isn't just because it's a belgian ale- it's more than that. The yeast characteristics in both the smell and taste seem to me to be very much akin to a unibroue beer. So I'm thinking it's the same yeast, and if not, it's a damn similiar one.

Color is deep and golden as promised with a huge saison-like head. Not much lacing to my surprise. Very effervescent with lots of floral and citrus notes. Very nice. The glacier and crystal hops do a fine job at bittering, but for now at least, the orange, grapefruit, and lemon peel are just a tad bit too much right now. It seems that I can taste all three, but perhaps I am imagining them to an extent. The mouthfeel will benefit from some more aging as well I think... all those peels just leave the mouth a bit puckered up. Nothing over the top, just a tad bit too much right now.

Overall this is already developing into a very very drinkable and excellent beer. The blending of the various spices I think is going to be outstanding a year or two out from now. Not bad at all right now, but I have high expectations for this down the road.

03-29-2008 04:51:26 | More by lpayette
ATPete

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

capped 22 oz bottle bought at Somerviller Supersaver (2007)

*this review is from an older book of notes*

A- Hazy gold/orange color with an off white cappuccino head.

S- Spicy. Malty and a bit fruity. A bit of alcohol on the nose as well.

T- Cinnamon, raisons, apple, nutmeg, all spice, pepper, yeast, roasted malts, bittersweet hops, molasses, dates.

M- Almost grainy, but not thick.

R- Probably my least favorite beer from Stone yet. I wasnt crazy about it but my buddy loved it. To each his own i guess.

03-28-2008 23:52:27 | More by ATPete
Rippeddisc

Hawaii

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

My friend I was visiting was kind enough to open one of his stash when I was visiting in Salt Lake City. Very impressively complex. Raisnbread, citrus, spices on the nose. Appearance is light amber with nice head to start but fades quickly and no lacing. Taste is as complex as the nose. Very drinkable and tasty. Sweet a bit with the last bit leaving a bit of a citrus kick. Am curious to see what it will be like when it reaches it's supposed maturity in 2012.

03-15-2008 04:18:10 | More by Rippeddisc
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.