Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
phisig137

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%

A- pours a deep amber, brilliant orange color, with a 2 finger head. Great retention, heavy lace, and small bubbles continue to rise from the bottom of the glass.

S- Complex, very interesting nose, filled with caramel malts, big spice and herbal component. Citrus hops, backed by ginger spice make a great combo. Honey shows up towards the back as well.... nice

F- Big time spice and herb flavors. Cardamom and citrus seem to dominate the flavor, but thyme and basil seem to be in there too. Beautiful spicy yeast strain, with lots of phenols. Ginger hits on the finish, along with a touch of honey sweetness. Fantastic.

M- creamy, oily, and thick.

D- quite good, but a slight alcohol burn after a few sips.

Overall, a great beer. Like many of the other vertical epics, I can't really see this lasting another 5 and a half years. We'll just have to see how the spice holds up. I guess we'll see in the future. Either way, pick one up if you can still find some.

11-17-2007 17:51:31 | More by phisig137
calebmills

West Virginia

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

To start this is one of the first beers ive been able to try that was above 6% alcohol other than stones arrogant bastard ale which i was not able to fully enjoy because i had already had too much to drink that particular night...anyways this beer is a slightly hazy orange. sort of fruity tasting but for the high alcohol content its well masked and very very smooth.. this is my first beer review as well and this is a very complex beer to try and explain for my first try but i definately recommend it if you come across a bottle!

11-10-2007 04:53:44 | More by calebmills
buffettfan

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Poured from the bottle into a globe shaped glass. Appeared a deep amber/red color, with off white, kaki colored fluffy head. Aroma was a sweet, spicy smell, a little fruit. The taste was much the same, a little spicy, citrus with a slightly bitter, but pleasant hop note, and lighter carbonation then I am accustomed too. Mouthfeel was thick but very smooth, a very drinkable, enjoyable beer. Not sure I would call this beer Epic, but it certianly is very good.

11-10-2007 00:06:28 | More by buffettfan
Viggo

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Purchased in Buffalo, always enjoy these vertical epics.

Pours a slightly hazy orange/amber, medium sized off white head forms, settles to a thin layer, nice sticky lace. Smell is sweet/sour, caramel, some citrus, yeasty, oranges, buttered bread, some spices in the finish, pretty interesting. Taste is similar, sweet/sour feel up front, fruity, caramel/butter, spices and yeast, oranges, sweet finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. My least favourite of the Vertical Epics, but we'll see how it ages.

11-08-2007 01:09:10 | More by Viggo
RedChrome

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

A clear light orange colored beer, Inch and a half foamy white colored head faded over about two minutes. Carbonation in very average streams. Watery sheet of lace.

Apple and plum fruit aromas abound. Malt is faint behind the fruitiness, but has a yeasty scent attached to it. A strong alcohol profile pops strongly on the nostrils.

Apple presence transfers nicely from the scent to the taste, but leaves the plums behind. A spiced, mostly pepper, flavor also is quite pronounced. Warming alcohol taste.

Nice thickness on the tongue. A carbonation effect slightly above normal, but not unpleasant.

A very decent choice. Nice beer to pair with seafood pasta dish. Cheers to Stone for another winner in the series. A beer almost everyone can find enjoyable.

11-07-2007 03:48:39 | More by RedChrome
dough

3.38/5  rDev -10.3%

Poured this beer into a Tulip at about 50-55 degrees.

Pours an amber color with about 1 inch of head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Nose reminds me of candy apples.

Taste: Hebal, orangeskin fruitiness with a malty undertone. I sense a drying finish.

Overall this is a decent beer and a nice take on a classic Belgian style. I am interested to see how this one ages and looking forward to another review in 5 years.

11-07-2007 03:46:15 | More by dough
BradBLR

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Appearance: Darker amber color with a yellowish head. Head was nice and thick, lasted entire beer and had a good amount of lacing.

Smell: Spicy malt smell with hints of fruit and sweetness.

Taste: A sweet malt flavor with hints of spice, maybe hints of cinnamon or other sweet type spices. Flavors did not seem to be totally blended yet, slightly green. Sweet after taste.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick and CO2 was just slightly weak.

A very interesting beer from Stone and I thought it was better than the 06.06.06. Can't wait to try it again in a few years.

11-06-2007 20:39:38 | More by BradBLR
arizcards

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Picked up three bombers back at the end of June for $5.79 each.

Beer poured a reddish orange with a minimal white head. Nose is very pleasant, quite fruity with spices, and some belgian yeast hints. Taste is unique, it truly blends the dry qualities of a Saison with the spicy and slightly peppery qualities of a Trippel. Mouthfeel is good, somewhat spicy and peppery with a medium body. Drinkability is good. This brew has improved since the first one i tried. It is definitely more smooth this time around. I'll save the third bottle for next summer.

11-04-2007 23:28:28 | More by arizcards
montageman

4.47/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a Duvel tulip.

My first Vertical Epic. I only bought one bottle, but after tasting this, I may need to get more. Pours a rich amber to orange with a quickly dissipating head that leaves little lacing. The smell is different - there is a cooling, minty component coupled with banana and ginger. Spicy yet soothing. The taste is spicy and sweet up front with a citrus like bitter finish. Mouthfeel is ideal for this - moderately carbonated with an almost syrupy texture. This is an awesome take on the Belgian style - easy to drink and very complex. Delicious! Highly recommended.

11-03-2007 00:29:34 | More by montageman
cswhitehorse

Oregon

4.03/5  rDev +6.9%

The Vertical Epic pours a light orangish amber color with a nice foam head that dissipates quickly. If you hold it up to the light it is very cool as it has thousands of particles suspending in air or liquid.

The smell is of of oranges and the usually Belgium aroma. Not knowing it is a Belgian beer when I bought it pouring release the familiar aroma.

The taste was of a strong ales with a nice spicy finish. It was chewy in the mouth and hid the alcohol well. I would definitely recommend this even to the non-Belgian lover.

11-02-2007 02:29:59 | More by cswhitehorse
wspscott

Kentucky

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

bomber in tulip glass

A: Dark gold color with a thin white head, crystal clear.
S: Spicy with a rich malt smell.
T&M: The belgian spiciness definitely comes through. I can't figure out if it is a yeast spiciness or actual spices like coriander. Highly carbed and rich, must have a ton of malt. Virtually no hint of hops.
D: This is an interesting take on the "style" but I can't figure it out. In the end, I think I prefer a more traditional belgian. Recommended if the price is right or someone else is buying. I would be curious to see how this ages but I don't think I will buy another just to cellar it.

11-02-2007 01:50:50 | More by wspscott
jwc215

Wisconsin

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Pours golden amber with a white creamy head that thins, but stays through the duration.

The smell is spicy - ginger coriander, etc. (as listed). Some sweet caramel backs it up.

Nice aroma, but the taste is too spicy - almost like a pumpkin ale meets a Belgian. (In the sense of having an abundance of spices). The spiciness stays ahead of the candi sugar sweetness and caramelish (slightly grassy? - maybe a hint) backing. Perfumy - rendering an endearing aroma, but not quite so endearing flavor. Still - it has enough complexities and support to keep it far from unpleasant. It has a spicy, warming finish.

The feel is effercescent with a lingering spiciness clinging to the palate.

Interesting, but I do recall last year's being better and I do expect better from this great brewery, which does a fine job at making intense beers palatable - this one is over-spiced.

10-26-2007 23:24:02 | More by jwc215
TheBierBand

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm WEAK.... I know... I originally intended to cellar this for 5 years and taste it just as the label advises.... drink this in sequence with the other Vertical Epic selections from Stone on or about 12/12/2012.

But alas.... I'M WEAK.... Every time I would open my beer fridge, it would smile back at me, knowing that I wouldn't last the 5 plus years. So today, I caved.

I poured this into an oversized wine glass to produce a 1/2" head of off-white foam. This quickly disappeared to a thin cap leaving no lacing. The color is quite interesting.... almost a peachy orange with rose highlights. Just a little cloudy.

The smell reminded me of the few Belgians, I've had.... sweet malty with fruity/yeasty undertones.

The taste: Wow! Rather complex.... let's see if I can break this down.... initially, the typical Belgian tastes appear... like sweet malt, and fruity (plums and peaches) tastes prevail. Then, right at the finish, there's a little BITE....citrus fruit peel (orange and lemon).

Mouthfeel: Quite fizzy, like most Belgians... only maybe a bit less-so (which is good in my opinion). Good aftertaste, and mouthcoating.

Drinkability: Well, I've finished the only bomber I had.... I wonder if I'll try to score the other Vertical Epic series beers (and try them as recommended on or about 12/12/2012)? I've never considered patience as a strong suit for me.... I doubt that I could buy a beer and let it sit for 5 years.... but, we'll see.... people change... beers change...

10-23-2007 20:24:11 | More by TheBierBand
arguemaniac

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

The nicely roasted toffee malt palate features a rich clovey herbal character that is accompanied by a clean, spicy ginger note and some definite coriander. Firm toastiness in the finish.

Nice, especially if you’re in to spice-laden Belgians. But, I wonder if several years of aging will do that much good for this one?

Recommended…

10-21-2007 23:02:21 | More by arguemaniac
Mryup

4.15/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A: Deep golden color with red/orange/yellow highlights. Average white head after a semi-vigorous pour.

S: Heavy malt, hops, spice (ginger among others) with subtle hints of citrus fruit.

T: Heavy malt and spice dominate the taste with the hops (Glacier and Crystal) and citrus fruit to add a very nice balance. Unique. The alcohol is melded perfectly.

M: Wet, medium-bodied that holds its balance throughout. Carbonation is high but seems fitting for the beer.

D: Considering the alcohol content, this is a very drinkable beer. The style makes it so it's not a session beer but still enjoyable none the less.

NOTE: After finishing this beer I have edited my drinkability score from a 2.5 to 4! One of the previous reviewers was correct in that this is not a beer to rate by sampling. It gets better and better. Impressive.

10-21-2007 20:24:26 | More by Mryup
nortmand

2.38/5  rDev -36.9%

Cloudy orange pour with a bit of white head.

Alot of spiciness in the aroma. Ginger dominates, with supporting clove and coriander notes.

Spicy and boozy are the best ways to describe the flavor. Stale off flavors linger on the tongue long after the swallow. Just nothing worth liking.

Thick, uneven body. I absolutely love Stone's lineup, but Belgians are definitely not their forte. Yet. I'm hoping for the future, but in the meantime I'll stick to one of their world class offerings.

10-21-2007 01:42:02 | More by nortmand
BadBadger

3.15/5  rDev -16.4%

This Belgian Ale pours a copper to amber color, frorm the bottle and into the glass. The head was minimal, even with a vigorous pour. The smell is faint, not really indicative of anything. The taste is bland and nonpleasing, being overwhelmed by a sticky sweetness. There is a bitter, metallic, taste at the end of the sweet. This is not really a pleasurable offering, by Stone's usually standards.

10-20-2007 23:55:24 | More by BadBadger
likestoswallow

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

650ml bottle. Poured an almost translucent amber color (some cloudiness) with a quickly disappearing off-white head. Aroma of a Belgian Trappist wanna-be. It reminded me of Chimay, which is not a bad thing. The flavor was sweet with spices such as coriander and ginger and there is a sweet maltines. Hops are well balanced and understated, which is something I find unusual for a stone product. Mouthfeel is full and satisfying. Finish is long with coriander. Initially I did not care much for this concoction, but as I finished the bottle I came to appreciate it more and more. I would speculate that this is one beer that can not be accurately rated by a one, or a two, ounce sample. This goes great with pretzels and Gruyere De Comte cheese.

10-20-2007 02:01:05 | More by likestoswallow
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

Bottle: Poured a deep orangey color ale with a small foamy head with little retention and no lacing. Aroma of spices and rich sweet Belgian malt with some cardamom. Taste is dominated by some spicy notes with lots of cardamom with what seems like wheat. Texture is oily with a thick body and some medium carbonation. Definitely too sweet and oily for what I usually looks for in Belgian ale but interesting nonetheless. Also, as much as I like the experimentation, I have a hard time seeing this one improving over the next five years.

10-17-2007 17:17:05 | More by Phyl21ca
Gusler

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer pours forth from the 22 ounce bottle a crystalline gold, the head is monumental in size, the color a bright white and the texture creamy, the resultant lace a tight skirt to obfuscate the glass. Nose has a nice hint of citrus and fruit, with malt to back it up, the Cardamom is also quite noticeable, just a plethora of aromas to treat the olfactory senses. Start is nicely malted; sweet and spicy, top is moderate in feel. Finish has sparkling wine crispness, the hops dynamic in their spicy bite, the alcohol evident, as it warms your tummy, very dry and lingering aftertaste. What can I say, I’ve been a “Stoner” since the very first day I quaffed one of their brews, and will be still the day they shovel dirt in my face.

10-15-2007 21:53:19 | More by Gusler
PhageLab

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Yes yes I know, I couldn't wait that long either, it simply called to me, and I answered.

A - A very pretty solid bronze color. Minimal head which disappeared fast, no lacing.

S - Very sweet, like grapefruit and orange juice. Makes my tongue water up just a bit.

T - Wow, at first very sweet and spicy, but the aftertaste packs a bitterness so potent it feels like being slapped. This is not necessarily a bad thing, it's just powerful. Hard to detect the alcohol with the complex battle being waged by the different profiles here. As it warms up the bitterness dies down a bit and this becomes quite enjoyable!

M - Full bodied and noticeably thick, yet it finishes much cleaner than I had expected.

D - I'm not sure how many of these I would be able to handle, but I could definitely go for another. I bet other beers taste like water after this one, it's quite brutal on the palate.

10-12-2007 22:29:11 | More by PhageLab
kmo1030

3.6/5  rDev -4.5%

fantastic looking orangey gold, with a thick light tan head that sticks around.
while there is a thick head the yeast shines in the aroma. once that fades, ginger takes over with some of the citrus rind components and clove. grows vaguely plastic-y (soapy?) at times.
the taste seems yeast driven, but the spicing plays a big part as well. it's got a lot of that lightly fruity belgian pale ale yeast type flavor up front with banana, soft mango, peach(?) etc. and as it travels over the tongue the spices kick in in greater amount with citrus peel, clove and ginger being most aparent. bitterness at the finish cleans up the end before it can tunr into a trainwreck, which it might be without that bitterness and dryness at the back end. the heavy spicing grows a little tiresome though, 8 oz or so would be a more ideal size in it's present state. it can be pretty hot too. burps taste like ginger wrapped banana.
full bodied with middle of the road carbonation.
pretty good but a bit much at the moment. this was designed for a long rest though. should be good in a few years.

10-12-2007 01:00:17 | More by kmo1030
gmcfarre

Colorado

3.1/5  rDev -17.8%

22 oz bomber poured into snifter
Decanted at approx. 52 degrees

A - Pours a clear copper color with an admirable 3/4 inch off white head. Lacing is moderate, but pretty much only when tipped.

S - Clearly the brewers were not lying when they listed the spices on the label - ginger and cardamom are strongly apparent here, with the three peels (grapefruit, lemon and orange) forming a blend of citrus zest. Ginger is the strongest scent here, which is unfortunate for me because its one of the few flavors I don't enjoy.

T - Really similar to the scent. Ginger and cardamom out front with a bit of citrus. Slight malt sweetness and not much hop activity to detect. It's almost like the spices and citrus combine to give this a slight pumpkin flavor, resulting in something very interesting but not great.

M - Smooth with low carbonation and a light/medium body. Finish is chewy and slightly sticky with little dryness.

D - Not my favorite stone brew right now, but I have couple that will be aging for a couple of years (till 2012?!) so we'll see what happens. Hopefully the spices will calm down and let the malt and hops shine through.

10-04-2007 02:04:01 | More by gmcfarre
robg2251

3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours an amber orange with a creamy 1/4" head that dissipated quickly.
Smell is sweet banana, orange-grapefruit and nutmeg.
Light to medium on the palette, a bit dry. Fizzy in carbonation that finishes with a moderate alcohol feel.
The initial flavor is light sweetness, and finishes moderately sweet - the 8.4% ABV definitely comes out in the finish.
This is Stones sixth in their "epic" series. They started with a batch on 02.02.02 and followed up year after year - obviously, this years was released on 07.07.07.
This is a Belgian style based on two styles - Saisons and Golden Triples.
This beer is pretty complex. You can taste the fruit flavors throughout it, along with a depth of spices. I'm not a real big fan of Belgians, but I do like to try them. This one will probably have to grow on me. The bottle suggests aging this until 2012. Maybe they plan on it tasting much better by then. Too late for me though, my bottle is already opened and I'm about to finish it!

10-02-2007 01:15:57 | More by robg2251
CortexBomb

2.98/5  rDev -21%

Pour: dirty orange with a modest white head on top. The smell is heavy on the spice; ginger, coriander...definitely reminds me of a saison in certain ways as well.

Flavour, very sweet and spicy up front...the ginger and coriander from the nose is prominent, but it is complimented by a sweet maltiness, almost bordering on sugary. Light citrus is also present, not in a hoppy way though, just a touch of zing. A bit of banana as well. This becomes increasingly abrasive as it warms though, and the spices become absolutely overwhelming near room temperature. The score I'm giving it here is an average of the good score that it had when it was still cold, and the bad score that it had once it was warmer.

Mouthfeel, full but not over the top, plenty of carbonation, some tongue bitter. Drinkability, about as good as you could expect for such an intense spice flavour, which is to say, not that good. I would expect this to improve as it ages.

The bottom line: if you like highly spiced, Saison/Belgian Pale style ales, then this is worth checking out. I think age will improve the spice depth here and allow the individual flavours to come out more, but for the present, this beer is strongly on the abrasive side, particularly once it warms, and I would recommend letting it age for a bit (a year or two?) before cracking the bottle.

09-30-2007 03:06:07 | More by CortexBomb
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.