Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros

2.15/5  rDev -43%

07 epic

I recall this being the worst stone beer ever, but hey now 4 years old, lets give it a shot again. Poured into a stone vertical epic glass.

Pours golden amber with far more carbonation than a 4 year old beer should ever have. A small thin white head forms that doesn't hold or leave lacing.

Fruity esters, pine apple, white grapes, cloves, bananas, and a lot of spices are all meningeal well in this beer. I think there's also some chi tea notes in this one. Still the spicy triple that stone first released, but this has taken on some subtle enhancements.

Fruity white grape juice that's turning to wine with spices scattered about. That's really the best way to describe what's come of this beer. Unlike fresh this beer now definitely is taking on some saison like flavors. A certain hop funk that I didn't notice before seems odd to be here now, but it certainly is here. This beer however is still a bit more a spice bomb than I'd like and the malt is strong enough and powerful enough to keep the funk from being the show case.

This beer tries to drink crisp and clean, but the body and the weight of it are just too dense. I suppose stone had to boost the abv to the 8.4 level for aging, but it doesn't work well here.

I know I need more of the 09 epic because I can see that one aging for YEARS to come, but otherwise the 06, 08, and 10 that I've had were far better fresh (or in the 10's case as good as a bad beer can get). It seems the 07 late in life has started to go the right direction. I'll be interested to see what comes of it on the epic date.

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Color of honey. Even with an agitated pour, the head is not very impressive, and becomes paper thin within 30 seconds. Beer clean glassware? I try. Aroma of alcohol, grapefruit, and possibly some mysterious botanicals. Flavor is fairly balanced between a tripel and saison. Mouthfeel is a little thin for the style. I wonder about the reviews this beer would get if it came in a bottle that said...oh, Blue Moon I guess. I wouldn't advise aging this until 2012. maybe 2010. The 4.4.04 tasted similar upon its release, but became awesome by the winter of 05/06, so maybe I'll buy three or four and have one every six months.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

22 oz bomber thanks to my first trade with Redwood21. Served this puppy up in a snifter and I hope it hasn't experienced any negative effects since I forgot it was there.

A: Pours a pretty nice orange honey color. Held to light it has a lot more orange character to it. The intial pour yielded a nice cream colored finger of head. The head diminishes rather quickly to a thin ring that rests on top. The ring does produce some decent lacing.

S: Whoa. At first smell I get a ton of brandy type smells coming out. Really knock you on your ass, brandy. As it warms, this smell subtles out. Some really nice pickled ginger comes out later along with some anise seed? Very interesting. There is also a nice malt presence that has a touch of orange sweetness mingling in there.

T: Wow we put some ginger in here did we Stone? Lots of crazy ginger flavor coming out here. Then comes some nice orange and grapefruit flavors that I imagine are the hops presence. Still nicely sweet and enjoyable. The malt is thick and just the right amount of sweetness coming from there. There is also just a spice rack of spices going on here and it seems that a different flavor comes out from each sip. Other notable tastes are clove, yeast, and mint. Nice.

M: Pretty nice medium bodied brew on the heavy side. This brew has some decent sticky qualities to it. ABV is light in the feel, lighter than the nose would lea you to believe. The aftertaste is mostly some nice citrus fruit and sweet malty goodness. Carbonation is medium but this is not exactly crisp.

D: This brew is pretty nice. It has its high points and low points in each category. Overall, I would say this was enjoyable but it wasn't all that easy of drinker. Not bad and sure as hell solid.

3.43/5  rDev -9%

Bomber I picked up a few days ago poured into Duvel tulip glass.

Golden amber color... very fizzy with lots of head.

The smell of this one is really funky... apples, pears, grapes, Vernors ginger ale, lemon.

Initial flavor is very sweet and "fresh", some kind of spearmint with pears and maybe rosemary or thyme. Finish is strong alcoholic flavors and a hint of metallic influences. Very strange and unique, but I don't know if its something I really enjoy. Despite the strength, it isn't that overpowering but the odd flavor takes some getting used to. Mouthfeel is very fizzy.

A strange colleciton of spices for a beer but not terrible. Worth trying, but I probably won't seek it out again.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

07.07.07 was the first of the Vertical Epic series I tasted and I did not really care for it. I have had the red wine barrel, and it was not very good either. So coming up on three years later here it goes again. This one pours dark orange, bit of suspended sediment, not too big of a hard though some decent lace on the sides. In the aroma the ginger comes through wonderfully with a bit of cardamom, honey, and spicy clovelike notes. The flavor is ripe with ginger, candi sugar, brown sugar, and a spicy orange and cookielike malt finish. The flavor has plenty of ginger, with some Belgian sugar, then cardamom and lots of bready cookie malts on the finish. The spices have finally came out on this beer instead of being dominated by the Belgian yeast and it has improved. Medium to full body with matching carbonation, still doesn't quite feel natural even if it is bottle conditioned. This one has slowly improved, but it still isn't too much of a drinker for me.

pours a nice dark golden color (if that makes sense!) with a white head that shrinks quickly but doesn't go all the way away. smells like a sweet belgian tripel to me. i'm not getting very much saison, but i do smell farmhousy, peppery when i take my time and let this thing warm up a little. grapefruit and orange for sure, a little banana. tastes like it smells, but even more comes through. pretty complex. a lot going on, and i will enjoy seeing how this tastes in abuot a year or so. medium body and nice carbonation. you could fool me in a blind taste test with this one. i might actually think it was belgian.

4.68/5  rDev +24.1%

This is an excellent example of a good Belgian Ale.

A: Pours a golden body with a small head that dissipates after a few sips but a solid lacing is evident that hold thorughout the whole beer.

S: An excellent, sweet malty smell. Also, ginger, cardamon, grapegruit all seemd ot be evident in the smell as well.

T: The taste was just as exquisite. A nice, sweet malt taste with the spices noted above evident but not overbearing. The alcohol was barely noticeable except for in my bloodstream. Smooth, banana esters were present in the aftertaste that did well did balance the other spices and the malts.

M: A crisp, smooth mouthfeel that was bot anjoyable and refreshing.

D: A very drinkable beer. Good taste, great mouthfeel. The alcohol was barely noticeable and the beer was just fantastic overall. An exceptional brew.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

A- Thick tan head on a crystal clear dark orange body. Very little lacing left and head retention wasn't to good.
S- It really smells like what you would imagine a triple mixed with a saison would smell like. A nice size banana mixed with spices and yeast. Grass hops and light cloves, hints of some other fruits like maybe a tiny bit of pineapple and pear? Also alcohol is noticed too.
T- Again the flavor is like the two mixed. You get a banana blended about equally with the saison style of yeast and the spices. Alcohol is noticeable, maybe a little to much on the tongue. Some other fruits make there way in there also with a few other spices. The more I sip on it the better it gets. A dry hop bitterness slowly builds up on tongue.
M- Full/medium body with low/medium carbonation.
D- The more I am drinking the more I like it. I think it may be a tad to hot right now but maybe in about 6 months it will be tasting better. I think it might actually age well unlike some others think. I can see the flavors blending together a bit more and the alcohol not being as hot. Can't wait to find out.

4.72/5  rDev +25.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

22 oz bottle

A: Deep golden, copper under a big white head. Some nice lace and nice retention.

S: Smells fruity and spicy. A bit of apple and pear mixed with some sage, a bit of ginger and maybe some pepper. Perhaps a little saison-like hay character as well.

T: Sweet throughout. Spicy and fruity again, with some drying alcohol in the back end. Sage plays the biggest spice role, again mixed with a bit of apple. Saison-like hay is more noticeable in the taste.

M/D: Very nice mouthfeel. Medium to full bodied, carbonation is just right. Body might be a bit too slick for my liking, but that is nit-picking. Excellent drinkability. Overall, a very excellent bear.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Golden color with a tint of red. Fine bubbled head that drops to a thin lacing cap. Smell is spicey and drifts slightly to a alcohol note as it warms. This isn't necessary bad, but there is no hiding that this one has some kick to it. Taste somehow comes accross as somewhat bland, some spice, sugar sweetness, with an alcohol finish. Medium bodied mouthfeel. Not an overly drinkable beer. I bought a case of these when it first came out and i still have 9 left. It's mellowed somewhat over time but I'm hoping a little more aging improves this one some more. I'm a huge fan of Stone but this one has to be my least favorite of their offerings to date.

2.93/5  rDev -22.3%

I was happy to find this one on a road trip but it ended up being a bit of a disappointment. Pours a clear, bright orange color with a thin white head. Aroma is a bit stingy with oranges, perfume and an assortment of spices. The mouthfeel on this is very tart, tangy and slightly dry. The strongest flavors are oranges and coriander, with lots of spices (ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg), some lemon, and light fragrant hopping thrown in there. Interesting but the flavors just don't work for me. Halfway through the bomber I was sick of it. Not an awful beer but it is the worst Stone product I have had so far. Maybe I should have waited until "sometime after December 12th, 2012."

2.94/5  rDev -22%

Head on this golden ale disappears almost instantly. Given its age, I am not too surprised. I tried to pour gently but still managed to land some of the yeast beasts into our Teku glasses.

Syrup, honey and white grape notes predominate. A bit of ginger and citrus pith. A bit of creaminess but maintains dryness in the finish. Carbonation is crisp and tight; it feels really good on the palate. I wish a bit more fruit character would come out and play with the delightful carbonation. Medium to medium-full body.

Overall this is an interesting beer that I held onto for almost six years. I'm guess a year younger might have actually been its prime time as there is a hint of oxidization. This maybe would have been best for a 08.08.08 or 09.09.09 release? Some of the fruit and spice notes have been mellowed out too much in the aging process without much else to give way.

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Oh man, this was good. Had this in their 22 oz bottle and man was this good. A great murky amber appearance a thin to medium head. Very well carbonated, I can hear the fizzing. The smell alluring: thick fruity malt aromas with big hints of spice and sugars. The taste had a wicked good, smooth aftertaste. Pretty sweet and dragged out flavors. A fizzing carbonation, like previously mentioned, helped make this pretty refreshing but please enjoy this beer without a meal; it should be enjoyed all on its own. Very nice.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

22oz brown bomber, bottle conditioned.
Served cellar temp in a Duvel glass.
Poured a bright gold. Plenty of big bubbled carbonation. Head dissipated quickly. Deep malt aroma, with some Belgian spice as well as some other hard to pin down spice, a little bubblegum as well.

Full bodied with lots of malt sweetness. Some spice from the yeast as well some other subtle spice flavors (ginger?) There is a slight hoppiness in the middle. Nice mouthfeel. Some warming from the alcohol. Quite drinkable even on a hot summer day. Nice American interpretation of a Belgian style.

My first Vertical Epic. Didn't really knock my socks off, but I enjoyed it.
I plan on saving a bottle for at least a year.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

A: gold/copper, little haze or head

S: ginger, cardamom, citrus, spice. Reminds me of a Christmas beer.

T: Again, a lot of ginger, cardamom, citrus, etc. Ginger stir fry in a bottle. Really interesting, unusual brew. The only other beer I can recall boasting of ginger is Dogfish Pangea.

M: Medium body, not a lot of carbonation.

D: Very good, but I wouldn't want a ton of it at once.

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber into my New Belgium globe glass. Reviewed on 7/7/07.

A: Pours a deep golden amber color. Not a lot of head and it recedes quickly.

S: Lots of great smells; fruit, spices, and yeast.

T: This thing is like a tripel on steroids. Lots of fruit up front in the form of grapefruit, orange, and apricot. The spices are up next; lots of citrus peel and more prominent spices. All of the tripel flavors that you would typically find but in typical Stone style, they are more amplified. Very flavorful and complex yet at the same time it's still refreshing.

M: Full bodied, a bit thick, light carbonation.

D: I enjoyed the hell out of this beer. I've got another bottle that I'm going to age until 12/12/12 and I'm very interested to see how this thing will change with time. I sure did like it fresh. It's very flavorful and delicious. Another excellent brew from Stone.

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

Dark, orangish brown with a small head which retain very well. Smells creamy, sweet fruits, banana, slight alcohol odor. The taste is sweet, spicy and a bit peppery. The mouthfeel is a bit thick, well carbonated and leaves a sweet coating on the inside of the mouth. This is very well balanced and easy to sip on but a bit of an overload to the senses if overconsumed.

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a medium amber. head was several fingers and seemed to be slightly pink in color. The head left a thin layer on the top of the beer that lasted the entire time. Aroma smells earthy, with touches of lemon and white chocolate. Taste reminded me of gingerbread, slightly spiced. Felt good in the mouth, not to sticky, and just slighly carbonated in the mouth. Very easily drinkable, didn't notice the alcohol until too late. Was slightly warming which was nice.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.