Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

good

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

A clear light orange colored beer, Inch and a half foamy white colored head faded over about two minutes. Carbonation in very average streams. Watery sheet of lace.

Apple and plum fruit aromas abound. Malt is faint behind the fruitiness, but has a yeasty scent attached to it. A strong alcohol profile pops strongly on the nostrils.

Apple presence transfers nicely from the scent to the taste, but leaves the plums behind. A spiced, mostly pepper, flavor also is quite pronounced. Warming alcohol taste.

Nice thickness on the tongue. A carbonation effect slightly above normal, but not unpleasant.

A very decent choice. Nice beer to pair with seafood pasta dish. Cheers to Stone for another winner in the series. A beer almost everyone can find enjoyable.

RedChrome, Nov 07, 2007
3.2/5  rDev -15.1%

Pours a nice copper color with an effervescent appearance and a fizzy white head. Some lacing left. Aroma is very Belgian-ish. Some fruity and malty smells are coming thru. Taste is bold, but too many flavors are running through my mouth. Sweet maltiness, with the typical Belgian banana spice flavor. Hops are slightly noticeable as a grassy presence. Not light and fizzy on the mouth like I thought it would be. The label indicates that the inpiration is from Saisons and Golden Trippels. I think it was a decent beer overall, especially for an American interpretation of a Belgian beer. But I still prefer my Saison DuPont.

domtronzero, Sep 22, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

goalie33, Dec 13, 2012

Geuzedad, Jun 23, 2013

22 oz bottle.

Deep golden with a spritzy head.

Aroma is fruity, apple, banana, peppery, ginger. Light notes of cardamom spice.

Ginger and cardamom are prominent in the flavor with light notes of citrus peel.

Finishes a bit sweet, and the ginger and cardamom are a bit heavy for my liking right now, we’ll see how it ages out.

Padron4KM, Jul 02, 2007

A: Stunning blonde color and crystal clear. a white frothy head is extracted upon pouring. Looks delicious.

S: The aroma is very upfront and complex. Honey, spice, citrus, and many other interesting aromas are present.

T: Wonderful layers of flavors work their magic on your pallete. honey, citrus, pale malt, and overall yumminess are all present.

M: Light body with a low carbonation. Compliments the flavors well.

D: Great brew at a great value. Big flavor, very drinkable,, and well worth the $6.50 for the bomber.

Avagadro, Aug 16, 2007
4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

My first in the "Epic" series. Pours somewhat hazy orange. Head was not too impressive nor was the retention, no lacing. Smell is dead-on for what a Belgian should smell like. Apple, pear, bread, yeast, and a touch of citrus (Stones signature I think). Smell is great. Taste is very good as well thoough I should note I'm partial to Belgians. Sweetness hits you up front then you notice fruity characteristics on the sides of your tounge followed by a warm, slightly bitter sensation on the back of your tounge. Carbonation is moderate and mouthfeel is medium, not too thick or thin. Overall a great beer, alcohol content is well masked and a great Belgian from the boys in Escondido.

bunnyhustle, Mar 03, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

A- Nice hazy deep gold; decent white head; yeast particles are visible throughout.

S- Typical Belgian aroma; cloves are predominant; it's not sweet and is kind of saison-like; some good citrusy aromas show themselves as the beer warms (orange and lime).

T- Cloves to start, than a whole lot of herbal hops; the hops mingle with some malt sweetness and the beer finishes dry a with a touch of bitterness; some alcohol is also present. The flavors don't really mesh here. It really needs more malt flavor.

M- Decent medium body with a nice carbonation level.

D- Not bad, although the alcohol is a little high. I'll stick to one bomber.

Certainly not my favorite from Stone. The flavor's just not doing it for me. However, I suppose the beer was designed to age for a few years, so here's hoping that will improve it. As it stands it's just ok, but hopefully a few years in the cellar will smooth things out.

vtfan77, Jul 02, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

Aroma is very spicy, a combo of yeast esters and added spices. I get the ginger that's described on the bottle and some citrus too that could be the citrus peel but also some American hops. Underneath is nice malt aromas with some crystal malt nose. There is a very slight belgian "funk" to go in there too.

Golden with lots of big rising carbonation bubbles but a pretty small rocky head fades to not much head at all.

First sip is very malty sweet. Lots of honey flavor. Later sips as it warms up is more spicy. I really get a bunch of citrus, more like candied peel than bitter rind. Aftertaste is pretty much dominated by the ginger. The flavors aren't really well blended, each stands out pretty much. But the beer is intended to be aged so maybe they will begin to blend with time in the bottle. Right now I find it all a little too much to concentrate on and so harder to enjoy.

Medium to full bodied which hides the strength. Very rough carbonation level that acts to cleanse the palate making it seem even lighter.

Interesting fresh. Not among my favorites right now but I've got my stash for the long haul.

czechsaaz, Jul 12, 2007
3.38/5  rDev -10.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

An amber to golden color with quater inch thick white colored head. This dissolves away slowly, to form a thin film on top. The malt is at the front of the aroma, followed by a sweet citrus fragrance, not like grapefruit, more like an orange scent. There is a light gerassy fragrance coming out at the end. The malt rolls right in on the palate, that flavor blends itself to a sweet citrusiness that last till the end, also has bit of ginger flavor as well. A medium bodied feel, there is a foaming sensation of carbonation midway, and a mild burn of alchol in the throat. This beer has been aging for about eleven months, I have another one aging as well. It has alot beligian characteristics of fruitiness and sweet spices, but the unpleasant feel brings it down.

cameraman, Aug 20, 2008

Had on the Total Tap Takeover Tour at Rattle n Hum in NYC. It was served in a flute glass.

Look: greenish, golden with a little haze and a little orange with a thick white head. It left lots of lace behind.

Smell: lots of spice in here along with some grapefruity hops. You can also smell the yeast.

Taste: very hoppy, which surprised me since its been aging for 3 years now. Lemon and orange flavors come out through the hoppiness.

Feel: light in body. Very crisp because the carbonation is pretty high.

Drink: very drinkable. If I didn't want to try everything on the tap list, I would've had a few rounds of this with no problem.

Overall, a good beer worth a try. In my limited experience with Belgians, I'd say this is a decent Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

SkunkWorks, Oct 04, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Golden hazy and highly effervescent. Voluminous head disappated into a small lace of bubbles clinging to my goblet .
Aroma is of pears, ginger, rum and quince.
Tastes of coriander and spice
Light bodied and crisp. Very clean tasting beer.
While I did enjoy this beer, it certainly wasn't my favorite vertical beers from stone.

deanhead, Apr 02, 2009
2.98/5  rDev -21%

Pour: dirty orange with a modest white head on top. The smell is heavy on the spice; ginger, coriander...definitely reminds me of a saison in certain ways as well.

Flavour, very sweet and spicy up front...the ginger and coriander from the nose is prominent, but it is complimented by a sweet maltiness, almost bordering on sugary. Light citrus is also present, not in a hoppy way though, just a touch of zing. A bit of banana as well. This becomes increasingly abrasive as it warms though, and the spices become absolutely overwhelming near room temperature. The score I'm giving it here is an average of the good score that it had when it was still cold, and the bad score that it had once it was warmer.

Mouthfeel, full but not over the top, plenty of carbonation, some tongue bitter. Drinkability, about as good as you could expect for such an intense spice flavour, which is to say, not that good. I would expect this to improve as it ages.

The bottom line: if you like highly spiced, Saison/Belgian Pale style ales, then this is worth checking out. I think age will improve the spice depth here and allow the individual flavours to come out more, but for the present, this beer is strongly on the abrasive side, particularly once it warms, and I would recommend letting it age for a bit (a year or two?) before cracking the bottle.

CortexBomb, Sep 30, 2007
3.28/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Absolutely loved the 08. Found a few of these in a nameless liquor store and was very happy about it.

Very dull orange color. White head.

Smells of spices over oranges. Very unique, oddly pleasing. I've never smelled anything like it.

I get a big bite of cloves, which happens to be one of the few spices I can identify, and bananas. There is definitely more going on though. Spicy, fruity.

Pretty damn thick fluid too. After a glass or two, the spices become just too damn overbearing. Decreasing the enjoyment considerably. This is a one cup wonder.

Overall: I have some extra for trade

PatronWizard, Oct 27, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

I'm almost a full two months late in reviewing this one!

07.07.07 is a beautiful orange, well carbonated, and headed only minimally. Aromas of cinnamon-spice and alcohol, both of which stand out in the taste as well. The flavor is a jumble of non-distinct spices, a dry middle, and a strong alcohol bite in the finish.

I like the heftiness of this beer across the tongue; the spices have a nice interplay that reveals slightly different combinations of sweet and dry in each sip; unfortunately, it's hard to know what flavors are at the root of those impressions. The alcohol finish detracts from the overall impression and makes this a sipping beer.

Too strong for a saison, too spicy for a golden, 07.07.07 is an innovative hybrid that may be just a tad too forward and jumbled to really be anything at all. Mixing those two styles, I would have hoped for something that better balanced the spiciness of a saison with the sweet finish and (well-masked) strength of a Belgian golden beer.

Worth a look, but only one.

benito, Sep 08, 2007
3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Tasted today on 07.07.07.

Poured into my tulip glass. Pours golden straw color with a thin white head that disappears.

Smells of belgian yest and spices. Clove? Nutmeg? Cinnamin? I don't know for sure, I'm not quite good at this yet.

Taste is strong spice, coriander. Might be a little hot right now with strong spices, but I liked it. Not everyone else in my group did.

Moutfeel is bubble, duvel like. Toward the end looses carbonation becomes very sweet and strong mouthfeel

genog, Jul 08, 2007
3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

bomber in tulip glass

A: Dark gold color with a thin white head, crystal clear.
S: Spicy with a rich malt smell.
T&M: The belgian spiciness definitely comes through. I can't figure out if it is a yeast spiciness or actual spices like coriander. Highly carbed and rich, must have a ton of malt. Virtually no hint of hops.
D: This is an interesting take on the "style" but I can't figure it out. In the end, I think I prefer a more traditional belgian. Recommended if the price is right or someone else is buying. I would be curious to see how this ages but I don't think I will buy another just to cellar it.

wspscott, Nov 02, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Crystal clear with a 1 finger white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. Small carbonation buttles rise from the center of my oversized wine glass with the occasional larger bubble rising from offcenter. The second glass was a translucent murky orange-brown.

The aroma of bright citrus wafts from the bottle, and after a hard pour, a very yeasty start--like proofing yeast for bread. This was followed quickly by some light metallics, then bubblegum, before morphing into overripe citrus, and finally apple in the end. Spicy Belgian yeast carries throughout.

The taste is almost vinuous at first. Rather dry with some tart citrus. Cardomom is eviedent, and the bite of ginger as well. The second glass tasted much sweeter on the first swallow, but settled down immediately. The saisson parentage is indicated by a definite earthiness. The bitterness of citrus peel was present here also.

Rather light in the first glass, with a nice bite of carbonation/ginger. By the second glas, the carbonation was gone...the bite was all ginger, and the feel was thicker. Oddly, the first glass seemed to leave more of a syrupy feel on the tongue. Very warming.

The carbonation was a bit light, and not surprisingly. The beer is over 5 1/2 years old. Still, it's held up well. It's very tasty and satisfying. Worthy of another purchase. But alas, it was only brewed once. I'll have to resort to the homebrew version.

obywan59, Mar 05, 2013

vma, Sep 22, 2014

Jstark5150, Nov 19, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Twenty two ounce brown bottle.

Burnished gold colour, clear. Thin white head leaves some spotty lace on the glass.

Spicy nose - cardamom leaps out.

The spices control this beer. Cardamom and subtle notes of ginger. Hints of citrus lead to an off dry finish and slight warming of the throat.

Medium-full bodied, moderate carbonation.

Over spiced and under attenuated. Really kind of one dimensional.

xgrigorix, Sep 29, 2007

hawkmage, Dec 31, 2011
3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

I gotta say, I love me some transmogrification. A + B definitely equals more then a C.

Pours a nice golden color. Foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly. Very sweet and citrusy nose.

Very very sweet 1st taste. it is spicy at the end, but the sweetness definitely carries. Mostly malt, with hints of honey. There is a definite tartness in the aftertaste, not sure how to classify it. Spicy, has some kick and the alcohol adds a kick and a chewy mouth feel.

Decent body, pretty good tastes makes this worth a try. Interested to see how this ages

PSUDREW, Jul 30, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm WEAK.... I know... I originally intended to cellar this for 5 years and taste it just as the label advises.... drink this in sequence with the other Vertical Epic selections from Stone on or about 12/12/2012.

But alas.... I'M WEAK.... Every time I would open my beer fridge, it would smile back at me, knowing that I wouldn't last the 5 plus years. So today, I caved.

I poured this into an oversized wine glass to produce a 1/2" head of off-white foam. This quickly disappeared to a thin cap leaving no lacing. The color is quite interesting.... almost a peachy orange with rose highlights. Just a little cloudy.

The smell reminded me of the few Belgians, I've had.... sweet malty with fruity/yeasty undertones.

The taste: Wow! Rather complex.... let's see if I can break this down.... initially, the typical Belgian tastes appear... like sweet malt, and fruity (plums and peaches) tastes prevail. Then, right at the finish, there's a little BITE....citrus fruit peel (orange and lemon).

Mouthfeel: Quite fizzy, like most Belgians... only maybe a bit less-so (which is good in my opinion). Good aftertaste, and mouthcoating.

Drinkability: Well, I've finished the only bomber I had.... I wonder if I'll try to score the other Vertical Epic series beers (and try them as recommended on or about 12/12/2012)? I've never considered patience as a strong suit for me.... I doubt that I could buy a beer and let it sit for 5 years.... but, we'll see.... people change... beers change...

TheBierBand, Oct 23, 2007

jerz, Nov 18, 2011
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.