Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

(Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
SkunkWorks

Had on the Total Tap Takeover Tour at Rattle n Hum in NYC. It was served in a flute glass.

Look: greenish, golden with a little haze and a little orange with a thick white head. It left lots of lace behind.

Smell: lots of spice in here along with some grapefruity hops. You can also smell the yeast.

Taste: very hoppy, which surprised me since its been aging for 3 years now. Lemon and orange flavors come out through the hoppiness.

Feel: light in body. Very crisp because the carbonation is pretty high.

Drink: very drinkable. If I didn't want to try everything on the tap list, I would've had a few rounds of this with no problem.

Overall, a good beer worth a try. In my limited experience with Belgians, I'd say this is a decent Belgian Strong Pale Ale.

10-04-2010 13:00:12 | More by SkunkWorks
CortexBomb

2.98/5  rDev -21%

Pour: dirty orange with a modest white head on top. The smell is heavy on the spice; ginger, coriander...definitely reminds me of a saison in certain ways as well.

Flavour, very sweet and spicy up front...the ginger and coriander from the nose is prominent, but it is complimented by a sweet maltiness, almost bordering on sugary. Light citrus is also present, not in a hoppy way though, just a touch of zing. A bit of banana as well. This becomes increasingly abrasive as it warms though, and the spices become absolutely overwhelming near room temperature. The score I'm giving it here is an average of the good score that it had when it was still cold, and the bad score that it had once it was warmer.

Mouthfeel, full but not over the top, plenty of carbonation, some tongue bitter. Drinkability, about as good as you could expect for such an intense spice flavour, which is to say, not that good. I would expect this to improve as it ages.

The bottom line: if you like highly spiced, Saison/Belgian Pale style ales, then this is worth checking out. I think age will improve the spice depth here and allow the individual flavours to come out more, but for the present, this beer is strongly on the abrasive side, particularly once it warms, and I would recommend letting it age for a bit (a year or two?) before cracking the bottle.

09-30-2007 03:06:07 | More by CortexBomb
PatronWizard

3.28/5  rDev -13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Absolutely loved the 08. Found a few of these in a nameless liquor store and was very happy about it.

Very dull orange color. White head.

Smells of spices over oranges. Very unique, oddly pleasing. I've never smelled anything like it.

I get a big bite of cloves, which happens to be one of the few spices I can identify, and bananas. There is definitely more going on though. Spicy, fruity.

Pretty damn thick fluid too. After a glass or two, the spices become just too damn overbearing. Decreasing the enjoyment considerably. This is a one cup wonder.

Overall: I have some extra for trade

10-27-2008 02:10:24 | More by PatronWizard
benito

Oregon

3.35/5  rDev -11.1%

I'm almost a full two months late in reviewing this one!

07.07.07 is a beautiful orange, well carbonated, and headed only minimally. Aromas of cinnamon-spice and alcohol, both of which stand out in the taste as well. The flavor is a jumble of non-distinct spices, a dry middle, and a strong alcohol bite in the finish.

I like the heftiness of this beer across the tongue; the spices have a nice interplay that reveals slightly different combinations of sweet and dry in each sip; unfortunately, it's hard to know what flavors are at the root of those impressions. The alcohol finish detracts from the overall impression and makes this a sipping beer.

Too strong for a saison, too spicy for a golden, 07.07.07 is an innovative hybrid that may be just a tad too forward and jumbled to really be anything at all. Mixing those two styles, I would have hoped for something that better balanced the spiciness of a saison with the sweet finish and (well-masked) strength of a Belgian golden beer.

Worth a look, but only one.

09-08-2007 00:12:41 | More by benito
deanhead

Vermont

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Golden hazy and highly effervescent. Voluminous head disappated into a small lace of bubbles clinging to my goblet .
Aroma is of pears, ginger, rum and quince.
Tastes of coriander and spice
Light bodied and crisp. Very clean tasting beer.
While I did enjoy this beer, it certainly wasn't my favorite vertical beers from stone.

04-01-2009 23:57:09 | More by deanhead
genog

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Tasted today on 07.07.07.

Poured into my tulip glass. Pours golden straw color with a thin white head that disappears.

Smells of belgian yest and spices. Clove? Nutmeg? Cinnamin? I don't know for sure, I'm not quite good at this yet.

Taste is strong spice, coriander. Might be a little hot right now with strong spices, but I liked it. Not everyone else in my group did.

Moutfeel is bubble, duvel like. Toward the end looses carbonation becomes very sweet and strong mouthfeel

07-07-2007 23:35:33 | More by genog
goalie33

4.5/5  rDev +19.4%

12-13-2012 02:27:20 | More by goalie33
wspscott

Kentucky

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

bomber in tulip glass

A: Dark gold color with a thin white head, crystal clear.
S: Spicy with a rich malt smell.
T&M: The belgian spiciness definitely comes through. I can't figure out if it is a yeast spiciness or actual spices like coriander. Highly carbed and rich, must have a ton of malt. Virtually no hint of hops.
D: This is an interesting take on the "style" but I can't figure it out. In the end, I think I prefer a more traditional belgian. Recommended if the price is right or someone else is buying. I would be curious to see how this ages but I don't think I will buy another just to cellar it.

11-02-2007 01:50:50 | More by wspscott
Jstark5150

11-19-2011 06:56:20 | More by Jstark5150
xgrigorix

3.25/5  rDev -13.8%

Twenty two ounce brown bottle.

Burnished gold colour, clear. Thin white head leaves some spotty lace on the glass.

Spicy nose - cardamom leaps out.

The spices control this beer. Cardamom and subtle notes of ginger. Hints of citrus lead to an off dry finish and slight warming of the throat.

Medium-full bodied, moderate carbonation.

Over spiced and under attenuated. Really kind of one dimensional.

09-29-2007 16:01:50 | More by xgrigorix
hawkmage

12-31-2011 17:26:41 | More by hawkmage
PSUDREW

3.33/5  rDev -11.7%

I gotta say, I love me some transmogrification. A + B definitely equals more then a C.

Pours a nice golden color. Foamy head that dissipates pretty quickly. Very sweet and citrusy nose.

Very very sweet 1st taste. it is spicy at the end, but the sweetness definitely carries. Mostly malt, with hints of honey. There is a definite tartness in the aftertaste, not sure how to classify it. Spicy, has some kick and the alcohol adds a kick and a chewy mouth feel.

Decent body, pretty good tastes makes this worth a try. Interested to see how this ages

07-30-2007 03:06:47 | More by PSUDREW
obywan59

3.98/5  rDev +5.6%

Crystal clear with a 1 finger white head that dissipates quickly leaving no lacing. Small carbonation buttles rise from the center of my oversized wine glass with the occasional larger bubble rising from offcenter. The second glass was a translucent murky orange-brown.

The aroma of bright citrus wafts from the bottle, and after a hard pour, a very yeasty start--like proofing yeast for bread. This was followed quickly by some light metallics, then bubblegum, before morphing into overripe citrus, and finally apple in the end. Spicy Belgian yeast carries throughout.

The taste is almost vinuous at first. Rather dry with some tart citrus. Cardomom is eviedent, and the bite of ginger as well. The second glass tasted much sweeter on the first swallow, but settled down immediately. The saisson parentage is indicated by a definite earthiness. The bitterness of citrus peel was present here also.

Rather light in the first glass, with a nice bite of carbonation/ginger. By the second glas, the carbonation was gone...the bite was all ginger, and the feel was thicker. Oddly, the first glass seemed to leave more of a syrupy feel on the tongue. Very warming.

The carbonation was a bit light, and not surprisingly. The beer is over 5 1/2 years old. Still, it's held up well. It's very tasty and satisfying. Worthy of another purchase. But alas, it was only brewed once. I'll have to resort to the homebrew version.

03-05-2013 04:14:31 | More by obywan59
TheBierBand

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%

I'm WEAK.... I know... I originally intended to cellar this for 5 years and taste it just as the label advises.... drink this in sequence with the other Vertical Epic selections from Stone on or about 12/12/2012.

But alas.... I'M WEAK.... Every time I would open my beer fridge, it would smile back at me, knowing that I wouldn't last the 5 plus years. So today, I caved.

I poured this into an oversized wine glass to produce a 1/2" head of off-white foam. This quickly disappeared to a thin cap leaving no lacing. The color is quite interesting.... almost a peachy orange with rose highlights. Just a little cloudy.

The smell reminded me of the few Belgians, I've had.... sweet malty with fruity/yeasty undertones.

The taste: Wow! Rather complex.... let's see if I can break this down.... initially, the typical Belgian tastes appear... like sweet malt, and fruity (plums and peaches) tastes prevail. Then, right at the finish, there's a little BITE....citrus fruit peel (orange and lemon).

Mouthfeel: Quite fizzy, like most Belgians... only maybe a bit less-so (which is good in my opinion). Good aftertaste, and mouthcoating.

Drinkability: Well, I've finished the only bomber I had.... I wonder if I'll try to score the other Vertical Epic series beers (and try them as recommended on or about 12/12/2012)? I've never considered patience as a strong suit for me.... I doubt that I could buy a beer and let it sit for 5 years.... but, we'll see.... people change... beers change...

10-23-2007 20:24:11 | More by TheBierBand
jerz

11-18-2011 05:16:54 | More by jerz
josefnewsong

12-04-2011 05:19:29 | More by josefnewsong
xav33

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale
22oz bomber
Moderate pour in a chalice.
Recent brewing, enjoyed 07/07

Poured a clear amber brown with a moderate fizzy mostly diminishing white head.

Smelt of strong tutti frutti with moderate oranges, sweet cake, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, anise. Smells like a very sweet shiny sweet bread. Lots of fun spices happening here!

Taste was upfront strong sweet bread and oranges and moderate bitter spices and caramel bread followed by more of the same, but with an accent on the bitter kick of spices.

Palate was medium bodied, creamy and velvety, softly carbonated, lightly astringent and moderately alcoholic.

Overall, this is a great beer to smell. Stone is having fun with this beer and it shows. A little rough looking and rough on the palate though. Not enough thick fluffy rocky belgian head and too viscous on the palate. Very interesting hybrid nonetheless!

07-13-2007 18:17:51 | More by xav33
jdubjacket

Georgia

4.18/5  rDev +10.9%

Cracked a bottle of this open last night. Pours a copper orange with almost no head. Smell is primarily citrus with a mixture of spices blended in. Taste starts off very similar to a witte beer and finishes with a complex number including grapefruit, spices, and malt. I was hoping for a little more carbonation in the beer, but it suffices. Overall, another fantastic offering from Stone.

01-25-2009 22:09:22 | More by jdubjacket
RockyTopHeel

4.3/5  rDev +14.1%

Deep golden in color with a thin white head. Aroma of cloves, nutmeg, coriander, maybe a touch of ginger, and other spices mixing with farmhouse sour yeast, citrus, clean herbal hops and sweet Belgian sugar.

Complex on the tongue -- more spices, more sugar, more yeast, more sour, and tangy alcohol in a tart, clean, potent brew. Deliciously balanced, with a nice crisp kick of hops and some alcoholic warmth as well as some astringency and tartness.

This is a winner. If only I could buy it at home...

02-03-2008 23:53:16 | More by RockyTopHeel
bosco7

4.25/5  rDev +12.7%

It's 7/7/07 and I am excited. Poured into a snifter.

Beautiful deep golden color with pillowy white head.

Smells of green apple, lemon, some musty/earthy barn notes, a touch of vanilla.

Starts with some caramel and orange blossom honey and then works is way into brighter honeydew, lemon pulp and orange rind estery flavors. Finishes with spicy hops, earthy yeast flavor and some heat from the alcohol. Assertive bitterness.

Slight syrupy mouthfeel with some carbonation bite that cleanses the palate. Overall an excellent brew that should age gracefully.

07-08-2007 04:16:47 | More by bosco7

01-31-2013 01:36:39 | More by RandyBoBandy
trappistlover

Arizona

3.58/5  rDev -5%

(22oz bottle from AJ’s Via Linda). Pours hazy organge-yellow or apricot color with moderate white head. Decent carbonation. Aroma is ginger, orange, lemon, spices, and rock candy. Taste is sweet with a slight sour twang. Light hops on the end. Thin to medium bodied. Slick texture and smooth, alcohol warming finish. Not bad at all and it held up better than I expected.

06-06-2011 04:27:31 | More by trappistlover
muchloveforhops3

Oregon

01-23-2013 05:06:47 | More by muchloveforhops3
dreadnatty08

District of Columbia

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Pours a perfectly medium straw/golden color. As this wasn't a full bottle pour, it is very clear through with a good half inch pillowy white head, very Belgian-like so far. Wow, aroma really reminds me of my own homebrewed saison, lots of Belgian funk, wow I wonder if they used the same yeast strain! Quite a bit of spice in the nose as well, some wheat notes, a faint citrus. On the palate, it really spreads out. The saison like flavors hit you first with some herbal hop notes, a lot of crystal malts and finishes more like a tripel with high alcohol/sweet malt notes. You can still taste the American in this beer much like all American Belgian versions. It still has the cleanness and the finish is vaguely pale ale like. Still, this is an interesting and unusual beer. It seems previous verticals have been better, but since this is my first, I look forward to trying the rest.

01-31-2008 19:25:54 | More by dreadnatty08
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.