Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale | Stone Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
Read the review

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co.
California, United States | website

Style: Belgian Strong Pale Ale

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!

Added by taez555 on 06-19-2007

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Reviews: 382 | Ratings: 575
2.06/5  rDev -45.5%

I must preface this review by saying that Stone is probably my favourite brewery. The Ruination and Bastards are extremely well made beers; beers that I've converted BPR drinkers with. So, I expected allot from the Vertical Epic.

I poured it from a 1pt 6ox bottle into this nifty Samuel Smith pint glass (try to find one, they're nice). The colour was nice, looked on par for the style.

The smell was kind of, well, blah. There was spice, and alcohol. I couldn't make much out of it.

The taste and mouth feel were awkward. It felt thin, and hot. The alcohol was very forward, as were the spices. It also had an over "sour" taste, like it had been chilled, warmed, and then chilled again. It wasn't the clean taste I'd come to expect from Stone.

Maybe I just got a bad batch, but I expected much more.

3.72/5  rDev -1.6%

I drank this 22oz beer out of one of the new fandangled Sam Adams pint glasses.

The first taste i thought "oh great another ginger ale." Then as i tasted it more i focused on the Saison character and citrus notes. Pretty nice. Not as good as 6-6-6 though.

When it warms up to room temperature it gets a buttery nose and a quite intense ginger flavor.

I assume this ginger will mellow as it ages.

4.33/5  rDev +14.6%

A wonderful choice for the hot summer evening after work sitting by the pool when I enjoyed mine. Poured a very attractive deep golden color into my glass with a small head that thinned quickly to a light film on the top. I wasn't blown away by the aroma, but the taste was delightful. Lots of spice right off the top, but a well balanced finish. Little to no lacing left behind in the glass. Felt wonderfully smooth in my mouth and really was a great way to finish this very hot summer day. I'm not sure how this beer really conforms to the styles it claims to be inspired by, but I enjoyed this beer very much and I will be anxious to see how the others I bought age over time — provided I can keep from drinking them.

3.38/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured this beer into a Tulip at about 50-55 degrees.

Pours an amber color with about 1 inch of head which dissipates fairly quickly.

Nose reminds me of candy apples.

Taste: Hebal, orangeskin fruitiness with a malty undertone. I sense a drying finish.

Overall this is a decent beer and a nice take on a classic Belgian style. I am interested to see how this one ages and looking forward to another review in 5 years.

4.03/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured on october 17th '9 from a 22 oz bottled on 7/7/'7.

Pours a creamy gold with white head. Effervescent bubbles remain at least 20 min.

The smell of the bottle upon opening is like a dry white wine with mint on top and caramel beneath. When poured the hops open up and present a huge array of citrus and herbal scents with the slight mint still present. Nice dusty hop aroma as it warms up.

Tastes deliciously chewy and complex; really grips the mouth.
Definite pine and mint notes with light citrus hints, mostly grapefruit.

This is a pleasure in the mouth. The alcohol feels suspended in the round body. Coats the back of the throat in a tingly dryness.

Pretty drinkable; strong with the alcohol well covered but there was a heavy mintiness for me that may have been unique to this bottle.

4.78/5  rDev +26.5%

The Bottle- it is a big ole pints worth of exceptional beer from an extra ordinary brewery that Stone Brewing Company is.

The pour- pours out like any good ole Belgian style beer should like a Trappist with its massive mushrooming head, and deep golden color into any style chalice glass like Chimay with its maelstrom center of spiraling bubbles typical of any Belgian style ale.

Smell- smells like mowed grass on a cool spring day in may.

Taste- holy moely where do you begin, well on the front of the tongue get a big taste of citrus that fades quickly into an effervesce of a tonic and lime or in this case lemon. Which ends in a complex mix of alcohol and tannins that make for a rather refreshing drink so long as you drink it slowly. There is no need to rush this it will be with you for a very long time.

Drink ability- very drinkable just take you time with the best of time and the worst of times.

firstprev| 326-350 | 351-375 | 376-400  | next → last
Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.