Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic AleStone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

Belgian Strong Pale Ale |  8.40% ABV

Beer added by: taez555 on 06-19-2007

In this year’s edition we took our inspiration from two Belgian styles: Saisons and Golden Triples. As such, the Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic has a deep, deep golden hue and the flavor is spicy, fruity, complex and refreshing. We used four different malts, and a subtle, yet distinct, blend of Glacier and Crystal hops to get just the right balance. Then, for the complexity, we added in some exotic spices --- including ginger, cardamom, grapefruit peel, lemon peel and orange peel (the latter three acknowledging our Southern California home) --- and a special Belgian yeast strain. All in all this is yet another case of us drawing from classic Belgian influences and cavalierly making it our own...San Diego style!
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale Alström Bros
4.52/5  rDev +19.9%

First had this on tap at the OBF, but for a variety of reasons couldn't do a review based on that (palate overload being the primary one). However, if anything the bottled version is even more impressive, which is what I had the other night.

Pours a rich, honey gold color, with creamy looking head and great lacing. The beer has a very complex nose, funky nose, with honey, butter, ginger and possibly even coriandor all intermingled. In other words, this beer smells fantastic. On the palate the beer is every bit as good. This is a big, almost viscous beer, with flavors of honey, cherry and ginger. It's pretty sweet, and the beer comes across as very, very rich, with a very long lasting, rich smooth finish. Just delicious. The abv. is noticeable, but is not the least bit obtrusive. However, given the abv. and sweetness of the, a little bit of this goes a long way.

A very impressive effort from the talented folks at Stone.

Edit from 3/15/13. Tasted recently during a vertical epic event at Pacific Coast Brewing. Unlike other recent reviews of this beer, I was impressed by how well this beer has held up. I got considerable tropical fruit, citrus (tangerine) and light butter, and I was frankly amazed by how tasty and rich this beer still was. Granted, my current score was no where as high as what I gave it back in 2007, but nevertheless, this beer has held up very well, and was a very tasty beer. There was even still some hoppy bitterness in the finish.

2.5/5  rDev -33.7%

3.05/5  rDev -19.1%

Bottle poured at Canal St Brewphoria 9. Served into a 5 ounce sampler.

A: Hazy and cloudy golden orange with a nice sized fluffy, rocky white head. Touches of lacing are left on the glass, and the dissipation although rapid, leaves a moderate cap behind.

S: Peppermint, clove, ginger, cinnamon and very floral aromas. There's really no hop bitterness, the floral component is more pollen-like and peppery in a way. There's a lot going on here, a bit chaotic at times but it certainly will be an interesting beer to try.

T: Whoa, lots of sweet and sugary ginger and peppermint flavors up front. The palate is dominated by these, helped only by some yeast esters and Belgian spice mid-palate. The finish is sweet, cloying and sticky. Eh, this is okay, doesn't show any signs of oxidation but I couldn't drink more than a sample of this. Just a bit over the top with some really weird flavors.

M: Creamy, medium-bodied with light touches of bubbles on the tongue. Again, somewhat sticky in the finish but not a bad feel by any means.

It wasn't necessarily a gross beer but it's nothing I'd want again nor more than a few ounces of. The flavor profile went on a tangent and never came back. Sweet, gingery and minty, kind of odd but I'm glad I was able to sample this one.

3.61/5  rDev -4.2%

22oz bottle purchased as a single from Julio's, Marlboro, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, wow, 5" of foam over 1" of beer. Transitions back to beer nicely, but takes awhile. White froth laces the glass excellently over the clear dark golden brew. Aroma is sweet and spicy, but also seems tinged of soap. Taste starts sweet as well, zings with some citrus zest, and then mellows toward the close with moderate spicing, and closes with acceptable levels of warmth. Mouthfeel is maybe a bit flat, but that's not surprising with the foamy start, with drinkability that is reasonable as well. Not wowed by this one, but seems to have the room and character that may improve. Have to check again later.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

4.12/5  rDev +9.3%

from notes:

A: Pours a clear golden orange color. Labeled as a "Golden triple/saison" hybrid at 8.4%.

S: Big lemon peel on nose with some fruitiness and lots of ginger.

T: Flavor is sour oranges and apples, caramel malt, citrus, and ginger spicing. Palate is dry and full of ripe fruit and dry floral hops. There is some sweet candi sugar and dried apricot hints as well.

M: The texture is slick and slippery on the tongue.

D: Overall a decent brew that would of probably come off better with aging and without the label or comparison to the authentic Belgian styles golden triple and sasion.

3.3/5  rDev -12.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Edit Cellar Review from 2/15/13:

Still hazy orange brew... great retention and lacing...

Nose is a big boned BSPA with too much residual spicing and sweetness .. citrus zest and cardamom are still the big players.. but much more integrated than my 1st review.

Flavor is still very sweet.. and the "sweet spices" only bloom an out of bounds brew.. Belgian qualities are still cast in the shadow of too much spice.... I bet this was well done without the spice cabinet. Tastes like a stomach ache.

Much more drinkable with all this age.. but that also has magnified a sugary burpy carbonation that makes it difficult to get more than a half a glass down easily.

4/3.25/3.25/3.25/3.25

***
22oz picked up at New Vintage in Meridian for about $6... shared with a coworker.. still listening to the Cowboy Junkies. Poured into a big red wine balloon.

Beautiful hazy orange.. very orange.. lite haze. Good head that goes away quickly leaving almost no lacing.

Smell is spices.. Belgian yeast and otherwise... citrus across the board but there is more ... ginger and cardamom (I would not know what cardamom smelled/tasted like had a local brewery not used it in their rye). Spices dominate... all kinds of citrus .. not noticeable hops... sorta a mismash of everything... big fruity kick with a sweetness that only sort of binds thing together.. Flavor is the same but MUCH BIGGER. Great body while still having a prickly tongue. Candy sweetness and alcohol become much more evident as it warms... so does the citrus.

I've had probably a dozen of the 777's at this point, and they seem to be getting better... at first, my notes use the word "trainwreck" quite liberally... tastes like an overspiced saison with a bigboned triple as the base brew. This is the first VE I've reviewed and won't be the last. I enjoyed this one from the beginning, but more because of how I see it aging. I predict this one gaining some serious props in the cellar.. it needs a bunch of time to meld.... but it is still very interesting and whole heartedly unique at this juncture. The citrus is already much more muted than fresh... My only real concern, I worry the cardamom won't diminish... too much cardamom!

This is the first VE I've had reckless ability to try.... I have a case in the basement and will buy more... It is only going to get better... Now, somebody needs to hook a brother up with a 333, and I will sell family members to get a 222... seriously... no joke... you can have my brother at cost... $50 and he's yours.

1.25/5  rDev -66.8%

3.58/5  rDev -5%

Slightly hazed, golden orange colour with a white cap of foam. The fine bubbles produced lots of pretty lacing and showed pretty good head retention. The aroma was full of spicy cloves and sweet candy sugar, backed up by a tart fruitiness. The flavour was quite sweet with low bitterness. Sugary and spicy (cloves), the finish had a peppery character. Medium bodied and carbonation, slightly sticky, with a nearly airy texture. Quite nice overall, but there cloves were sort of out of control. Not as balanced as last year's offering.

3.79/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I was fortunate to try this last night at an epic tasting held by my good friend Mike, thanks for the opportunity MrBarleywine! At this beer Jeff started picking on me about taking notes, he is mean and just made the list ;)
Pours a slightly hazy deep golden color with a smallish off white head that sticks for a bit. The aroma is spicy and fruity with a huge hit of ginger that seems to dominate the aroma. The flavor is sweet with light sugar with a twist of orange and citrus. Ginger, allspice, coriander and pepper round out the spice palette in this beer. Light body with a moderate level of carbonation and a sweet mouthfeel. I liked this one its a weird mix between triple and saison, but from my wrecked full flavored palette this is a pretty decent saison.

3.68/5  rDev -2.4%

Purchased in Buffalo, always enjoy these vertical epics.

Pours a slightly hazy orange/amber, medium sized off white head forms, settles to a thin layer, nice sticky lace. Smell is sweet/sour, caramel, some citrus, yeasty, oranges, buttered bread, some spices in the finish, pretty interesting. Taste is similar, sweet/sour feel up front, fruity, caramel/butter, spices and yeast, oranges, sweet finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation. My least favourite of the Vertical Epics, but we'll see how it ages.

3.59/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Hazy-bronze with floaties, white head, very little retention, light lacing.

S: Candied pineapple, gingerbread, spice & a slight fruity tartness.

T: Spicy gingerbread, tropical fruit, cloves, grain, light bitterness, slight tartness, light alcohol warmth.

M: Moderate body & carbonation with a dry finish.

D: Something to sip with dinner.

This beer is slightly hazed and throws out a deep golden hue. The head is thin and white. Lacing sporadic. Pretty nice aroma with belgian yeast apparent. Nice little sweet doughiness. The spices are not overbearing on the nose. I get a little cardamon. On the palate I get alcohol, sweetness and fruits. Tropical punch like. The alcohol is really evident and acts as the buzzkill in this context. Otherwise, I also get some lime notes, ginger and lemon. Too much stuff going on here and it doesn't mesh all that well....right now. Don't know about the future, but some age can't hurt this. I don't forsee cracking another for years....possibly till 2012. My least favorite of the Epics so far.

3.97/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into a Gulden Draak tulip. A 2007 properly cellared bottle poured in 2012. Pours a medium coppery golden amber with a thin white head with good retention and slippery lacing. Aroma of sweet malt, apple and peach juice with light cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom. The Belgian trippel and golden ale influence is evident. Flavor follows with light fruit juice; apple, pear, apricot. Belgian spicing of cardamom, ginger and light cloves. A slight diacetyl buttery component, but fits in well with the other flavors. Finishes with sweet fruit. The years have created a pleasant medium creamy body, giving a nice mouth feel. I was unable to taste this fresh, but this aged ale is quite good and probably has a nicer body than when fresh. Another Vertical edition that I wish I had been able to cellar a few of. The last year I need to purchase before trying my own cellared bottles starting with 08.08.08. I have to admit I was unconvinced that these beers would be good ageing candidates, but both 06 and 07 are quite nice.

3.75/5  rDev -0.5%

3.29/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured from a Stone bomber into an Orval glass for me and St. Bernardus chalice for her. The beer is a light copper color, just a touch hazy, with a very thin head. The aroma is a little pepper spicy, kind of tripel-like, it has a Belgian-esque yeast quality. The flavor is reminiscent of some American tripels such as Golden Monkey or Final Absolution, but with a noticeable alcohol bite. Maybe it will mellow out as it ages towards 121212, but for now this is among my least favorites from Stone. On the plus side, my wife likes it. But she's got a taste for raw alcohol...

4.24/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

The beer pours forth from the 22 ounce bottle a crystalline gold, the head is monumental in size, the color a bright white and the texture creamy, the resultant lace a tight skirt to obfuscate the glass. Nose has a nice hint of citrus and fruit, with malt to back it up, the Cardamom is also quite noticeable, just a plethora of aromas to treat the olfactory senses. Start is nicely malted; sweet and spicy, top is moderate in feel. Finish has sparkling wine crispness, the hops dynamic in their spicy bite, the alcohol evident, as it warms your tummy, very dry and lingering aftertaste. What can I say, I’ve been a “Stoner” since the very first day I quaffed one of their brews, and will be still the day they shovel dirt in my face.

4.01/5  rDev +6.4%

Opened June 2013.

A - Nice golden apricot body. Fine white head sits low with nice retention and lace.

S - Bright, floral nose. Great balance. Dandelion, honey, touch of tangerine, white grape, Chardonnay, macadamia nut.

T - Smooth apricot jam, honey, sour pear, white grape. Floral finish.

M - Silky, medium-light frame. Surprisingly creamy.

O - A floral take on the style with strong mead influences. Great integration and balance.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

22oz bomber contributed by the darkness, blackie

appearance: pours into a medium wine glass, glowing apricot-orange body, bubbly, light beige head...very clear

smell: sweet and fruity, orange peel, lime, white pepper, clove

taste: this beer is spiced in all sorts of interesting ways that make it an interesting try even this early before maturation...i get a fair amount of pepper, clove, lime juice, orange peel, light booze, bready, nice yeast presence

mouthfeel: syrupy and full bodied, high sweetness, sugary

drinkability: pretty good

3.94/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a snifter, the beer pours an amber/orange color with a half inch white head. The aroma is sweet and spicy (mostly spicy). It smells like pepper, cloves, coriander, ginger, yeast, apricots and citrus fruit peel. The taste starts off very spicy, mostly cloves and pepper. Then a sharp fruity/hoppy/spicy bittersweet taste kicks in and it leaves a long-lasting aftertaste. It tastes pretty much the same way it smells. Mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of zippy carbonation which doesn't hurt the beer at all. Drinkability is good, but I think aging the beer would help mellow it out some. Still, I think this is a good brew.

4.19/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 22oz. bomber into a St. Feuillien goblet, the 07.07.07 is a clear orangish bronze with a 1 finger eggshell head that quickly subsides to a thick collar and skim, leaving scattered lace. Not pale, and an uninspiring head, this reminds me of all the failed, malty US takes on the style. However, I hesitate to dock it much on the color, as the label cites it's a mix of tripel and saison (my two favorite styles BTW), which I afford a wider range of color.

The nose is strong, yeasty, spicy and sugary sweet. I might have guessed I was picking up on coriander, but it's not listed on the label with the other spices, although the phrasing of 'including' hints that it may not be an inclusive list. If it is, maybe it's the cardamom, or just the Belgian yeast. I also found the ginger really reveals itself as it warms. Inviting and complex, I'm impressed.

The taste is a bit thick but nice. Lots of Belgian yeast spiciness, clean candi sugar, and a noticeable bit of alcohol. Also, there's a nice punch of the citrus mentioned on the label, grapefruit, lemon and orange peel, although I couldn't detect it on the nose, but enjoy it's presence here.
I've had a few mediocre US made BSPAs lately, and it's nice to have a decent one again. However, I question just how well this would hold up over the next 5 1/2 years. I don't generally think BSPAs are made for the long haul, and I assume that the citrus I really enjoy here will quickly fade. Also, I found it odd that there was no yeast on the bottom of the empty bottle, and both pours were clear. Still, this is good enough that I'll get a few more, to enjoy on the short term as well cellar. I'm guessing this will peak between 6-12 months...

The mouthfeel is maybe a tad heavy, but there's enough effervescence to keep it from getting syrupy.

This was quite drinkable, because it was really pretty tasty. While it didn't blow me away with the first sip, I was really loving it by then end. A little less heat and more digestibility would make this a 5, possibly for the taste as well. But I really enjoy the SoCal twist on the style, appreciate the dominance of the yeast, and the depth, yet subtleness of the spices.

Stone 07.07.07 Vertical Epic Ale from Stone Brewing Co.