Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - Vanilla BeanSmoked Porter - Vanilla Bean

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 08-31-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean Alström Bros

JorgeGautier, Jun 17, 2014

tbeq00, Nov 15, 2011

jerz, Nov 18, 2011

I2uss, Nov 18, 2011

BigV, Jul 03, 2014

BASED ON NOTES: Tried late last year during SDBW.
A: Nice solid dark beer. Served shamelessly in a chilled pint glass...bastards!

S: Vanilla, vanilla, and a little vanilla. Chocolate, coffee was present.

T: Alwesome beer. The gravity of this beer was mild, and a light/medium body that just went down with ease. Went well with pizza that we ordered it with.

O: Top porters for sure. Great beer for any special occasion.

FARGO619, Jun 24, 2011

MaddDogg84, Mar 05, 2014

druckpress, Sep 18, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +27.1%

A - Dark chocolate colored with a quarter inch of rocky tan head. Some lacing.

S - Vanilla is the first thing that hits you, but you can still smell the smoke behind it. Smells like a french vanilla iced coffee brewed over a campfire. I could smell this all night.

T - Vanilla first, followed by dark chocolate and coffee with big roasty malt flavors, finishing in just the right amount of smokiness. This is an incredibly balanced beer.

M - Creamy and medium to full-bodied. Just right carbonation.

D - Dangerously drinkable. I wish I could get this regularly.

This may be the best porter I've ever had.

Tiklmelmo, Jun 10, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +25.8%

A - Beautiful dark, black coffee color. Thin off-white head.

S - Like a vanilla cappuccino. Very subtle and not too overpowering. I also get hints of some light coconut.

T - Smooth, vanilla and mocha taste. Perfect balance of the porter and vanilla flavor.

M - Medium thickness, goes down very well and easy. Nice mild finish.

O - This beer is delicious. I don't drink porters or stouts often, but this one is by far one of the best I've tried. I am really glad Stone came out with this one; they never disappoint.

stlunatic15, Jul 04, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +25%

Vanilla bean comes across very strong in the nose. Its right up front backed up by chocolate and very slight coffee notes. Theres a little roastiness but no apparent smokey scents like in the original and the chipotle. There's roasted, smokey flavors right up front along with a strong vanilla bean taste. The smokiness and vanilla sweetness blend together in a really interesting way. The chocolate flavors come up next and it all fades out into a slightly sweet smoked coffee taste. This is an awesome brew. The chipotle was good but this is definitely my favorite of the three (including the original).

EDIT: So, I'm having another one right now and it is much smokier than the last one I had. Still smells very vanilla and the flavor has a lot of vanilla but the original smokey characteristics of the Smoked Porter stick out a LOT more than before. Still delicious and much more unique than just vanilla bean. Thank you AJ's for having some in Tucson.

DonDirkA, Jul 24, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +24.5%

Appearance: Black as night

Head: Very little head that dissipates quickly and leaves a little lace on the edges

Smell: Light notes of vanilla extract and a bit of a heavy smokey maltyness

Taste: Creamy vanilla with sweet black malts

Weight: Creamy body medium to heavy

Finish: Vanilla bean sticks around with a little roosted malt

Snow81, Apr 02, 2011
4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

JimBillyJoeBob, Oct 13, 2014
4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

A - Dark, dark brown, almost black with about a 1/4" thick, frothy head, tan in color. Head remained to the last drink. The whole thing looked thick enough to spread on some toast in the morning.

S - I could sense hints of Nestle Nesquik, perhaps some of the vanilla bean. I'm not sure how they used the Nesquik in the brewing process, but however they did it, it was amazing to smell. I poured some on the carpet of my car to give my car the scent.

T - An explosion of carmel, chocolate (um, nesquik?), roasted malt all in one. I really couldn't put the drink down it tasted so good. I didn't really taste the vanilla bean, but could sense a sweetness in the porter.

M - Rich and creamy. Had the mouthfeel of a Guiness. Just smooth.

D - I drank two, very quickly. I really didn't want to set this beer down. I asked if I could fill a growler of it, but I guess thats illegal in CA bars.

Overall, probably the best porter I've ever had. Came from a cask, so that probably brings things up a notch. I'm going back for more before they run out.

CJthirty7, May 15, 2009

lumpy1126, Nov 21, 2012

Hellyeahimdrinking, Jun 30, 2012

sflefthander, Sep 06, 2012
Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean from Stone Brewing Co.