Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - Vanilla BeanSmoked Porter - Vanilla Bean

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 08-31-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean Alström Bros

At first sip gave it away. Bleh. I don't know who can drink this. I thought it sounded interesting, but it was totally unappealing.

1.25/5  rDev -67.8%

1.5/5  rDev -61.3%

1.75/5  rDev -54.9%

Source/Serving: 12oz bottle

S: Smooth, bourbony alcohol-laced vanilla and dark chocolate are prominent. Hints of cola, marshmellow, fireplace ash. A little bit harsh overall, but has some uniqueness to it.

T: Slightly sweet cola upfront with a bitter chocolate note in the background. Vanilla comes through slightly. Almost immediately the smoke hits and its harsh, acrid, and largely unpleasant. Very intense and I like smoke beers, with quite an unpleasant burned/charred character. Rather than balance the sweet vanilla note it overpowers, clashes, and doesn't work at all. This does subside slightly halfway through the sip to reveal some bourbon, coffee and vanilla, whose sweetness is a respite from the harsh, bitter smoke and work nicely together, but this quickly gives way to a harsh, unpleasant ash/charcoal note which dominates the finish and makes the lingering flavor of each sip unpleasant.

Notes: A really harsh, awful brew and I'm a really big fan of this style of beer.

1.75/5  rDev -54.9%

2.09/5  rDev -46.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

Pours a beautiful dark mahogany with a very healthy off-white head. Unfortunately the rest of the beer just doesn’t do it for me, which is so disappointing because I love Stone’s original Smoked Porter. The vanilla just does not blend well with the malts in terms of aroma and flavor. The addition of vanilla is more harsh than smooth and sweet, and just plain tastes bad. Perhaps it will be worth a revisit one day, as I can’t quite figure out what happened with what sounds like such a promising (and highly rated) beer.

2.1/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Shared a bottle among four friends using wine glasses. Not well received by anyone in the group. The overwhelming smell of burnt popcorn pervaded the nose. The vanilla was almost non-existent in nose or while tasting. Mouthfeel was almost watery. This beer was not what I expected from Stone. I purchased two bottles, but had to bring the second back and ask for an exchange.

2.23/5  rDev -42.5%

I honestly can say that this beer is on my "avoid" list.I recently tried clown shoes ganghis pecan.With all that roasted and smoked characters it really gave the beers a taste that my pallet just won't forgive.To each their own.But for this guy I have to give it a fail.

2.25/5  rDev -42%

2.25/5  rDev -42%

2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

Served into a snifter.

A very black liquid sits in my glass with a fingers worth of tan head. Slight roast on the nose with very sweet vanilla. Sounded tasty when I ordered it. Mouth was kinda thin for me and not a lot of carbonation. I like vanilla, love it in fact but this tasted like cheap vanilla extract dumped into my beer. It was flat out gross. I can't get around the awful cheap taste and aftertaste in my mouth. I had to dock points for that. Another swing and a miss from Stone for me.

Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean from Stone Brewing Co.