Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean - Stone Brewing Co.

Smoked Porter - Vanilla BeanSmoked Porter - Vanilla Bean

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Porter |  5.90% ABV

(Beer added by: MiScusi on 08-31-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean Alström Bros
2.23/5  rDev -42.7%

I honestly can say that this beer is on my "avoid" list.I recently tried clown shoes ganghis pecan.With all that roasted and smoked characters it really gave the beers a taste that my pallet just won't forgive.To each their own.But for this guy I have to give it a fail.

BubalooBrewMaster, Jan 15, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

ThinkRedEsq, Aug 05, 2012
2.25/5  rDev -42.2%

Kerie, Jan 02, 2014
2.28/5  rDev -41.4%

Served into a snifter.

A very black liquid sits in my glass with a fingers worth of tan head. Slight roast on the nose with very sweet vanilla. Sounded tasty when I ordered it. Mouth was kinda thin for me and not a lot of carbonation. I like vanilla, love it in fact but this tasted like cheap vanilla extract dumped into my beer. It was flat out gross. I can't get around the awful cheap taste and aftertaste in my mouth. I had to dock points for that. Another swing and a miss from Stone for me.

TheDudeRules, Apr 24, 2011
2.3/5  rDev -40.9%

Color is a dark cola color with a sudsy white lace.
The aroma smells like a dry vanilla coke. The vanilla is very dominant.
The smoked malt flavors come out some more here in taste, the vanilla is still very strong and playing lead role. Cola flavors, i really can't get past thinking of cola here.
The mouthfeel is semi sticky, low to moderate carbonation, medium body.

Not really digging this. I don't think the smoked malt base is ideal for the vanilla addition, maybe if there was more chocolate malts and this had a bigger body that could be great, but as it is now the vanilla is too much.

Love,
Chad

ChadQuest, Aug 13, 2012
2.39/5  rDev -38.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

let me start by defending myself, this seems to be getting a pretty high rating for what I felt it should have...Stone is in my top 5 breweries which is hard to get in/ stay in for a guy that has had over 600 different beers in the past few years, stone is consistently solid and I still love them, this is probably the least favorite offering I've ever had from them, I love their normal smoked porter and I have liked most vanilla flavored stouts/porters I've tried maybe the two just don't mix, at least not for me.
A:thin bodied like a porter should be but still very dark crimson brown almost black, with a thin off white head.
S:best quality of this beer, the vanilla is by far in the fore front with hints of smokiness but something smells burnt, like the malts perhaps or maybe just the combo of the vanilla and smoke, reminds me a little of Linenkugels snowdrift vanilla porter, which I hated (no surprise from Linnies).
T: not expecting this is just...too much. I love when a beer is what it says it is but this is just too much for me, the flavor and the aroma are flip flopped, the vanilla is not as pronounced and the smoke comes out more, the WORST aspect of this beer is the aftertaste, YUCK! Icky ick yuck yucky yish! make it go away!
o.a. not good, sorry stone. still love ya, you're still in my top five, but beerlover don't likey this one. drain poured the last half, almost blasphemy for stone.

Beerlover, Dec 12, 2013
2.43/5  rDev -37.5%

12 oz bottle. Pours a dark cola brown with a small tan that has head decent retention and leaves lots of small spots of lacing on the glass. The aroma is vanilla. Lots of sweet vanilla and a bit of coffee and cocoa. The initial taste is sweet with a lot of vanilla, a bit of coffee, a little bit of chocolate, and more vanilla. Finish has lingering vanilla. Medium body. Low carbonation. Vanilla just overpowers everything here and comes off as way too sweet. Disappointing.

jethrodium, Jul 18, 2012

maltlikker, Dec 12, 2013

JustinMatthew, Dec 17, 2012

vinny21bal, Dec 14, 2013
2.6/5  rDev -33.2%

Portland Holiday Ale Festival 08.

Interesting beer, I really really liked the concept. The smell was nice, but then when drinking it was very much of two competing flavors in my mouth. Not the good kind. Too much vanilla, and did not hold me with an sort of balance.

Dubbercody, Dec 07, 2008
2.63/5  rDev -32.4%

Served in a Delirium Tremens tulip.

A: Looks like a dark, roasty porter, with a very bubbly, frothy, and vicious mocha head that clung to the glass on the way down and then some.

S: Didn't care much for the smell on this one. One of the danger of adding a dessert element to a base beer with a very smokey smell (or flavor) is that is come off (to me) like melted plastic.

T: The taste wasn't any better. It had sort of a stomach acid quality mixed in with the plastic as well, which kill all the smokiness of the original while leaving the bitterness intact.

M: Yeah, pretty bitter and most unpleasant taste-wise, but I still like the thick, snot-like texture here and the ridiculous lacing that was left behind.

O: This one sounded great on paper, but the result left far more to be desired.

Chaney, Aug 26, 2012
2.65/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle poured into a glass

A - Dark brown color with hints of light brown on the bottoms and edges. Has a frothy one finger head that settles down and leaves some nice lacing

S - Smoky cedar, roasted malt, light chocolate and coffee with a slight hint of the vanilla beans. The smoky scent dominates as you don't get as much vanilla as I'd hope for

T - Smoky and roasted malt up front. On the middle, there is a cream soda flavor that is what the vanilla provides here. The finish is more smokiness. The cream soda like flavor is good but doesnt meld well with the rest of the beer. The beer is also too thin for the flavors to stand up.

MF - Really thin and watery. Really wish this had a bit more heft to it as I'd feel it'd add to the flavors.

O - it's okay but really a disappointment from what I was expecting. The vanilla doesn't add much, the flavors are muted, and the body is really thin. Was hoping for more from Stone

jeonseh, Nov 23, 2012
2.66/5  rDev -31.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

22oz bottle from Lucky's (Woodstock, GA). 5.99. Enjoy by 3/4/14. Served in my Phish snifter.

Pours dark tea brown with a finger and a half of cream hued froth. Nice head retention and lacing galore.

Aroma seems a bit muted but carries nice notes of vanilla with some faint musty smoke.

Flavors of bold vanilla, smoked malt, caramel and bitter coffee. I really like the vanilla but there is some overreaching bitterness it's just a little too much.

Thin body with fair carbonation. Bitter burnt malt and vanilla finish.

Overall fair but this is far from Stone's best work in my opinion. The vanilla was the only thing that kept me drinking it.

ThickNStout, Dec 31, 2013
2.68/5  rDev -31.1%

12 oz bottle poured into a tumbler pint glass.

A: Pours a moderately dark ruby red color that's almost translucent - it's easy to forget that this is one of the lighter porters on the market. The head is an impressively thick one finger light mocha color with solid retention. Nice webbed rings of lacing are left on the glass.

S: Decently smoky, with a little maltiness (though not necessarily roasted) and fruit. The vanilla almost smells detached from the rest of the beer, almost like it was added seperately. Kind of weird, but not exactly bad.

T: Okay, THERE'S the vanilla. The way it opens the beer, it really just steamrolls over the notes of light smoke, bittersweet chocolate, and darker fruits the base beer provides. There's a strange finishing acridness that's kind of harsh and phenolic at times. In addition, the vanilla is kind of weird and unpleasantly artificial tasting, further hurting its balance. I'm just not feeling this at all, it's really imbalanced in general. On the plus side, it improves somewhat as I continue to finish it (a trend I seem to notice in smoked beers).

M: Nothing too wrong here; it has a light texture and a wet finish, but the hints of plastic on the taste kind of makes the back of the tongue tingle unpleasantly. It's easy enough to drink, I guess. Low carbonation.

O: This beer is just one big "feh" from me. The vanilla isn't too well integrated, and it majorly detracts from an otherwise solidly good porter. The chipotle version seems to be far more up my alley; so I'll have to try that one out. As for this one? Give it a miss.

ThisWangsChung, Jul 30, 2012

beerhan, Aug 21, 2012

RobDB, Feb 08, 2014

Danielr26, Jan 12, 2014
Smoked Porter - Vanilla Bean from Stone Brewing Co.