2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,610 | Reviews: 1,801 | Show All Ratings:
Phenom

Wow do I love this beer, I consider it my favorite beer and nearly perfect. I have had several before, but am just getting around to reviewing it. Too bad I only have 4 left after this one, it would be a real shame if Stone never brewed it again.

Very dark, nearly black with a nice tan head that dissipates fairly quickly to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is of piney hops, melon or tropical fruits, raisins, molasses, an almost woody or oak-like smell which is interesting since this beer is not oak aged.

The flavor is really complex, with too many flavors for me to separate, and simply delicious. There is a big hit of hop bitterness, yet the beer is very syrupy and coats the palate well. The alcohol meshes well with the other flavors and is well-hidden.

Honestly I remember the beer being hoppier the first time I tasted it, and I liked it a bit better then. There is still plenty of hop bitterness, but this beer has some age on it now and the hop aroma and flavor has started to mellow and fade a little. My score reflects to some extent my memory of the fresh beer. Still excellent now, but not quite as exceptional as it was. Who knows what it will become with even more age?

06-05-2008 01:05:04 | More by Phenom
MCfunkyJ

Pours: black/brown with a thick tan head

Aroma: pine, coffee

Taste: very strong and a small bit of bitterness

Mouthfeel: full-bodied, strong and a tad bit bitter but still smooth

Drinkability: this a super dark IPA and in a way reminds me of the Old Gaurdian but not such a strong Alcohol taste as the OG.
Going back to buy the store out.

Serving type: 22oz bottle

01-22-2009 07:48:39 | More by MCfunkyJ
Dmann

A truly awesome beer, the growler lasted but 2 hours before it was emptied! This is basically a re release of the 11th anniversary ale under a different name, and I'm glad they did this because the 11th was one of my favs and it is great to have it back!

The beer poured a very dark brown color with a great off white head and nice lace on the glass. My nose was quickly drawn to the scents of pine and pineapple and I could not wait to taste it. The flavor was event better than the smell with a bit of dark malt sweetness to start out with, followed by a very fresh, lightly piney and cirtusy hop blast, and rounded out by a touch of alchohol in the end. The perfect carbonation and smoothe, not too thick mouthfeel added greatly to my enjoyment of the beer. No, I do not think any improvements could be made on this one, but get it now while it's fresh! You will not be dissapointed!

Serving type: growler

01-23-2009 00:35:54 | More by Dmann
brewman6

Bought 22oz bomber at the local beer store

poured into a large glass

beautiful head that lasted for the entire beer

Aroma coffe pine and roasted malts

flavor spectacular tremendous bitterness balanced perfectly with the roasted malts hints of citrus, chocalate and coffee

mouth feel very light flavor stays with you for a long time

goes down easy

06-03-2009 20:33:44 | More by brewman6
velosuds

Oregon

Updated 2/10/12: bought a bomber today with enjoy by 3/29/2012. This may be the freshest SSSRA I have ever had, and this is a favorite style of mine. This was just amazing tonight, even perfect. I can't comprehend a more complete interpretation of this style, so this is my benchmark. Well done Stone, very well done.

From a 22 oz. bomber into a clear pint glass. Enjoy by 12 18 09. Purchased from specialty beer store for $6.29. Wish I had bought more.

A-pours a beautiful dark brown, nearly black hue with a two finger light brown head with strong retention. Lacing is even all the way down the glass.

S-Aroma is wonderful. Piney and citric hops and dark fruits and sugars, like figs and molasses.

T-Sublime. Righteous, too. Self, or otherwise. This is unlike anything else I have ever had. Evidently, this was considered a black IPA when released as Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale. Works for me. This was very hoppy, but not overpowering since it was balanced by deep, rich malt flavors reminiscent of dark chocolate and brown sugar.

M-Substantial yet smooth, even delicate. A definite sipping beer because you don't want to rush past any of its nuances. I love this beer.

D-This is very drinkable. It must be, since I want more and don't have any. At 8.7% ABV the alcohol is not noticeable in the taste, but it definitely contributes to the overall character of this great beer. Well done, Stone.

11-09-2009 05:54:14 | More by velosuds
tonymoore

I had this on tap the first time I had it, and I thought that if God drinks beer this is probably the beer he drinks. Satan, too, if he has any taste (and I'll bet he does). It's black like Satan's soul, and the taste is unexpected because of it: It looks like a stout, but it's a huge hop wash across your tongue.

The head is like froth on a milkshake, and it's exceptionally white, especially in contrast to the beer itself.

I thought that the color was just a gimmick, but then I realized that what it adds is a psychological aspect that no other beer has (yet): It's like buying a black car. It's not any faster than a white car, but it feels like it might be, and it's a hell of a lot cooler; you just tend to enjoy it more. The color of this one adds some kind of layer that you only discern on a subconscious level.

I bought two cases and enjoy every bottle as much as the previous. if you can find it, it's worth the price.

01-01-2010 19:05:47 | More by tonymoore
hoplover82

I am so glad it finally made it to south texas! This is a wonderful beer!

Pours pitch black with a creamy tan head that has outstanding retention and lacing. The head never dissapears, that's always impressive.

The aroma is huge on the chinook and simcoe hops I believe. Big grapefruit citrus and piney hop aromas and pleasantly mild roasted barley and chocolate notes along with the typical sweet bread dough from their house yeast that I love so.

The flavor is much like the aroma but with a huge bitterness that kind of hide the roasty and chocolate notes a little, but they're still there. Lots of grapefruit and pine hop flavor with very hidden but there, chocolate malt flavors.

This beer has a big and juicy feel with a slightly dry finish and full carbonation.

This beer is extremely drinkable!

I think this beer deserves a perfect score for sure. I can't find anything wrong with this beer. I am very pleased with my experience indeed.

05-10-2010 04:49:51 | More by hoplover82
AndyAvalanche

Stone's 11th Anniversary Ale was one of my favorite beers of all time, I was literally about to roll on the floor and have a tantrum when I found out that it wasn't going to be available anymore. Thank God Stone decided to keep the recipe and call it Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale. This is a truly outstanding brew.

22oz. bottle poured into a Duvel Tulip style glass. These beer pours completely black when in the glass. It comes out a very dark brown when the liquid gets a little thin, but overall it's pretty black and opaque. The beer produces a tan head with some decent lacing to it, the way beer should look. A very good looking brew. The smell is truly exquisite. It's complex, but gets to the point. Overall it's completely dominated by the hops, but the malts make themselves noticeable as well. Roasted malts with a slight smokey smell that is covered by a delicious hop aroma. A little more pine than citrus in my opinion. The taste is truly outstanding, but I wish I had the opportunity to grade it a 4.9 I think that's what I go with in that situation. Like most beers of this style it's very hoppy, the good thing here is it's not to overwhelming. Along with the great hoppy taste is the good malted flavor. It has a great malted taste much like the smell, with a slight smokey taste. Wonderfully balanced overall. Mouthfeel is good, not quite full bodied in my opinion, but pretty close. Has a slight dry bitter finish from the hop, very good. Extremely drinkable beer, could drink this rain or shine on any occasion. A wonderful beer to have on standby, and you should!

05-23-2010 03:20:59 | More by AndyAvalanche
begforme4484

Connecticut

I know going into this review my words can never pay this beer homage.

That said, I was lucky enough to find this beer on tap for my first tasting of it. I've since bought it by the case in bottle form. It's not quite as good in bottle as on tap, but that can be expected with any beer.

SSRA pours a very dark brown. By eye it is almost black. Trying to peer through the liquid into a light or even the sun is useless, as you cannot see through it. It has almost 2 fingers worth of a tan-white head that recedes somewhat quickly, but laces with every sip I take.

It smells sweet and roasted initially. The malts smells of chocolate and caramel. Further looking into it, you can get a scent of the faint hops smell behind the malts. The hops smell somewhat grassy.

The taste is superfluous. It's very dark and smokey upfront with a very tasty bitter finish. It's like Stone combined 5 different styles of beer into one and made it work somehow. It's smokey like a porter, thick like a stout, clean as a lager, and as bitter and refreshing as an IPA. (Due in part to the 80ish IBU's I'm sure).

The beer is well carbonated. It does linger a lot.. and suffice it to say I think any beer you taste after having this will be ruined.

The overall drinkability for me is excellent. I can drink SSRA after SSRA and never tire of it. The only problem being is now that I know what SSRA is and how it tastes.. I have to plan ahead of time to make sure to drink it last if I'm drinking other beers. Even it's after taste overpowers a lot of brews.

This beer may not fit everyone's palate, but I see it as a must try. Definitely my #1 favorite beer of all time. Right in front of Pliny the Elder at #2.

07-09-2010 04:13:51 | More by begforme4484
imagese

This should be the benchmark for all black IPA's/CDA's

A- dark dark ruby with a two finger tan head that sustained a thin head that laced the whole glass

S- this is the best part of this phenomenal beer. Bold piney hops just assault your sinuses followed by a sweet hint of chocolately malt

T- awesome hop slam to the front of the tongue, followed by a great stout-esque sweep across the back.

M- perfect carbonation accents the high IBU of this beer. The bitterness lingers in your whole mouth and makes you crave that next sip

D- very drinkable for a rather high ABV and IBU. I've downed several bombers in a session.

If you're lucky enough to find the double dry hopped version of this on tap, drink as many as you can. Rare you find something that makes a perfect beer "perfecter"!!!

11-30-2010 03:37:33 | More by imagese
yardguy

Had this from a cask at The Yard in Santa Monica.

Poured with a thick head. Very dark and murky.

Nose was very hoppy. citrus and malt

Taste was hoppy and bitter. Very smooth mouthfeel, but definitely a hoppy finish that lingers.

Very drinkable. Great in a small glass. Too much would definitely wear your mouth down. Great beer, though.

Serving type: cask

01-12-2011 08:06:58 | More by yardguy
diegoangeles

Mexico

I got this one on a day-to-day scenario, with my family at the burger restaurant.

A- At first I got fully pleased by it's almost pitch black color, barely noticed a hint of light coming through, it pured gracefully on the glass and had an awesome tan head that lasted perfectly before dissipating.

S- It had a bold citric, piney and roasted smell, with some chocolate and toast on it.
Quite a punch in the good way!

T- It's the citrus and pine the ones to take the first punch, but it nicely merges with notes of dried fruits, roasted malt and chocolate.. I even recall some peach on it! (?!)

M- It wasn't viscous as I expected, the carbonation is perfectly balanced with the mix of flavors coming out of it, and it comes down dangerously easy!

O- On a very personal level, this is just a spit away from what would be my perfect black ale, the looks and taste are great, and it doesn't get stuck on your mouth forever, letting you enjoy it while having any steak or burger or any other thing you like! (and trust me, well it goes!)

A MUST!

05-06-2011 19:49:26 | More by diegoangeles
ralree

Maryland

A: Deep brown, almost black, brown head, great lacing and beautiful retention. Bi-Winning!

S: Extremely hoppy and pleasantly sweet. This smells delicious!

T: To die for - perfect super-hopped flavor meets really toasty and brown-sugary malt! Nice and alcoholic, which is just barely noticeable. This is one amazing brew!

M: A bit on the oily side - really keeps the hop flavor alive. Carbonation is perfect. A tiny bit astringent - just enough.

D: This is one of the best ales I've had in a long time. Drink it! It goes down wonderfully.

05-11-2011 00:33:44 | More by ralree
acevenom

Louisiana

Poured into a brandy snifter. Pours black with a tan head that dissipates slowly, leaving some lacing on the side of the glass. The beer is opaque, but bubbles can be seen collecting on the underside of the head. The hop aroma of this beer is strong, but I can also pick up dark roasted malts, bitter chocolate, and some mild sweetness in the smell. The taste follows the nose. The citrus hop flavor is intense, but I can also pick up the malty flavors as well as bitter chocolate and anise. The alcohol is well-hidden in the flavor. The body of the beer is medium to full with plentiful carbonation. The drinkability is very high for such a big beer. Overall, this is a most excellent beer that everyone should try once.

05-25-2012 22:32:09 | More by acevenom
Homerb3

Georgia

Awesome! By far the best imperial IPA I have ever tasted.

Pitch black in color.

The smell of floral wafts as its poured.

Nice thick rich head. Extreme lacing.

Very hoppy blend that compliments the hints of chocolate.

Nice and smooth mouthfeel, with a little touch alcohol on the end.

All around solid beer.

11-12-2012 12:54:30 | More by Homerb3
thebrood1987

Very crisp hop blast. Crisp and dense smelling is the best way I can describe Stone's IPA's. It smells fruity and I can get some orange smells in there as well as the typical flowery hoppy smell and some sweet roasted malts. Smells awesome.

You get the hop crispy bite as soon as it hits your tongue and it evolves into an orange hoppy flavor and then a crisp bitterness with the sweet dark roasted malts melding with the bitterness its amazing.

Amazing hoppy herbal flavors in this one just bursting with flavor. Can't even taste the alcohol wow. What a great beer perfect score for this one.

03-27-2014 23:59:32 | More by thebrood1987
nortmand

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Ruddy brown pour with a frothy, two fingered head.

Juicy hop aromas fill the room upon pouring. Grapefruit, passion fruit, sweet orange flower honey, everything an american hop has ever been or wanted to be. Some caramelized sugars and coffee aromas as well.

Flowery sweet grapefruit up front, roast and hop juice midtongue. Leaves a balanced hop bitterness and chocolate.

Fantastically designed beer. Very, very nice. I'll miss this when it is gone.

09-11-2007 01:47:31 | More by nortmand
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

The 11th pours near black with amber highlights on the sides of the glass. The creamy tan head leaves an expansive network of lace trails and patches of foam. The head has excellent retention. The nose is full of pithy, citrusy, piney hops, with a subtle roasted malt feel in the back. As the beer warms milk chocolate is noticeable as well.

The taste is an expanse of hops, all the grapefruit and pine you expect from PacNW hops (the best hops in the world IMO). A pungent bitter is evident from the start. Roasty malt and anise flavors keep reminding me that this isnt simply an IPA. Some meringue like malt lies is the background. The finish is lightly roasty and very bitter, coating my mouth for many minutes. The mouthfeel is medium full and subtly carbonated - almost like its bottle conditioned. Alcohol is impeccably well hidden.

Id say this beer leans more towards 'black IPA' than 'very hoppy stout'. The IPA characteristics take the front seat here. Mmmmm hops.

12-29-2007 04:47:41 | More by CAMRAhardliner
WBCFM

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Currently, this is my favorite beer of all time. I first tried it when I visted San Diego and went to the Stone Brewery in Escondido. WoW!

At first, the smell of hops takes you over like a drunk girl takes over a conversation at a party.

But your first sip is something enitrely different. Its malt, and citrus and almost stout -like.

Yet the finish brings you back to that hops taste that you were expecting at first sniff. This is listed as an American Strong Ale, which I guess is fine, but lately a few breweries have been releasing what they call "black double IPAs", and I would put this up against any of them any time.

01-07-2010 01:20:38 | More by WBCFM
gauchebag

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

I haven't felt like reviewing a beer in a long time but this is a pretty special brew.

22 oz. bottle

When held up to light you can see a little redness/brownness shine through but to the naked eye without the help it looks pretty damn black, like a stout.

Honestly, maybe one of the best smelling beers I've ever encountered. The smell is totally IPA but it's not as over-the-top as some tend to be. You can smell the hops without it being too citrusy or piney. The smell is mellow without being mellow if you get what I mean.

It tastes like it smells, but nothing like what it looks. It pretty much has it all, hoppy goodness a bit of malty sweetness, caramel, pine, grapefruit. I feel like almost every sip is different in a small way.

Incredibily drinkable, the abv is hardly noticeable. I can see why another reviewer put back 3 pints so easily. I'm going to be wishing there was more when these 22 ounces are gone.

Cheers.

01-30-2010 21:39:26 | More by gauchebag
drinkiusmaximus

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

This beer is one of my top 2 and I am not going to say which is first,I guess it all depends on which one i am drinking at the moment ;)
A-poured from a bomber into a stone pint glass,black as night no light shines through with a nice fingers width creamy tan head.
S-smells of hops and slight malts with a pininess a bit floral as well.
T-OMG I just had a black IPA explosion in my mouth hoppy up front nice bitterness mellowed by some toasty malts finished with a nice roasted coffee aftertaste this beer is exquisite.
M-medium to heavy but that being said the lingering taste is phenomenal..
D-I could drink this beer forever and not be disappointed!!!

Prost!

08-02-2010 05:44:11 | More by drinkiusmaximus
FightingEntropy

4.97/5  rDev +17.8%

Tightly bubbled tan head lingers mightily on top jet black black ale that is completely opaque. One of my very favorite beers in the nose: roast and bready malt base that supports a clean and crisp hop spice. The nose continues into the taste and matches exactly. No surprises, but maybe that's what disappoints some, but I like the roast and spice in perfect balance. Bit more roast in the taste than the nose. My wife is not a hop head at all, but likes this beer because the hops blends and compliments so well into the sweet malt roast. Incredible beer that is one of Stone's best.

11-06-2011 00:54:58 | More by FightingEntropy
shacawgo24

4.96/5  rDev +17.5%

A-Darkest brown. Almost black. Like coffee. Pitch dark. Three finger manila/tan head. Bubbly and pillow-y. Average retention. Cascading spotty lacing sticks nicely. A root beer colored top layer and edging comes to light when the head is gone. Wish the brew was pitch black, would get a perfect score if it was.

S-Papaya. Mango. Pineapple. Pine. Grapefruit. Citrus, (orange, lemon and lime). Any variation of orange, (mandarin, sweet, tangerine, etc..). Peach. Apricot. Clean astringency. Dark bread. Pumpernickel. Wheat. Pretzels. Smells like a dream...

T-Peach forward. Grapefruit. Then all of the aforementioned citruses wash in. Resin. Hemp. Don't know if it's caramel malt or a wheat-y pretzel strain in the middle. Super bready. Rye & pumpernickel forward. Hops are the mildest of spicy. Very tropical, dark and bitter-hoppy. Taste is as good as any IPA available.

M-Perfect medium body. Creamy and yet fluid. Medium-low carbonation. Bitter and piney. Metallic sour aftertaste. Ink, resin and hemp fog up the palate nicely on the finish. Hops leave a comfortably numb feel. Warms and bubbles down the tongue and throat like a double stout. Gets sticky. If the feel was maintained and didn't get a tad watery it would get a perfect score.

O-Easily one of the best IPA's around. Bold and robust. Yet tropical and refreshing. You can eat the beer, or pair it with food. Everything is in balance with this beer. I love the warming, bubbly effect. What IPA's do that? Only a Cascadian Dark Ale/Black IPA can pull this off. Sublimely Self-Righteous matches all of the best IPA's and yet cranks up the hops highly and is packed with mysterious head scratching flavors. So known yet unknown. A beer Stone has every right to brag about. Hopefully this beer will be permanently made and available.

01-14-2014 04:50:36 | More by shacawgo24
Dank0814

Washington

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Just to preface, i'm a huge IPA fan, and this does not disappoint.

Color is very dark, almost that of a stout, with a ruby color on the edges.

Smell is very heavy with hops. Not wuite what would be expected from the color, but definitely what i was looking for.

Tastes amazing. Rich hop flavor, with a strong malt finish. Not too heavy, but just enough to have you asking for more.

Mouthfeel is lighter than expected as well. Not heavy at all, but has the same of any other pale ale i've had.

This beer is way too easy to drink. Goes down smooth for how dark and rich it is. I can see myself getting lost in a case for a weekend....

A definite must for any IPA drinker. Recommended by my beertender since he knew how big of a hop head. Busted one out that night and I bought them out. Enjoy!!

08-02-2009 01:55:26 | More by Dank0814
Hershdawg

4.95/5  rDev +17.3%

Bottle into pint glass

Appearance: dark black, this looks like a stout or porter.

Smell: wonderful floral aromas. The amarillo and simcoe hops come out wonderfully. One of the best smelling beers I've ever had,

Taste: Hoppy. The dark color betrays you. This is more like a dark IPA then a strong ale.

Mouthfeel: Like a standard IPA

Drinakabillity: Lovely hop taste and aroma. Strong proof. Who cares the taste makes you want to have more.

01-30-2010 06:32:25 | More by Hershdawg
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.