Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,805 | Reviews: 1,903
3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Hmmm... "strong ale", "black ipa", "dark cascadian" or "black ale" ... ???

Doesn't really matter much to me... I'm not a stickler of beer identification, all I know is that this stuff is pretty good.

It reminds me of Sierra Nevada's Torpedo and is a lot alike Stones' bastard ale.

this ale's very malt centric and has a nice dark brown or "Cola" tint to it. The head is thin and there's very little lacing.

The nose is pretty decent; again malt centric, with a good sweet candied, cake like feel. You definitely get a light roasted malt scent. The hop is lurking in the background; not exactly sure how to identify it; I want to say piney/citric; but there's a little floral too. All in all, a delightful nose with a good balance.

The taste is very nice. Not overpowering but not light either. A good medium to heavy flavor that is distinctly lightly roasted malty and candied fruit. When I say candied fruit I mean a nice candied dry fruit; mostly cherry, apricot and orange.

I hate to say this, but I'm going to anyway... the finish on this reminds me of fruit cake, but in a good way. Not the "what you hate" about fruit cake; but the actually "ok there's something good in here" aspect of fruitcake. But the finish also has that classic roasted malt taste. But a light roasted malt... not like a porter or stout.

The hops are there too; just a little hard to pin point. But there is a bitterness and it's very balanced with the sweetness of the malt; making it seem less bitter then what I'm sure it is.

All in all, a very pleasing ale. Not my favorite, but certainly not bad and I don't mind drinking it at all. This ale in my opinion is a great after dinner drink.

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Pours an opaque, very dark brown with a foamy, persistent, root beer head. Aroma is conspicuously absent, given the gorgeous presentation. Some raw grain, some citrus hop notes. Nice, evenly balanced mouthfeel between the fullness and the carbonation. Flavors are comprised of spooned mashing grain, lemon, pine, and grass. Some dark roasted barley. Finishes with some faint pine and unfermented sugar. Big beer, but not because of any one big flavor. This is my favorite Stone brew. That's not saying a lot because I think most are deplorable. But, I do like this one a lot.

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Pours like a stout almost; black body with a off-white head.

S- Smell of hops (flowery, pine and citrus) with notes of burnt sugars, chocolate and coffee.

T- Pine and citrus hop presence that moves into the dark malts which have coffee, chocolate and spice flavors. An herbal quality moves in as well and lingers for a little while. Although it looks like a stout, the taste doesn't reflect it. Roasted malts aren't as upfront as you might expect and the hop presence is much more noticeable.

M- Medium body with a nice carbonation.

D- A pretty cool creation overall; very complex but well balanced. Definitely worth trying.

3.91/5  rDev -7.3%

Very unusual beer here. Almost like a hybrid between a porter and an IPA. Very good, though.

Poured very dark with a nice tight head and nice lacing too.

Smelled hoppy but also dark and maybe a little bit fruity as well.

Nice sweet hoppy taste with a bit of darkness to it. Oily mouthfeel and finish is nice too.

Very intense beer that I will be getting again.

Poured into a pint glass at Avenue pub, New Orleans

Appearance: 1/2 inch head, black in color, opaque

Smell: caramel and pine hops

Taste: big pine hops, charred malt, and a bit of cream

Mouthfeel: medium carbonation, medium body, sweet with a bitter aftertaste

Drinkability: I could have a couple over a long night. I like the nice deep charred malt and pine--my favorite ipa flavor. One of the better in style, yet I think I would reach for others in style first.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A- Dark chocolate brown color and head is tan and 1 finger. Opaque and lacing is very thick and sheety.

S- Very hoppy and a tad smoky and roasty.

T- Smoky and burntlike malts. Alcohol is strong and the IBU's are very high. This beer is a black IPA to me. Rich and pretty complex with some chocolate and liquorice.

M- Medium to thick and high carbonation.

D- Somewhat low due to alcohol taste and strength of the brew.

Overall- This one is a little overrated to me. Just a little bit too "in your face" but I guess that is what Stone is good at. All in all, good brew though. Very consistant for the brewery.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A - poured to a frozen tumbler- large head that I had to wait on to get the entire glass poured. Dark chocolate color w/ decent clarity

S - light hoppy aroma

T - a decent beer but not one of Stone's best efforts. Seemed like a cross between a golden ale and a poorly made stout

M - good carbonation

O - worth the try but not going to fit on my list of regulars

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a deep, dark plum-ish red body with some ruby showing through at the edges. Attractive light tan head that sticks around for long enough. Nice lacing.

Fragrant, estery hops are first to hit the olfactory cells, followed by some grapefruit and pine, and lastly, a bit of sweet, bready malt.

Grapefruit is there in the first sip, followed by some pine and citrus, and some solid, bready malt.

Mouthfeel is medium-full bodied with an appropriate amount of carbonation.

Though the hops are pretty powerful and the ABV is up there, I could do with another glass or two of this.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale poured the color of mud with a short head that died quickly. It left a good amount of lace.

This is a dark moldy cellar of an ale. Although it was less "dark," and more balanced, than the color suggested, the smell and taste were still dominated by earthy moldy pine, with a hint of citric sweetness. The feel was thick and aggressive, with tons of bitterness. For me a glass was perfect, but an entire bomber was too much.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance
Black with a short tan head that dissipates quickly.

Nose
Pine, citrus, roasted barley, caramel and Cola.

Taste
Roasted barley, caramel, Cola and Tootsie Roll. Pine needles, lemon zest, orange rind and grapefruit skin. Hints of pineapple and starfruit. Espresso, dark chocolate and notes of charcoal linger in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Medium bodied, crisp, bitter and dry.

Overall
Black IPAs have always been an odd mix to me. Everything is there...Roasty-ass IPA.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours a dark mahogany color with two fingers of head that faded slowly with nice lacing. The aroma is a mix of sweet molasses and toasted malt. The taste is thick, sweet and creamy at the front end, followed by a earthy bitterness and some slight astringency from the roasted malts. The finish is slow and lingering with some warming. Body is on the thick side of medium, and drinkability is very good given that its running 8.7%. Pretty tasty.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

Appearance-Pours a rich dark brown into the glass and a sumptuous light tan head rises leaving very sticky lace all along the sides as it ever so slowly recedes. This is something of a lace monster leaving super-chunky lace all along the sides which is extremely impressive given its ABV, Stone rarely disappoints.

Aroma-Clean, fresh, rich west-coast hops dominate the aroma with a strong piny, woody scent followed by a smell of sharp citrus fruits; I can detect, tangerine, lemon, orange most outstandingly. The fruity hoppiness give way to an undercurrent of malts that smell reminiscent of sticky toffee on towards the finish. This beer has a really wonderful aroma.

Taste-The first thing that assails the palette are the hops and burnt malt and...unfortunately that's it. I hate to say it but the flavor is a little underwhelming, it almost tastes as though they were trying to balance the dark malt and the hops a little 'too' much and ended up watering down both flavors. The hops could be tweaked a bit to give it more of that grapefruit/citric character and the malts turned up to get more of that dark chocolate taste which would make this beer really amazing. It's still a good beer, just not as good as what I've come to expect from Stone and what could potentially be an amazing beer.

Mouthfeel-The mouthfeel is quite nice, thick and rich; just like it should be.

Drinkability-Decent, it's not up to Stone's usual standards though; it's a tad of a chore to drink.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A - dark, deep black almost stout like with a thick, caramel brown head. Nice lacing left as the glass was emptied

S - roasty coffee like notes in the nose , with a balance of citrusy Hops with a note nuttiness

T - complex roasted malt backbone with a strong hops punch. Coffee notes and a nice well rounded overall balance of some very complex flavors

M - medium carbonation , with a crisp feel

D - nicely drinkable beer, very complex but not in any way overpowering

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured from a bomber into a tulip glass. Was glad to see this beer at my local beer store!

A- I don't know what I was expecting, but this beer is even darker and thicker than I expected. The dark brown color is topped with a tanish head that dissipates quickly. This looks much like a black IPA.
S- Like most Stone beers there is a strong hop aroma. It is more citrus than pine, but both smells are there. Maybe a hint of chocolate or maybe I'm just hoping its there. This smells much like a black IPA
T- Not quite what I was expecting; more bitter, dry, and earthy. A very dry hop almost grainy taste. As this beer warms a burnt malty flavor does come through, but can no way over power the bitter hops.
M- This is a medium bodied beer in my opinion. Although it is dark, it drinks like a lighter beer. The finish is VERY DRY!!! I can hardly put down the glass before I need another sip.
D- This beer is growing on me. This is not the first beer I would go for, but it is very drinkable. The 8.7 ABV is hardly noticeable and it would be easy to drink too many of these.

Overall this is another good beer by Stone. Again Stone puts out another beer I like, but nothing to go out of my way for. I guess I am a little confused with my styles. This is classified as an American Strong Ale, but I thought it was a Black IPA until I read the description. What ever it is, the beer is solid and would recommend it to hop lovers.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Since I can't make it to Stone Winter Storm I thought I'd pay tribute by having my bottle of Stone 11th Anniversary today. Served in a Stone pint glass.

A - Pours with two-plus fingers of soapy light tan foam. Excellent retention and a few chunks of sticky lace. Body is a transparent dark ruby red-brown with some visible bubbles.

S - Wow, there's still a good amount of pine and citrus hoppiness, even after two and a half years. Actually it's quite shocking, as this doesn't seem significantly less hoppy than the Sublimely Self-Righteous I had six months ago. There's a spicy malt backbone with some burnt sugar and a touch of cocoa.

T - Taste is quite similar to Sublimely Self-Righteous, with intense grapefruit bitterness and some peripheral cocoa sweetness. It seems a little mellower, but not by much. Aftertaste is a stupidly strong amount of grapefruit bitterness.

M - Mouthfeel is pretty much identical to SSR - "Moderate carbonation, medium body, lots of residual stickiness and hop oil character. Maybe a touch of warmth after I finished half the bomber."

D - I get the sense this isn't going to get any less bitter - however if you really loved this beer then you can rest assured it's holding up just fine. Same criticisms as I had about SSR - "The bitterness is kind of crazy - I'll finish this bomber, but this isn't something where I'll be rushing out for more bottles. I think it could have used a little more malt sweetness to keep things in balance."

This was nearly identical to SSR, but without as much lacing. Not my favorite Stone offering, but an interesting experience nonetheless.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

A- far darker then I would have thought after my first sip from from the bottle.

S- Roasty, citrusy, sweet. Quite an interesting mix.

T- Heavy malt background with heavy hops up front. Finishes dry.

M- Semi-creamy mouthfeel. A hop dominating beast, could clearly appreciate being aged a year.

D- Delicious.

3.9/5  rDev -7.6%

22oz dated bottle poured into a tulip glass.

pours dark brown with a thick tan head that slowly devolves into a thin film. leaves behind some nice sparkly, intricate lacing. that's right, sparkly.

smells beautifully of floral hops and citrus fruits. picking up grapefruit, orange and perhaps some berry notes with a bit of a nutty undertone. taste follows nose with added flavors of carmel and toasted malts and a dry, bitter finish. hop character is strong, and alcohol is hidden pretty well. malt character seems to come out a little more as it warms, almost reminds me of a scotch ale.

mouthfeel is on the medium to heavy side with a slightly oily quality. carbonation gives the bitterness a little more bite and helps the flavors pop, but feels a bit coarse.

this is quite an interesting beer from stone, but not one i could drink all the time. considering the higher abv and strong hop character i'd say you'd be done after 1 or 2 of these. ipa fans will love this, everyone else has quite the adventure ahead of them.

Sampled on 10-23-07

Pours a deep brown color, with a foamy tan head that goes on and on.

Smell is all big hops, some citrus. There is an almost soapy quality to it, although not a bad thing. Aromas exude bitterness, but the whole thing is a bit one-dimensional.

Taste is gigantic, sweet and sour hops, lots of grapefruit and other citrus. As it goes down the hops take a more grassy, earthy turn, and just a hint of a malt backbone comes through. The finish is slick and very bitter, with the alcohol adding a nice bite.

Mouthfeel is very good, the thick, oily feel really adds to the intense hop aromas, flavor, and bitterness.

Drinkability is decent, but the hoppiness, bitterness, and alcohol form a brutal combo.

Overall, I liked this beer. It's a complete surprise to have such a hoppy beer after it pours more like a stout. Stone was trying to mix things up a bit here, and it's a nice change. I think this will really be something in a year's time. Recommended.

3.89/5  rDev -7.8%

Definitely an experience. I'll buy a 6pk of this and drink an occasional one here and there. Too rich to drink 2-3, but still exquisite enough to appreciate from time to time.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Serving: Small tulip tasting glasses, 2010 Vintage

A - Dark as ever, good lacing and medium head retention.

S - Still hoppy on the nose with chunks of chocolate and tobacco.

T - Subtle hops, amazed at how much hop flavor there was still even after the 2 1/2 years aging. I was actually pleasantly surprised at the deliciousness. Similar tasting notes to the aroma. Bigger chocolate on the palate and cleanly dry finish

M - As noted, dry finish but good carbonation remained.

O - Still a great beer. When I buy my yearly case I might start aging half of them as they were different yet delicious.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Dark brown with a tan head showing some good retention. Lots of hop bitterness on the aroma with some pine and citrus note taking the lead. Citrus again on the palate with orange/lemon peel type bitterness that's backed by a subtle malt sweetness. Definitely hop-forward, but it shows a considerable amount of balance despite being less than subtle. Sounds contradictory I guess but it's a unique beer to be sure and while not the greatest stone offering it's definitely a good beer that deserves a try.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

Appearance - "Pitch dark" as the label says. A nice white head that retains nicely and laces as well.

Smell - Some piny hop smell still resides in this aged brew, though I'm sure much muted than in 07. Instead the chocolate malts and spice are much more forward in the nose.

Taste- Follows the smell almost perfectly. Sweet, roasted chocolate malts and cinnamon spice up front, with some very muted piny hops providing a nice bitter finish.

Mouthfeel - Well carbonated and medium bodied.

Drinkability - Still somewhat hot from the alcohol, which I thought would have mellowed a bit more. Still tasty and easy on the way down and a great brew for a hot summer night.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

I think it’s hilarious what name recognition does. I tried a VERY similar beer last week called BarrelHouse Boss Cox Double Dark IPA and all the reviews are substantially lower than here. Pours a very dark ruby, almost black with a couple fingers of lacy tan head that stays well. Smells of grassy hops and a little malt. Tastes malty with bitter almost pineapple hops with a different hop profile that I’m now realizing is particular to this style. Medium in the mouth with good carbonation. Took a little time to finish. The better of the two Dark IPAs that I’ve tried. Though it’s not a bad style, I still prefer is predecessor.

3.88/5  rDev -8.1%

22oz bottle. Pours a virtually black color with a 1/2 inch of brown head. Minimal lacing. Aroma is chocolatey and boozey. Some coffee and only a bit of hops. Taste is of piney and floral hops. Maybe some chocolate and coffee flavors but they are certainly in the background. The hops are the main focus here. This one smelled boozey but taste wise there isn't a lot of alcohol flavor. This is a pretty solid beer and certainly does taste like a Stone. Overall, I dig it and will grab it again.

First had: on tap at Miller's Pub, Chicago, IL

Poured into a pint glass a coffee brown with a nice, foamy, beige head that retained and laced decently. I really love this style of beer. Dark malts and dark fruits in the aroma, but a definite citrus hop presence like you'd get from your typical IPA. Smooth dark malts in the taste, molasses, brown sugar, quickly overcome by lots of citrusy hops, though the maltiness lingers on in the background. Flavorful and medium-bodied. Another highly drinkable beer from the consistently excellent Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.