2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,630 | Reviews: 1,803 | Show All Ratings:
StoutHunter

3.73/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Stone's Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale last week for $3.19 at The Lager Mill. I've been working on trying more beers from Stone and since I have never seen this beer on the shelf before I figured I should give it a try, so lets see how it goes. Bottling date was not visible, i think it rubbed off, but it just showed up at the store so I think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The bottle looks pretty good with a big evil looking devil like figure that is pretty eye catching. It poured a pretty dark black color that didn't really let any light come through and it was pretty much pitch black with two and a half fingers worth of cream medium dark tan head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and left lots of sticky rings of lacing behind. This is a very good looking beer, there's nothing at all wrong with it, the head and lacing were awesome.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a nice mixture of hop aromas, the citrus hops seem to stick out the most with some grapefruit aromas coming through and there were some grassy and earthy hop aromas in the background. Up next comes the malts which show up a medium amount and impart some roasted malt aromas along with some light chocolate, coffee, caramel and smokey aromas with some more chocolate and caramel and maybe a little bit of toffee coming through towards the end. The aroma was pretty good, I liked the contrast between the hop profile and the roasted malts.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of sweetness followed by a pretty large amount of hops, the citrus, earthy and grassy hop aspects that I got in the aroma show up in the taste, but the they are much more balanced and the citrus hops show up just as much as the grassy and earthy hop aspects. Up next comes a medium amount of malts that impart a roasty, slightly charred and slightly smokey flavor with some lighter chocolate, coffee and caramel flavors showing up in the background. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness with a bitter hoppy aftertaste with a slight bit of roasted malts coming through. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought the hop profile could have had a little more citrus hop aspect like the aroma and I thought the bitterness was a little too much.

M- Not the smoothest, creamy, a slightly lighter amount of medium warming alcohol, on the fuller side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked good with this beer for the most part but it could have been smoother.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and a nice example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but the hop profile didn't impress me as much as other Black IPA's and the bitterness was just a little too aggressive in this beer. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't too smooth, and the alcohol was a little too warming for it's strength, but the flavors did a decent job at holding my attention, one would be enough for me, I think the bitterness would really start to wear on me if I had more then one. What I like the most about the beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both very good with appearance being the best, it may be the best looking Black IPA I have ever seen. What I liked the least about this beer was the flavor, it wasn't bad, I just wish the hop profile highlighted those citrus hops that I got in the aroma more and I thought the bitterness was just too intense for this beer, it would really help the drinkability if it was toned down. I wouldn't buy this again, it's no a bad beer, but there's many more Black IPA's that I like more than this one so I don't think I will be revisiting it anytime soon and I think it's a little overpriced but I would recommend that any fan of the style at least give it a try. All in all I was a little let down with this beer, Stone is very good with hoppy beers, but this one fell a little short in my eyes and it didn't have a hop profile that kept me coming back for me, better luck next time guys.

08-01-2013 03:49:59 | More by StoutHunter
Padron4KM

Arizona

22 oz bomber.

Dark brown with ruby highlights and a thin tan head.

Aroma is piney, roasty and a slight whiff of alcohol.

Flavor is piney up-front, with some citrus, chocolate and dark fruits lurking around.

Finish is long and piney, but there is enough malt balance to keep it from drying out.

This should age well.

09-14-2007 05:51:15 | More by Padron4KM
genog

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Pours a rich dark brownish black color with cascading carbonation coming after the pour. Head is dark brown and a thick 3 inches that lingers and leaves a lot of great lacing. Aroma is hoppy followed by a toasted malt presence. I can also smell some grapes I believe. Taste is bitter followed by an overly sweet hoppy flavor, and a lot of raisins making this one seem like a barleywine type flavor. Mouthfeeling is oily and soft carbonation. Somewhat heavy on the alcohol.

10-09-2007 21:02:59 | More by genog
DackAchan

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Good appearance. Pours dark with a nice one finger mocha head that laces slightly.

S- Decent smell, can smell the hops in it.

T- Good taste, wonderful hops taste. Slight lemon taste to it with a bitter aftertaste.

M- Decent mouthfeel. Slight bite, heavy body. can feel the alcohol as it goes down.

D- The drinkablity is down because of the high alcohol content and the bitterness. But, if you like IPAs, this is a good one, but not as good as Ruination.

01-02-2008 17:55:06 | More by DackAchan
paytoplay

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Cask at O'Briens SD. Funky, blast of hops on the nose. A bit of sweetness, very complex, herb and vegital. Extremely long length. Color was black with a brown standard type cask head. Hops really dominate and the malt create a unique brew. Much different from the 11th bottle enjoyed a week prior. Interested to see how current bottles compare.

Serving type: cask

02-06-2009 17:27:25 | More by paytoplay
hrking

Indiana

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

had this on tap at The legendary Herot in downtown Muncie. Nice beer from Stone that delivers your typical Stone hops but this one is not too in your face like many of their beers are. Maybe they have learned to tone down the hops just a little to k=make their beers more drinkable. Nice hop aroma with citrus hop flavors that lead you into a well balanced IPA. Nice product from these IPA masters..recommend

01-04-2010 19:34:16 | More by hrking
Sean9689

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Thanks to womencantsail, who gave this to me as an extra in a recent trade. 22oz bomber poured into a Goose Island pint glass.

A - Pours a very dark brown, might just be black, with a couple fingers-worth of tan frothy head. After the initial pour, there's still a decently large cap on top with a bunch of lacing along the sides. A really nice looking beer, no doubt about it.

S - Bitter hops/citrus, orange peel, some sweet chocolate/malt and roasted nuts. A nice meld of bitterness and malts.

T - Strong hoppy bitterness up front, roasted peanuts, malts, floral notes as well. Maybe a little too much going on here for me, but overall, it's good but not great. Very bitter finish.

M - Medium bodied, frothy carbonation, oily finish.

D - Not all too high, but something nice if you're tired of straight-up hop bombs or sweet stouts. I'm not going to seek this one out but if it's in front of me, I'll drink it.

04-11-2010 22:46:05 | More by Sean9689
Jwale73

Rhode Island

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

22oz. bottle served in my ST tulip. Poured the color of cola with a dense, three inch mocha-colored head. Some red highlights revealed around the base when backlit. Head eventually dissipates into a soapy skim that coalesces around the shoulders. Generous bands and strands of lacing were revealed during the tasting. Nose reveals lots of malt, brown sugar and molasses off the pour. Out of the glass some light hops aromas come across in the back. Taste follows nose, but the hops bitterness really asserts itself at the back and lingers between quaffs, slightly detracting from the experience. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a level background carbonation and a slightly creamy texture. Not a bad brew and reasonably priced at $6.99, but the lingering bitterness was a little off-putting for me.

04-14-2010 23:36:56 | More by Jwale73
RossCain

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a Piraat tulip:

A: Pours from the bottle a mahogany hue and settles in the glass nearing black in color. The beer initially pours with a cascading, light brown and bubbly head that sits around for a while as it clings to the sides of the glass upon its retreat.

S: Aggressive fresh hops upfront with very strong notes of sweet citrus such as navel orange and apricot with a certain grass-like/floral undertone. You can pick up upon a mild, well blended roasty character in the finish of the nose that pairs nicely with the hops.

T: A tasty, hop forward brew with a bittersweet citrus profile upfront. Aggressive floral and citrus hops are dominant but become decently blended with a (very light) roasted malt profile that pops its head in as the bitterness peaks and mellows out the finish a bit. The finish has a taste that gives off notes of bittersweet orange accented dark chocolate. The alcohol profile is for the most part completely masked.

However, there exists a lingering of a bitter taste upon the palate after sipping that would very easily compare to the same you would expect if you had drank unsweetened cocoa mixed with water. Not exactly pleasant but it seemed to tone down after I was about halfway through the bomber.

M: Dry, medium bodied, with carbonation on the lighter side (could have been a little more). As previously noted, the beer really lingers upon the roof of the mouth with an astringent, bitter characteristic that doesn't subside until you take another sip.

D: The beer was certainly tasty but really took some time to wear on me due to the astringent aftertaste that filled my palate in the beginning (imagine bitter hops + cacoa bean). Definitely a sipper. Not a beer that lacks on flavor in any means and it was not a problem to finish the bottle, however it is not something that I would likely pick up again as it does not exactly stick out among its peers.

Overall, I really wished for there to be a little more emphasis on the roasted malt character in this beer but this seems to have been sacrificed for a more aggressive hop profile. As it stands there was definitely something left to be desired.

01-20-2011 01:56:04 | More by RossCain
SkeeterHawk

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

It's funny, I must have picked this beer up and then put it back down for some reason and not purchased it. I thought that I had it, and went to review it one day and I could only find a bottle of the Imperial Russian Stout. Well, I felt denied, so I was at Spec's yesterday and saw it...and picked up a bottle. Now that I have conquered the hard part...acquiring the beer...let's give it a go...

Appearance: Pours as dark as it could be...well, not really, but there is no light passing through it even from the corner of the glass. There is a thin tan head of small bubbles that is standing for quite some time, so there must be quite a few bubbles rising to maintain it. There is some pretty serious lacing left on the glass after drinking the beer.

Aroma: The aroma is dominated by hops with American citrus abound. There is a decent amount of malt in there, but you have to concentrate to get through the hops. There are some toasty and slightly nutty notes in there to give the malt some backbone. You can pick up the "chalky" aromas that you get from dry-hopped beer, but I am not sure that this is dry-hopped. It may just have a S**t-load of hops and that is the aroma that is lingering after fermentation. Either way, the hops are really generous to say the least.

Taste: The flavor is also seriously hoppy, but there is enough malt in there to give some balance all the way until the finish. The hops win out in the conquest for control of the finish, but the malt doesn't give up easily. It doesn't take long for there to accumulate a decent burn on the back of the throat that I think is a combination of Alcohol, hop bitterness, and dark grains...but it is a bit much to linger after only a couple sips. The mouthfeel is medium with ample carbonation. The beer is solid, but is pretty well attenuated and leaves the palate pretty dry and acidic.

Opinion: This is a pretty good beer, but like so many of the West Coast brewers, this beer is just way too out of balance for my particular taste. It has some significant malt, but at 8.7%, how could you not? This beer is a hop-monster, which for some people is the "nectar of the Gods", but I prefer my nectar to be drinkable sip after sip. This beer gets rough and ugly on the palate after a few sips, forcing you to take a drink of water to "reset" your palate. That is a bit much for me. This beer is OK, but I don't think that I would drink it again...especially not a whole 22oz bomber by myself like I am tonight.

02-12-2011 03:59:34 | More by SkeeterHawk
TheSixthRing

3.7/5  rDev -12.3%

Appearance - Pours a near pitch black with light penetrating only the outer edges to reveal a reddish brown tint.The head is light tan and a good 2 and 1/2 fingers thick, excellent retention, resulting in an average, but sticky lace.

Smell - Hop forward, peppery spice and an orange citrus, along with notes of darkly roasted coffee malt. An enticing aroma, I just wish it was stronger.

Taste - Aggressively hopped. Predominately citrus, with a healthy, dark malt background. Coffee and a touch of sweet caramel. More dark malt character emerges as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - Medium to full body. Carbonation is right on the money.

Overall - Beautiful CDA (black ipa). Wonderful all around balance. I don't know what else to say, except I wish it was more affordable, as I'd drink it a hell of a lot more often.

Re-review 11/18/12- I had this on tap a few months ago and was disappointed ,and now I'm having it again from the bottle, and I gotta say it's just as disappointing. Too much bitter pine character overruns the entire experience. I don't know if the bottle I had initially was old and the hops had mellowed to the point that other flavors were able to shine through, or if there's been a change in the brewing process, but it's been a pure pine bomb the last few times I've had it. My score now reflects my latest assessment, which is far less favorable.

05-06-2012 03:59:52 | More by TheSixthRing
Belgianbeerbunny

3.69/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's difficult to review a style that I don't enjoy. I tend to like Belgian anything (except Lambics and Geuzes), porters and stouts. Although this bottle didn't say "IPA", I suspected that anything coming out of Stone would be very hoppy.

A - It looks like something I'd want to drink - black as night with a 1/2 inch head leaving nice lacing.

T - Then I get a whiff of the hops and pine. It smells like I'm about to drink a Daisy Cutter. (Not that I mind a Daisy Cutter every once in a while, especially is I'm up at Half-Acre.) I don't taste the malt or yeast at the end. Just pine and hops.

M - Medium body. Someone else said "oily" and I'm going to go with that. Is it the pine oil?

O - If I was entertaining an IPA-lover, I would get them this. Usually I do buy Daisy Cutter or Dog Fish Head 90 Minute IPA, but this would be good in the IPA rotation.

03-03-2013 23:13:49 | More by Belgianbeerbunny
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.69/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

Black at the body, you get dark ruby hues around the edge. Great color and a bubbly yet firm, khaki head creates a very nice appearance.

Sweet candied fruits and dry fruitiness hit the nose. Hints of chocolatey sweetness and breadiness hide inside prune, raisin and must.

Strong hop flavor and dry pineyness assault the tongue. Dried fruit flavors such as prune or raisin are enveloped in strong pine and metallic tastes. No roast, no toast and no malt flavor can be found in a very dry to the palate feel. Strong metal after taste sits in the mouth and a harsh dryness stays for some time.

This resembles an IPA with little Black qualities in the taste. The scent got my hopes up but the taste and feel really let me down.

03-30-2013 20:51:18 | More by KYGunner
Jmamay22

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

This Black IPA pours a very dark black with a tan colored head. Certainly has the black part of Black IPA completed. Wonderful webbing and rings of sticky lacing.

Smells very hoppy and very much like an IPA. Looks can be very deceiving.

Tastes of resinous hops. Very bitter, but the grapefruit, piney, and grass flavors are lacking and leave mostly a bitter flavor. Fortunately, there are some caramel malt flavors that jump in.

Mouthfeel is medium and the carbonation serves to enhance the biting hop flavors. Drinkability is high for the abv, but the hops are a little out of whack for me and hurt the drinkability a bit.

More of a Double Black IPA than the Black IPA name it has earned. It is reminiscent of a Black Ruination, but slightly lacking.

10-15-2007 20:55:05 | More by Jmamay22
JDV

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Black pour with a big tan head in a tulip. Smell is quite hoppy and some dark malt notes in there as well. Or maybe that is just my eyes projecting that on what otherwise is very IPA like. Taste is strong, bitter, and hoppy. Some dark roast flavors show up, but mostly what you'd expect from a strong rich heavy IPA. Light alcohol presence, but this is still nicely drinkable.

03-01-2008 22:22:26 | More by JDV
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

22 oz bomber. The beer pours a deep deep brown color with a light coating of tan head over top. There is a mild stream of carbonation in it, and clarity is hard to gauge due to the dark color of the brew. Good looker here. The aroma is interesting. There is a nice pungent hop that is coming across very earthy and piney, though I imagine that fresh it was more brilliant. There is a strong malt backbone in there, with a good bit of bready and melanoidan toastyness. There is a hint of anise spicyness as well. It is an interesting mix. The flavor brings an initial hop that is slightly citrusy and earthy, this is followed by a peculiar malt flavor. I get bready and molasses qualities with an infusion of spicy anise. The hop bitterness really hits along with the sharpness that gives me a molasses. I find the bitterness to be a little too harsh for my liking. Mouthfeel is moderate to thick, with a light carbonation. It has a bit of slickness to it. Overall, I think the flavors clash a bit in here. I find the hop bitterness to linger a bit too strong on my tongue. This one is certainly good, but I think it is a little too forceful and slightly unrefined overall to me.

03-24-2008 02:16:48 | More by kmpitz2
MacDomer

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Shout out to PretzelCity for hooking me up with this in a trade - thanks a lot!

22 oz. bomber poured into my Duvel tulip. Looks nice - it's pretty dark, if not black, but I see some light coming through the edges. The head is pretty pillowy. Some light tan lacing clings to the glass. The nose made me say wow right away. Not so much a "this is great" wow, but a "this is interesting" wow. There's pine and citrus, and orange, some fruity sweetness, and then comes in the roastiness at the end with coffee tones, and light caramel malt. When I taste it, I can tell that it's not fresh (which I wasn't expecting of course), but it still is pretty hoppy. It's a bit sweet, prickly, with some grassiness, then comes in the roasty chocolate character - it's quite interesting. I'm not sure if I'm really into it, but it sure is fun to try. Pretty good overall, quite unique. I was thinking that I'd pick up a Sublimely Self Righteous if I come across one, since I'm really curious to try this one fresh.

03-18-2009 04:03:39 | More by MacDomer
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle into Sam Adams lager glass. Let this one warm up to cellar temps before even thinking about diving in, it gets really weird lower down.

Pours black with a thin fluffy tan cap that sticks around. Looks like a stout, but doesn't move like one - less viscous. If that makes sense.

Nose is floral, massively full of citrus (grapefruit, oranges), piny, some licorice and dark fruit underneath.

Taste - whoa. Wow. This one is interesting. Big time hop presence leads to massive resiny pine hops up front, surrounded by a chocolaty, roasty malt body, some caramel, with some star anise notes around the edges. Finish is massively piny, bitter. This is like an Imperial India Schwarzbier. Only an ale, which totally throws everything off with my analogy. Personally, I think a little bit of time to let the hops settle down would do wonders for this one, as they're just a bit out of control right now, but man does this one have a lot of potential. Still, way too much piny hop bitterness in its current state.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, lighter than expected, crisp carbonation while still a bit creamy. Overly bitter on the lingering finish.

A really interesting beer, but I'd have a hard time drinking a lot of this. Wow.

05-26-2009 17:00:52 | More by JohnQVegas
CONOR8832

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

A - chocolate and coffee life in color, nice froathy light brown head, nice lacing left on glass.

S - Some carmel/sweet malty notes then finishes off with good hoppy notes.

T - Nice earthy flavor, bittersweet like dark chocolate, mild caramel flavor, then finshes off with a good lingering hoppy bite.

M - Low/mild carbination, nice creamy feel, medium bodied, bitter dry lingering after taste.

D - Good dark ale, more hoppy than the appearance and smell make it out to be. Stone hits another home run on this brew.

08-17-2010 13:22:47 | More by CONOR8832
alcstradamus

Washington

Reviewed from notes

Pours a dark shade of crimson with two fingers of head and nice lacing. The flavor is bright with a floral and citrusy hop profile. The taste is very bitter initially with an earthy hop profile that is good but quite boring to my palate. The body is medium with low carbonation. Overall this is a tasty but highly uneventful beer.

08-18-2010 23:33:10 | More by alcstradamus
callmemickey

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Dark brown body with a darker off white head that approaches a soft sand-khaki. Spotty lacing remains as the head slowly subsided.

S: Roasted malt, chocolate, pine, fresh grass, and bark.

T: I am really not sure what the appeal is with these "black IPAs." The nose hinted at a harmonious marriage of darker roasted, toasted, and earthy malts with earthy, resinous, pine hops. Unfortunately, the flavor doesn't really come together as well. The malts used here added a bit too much sweetness and contrasted a bit harshly with the hops which sliced their way forward, but with a bit inconsistency.

When dealing with IPAs/dIPAs I like to think of malt as a canvas and the hops as paint. A quality canvas is necessary for the paint to adhere to, standout from, and leave a lasting impression. That said, the malts don't need to be bland, boring and hidden. But the canvas can't be full of ridges and valleys that alternately shed and pool the paint. Here the malt did just that, spiking out at times with too much malt, and at times just assaulting with bitter hops.

All said, it wasn't unpleasant. Just a tad frustrating with what "could" have been done here.

M: Medium bodied. Prickly carbonation. A bit of excess sweetness in the finish that could have been more crisp and defined.

D: A good, style-bending beer. Not sure if the experiment works for me in the long run though.

09-27-2010 00:09:58 | More by callmemickey
garymuchow

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

Sample #2 from the recently purchased in MN Stone beers.
Begins with a fresh hop fragrance the grows in citrus to tart and sour and full on grapefruit. Slight oily quality as well. Hard to pick up the malt character but more hints of roast.
Black body that show red highlights in the light (also clear). Dark head that settles slowly without ever completely leaving.
At first a nice malt character with a sweetness up front with roast and the roast reappearing at the finish with a dryness. But in time the malt flavors get overwhelmed by the hop flavors and especially the hop bitterness. Seems like lots and lots of cascade with a full-n grapefruit flavor. Bitterness is extended in the long finish. There are other hop flavors intermixed but too often over powered. At a couple of points a mild alcohol taste appeared.
Smooth carbonation with a moderate body.
Boy there are some nice flavors here, but my palate was overwhelmed too often.
Beergoggles noted regarding the text on the bottle, "blah, blah, blah get on with it".

03-30-2011 19:24:44 | More by garymuchow
Internatbrewlove

3.68/5  rDev -12.8%

This black ale pours a dark toffee color with a fine generous head. The aroma is one of citrus and malt. The taste is a mixture of chocolate, coffee, and very dominant Cascade hops. Definitely a "hop slammer's" beer. If you love strong hoppy beers this one is well balanced with malty undertones.

BTW, this beer tastes uncommonly good with peanuts!

07-23-2011 03:08:44 | More by Internatbrewlove
TexIndy

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a pint glass. Lasered enjoy by date on bottom of 8/18/09. Was dark brown almost black in color with some mahogany edges against the light. Good lacing. It had a massive 3 finger than head that ever so slowly settled to a constant foam.

Being Stone, the aroma was heavy hops - floral and pine resin. Also had some darker fruit aroma in the back. Not much else could escape the hops. The taste was really good but definitely a hop attack. Tonuge is shredded barely a 1/3 of the way into it. I like bitter hops but this one just goes over the enjoyable line into the pain area. Makes it tough to finish since numb at the end.

Overall, a really good beer that definitely brings the hops. For me, this is a good sharing beer as it's painfully bitter after awhile. Glad I got to try it as I missed getting the Stone 11 (this is that just re-released and re-labeld) but one is enough.

[1x]

07-12-2009 03:02:24 | More by TexIndy
ManVersusBeer

3.65/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours deep and dark like a stout or coca-cola with its red-tinged hue. Head is big and fluffy and the lightest brown around, but lingers until it settles nicely on top of the brew. Lacing is quite thick and prominent.
Smell is bitter hops with a roasted note. There is a weird plastic-like bitterness mixed with lemon and its rind coming through as well.
Taste is pine and citrus to start then melds into a woodsy tree bark feel. Roasted hazelnuts with a bit of toffee and alcohol are present on the lips before more pine, orange and bittersweet lemon oil approaches.
Mouthfeel is smooth and fatty, kinda like bacon, and carbonation is light. It goes down quite easily and doesn't seem to be 8.7% like the label says, but when it is all finished the head and body will definitely experience the alcohol.
A solid brew with interesting flavors and roast. It's hard for Stone to do wrong.

03-24-2010 23:53:03 | More by ManVersusBeer
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.