1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -70.4%

1.25/5  rDev -70.4%

1.35/5  rDev -68%

Ok, the nastiest beer I have had since Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. The taste is horrible. It makes me want to vomit immediately and I had to do some serious meditating to get down a few swigs. However, the bottle cap came off easily, so maybe that has something to do with it. But in my experience I noticed darker beers are not for me. This is disgusting, do not buy it!

1.44/5  rDev -65.9%

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

1.5/5  rDev -64.5%

1.61/5  rDev -61.8%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A: beautiful rich dark brown in color. Nice head, 2-3 fingers worth.

S: hoppy, piney-tar

T: wow,it's really hoppy! Did not expect it to be so bitter. Notes of pine, tiny little aftertaste of chocolate, but overhwlemed by the bitter metallic flavor. So bitter and metallic. It doesn't mellow either. Yikes!

M: good carbonation, nice thickness

O: I was so excited when I first poured it, rich head, great color... I got excited. Then, I smelled it, hoppy, pine, tar. The taste was so bitter, it has some depth which might become more noticeable if it weren't so bitter. Overall, I am underwhelmed. Perhaps if you like bitter, hoppy, metallic beers you might like it. I am not impressed.

Note: I would be willing to try it at a warmer temp., perhaps it might mellow out or add some depth. I just don't get the bitter beer movement.

1.75/5  rDev -58.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Shared a bomber bottle with my brother that he bought. Interestingly, as he was shopping for a craft beer, he was told by the clerk if he like Coors he would like this beer????

The brew poured up a beautiful black body with a 2 finger off white head that was a beauty to behold.

It went quickly down hill from there as I noticed an off colored smell coming from the glass that resembled rotting grapefruit...

Citrus and hop taste, with a sickly sweet flavor of licorace, that for me was hard to get down. The finish had a strong alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel was like a thick coating on the roof of the mouth that stayed with me for the remainder of the evening.

Again for my uncultured taste the drinkability was poor at best, as the mix of sour grapefriut and sweet licorace was too much for my palate. In all fairness, and seeing how well liked this beer is, the bottle was most likely way past its prime. Oh yea....if you do happen to like Coors don't buy this beer thinking you will like it.

1.85/5  rDev -56.2%

From a bomber to my Darkness snifter.

Pours a dark chocolatey brown. A mountain of tan head rests upon the liquid. I sit and wait for it to come back to earth. Heavy sticky lacing remains cemented to the sides of my glass. Smells incredibly hoppy. Literally jumps out of my glass and into my nose. I get some light maltyness in the backend. Pretty lively and bubbly on my tongue. About the only thing going for it. A hoppy IPA that had sex with a malty coffee brown ale. Hate is not a strong enough word for how I feel about this beer. I'm looking for the litterbox for something to suck on to get this taste out of my mouth. I had have the glass and dumped everything else down the drain. Not before I gave my wife a sip to make sure I wasn't crazy. The look of horror on her face was enough of an answer for me, words were not needed.

Another horrible offering from this company. They have one more chance with me. Their RIS. Hopefully that is good. As it stands right now if Stone was giving me free beer I wouldn't bother drinking any of it.

bitter and did not enjoy the flavor.

2.15/5  rDev -49.1%

Personally, I thought this brew was one of the most offensive brews i've ever had... Very strong and upfront booze flavor with hidden hop. For the style, I was looking for hover hopped goodness, none was to be found.

The strong black booze was severely over taking and was very hard to get through. I almost sent back the brew once served. Way too over done; it seems Stone is going more and more this route with their brews :( I wonder if the keg lines have been cleaned recently...

Fairly decent out of the bottle, but no bueno per draft...

C at best, had I been at home... This one would have ended as a drain pour.

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

2.25/5  rDev -46.7%

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.