Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,887 | Hads: 5,836
1.42/5  rDev -66.2%

Ok, the nastiest beer I have had since Dogfish Head Indian Brown Ale. The taste is horrible. It makes me want to vomit immediately and I had to do some serious meditating to get down a few swigs. However, the bottle cap came off easily, so maybe that has something to do with it. But in my experience I noticed darker beers are not for me. This is disgusting, do not buy it!

1.66/5  rDev -60.5%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.5

A: beautiful rich dark brown in color. Nice head, 2-3 fingers worth.

S: hoppy, piney-tar

T: wow,it's really hoppy! Did not expect it to be so bitter. Notes of pine, tiny little aftertaste of chocolate, but overhwlemed by the bitter metallic flavor. So bitter and metallic. It doesn't mellow either. Yikes!

M: good carbonation, nice thickness

O: I was so excited when I first poured it, rich head, great color... I got excited. Then, I smelled it, hoppy, pine, tar. The taste was so bitter, it has some depth which might become more noticeable if it weren't so bitter. Overall, I am underwhelmed. Perhaps if you like bitter, hoppy, metallic beers you might like it. I am not impressed.

Note: I would be willing to try it at a warmer temp., perhaps it might mellow out or add some depth. I just don't get the bitter beer movement.

1.8/5  rDev -57.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Shared a bomber bottle with my brother that he bought. Interestingly, as he was shopping for a craft beer, he was told by the clerk if he like Coors he would like this beer????

The brew poured up a beautiful black body with a 2 finger off white head that was a beauty to behold.

It went quickly down hill from there as I noticed an off colored smell coming from the glass that resembled rotting grapefruit...

Citrus and hop taste, with a sickly sweet flavor of licorace, that for me was hard to get down. The finish had a strong alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel was like a thick coating on the roof of the mouth that stayed with me for the remainder of the evening.

Again for my uncultured taste the drinkability was poor at best, as the mix of sour grapefriut and sweet licorace was too much for my palate. In all fairness, and seeing how well liked this beer is, the bottle was most likely way past its prime. Oh yea....if you do happen to like Coors don't buy this beer thinking you will like it.

1.98/5  rDev -52.9%

From a bomber to my Darkness snifter.

Pours a dark chocolatey brown. A mountain of tan head rests upon the liquid. I sit and wait for it to come back to earth. Heavy sticky lacing remains cemented to the sides of my glass. Smells incredibly hoppy. Literally jumps out of my glass and into my nose. I get some light maltyness in the backend. Pretty lively and bubbly on my tongue. About the only thing going for it. A hoppy IPA that had sex with a malty coffee brown ale. Hate is not a strong enough word for how I feel about this beer. I'm looking for the litterbox for something to suck on to get this taste out of my mouth. I had have the glass and dumped everything else down the drain. Not before I gave my wife a sip to make sure I wasn't crazy. The look of horror on her face was enough of an answer for me, words were not needed.

Another horrible offering from this company. They have one more chance with me. Their RIS. Hopefully that is good. As it stands right now if Stone was giving me free beer I wouldn't bother drinking any of it.

2.23/5  rDev -46.9%

Personally, I thought this brew was one of the most offensive brews i've ever had... Very strong and upfront booze flavor with hidden hop. For the style, I was looking for hover hopped goodness, none was to be found.

The strong black booze was severely over taking and was very hard to get through. I almost sent back the brew once served. Way too over done; it seems Stone is going more and more this route with their brews :( I wonder if the keg lines have been cleaned recently...

Fairly decent out of the bottle, but no bueno per draft...

C at best, had I been at home... This one would have ended as a drain pour.

2.32/5  rDev -44.8%

A: Pours nearly opaque black with just a little bit of brown around the edges. A first a small tan head forms, but continues rising to over two fingers. The tightly packed foam gently recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Lots of spiderweb looking lace is left behind.
S: Piny hops up front and dominate. The hops are overly soapy, resiny, and oily. Fusel alcohol. Almost no malty sweetness to speak of.
T: Follows the nose. Plenty of piny and resiny hops. The taste is of Soapy dishwater detergent. A strong lingering bitterness as well as some hot alcohol.
M/D: A medium body and low carbonation. Actually a little thin and watery. Slick and oily. Lots of bitterness and hot alcohol makes this hard to drink. It will be a chore to finish the bomber.

I am not a fan of this at all. I did not get any of the malty notes others have mentioned. Just a black beer with to much soapy hops. No nuance or balance. I would not recommend this.

2.34/5  rDev -44.3%

On tap at Old Chicago in downtown Denver. Presented a pint glass with a finger of dark brown head over a black liquid. Smells piney hops with drying coffee roast. A bit piercing medicinal.

Tastes not good. Potent piney hops and drying roast malts. Combined together, they are quite unpleasant. Needs a bit more sweet to temper the edges. Actually, I doubt that increasing the malt sweet could cut the pine. With searching, a touch of caramel and also come burned grain. Alcohol presence is clear and serves to dry the finish, not a good situation. Finish is dry with lingering (but clean) hop bitterness. Md-heavy mouthfeel and moderate carbonation.

Drinkablility is quite low. I choked the beer down, in fact, almost sent it back for something else. Guess what, Stone is the new Rogue. Let's throw an overload of hops into a bunch of different base beers.

2.38/5  rDev -43.3%

Dark onyx color with a thick active 3 centimeter head that holds quite well.

Smell is somewhat vinous with elements of plums or dark cherries and some roasty dark malt undertones.

Taste is similar to the nose but there is more of the roasted malt character noticed throughout. I cant really get into this at all--too vinous and boozy. And the roasted element of the malts tastes like they are burnt.

This has to be the least enjoyed of any Stone beer I have tried.

2.43/5  rDev -42.1%

Stone sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
A-dark almost black in color
H-wispy thin head nothing or any significance.
T- heavy stout like, roasted malts, chocolate, HOPS!!! Strong
lingering hop character.
I- not very drinkable. Between the heavyness of the roasted malts and
the bitter hops it's a mouthful.

2.56/5  rDev -39%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours a midnight black color with brown hues throughout. A soft brown head with limited retention but some lacing.

Hop forward in the aroma. Some pine and citrus notes. Some herbal and bit of cat pee. Some yeasty notes, esters, rose peddles and tropical fruits and a light fig. Some buytic notes, dirty feet.

The taste follows suit per the aroma. The hops come out at first and leave a balance taste. Mostly a pine earthy almost woody note. But a strong bitterness and astringency mute the finish. Again some off yeasty notes are a bit deterrent. Fruity esters and herbal floral. Some tar like tastes that were off setting and noticeable dirty feet finish. So much so I felt this was a drain poor.

The body was moderately light. Some drying finish and ashy. astringent finishes. Carbonation was light. Overall good hop presence but because of the off yeast notes I couldn't finish it.

2.6/5  rDev -38.1%

A: Poured into a tulip glass. Pours a dark black with a minimal head. The head dissipated immediately.

S: Dark fruits, figs, slight chocolate and musty overtones. Some hop notes too.

T: Smoke, and some fruits. Astringent after taste that is not pleasant.

M: Smooth but with a bit of a carbonated edge to it.

I am pretty surprised by this one. I haven't had a lot of Black Ales, but I love Southern Tier Iniquity. The astringent aftertaste on this one makes it so I won't have another in the future.

2.71/5  rDev -35.5%

Split with airohead2001

A: Dark brown with a 3 finger tan colored head that has excellent retention and lacing.

S: There's a lot of hoppy bitterness on the nose mixed with a little bit of smokiness.

T: I'm not a big fan of the taste here. There's a lot of bitterness, and not the normal kind of pleasant bitterness that accompanies a good IPA, but rather a sort of rancid sort of staleness. There's some coffee and smokiness also, but not much else.

M: Well, there's a nice level of carbonation, but an unpleasant aftertaste. The viscosity is about what I'd expect.

D: I don't think I would drink this again unless it were already inebriated and it were handed to me for free.

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Glass: Oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Motor oil black, thick frothy mocha colored head and a really nice lacing down the side of the glass.

Aroma: Hoppy with a slight molasses, I was also getting a sweet bready aroma.

Taste: Strong hop flavor at first, a slight hay flavor was detected in quite a few sips and a bitter finish. It didn't seem to have much more than hops going for it.

Mouthfeel: Light body, thin texture with a bitter finish.

This was pretty disappointing. I'm a huge fan of Stone but this ale really didn't do anything for me. However while the taste left a lot to be desired the aroma was phenomenal.

2.86/5  rDev -31.9%

Poured vigorously into a large tulip. XI has a large khaki head that sits upon a brown opaque body of liquid. Chocolate and the signature Stone aroma wafts into the air. Smells like a vintage Double Bastard with a dark malt presence.

Flavor is extremely mellow. Hops are pretty much absent from flavor but causes a slight bitterness at the back of the palate, leaving an astringent finish. Age has tamed this beer completely. Slight burnt sugar and sweetness. I never had this fresh but if the recipe is exactly the same as Sublimely Self Righteous Ale then this is just a rusted hollow shell of it's former self.

I had an 8 or 10 month old SSR (first batch) and that seemed to be the proper amount of time if you want to age it. Dark malts had a stronger presence and the hops have only partially faded enough to be in perfect balance.

This beer is still drinkable. Alcohol is more prevalent since the beer is so unpronounced now. Carbonation is lively, I could tell immediately from the loud hiss as I opened the bottle. Definitely past its prime though.

2.86/5  rDev -31.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to gford217 for this bottle, one of two remaining survivors from an epic SS08. The final one, one of my prizes, is in the fridge & will be going down soon, too.

After four days of crappy beer in Lisbon, I really didn't need a beer to top of the jet lag tonight, but hell, I need to recall what real beer tastes like (though that port wine is really good!). This pours dark, with a foul flickering, deep red running the corners. Smells...oxidized. Oh oh.

And it is. Stone XI hasn't aged well to my palate, although my wife is quite enjoying it, so I know it's not the bottle that's gone bad. There are chimes underneath; fallen figs, heavy sherry, coffee and cream, roast. Hops are faded, but the grapefruit arrives fashionably late. As the beer warms a bit, I warm to it a bit, too. Maybe just a bit. Still lively after all this time.

Well, I now wish I'd consumed this a year ago, but based on the reviews it seemed to be still blazing strong. Decent enough beer, but I'd drink there if you have them.

2.92/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance is a nice near black colour with a thick creamy looking tan head that has decent retention time and leaves a good amount of residue on the glass.

The aroma is a great blend of pine and fruit hops, caramel and chocolate malt, with perhaps a touch of coffee as well. It's sweeter than it is rugged, and hoppier than malty. Just really nice overall.

Flavour is a blend of dirty, oily hops, with some pine and fruit coming through again (the latter a bit more so than the former). Definitely some roasted malt in the mix here too. There's a bit of alcohol harshness that mixes with the bitterness from the hops at the finish of each sip as well. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slick and oily, with a bit of hotness to it.

Aside from a nice look and a very nice aroma, I unfortunately was not a fan of this brew. It's the first Stone beer that I can recall not liking. I just felt the flavours didn't mesh well at all. The numbers will show this one as a positive recommendation, but I can't say that I can recommend this one. It's interesting for sure and has a good amount of flavour, but there's just something about this one that I didn't like. A disappointment for sure.

2.96/5  rDev -29.5%

Worst bottle of beer I've had from Stone, but I think I say that for personal reasons. I'm sure it's great to someone, but not to me. It looked really nice. finger and a half head. some lacing. Smelled kind of foul. It had the typical hops aroma, but it smelled burnt. Literally like a burnt piece of pine wood. It tasted like it smelled, literally. I dumped the second half out. Perhaps I had a bad bottle, that's why I didn't mark it any lower than I did. Scared to try again though. I will stick with Ruination as my Stone brew of choice >.>

Pretty clear dark dark brown beer with a half inch of mocha head. Wow super hoppy nose. Citrus grapefruit and pine. Some sweet caramel malt comes through as the beer airs out.

This is one of the most deceptively colored beers. Really tastes like a standard double IPA than a black IPA. Deep roasted malt comes through a touch in the beginning of the sip but huge resinous hop presence comes through almost instantly. Despite the massive amount of hops and big bitterness pretty good balance, a bit of detectable alcohol. Touch of malt but this beer is a big hop show case. If you love double IPA's you'll love it because big pretty good tasting and pretty standard. However for such a dark beer the malt really doesnt play as much of a role as you expect it. Good but I was expecting much more, especially at the price.

I did not take notes on this ale so I'm going on memory. I was not impressed with this ale. It had a burnt taste and smell. it was not very smooth. I was Ok with the hops level, but was way too harsh. This was a very OK beer. I would like to try this again to see if I had a bad bottle.

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

At first glance this beer seems very inviting. It has interesting aromas, a lovely dark color, good head retention, etc. Just what a porter or stout should look like. Then, I tasted it.

First the nose. Dry, rich, malty and the floral notes of the dry hoping coming through. Seems interesting.

The first flavors I noticed were the Amarillo hops, which I like. Floral, citrusy, yet mild. Not necessarily for a beer like this. Then I was blasted with the overly piney taste of the Simcoe hops. Normally, I love Simcoe hops. IN AN IPA, or something of that sort! Meanwhile, as I'm fighting my way past the spruce tree that just entered my mouth, I start to notice thick rich chocolate malts breaking through. Wow! Pine, Citrus and chocolate malts.

As for the mouth feel, it seemed okay, but I was to busy trying to process why a brewer would combine citrus+pine+chocolate.

Definitely not one of the better Stone beers I've enjoyed.

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from 22oz bomber into a duvel chalice.

Pours dark almost pitch black with little brown head. Very pretty.

Recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Lots lacing is left behind.

Nose is huge hops. I pick up all kinds. They are strong as hell but the floral hops smell pretty good.

Taste is just as expected by the nose. Lots of herbal, grassy, piney, resinous hops.

I am not a hop head and this was over the top hops for me. It hurts to drink it. I got so lost in the hops I could not find the malts for salvation.

The body was medium and it could have used some more carbonation.

It was hard to finish. And the herbal hops kept repeating on me for the rest of the night. I have loved most of the beers from Stone but this one was the first one I actually disliked. Almost a drain pour.

Better luck next time.

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

A - Poured a dark brown that lets little to no light through. A thin tannish head

S - Smells like it tastes: roasted malts, slight hops, toffee.

T - The malt is up front with caramel, toffee, and slight coffee notes. Transitions to a hoppy back end that's not too overpowering. Not overly complex, this beer is mostly malts.

M - Medium body beer with thin finish.

D - A decent beer from Stone; there is better out there, I'm not overly impressed with this one. I wouldn't want to drink more than one of these but this beer is definitely worth a try.

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

Intro: 64 oz. growler poured into a tulip glass. Shared with a friend.

Appearance: Little to no head that dissipates quickly however when swirled some head remains, jet black color, opaque, little carbonation and no lacing and very oily.

Smell: Slight smell of dates, figs or raisins with an alcohol odor as well.

Taste: Strong and bitter with a subdued unsweetened chocolate with prominent aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Leaves dryness in the back of the mouth but at the same time there is a motor oil consistency to the feel.

Drink: Seems to be a sipper and not a beer that improves with warming, better served cold. The taste is almost too bitter to be enjoyed.

Conclusion: I will be the first to admit that I am a card carrying full-fledged hop head and this beer may not be my cup of tea. The main objections to this beer are the bad mouth feel, the coating and aftertaste. After further contemplation, I think maybe my growler came from an old barrel that was nearly empty. My experience just doesn't come close to what I read about this beer.

3.05/5  rDev -27.4%

This brew pours black with a one finger mocha head and moderate to heavy lacing on the glass; mild carbonation.

The smell is heavy with floral hops, no real subtlety, just strong hops along with a roasted malt and burnt coffee backbone. There is also a pungent smell as well.

The tastes follows the nose with hops, then burnt coffee and roasted malts going back to hops. Not bad but not great considering all of the usual bragging that Stone does on their bottle.

The mouthfeel is thin and creamy, which might be strange for an IPA but that is how it feels. Some hop oil is left on the tongue after swallowing.

Overall this is not a bad IPA but not great. Stone over-hypes themselves by doing their usual bragging on the side of the bottle but this brew does not live up to the hype. Strong hops with no subtlety, roasted malts and burnt coffee. I would still say give it a try; I know that Stone is a popular brewery and you just might like this offering more than I.

3.06/5  rDev -27.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Pours real nice, Dark Body with a tan foamy head, nice. However I found this beer to be cloyingly sweet and not enough hop presents for an IPA in my opinion. I would expect something on the level of the regular IPA at least. I prefer other offerings from Stone, I lived just a "Stones Throw" away in Escondido, for a while. Now in Texas I find this and am left wanting, wanting a really high hopped IPA.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.