Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
swede96

1.75/5  rDev -58.5%

Shared a bomber bottle with my brother that he bought. Interestingly, as he was shopping for a craft beer, he was told by the clerk if he like Coors he would like this beer????

The brew poured up a beautiful black body with a 2 finger off white head that was a beauty to behold.

It went quickly down hill from there as I noticed an off colored smell coming from the glass that resembled rotting grapefruit...

Citrus and hop taste, with a sickly sweet flavor of licorace, that for me was hard to get down. The finish had a strong alcohol taste.

Mouthfeel was like a thick coating on the roof of the mouth that stayed with me for the remainder of the evening.

Again for my uncultured taste the drinkability was poor at best, as the mix of sour grapefriut and sweet licorace was too much for my palate. In all fairness, and seeing how well liked this beer is, the bottle was most likely way past its prime. Oh yea....if you do happen to like Coors don't buy this beer thinking you will like it.

12-10-2010 00:15:25 | More by swede96
TheDudeRules

1.85/5  rDev -56.2%

From a bomber to my Darkness snifter.

Pours a dark chocolatey brown. A mountain of tan head rests upon the liquid. I sit and wait for it to come back to earth. Heavy sticky lacing remains cemented to the sides of my glass. Smells incredibly hoppy. Literally jumps out of my glass and into my nose. I get some light maltyness in the backend. Pretty lively and bubbly on my tongue. About the only thing going for it. A hoppy IPA that had sex with a malty coffee brown ale. Hate is not a strong enough word for how I feel about this beer. I'm looking for the litterbox for something to suck on to get this taste out of my mouth. I had have the glass and dumped everything else down the drain. Not before I gave my wife a sip to make sure I wasn't crazy. The look of horror on her face was enough of an answer for me, words were not needed.

Another horrible offering from this company. They have one more chance with me. Their RIS. Hopefully that is good. As it stands right now if Stone was giving me free beer I wouldn't bother drinking any of it.

05-06-2011 15:49:37 | More by TheDudeRules

06-11-2013 01:36:56 | More by kevrice88
chugalug06

Colorado

2.15/5  rDev -49.1%

Personally, I thought this brew was one of the most offensive brews i've ever had... Very strong and upfront booze flavor with hidden hop. For the style, I was looking for hover hopped goodness, none was to be found.

The strong black booze was severely over taking and was very hard to get through. I almost sent back the brew once served. Way too over done; it seems Stone is going more and more this route with their brews :( I wonder if the keg lines have been cleaned recently...

Fairly decent out of the bottle, but no bueno per draft...

C at best, had I been at home... This one would have ended as a drain pour.

04-28-2011 23:07:12 | More by chugalug06

Minnesota_beer_guy

03-25-2014 14:43:19 | More by Minnesota_beer_guy
champ103

2.28/5  rDev -46%

A: Pours nearly opaque black with just a little bit of brown around the edges. A first a small tan head forms, but continues rising to over two fingers. The tightly packed foam gently recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Lots of spiderweb looking lace is left behind.
S: Piny hops up front and dominate. The hops are overly soapy, resiny, and oily. Fusel alcohol. Almost no malty sweetness to speak of.
T: Follows the nose. Plenty of piny and resiny hops. The taste is of Soapy dishwater detergent. A strong lingering bitterness as well as some hot alcohol.
M/D: A medium body and low carbonation. Actually a little thin and watery. Slick and oily. Lots of bitterness and hot alcohol makes this hard to drink. It will be a chore to finish the bomber.

I am not a fan of this at all. I did not get any of the malty notes others have mentioned. Just a black beer with to much soapy hops. No nuance or balance. I would not recommend this.

05-22-2010 00:40:25 | More by champ103
mentor

Colorado

2.3/5  rDev -45.5%

On tap at Old Chicago in downtown Denver. Presented a pint glass with a finger of dark brown head over a black liquid. Smells piney hops with drying coffee roast. A bit piercing medicinal.

Tastes not good. Potent piney hops and drying roast malts. Combined together, they are quite unpleasant. Needs a bit more sweet to temper the edges. Actually, I doubt that increasing the malt sweet could cut the pine. With searching, a touch of caramel and also come burned grain. Alcohol presence is clear and serves to dry the finish, not a good situation. Finish is dry with lingering (but clean) hop bitterness. Md-heavy mouthfeel and moderate carbonation.

Drinkablility is quite low. I choked the beer down, in fact, almost sent it back for something else. Guess what, Stone is the new Rogue. Let's throw an overload of hops into a bunch of different base beers.

10-25-2007 23:56:18 | More by mentor
rousee

2.33/5  rDev -44.8%

Dark onyx color with a thick active 3 centimeter head that holds quite well.

Smell is somewhat vinous with elements of plums or dark cherries and some roasty dark malt undertones.

Taste is similar to the nose but there is more of the roasted malt character noticed throughout. I cant really get into this at all--too vinous and boozy. And the roasted element of the malts tastes like they are burnt.

This has to be the least enjoyed of any Stone beer I have tried.

12-25-2007 02:48:31 | More by rousee
caddyshack199

Maryland

2.4/5  rDev -43.1%

Stone sublimely Self-Righteous Ale
220z
A-dark almost black in color
H-wispy thin head nothing or any significance.
N-
T- heavy stout like, roasted malts, chocolate, HOPS!!! Strong
lingering hop character.
I- not very drinkable. Between the heavyness of the roasted malts and
the bitter hops it's a mouthful.

02-11-2010 00:40:03 | More by caddyshack199

hopmandu

04-09-2014 18:53:49 | More by hopmandu
cmsimeur

01-29-2012 04:31:56 | More by cmsimeur
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.