2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,630 | Reviews: 1,803 | Show All Ratings:
Broden

4.6/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- A deep black beer with a beautiful tan head. Head dissipates but lingers throughout. Beautiful beer.

S- Smell is to die for. Some roasted coffee like notes, a little chocolate, and other roasted malt rests beneath a beautiful hop aroma that just blows me away. Seems to be a perfect balance of hops and roasted malts.

T/M- Taste is equally impressive with the perfect balance of hops, and roasted malts. Extremely easy to drink with a medium body, and a very nice finish.

O- Amazing beer. Definitely my favorite easy to come by, drink any time beer. Possibly one of my favorite beers overall. I would highly recommend this beer to anyone, especially any one looking to explore the black IPA style.

11-27-2012 05:33:44 | More by Broden
BigBrewStu

4.61/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

What a great beer! Dark, a really dark tan color--almost black. Fair carbonation. Coffee fan? You will love this bitter beer! Feels creamy in the mouth, goes down smooth, but has an unexpected bitter finish. This beer is overwhelming, and pretty much dominates your palette. Do not start with this first unless you only plan on drinking this all night, or plan to move up to something even more rich in flavor.

06-27-2013 02:17:29 | More by BigBrewStu
jamie2dope

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Grabbed this brew in Porter Square, which to me delight has the familiar gargoyle from Stone's 10th Anniversary ale. I poured this beer in to a sniffer glass without really reading the description on the back...in fact I didn't really know anything about this beer, but with Stone I feel like you can bet safely that you are getting quality product when you take a chance on one of their brews. The pour was charcoal black, with no light getting through and a white head. "Stout? fuck no, this is way too hoppy for that" I thought, then decided to check out the label. A black ipa certainly sounds like something interesting to me. Aroma had piney hops, grapefruit, earth, and some rough spices. Beer is chocked full of hops in the flavor, with a nice malt touch in there as well. I also detect a slight hint of rye bread and garlic. Mouthfeel is bordering between medium and heavy for me, although that could be in part because of the fact that the dark coloration of this one makes you think that it is a heavy brew. Easy on the drinkability as well, although I would definitely say that this is one to sip and savor. Kickass offering from Stone right here. They should make this a year round kind of brew. Cheers

09-18-2007 00:23:46 | More by jamie2dope
deuschbag

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

22 oz. bomber into my stone 9th anniversery pint glass. pours a dark dark mahogany color, pretty much porter status. off white thick head with nice sticky lacing.

smell is wonderfull. such a great blend of chocolate, piney hops and malts. not one single thing over powers one another. picture perfect balance.

the taste is a resemblence to arrogant bastard but with a few tweeks to it. aggressive piney hops with just the near perfect amount of chocolaty malts which leades to a plesent dry bitter aftertaste.

full bodied soft chewy mouthfeel.

this is quite possibly one of the best fresh and well balanced brews from stone i've ever had. such a better blend than last years 10th anniversery(which was also a great brew too, don't get me wrong). i'll be getting as much fresh bottles of this as possible.

09-18-2007 08:19:41 | More by deuschbag
mrasskicktastic

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

This bottle is consumed (without hesitation of course) in honor of Michael Jackson.

A - Black (dark brown) brew with a large head that dissipates leaving thick intricate lacing all down the sides of the glass. The inital head had the same cascade effect as guinness. Quite attractive.

S - Faint caramel, chocolate and black patent under a viscous onslaught of hops. A very spicy, white pepper dominates with a more subtle pine and lily aroma.

T - The dark flavors are subdued, but there is a detectable flavor of black patent and even a touch of cocoa. But the real flavors are in the hops, the hop assault is peppery with a hint of pine. Aftertaste is a potent bitterness that leaves you craving another sip. Very nice.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, very refreshing in spite of the harshness from the hops.

D - Wow! The abv is felt quickly. Distribution of this beer is wide, but, hell, I might pick up a few of these as trade bait for the future. I suppose the claim that it is not a stout and not a porter, but a black IPA is warranted. It is basically to a porter what an IPA is to an ESB. So really, it is a black IPA. I am guesing more breweries will produce one of these soon.

10-01-2007 02:09:09 | More by mrasskicktastic
pwoods

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

22oz Bomber obtained at The Comet during their Stone's 11th anny pint night.

A: Pours a deep black with some red hues showing on the sides. Not what I excepted... everyone said this was a IPA/DIPA and I've never seen one black before. 1 1/2 fingers of cream colored head. Head settles into a 1finger pillow and laces most of the glass.

S: Huge hops up front. Getting citrus from them but I can't identify it. Plenty of sweet and toasty malted aroma to balance it out. Very interesting.

T/M: The first sip is a struggle between bitter hops and toasty malts. Even from the smell, I never expected the malts to contend with the hops this much... and it's not a bad thing at all. Hops do eventually take over in the finish and stay long after. I could definitely see some people not likely how strong of an aftertaste this leaves.... sucks for them. Full bodied and medium carbonation.

D: It drinks pretty heavy but just tastes so damn good. I'll be picking up more of this every chance I get.

10-04-2007 01:45:34 | More by pwoods
mdubzfrumpdubz

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Bought in NY, smuggled to Chicago, where Stone does not exist....

Out of a 22oz. bomber and into my Delerium Tremens Tulip, this gem pours very dark brown, almost black. Unfortunately my cold does not allow me to pick up all the notes in this one. Roasted malts and a decent hop profile define this beer, but do not overpower the chocolate and some sort of fruit (dates, raisins?) that come through on the back end. There is a slight warming from the alcohol after it is all said and done....until you take another sip....gets more complex as it warms, but again, my cold is not allowing me to identify alot of these tastes. The mouthfeel is exciting but smooth. This is categorized as an American Strong Ale, but it seems like more of an Imperial Stout or Porter. At 8.7%, I'm not sure I could drink this all night, but I wouldn't be afraid to have a couple.

Stone has never let me down before, and judging by this 11th anniversary ale, they probably never will. Well done sirs.

10-14-2007 02:03:06 | More by mdubzfrumpdubz
Trueant1

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a 3 finger creamy billowing head that STICKS around. Dark dark brown that lets little light through. This looks perfect!

Smells of fresh floral pine hops. Very floral. Smells spicy too. Very fresh hop smelling.

I would call this taste... " A very sweet hop bomb." Wonderfully oily pine hops that are very bitter balanced by extremely sweet malts. I big brew that delivers!

Mouthfeel is thick and chewy from the excessive malts that are ment to balance this hop bomb. A little to overcarbonated for me.

Another awsome west coast type beer from Stone. Loved this sweet hop bomb. Am I becoming a hop head?

Notes: The darkest IPA I have ever seen/smelled.

11-02-2007 09:08:55 | More by Trueant1
theformula

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a black, inky body into a tapered goblet, w/ some ruby tones when held to the light. Looks like an RIS, wow. A big tan head quicky forms with excellent retention. Lacing is sticky all the way around the glass. This is a DIPA? Start the revolution!

Pure, unadulterated hops. Massive aroma of citrus, pine and not much else. Those west coast hops have a slight "cat pee" scent, seriously. But it's inviting, not a turn off. Maybe a little charcoal in there but very faint if so. Just a little spicy alcohol as well.

Medium bodie w/ a crisp, moderate carbonation level. M.F. is very full, soft and incredibly smooth. Very nice.

Beautiful, intense and resinous hops. It's strange drinking a pitch black IPA...
Huge grapefruit, lemon, piney hops, very green and grassy which hang around through the finish. An understated yet balancing malt backdrop wraps it up nicely and is lightly sweet and sugary, very similar to Ruination. Some pepper and spice also are biproducts of the hops. Only a subtle, gritty charcoal-esque flavor gives a way the dark malts and a decent, spicy alcohol note makes it warming and more complex.

Stone's done it. A bold, strictly hoppy "DIBA" or whatever, yet not for novices as the alphas are high on the scale here. Great bitterness, very assertive. I'd gladly drink again and will, I bought up plenty (and thanks to trades).
An awesome beer, and drinks pretty well for the ABV.

Highly recommended for the advanced hophead.

11-04-2007 01:25:16 | More by theformula
zealot

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

I live in MN, and don't get access to the Stone gems. I was going to trade this to a friend without tasting it, but he surprised me by opening it and letting me try it with him. Thanks, Jeppe!

I knew this was going to be a black IPA, or an India Black Ale, however you want to call it. I am a big fan of expanding the definitions of traditional styles, and Stone did just that with this brew. Poured dark and opaque. It had a healthy head on it, like any IPA should. Not viscous like an Imp. Stout, but just very different from most beers.

I was too eager to taste this one, so I forgot to dissect the nose. I apologize. But I'm not going to make up a fake one. I'm going it assume it was good, based on my other ratings.

At first I felt a little let down because it just tasted like a regular IPA, but ... wait for it ... the roasted barley showed up. I am pretty sure it was roast barley and not chocolate or black patent - but maybe I'm wrong. But it was a subtle flavor that just boosted the malt profile to round out the flavor and balance the hops. Truly elegant.

Creative and artistic with this beer. Fantastic stuff. It left the great sticky tackiness of a good IPA, but with some added depth from the darker grains. I could have drank the whole bomber, but I just appreciated my taste.

I guess the only criticism I might have would be that I was hoping for just a little more from the dark grains. As stated above, they made their appearance, and it was great, but perhaps just a touch more would have been nice. BUT, the subtleties are what make this the beer that it is.

Get it. Drink it.

11-21-2007 00:45:20 | More by zealot
ericj551

Alberta (Canada)

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Stone 11th anniversary pours a deep black with hints of red when held up to the light. It has a creamy brown head that lingers nicely. The aroma is sweet and malty with loads if citrusy hops. There are hints of darker malts, but not as much as I would expect from the color. The flavor starts with sweet dark caramel, but it quickly gives way to bitter, citrusy hops. If I wasn't looking at the color of this beer I would just assume it was a big resiny DIPA, but if I look for them, the roasted malts come through in the finish. The alcohol and strength are both well hidden, probably because the beer is just overboard with flavor.

12-09-2007 02:33:57 | More by ericj551
kidcas

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

This is a misunderstood BEAUTY. There are very few "black IPAs" on the market. Greg Noonan at Vermont pub and brewery used to brew one and I lived for it. This one takes the cake though. Its appearance is as exciting as the taste profile. The dominant hops are not overpowering so that the chocolate and roasted malts come through. I am not sure why this is labeled as American Strong Ale. It is not like Old Thumper or the old Magic Hat Red Ale, its an IPA on steroids, GREAT BEER.

01-05-2008 04:08:30 | More by kidcas
merryjoulton

Arkansas

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Pours a deep dark rich black with a brown head that sticks around minimally throughout. Good lacing as well. Smell is a beautiful mixture of roasty malts and sticky piny hops--this is a combination that I haven't come across yet and its a welcome frontier. Tastes congruent with smell, most flavors are from the hops--bitter, citrusy, a commanding grapefruit character--but there are roasty chocolatey flavors as well. Mouthfeel is thick but not creamy. Drinkability is great.

05-21-2009 16:41:32 | More by merryjoulton
pixieskid

Germany

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Poured from bomber into my trusty Nonic.
Appearance: was a dark brown; porter, almost stout like with a frothy 1 finger off white head.
Nose: was a huge citrus presence with nice roasted malt overtones.
Taste:Huge bitter citrus bite up front balanced with a strong dark roasted malt.Very complex flavors and unique undertones: Like a strong ipa of grapefruit flavor and a strong bitterness.
Finishes strong with a citrus bite and dark malt with a pleasing bitterness; hides alcohol greatly.
Mouth-feel: Full body and great carbonation with a frothy mouth-feel.

Overall a very solid beer that I found very unique; like a blend of my two favorite styles, solid double IPA and a strong stout. It's been a while that I have been really blown away from a beer and this one did it.
Very glad it showed up at my local bottle shop: Plaza Liquors. Wish I had gotten another one, hopefully it shows up again.

11-15-2009 20:22:30 | More by pixieskid
NightINgale

Russian Federation

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

22oz/650ml bomber poured into a snifter.

A - Looks like an imperial stout at first. Opaque dark brown body, with a nice light brown head and some visible carbonation. Good lacing and head retention.

S - An incredible combination of floral, juicy citrus-like hoppiness, with some caramel tones, and a nice rich roastiness, with hints of dark chocolate and espresso. Barely any alcohol in the nose. The scent is quite unique and very appealing!

T - First you might mistake it for a nice, full-flavoured west-coast IPA, with a good hop bite and some juicy grapefruit notes. The finish, however, has both the bitterness and some nice lingering chocolatey and coffee-like notes. There is also some dark fruit undertones, and a little bit of smokiness, too. Simply outstanding and extremely satisfying!

M - Medium body to it. Some crisp carbonation initially. Smoothly coats the palate, very pleasant in the mouth! For a 8.9% beer, the alcohol is very well-masked!

D - Just because it is so full-flavoured and intense, the drinkability is unlike that of a session ale. But, mind you, it drinks very smoothly and with little effort.

This is easily the best beer I've tried in months, and I try quite a few each month! How about a round of applause for Stone?

01-22-2010 01:50:27 | More by NightINgale
Trizzle

United Kingdom (England)

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Opaque black. Some interesting yellow highlights at the edges while I sip from my wine glass. 1/2" brown head slowly recedes to a tight crema with good lacing for this ABV.

Hops on the nose. Slightly floral and oily. Vague hint of dark sweet malts, some beef stock and yeast.

Huge hops straight up. Started this glass too cold*. Mainly hop bitterness with some slight floral notes.. As it warms the dark malt sweetness comes through much more, especially on the front. Some more beef stock notes through the middle and bitter and oily hops beat you down at the finish. Lingers dry, bitter and slightly floral.

Light malt feel with medium light cartbonation suit fit the mould.

While I couldnt session this by a long shot, i've given it 5/5 for the experience of the drink. Challenging and rewarding.. I'm slowly coming around to these hugely hopped american styles. Well done again Stone.

*This really needs to be tried at cellar-room temp. 15deg Celcius would not be too warm. Too cold and this is just extremely hoppy, bitter and astringent.

02-28-2010 20:01:28 | More by Trizzle
nickfl

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

A - Pours with two fingers of medium tan head that rests on top of a dark brown body with a hint of tan light showing through. The head settles slowly and leaves thick lace clinging to the glass.

S - A strong, green hop aroma up front with notes of pine, more pine, and perhaps lemon. Some dark malt in the background, caramel and toffee, it has a light transformative effect on the hop character to give just a bit of the mustardy note common in american barleywines.

T - Dark toffee malt with a hint of espresso. Citrus hops come in next with lots of grapefruit and orange. The hop bitterness kicks in towards the middle with a sharp wave of powerful bitterness. Some sweet toffee and bready toast sooth the palate briefly before the bitterness comes back on and swells to a crushing finish. Notes of profoundly pithy grapefruit blend with the moderately dark malt to form a spicy, mustardy hop character that lingers into the aftertaste. Lingering notes of blue veined cheese, cigar tobacco, and grapefruit pith.

M - Medium body, moderately low carbonation, and a slightly sweet finish.

D - Wow, this beer impresses from the first whiff of the aroma and doesn't let up until long after the last drop is gone. The hop aroma is spectacular with a very intense and fresh pine note that is much less colored by dark malt than I would have expected based on the style and the color. The flavor is quite a bit darker and more typical of the style, though no less excellent. There is a very nice balance between caramel malts and citrus hops as well as between harsh, acrid bitterness and a subtle, restrained sweetness that appears at just the right moments to encourage your palate to endure the assault and keep the beer drinkable. This is one of the most surprising, complex, and well balanced American strong ales that I have come across and it is one of Stones best efforts (which is obviously saying a lot). A must try.

03-23-2010 06:52:26 | More by nickfl
pecochran1

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

I bought this not knowing what it was only that it came from Stone and I trust them.

After drinking, I still trust!

Much darker than expected, excellent head that lasted just long enough. THe nose was far hoppier than expected but not as malty as the color would lead on. It warmed up and bit probably to where it should be consumed and became more balanced.

I would love to find a clone recipe, for this was a great beer.

06-16-2010 16:27:02 | More by pecochran1
burnerfinger

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

found this and bought it at first sight.

A: Pours super dark, makes me think of rootbeer.
tan coloroed head with great lacing. so dark it's almost opaque

S: I had a really hard time reconginzing this aroma: (hops with a solid-ass malt backbone
the hops stick around for a bit, too! really this is great.

T: great. think of reeses peanut butter cups: 2 great tastes that taste great together!

M: tons of body. standard carbonation

D: this is pretty heavy. I'd better have antoher!

08-17-2010 02:59:05 | More by burnerfinger
JerzDevl2000

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Picked this up in Totowa last week because I heard so many good things about it. Sure enough - they were all true. There's no doubt that this was the best beer that I tried for the first time this year and might possibly be the best offering that I've had from Stone, which is saying quite a bit given their roster!

Much darker pour to this than I envisioned since I didn't know this was an American Black until I logged onto here. There was decent amount of head and a great hop aroma to this beer; maybe one the best that I've ever smelled! The taste was just a nice amount of hops that was neither too strong nor too short-lasting. Warm, citrus notes with some floral accents that reminded me of the Troegs beers that I also enjoy so much.

Who cares if this is strong. I enjoyed it so much that it took a while to work my way through the bottle. I'm used to darker beers having more of a sugar or caramel bend to them but in this instance, this seemed more like a very hoppy ale or an amber ale. The balance is wonderful here and the only way to equate the bittersweet aftertaste is with my feelings as I took the empty bottle out to recycling. This is about as good as beer gets if you're a hophead. Kudos to Stone!

02-19-2011 00:04:37 | More by JerzDevl2000
SawDog505

New Hampshire

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

I chose one of the most influential beers as my 20th review. This beer really opened my eyes a year ago. Poured a 22 oz bomber into my 13 oz tulip glass. Pours a gorgeous black, with a 3 inch light tan head. Crazy amount of lacing. Smell is heavenly. Piney, citrusy hops, with a hints of chocolate. It is amazing that they work so well with each other. The taste is similar, with some burnt malts & a hint of booze in the finish. Has a fairly thick body for such a easy drinking high abv beer. Plenty of carbonation. This is an amazing beer and did the same for black IPAs as Nirvana did for grundge music.

06-05-2011 18:41:00 | More by SawDog505
fields336

Served in an ommegang tulip, 12 oz pour served on tap at proof

A: dark black, opaque with a finger of mocha, khaki carbonated head. Nice looking beer. Nice lacing sticks to the sides of the glass.

S: Piney hops and some dark chocolate, definitely some latent malts, some roastyness, and a slight sweetness. surprisingly I'm not getting a whole lot from this.

T: big coffee and piney and grapefruity hops hit at the front of the palate, dark chocolate in the middle of the tongue. Ligerimg hops and a slight sweetness stay as an aftertaste. This is an extremely complex and tasty beer. As it warms, more toasty and chocolate notes are present.

M: medium bodied, creamy but finishes bitter and slightly dry. Whets your palate for more.

O: black IPA's are a fun hybrid style, I think stone nails it again with this beer. Truly a treat and one of my favorite breweries.

07-01-2011 04:40:06 | More by fields336
stover4

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Someone said it best, "looks like used motor oil" lol, but don't let that deter you. The head could use a little help, but everything else is quite delightful.

As with all stone beer, you'll taste some hops, but there is something about this one that merges flavors into something truly special. This is the type of beer you savory as it warms up a bit. It's no wonder they serve it in a brandy snifter type glass. It's the fine cognac of stone's beers, and if you've tried their beer you know they don't mess around.

This beer was not going to be sold to the masses originally, but the employees loved it so much they had to share their passion with everyone. Thank you Stone Brewing, truly a work of art.

02-28-2012 08:22:56 | More by stover4
brentusaurus

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

Bomber poured into duvel tulip

A: Pours a nice brown, nearly black in the glass. Nice tan head with decent lacing, this is one of the best things I love about Black IPAs.

S: Roasted malt, citrus and pine

T: Much like the nose, deep malt toastiness with orange citrus that shines, great flavor combination

M: Great body, bitterness not too high, nice creaminess, another thing I love about the black IPA style, and stone doesn't disappoint

Great beer, one of my favorite Black IPAs, definitely the benchmark for the style.

09-08-2012 07:14:33 | More by brentusaurus
M_C_Hampton

Georgia

4.63/5  rDev +9.7%

A: poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, dark dark brown almost black with a 2" light tan head that is thick and lingers leaving great lacing, clear

S: has an amazing floral nose of hops blended with coffee, caramel, dark fruits, prunes, raisins, cherries

T: taste is very pleasant and follows the nose, bitter sweet, hops and grapefruit blended with sweeter dark fruits, bitter up front, sweet in the middle, dry finish, missing some malt flavors though

M: I expected this to be thicker., medium with lower carbonation, alcohol well hidden

O: this is a well made beer with terrific flavors, well hopped with dark fruit sweetness for balance, an excellent black ale

11-25-2012 02:43:39 | More by M_C_Hampton
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.