2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale - Stone Brewing Co.

Sublimely Self-Righteous AleSublimely Self-Righteous Ale

Stone Brewing Co. visit their website

American Black Ale |  8.70% ABV

(Beer added by: Gueuzedude on 09-02-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,622 | Reviews: 1,802 | Show All Ratings:
Elric14

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

The beer poured well. The head kept longer than I could wait to drink it. This beer had one of the most intense and pleasing aromas of a beer in a long time. Mouthfeel was pleasingly thick with a slight bite at the end. taste suggested dark burnt candy, rasins and coffee. could feel the alcohol warmth after first sip (gulp). very good beer, but could drink this all night.

08-22-2009 19:21:52 | More by Elric14
tattooedtolley

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Pours an awesome slick looking black. A friend of mine described the smell and taste as a black grapefruit smoothie, which I find kind of perfect really. Big hop nose, tons of grapefruity hop resinous smell. On the tongue its got plenty of bitterness to satisfy or scare, just a delicious mix of hops. I loved this beer as the anniversary and this was my first beer when I visited Stone (it still hadn't hit shelves here in VA). I'd buy a couple cases right now if someone here had it.

12-14-2009 05:34:17 | More by tattooedtolley
jampics2

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Dark black pour into my snifter from a 22oz bottle, a recent batch - this arrived in town the day before my pour. Eggshell head, looks great.

Citrus nose, pineapple, pine, dank, stinky hops dominate the scents I'm detecting.

Taste is awesome. Dank pineapple tinged bitterness followed by a nice chocolate roast. Such a great mix of two flavors that are difficult to make jive together the right way. I loved this as the XI Anniversary and love it even more as fresh SSR.

Mouth is lively, nice on the tongue but a bit prickly in my throat. Nice thick body.

Graded on a curve for it's strength and dominant, ruinous hop taste, this "luscious velvety hop bomb" may be the best black IPA ever.

12-17-2009 23:57:20 | More by jampics2
Lynux

Missouri

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Crap man, this is good beer!

Nice dark brown color with a creamy beige head. Looks just like a porter.

Smells wonderful with a fruity hop bouquet up front and some roasty aroma in the finish. Smells simply sublime.

Nice fully body with some malt sweetness then a kick of American hops. Firmly bitter finish with some roasty flavor from the carafa.

Man, this beer rocks.

01-05-2010 00:50:53 | More by Lynux
climax

Missouri

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Black like a stout, could definitely fool ya, with a nose this full of hops. The head was massive and receded two a constant finger of lumpy foam.

Roasty notes from a stout or porter seemed to be at the forefront, while the hops made up the backbone, stinging the nostrils to let me know it's not kidding. Interesting, and a certain joy to whiff. Very sharp grapefruit and tropical citrus showed off the muscle, and lesser notes of clove, bubblegum, and alcohol lurk within.

What a flavor explosion! It starts out with an assault of hops, slightly soapy, but none too harsh. Perfect. Yea, I had it at a 4.5, but I gave in. This is excellent. Grapefruit, floral notes, and bubblegum flavors at the beginning made it seem like a typical Imperial IPA. Then the sweet and roasted flavor of dark chocolate, brown sugar, and a bitter coffee finish took over.

There was maybe a bit more body than a strong IPA, but this is no thick brew. It's incredibly smooth, and the carbonation is spot on IMO. It finishes surprisingly clean, and not too dry. Sublimely easy to drink, with righteous flavor, Bravo Stone.

11-02-2010 02:33:02 | More by climax
jizfiasco

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Have had this brew many times and the consistency amazes me always the same. The beer pours black like a stout with a great lasting head. The smell is a hop explosion like an IPA with a tad of sweetness some roastyness and a mild smoke character. Taste is absolutly what a black IPA should be and the best I've had in the style. I can taste candied hops perfect roasted malt flavors and the best part is the coffee taste is minimal. Will continuously go to this beer to get my fix of dark malt as its excellent and easy to get.

08-03-2011 14:14:03 | More by jizfiasco
lordofstarside

Nevada

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Had many times before, first review of it
Bomber to snifter, best by 10/27 date

Beautiful bottle work with a signature long narrative on the back.
Pours pitch black with a finger of a light brown head. Excellent lacing, great retention

Aroma of coffee, hops, and chocolate. carmal malts shine through with a hint of aocohol

Taste is very bitter, strong hops, coffee, toffee, and the caramel malt all blend together well. Hints of vanilla come through on the after taste. Very good

The feel is probably my favorite part of this beer. Very creamy and smooth, goes down quite easy. Little carbonation to get in the way of the taste

Over all this is the beer getting me interested in black ipas. One of my favorites, will continue to be one of my regular pick ups

09-16-2012 06:52:43 | More by lordofstarside
AmitC

Indiana

4.68/5  rDev +10.9%

Awesome beer. Had it at a tasting.

Pours heavy dark brown with a good amount of head. Leaves a lot of lacing. Decent amount of carbonation as well.

Smell : Well very unlike a black ale, hugely filled with hops, floral and piney. A little bit of roasted malt, coffee, porter type of smell.

Taste: Here lies the magic. The bitterness is not at all felt but you know it is bitter, very bitter. Hops are huge. All sorts of taste, very complex, yet delightful. It has a lot of piney, spicy, citrusy, floral taste. A little amount of porter like taste and some grapefruit. Awesome.

Medium to full bodied beer. A good presence in the mouth. Mainly, a bit oily of course but good feel, nonetheless.

Sublime, it truly is. Stone, as usual, never disappoints. Not only that, it over delivers all the time. Excellent stuff there. Highly recommended for hop heads for winter drinking.

10-13-2012 01:14:27 | More by AmitC
vette2006c5r

4.69/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale pours a black color, with a small lacing head. There is a nice smokey, but mostly floral aroma. The taste has a sharp hoppy kick, then finished smooth and smokey, with hints of a burnt like malt flavors. Good full flavors. Overall this beer is soo incredibly enjoyable, great full intense flavors.

04-22-2013 03:31:47 | More by vette2006c5r
chefboy812

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

A love child of a Stout and an IPA?!?!

Stone has done it again, taking an extreme and making it extreme(er?).

Upon opening the bomber, befor I even poured it into the glass, the aroma hits you and gets your mouth watering.

It pours chestnut brown with a mild storm that builds a light caramel head that rises to a finger or so then starts to fall and holds to a lacey ring.
I was impressed by the balanced battle of grainy roasty aroma with hints of coffee and molassas with the hops spicey piney strength.

My first sip dissappointed me with a lack of vicosity that my mind was preparing for. but that dissappointment was quickly slapped out of my head by the intence continuation of the aromatic battle for the nose.

usually(to me) flavors come in and fade out with different highlights throuout the taste and the glass. But this; everything is there the whole time, the malt, the hops pushing against each other for pallete dominance. neither gaining advantage over the other, until the very end. long after the sip is swallowed, the hops fade out leaving a satifying roasty bite that lingers until the next sip.

All in all agreat beer, but it is a thinker.

10-02-2007 16:07:09 | More by chefboy812
Deuane

On tap at Brew House Grill

A--Nearly pitch black...not what I expected. Slight deep ruby highlights on edges. Nice, fluffy, off-white head. Laces very nicely.

S--Huge hops, lots of pine resin and citrus. Must be dry-hopped to high heaven as I could not discern a malt presence at all.

T--BAM! hops flavors are grapefruit and pine. More tasting unveils a bit of chocolate, caramel and roasted malt flavors. Finishes with a ton of hops in the aftertaste.

M--Big rich and full bodied with tons o hops and a nice malt afterkick.

D--Lots o hops and a good malt backbone...what more could you want. I really enjoyed drinking this offering from Stone...another fine offering! I could easily drink 2 or 3 in a row...well done!

10-15-2007 11:29:20 | More by Deuane
abcsofbeer

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Poured from a 22oz bomber with the painted label and no drink by date. The color is very dark brown/black that is topped by a two finger creamy head, tan in color. The head holds with excellent retention and lots of sticky lace. There is a sweet citrus aroma that is abundantly hoppy with a nice bouquet of hop oil freshness.

The taste is superb with a very good blend of hops and malt. The bitterness and alcohol flavors are apparent and get stronger toward the bottom of the glass. The mouthfeel is light bodied and very very taste. This is one of the best beers I have tasted.

10-27-2007 23:13:59 | More by abcsofbeer
mdm4584

Arizona

Bought a bomber at AJ's in Scottsdale, AZ.\

The brew w/o tasting has very hoppy IPA scent.

After pouring has a thick, long-lasting, lacy head. Piney, herby, citrusy dominates.

Pungent taste. Strong pine taste on tongue... almost overdoing it... almost.

Perfect for a hophead!

I think this is one of the most hop crazy beers I've had in a long time. Be wary!

11-10-2007 06:19:44 | More by mdm4584
froggyfrog

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Holy crap! I unexpectedly came across a bottle of this tonight and although I wasn't planning on reviewing it, I feel it deserves mentioning here.

For appearance: the beer was black as any stout of good lineage could be expected to be. Opaque and solid, lacey and full - all good roasted barley beer qualities in attendance.

Aroma is the high point of this all around stand-out brew. With eyes closed the nose almost made me believe I was quaffing a Weyerbacher 11. If that reference is not meaningful to you, let me just say - think of the richest hop medley aroma you can conjure and you'd have the nose on this beer.

In flavor comes the uniqueness of this anniversary ale. It is at once a full-bodied IPA and a completely unsour strong porter/fully mellow yet rich stout. I'm gushing, I know, but this beer really is superb. It nails every point I expected from the description.

Mouthfeel means full but not filling. demanding but not overpowering, rich but not gut-busting.

Drinkability is really quite amazing considering the beer's roots. Stone really pulled this off. A truly unique and thoroughly enjoyable beer.

Wow.

12-19-2007 08:52:31 | More by froggyfrog
pheggeseth

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Obtained from PHawk in our massive Darkness trade.

Poured into my Aventinus glass.

A: pours a dark ruby brown and quickly forms a big, khaki head, lacing everywhere, looks great

S: almost all hops, but a deep, dark citrus thanks to the huge malt back

T: hop bite up front, but an intriguing almost sweet red berry in the middle, which tapers into an oaky finish.

M: smooth, a little less carbonation than I was expecting, slightly creamy, but still bitey from the hops

D: very hoppy, yet the intense malt backbone compliments it very well. A very unique "IPA" that is a sipper but quite delicious. Had to save some of mine for the next night.

01-21-2008 19:51:43 | More by pheggeseth
gnbird

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

I picked this up while looking for Stone's 13 anniversary beer at Bevmo. This is not what I expected at all. I was thinking it was maybe a brown ale. Upon pouring into imperial pint glass, it looked much like a Russian Imperial Stout. Dark coffee black in color with a foamy brown head. Head dissipated after a few minutes. So excited that it was a stout, I went for a smell and this is where I was surprised yet again. Smell was grapefruit, much like a Ruination but a little sweeter.

Taste is so mind blasting. At 9ABV Stone comes through again by making a very drinkable strong ale, that hides the booze very well. It's hard to describe the complex flavors, but it's like drinking a blended imperial IPA with RIS. The hops come through up front with grapefruit bite with a very coffee, malty and chocolate aftertaste. What a beer my friends, very complex and satisfying. If you like Imperial Stouts and IPAs this beer will not disappoint you.

08-11-2009 01:00:23 | More by gnbird
soupyman10

District of Columbia

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Had this one out of the bottle the other day and enjoyed it immensely - figured I'd take the step to the draft version since it was available. It's basically a mix of a double IPA with a double stout, all huge chocolate, roasted malt and caramel, but simultaneously a huge drying hop bomb. Body is perfect for the what the beer is. Would definitely pick it up again.

Pizzaria Paradiso/$7/12 oz

11-06-2009 21:51:55 | More by soupyman10
Echosolace

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

I came across this first on draught in Stubbies in Gainesville FL. I wasn't told the name, just that it was a black IPA. My friend got one first, him not being a beer lover, thought it was pretty good, so I ordered one and I flipped my shit. I could not, for the love of God, put it down. Once that stuff connected with my tongue, it was over and 2 more had to be on the way. Now I'm reviewing it in bottle form and it's just as good as I remembered it.

A: Nothing this dark have I had the pleasure of experiencing as a beer so unexpectedly refreshing and light(er). It is really dark, and it's not something I quite expected from the taste. From the look of it I'd expect something more like Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout, and if you know that one, then you can understand my surprise.

S: It's very present, but not overflowing. Kind of like a barbecue. It plays a big role in the taste.

T: Solidly smoked grains play in chord with the light bite of the hops. Malts are deftly woven as a foundation, more or less unnoticed by my tongue. A long aftertaste remains, like having a partly overcooked piece of chicken with charcoaled skin to bite through, and it is spectacular... Hold on, the glass is empty... I'll be right back. Mmm, much better. One more thing, it's always seemed a bit salty to me, I like it alot.

M: The bubbly is pretty shallow. It's the only thing I could hope for more of. It is good, just in my preference, I could enjoy a bit more.

D: Hell, even my burps are delicious. What do you think it's like going down? If I had this for every day of my life, well, for one I'd have an awesome beer belly, but secondly, I don't think you could find me tired of this taste. At least give me 20 years with this stuff, then maybe I'll reconsider.

05-20-2010 20:20:44 | More by Echosolace
drpimento

Wisconsin

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Whoaaaa! This beer IS righteously titled. Normally I don't go too much for hoppy dark beers, but this one is GREAT!! Poured with a smallish tan head and a little lace. Color is a very dark almost black brown. Aroma is very hoppy, roasty, cocoa, malt, toffee, iron. Flavor's similar to nose. Hop is not fruity, thank goodness. Great body and carbonation fit the style perfectly. Finish (with good burps!) is like flavor, mostly bitter with a hint of malt sweetness to smooth it out and is of medium length. Session for sure, even though it's so rich. Excellent!

06-28-2010 23:10:24 | More by drpimento
rogueleonardi

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

Review done from notes - Had on tap at Indiana Brewers Guild Winterfest. (1 of only 2 beers stone had on tap that night)

A - Looks like used motor oil, dense dark black color with a thin dark brown head. You can still see some carbonation bubbles rise up the side.

S - Nice aroma, some hop forward characters with lots of different malts ligering leaving hints of coffee chocolate and a bit of sweet caramel. Also a strong piney hop flavor leaving giving this a full balanced aroma.

T - Spectacular! I've never had such a dark beer have so much hop flavor it. All the hops completely overpower any chance the malts had to make this a sweet beer. The strong piney hops give this beer such a unique flavor, its very refreshing.

M - I was expecting a much thicker feeling taste. This poured pretty heavy, but as I drank it I realized the viscosity was actually pretty thin. Still had a good amount of carbonation making for a drinkable, refreshing beer.

O - Overall a world class beer, Not a perfect 5 but close.

02-20-2012 17:45:07 | More by rogueleonardi
Brubaker

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

A- Pours black with a 3+ finger light mocha colored head. Slight deep red hues on the edges. Slight head persists.

S- I could smell it the moment it was opened. On closer inspection the intense spicy hops are first immediately followed by strong malts. No alcohol in the nose.

T- First flavor is sweet as it roll over the tongue. The fruit & flower of the hops fight the coffee roast for second. Alcohol pops in for third flavor. Then the hop bitter show up forth. The coffee comes back fifth surrounded by sweet, bitter, & alcohol persisting for a very long time. The roast & bitter accumulate as one drinks.

M- Smooth in the mouth. Fine textured with light but prevalent carbonation.

O- Wow! That's enjoyable. Great range of big flavors as equally balanced as 3 UFC fighters playing King of the Hill. This is good for any occasion.

Would Drink
Would Buy
Would Make

08-25-2012 18:42:24 | More by Brubaker
ZethOfTheNorth

Louisiana

4.7/5  rDev +11.4%

22 oz bottle bought for $5.79. Best by 11/10, so this should be pretty fresh.

A: Very black, dramatically so. Disappointingly small head that's gone almost immediately. Like many IPAs, doesn't appear very carbonated.

S: Full, fantastic pine and citrus hop aroma. Despite its appearance, I don't get a trace of roasty smells, just hop glory.

T: Wonderful. Pine and soft tangerines. Significantly bitter. Very long taste.

M: Heavier than Stone IPA, but not the heaviness of, say, a porter. A bit of a prickle also.

O: This is unlike any other beer and is remarkably affordable given its quality. In a lineup that ranges from good (porter, pale) to incredible (IPA, IRS), Sublimely Self Righteous is maybe Stone's apotheosis.

09-21-2012 15:32:15 | More by ZethOfTheNorth
IntriqKen

Oh, yeah!
This brew says, "Anniversary" more than any anniversary brew I've had.
This brew states what the brewer is all about and shows the growth and maturity they've achieved in their short 11 years.
This brew shouts, "Celebrate with us"....Arrogantly...most Arrogantly.

Pours a deep dark mahogany black with a tan full two finger head that melts slowly to very sticky lace.

As soon as you open the bottle you are hit with incredibly fresh west coast citrus peel hops and flooded with pine oils.

One sip and your mouth is filled with an incredibly smooth sweet amber malt then totally overpowered by the fresh...and I mean FRESH ... citrus and pine oil hops.

Mouthfeel is almost creamy...much smoother than you would expect from an IPA...
Aftertaste is a balancing act between the sweet amber malt and all of those pine oils.
I really don't know why this is listed as an American Strong Ale...to me it is a wonderful DIPA.

I have to give it high marks because I like the beat....I can understand what it is saying to me...and I can dance to it.
This stuff is that good!

09-14-2007 02:20:55 | More by IntriqKen
forty

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%

I wasn't quite sure what to expect from a 'dark IPA' but I was very pleasantly surprised by the result. It poured almost pitch-black with a perfect, creamy head that never disappeared and left some rich lacing on the glass. The taste seemed to me like a perfect marriage of a top-notch Stout or Porter and IPA. The rich malts were superbly balanced by the bold, yet not overly bitter hops and the bottle went down very easily. I was amazed at how drinkable this rich, strong beer proved to be. Perfectly executed.

EDIT: It was so good, it inspired me to write my first review

10-09-2007 14:47:34 | More by forty
CharlieMopps

4.72/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Pours a completely foreboding, opaque black that produces an immensely dense head and sticky lacing along the sides of the tulip.

S: Lots of grapefruit (and, dare I say, pineapple) in the nose, very hopped out with a hint of pine and grass. Overall, an aromatic swirl of hops with a spicy tinge.

T: Upon examining the beer visually, I was curious about the lack of malty notes in the bouquet, being overpowered by the hop presence. However, the taste reveals a subtle, but detectable roasted malt character underneath a wave of grapefruit-citrus hops. Actually, there is quite a balance stuck here. With enough malt in the base to push this hop attack through, it's reminiscent of an Arrogant Bastard in a sense, only with seemingly more complexity with more relaxed results. Aftertaste is a lingering citrusy taste and that hint of malt sticks around a smidgeon, too. Gets even better as it warms.

M: Plenty of carbonation that produces a rather velvety mouthfeel. Oily hop residue subsides smoothly in the finish, coating the back of the mouth but with a sweetness from the malt that avoids a disgusting aftertaste.

D: Complexity, balance, and an arsenal of flavor, this beer is fantastic. I expected nothing less from Stone, but was still blown away by what I got. This one should definitely not be missed, and even though it's flavors and alcohol are dialed up, it is remarkably drinkable in nature.

10-20-2007 21:38:57 | More by CharlieMopps
Sublimely Self-Righteous Ale from Stone Brewing Co.